New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Challenge

Xavier's soothing tone and words seem to calm the little dragons a great deal. They begin to peer around the bushes and trees from where they are hiding until they are taken aback by Leena's harsh words and the low growl of her beastly companion. They all scuttle quite quickly behind the brush once again.

D2: It seems that one among you does not care for our kind... (clearly noticing Leena's obvious disdain).

D1: But... we do see that you bear us no ill will.

d1: At least HE, the Human (referring to Xavier).

D1: Then what will it be... a riddle, my brothers?

d2: Yes a riddle!

d1: Ooh, fun!

D2: Yes, a riddle, you must answer in order for you to pass.

D1: If you answer correctly, we will guide you in your quest.

d2: And if they do not?

d1: If they do not....

D1: If they do not, no help from us will they receive.

d2: And a wager?

d1: Yes! A wager!

D1: Interesting, yes, a wager... 500 pieces of gold if you fail.

d2: They WILL fail!

D2: What say you, humanoids?

They all slowly peak around the trees and bushes that they are hiding behind, awaiting an answer, while being sure to be safe from any "stray" arrows that may be loosed.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 11:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

I attempt to identify the Dragons in question. My Knowledge Arcana check roll was 7 plus 29 ranks for a total of 36.

Xavier to Leena: Please put your bow down and stifle your hatred. I can assure you these Dragons are no threat to us.

Xavier to Dragons: Pardon my overly aggressive friend here. She has had some bad experiences with some more evil members of your kind. That being said, I can guarantee you her heart is in the right place. Now, please come forward and speak with me plainly for I have no gold and we have little time for riddles and games at the moment. I should add that my friends and I are here under the orders of Bahamut, himself!

My Diplomacy check roll was a 6 plus 40 for a total of 46.
    Last edited by Xavier Alexis; 2013-09-26 at 02:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Bear Ghost says, Times are troublesome little ones.. especially for your kind. We have no time for games. For the lady who has the orbs that can control your kind isn't playing games.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Leena says very cautiously, "very well, Xavier."
    I lower my bow and calm Relio down by patting his back, just enough to ease him but to still keep him alert.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Challenge Denied

Xavier, you take a quick glance at the dragons, now that they have revealed themselves. You determine that they are copper dragons, naturally good-hearted riddlers, jokesters, and pranksters. They typically stay away from cold climates such as this, which is vexing (the Doomblizzard Peaks are in a perpetual winter season) and have a stream of acid as a breath weapon, sharing the immunity. Remember that Xavier alone knows this.

Your words intrigue the dragons as they step forward in confidence.

D1: Bahamut? Surely you jest! (seeing the seriousness in your face and tone)

D2: No, they are serious... not fun at all. Well there is little that we can do to help Bahamut...

d2: But we do know...

D2: (interrupting) yes, we do know something that may be related...

d1: To the riddle, then?

d2: Ha!

D1: Yes, you may answer if you wish... we will leave you, regardless. If you answer correctly, we will give you answers that you may seek.

d1: And what of the wager?

D2: We shall... just have fun this time. (there is a hint of synergy here, as if the foursome have done this before)

D1: No wager.

(the smaller dragons seemed upset about the wager having been dropped)

D2: So we begin...

D1: I go up, but never down;
    D2: With my embrace, mortals frown (sadly).

The dragons come closer to everyone, almost circling and taunting you with their rhyming words

d2: (excitedly) Though dragons revel in my light!
    D1: For they gain power and endless might.
    D2: Lifeless objects who feel my sting...
    D1: Will one day crumble to nothing.

They tend to gravitate away from Leena and Reli, and more toward Xavier and Bear Ghost (Xavier because he seems so nice and relatable and Bear Ghost because he has lots of "shiny things" on him that catch their attention; remember that the Vow of Poverty Xavier is dressed in black, tattered rags).

d2: When asked of me, many lie.
    d1: So tell me now, what am I?

D2: Let us see, will the truth you reach?
    d2: (voice cracking and croaking a bit) Three guesses you have, one for each.

They all back away together before you all, keeping their space and distance.

d1: So answer now, now we begin!
    D1: Let us see now who will win...

At this point, they wait patiently for your answer. You are free to do away with the riddle and go on, or you could answer. Either way, you have nothing to lose.

Please do not "Google" the riddle for the answer. I wrote it myself, but outside hints defeat the purpose of this (remember the honor system).
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-27 at 08:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Bear Ghost rubs his chin.

7. - Top - End - #37

Xavier to Leena: Thank you Leena and remember, it matters not who strikes first as long as we strike last!

Xavier to Dragons: I will play along if you insist. After all, it only takes a moment. That being said, I believe the thing you are referring to in your riddle is "age".
    Last edited by Xavier Alexis; 2013-09-27 at 07:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Challenge Denied

All of the dragons suddenly seem to change their demeanor, as if solving their riddle ruined the better part of their day.

D1: A crafty one among your ranks...

d2: The one in rags, no less!

D2: Yes, the answer is "age," as mortals fear its inevitability, dragons embrace it's blessings, while objects eventually...

d1: (interrupting) Crumble to dust?

D2: Yes, crumble to dust.

D1: On your way then... But first...

d2: First what we promised. Our mother... Was kill--

D1: (interrupting) Driven off, yes...

D2: By a huge red dragon. He had others with him.

d1: They were silvers!

D1: Most probably whites.. We escaped, just us to the west.

d2: Perhaps the answers you seek lie to the east where...

D2: Where the mountain range runs high (pointing off into the distance), and the land runs wet and hot.

d2: Before we part...

D2: Not now...

d1: Why not?

d2: A joke?

d1: Yes! Have you heard any good ones?

D1: Do share...

The dragons are pleased with the interaction, but seem eager for more. They offered insight, possibly to where the red dragon who commands the Orb of Silver Dragons may lie. The location runs just north of where the black dragon ruins (with all of the lizard folk) lie.

Night begins to fall and you set up camp. The dragons hang around, offering some good and some not-so-good laughs and entertainment.

During Leena's watch, a few large grizzly bears come prowling around the camp site. She is able to approach and shoo them away (no roll required) for them to find food elsewhere.

Day breaks. The dragons must have gotten bored at some point and departed some time overnight.

Xavier, as you prepare yourself to continue on, you notice that something about you feels off... As if you feel a slight sense of lethargy. It is an odd sensation that you've never felt before, but everything else-- and everyone else seems fine and ready to move out.

You begin scaling the one of the lightly beaten paths that lead into the valley. Aside from a few snakes and other minor, trivial obstacles, nothing of consequence comes up.

The further you climb and the deeper you go into the mountain, the colder it gets. A few hours in, you have to stop to cover up because of the extreme cold (except Xavier due to his Vow of Poverty immunity; anyone else who can resist cold is unaffected as well). After about half a days trail, you make your way into the valley. At this point the weather has picked up and become a full-blown snow storm. Tracks are all but impossible to follow here due to the limited visibility.

The valley opens up to impossibly open plains, covered in snow, the only refuge the way you've just come.

Bear Ghost thinks to himself that these are truly proving grounds for the mightiest of his clan, while Leena is mostly frustrated because all she can do is determine which way is north.

As you are trekking across the open plains... I need 2 things:
    -Your marching order
    -Spot and listen checks
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-28 at 12:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

I am up front. Spot: roll 13 +1 = 14 Listen: Roll 17 +0 = 17

To Xavier and Leena: This thought has been crossing my mind. This may be the final place where Bear Ghost will do battle. Thank you both for guiding me here. Thought it needed to be said.

10. - Top - End - #40

My Listen check is 23 and my Spot check is 33.

Xavier to Bear Ghost: What do you mean, my friend? Do you no longer wish to adventure or do you have a feeling of dread? I should tell you, I feel somewhat off since waking up today.

I am walking to the left of Bear Ghost as I speak with him.

Remember Rob, I have Contingency cast so if I am attacked while flat-footed, the spell Celerity comes into effect.
    Last edited by Xavier Alexis; 2013-09-28 at 04:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

(I approach from behind)

(Shouting to make my presence known. My words are clipped and precise.) "May the light of Pelor always shine down upon you and light the path before you, Xavier Alexis and Bear Ghost."

(As I approach, I'll lower my voice.) "Greetings, stranger. My name is Christopher Michael, Angel and servant of the Sun. I have traveled from Elysium to join you."

If I'm allowed a roll, my Spot and Listen are both 28.
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2013-09-28 at 07:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

36 listen, 31 spot

Hello, my name is Leena, and this is my dire wolf, Reli. It seems that you have a history with my friends here. What brings you from this "Elysium" that you speak of?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Death from below

Christopher Michael appears behind you all, barely visible or even audible through the howling winds and falling snow.

The weather has picked up, making it much too dangerous to fly; it's been difficult enough trudging through 6 inches of snow for the last few hours on foot.

As he approaches and you all carry on with the pleasantries, both Leena and Christopher sense (hear) a slight trembling beneath their feet. They, along with Xavier, see faint, red pulses of light all around you, from beneath the surface, though they start growing larger and larger. You 3 realize then that the surface you've been traveling on for sometime, although covered by snow, seems to be thick, solid ice (possible once a lake, frozen over).

Bear Ghost is unable to see/hear anything at this point, as the limited visibility and roaring winds continue to dull his senses.

Someone give me an initiative roll. Everyone modify with your individual modifiers. I also need fortitude saves due to the wind (you were struggling out of combat as well). Bear Ghost cannot act in the surprise round, but he'll jump in on his count during the first regular round, like last time.

FYI, due to the weather, take note of the following penalties:
    -4 to spot and listen checks
    -4 to all ranged attacks
    Medium creatures required to make a DC 15 Fort save every round or be "checked" (unable to move; flying creatures get blown back)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Initiative (18+ 2) 20. Fortitude (12+26) 38
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2013-09-29 at 07:46 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Xavier Alexis to Christopher Michael: I cannot believe it! Welcome my brother! It is good to know we have Pelor's blessing and even better to know you are by our side!

(My initiative modifier is plus 7 for a total of 25)

(My Fortitude save is 33)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Edit

I believe that both Bear Ghost and Xavier have items/abilities that grant Freedom of Movement, so they have been able to move quite normally throughout these parts-- even considering the heavy winds and snow. Furthermore, they do not have to make a Fortitude save every round. We are just waiting on Leena's response...
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-29 at 09:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Leena's initiative modifier is +10 (28 total). Fortitude save is 13+16 (29 total).

Leena: I don't believe we are on safe grounds. We should get out of here.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Death from below

Nobody is currently affected by the wind, though footing is still rough for Christopher and Lena (due to his size and strength, Reli is doing just fine through the snow). Just then, out in the distance (miles away), a screeching bellow can be heard (which is pretty impressive, given the wind). It comes from the north, but, however loud it is, is unable to be identified by anyone at the moment.

All of a sudden, 5 giant centipede-like creatures burst through the ground beneath you, 2 of them are noticeably larger than the rest. The smaller ones are over 20 feet long and quite massive. The larger ones are nearly 50 feet long and almost 10 feet around. They have hideous insect-like faces, with wild frills running down both sides of their bodies. They are whitish-blue, but have a pulse of warm red emanating from the inside of their bodies. They are accompanied by a draft of extreme heat, an almost welcome draft, which is made especially evident as lukewarm water splashes up and around everyone.

The floor beneath everyone starts to give as a result of them breaking through from underneath. This is the current lay-out:

-----------------------------------------
    -------M---------m---------------------
    -----------CM-----XA-----------M------
    ---m------------LR-----BG-------------
    ----------------------m-----------------
    -----------------------------------------
    North --->

M: bigger monsters; m: smaller monsters; CM: Christopher Michael; XA: Xavier Alexis; LR: Leena/Reli; BG: Bear Ghost

Initiative order for the surprise round is:
    Leena (28)
    Xavier (25)
    Christopher (20)
    Big M (19)
    Small M (15)

Bear Ghost will jump in at count 25, right after Xavier (I'm giving him priority due to his higher Dex modifier), during the first full round. I need everyone to make balance checks during their action, as the ground under you starts to lift, tilt, and/or crumble beneath you. Remember you are only allowed a standard action during the surprise round.

Leena, you're up.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 10:14 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

I take a five foot step towards the south and use Manyshot on the closest creature.

20+36-8-4=44 (critical threat, 13+24=37 to confirm)

Damage: 4d8+40+10 (shocking)=66 plus 4 con damage.

If my critical hit is successful add 2d8+20+13(shocking burst).

My balance check is 18+9=27

Reli charges the same creature.

11+2(charging)+25=38.
    Damage: 2d6+21=31

If he hits he can trip as a free action (d20+18=35).
    His balance check is 7+7=14.
    Last edited by Leena; 2013-09-29 at 07:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Death from below

Leena's 5-foot step turns into a backward slide, as she maintains her composure on the icy platform elevating rapidly in front of her. Her volley of arrows strikes true, despite the harsh wind conditions, resulting in 4 well-placed arrows in the belly of the creature, accompanied by an explosion of lightning and electricity. Although severely wounded, the creature still stands.

Reli was lucky as well. He lunges forward, and then upward, as the platform of ice began to rise before him (I'm giving him a +2 bonus to his balance check because he is a quadruped). Fearless, he lunges at the beast, latching onto one of its many arms, his great strength pulling it down, onto its side. It is now prone, flailing and writhing about.

The creatures body, however, gives off tremendous heat. Leena's arrows were instantly consumed in a wisp of fire as they penetrate the creature's carapace. Furthermore, Reli let out a yelp of pain the moment he latched on to it. He suffers 23 points of fire damage as a result.

Xavier, you're up.

Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-30 at 03:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

I attempt to identify these creatures.

My Knowledge Arcana check is 34.

My Balance check is 25.

I await information before I decide on my standard action.
    Last edited by Xavier Alexis; 2013-09-30 at 04:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Remorhaz

The creatures are known as remorhazes. They are apex predators that can be found in most cold climates. Despite their affinity for cold climates, their bodies are capable of emitting massive amounts of heat. Some even say that weapons can be destroyed when striking the creature, melting instantly.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-09-30 at 07:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

Back in the giant camp, a tent explodes, hurled upward into the sky. Startled giants scramble for their weapons, and behold a blackened crater in which stands a surprised, charred gnome. He removes his goggles, exposing two perfect circles of white skin around his eyes. Blinking in momentary puzzlement, he addresses the baffled giants.

"Greetings. It seems that my attempt to surreptitiously teleport to Doom Canyon Ranch Mountain, or whatever it's called, has gone awry. Seeing as my comrades have left several days prior, I shall forego my etymological studies of giant language (my backup project) and attempt to catch up to them forthwith, with no delay."

"Except to retort to your ill-founded contention that we cheated in the duel. Indeed, seeing as you put so much faith in a diety, which has no scientific basis, and the obvious fact that you are, on average, 897% larger than I am, and consequently possessing a much larger brain, it was a gross failure on your part to grasp basic principles of physics which I merely used to my advantage, having an 897% handicap. May I remind you that I defeated one of your giants in hand to hand combat myself. That's an 897% FAILURE on your part. If I had the time, I would be glad to assist you in correcting these deficiencies. But alas, I must catch up with my companions, for though they are blessed with Herculean might, they are sorely lacking in intellectual prowess. Furthermore, I can continue my research on the variations in Draconic Phonemes among the various chromatic breeds. For example... Oh never mind. You wouldn't understand."

(The tent crashes back down nearby.)

"Now I would ask that the strongest among you throw me as far as you can in the direction of Doom Canyon Ranch Mountain... Or whatever direction you smell a stench of body odor and raw meat, (more than your own, which is copious) as that would indicate the location of Bear Ghost, my personal bodyguard.

(Dr Nimm drinks a slow fall elixir and is thrown in the direction of the party. Or drinks a fly elixir and flies there)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Return of Dr. Nimm

Dr. Nimm! Yes. You started trailing Bear Ghost, Xavier, and Leena about half a day behind. You had to rest a day en route, but was otherwise pretty well on track toward the Doomblizzard Peaks.

Upon entering, the valley flight was all but impossible, so you had to take to the ground. A short while in, heading more or less blindly north, you are brought back on track by an eruption of ice, snow, and water way ahead of you. The snow and wind has made vision and even foot travel very difficult up until this point and it doesn't look like it's getting much easier.

Let's continue with the current initiative count. Dr. Nimm can jump in at the top of the second round.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 08:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Xavier Alexis to everyone: Defend yourselves! From what I know about these beasts, they think we are their next meal. Also be warned, your weapons can be destroyed and you can be harmed by the intense heat their bodies are capable of generating.

For my standard action, I cast a maximized Orb of Acid spell on the small Remorhaz to the southwest of me. My ranged touch attack roll is 30 and the spell deals 90 points of damage. Additionally, the creature must succeed at a DC 28 Fortitude save or be sickened for one round due to noxious fumes caused by the orb.

As an immediate action, I also cast Greater Mirror Image. I have 8 duplicates plus myself. Additionally, one duplicate appears each round if there are less than 8 duplicates.

My duplicate images (DI) are scattered near me in this manner:

-----------------(West)---------------------
    -------M--DI-DI--m-DI-----------------------
    (South)-DI-CM--DI-XA-DI-DI-----M------(North)
    ---m------------LR-----BG-DI-----------------
    ----------------------m---------------------
    ------------------(East)----------------------
    Last edited by Xavier Alexis; 2013-10-01 at 05:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Death from below

Xavier successfully identifies the creatures, shouting a brief warning to all within earshot (basically everyone except Dr. Nimm). He is able to stabilize himself on the shifting platform as he casts 2 spells in rapid succession. 8 images spring forth into being around Xavier. After casting the second spell, a green orb appears in his hand, which he flings at the Remorhaz nearest to him.

The orb hits dead on, exploding in a small splash of acid (no splash effect). The noxious fumes can be smelled by Bear Ghost nearby, to no ill effect. Having been struck directly, though, these fumes seem to start affecting the beast. It struggles for just a second, but shakes off any adverse effects, letting off a hideous, squeal-like exhalation as the fumes clear.

As per the rules, Xavier, you need to tell me where the images are in relation to you. They can be around you, in a line, or whatever, so long as each image is within 5 feet of you or another image, with at least one being within 5 feet of you.

Christopher, you're up next.

(I suppose his wings are folded underneath his cloak).
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 04:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Bear Ghost is wearing the Blind Helm so visibility is not an issue with anything that comes near him. However he does not have Freedom of Movement.
    Init roll 18+ 7 = 25 Fort 13 +30 = 43

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Blindhelm

The Blindhelm only grants Blindsense out to 5 feet, but does not otherwise grant any extra sensory powers that would be a problem due to obscured vision. Regardless, the snow and wind only affects ranged attacks (-4) as well as spot, listen, and search checks (-4). Since the Blindsense ability only extends 5 feet, Bear Ghost was still unable to notice the Remorhazes until they were already too close.

I'll take the Fortitude save for now. Bear Ghost, on his turn, won't be hampered by movement. The DC is only 15, so only a roll of a 1 will hamper your movement in subsequent rounds.

I edited the initiative order to include you to go right along with Xavier on the first round, since you both have the same initiative modifier (count 25).

Last edited by DM7581; 2013-10-01 at 06:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

My balance check is (8+3-5) 6.

If I don't do a face plant, I would like to take a 5 foot step towards Leena and cast a Quickened Blade Barrier. It is 120 feet long and it runs from the smaller remorhaz in the South to the smaller remorhaz in the West. The reflex save is 30.

When I evoke the barrier so that it appears where creatures are, each creature takes damage (15d6) as if passing through the wall. Each such creature can avoid the wall (ending up on the side of its choice) and thus take no damage by making a successful Reflex save. I roll 44 for damage.

If I'm still allowed a standard action, in light of Xavier's information, I will cast Fire Shield (Chill Shield). I wreathe myself in green flames so that any creature that strikes me is dealt 1d6+15 damage. I take only half damage from fire-based attacks. If such an attack allows a Reflex save for half damage, I take no damage on a successful save
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2013-10-01 at 05:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Death from below

Unfortunately, as Christopher is trying to cast his spell(s), the ground beneath him proves too unstable. The intense rocking and shaking caused by the creatures eruption from below flings him off to the side, thankfully further away from the biggest creature, right up near Xavier and Leena.

No spell points are expended, as this happened before he get the chance to even start casting. He is prone, however.