New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 80 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Rob's Epic Level Campaign

Bear Ghost says, "We can kill his undead. And if he try's anything after ward, he will see what a huge mistake he has made. Either way he know more of the ice than we do. And we need any advantage we can get against Dragons."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_Ghost View Post
    Bear Ghost says, "We can kill his undead. And if he try's anything after ward, he will see what a huge mistake he has made. Either way he know more of the ice than we do. And we need any advantage we can get against Dragons."
    This is why I like Bear Ghost.

Meanwhile, Assuming I noticed CM callously drinking my elixir that I gave him strictly for emergency use I now nervously glance at his copy wondering where the real CM is while mentally preparing for a very awkward situation with Ingron, simultaneously priding myself on the accuracy with which my elixir has copied CM down to the feather.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2013-12-20 at 01:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xavier Alexis: I agree with Bear Ghost. When it comes to Dragons, the more information the better. I say we leave to hunt these undead immediately.

4. - Top - End - #244

Dr. Nimm has solved all the mysteries of the universe by the time his friends made their next move...

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default My bad

Sorry, but its been crazy with Christmas and lots of family outings, etc. So, without further ado, we resume...

Christopher, as Ingron exits, you find it quite difficult to follow him entirely, as you would have to lift the curtain after he goes into his quarters. With Dr. Nimm noticing you suspiciously and with a little bit of worry, you simply peek around the curtain and are able to see Ingron's quarters and what he is doing.

The room is reminiscent of a feudal master suite or chamber. All furniture pieces, however, are fashioned from either stone, ice or some other natural, hearty material. Similar runes, as those seen throughout the common areas also line high along the walls. There is what appears to be a massive bed, though it has been fashioned to fit the specifics of Ingron's body and seems to be more of a hybrid sleeping-meditating space. Additional art and carvings can be found around the room as well, but nothing of particular value (brought out of the harsh cold environment and they might just evaporate and/or melt).

Ingron reaches into a chest drawer which is located bedside and pulls out a small (for him) book. It seems to be a journal or diary of sorts. He taps it lightly as to shatter the ice and carefully opens it, its pages quite conserved, but still very functional. It peers off in your direction, startling you for a second as you suspect that he may have discovered you, but rather, it seems, he was pausing in thought as he mumbles incoherently to himself and begins scribbling something in the book.

Christopher can still hear what is being discussed, and unless reserved to a whisper, Ingron might as well, though he seems to have the decency to not actively eavesdrop. When it becomes noticeably quite, with sufficient time having elapsed, Ingron finishes his entry, promptly shuts his book, places it neatly into his drawer, and begins to head out.

Well, friends, truly the undead are an enemy to us all... well, those of us that are among the living. Further, I cannot help but have noticed a follower of Pelor amongst your ranks (gesturing toward Christopher). Surely you above all others have no tolerance for such beings.

I take it that everyone has agreed to this mini-quest, so I will skip a few of the pleasantries. By all means, if anyone wishes to add something, please jump in at any time and I can reincorporate whatever you all wish to say and/or do.

**Christmas Special**

Well, it would be rude of me not to appreciate your assistance beforehand, plus it is customary in my culture, he continues as you are all preparing to head out. Ingron begins picking at and removing select nuggets of ice, those previously described to be imbedded on his skin. These are known as "ice runes." We Immoths have the ability to infuse them with a portion of our magical ability. I offer one to each as a gift. Let them serve you in your ventures.

Ice Runes contain any spell that the Immoth wishes to inscribe upon it. They activate as a swift action, but can be used just once. Those of you who were able to detect them before suddenly realize that he does carry quite an arsenal on him. He offers the following spells, which you guys can claim (let's do first come, first serve to promote participation), all at CL 12:

-Freezing Fog (SpC)
    -Shadow Evocation (PHB)
    -Channeled Sound Burst (CM)
    -Wall of Ice (PHB)
    -Shadow Conjuration (PHB)

It is nearing midday as you all leave. Ingron gives you vague directions as to where this undead threat was last headed. The location is off to the west, across the plains that you were originally travelling through and through some hilly forests. I take it that Leena is quite confident in her ability to find tracks despite the poor direction, so you all take your leave.

Nothing much happens for the first 2-3 hours. Leena is at point, scouring for tracks while everyone else is clamoring over their presents (Merry Christmas!) and chit chatting with one another (feel free to be more descriptive along the way).

As you all approach the forest leading into the hills, a low growl can be heard. As Leena is at point, she investigates while everyone else looks onward. You seem to have stumbled upon a small family of polar bears. A few minutes go by as everyone sees Leena approaching cautiously as she amazingly seems to befriend the wild beasts. Reli stays near the group, at her command, to not excite the creatures. They all run off without issue and everyone continues along their way.

In the distance, now that you all have begun exploring the hillside, what looks like a fire can be seen beyond the trees. It is not a long walk from where you at, so I take it that you all start to discuss strategies or ideas on how to push on. The cleared area seems vast, but the distant fog makes it too difficult to discern number or types of creatures that may be there. At this moment, another low growl can be heard, though this one a little different from before.

Leena puts her hand up to shush everyone, with Bear Ghost close by, as she proceeds (everyone following at a safe distance) toward the sound. More polar bears... Leena approaches, with the same caution and mannerisms as before, but something seems different.

Leena, as you approach these bears, within 10 feet of them, you get a close enough look to see that their very skin is completely decayed and discolored with lifeless eyes and slow, sluggish bodies. This bears are definitely not alive. At that moment, you realize just how many there are-- too many to count, swarming the forest before you. This entire forest seems to have been desecrated. As one bear bellows, the others take notice of you as well.

These are slow-moving, polar bear zombies, so there is no surprise round. There are too many to count unless you decide to use your action to do so and they vary in size-- old and young. Leena lead you all into a clearing, with Bear Ghost and Reli a few steps behind and Nimm, Xavier, and Christopher bunched even further away.

I gotta get going to the Dolphins game The Dolphins blew the rest of their pathetic season, so yeah, I'm not in a good mood, so I will post up the battle map next time. Let's get some input from everyone (including anything else you might have wanted to do up throughout my post) and then a single initiative roll (whoever posts first) with everyone using their own initiative modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DM7581; 2013-12-30 at 10:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246

at Ingron's Igloo;

" Ingron, I will take the spell: wall of ice, and perhaps the loan of one of your fascinating books."

at the forest scene

"Ah! Undead polar bears. Now I have truly seen it all! I would have never thought there would be so many polar bears in the area. I wonder who created them and for what purpose? If I were to create undead, I would choose a more useful creature! Amateurs..."

"They do not at first seem to have any scientific value and therefore I am annoyed and inconvenienced by their presence.Though they aren't worth my time, I will dispatch this nuisance quickly so I can get on to doing more interesting things."

(Personally I think it sounds pretty fun)

Just in case, I Take 10 on appropriate knowledge skill to recall or deduce any relevant info on undead polar bears (will be about 42).

Initiative: 20 (modifier +8)

DM: Are you doing ranged Attack penalties/cover because of the trees?

If not, I do haste elixir, 50 foot move directly to the right.

If there's cover/ranged penalty: freedom of movement elixir, then I position myself between the little tree and the big tree just to my left exactly 3 squares left and 2 down.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2014-01-03 at 07:21 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Of course, throughout your semi-lengthy discussion with Ingron, countless topics arose. The one that seemed most interesting at the time happened to be Ingron's origins, the planes, and current abnormalities observed within the realm. At one point during your discussion, he offers a large tome detailing current facts and rumors across the planes, including divine influences.

Regarding the zombies, any creature, up to 10 HD, can be made into a zombie. Polar bears just happen to be common in the region, so it is not as unnatural as one might think.

There is a ranged attack penalty if the creature is beyond 5 feet simply due to the fog that has mysteriously gathered in this area. Here are the general conditions:

Within 5 feet (1 square): no penalty to hit
    Behind a tree: -4 to hit due to cover
    Beyond 5 feet (2 or more squares): 20% miss chance due to fog (concealment)

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post
    Of course, throughout your semi-lengthy discussion with Ingron, countless topics arose. The one that seemed most interesting at the time happened to be Ingron's origins, the planes, and current abnormalities observed within the realm. At one point during your discussion, he offers a large tome detailing current facts and rumors across the planes, including divine influences.

Regarding the zombies, any creature, up to 10 HD, can be made into a zombie. Polar bears just happen to be common in the region, so it is not as unnatural as one might think.

There is a ranged attack penalty if the creature is beyond 5 feet simply due to the fog that has mysteriously gathered in this area. Here are the general conditions:

Within 5 feet (1 square): no penalty to hit
    Behind a tree: -4 to hit due to cover
    Beyond 5 feet (2 or more squares): 20% miss chance due to fog (concealment)
    I didn't say they were unnatural. Dr. Nimm just doesn't approve for some reason (I just make this **** up as I go along).

Nimm is bout to get nasty.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Everyone else?

Okay, guys. The initiative roll was 12, so adjust with your modifier and describe what your characters are doing. Let's get this show on the road!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

Bear Ghost Init Mod +7 ( Forgot I had Imp. Init.) = 19 Bear Ghost is going to Defend Christopher Michael since he knows that he is best equipped to deal with the Undead. Bear Ghost chooses Channeled Sound Blast. A fine rune for a Barbarians Roar!
    Last edited by Bear_Ghost; 2014-01-07 at 12:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Ice Runes

Guys! There are only 3 runes left:

-Freezing Fog
    -Shadow Evocation
    -Shadow Conjuration

Remember that they activate as a swift action at CL 12! Still waiting on Xavier, Christopher, and Leena. Let's go!

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'll take the rune of Freezing Fog.

My initiative mod is +5.

My first instinct is to run to the front with Leena and Bear Ghost while pulling out my Holy Symbol.

"These creatures are an abomination to the natural order. As a champion of light, it is my sacred duty to wipe them out."

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Christ. Michael View Post
    I'll take the rune of Freezing Fog.

"These creatures are an abomination to the natural order. As a champion of light, it is my sacred duty to wipe them out."
    When Dr. Nimm hears this he mutters something to himself.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    When Dr. Nimm hears this he mutters something to himself.
    Christopher Michael notices Dr. Nimm does quite a bit of muttering to himself. Could it be a result of his morning cocktail or some kind of possession? It's something to consider later.

15. - Top - End - #255

Dr. Nimm thinks: Drat! Curse Christopher's exceptional auditory abilities! At least he can't read my mind.. I hope...

Nimm smiles and waves at C.M.
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2014-01-08 at 07:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Mind games

Could it be the Doctor or that which possesses him also has the ability to read my mind, and is aware of my suspicions? Think sunny thoughts. Think only sunny thoughts.

Waves back vigorously with the hand holding my holy symbol.

There. That should show that demon or ghost that I mean business.
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2014-01-08 at 07:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Xavier Alexis: Bear Ghost, my friend, please take my rune as well. I have no need of it.

My initiative is 19.

I cast a quickened Fly spell and levitate about 10 feet above Christopher Michael and Bear Ghost.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Ice Rune

Which one do you take, Shadow Evocation or Shadow Conjuration? Leena gets the left over...

Speaking of which...

Leena?

19. - Top - End - #259

Whichever one is left over. Leena can have her pick.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll take shadow conjuration. Thank you Ingron for the gift.

Init Mod +16 +12= 28

These poor polar bears!! Who would do this, and why?!

I use manyshot, and in elvin I tell Reli to attack and point towards one.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Elvin?

Okay, the current initiative count is as follows:

Leena: 28
    Nimm: 20
    Xavier: 19
    Christopher: 17
    Bear Ghost: 17 (reduced from 19, holding on Christopher's action)
    Big Bears: 13
    Small Bears 7

Remember that although tough, zombies are slow moving. You can also see the lethargy in their movements as they mildly groan and growl, as the fog of their breath dissipates with each utterance.

I'll try to be quicker in getting the initiative count out in future encounters, being that getting some of you to post quickly is more difficult than pulling teeth.

Leena, you said something about manyshot?

Reli quickly reacts, with a sharp snarl, darting in-between Leena and Bear Ghost in reaching the smaller bear across from him. Reli (barely) hits (2+25, 27 vs. AC 14), dealing 31 points of damage (-5 for the zombies damage reduction) to the bear, which does not even wince in pain, despite the vicious bite to the neck. Reli follows up with a jerking motion (4+29, 33) against the bear, which feebly tries to resist (1+14, 15), ultimately being taken down. Reli now stands over it, savagely, ready to follow up with another bite.

Dr. Nimm quickly swigs a mysterious potion and moves, quite rapidly, among some trees, nearly out of site.

Xavier quickly casts a spell and starts to hover about 10 feet overhead (leaving the rest of his companions to meet an untimely demise?). Did you want to follow up with another spell? Keep in mind the limited visibility (True Seeing doesn't see through natural concealment).

Bear Ghost stands at the ready as Christopher hustles forward, presenting his holy symbol.

Please complete/follow-up with your actions, specifically:
    -Leena: Manyshot attack roll and damage (including who you are targeting)
    -Christopher: Turn Undead?
    -Bear Ghost: ??

If anyone wants to modify their actions, feel free to do so before the monsters act.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Death to the undead!

Quicken Greater Turn Undead Check: (21-4+6) 23. Allows me to affect creatures up to 24 HD.

I would choose to destroy instead of turning. Turning dmg is (43-4) 39. I would affect the larger polar bears first then the smaller ones.

Greater Turn Undead Check: (19+6) 25. Affects creatures up to 24 HD. 2nd turning damage is 42.

I did not use my ECL for determining HD of undead affected, but my base level. Gotcha.

I'll cast Sunbeam at CL 15, and caress these dark creatures with Pelor's love.

I'll aim for the next closest large bear that's next to the large tree. At 15d6/beam (reflex for half), the damage is 53.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope I did the math right
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2014-01-15 at 07:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Turning Undead

Well, you can only use Turn Undead 1/round, even when using Quicken Turning:

http://dndtools.eu/feats/faiths-pant...turning--2341/

Also, I have your Turn Undead description as follows:
    -Turn Undead 17/day (1d20+14; [3d6+32]x1.5); Turn as if 6 levels higher

I think you missed a bonus to the check (you added +6 instead of +14) and forgot to multiply by 1.5. These are all perks of the feats and class features you have.

If I take your new result, the check would be 31 (at Level 26), meaning you can affect undead with up to 30 HD (pretty insane) with turning damage being 58. How's my math?

As part of your move, you are able to fly (60') a square ahead, diagonal to Bear Ghost, about 2 squares from Leena. You present your symbol with (un)godly (pun intended) speed and shout out in celestial (be gone foul beings, or the like). If my calculations are correct, 2 larger bears (the one directly above and to the left) and the one smaller bear (the one in-between) which was taken down by Reli are the closest and all "evaporate," crumbling to nothing but dust. If my math is off, you only affect one larger bear, either the one directly above or across from you, as well as the smaller one, but I think my math is good.

Would you like to do something else as your standard action? You moved up near Bear Ghost, so that restricts you from using a full-round action. You can still cast a spell, use a spell-like ability, or whatever.
    Last edited by DM7581; 2014-01-15 at 05:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Nice

The blast of light temporarily lifts the mist all around you. As far as your vision will allow anyone to see, there seems to be countless other undead beast (bears, and now wolves) far off in the direction that you are traveling. As quickly as the flash dissipates, the fog also reforms.

The bear is struck dead-on, groaning in what seems to be pain. It shakes its head, its eyes closed shut, as if blinded as well.

Still waiting on Leena's hit and damage roll. Bear Ghost?

25. - Top - End - #265

I cast 2 Quickened Fireballs and 1 Maximized Fireball for my standard action. I focus my firepower where I see the biggest concentration of zombies while ensuring my allies are not in the blast zones. If possible, I also attack the same area until most of the creatures are killed before sending a Fireball into a fresh group.

The damage for the Quickened Fireballs are 37 and 36, respectively.

The Maximized Fireball inflicts 60 damage.

The save DC on all Fireballs is 27.

26. - Top - End - #266

In the mind of Dr. Nimm;

Gah... At this rate there won't be any left for me! At least save me the ashes, I want to study the effect of Christoper's sun beam. I can also use the ashes to extract phosphorus, or plant fertilizer.

Speaking of fertilizer, I wonder... Do zombies defecate? Do they even have something of a metabolism? I should study the corpses...

Yells: "Do try and not chop them up too badly, I need to study them!"
    Last edited by Dr_Nimm; 2014-01-16 at 02:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Leena's Manyshot

Regardless of her roll, Christopher destroyed the one she would have targeted (the closest larger one), so we will skip the rolls and assume that she nailed it, but left it alive, only for the turn attempt to finish the job.

Xavier's fireballs detonate all at a prime location, catching six bears in its blast. Unfortunately, the forest, with its dried, rotted trees is also affected and catches ablaze (Leena and Bear Ghost may disagree with this move). On the flip side, the lighting negates any concealment or vision hindrances anyone may have been experiencing, as the blasts' pressure clears the air.

All of the bears seemingly fail their save throws, the smaller ones collapsing in fire on the second blast, with the larger ones partially ablaze, but still standing even after the third.

I used purple on the map to specify magic (Xavier is circled, as he is flying).

Amidst the chaos, some large, white wolves can be seen off in the distance, visible only through the extra lighting granted by the burning forest. Anyone with ranks in Nature can identify these as unnatural wolves, but if you have ranks in Arcana, you identify them as winter wolves, vile, intelligent beasts that often pair with frost giants or other evil masters, serving as scouts, hunters, and trackers. A pack of about 5 can be barely seen fleeing, off into the same direction you are heading.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by DM7581; 2014-01-17 at 11:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268

Default Re: Leena's Manyshot

Quote Originally Posted by DM7581 View Post

Amidst the chaos, some large, white wolves can be seen off in the distance, visible only through the extra lighting granted by the burning forest. Anyone with ranks in Nature can identify these as unnatural wolves, but if you have ranks in Arcana, you identify them as winter wolves, vile, intelligent beasts that often pair with frost giants or other evil masters, serving as scouts, hunters, and trackers. A pack of about 5 can be barely seen fleeing, off into the same direction you are heading.

Spoiler
    Show

Intelligent!? Pfff. I doubt winter wolves can even perform a basic calculation such as the resistance between the ethereal and material plane on our current coordinates!

They know a few more tricks than a common lapdog and people suddenly consider them intelligent! Then again humanity is so stupid no wonder they'd consider a winter wolf intelligent! Idiots!

Bah.. I wish Ingron were here. This boredom is lethal!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Intelligence is relative

They can speak common and giant. Pretty handy for scouting minions.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Cleanup duty

"Their masters will soon be alerted to our presence, but I feel it is my duty to remain here and clear the forest of this blight. In doing so, we will be able to keep our word to Ingron. Is anyone able to pursue them?"
    Last edited by Christ. Michael; 2014-01-18 at 12:15 PM.