New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Debuff Condition Balance

Howdy, folks. I'm working on homebrewing a bunch of models from Warmachine/Hordes into Pathfinder 2R and today I'm working on the Agonizer. https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Agonizer

I'm trying to decide how best to translate the Agonies. Gnawing Pain seems like it would be pretty straightforward, inflicting Enfeebled on creatures in range. I'm thinking to make it an Unholy effect, as in my setting the Skorne Empire is comprised of Devils and Nephilim, and Holy creatures suffer 1 additional point of whatever condition is applied.

Maddening is less obvious. I could implement it as-is and create a Fury system for other Warbeasts as I make them, but that feels unnecessary and tedious. Maybe treat it like Inspire Courage? I'd rather change Maddening to inflict a similar condition to Enfeebled. The name would suggest something mental, so perhaps Stupefied? But then that steps on the toes of Spiritual Affliciton, which would essentially Silence casters around it.

That said, Silence seems a bit strong compared to Enfeebled. Perhaps instead of that it inflicts something like Fatigued? That way Gnawing Pain nerfs melee, Maddening nerfs spellcasting, and Spiritual Affliction lowers defenses. Does this seem like a reasonably balanced way to divvy out debuffs? It would only be able to use one per turn and would last until the start of its next. Do any of those seem significantly stronger than the others, and do you have an alternative to suggest?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ZenBear; 2024-01-27 at 06:49 PM.