New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Five Gems (In-Character Thread)

"No!" Compass Rose adamantly replies. "Um, I mean, no thank you." These ponies think I can't even handle cookies! There's no way they're going to trust me adventuring.

"Um, yes, actually." Compass Rose peers over her guest's back, trying to look out the window. "There will be fifteen more."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Steel bites the cookie, dissapointed by the lack of chocolate in it. He looks again and notices the reddish texture. Bah. Foiled again. It's not bad, though. At least it has that going for it. And besides, if there WAS chocolate, well...there's no telling what he would do. Totally-not-changelings have an inability to help themselves around chocolate.

He blinks when he hears the number of additional explorers. Fifteen?!
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-07-02 at 06:06 PM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

"So, uh, do you all know each other already?"

Elixir looks around at the group. He'd been in Canterlot a couple of years now, and had met many ponies (and other races) but these were all newcomers to him.

"There will be fifteen more."

Elixir raises an eyebrow at this. "This must be a pretty big expedition."
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Iron Wing glares at the roof when he hears the cursing but declines to comment on it. When the conversation turns he rejoins it eagerly Not At All! Most Of Us Met Through The Lucky Coincidence Of Arriving At The Same Time!

Naturally We Shall Require A Large Expedition! This Is No Mere Weekend Camping Trip, But A Quest To Retrieve One Of The Most Valuable Artifacts Of All Time! No Doubt There Are Many Who Wish To Partake In The Glory That This Expedition Shall Accumulate! And No Doubt That Many Of Ancient Myth's Colleagues Will Also Wish To Bring A Servant Or Two Along!
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #35

Or, perhaps he wishes to assemble a team of treasure hunters from the best representatives of all related fields and invited so many because he intends to judge us for individual merit before turning away those who do not meet his requirements?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2013-07-02 at 07:33 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #36

Or maybe he chose a group so large because he forsees not all will return. Compass Rose shudders, then silently swallows her fears.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

That's Possible, But From What I've Seen Of Ancient Myth It Doesn't Seem Likely.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #38

Do we know when others are supposed to arrive?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Naturally We Shall Require A Large Expedition! This Is No Mere Weekend Camping Trip, But A Quest To Retrieve One Of The Most Valuable Artifacts Of All Time! No Doubt There Are Many Who Wish To Partake In The Glory That This Expedition Shall Accumulate! And No Doubt That Many Of Ancient Myth's Colleagues Will Also Wish To Bring A Servant Or Two Along!

Elixir smiles at the boisterous Griffon. "You seem pretty excited about this. That's good. Nothing beats a good adventure, eh?"

Or, perhaps he wishes to assemble a team of treasure hunters from the best representatives of all related fields and invited so many because he intends to judge us for individual merit before turning away those who do not meet his requirements?

That's Possible, But From What I've Seen Of Ancient Myth It Doesn't Seem Likely.

"Oh, I do hope there won't be some kind of test. I haven't studied!," Elixir jokes. "Have you met Ancient Myth, Mr. Iron Wing? You seem to know something about him."
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

I think it's gonna be a competition. Steel Wind adds. Even if there are...fifteen....other ponies, I can't imagine such an operation proceeding without us tripping over each other's hooves. Or talons. He says, looking at Iron Wing. Ancient has some method in mind of narrowing that number down, if the others aren't there for some backup or utility purposes.

11. - Top - End - #41

maybe there are mutable treasures that he seeks, and intends to send out multiple teams to retrieve them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Of Course! I Welcome Any Adventure, But As You Can Imagine This Adventure Is Of Utmost Importance To Me!

I Have Never Met Ancient Myth Before, But From What I've Seen Around Here Ancient Myth Does Not Seem To Be The Pickiest Of Ponies. Besides Fifteen Ponies Is Not Truly That Large Of An Expedition! Particularly If It Includes Companions And Assistants!
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

*Taps hoof, looking quiet bored as he waits for others to arrive*

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #44

It's important to you? An ancient artifact of Griffon origin might be something their High King, Sicale thinks he's called, would want to personally commission the recovery of. Maybe similar expeditions are the source of Ancient's apparent affluence. Either way such an expedition might be represented by a few more than one single Griffon, the totally-not-a-Changeling thinks.

It's important to you? Steel Wing inquires, putting emphasis on the "you." How come?

15. - Top - End - #45

He did introduce himself to us as the future king of the griffons. Retrieving the crown of an ancient griffon king would give his claim to the throne a sense off legitimacy.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed! Iron Wing nods to Adamant As You Can Imagine Retrieving The Crown Is Of Utmost Importance To My Future! This Expedition Shall Speed My Own Ambitions By Decades Or More!
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Steel Wing finds himself adjusting his sunglasses again. Is that how the Griffin heirachy changes? This sounds so much like home it's uncanny. Sicale is reminded about how standard procedure for royal succession is that the new Queen ousts the old one through guile or some sort of coup. Maybe the Griffin Kingdoms do something similar...?

18. - Top - End - #48

Are you actually griffon royalty? Almost escapes Compass Rose's mouth. This is exciting; I actually know little about griffons, perhaps this adventure will open my mind to new things.
    Last edited by HotRoute; 2013-07-05 at 05:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Gerry Rig sighs, brushing his mane back from his eyes with one dusty hoof. And then he could a bit, because, like, dusty? Eww.

Whatever, man.

It was just three days ago, he sat on the lounge of lower Canterlot's premiere nightclub, staring down at an official writ of leave (Retirement, they mean!) and wondering what he was going to do with his life. It was two days ago, to the hour, he got the notice from Ancient Myth seeking contractors for a privately funded expedition, old school style on a vellum scroll and everything. It was about five hours ago Gerry rig had crumpled up the writ of leave and left it, and the rubbish bin containing it, an enough bits to cover rent for the loft for the next year behind him.

Never too late to start again, right? It's only been two years since Schema pulled him out of the opera circuit and showed him that a night club was all noise, and now he was as native as those Fillydelphia fillies grinding out to PON-3's Lon beats were.

... Maybe he shouldn't keep remembering that.

This is the place. It has to be; right address, right style, patterns of wear on the door so it's used frequently, open loft for wing transit... And a slightly open entryway. Well, if that wasn't an invitation, what was? These adventurous types were always for their mystery stories, maybe this was set up like a novel?

One thick but well-manicured hoof slowly pushes open the door, and then quickly rejoins its comrades clopping out a walking rhythm. Yellowish ears swivel; some talking in the interior. Probably dining hall, given the state of the building right? They'd put the dinner below the master bedroom so guests wouldn't hear anything, and with the wings they way they are you'd need to buttress it with a few—

[color="orange"]Oh, man! You need a hobby, Gerry! You're dissecting neoclassical architecture again...[/orange] the earth pony mumbles to himself. Let's just find these folks and introduce ourself.

The light russet earth pony pushes open the Simon room door, not bothering to be unobtrusive (it's not like they could hear him anyway, the way that one pony is crowing!), and smiling. A well-kept brown mane crowns his amber eyes, making up with polish what they lack in presence; if the mane wasn't swept back, he would probably be rocking a pompadour. Bulging and worn burlap saddlebags cover a woolen tunic of faded navy blue, the sleeves ending in golden-copper-brass apparatii festooned with some innocuous looking gears and crystal lenses. A rusted black, faceted ring adorns either of his wide flanks, set off by a bobbed tail. He's waving a familiar scroll and smiling like a tourin rock star who's been found in an IHOP by fans.

Hey there! Is this where we meet Ancient Myth? You guys and gals the rest of the crew? Name's Gerry Rig, engineer. stuffing the scroll into a pack, he extends a hoof to the crowd.

20. - Top - End - #50

Hello there, I am Adamant Shield.*Gestures to Sicale* this is my friend Steal Wind. According to Compass, was it?*Gestures to compass rose* there should be 14 others arriving. the griffon is Iron Wing, And my Fellow Unicorn is ... *Looks to Elixer*Actually I did not catch your name.

*Looks back to Gerry Rig* so, what is your area of expertise?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2013-07-04 at 08:54 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

I Have No Wish To Bore You With Politics But I Will Say That The Current King Is A Farce Of A Ruler And That Every Griffon Would Welcome A New Strong Leader.

Iron Wing shakes Gerry Rig's hoof vigorously. Good To Meet You! Apparently The Total Party Size Shall Be Fifteen So There Are Ponies Yet To Arrive! We Are Still Awaiting Ancient Myth Ourselves So Please Sit Down And Tell Us About Yourself!
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Compass Rose's back is turned when the door swings open and she is caught off-guard by the new arrival. "Ah!" She hustles to greet the newcomer. "Welcome, you must be Ancient Myth's guest. Please come in," she says with a half bow, before starting off in the exact same speech as before, "Welcome to the home of Ancient Myth, one of Canterlot's most accomplished archaeologists. You were all called here to aid in the investigation in a valuable artifact, a crown once belonging to a griffon king. My name is Compass Rose; I have worked with Ancient Myth for some time now, and will be accompanying you on your journey." Once again, she stammers at the end. "Along with, uh, these ponies here, we're waiting for fifteen others. So, um, is there anything I can get you, something to eat?" She says with an endearing smile, trying to be hostly. A piece of towel cloth drapes in front of her face, so she blows it back up into place.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Elixir turns to Gerry and Adamant. "Name's Elixir. I run Potion Power, down in the Canterlot lower levels. Magical potions and alchemical formulas for every situation! We always have the mix you need!" he says, speaking his shop's tagline by rote. He leans in to the two of them conspiratorially. "Don't go to Magnum Opus's House of Potions. That guy will rip you off."
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Before the introductions can be completed, Ancient Myth himself comes downstairs.

Spoiler
    Show

He's followed by a large bookbag, clearly enchanted to follow him and sporting a dark blue aura.

He looks the small group up and down slightly. "Hrmph. Number of absent invited creatures is 25% greater than anticipated," he mutters to himself. "Probability of traffic delaying arrival is 73.48%. Should give them another fifteen minutes before briefing." He turns to head back upstairs, then pauses, turning to address Compass Rose. "Magnetic Lily, remove that ridiculous turban. It makes you look like a Saddle Arabian."

And with that parting shot, he trots back upstairs.
    I run the Five Gems campaign, where ponies, griffons, and changlings search for five mystical gems to unlock the vault to the mighty Crown of the Griffon King.
    IC thread

OOC thread

If you like DC, Marvel, and Worm, check out Invincible, wherein Emma Barnes triggers with the Kryptonian package.
    If you enjoy Self-Inserts, Worm, and/or Mistborn, check out Preservation.

25. - Top - End - #55

*Looking at compass* Does he always get your name wrong?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Gerry Rig shakes the proffered talon in return, with almost as much vigour; say, 82.137% vigour. Woah, there! It's like being the new colt in class all over again! If you aren't careful you'll get ponies running off to sit in the corner for being tardy! he jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRoute View Post
    "Along with, uh, these ponies here, we're waiting for fifteen others. So, um, is there anything I can get you, something to eat?" She says with an endearing smile, trying to be hostly. A piece of towel cloth drapes in front of her face, so she blows it back up into place.
    Hey there, relax! See, guys, you've got the T.A. All flustered. Gerry sniffs the air, nostrils flaring almost comically. And yeah, something smells— and then suddenly there is a unicorn with the kind of mustache you see mounted on scooters to steer by, and he's... Aw, no way, he's talking math?! Gerry Rig grimaces (comically, since pony telepathy is still in the developmental stages and not only can read his mind), and watches Ancient Myth trot about in a solipsistic haze, before retiring upstairs once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Elixir turns to Gerry and Adamant. "Name's Elixir. I run Potion Power, down in the Canterlot lower levels. Magical potions and alchemical formulas for every situation! We always have the mix you need!" he says, speaking his shop's tagline by rote. He leans in to the two of them conspiratorially. "Don't go to Magnum Opus's House of Potions. That guy will rip you off."
    Woah, hey! You're famous, dude. Highly recommended by the playful youth down at Raise the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The engineer pony slings a foreleg over Compass Rose's shoulder, grinning. that? Nah, that was, like, a nickname. Because you're so magnetic, and sweet as a flower, amiright? Gerry Rig's face goes slack for an instant, and he, again, sniffs. Hey, wait, it's you! You smell like fizzy drink. Why do you smell delicious?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-07-05 at 01:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Elixir raises an eyebrow at the brief appearance of the group's potential employer.

"Did that just happen? 73.48%? This guy talks like a calculator."

The alchemist magically pulls a small book and quill from his saddlebags and begins writing something.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    "Did that just happen? 73.48%? This guy talks like a calculator."
    Oh man, I know! Gerry Rig in slings his foreleg from the poor, probably traumatized pony with a sticky, wet ripping sound and a blegh face before giving Elixer his full attention. Seriously though, a pony can do calculations like that, he needs to apply it. Could you imagine if he were at the observatory charting heavenly bodies, or like, a sculptor! He could go to the clubs, and take notes, charting heavenly bodies. Haha! But no, I'm just kidding that's amazing, but totally weird.

Gerry Rig scoops up a hoof full of cookie, and tosses them to fall – one, two, three! – into his open, waiting mouth. The nomming sounds alternate between sickly and humorous, much like a certain pie-guzzling bolt of wonder. Bhut ennywai – om nomnom *gulp* – anyway, I'm an engineer. Like, uh, I can... he frowns, forelock falling between his eyes like a defeated peacock's tailcrest lowering. Well, I mean, I can do lots of things. Do I have to pick one? I'm really good at putting together useful tools and structures from almost nothing, though. My great grand-dad was kinda famous for the same thing, you might have heard of McDiver? They made a series of plays about him, always fixing things with tape and a bobby pin.

29. - Top - End - #59

Sicale has absolutely no hope of ever getting used to the ridiculous naming customs of these ponies (and Zebra and Griffon.) Why can't they have normal sounding names like Helix or Carcenos? Magnetic Lily takes the cake though, and the totally-not-a-Changeling has to summon all of his mental strength to keep from snickering at the thought of a magnet flower. Now that he mentioned it he just knows that somewhere somehow a pony couple just named their newborn mare Magnet Flower.

You're related to McDiver?! Steel Wind exclaims in exitement, the tales of his antics having spread all the way to Hive Hemiphera. Truth be told at least one of the actors who played the part of McDiver in the plays was a Changeling.

30. - Top - End - #60

Compass Rose ducks her head deeply embarrassed. "Eheh, he's just so busy, you know? Always thinking five step ahead of himself..."

The engineer pony slings a foreleg over Compass Rose's shoulder, grinning. that? Nah, that was, like, a nickname. Because you're so magnetic, and sweet as a flower, amiright? Gerry Rig's face goes slack for an instant, and he, again, sniffs. Hey, wait, it's you! You smell like fizzy drink. Why do you smell delicious?
    The rose-colored pony turns a shade redder as Gerry manages to crack an honest smile out of the filly. "N-never thought of it that way..." Of course he doesn't mean that. Ancient Myth has never shown an iota of emotion to somepony, let alone me. But it's nice that somepony would say that, even if he's just being nice. The sniffing pony brings Compass Rose back down to earth. "Oh, heh, sorry." She rips the towel off her head; her messy mane falls in front of her, clumped together in parts, a few shades darker green than before the mishap. "Slipped with the punchbowl, eeehhh... maybe I should put some on every morning? Heh..." Compass Rose blushes again. What am I saying!? He's just trying to be nice, pull yourself together...

The hostess watches Ancient Myth walk back up the stairs. "Seriously? Not even going to say hello?" She stammers under baited breath. I don't know how much more of this I can take! Her eyes wander to the back of the room. Although the seem to be taking care of themselves... Compass Rose takes a deep breath, then approaches the griffon. "Are you really in competition for the throne, Iron Wing? Is the griffon ruling structure a true kratocracy?"