New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Red Hand of Doom in Eberron

The town's noble cleric fell asleep on the floor near the bar, and it is only the scent of cooking bacon that finally rouses him. "You're a damned lazy lout, Brother," Tharrma mutters as she cooks. She looks bright and chipper, which is odd, because you recall her matching Derny drink for drink. Clearly there is much to be said for dwarven livers. "But damned if I wouldn't kiss you for a 'Cure Hangover' spell right now. I swear, the wizard that invents that little thing will be a wealthy one indeed."

He mumbles something, and goes outside to the outhouse to relieve himself. When he returns, he seems to have regained his sentience. "I was worshiping, woman. There is nothing more sacred to house and home than guests, and I was welcoming these new guests to our town, guests that mean to protect us from harm. Or something. Now then, I'm going to go fetch those belts. You folk get yourselves together, and I can walk you to the river. And, uh..." He looks between Mina and Roger. "Didn't you two say you were related? Something like that? Ah, nevermind. Not my place, as long as you're happy."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

'Cure hangover', Mina takes some paper and scrawls a quick note, "It should be a limited application of normal poison neutralisation with some limited restorative added in, maybe some mint to help with morning breath. What's in that stuff we were drinking anyway?"

When Brother Derny returns and questions them she's initially confused and then embarrassed, "I assure you that nothing untoward happened last night between Roger and I, " not that I can remember anyway, "Besides which, the family business is actually several bloodlines rather than one. Roger and I aren't even second cousins."

She thinks for a moment to ask Lavender about her own heritage but the khorovar was quite touchy about that yesterday. There was plenty of time to explore their backgrounds when they were friends. Did Lavender stay in the inn last night or head back to the halfling's tower? I'm sure I remember helping someone undo their dress. Perhaps she'd dreamt it.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Smalltalk commences, and in a little bit Derny returns with a pile of old belts slung over his shoulder and a sack of potions. The belts are visibly a bit beaten up; it's clear that they've lost power due to heavy use and age, not due to being improperly created. Or perhaps improper creation is the reason they managed to get so worn and beaten up in the first place; a question for people without a pressing mission.

Once the belts and potions have been properly passed around Brother Derny leads you down to the center of town, where Speaker Winston is berating the slovenly guard who nearly accosted you the day before. He sends the man off as you approach, but his frown turns to a smile when he sees you. "Hello there! I heard from Sertieren yesterday, and I'm glad that you've found another spellcaster for your party; especially one that the halfling has such a high opinion of."

He motions, and the lot of you head down to the river. As you walk, he continues speaking; you get the impression he does a lot of that. "She'll get the same amount of gold we agreed upon yesterday, of course; we're not so poor off that we'd make you divide your honest pay up for want of another competent companion. Now then, you're just a five minute ferry ride from the other side. No fear, the ropes are quite sturdy, though I really do recommend that you do not fall in; the current is very strong here, and even strong swimmers have trouble making it ashore should they have the misfortune of falling in near the middle of the river.

On the other side and slightly to the north you'll find a grove of trees in which Avarthel resides. You will find him less, er, friendly and generous than Sertieren or Brother Derny, but he should recognize the risk the Red Hand poses to the forest. From there, just head down the Dawn Way; Vrath Keep is about a days walk, depending on how well the bridges along the Way are holding up. You have to pass through a few marshlands, though with this heat they should be low."

Spoiler
    Show
    Item get! x4 Belts of Healing with only 2 max charges. x3 Potions of Cure Light Wounds.

If anyone wants to do or say anything before crossing the river, speak now or forever hold your peace. If you don't, we're off to danger and combat. Aw yis.

LGBTitP

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

"Sertieren agreed to allow me the use of his laboratory while we're away. My construct is going to enchant this bow. Could you see that this list of equipment is send to him please." Mina jots down what she needs and hands over the necessary funds.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Thank you for your assistance. We shall return shortly, no worse than we left," says Isaac, his scarf wrapped around his neck and face. Despite the incredible skill that Paimon could grant, the signs of vestiges could disturb others at times, so he had taken precautions to hide them. His deformed face could disturb others if he wasn't careful.

Paimon's influence was proving to be troublesome, as well. Unusual urges covered his mind, and he felt rather more confident than he thought he should. He should probably do something to distract himself. "Come, dear bard, can you sing a song for our travels? I feel as though something is lacking in the air," he said in a rather over-friendly manner to Roger, as soon as they crossed the river and were well away from Winston's presence. "Come, miss Mina," he said while turning to her, smiling beneath his scarf, "I shall tell you the tale of a prince unmatched in battle, who overdid his affections, and was torn to pieces due to jealousy."
    Last edited by Crinias; 2013-11-06 at 03:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Though Roger has never been the type to be jealous over a woman, even a woman he adores, something irks him about Isaac's new mannerisms. Not something he could put his finger on, and while it does involve the way he talks to Mina, it seems like it's something else. Or, maybe he's just not familiar enough with jealousy to be able to place it when he feels it.

In any case, the feeling is only a minor nuisance, and probably has more to do with conflicting emotions over the only two women he's had eyes for for a very long time, and tinged with more than a little concern that Isaac was dealing with forces that would end up causing him great harm. Maybe he's just a bit more gregarious today, but tomorrow? What about when he starts to delve deeper down this untrodden road? And he doesn't ask for help? Roger has seen this sort of thing before in addicts; failure to seek assistance even when it's needed. And if he did become close with Mina, she could end up badly hurt, and not just emotionally.

Even so, it's not the sort of problem that's likely to explode in the next few days. He'll have time. He strums his lute and hums, idly contemplating what story Isaac may be talking about, and whether he's heard of this particular one. None register, with the exception of works of playwrights. Maybe it's a misjudgment, but Isaac doesn't come off as the theatrical sort. He offers a friendly smile in return, and says "Oh, tragedies! I love the art exploring our unacknowledged darker sides. Have you heard the story of Professor Fastinian? The malconvoker who learned too late the cost of coercing powers even he didn't understand? It's a personal favorite."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

The post-hangover dawn finds Wrex already awake. He may not be a dwarf, but he is no stranger to a long night of drinking hobgoblin brews. Rising early to practice his morning exercises, he is wide awake and quite hungry by the time breakfast is served.

Wrex cares very little for the courtship that seems to be going on among the softskins. He certainly wouldn't mind bedding any of the women present, but it is not something a warrior of the Old Way concerns himself with. If the spirit moves him and the opportunity arises, he will gladly prove to all of them (at the same time, if need be) just how ferocious hobgoblins can be. Until that time comes, he is content to listen to the pretty men sing and coo in their little bird-dance.

Walking towards the front of the pack with Speaker Winston, Wrex does his best to listen to the verbose man. "What can you tell me of this Avarthel?"

When the group comes upon the previous day's guards, Wrex gives them the subtlest of $#*^-eating grins.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

At the implied praise of Serteiren Lavender gives a proud and closed-eyed smile, although behind it she is a little confused. It is quite unusual that he didn't instead complain about the headaches she's given him, but then again the elderly halfling somehow seems more resistant to her quirks than most of her past teachers. Probably all of them except Heidrik. Hells, on one occasion she bugged a wizard enough that he finally gave her the 'demonstration' of his Scorching Ray spell she'd been asking for in a way that was a little too close for comfort. She paid someone to put the elemental protection enchantment on her coat very soon afterwards.

On the other hand she can't help but scowl at the Healing Belts. It feels a bit wasteful, having already gotten one with her own money. But then again, it had made her life notably easier on multiple occasions, so it's probably alright. The prospect of payment is nice as well, most of her reserves had run out. Good thing she isn't that obsessive about learning every marginally useful spell she comes across, it would have bankrupted her. Maybe that obsession is a bit like drugs in a way... Sometimes it felt like that when she dangled her offered treat in front of her chosen teacher-to-be.

Thus in thought she stays silent, barely listening to the conversation around her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

"I wonder if these belts could be repaired while we walk, " Mina ponders aloud while examining them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Presumably they can be upgraded in the same way as other magic items. i.e. just paying the difference in XP and GP. Isn't it 500gp to make? Reduced effectiveness by a quarter is 125gp and 4xp difference.

If only we had spare cash and time.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

Isaac does not catch Roger's hint, oblivious to the true meaning of his words. His bond towards vestiges has never led him on dark impulses - though he could not have said whether this was out of a lack of ambition or imagination. Perhaps, if he was on a more philosophical mood, he would have argued that he saw no need to abuse his powers any more than he felt any particularly strong desire to help those in need with them just because...

"I cannot say I have heard such a tale, and I would be delighted to hear it," said Isaac, "but please, allow me to speak mine first, for the loss of love and life due to the evil of other men is more tragic and compelling than one's own downfall coming about by pride."

...But he wasn't in such a mood, and he didn't catch Roger's hint, so he decided to steal Roger's thunder, guided by Paimon's boldness.
    Last edited by Crinias; 2013-11-11 at 11:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Speaker Winston has little to say about Avarthel; the elf is quite reclusive, and though always polite he has little concern for anything but 'his' forest. He takes the bow and funds and promises to get them to the wizard promptly and wishes you all good fortunes. The ferry ride across the river is swift, though not so swift that you do not all get to enjoy a few tales from a strangely talkative Isaac and a perturbed Roger.

Once on the other side, it is a walk of only a few minutes' time to the talk grove of hardwoods where Avarthel makes his home. You wander through the trees for a minute or so until you come upon a clearing in the grove's center; and there, just as promised, is a slender elf in loose green robes sitting in meditation. As you approach he rises, but when he opens his eyes the mood changes. His eyes fall upon Roger, Mina, and Lavender with a look they have each received countless times; bastards, it says, and mutts, and thin-blooded.

And when he sees Wrex, his distaste darkens into something colder and harder. A long moment of silence passes, and then he speaks, his voice as thin as his robes. "Speak your intentions, or leave. Better, simply leave. There is nothing here for you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Tius, but you're playing a hobgoblin in a campaign all about killing hobgoblins. Your race is going to give you some very interesting advantages in the future, but I'll be damned if I don't take this chance to play some ******* racists.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2013-11-12 at 01:32 AM.

LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Mina has seen that look before but Stormhome has taught her many things and pride in being khoravar is high on the list. How best to deal with this uppity mudsman? Play the noble? Play the businesswoman? They were here to collect equipment, nothing more. This elf seems to take issue with all of them, except for Isaac. She stepped back to allow the human to walk forward, hoping that whatever Vestige he's bound today has given him a glib tongue.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

Isaac steps forward to represent the group before things get more heated. Briefly, he laments not having bound Naberius, and having to cover his own face, but such things cannot be predicted in advance.

Perhaps being straightforward and honest would help. With a polite, but not overly friendly demeanor, he speaks to him. "Well met. My group and I, at the behest of Norro Winston, have taken on the task of dealing with the bands of hobgoblins that have recently been troubling these surrounding lands. We were told we could obtain assistance from one such as yourself. If you could help us, our task would be much simpler, and the more quickly could we rid this land from these dishonorable bandits."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy! (1d20+12)[25]

How odd. I thought Winston said here that Avarthel was supposed to be a half-elf?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

"Unless," Roger adds with a wave of his hand, the curious lack of condescension or anger in his voice and demeanor bearing more contempt than a than a string of obscenities. Instinctively he wraps his arm around Mina's waist in order to better manhandle her out of the way if this thug turns violent. He looks briefly at her, as if for guidance, then returns his attention to the druid. "Well, I'm sure the spiritus vitales you serve would understand; the forests burned and the plains sown with salt really are just so much less an affront to them than unnatural products of natural copulation. Like they say, you can't pick your friends, but you can pick your family. Pray forgive us for having chosen poorly."
    Last edited by Saskia; 2013-11-12 at 09:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

No worries my dear, that's why I picked a Hobgoblin in the first place.

Wrex is unperturbed by the elf's reaction to his presence. If anything, he enjoys it. A man is judged by his actions, not his ancestry. Wariness is one thing, but overt enmity gives Wrex a measure of the man before he's drawn his weapon; he is quick to judge and ruled by his emotions. When the two eventually come to blows (an eventuality in Wrex's mind), the Hobgoblin will remember this and try to take advantage of it. For now, he is content to stand with his arms crossed and match the man's stare.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a whoops on my part, Crinias. I blame it on all the half-elves in the party.

Oh, and the belts can indeed be repaired.

Avarthel seems to make the decision to ignore Roger entirely, but Isaac's words do not go amiss. The slender druid appraises the binder for a moment, contemplative. "Yes, well, I did see you speaking with the Speaker, and I do recognize the fact that there have been hobgoblin warbands cutting down trees and preparing for some sort of attack lately. How many, I cannot say; but I doubt they have the numbers to seriously threaten the Witchwood. Indeed, I'm sure the town itself will be fine.

I can give you some information, if it will make you leave faster. Vrath Keep is a day's walk from here; if you leave now, you will arrive near sundown. Simply travel down the Dawn Way- that big road right there- and it will be on the left, up a clearly marked trail. The Dawn Way is a decent road, as roads go; it has a few wayhouses, should you plan on stopping sooner than eventide, and it should take you above the marshes without too much trouble. I will inform you, it is breeding season for a few of the more colorful swamp creatures, so I would keep an eye out.

Other than that, I have little here for you. Unlike Derny, I do not feel the need to impoverish myself for every group of wandering brigands that happens to believe themselves important. I have a few potions I am willing to sell at a fair market price; Barkskin, Lesser Restoration, and Neutralize Poison.

Other than that, I will mention the woodsman, Jorr. He's an angry old human who lives about seven miles off of the Dawn Way, along the Witch Trail. That trail is less of a road and more of a footpath, but you should find him without trouble. He knows these woods as well as any human could hope to, but I will tell you plainly; he cares even less for goblinkin than I do."
    He does not attempt to disguise his scorn, instead locking eyes with Wrex.

LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

I must not spoil Isaac's goodwill with sarcasm Mina thinks to herself, forcing a benign smile onto her face.

"Dear Avarthel, how much is a 'fair market price' for your potions?" If he's selling them at Cannith prices then she could undercut him and maybe one day arrange to install a trained artificer from Lyrander in town to keep him out of business. Let's see how he likes the idea of half elves then.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Avarthel frowns at Mina's question, as if the act of asking has called his honor into question. "As I just said, fair market price. Three hundred for the Barkskin and Lesser Restoration, and seven hundred and fifty for the Neutralize Poison. It may seem costly to ones such as you, but I assure you, any respectable crafter would charge that price. What can I do to get you to leave more swiftly?"

LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course, thank you for your time." the same smile still fixed on her face she offers a deferential curtsy. It isn't difficult to tell which religion is dominant in the region.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230

Isaac bows his head slightly to Avarthel's words. "Thank you for your information and your time, sir, but I do not believe we are in need of your potions, they seem very situational." Turning to the rest of the group, he motions his head towards the Dawn Way, as if to say, shall we go?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lamentable, isn't it?" Roger's voice remains without malice as he turns to leave. "All the trouble of dealing with a racial supremacist and there's not even any practical business to transact."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

"Indeed, Roger, indeed. Despite what the pure blood said about Brother Derny it seems that his way of doing business will garner much more in the way of repeat business." Mina gives a girlish giggle and loops her arms around the other two half elves, "He was funny though. Did you see his face?" She puts on an exaggerated expression of seriousness, "If it will make you leave faster...watch out for the crazy man in the woods....any respectable crafter would charge that price. So funny."
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-11-18 at 11:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

The snobby elven druid pretends to not hear your remarks as you leave his grove, instead turning and striding back into the trees in a dignified manner. You tighten your packs, drink a little water, and try to ignore the fact that today seems like it is going to be even hotter than yesterday as you begin walking down the Dawn Way.

The Dawn Way is the only real road to cut through the Witchwood, the long forest that lies in the shadow of the mountains between Darguun and Breland. Or at least it's the only real road for a hundred miles. It is broad and flat, and though it is not cobbled it has gravel mixed into the top surface, no doubt due to the military use of the road. The road goes all the way to the Skull Gorge Bridge, an expansive stone bridge that has stood in its place for as long as history cares to remember. Skull Gorge Bridge spans Skull Gorge, a great rift near the outlet of the passage through the Seawall mountains. There is a way around the Gorge, but it is long and inconvenient.

Roger manages to convey most of this information through a few tales as the group walks, and what he does not know the rest of you are able to easily provide. You all quickly learn that you are in bright company, and discussion of your various trades and areas of expertise makes the time go by swiftly.

When you come upon the swampy part of the Witchwood it is later in the afternoon, and the sun has yet to dip beneath the mountains in the distance. Just as Avarthel said, the Dawn Way rises above the worst of the swamps on sturdy wooden bridges, though the road itself is smaller and muddier in this area. As you approach the first bridge, a faint warning comes to mind; the druid did mention that this was an active season for a number of dangerous creatures.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2013-11-18 at 11:00 AM.

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #234

Isaac pauses upon reaching the bridge and takes a good look around the area. He keeps silent and tries to hear anything suspicious. Finally, he examines the bridge and wonders just how sturdy it is.

He wasn't particularly worried about the elf's words, or of being overly hurt in an ambush, but fighting here could be inconvenient and messy. It wouldn't hurt to be cautious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20-1)[19]
    Listen check: (1d20-1)[6]

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Roger gives Isaac a brotherly pat on the back and keeps walking, albeit at a slower pace. "At ease there, Isaac. Trolls have better things to do in this godforsaken heat than collect tolls."
    Last edited by Saskia; 2013-11-18 at 05:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Isaac sees nothing amiss, though he does notices that the causeway is slick with water and moss, despite the hot, bright sun burning down overhead. Running would be a bad idea, though the ten-foot span gives the group a little room.

Spoiler
    Show
    In what order are you crossing the bridge? You can tell me OOC or IC.

LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Mina has her homunculus fly overhead to explore the area before they arrive, "What happened to your raven, Isaac? Do you think that the bridge is sound? It looks a bit rickety to me."

Spoiler: META
    Show
    Scroll bearer
    Spot (1d20+4)[6]
    Listen (1d20+4)[9]
    Mina
    Spot (1d20+1)[15]
    Listen (1d20+1)[4]
    Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (1d20+4)[18]

I don't mind the order but Mina doesn't want to go first. I suggest sending the heavy, armour covered, hobgoblin warrior or the dancing human first.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrex keeps his spiked chain held loosely in his hands but is otherwise unconcerned with the area around him. He'll walk at the head of the group, all confidence.

"I will cross first. Wait until I am across to follow. I have bathed once already today and do not need to do so again."

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20)[9]
    Listen: (1d20)[13]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

29. - Top - End - #239

Issac looks suspiciously at the bridge, then turns to Mina. "Oh, my raven is currently unavailable, I'll explain later. More importantly, I suspect there is something lurking in this area. Look," he says, pointing, "doesn't the moss and water on this bridge seem strange on such a hot day? Something crossing the land and not following the road must have crossed it recently, no more than a few hours ago. I'll go after Wrex, just in case."

His short sword on one hand and his buckler on the other, Isaac cautiously walks after Wrex, ready to jump out of harm's way if anything happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Say, since I currently have Uncanny Dodge from Paimon, that means that I don't lose my Dexterity bonus to AC even if flat-footed. One loses dodge bonuses to AC only if you are denied your Dexterity bonus. Can I therefore use the Total Defense action before moving towards the bridge, since it's a dodge bonus?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just as a note, the bridge isn't ridiculously slippery. It is, however, a DC 10 if you want to run or charge, and if you fail you get a reflex save or you slip off into the water. Just don't run, and you'll be fine.

LGBTitP