New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ashes of Aequaria IC

"E-e-excuse m-me. I-i-is t-that m-man g-g-going l-live?" Tali stutters, lowering Frexy to the ground as she follows the others.

Finally taking in the sight of the other bodies on the ground, her bottom lip starts quivering as she hugs Janie tightly.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble looked back at the girl, nodding his head. "That vial of liquid helped ... he should live. But those others look too busy for such talk." He stepped back away from the group as they ignored Thumble, Slobber, Taliana and Frexy, intent on searching for something ... a message did one of the women say?

He turned back to Taliana. "How did you get here?"
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    The woman smiles, and spits to one side - a large silvery gobbet that flies some five feet.

'Ye ain't half so dumb as ya look, mountain man. I'm glad I let me kids have the benefit of seeing me clobber ya'.

She appraises you.

'By the way, never did catch yer name? Mine's Corporal Irena Sturbish - o' Lord Merryem's 3rd Mounted Infantry - what's yours?'

After Ursuul's reply, the woman crouches.

'Well then - let's see if ya can take ma strongest blow'.

She steps forward, and lashes out.

Power Attack (-5 from attack, -2AC, +5 damage)
    Attack (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage (1d3+7)[8]

Edit: The blow thunders into Ursuul's armoured chest. It does no damage, but Ursuul can feel the force of it through the armour.

Ursuul realises the witch has been pulling her punches up to now.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-07-08 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ursuul smiles warmly at her compliment. The blow feels stronger than he can muster, but knows it won't land easily against him. Too wild and slow.

My name is Ursuul, from the North. You're not half bad yourself, but I know the pups around us don't measure up in this one lick. Time to end it!

With that Ursuul lunges forward with one of his hands to grab to top of her head and slam her to the ground. If he succeeds, he will let his weight fall with her and attempt to straddle her chest to pin her to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Touch attack to initiate Trip: (1d20+5)[21]

Strength Check to Trip: (1d20+8)[12]

If trip succeeds:

Touch attack to Initiate grapple against -4 AC:(1d20+5)[6]

This provoke an AoO on Ursuul, if she hits it stops the grapple. She is at a -9 to hit (-4 from being prone and -5 from power attack).

Strength Check to do unarmed damage in grapple: (1d20+5)[20]

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    This time Ursuul grabs hold of a fold of the woman's clothing. However, Ursuul tries to pull her straight forwards to trip her, and she is easily able to resist.

She smiles, showing her yellowed teeth.

'Well, ye took ma blow without flinching. Fer that ya have ma respect'.

'Well, we've gi'en each other a bit o' a bruisin...might be good ta end it now. Wanna be in decent shape if we're gonna fetch back yer beasts back from the giants'.

'On the other hand, if ye want ta continue...I won't hold back'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Carefully stepping around the bodies on the ground, Tali follows Thumble.
    "I-i've b-b-been t-trying to f-find m-my m-m-mother. S-s-she l-left me a-and M-m-malconian w-with O-o-ol' N-nan w-w-when D-daddy d-d-died f-from h-his s-s-sickness.
    I-i-i've b-been t-told s-s-she m-might l-live in t-the f-f-forests a-around h-h-here. She's an Elf."
    she tells the Gnome, the last sentence coming out sounding proud, and with no stuttering or sobbing.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble blinked in surprise. "Your mother? Thumble hasn't heard about an elf living in the woods, but we could try and help you ..."

Thumble wracked his memory for any sign or word from the animals of a lone elven woman living in the woods.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Thumble remember any such rumors? Or are there any appropriate knowledge skills to attempt for this?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

For Starbin
    Spoiler
    Show

OoC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, you only have Knowledge (Nature) as a trained skill, and I believe that you're not able to make untrained Knowledge checks...not that many of them would be of much help. This is what's commonly known.

Thumble racks his brains. In his time living wild in the woods he's not come across anyone living a similar existence.

There are a few smaller hamlets and settlements beyond Forcehead... that could be said to be living in the woods.

Elves are not well liked in Flamia, and they make up a very small portion of the population - they are mostly concentrated near the Aelfica mountains. There are also a fair few people of elvish descent in varying numbers - they suffer more discrimination if anything, though the discrimination is much less of a problem in this area.

There are some elvish folk and people of elvish descent in Forcehead. They generally have an easier existence than elves elsewhere in Flamia. Their community seemed fairly tight to Thumble when he passed through.

Most elves come either from the distant kingdom of Paros, or from a mysterious forest kingdom, beyond the Aelfican range. It is very difficult to get to, and this is not the usual way (though it would be the shortest route as the crow flies).
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ursuul lets out a slow breath as he looks to her. His hands clenching and unclenching. He wipes a bit of sweat from his brow before reaching behind him. His travel keg going flying towards her with the speed of a gentle toss, but weighing in at almost 50lb it isn't a light catch.

Good enough to give 'em a decent idea of how bad thins can go. You coulna land a decisive hit because ya were too wild with tha swingin bout, ana I couldn't topple ya and pin ya propper cause ya a right hard tadpole ta grasp. Ifin itda kep goin on either ya woulda hada settle fer whittlin me down with weaker punches...or Ida had to try ana jes clobber ya stupid...not a decisive way to be handlin it. No matter how much I lika give a lass a good hard pound ever nahngain.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corporal Sturbish stands aside as the keg arcs towards her and catches it side on with both arms sweeping along its trajectory to arrest its momentum.

The Corporal grins.

'Aye, ya have a reasonable sense o' the tactics o' it...I'd either have had to whittle ya down - or start hittin' ya vital areas - but that's a little rough fer a sparrin' match'.

The Corporal grabs a tankard, and gestures to the keg for permission. She pours a half pint, and drinks it, swilling it around in her mouth before swallowing.

'Hmm...t'ain't bad. Full flavoured, decent kick, my thanks'.

'I'll hold off fer a bit...'cause - ya know, giants, an' I'd already had a pint with our dinner just now'.

'I'd offer ya a taste of ours - but it's not great - military surplus

'If ya really like fine ale, a friend o' mine in town's somethin' o' a brewer. He runs the Blue Leopard tavern, but he's somethin' o' an experimenter - I could give ya his name an lodgin's if ya like'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble shook his head finally. "We have not seen any elves in the woods ... they're not liked around here. Most elves we've heard of live either in the mountains, or in Forcehead."

Glancing back at the others, who seemed to be searching around the area, he pointed to one of the women. "I think she said something about going back to Forcehead ... maybe they can help you there!"

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

"N-not l-l-liked? B-b-but m-my m-m-mother i-is n-n-nice! S-she j-j-just g-got r-ready s-s-sad w-when d-d-daddy d-d-died."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lena blows her breath out through her teeth. "Elf. Nixie. Tax Collector; we can account our crew when back under canvas. Or rather better. Whatever the lil' rabbit-choker is; I'll tell ye what she isn't, and that's a greycloak frother runnin' at yer wit' an axe".

" Lady Beigette," she says, turning toward that worthy. "I'm a' goin' t' ask ye straight; if I were t' look around for those reports in the wagon, would I find them? Or maybe ye coul' answer, Soldier?" she darts a look at Cass.

"'cause time presses. And weather waits. And threat is waitin' after. An' I don' wan' t' be stuck in the middle o' all three if it could all be avoided by one o' ye givin' a simple one-word answer."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ursuul chuckles a bit to them. Feeling the drink a bit more than he let on innitially. His face is beginning to flush as he thinks of the most absurd things. Like if female dwarves grow beards, or if it is their nethers that are braided and jeweled like a beard...or if their are any male elves cause all the ones he's met look and sound like wee lasses...or how far he could punt a gnome with a good running start.

Shaking himself back into a more stable mind he lets a smile grow over his face.

Bein a bit o brewer meself, I may jus havta take yup on dat one mefriend. Thinin me'n'im get long jes fine. Mit evan trade a bit'o secratses wif one 'nother given nough time ta chew the fatsansuches.

Who nas...givn week rso aft my ass be saved, maybeh can setya boyos and lassessessss oop wit a bit be'er ale as a thankeey. Errr a'lease git ya a barrel or two ta save ya from drenkin tha hot horse piss ya git thar.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass has hauled a small locked chest from the wrecked wagon. It's made of an exotic dark wood, with brass fittings. It's about a foot wide, a foot tall, and a foot and a half long. It seems to hinge in the middle. It's plain, with nothing but polished dark wood on each surface.

Suddenly a man appears from the woods, surprising everyone except Lena. He snaps off a crisp salute to Lena.

For Lena
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is, of course, Sergeant Takolan.

'Let me give you a hand commander'. The man's dressed in brown, from head to toe, wearing stout boots, leggings, a tunic, a jerkin and hood. His mouse hair is tousled, and a fine stubble covers his face. Two long knives are sheathed at his hips.

The man moves over to Thumble and Tali. He leans over the man that they've ministered to.

'What a mess they made of him. Try and get this man awake, if you can. We should be ready to move out quickly. If he comes to, ask him where they hid the logbooks'.

The man looks away from them as he says this - in fact he doesn't seem to be able to hold anyone's gaze.

For Thumble
    Spoiler
    Show
    This man has something of the wild about him. He moves with a natural grace - as if he were completely at home in the wilderness. You sense a kindred spirit.

The man pads over to the wagon, dives in, and starts rummaging through it, tossing out rubbish, bedrolls and canvas, as he searches. Once he's cleared the cart, he looks up for a moment at Cass - staring at her, straight in the eye.

'Soldier, either lend a hand with this, or get that medicine chest open and put it to good use. See if any more of your comrades are still in the land of the living!'

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corporal Sturbish nods.

'Why thankee, I'm sure we'd all appreciate that'. she seems genuinely appreciative of the offer.

The slight young lady soldier takes out a small box from one of their saddlebags and dabs a little ointment on the Corporal's face. The Corporal mutters something, but acquiesces - looks like she'll have a black eye.

As Ursuul sits down, he realises the Corporal's split his lip slightly.

After she's finished ministering to the Corporal, the young woman tosses a little tin to Ursuul, and mimes rubbing it on. The tin seems to hold a clear ointment - the same as the one she applied to the Corporal.

The big red haired young soldier walks over.

'Well done. You gave the Corporal a bit of a run for her money. It's something of a rite of passage around here to lose your spare shirt and your first week's pay betting against the Corporal in a fistfight'.

'Mind yer mouth, Burke. A smart soldier always keeps somethin' back, 'til when it's really needed. Learn that an' ye may jus' have a chance o' becommin' an' old soldier'.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-07-14 at 08:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Thunder sounds out again, reverberating through the mountains - still distant, but getting closer.

Does anyone want to search the battlefield, try to wake the wounded soldier, or help the brown clad soldier search the wagon? If you look for specific things you will get better odds.

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Corporal grimaces at the sound of the thunder.

'Break out the slickers, Lisandra'. Sturbish turns to Ursuul.

'Do you have anythin' with ya ta keep the water off? Might be able ta loan ya a spare oilskin if not...'

The Corporal frowns.

'The rain comes down pretty thick an' quick 'round here. Maybe I'd better see the tracks the giants left before the rain washes 'em out...'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    My bad ... I totally forgot to respond to this yesterday!

Thumble raised a hand apologetically to Tali. "Thumble's not saying they don't like your mother ... but elves are not well liked. They would probably like your mother if they got to know her ..."

Before he could continue the conversation, a man arrived from the edge of the clearing, saluting to Lena and offered to help her. Before he did, he walked over to the wounded soldier and turned to Thumble and Taliana. 'What a mess they made of him. Try and get this man awake, if you can. We should be ready to move out quickly. If he comes to, ask him where they hid the logbooks'.

The gnome blinked, surprised at being addressed directly by one of the big people. But there was something about this man that put him at ease, so he nodded hesistantly, then moved to the wounded soldier's side. Slobber followed him, happily, as Thumble gently shook the man, trying not to hurt him. His companion whined a little, then leaned down and gave the man a big, wet lick, staring expectantly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully that does it! If we get him awake, then Thumble will ask about these 'log books' ... although why anyone would want to make a book out of a log is beyond me!
    Last edited by Starbin; 2013-07-16 at 09:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ursuul shakes his head at the question of a way to keep dry. His hand working the pomace he was tossed into his bruised skin and split lip. Occassionally stopping to spit out a bit of blood from his lip.

Nah, ain't got nothin to keep me dry cept my own addled wits.

As fer losing to her, I can see why. She may not hit as hard as I do, but she got plenty experience fightin. Lass has seen more battles than I have whores. Right problem is, she can shift herself between defense like a tower and hittin like a cannon when needin ta. Ifin ya ain't fougt many real fights she can jus wear ya out like a cheap pair oh boots and then hammer ya down at her leisure. I woulna bet gainst her in mos cases.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    The pomace stings slightly, and then feels cool. It soothes the sting.

The ginger-haired soldier chuckles and nods agreement.

Corporal Sturbish scowls.

'Yah, I got more tricks n' a performing monkey, thank ya Burke'.

The Corporal seems to be chewing something.

'Well, Lisandra can see if we've got a spare - bad enough havin' ta be fightin' monsters without bein' wet through'.

The mouse haired soldier picks out several poncho- shaped oilskins.

Sturbish looks a little impatient.

'What are they doin' over there? I don' wanna get caught out in this'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal 2 non-lethal damage
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

The boy Thumble and Lena healed stirs, murmuring faintly.

'Wha...I'm alive'. his eyes widen in surprise.

He looks down at the wound, then up at Thumble.

'I...thank you...you saved my life. What was it? Was there a potion left?'.

'Wait, what happened to the others?'.
    then the boy looks a little worried.

'Who are you?'

The boy catches sight of Tali behind Thumble, and blushes slightly.

Meanwhile Cass forces the lock on the box that she's found. Those standing nearby can see it's full of compartments for storing herbs, dressings for wounds, and poultices. It's clearly seen heavy use - there's hardly anything left. Cass prys off an inset the box. In the bottom of the chest are a number of empty glass bottles...and one full bottle. Cass picks it out.

'Does anyone know what this is?'

For Lena and Thumble
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bottle is of identical manufacture to the one that you gave to the wounded boy - it's the same shape, the fluid is the same colour, and the glass is a similar clarity and thickness.

Cass curses.

'Look - these people are like family to me'. she implores pleadingly. She turns to Beigette.

'If there's any chance that we can do anything for them...or any could survive. You saved me - I know you're a good person. Most of these men and women have people who care about them. Please, help me'.

Cass starts searching amongst the bodies, trying to see if any show signs of life. She looks up at Tali and Thumble.

'Please, are either of you healers?'.

Meanwhile, the brown clad soldier is doing a pretty thorough job of tearing apart the cart.

'Any help would be appreciated...I do not want to linger here long commander'. he calls out.

For Azoth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corporal Sturbish, Lisandra and Burke make ready, changing into their rain gear. They move the animals to shelter, stow everything away, and return to picketing - Burke guarding down the road, Lisandra the way ahead.

Corporal Sturbish stands between them with the animals. She turns to Ursuul.

'So, say that our commander returns, an' agrees ta go huntin ya giants'. she chews one last time, then spits out a mouthful of what's probably chewing tobacco.

'An' say we do find 'em. Wha exactly do ya propose ta do eh? We gonna fight several giants? D'ye think ya can talk 'em down? Or maybe just steal the damn things back?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble blinked at the young man's thanks, stammering quickly, "Uh, Thumble, um, I didn't do anything! She gave you the liquid that healed your wounds!" He pointed at Lena. He paused as he other woman held up a similar vial as the one given to this formerly dying boy. "It looked like that!"

To Cass' plea, he stood nervously, wringing his hands and looking around uncomfortably. "Thumble can sometimes heal, but not all the time. I-I'm not prepared today!" He looks a little scared, and more than a bit worried about the situation, unable to help the others seemingly.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Nodding at Thumble as he explains about how Elves are seen in this area.

When Lena calls her a Rabbit Choker, she looks down into Frexy's eyes and snuggles him a little more before opening her cloak and tucking him into a large pocket so only his head is poking out.
    She then proceeds to do as she's told and starts tentatively search the bodies for signs of life. Picking up a stick and prodding them while saying to each, "I-if y-you're a-a-alive, d-don't h-hurt m-me."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Beigette is conflicted. On one hand, she doesn't want to end up in a field of corpses, checking for signs of life, in a storm. On the other hand, she doesn't want to kill one of these people by not checking them...

"Tell you what, I'll help find those log things then me 'n Mr ShyGuy will help you guck at the bodies, a'ight?" Beigette smiles as she speaks, clapping one hand on the woman's shoulder, trying to reassure her. "I've gone on enough H-an'-C raids to be able to find some little box in a cart easily enough,"

Then she heads over to the cart, doing a quick search first, relying on her experience. If that won't work she begins a much more thorough, slow procedure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+6)[26]
    If that fails, take 20.

EDIT: Aww yeah.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2013-07-20 at 01:48 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Ursuul somber up at the mention of fighting the giants. All signs of intoxication leave him as his form straightens. His posture shifting from that of a drunken sell sword to that of a proud warrior of higher birth than he'd like to admit.

One calloused hand moving to whip back hair from his face as he looks to Sturbish. His ice blue eyes peering into her own with a frosted intensity. A strong fire burning behind them.

With or without your help, I will reclaim what is my own. I am no coward or thief to stalk their camp in the night and run with what was mine. I will face them openly, and without fear. Should I fall to them, then those asses and ale were not rightfully mine to begin with. A man who cannot protect what is his, has no claim to it...even his life.

I do not expect you or yours to fight to such an extreme alongside me, but know I will fight to the end. If you do come with me, and you do run, I will cover you and not hold it against you. After all, this isn't your fight and my ways are not your own.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

The boy that Thumble and Lena healed eases himself up, falls back, then rises a little.

'Did we...did we win?' he looks upset.

'I need to get back to Forcehead. I don't want...I just want to see my sweetheart again. It's been hell, absolute hell the last few months'. his expression is anguished.

He looks around.

'Did anyone else ... no dammit, no.... we were only a day away. A day away from safety...if that'.

The boy gets up.

'The name's...ah Lord an' Lady, you saved my life, the name's Gai. I'm not supposed to say...officially we don't exist anymore...but light an' dark take it. I'm done...'

He sees Tali examining the bodies, and he starts to help.

'There are some I don't recognise - reinforcements'.

'Yeah, my squad'. replies Cass.

'All my friends. Looks like we got damn near wiped out helping you - so whatever you found...well it better be worth it'.

Tali pokes a body. A raven is perched on it, beginning its gory business. It turns and caws loudly, a piece of tongue held in it's mouth.

The second body is that of a young woman - her brown hers stare into infinity. Her hair spills from her helmet, a glossy black...there's no response when Tali pokes her with the stick.

Cass finds someone she knew. 'Aden, speak to me. Please'. she breaks down as she clutches the body of a man who's clearly far gone.

The third body Tali pokes is a wiry looking soldier, with brown stubble and a thin face. He breathes out heavily as Tali pokes him.

Just then Gai calls out.

'Got a live one...definitely not one of ours - yours maybe?'

The brown clad man nods appreciatively as Beigette joins the search. He moves over to make room for her, though he doesn't meet her eye. He's stripped the inside of the wagon bare - there's nothing left there. He swings himself over the side, and begins hunting under the wagon.

Slobber bounds over to the brown clad man with a happy bark, and starts sniffing about under the wagon. The brown clad man spares a moment to smile warmly at the large hound, and scratches the dog behind the ears affectionately, before returning to his search.

For Beigette
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beigette takes a look at the bare flat bed of the wagon...and something bothers her. She hops off the wagon to make sure. The bottom of the wagon seems rather thick...perhaps a little overbuilt - or it could be concealing a dead space. Probing the boards of the wagon carefully, Beigette finds one that looks a little scuffed on one side - as though someone had prised it off then nailed it back down. Putting a sword under it, then levering it off reveals a concealed compartment - containing a small box.

The box is about 12' by 6' by 4'. Each corner has a little foot. It's made of a plain light coloured wood. The top of the box is inlaid with a pattern of blue tiles, each of which has a glyph written on it. It looks as though the tiles can be rearranged. The glyphs blur slightly before Beigette's eyes, then return to normal. Beigette doesn't recognise the glyphs.

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corporal Sturbish nods...and bites her lip.

'Hmm...ya. That sounds pretty dumb. Think if that's what ya intendin' we'll jus' watch. Should be pretty entertainin'. Ain't never seen a guy commit suicide by giant before'.

She looks at Ursuul.

'Ta my way o' thinkin' ya jus' 'bout good enough ta give an ole lady like me a bit of a workout. How ya think ya gonna do against several giants boy? I'm all fer bravery - when there's no other option -I didn't get this old by bein' a coward - but I didn't get this old by bein' an idiot either'.

'Just what are ya tryin' ta prove, eh? Ya think ya mules'll look at ya funny or something? Ya think the giants 'll respect ya? No-one cares how ya get back what's rightfully yours'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a Spot check

For Bosh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bosh cackles to himself happily as he trots up the road to the town of Forcehead - a spring in his step, and a large bag of amber strapped to his belt. His mind turns to avaricious thoughts as he imagines all the gold he can get for his somewhat legally acquired goods.

It's been a tough month scraping together all the amber. It rattles happily at Bosh's step bringing back pleasant memories. Long days prospecting up in the high mountains. The day rival miners had tried to steal his stash - fools. A good portion of the amber was the price they'd paid Bosh to spare their lives.

Then there was the merchant Bosh met at the crossroads. A laughing man, confident in his own strength. Bosh had managed to persuade him to gamble half his summer's work away on an arm wrestling contest. Bosh left the poor sap crying in a ditch about his wife and children as he massaged his arm.

It saddens Bosh a little to part with all the shiny stuff...until he thinks of all the gold.

The day is warm, and Bosh makes good time, full of anticipation for that first glass of ale at his journey's end. Forcehead's the only place for miles where you can get a decent ale.

Bosh makes it to the main road, and the upland forest starts to close in. Thick stands of mountain pine shutter out most of the light.

Up ahead Bosh can see some figures in the distance...it's not clear if they've spotted him...yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a Spot check, and if you wish, a Hide check.

And add a large bag of raw amber to your inventory. Let's say it weighs a pound (rounded up).
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-07-20 at 07:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Taking the box, Beigette rises and clears her throat to get the searching man's attention. Smiling at him, she presents the box with obvious pride.

"There we have it, I assume? It takes a good eye to fine somethin' like this with a single sweep. Maybe I can show you how sometime? But then I may jus' spend all our time sweepin' you with my good eye," Beigette winks at the shy man, then heads off to bring the box to his commander.

"Ahem, 'Mmander o' Corvaya, yer handsome subco and I have found this. My awgs and denkungs tell me 'is prolly the logs. Looks pri'y well-sec'd to me, too," she reports, holding the box out to the woman soldier.

Following that, Beigette heads off around the clearing, checking corpses for signs of life and - if they lack them - uttering a brief prayer and padding them down for valuables. This Four's Head place was probably some dinky little 'Terial town they called a city that barely had a thousand in-livers. Finding the families of these troops would be easy enough, and it would be better to give them some of what their relatives had been carrying than to leave it here to rust.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[13] Spot

Ursuul shakes his head as he begins to put his guantlets back on.

It is the way of my people. If you are strong enough to defeat someone, what you take is yours by right. They had no claim to it because they couldn't protect it honorably. Those giants stole from me, and my people do not tolerate theft. So I will reclaim what is mine or have it proven to me that it was never mine to begin with.

Just as you did not go all out against me, I did not go full force against you. I may not be able to take them in droves, but one or two I might manage. After all, I am not after the entire encampment just the thieves.

If it comes to it though, I will burn their camp to ash and put holes through every man there. My people were known to be quite...barbaric...by your standards when honor was denied them.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Bosh's mouth is almost slobbering. These people are his next targets. So ripe for the picking. Is that blood he smell? So they had tire themselves, huh? His mind is brimming with lots of nefarious thoughts.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-07-30 at 05:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumble nodded to the boy. Pointing to himself, then to the wild looking dog, he said, "Thumble and Slobber. We were just trying to help." He, too, tried to help check the bodies, using a bit more care than poking them with a stick. When he found a man too far gone, he would make sure their eyes were close and say a few words to send them on their way. If any were still alive, he would offer one of his charged berries, which would at least keep them alive ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what else to do just yet ...

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Beigette searches the fallen.

The first one she finds is definitely dead - a thin young human woman with strawberry blonde hair, high cheek bones, a stunned expression, and a crossbow bolt through the neck.

She's wearing the same red rose emblem as the first boy and Cass. She has chain armour, a black undershirt, maroon leggings, brown boots, and a sturdy stee helmet. There's a shortsword at her hip, and a crossbow quiver at her back, containing 20 quarrels. She wears a cheap looking pendent, and a copper torc. It seems a little strange - she has no water or rations, or other personal effects...

The second body is a well built dwarf, muscular, and broad as he is tall. He's next to the bodies of at least three grey warriors. It looks like he was wielding an axe and a longsword when they took him down. There are several sword wounds, and a large javelin still protrudes from his shoulder. His emblem is the blue cross. He wears a serviceable helmet, and chainmail - it looks as though the chain is badly damaged, however. In his belt pouch you find a small scrap of paper covered in runes, and a set of knuckle bones. There's an empty waterskin at his belt, and the remains of empty rations wrappings in his pack.

The third is an older human man - middle aged, strong looking, in a cluster of other soldiers and grey cloaks. Looks like they made a stand here. He has short cropped brown hair, somewhat delicate features, and a full beard. He's wearing a copper torc, of a similar design, but with a large pressed square and a X...looking around a few of the Flamian soldiers have torcs...but not all... there's nothing quite like this one though. His armour is chain. His insignia is the red rose. He wears a burgundy cloak and tunic. A short sword nearby looks like it might have been his - the hilt is delicately worked, and there are small red stones set into it. The blade looks like well sharpened steel. On his body Beigette finds 3 gold coins.

Amongst the personal effects of the three soldiers next to him, Beigette finds a pack of cards for some sort of game, a backgammon set, two more sets of knucklebones, a charm that looks like it might have been an amulet, cast in some kind of cheap pot metal, 17 bronze coins, and a small black book that looks like a diary. There are two crossbows on the ground. Beigette is able to find 23 more crossbow quarrels in various quivers.

All these soldiers wear the red rose emblem, and none of them seem to have any food or water with them.

Meanwhile Thumble also checks the bodies. A grey haired man, with the blue cross emblem - dead. Looks like he was carrying quite a few injuries before the battle - some of them have started to heal.

A grey furred warrior - very strong, and quite young. Clean shaven, and wearing his long brown hair tied back. Would have been a picture of health, but for a slit throat.

Thumble comes to a body that Tali had poked with a stick. It's a young woman - her brown hers stare into infinity. Her hair spills from her helmet, a glossy black... as Thumble puts a hand on her neck he can feel her heart is still beating - but the pulse is very faint. She's lost some of the fingers from her left hand...her face is white...there's an awful lot of blood. Thumble puts the goodberry into her mouth, and helps her chew it. The magic discharges...but it doesn't seem to have much effect...

Just as Beigette turns, something grabs her ankle. One of the warriors dressed in grey furs was alive. He seems to have wounds to the head and neck. He draws a knife from his belt.

'Help me - get a healer over here, or I'll cut you girl'. he winces in agony at his wounds.

'Don't move, knife's poisoned'.

For Ursuul
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Corporal is a little tight lipped.

'In the unlikely event that ta happen ta survive menacing a bunch o' giants, I should warn ya, folks in the lands ahead o' ya don't take kindly ta ya interpretation o' property rights'.

'I mean what happens if a big guy beats up a friendly little guy, takes his stuff, an' the little guy's friends come an' beat the big guy an' take their friend's stuff back. Whose is it? The little guy's? His friends? How many kinds o' strength d'ye recognise? If I take ya things without honour, does that mean ya never deserved them?'

'Let me tell ya a story. Down south an' ta the west o' here lies a plain. Once 'pon a time there lived a folk - took a similar view ta yours as regarded property - this is goin' back a coupla hundred years now'.

'They raided Flamia's borders back in the time o' Ole Aequaria...well, as ya can imagin' ole Empire dint take to kindly ta that. Empire had laws - they didn't suffer the strong ta prey on the weak, an' they dint trust a people that wouldn't look ta keep their hotheads in line'.

'The people o' the plain were nomads, 'n they fought with honour. Empire never fought with nothing but a fierce keen desire ta win'.

'See the Empire didn't fight fair - they killed the herds where they found 'em an' left 'em ta rot. They fell upon the woman an' children in their camps, and they took them captive. They poisoned the wells. They only engaged when they had overwhelmin' force, an' even then, they used smart tactics an' care'.

'Pretty soon, the people o' the plain who dint fight with honour any more - all the honourable ones were dead. Mind, not long after that, rest were too'.

'In a way I suppose the laws o' nations aren't much different - empire saw what they wanted an' they took it. They were stronger, an' they used that ta say that the gods had favoured them, and that their victory showed that they were the chosen people'.

'Dint mean nothin' - simply there were more o' them, they had better weapons, an' they fought smart'.

'Ye're right in a way, that might makes right...jus' remember this honour ain't worth a fig. Power matters - an' the will ta use it'.

The Corporal thinks for a moment.

'Ma point bein', ya try ta tackle jus' one giant head on - ya gonna get smeared over Twelve's green earth like strawberry jam. That fancy stick o' yours is only gonna make ya look silly - ya might be able ta trip me up alright, but try somethin' ten times ya size, or more'.

'I like ya, in a way. I've seen a lot o' brave young men o'er the years tha fought bravely an' honourably, an' died young'.

'I figure ya fer a little smarter than that Ursuul...I see a spark o' somethin' in ya...a truly great warrior doesn't fear death - but he knows how ta stay alive'.

Burke speaks up...

'Corporal...think I saw something'.

For Bosh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bosh hurries off the path quickly. In his haste, he cracks his head on a low hanging tree branch.

It's difficult to tell whether they saw you or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now you're in the thread, no reading other peoples' spoilers please - or if you do, keep the knowledge OC.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2013-07-22 at 10:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters: