New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: High School Harem Comedy (Game System, PEACH)

A penny is a yen.

Difficulty 3:100-999¥ (1 dollar to 9.99 dollars) (Anything in this bracket can be bought off hand by anyone not taking a penalty to their finances at the moment.)
    Difficulty 6:1,000-9,999¥ (10 dollars to 99 dollars)
    Difficulty 9:10,000-99,999¥ (100 dollars to 999 dollars)
    By that, we then see...
    D12:100,000-999,999 (1,000 dollars to 9,999 dollars)
    D15:1,000,000-9,999,999 (10,000 dollars to 99,999 dollars)
    D18:10,000,000-99,999,999 (100,000 dollars to 999,999 dollars)
    D21:100,000,000-999,999,999 (1,000,000 dollars to 9,999,999 dollars)

And so on.

If it's done as a bonus, +15 seems about right for Dazzling Display (for more money then they'll see in their lifetimes, you really do need to hit D21 to pull that off.) 15+6 is 21, other bonuses not withstanding, so you can JUST hit that level.

As for how contingency plan counters this...I can only guess the contingency plan user hacked the bank and froze your assets, or possibly she has a strong magnet that ruins credit cards, thus countering the ability and embarrassing the Oujo quite a bit when her Platinum Card is now worthless.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2014-04-01 at 10:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    If it's done as a bonus, +15 seems about right for Dazzling Display (for more money then they'll see in their lifetimes, you really do need to hit D21 to pull that off.) 15+6 is 21, other bonuses not withstanding, so you can JUST hit that level.

As for how contingency plan counters this...I can only guess the contingency plan user hacked the bank and froze your assets, or possibly she has a strong magnet that ruins credit cards, thus countering the ability and embarrassing the Oujo quite a bit when her Platinum Card is now worthless.
    You haven't gotten the point so I'll flat out say it now: I am not accepting Judgment calls from anyone other than this system's creator on this subject.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Then say it. We're just tossing around ideas. If you don't like them, maybe someone else will, or maybe Rainy will find them interesting.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Then say it. We're just tossing around ideas. If you don't like them, maybe someone else will, or maybe Rainy will find them interesting.
    I'm sorry, that was directed at the person I quoted. I've said numerous times I'd like to get Rainy's opinion on what it should do. I don't quite get where I've been ambiguous. My last post merely reiterated that I'd like to get Rainy's opinion by being more exclusionary than I really want to in response to nagging.

The more important fact is that I don't think an ability that has limited uses should pretty much bypass a mechanic I've created on an indefinite basis, which is what the post I responded to was suggesting. I'm perfectly OK with the ability bypassing the mechanic a few times straight up, or with the ability bypassing the mechanic on a really good roll though
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2014-04-01 at 03:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

I'm aware, and I was saying that your hostility towards him was not well founded. This is a public forum. Other people can chime in on conversations as they please, barring certain forms of etiquette (namely, PbP games).

And nowhere in your recent posts have you said anything about Rainy's opinion.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

6. - Top - End - #456
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    I'm aware, and I was saying that your hostility towards him was not well founded.
    You don't actually know that.

And nowhere in your recent posts have you said anything about Rainy's opinion.
    Not here anyway. This isn't the only place I've responded to the user in question on the subject. I'm sorry to have roped you into it.
    Last edited by steelsmiter; 2014-04-01 at 03:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Until she insists that they simply grab there computer/smart phone app/what ever and simply do it by keying in the relevant numbers in the same fashion anyone shopping online with a credit card. At which point it's just "oh, no worries, system must of glitched/the physical card must be about due to be replaced, easily resolved."

I'd say this requires too much smarts except it's pretty basic in the field of having/spending money in assorted amounts alot of the time. Which is kinda the Oujo's specialty. Not knowing that would be like the sports nut not knowing the rules to her preferred sport(s).
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello, everyone! It's good to be back. I've been a bit too occupied with other things to make much progress on the system, but I still have every intention to carry on with this little project sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    The final issue to discuss is how Contingency Plan affects this. That's my reason for thinking anything more than flavor text wasn't anticipated. Would Contingency Plan negate the purchase power? Would it simply reduce it?
    I think it would be simplest if I explained why Contingency Plan nullifies Dazzling Display.

Suppose you've got an Ojou and a Meganekko in the same game. Suppose the Ojou uses Dazzling Display in the same scene the Meganekko uses Contingency Plan. The Meganekko then ends up simultaneously needing to roll twice and take the higher roll, and roll twice and take the lower roll. What does she do? Roll twice, take the higher roll, roll twice, take the higher roll, and then take the lower of those two results? Roll twice, take the lower roll, roll twice, take the lower roll, and the take the higher of those two results? They both make sense and would probably make a fun expectation value problem, but I'd rather just keep things simple for this game. So Contingency Plan just flat out negates Dazzling Display, and it's a pretty fair resolution for both sides since the Meganekko actually gets to use her advantage, and the Ojou still gets to inflict Dazzling Display on everyone besides the Meganekko.

Anything you want to attribute to Dazzling Display beyond the mechanic of making your rivals roll twice and take the lower result is frankly beyond anything I had in mind for it. I think it's delightful that people are taking the game and having fun messing around with it, but I don't have anything special to say about things I didn't write.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Anything you want to attribute to Dazzling Display beyond the mechanic of making your rivals roll twice and take the lower result is frankly beyond anything I had in mind for it. I think it's delightful that people are taking the game and having fun messing around with it, but I don't have anything special to say about things I didn't write.
    I was kind of afraid of that. No worries. I'm thinking on making actual purchase roll negation twice an episode if for no reason than because adding any 'acceptable' bonus would break the game by allowing the purchase of items that would unbalance it. Still, the purchase of two items per episode of any value could be a hindrance too. Then I have unexplained disappearances, even though I really hate to vanish characters.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just popping in to thank you for this amusing game, and how much it means to me to play a game so carefree and rules-lite Its been a while since a game has made me laugh so hard at my players antics.

On a related note I just started up recruitment for this game, if you desire to watch it progress

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, guess who finally came up with another update?
    -Four new Universal Advantages.
    -One new advantage each for Kuudere and Sukeban.
    -New archetype: Martial Artist!

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLotus View Post
    Just popping in to thank you for this amusing game, and how much it means to me to play a game so carefree and rules-lite Its been a while since a game has made me laugh so hard at my players antics.
    Glad you're enjoying it!

12. - Top - End - #462

It just occurred to me there's a new class that should be introduced:

Yamato Nadeshiko

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, guess who finally came up with another update?
    -Four new Universal Advantages.
    -One new advantage each for Kuudere and Sukeban.
    -New archetype: Martial Artist!

And, naturally, a new PDF update...
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2014-04-06 at 09:34 PM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Love the new stuff, especially Splash Magnet.

Not to be overly critical or anything but I noticed a little typo: the headline for Tsundere reads "Thundere".
    Thank you for your hard work.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Bugbear in the Playground

First things first, awesome system, Rainy Knight.

Secondly, if anyone's interested I'm starting recruitment for a game of this. Here's a link to the thread if you'd like to join or just watch the madness.
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Love the new stuff, especially Splash Magnet.

Not to be overly critical or anything but I noticed a little typo: the headline for Tsundere reads "Thundere".
    Thank you for your hard work.
    Yup...that's what happens when you don't ride herd on the spell check when you use lots of Japanese words lol...
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mekboy View Post
    First things first, awesome system, Rainy Knight.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    "Thundere"
    S-stupid Lightning-kun! Don't get the wrong idea, I'm just booming out whenever you flash because I have to, that's all!

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!

S-stupid Lightning-kun! Don't get the wrong idea, I'm just booming out whenever you flash because I have to, that's all!
    This game blended with Lords of Creation...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

While looking for new artwork for the PDF I stumbled across this.... lol

- L. Long

20. - Top - End - #470

And when you referred to Thundere and 'lightning-kun', I immediately got a picture of Final Fantasy 13's Lightning (who is very female), and this just got even more interesting.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

And when you referred to Thundere and 'lightning-kun', I immediately got a picture of Final Fantasy 13's Lightning (who is very female), and this just got even more interesting.
    Yes...the Pervert lightning-kun flashing poor Thundere....

- L. Long

22. - Top - End - #472
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rule 63 anyone? I would hate to see Snow.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Trying again with my idea for the Magical Girl. {PEACH.}

Spoiler: Mahou Shoujo
    Show

"In the name of love and justice, you will pay for what you have done, Demon!"

Sweet and innocent. Cute as a button, and more dangerous than the monsters they fight every night. But no power on any of the worlds in all the Universe is capable of overcoming true love. And that power has drawn the young Magical Girl to poor, hapless Protagonist-Kun. And nothing; no monster, power, or girl will keep them apart.

Costume Transformation: Magical Girls have unique costumes which serve the same function as medieval Battle Armor. This costume is usually very attractive in some way, be it innocent or otherwise, and Protagonist-kun will surely notice it. Twice an episode, this advantage allows Allure to be substituted for Conflict rolls.

Youkai Hunter: Magical Girls fight demons in life or death conflicts on a near constant basis. This practical use of their power translates very well to realizing when to push themselves just a little harder for the ones they love. This advantage grants the Magical Girl a +2 Bonus to any Conflict roll involving martial prowess.

Power of Love: Not every Magical Girl has incredible power. But they all have heart. And to the Magical Girl, heart is everything. And in the presence of her true love, nothing can stop her. Only once per episode, when she is present with Protagonist-kun, the stars align, the power within her swells, and the Mahou Shoujo can give herself an incredible advantage. She can use her magic to transform any roll into an automatic 6 as she pours her heart and soul into what she is doing.

Gift of the Heavens: The Magical Girl has made a contract with a higher power in exchange for her abilities. This contract came with a great boon, but came with a hefty price as well. This advantage grants a Magical Girl with the ability to, thrice per episode, roll any die roll twice and choose the better of the two. This power comes at a price however, and gives a penalty to her next roll equal to the value of the die roll she did not choose.

Witch's Kiss: love unrequited can turn to despair. Despair leads to fear. Fear leads to Nightmares. Twice per episode, when the Mahou Shoujo fails a roll, she may apply a -2 penalty to every girl in the next scene(herself included.) this takes the form of despondency and lethargy, more highly pronounced in the Witch that called this curse forth.

Champion of the Heart: Fighting for love is not something you do part-time. It requires a commitment of everything you have: mind, body and soul. Failure is not taken very well, but the best Mahou Shoujo will always bounce back and throw herself back into the fray, stronger than she was before. Whenever the Mahou Shoujo fails a contested roll, she gains a bonus to her next roll with a bonus equal to half the number of girls involved in the roll she failed.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2015-07-27 at 04:45 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #474

Youkai Hunter could transfer into Miko as well, come to think of it.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

So, Rainy, not to be a pest, but, awhile back I suggested an Oni-girl Archatype for the supernatural variant, and you seemed interested in the idea initially, but I kinda hadn't heard anything about it since then, and I was wondering if it just kinda fell by the wayside, or if you'd thought better of it, or if you've got it placed on your to do list for the system, but it's turn hasn't come yet?
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah! I've sort of been letting this rest for a little while, I guess.

I think the Magical Girl archetype you've got there looks pretty good, overall. There's just a few mechanical bits that I'd like to smooth out and balance against the advantages that are already in the game, once I've got some time (i.e. get a break from finals), but I think the concept is solid.

Sorry if I missed the Oni girl before! If I had to say what I think about it now, I'd say that I'm having a hard time thinking of examples of that kind of girl in any anime I've watched. If it's not something that immediately calls an example to mind, I sort of question if it's really a harem 'archetype' to begin with.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Well, let me put it this way. You've seen Harem shows of assorted sub-styles/flavors were they have at least one character that's massively/superhumanly strong, either to comedic effect or as a plot point, cause supernatural or super powers or aliens or something? Were they have a character set up as a sort of amazon who towers over the protagonist and most of the rest of the cast? Said character might or might not be ultra violent and/or happy go lucky or extreamly stoic?

That's kinda the type of character I was looking for that Archatype to capture. Admittidly it's not the most common one, even less so as the "winner" if there is one in a given series, but it does float around in places.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Well, let me put it this way. You've seen Harem shows of assorted sub-styles/flavors were they have at least one character that's massively/superhumanly strong, either to comedic effect or as a plot point, cause supernatural or super powers or aliens or something? Were they have a character set up as a sort of amazon who towers over the protagonist and most of the rest of the cast? Said character might or might not be ultra violent and/or happy go lucky or extreamly stoic?

That's kinda the type of character I was looking for that Archatype to capture. Admittidly it's not the most common one, even less so as the "winner" if there is one in a given series, but it does float around in places.
    Going by the strict definition of "Oni" (variously translated as demons, devils, ogres or trolls), having an Oni-Girl AND a Demon Girl could be a bit redundant. An Oni-Girl with the traditional appearance (hideous, gigantic ogre-like creatures with sharp claws, wild hair, and two long horns growing from their heads, humanoid for the most part, but occasionally shown with unnatural features such as odd numbers of eyes or extra fingers and toes and skin may be any number of colors, but red and blue are particularly common) would be rather hard to explain in your typical Tokyo High School. One that was close enough to pass for human would be almost indistinguishable from the Demon Girl, except by advantages...essentially putting two Demon Girl archetypes into play.

As for an (anime) example of an Oni-Girl: In Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura, the female lead, Lum Invader, is an oni alien depicted wearing a tiger-skin bikini; as a matter of fact, the entire alien race to which she belongs is fashioned after the classical concept of oni.

P.S. ALL anime girls get superhumanly strong when mad/embarrassed. They have also been known to produce the freakishly large HDH (Hyper-Dimensional Hammer) from thin air and pound the protagonist into the middle of the next episode/issue).

P.P.S Rainy could always add some supernatural only advantages (such as Inhumanly Strong) that could allow (in a supernatural game) a girl to be half-oni, for example.

P.P.P.S Rainy could also add some disadvantages (such as an Unnatural Fear) to give a girl a handy cap that the other girls could exploit: For example a girl with an Unnatural Fear of water would be hard pressed to woo protagonist-kun if the other girls lured him out to a day at the beach. (Which could back-fire on the other girls if protagonist-kun insisted on helping said girl when she freaks out as the surf covers her toes.)
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2014-05-03 at 04:08 AM.

- L. Long

29. - Top - End - #479

Perhaps, instead of 'oni-girl' what we're actually looking for is 'cute monster girl.'

See, Monster Girl Encylopedia.

http://monstergirlencyclopedia.wikia...l_Encyclopedia

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Something between cute monster girl and an Amazon/Valkyrie Archetype, yeah.

And yes I'm aware that a strictly classic Oni wouldn't fit, but then neither would a stoker vampire of Judao-Christian Demon, doesn't stop those from being archetypes.

That having been said, naming it "Oni Girl" was just something I came upon for "Insanely strong/tough, often but not always a warrior and/or in possession of a wild streak, my be a fair bit larger then the protagonist, though if she isn't she's probably about his size or only v and is almost certain to be larger then any other character competing for the protagonist.

And yes, I know, I know, ALL Anime Girls get super strength when hammer space and cartoon physics kick in and there's a punchline to be had about stupidly big hammers or randomly having a chair to bean people she doesn't like over the head with form across the room or some such. This was kinda meant to be more along the lines of "Can also do it when it would do something other then just be a punchline/can make it a punchline outside of hammer space."
    "I Burn!"