New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron

"Well, get on with it then. And first ride's yours; I know little about charms, so I'll have difficulty telling whether it took hold until she starts biting." Lavender strides over to the hydra, gently petting one of the immobilized heads. At least for now she can do this without too much danger.
    "On the topic of gender, hydras are hermaphrodites and change according to biological need. Parts are also internal, so a clear determination would require a more thorough examination that would probably cost me a couple limbs even when the hydra's successfully charmed. In the interest of physical inviolability I'll for convenience's sake officially pronounce Miss Noggins to be female until contradictory evidence occurs, unless there's any objection."
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-12-26 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

"What, like frogs?" Odd how often curiosity and disgust go together. "Interesting. I'd imagine for a thing that size there's an awful lot of plumbing to change."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

"You can read up on it in Magical Menagerie, volume three I think. Good copies come with illustrations. I didn't quite memorize much of that part, it seemed well enough to know how to bring this thing down if the need ever arises. Most of my spells they'd just shrug off in a couple seconds." She continues petting the hydra, then scratches one of the heads under the chin.
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2013-12-26 at 12:30 PM.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's heal everyone first." Mina removes her cap and fiddles with the small pins along the stitching. She adds two feathers from an eagle to the cap and places it neatly on her head. Her skin seems to shine with health and beauty as soon as the hat is in place and her words are more convincing and forceful. Taking the wand from her belt she cajoles it into working and spends a minute healing various injuries among the small group.

"Roger, if you'd care to play something to relax me. This is a delicate operation and I always concentrate better when you play." Her smile lights up her face and the dirt and pond slime still sticking to her clothes seems to almost fade away as she works on two slender rods. With sparkling eyes she sprinkles one rod with powdered bone and a dark fluid as she mutters to herself, "Bone from a traitor for lies, essence of Thelanis for charms, wrapped in a ribbon of silk like a gift over long shadows. That should do it."

The other rod is treated differently, there's no consistency in the magic that she infuses into the items. Her attempts seem to be designed to achieve the same result by differing methods.

Once both rods were prepared,a process that seemed to take an age, Mina stretched and approached the hydra, adjusting her hat, this time with tufts of fox fur, "Lavender, sweetie, are you able to cast Detect Magic to see if the charm takes hold?" Once this is confirmed she activates the first rod.

Spoiler: META
    Show
    Infuse Eagle's Splendour onto my sexy, sexy hat. It lasts for five minutes so plenty of time for healing and spell storing.

Activate my wand of cure light wounds to myself to full. I'm 14 hit points down so use at least two charges. Use three more charges on Wrex or anyone else who needs it. Stop after five successful cures.

Once I succeed I get a +2 to the roll

Use magic device (1d20+13)[14] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[3]

Use magic device (1d20+13)[26] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[3]
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[33] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[4]
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[33] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[4]
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[14] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[7]

Use magic device (1d20+13)[28] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[5]
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[27] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[2]
    Not needed
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[23] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[8]
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[19] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[7]
    Use magic device (1d20+13)[32] DC20
    Cure light wounds (1d8+1)[5]

11 hit points for Mina and 5 and 2 for others as required.

I know that Roger could do this with no chance of failure but I want to get the hang of using it for when we need it. Roger can probably finish the healing with his own wand if it's needed.

+2 from Roger helping with his dulcet tones to inspire competence. Two minutes is time to set up the Spell Storing Item for Charm Monster twice in case the save fails.

Spell storing item for the Charm Monster. Two attempts.
    Use magic device (1d20+15)[32] DC29
    Use magic device (1d20+15)[34] DC29

EDIT: Excellent and unexpected.

The will save for Charm Monster would be DC16 but I'll enhance it with Fox's Cunning so my Intelligence goes up to 21 and the DC increases to 18
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-12-27 at 08:30 AM.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Roger doesn't say anything, but takes his lute in hand again, humming and strumming a simple and hypnotically rhythmic melody. Not anything particularly interesting, but enough to help block out the distractions of the heat, the injuries, and so on. Being a musician isn't always about singing the finest songs in the most wondrous of voices. Art is nothing if not used in order to enhance life, and art in assistance of the Art is sublimity itself.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isaac keeps quiet throughout most of the conversation, agreeing to keeping the hydra if possible, but not adding much in specific terms. He keeps quiet for Mina's benefit, keeps a good eye on the hydra, and wonders if his companions' plans will go well.

After touching his belt and healing some of his wounds, he wipes off some of his blood in his clothes and weapon. In any case, his actions against this beast had been not very effective. Paimon would probably be more useful against the hobgoblins, though.

With nothing much to do, Isaac just calmly does a few steps, practicing his dancing as Roger plays his music.

Spoiler
    Show
    Healing Belt, last remaining charge - (2d8)[14]

By some luck, this is exactly enough to return me full hp.
    Last edited by Crinias; 2014-01-02 at 07:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure, I can do that honeycup." With some simple gestures Lavender casts the spell, keeping a look out on the hydra. She tries to marginalize me by calling me something cute and sweet, I call her something cuter and sweeter.

"Oh, can some of you look if you find her lair? Hydras like to collect shiny things. Not gems and coins perhaps, a bit too fiddly without hands... But a wellpolished sword or silver cup maybe?"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Mina beams at Lavender's compliment. She was so pleased that they were getting on better now. Honeycup was such a good good name for her too, the mage had obviously spent time thinking about something suitable and Mina resolved to do the same.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Has Charm Monster actually been cast yet? Would anyone like to roll a Search to look for loot?
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Mina thumps the rod, "Is this thing working?" She mutters before trying again to activate it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yes, here. DC18 Will Save. If it doesn't work then She'll activate the second of the prepared rods.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Mina blasts the hydra with a the rod, and a gossamer web of light trickles down over the beast. Despite being paralyzed, the hydra struggles against the spell with all its might, all seven heads doing their best impression of a teakettle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will, DC 18: (1d20+4)[11]

While she makes her first attempt, the boys make an attempt to find any of the hydra's shiny leavings. The first place they look is under the remains of an overturned wagon in the muck next to the causeway, and it proves to be a wise guess; a pile of mostly-decayed hobgoblin corpses are the reward.

Filthy and smelly they may be, but amidst the rusted armor of most of the goblins a single pristine breastplate remains, gleaming in a way normal steel never would. Indeed, even the least trained of you can notice the subtle aura of light that sometimes denotes enchanted armor; it seems this hobgoblin was either a captain or simply extremely lucky. None of them seem to be wearing magic rings, but checking their weapons also turns up a prize; an embossed leather sheath that remains totally unmarred despite being mostly submerged in the marsh. Again, it doesn't take an artificer to notice magic under those conditions. A Detect Magic spell confirms that those two items are the only bits of magic in the muck, though the wagon, dirt, and corpses were previously blocking their signatures.

LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

After a long, breath-holding moment, it is confirmed; the party is now the proud owner of a paralyzed (but now fully-healed) and Charmed seven-headed hydra. The sun is closer to the horizon than before, but not by much; the fight and aftermath have not consumed as much time as might be expected. The flies and biting insects are worse than ever, but are still at the level of mere nuisances. The party can choose to press on, but the hydra will be paralyzed until the next day unless something is done to heal it.

Spoiler: Rewards
    Show
    I was holding off on xp rewards until I knew the results. Killing a monster is one thing, but paralyzing it and charming it? All with excellent roleplaying, to boot.

Everyone but Wrex gets: 600 xp
    Wrex gets: 650 xp

The table will be updated to reflect this.

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

"We can't just leave Miss Noggins here, defenceless. What if some nasty predator comes along and kills her?" Mina looks concerned, completely missing the irony of her statement. "If we feed her then she might get used to us and follow us. Or we could make a lead for her or a saddle."

"Does anyone know much about training animals?"

Spoiler: Stuff
    Show
    Magical scabbard and breastplate. Both seem suited to our main meat shield. We can identify them later. I'm out of first level infusions anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

"Seems you could call up this charm stuff when given a little time to prepare. Can you perhaps do the same with something that mobilizes her again? I do notice we don't seem to have a priest with us. Fellow wizards always told me that's the second most important companion to have, after a meatshield with a pointy stick, before a scrawny little thing springing the traps."
    She puts a finger to her lips, pausing a couple seconds in a thinking pose. "Come to think of it, some said minion instead of companion. I guess we tend to be pretty entitled fellows." She keeps stroking Miss Noggins, looking for any change in her demeanor.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex slogs out of the marsh carrying the two magical items. He deposits them on the walkway and gestures at them. "It seems this creature killed several hobgoblins that passed this way. Can you identify the magics in these? There was little else of value in its horde." He shakes his head when asked about animal training.

Walking over to the hydra, Wrex stands with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face as he looks it over. "It will certainly prove to be a useful tool in battle, but how sure are you that you can maintain control over it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

"Miss Noggins should be fine for a few days unless someone dispels the charm. I'll renew it before it runs out. Don't worry." Mina walks over and strokes one of the hydra's heads, "We're going to be the best of friends, aren't we, darling?"
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

Mina sits down against the hydra and strokes her head, "Poor, chilled, little flower. Mummy will fix you, don't you worry." She takes out her tools and works to enchant a short rod with restorative magics.

After a minute, plenty of time for everyone to move out of the way, she takes the new rod and touches Miss Noggins gently with it. It glows for a moment with a soft, pink light that spreads across the hydra, "There you go, how are you feeling? Good girl. Aren't you a good girl? Yes you are. Yes you are." She continues to make baby noises as the giant creature slowly recovers. "You're just like newborn calf with your wobbly legs, aren't you, Miss Noggins?"

Spoiler: META
    Show
    Spell Storing Item - Lesser Restoration using a second level infusion slot.
    Use Magic Device (1d20+13)[32] DC23 (1st level Paladin spell)
    Assuming it works Restore (1d4)[2] Dexterity
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2014-01-09 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added some text after the spell worked.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

The hydra shakily rears onto its relatively stubby legs, all seven heads slowly waving about. Hydras are not the most intelligent creatures at the best of times, and Miss Noggins has taken quite the pounding. It looks about before fixing on Mina. It hisses again, disturbingly cheerfully, before swarming the half-elf with its heads. A terrifying sight, to be sure, but instead of biting her the hydra instead just rubs its faces against her, like a cat might. A twelve foot tall, scaly, seven-headed regenerating cat.

LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Lavender coos with a long, drawn-out 'ooooooh' when witnessing the cute scene. "That's adorable. I'm really glad we went for a cutesy name instead of trying to sound badass. That would be quite unnecessary really, after all it's a troglodyteloving hydra." Heidrik would probably have given her a severe look for swearing, but the point seems important enough to her to deserve emphasis. "So, shall we go on?"

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Mina act that way with that monster is odd, to say the least. Whether it's terrifying or slightly arousing he's not sure, but it's certainly impressive. "It's definitely something. 'Bad idea' springs to mind, but then, so does 'bad ass'. Glory waits for no man and all, so I figure we shouldn't tarry too long either, but shall we agree to leave our told-you-so's implicit once we've seen how this turns out?"
    Last edited by Saskia; 2014-01-09 at 02:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

It is already late in the afternoon, and while the hydra is again mobile it isn't especially fast. You find yourselves walking at an easy pace, slower than the morning's march, which most of the more arcane members of the party find perfectly agreeable. The hydra initially hisses and snaps at anyone other than Mina that comes closer than fifteen feet or so; after an hour of walking and conversation, this distance is down to eight or nine feet. The hydra still remembers the fight, but due to reasons it doesn't really understand it isn't supposed to eat you anymore. It is very affectionate towards Mina, apparently viewing her as a long lost child or something of that sort. Presumably, it's wondering where all of her heads have gone, and if she'll grow them back or not.

As the sun approaches the horizon you have successfully made it out of the swampiest part of the region, but are still several hours from Vraath Keep by your best estimation. You have encountered absolutely nothing else along the trail, aside from birds; it seems that traveling with a vocal and extremely visible hydra has benefits. The party is faced with the decision; to attempt to continue forwards in the growing dark or to set up camp.

LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex watches the sun start to set and turns to address the group. "The cover of night will not afford us advantage; we hobgoblins can see in complete darkness and the beast will alert them of our presence well before we are in striking range. I suggest we rest and attack at dawn. Perhaps we can catch them at a changing of the guard when they are not as prepared for our assault." While Wrex might have been somewhat good-natured in the tavern, now that the group is in the field he is all-business.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

During their walk Mina keeps up an almost constant stream of nonsense chatter for Miss Noggins. It proves to be quite tiring for her and no doubt for everyone in earshot too. As dark approaches she's the first to agree to the idea of a rest. "All this walking is very tiring, don't you think? Wouldn't a fresh start be good in the morning?"
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2014-01-10 at 06:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You have more than enough time to rest eight hours and prepare spells before dawn, btw, but not really enough to do all that and also walk the two or three hours to the keep.

LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, rest is good. I expended a good number of my juiciest spells to keep this thing from eating you guys until it could be paralized. You're welcome, by the way." The last part is said in a teasing tone instead of accusingly, although she definitely could have done with a bit more praise for how well things had gone. She really went above and beyond to show her power and beat Mina in their 'mistress of storm' competition, but then the Lyrandar just went and stole the show by charming the hydra. OK, well, sure, that was awesome, no objections there! But still together with the joy of their new pet there was a sting of resentment, born off her old inferiority complex she tries so hard to compensate for.

Once they set camp she settles down, keeping her spellbook close to her body and reflexively giving everyone a suspicious glance out of the corner of her eyes. "Well then, nighty night."

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Survival] Predict weather for the next day(DC 15) and perhaps help in finding a good campsite.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks to Lavender's surprisingly astute wilderness skills, the group manages to find a decent spot a hundred feet off of the trail that provides enough cover and shelter to hide the hydra. The hydra, for its part, has had a very long day; the giant beast curls up into a ball and begins snoring gently. Lavender is also fairly sure that tomorrow will be more or less the same as today; hot, dry, and windless.

LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isaac keeps a prudent distance from the hydra, overall unsure of how to act in a situation like this. "This must be the most bizarre experience I've ever had," he comments as he watches the hydra act like an overgrown dog. And that includes that one time I engaged a spy from Karrnath on a dance-off, he thinks to himself.

Once the group has set camp, Isaac volunteers to be the on the first watch. After all, he has no need to rest continuously to prepare his abilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there are any rules for penalties for not sleeping, I can't find them. I think in the morning I may bind Malphas again, or maybe Andras.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sleeping. The DM's eternal enemy. Because yes, technically, no one needs to sleep except for spellcasters, and they actually only need to 'rest'.

Here's how I'm going to rule it, as an engineer who has spent many nights pouring over her books instead of sleeping. You can stay up one night, as long as it's a fairly restful night, without penalty. A little roleplayed tiredness would be appreciated, but you aren't Fatigued yet. Two nights without sleep? Fatigued. Three and you're Exhausted, and you start rolling Fort saves vs sleep every time you sit down for more than a minute. Sound fair?

LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Mina spends an hour working on Pig, the Iron Defender, and then goes through some stretching exercises before laying down to rest, "I'll take second watch if someone will wake me. Don't forget that my constructs can keep watch all night too and both the ones I brought along can see in the dark."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I know just the thing for Isaac so he'll never need to sleep again:
    Armour of the Unending Hunt: This mithral +2 chainmail armour was built by the elves for rangers on long-range patrols. In addition to its protective qualities, it provides the wearer with immunity to fatigue and exhaustion.
    Moderate Abjuration; CL 8th;
    Craft Magic Arms and Armour, restoration; Price 21,500 gp; Cost 10,900
    gp + 848 XP; Weight 20 lb.

Craft check (1d20+13)[27] The rules say it repairs result-15 hit points for eight hours work. Can I assume that I can repair 1/8th of that in one hour.

I assume we'll be camped for about 10 hours anyway. If so I'll spend another hour on repair in the morning.
    EDIT: That's 1/4 of 12 or 3 hit points back for Pig.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2014-01-12 at 04:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

The majority of the walk and into the evening finds Roger plucking away at his lute and testing various lyrics for a new song, apparently having something to do with a group of intrepid explorers of curiously familiar descriptions, slaying marauding highwaymen and heroically returning trade to a frontier village in the process. Such humility as Roger's esteemed colleagues possess however, being obviously terrified of the prospect of glory for their impossibly noble actions, can rest easy; the racist druid Roger has included had a penchant for kidnapping young and beautiful maidens and performing unspeakable rituals upon them in a mad quest for a potion that isn't completely worthless before being righteously and heroically slain, while the druid the party had encountered was merely a racist possessed of worthless potions. Clearly then it must surely be a different story entirely.

Of course his eyes find ways to catch Mina in their field, particularly while doing her stretches as he is sure somebody has said somewhere sometime, a man can only afford so much single minded dedication to his craft.
    Last edited by Saskia; 2014-01-12 at 05:53 AM.