New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: "City of Light" (Solo Vampire: DA)

Spoiler
    Show

We're going to go with just trying to see if he's acting guilty.
    Perception + Subterfuge (7d10)[8][8][2][9][9][3][8](47)

And for the amphora, I am going to use Auspex (The Spirits' Touch)
    (4d10)[4][5][5][4](18)
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You fix your discerning gaze upon the older gondolier from the shadowy confines of your cabin, searching for discrepancies, oddities, or other warning signs that not all is that it seems.
    Spoiler
    Show
    WIth 5 successes on this roll, plus Acute Vision, think Sherlock Holmes' level of perception. Truly, the things you notice with this roll are absurd.

Bentiro seems utterly calm, neither excited nor determined nor afraid. He hums a quiet wordless tune as he rows, and between strokes often looks up at the stars with a smile. He is spry for his age, with none of the obvious maladies that afflict the aged, and many of younger age. His skin is firm and smooth, with hands that, though callused, are supple and strong. His gaze is quick and merry, belying more intelligence than you would assume for your average gondolier, but not alarmingly so. His speech and diction mark him as an educated man, if not a scholar. His clothing is quite workaday, as may be expected, but is in excellent repair. His gondola is well worn, but notably well cared for. Cleaner than most, to be sure, with a slightly more elaborate cabin than is the norm, but not as grand as some. You can tell that his boat is excellently balanced, because though both you and Melitene are both sitting on the same side of the boat, it does not list at all, nor do you see any evidence of rot, warp, leakage or mold.

Bentiro's purse jingles softly when he moves, with the sound of numerous coins, though most of them sound like the tiny quartorolo, though you can hear the distinctive sound of a few denarius and grossi as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    For simplicity, I am using as Venetian coinage: The silver Grosso (plural grossi, also can be called a ducat), which is worth 26 silver Denari. One denarii is worth 4 Quartorolo.
    Hardly bulging, but the purse of a comfortable man. Not unreasonable for a successful and smart gondolier, especially one that catered to the wealthy as Bentiro did. He is unarmed save for a workmans knife sheathed in a simple but well made sheath at his side. There are two plain but polished cudgels hanging almost decoratively to either side of the cabin's open-air entrance.

Bentiro's respiration is normal, his eyes calm, no physical tics or other manifestations of guilt or anxiety. In short, nothing about this man seems threatening in the least, and he is going about his duties with the confidence and ease of a man just doing his job. Your senses are very clear. If anything sinister is in store for you, Bentiro knows nothing of it.

For The Spirit's Touch, you need to roll Perception + Empathy. The difficulty depends on how important the object was to the previous owner(s), the more precious, the easier it is to get an impression for it. Go ahead and reroll the whole thing, as I think you rolled your Auspex rating.
    Last edited by pife; 2013-12-23 at 01:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93

Spoiler
    Show

That I did.
    Rolling again:
    Perception + Empathy (5d10)[1][7][9][9][10](36)
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Alonzo settles back from his scrutiny of Bentiro to consider the odd little amphoriskoi. Bentiro and his son are busily rowing, Melitene mumbling happily in her sleep. You reach out and lightly touch the jar, and focus your mind, absorbing into yourself the residual sensations carried by even the most mundane objects.

In your minds eye, you see a table, well appointed, but not with food. Dozens of old bottles, jars, jugs, and other containers litter it profusely, all dust covered. You have the sensation of several people around you, but cannot see their faces or make out their identities. Pleasant music, hundreds of years old is playing softly in the background. Ornate glasses sit in various degrees of filled, their contents familiar to you as vitae, and likely very, very old vitae, given it's color and consistency.

Almost simultaneous with the table, you see a wrist and hand, chained with massive links to a thick table. A knife comes into view, and slices vertically up the forearm, opening up a small cut. The gash begins to heal immediately, but a thin metal tube is inserted into the wound as it closes. The tube is apparently hollow, as vitae immediately begins flowing thickly out, first in drops, then in a thin but steady stream. You hear cursing in a language you do not recognize, and the wrist thrashes, the hand clenching impotently. The blood falls smoothly into a small amphoriskoi, is filled to the brim, and the tube is smoothly yanked from the wrist, ending the flow. You hear a sucking sound, and lips smacking, and then the lid is placed on the amphoriskoi, to be followed by a wax seal, woven throughout with silver thread.

The scene shifts to the dock where you boarded this gondola. The person holding the amphoriskoi is definitely female, is wearing all black so as to cover all of her skin, and speaks in a rasping voice. Her mental state is calm, but slightly bitter. She is.. disappointed about something concerning the release of this container. It is only too easy to recognize Lisabetta's phlegmy growl as she entreats Bentiro to place this on the table in the cabin, and ensure that Alonzo de Catalano boards with his companion. You hear her tell him the alternate route to take, and the instructions to pass on concerning Melitene and the priest.

There is nothing more at this time.

5. - Top - End - #95

Realizing that it was Lisabetta that had both placed the vitae here, as well as paid the innocent gondolier to take him to Santa Maria dei Frari, set Alonzo immediately on edge. This was likely some elaborate plan by the insufferable cow to exact vengeance upon him for spurning her so publicly - How drab, he thought to himself. Still... he would have to tread carefully ahead, for there was no telling what the nature of this trap could be. Unfortunately, he was going to have to let it play out. Although he remained visibly relaxed from the outside, he kept his senses busy - eyes peering out into the darkness from where he could see, ears attuning to anything that sounded out of place for this time of the night.

If Lisabetta had sent people for him, they would not survive to see the rise of the next moon.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You are on alert now, watching through the rising fog as Bentiro expertly guides the craft far to one side of the canal as another gondola approaches from directly ahead. You are nearly to the Grand Canal. You will not cross it, but rather head South for a few minutes, then turn back to the North, up a small artery, and you know that the Santa Maria dei Frari is only about a minute from that watery intersection.

The other gondola glides toward yours, the sounds of laughter rising from it's cabin. Two men, perhaps three, with the lilt of the Britain on their tongues happily slurring the words of a song as the boats pass each other with less than a foot between hulls.

"- Company with honesty,
    is virtue vices to flee.
    Company is good and ill
    but every man has his free will.
    the best ensue
    the worst eschew
    my mind shall be.
    virtue to use
    vice to refuse
    thus shall I use me.

This appears to be the last or only verse, as they stop their rough harmonizing and chuckle loudly. Aye, Finn.. one of them jibes, yer like to a bullfrog wi' those pipes o' youren all rusty. 'Ave another pull, eh, and shut it 'fore we wake the bawdies! Another voice, this one the deepest-voiced of the singers chuckles, and you can hear noisy slurping from within the cabin as the gondolas clear each other's sterns. Their voices recede quickly in the fog, leaving your ears with only the gentle lapping of the current caressing the hull, turning to gentle slaps as Bentiro navigates into and down the Grand Canal.

Melitene murmurs in her sleep whimpering faintly and shivering, then mumbles 'va bene, Papa'
    You feel Bentiro steer the gondola back off of the Grand Canal, and you know that your ride is nearly at an end. It will be only a moment, Signore, Bentiro politely shares. It seems you were expected, there is a man at the landing, waiting for you.

True enough, as you look toward the approaching dock, a small man in the modest robes of a monk stands bare-headed in the mist, holding a lantern to light the gondola's approach. In his other hand, he holds the end of a moderately thick hempen rope, which he tosses to Bentiro's nimble son, who ties the boat off almost before it can come to rest with a wooden bump against the small dock.

The small man ambles forward, his shuffle likely impeded by gout or the like. He is slender to the point of gauntness, but his tonsured head crowns a face split wide with friendly compassion. My son, he murmurs gently, if you could be kind enough to carry her to the rectory for me, I have the directions you seek. He stoops slightly to peer into the cabin toward Melitene. Ah, lei e' bella!. He looks to you openly and without guile. Verrai?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Verrai =Will you come?

7. - Top - End - #97

Alonzo paid the gondola full of Britons as little attention as he could; tonight, at least, they were of no concern of his. If this had all been, in fact, arranged by Lisabetta Lombardi because of a simple slighting remark he had made at the party... she was truly well-connected to have been able to act so quickly. He eyed the amphora of vitae once again, allowing all of the pieces tumble about in an unoccupied corner of his mind.

As the gondola turned off of the Grand Canal, Alonzo too saw the lantern-bearer awaiting their arrival. When Bentiro noted that they were expected, the assassin muttered a, "Indeed. How surprising.", beneath his breath. Seeing a man of the cloth, he stowed away his dagger and gingerly picked up Melitene to cradle her in his arms once more. He then bade for the son of Bentiro, "Boy, pick up the vino, there, and hook it upon my extended finger."

When the boy picked up the amphora, there was a denari stashed away beneath it, Alonzo having put it there earlier. When the boy looked up at him, Alonzo merely winked and held out the index finer of his right hand, near Melitene's knees. He calls out a "Grazie.". Once he had the vitae, he stepped out of the gondola and faced the man with the lantern.

And then, quietly enough that the two boatmen could not hear, he told the lantern-bearer, "I know not what Lisabetta has put you up to or what is in store for me and this girl, but I give you my word... if you harm have part in bringing harm to her... you will rue this night. Am I absolutely clear?"
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2014-01-07 at 06:38 PM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The pleasant smile freezes, and is replaced by concerned alarm. Ha.. Harm? the old man seems not to know the taste of the word, so awkwardly it falls from his lips. Child, he begins, reaching his now rope-free hand into his robes and withdrawing a string of paternosters that he now begins to unconsciously rub. His bushy eyebrows are scrunched together in consternation as he regards you. have faith in the goodness of men. I seek to harm none, but only give respite and relief to those who ask. I was told only that a weary and ill girl would be brought to the rectory by gondola this evening, and that I was to lead her benefactor.. you.. to the bell tower. This is all I know.

His hand reaches out for your arm, as if to pat it or hold it. Please, if you would to follow me to the rectory to put this child abed. The fire has been stoked, and several sisters await to see her out of these damp clothes. You will see that nothing is amiss, my son.

9. - Top - End - #99

"There was no accusation plied to my words, priest; merely a warning. Heed it and no harm will come to you by my hands.", Alonzo made to follow the man, still carrying Melitene and trying to keep a vigilant eye open to whatever the night may hold.

"I have seen too much of the 'goodness' of men to place much faith in it at all. Who bade you to fulfill this task? A name could go a long way towards giving me this faith that you wish for me to undertake."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

But of course, the old monk agrees placidly. News of your coming was brought to me by a messenger in the employ of Belladonna del Oso, the lady wife of Fabrizio del Oso. Signore del Oso is a minor functionary of the Doge, and a devout man. Do you know him?

The old priest steals glances at you as you walk, and at Melitene. He guides you up a winding finely polished plank path through what is likely to be a lovely and flowery courtyard during sunlit hours, the frothy sounds of a large fountain arising from behind a hedge that nears eight feet in height off to your right. He passes a small intersection heading that way, continuing on to the rectory, a handsome stone house set beside and behind the church proper. Smoke wafts smoothly from the chimney, giving the cooling night air a pleasant aroma.

Father Benassi scurries ahead to open the door for you, and the smell of fresh baked bread mingles with the woodsmoke. Before you enter, you note that the fog is beginning to thin, and the breeze is picking up. You estimate that you have just over 90 minutes before daybreak.

The inside of the home is fairly spartan, with simple, well made furniture and few decorations, though crosses seem to dominate those that you see. A plump elderly woman in the garb of a nun hustles to your side as you enter, clucking mildly to herself as she lays the back of her hand atop Melitene's brow even before you stop walking. Father Benassi indicates that you should lay Melitene down on a small bed near the fireplace. As you turn to face it, the round nun has placed fingers the size of sausages to your forehead as well. At least this one, he has no fever, she mumbles to Benassi, but the girl.. Put her down, boy.. Down! Her voice is sharp and strong, and she doesn't raise her voice, yet it echoes with command. This woman is obviously used to getting her way, and she glares up at you and begins to tap her foot

Will you take bread and cheese with me, my son, the priest asks. It is poor fare for a man of your means, I am sure, but you are welcome to break your fast with me. Your lady will be safe with Sister Mary-Clarence until you return. Or would you prefer if I take you to the bell tower at once?

11. - Top - End - #101

"I am afraid that I have not had the pleasure.", Alonzo responds to the question about Signore del Oso - the name rang a bell, but he could not put a face to the name. But it was of little concern.

Alonzo places Melitene where he was asked and steps back from the nuns, to allow them to do their work. He knew that there was little point... the vitae in her would aid her healing far more than anything these mortal fools could do. But, he took the time (and the distraction) to probe each of their minds in order to see if either of them seemed to have foul intent towards himself or the girl.

As the priest continued on, trying to lead him away, Alonzo asked, "What is in this bell tower that you speak of? I do not have much time before I must be on my way, I am afraid."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure if I roll for each individual or not, but I will just in case...
    Priest - Perception + Subterfuge (7d10)[3][9][1][8][10][7][4](42)
    Nun - Perception + Subterfuge (7d10)[1][9][10][8][2][6][8](44)
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Your perception normally allows for rerolling 10's, but your rolls are more than sufficient for this purpose. Also, if you have more dots (in this case, 7) than the difficulty would be for the roll (in this case, 6), it's my discretion as to whether you need to roll at all. Alonzo is a master at this sort of thing. So, I will take the rolls into consideration, and you can be fairly certain of your results in this case.

You lay Melitene down, and she shudders once, crying out a bleary Why, Signora? before falling still and silent once more. Her heart rate is obviously elevated, her breathing a bit more shallow than would be the norm, but you attribute that to the potency of your blood counteracting the fatigue and weariness of her near-death experience.

Benassi himself seems to be perplexed, though you see no signs of any sinister intent. He continues to thumb through his paternosters, his lips moving as he rapidly prays in silent.. Latin, you believe, which isn't strange. He doesn't appear to be expectant, nor is he jumpy, and he doesn't shy away from looking at you or show any overt signs of secretive intent.

Benassi answers you even while you turn your attention to the nun. Ah, nothing is "in" it, Signore, save the bell. But the messenger told me that you should be in the tower, and paying attention to the canal behind the church an hour before sunrise. The time nears, Signore. Del Oso, he is such a fine contributor to the church and it's charities, I don't often have need to fear his eccentricities. I know not what you are meant to see, but.. I do not ask questions, Signore. He gestures toward another door, this one likely leading into the church proper. I will show you the way, if you are ready.

The round old nun is even less challenging to read. She appears to have completely forgotten that you exist, and is focused on her task. In short order, she has checked the strength of Melitene's pulse, felt for her temperature once more, listened to the rise and fall of her chest, opened her mouth and examined her tongue, peeled open one eye to check her pupils, etc. In short, she seems to be competently ascertaining the basic health of her patient. Her motions are quick and decisive, and her high-pitched voice is comforting (you imagine this woman has a superb singing voice) and melodic as she mumbles quietly half to herself, half to the sleeping Melitene. All will be well, child, I will set you right.. How does your heart sound.. oh, fast as a rabbit is it.. Well, we shall settle that with an herb tea, won't we. Such a lovely thing.. Hmm, skin under her.. The old woman straightens sharply and peers at you intently, brows furrowed and eyes sharp and disapproving... Has this child been in a fight, Signore? You can see her gaze go from your face and neck to your hands. Was she set upon?

13. - Top - End - #103

"I am uncertain exactly what happened, but I believe that she was bitten by a snake... here.", he stepped forward to indicate the bite marks upon her neck. It wasn't entirely untrue; Jacopo was quite the snake, when he wished to be. And he certainly was for what he had done to this poor girl.

"I discovered her as I was leaving a party."

Placated about Melitene's safety and intrigued about what it was that he was supposed to witness from this bell tower, Alonzo gave in to the whims of the priest.

"Very well.", he said as he made to follow the man. This... could get interesting... Alonzo thought to himself.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    More to come, which will be edited into this post, but under normal circumstances, if a vampire licks a bite wound after he is done feeding, it closes without a trace. This is one of the ways that the vampires stay hidden, no corpses with obvious fang wounds. We'll say in this case that he was lazy after he fed, (and I believe I had mentioned that the wound was larger than normal due to his carelessness), and that some small wounds remain, which would lend credence to your observation and be believable as a snakebite. A BIG snake, given the distance between the marks, but not impossible.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The old nun frowns dubiously, but doesn't challenge your statement, instead turning back to continue her care of Melitene.

Father Benassi leads the way out the side door, which opens to a small storage room, which has another door directly opposite it. He still holds the battered lantern to light your way, and you can see to either side of you a modest number of casks, likely oil and sacramental wine, as well as stacks of crates labeled "Candela". There is also an untidy mishmash of decorations, rusty candelabra and other implements which are all reasonable accoutrements of a church. The heavy oak door opens without a sound, and you find yourself in the nave of the church, furthest from the altar. The church proper is dim, but lit with candles, sporadically near the rear of the church, but the altar is nearly ablaze with them.

The multitude of tiny fires dance hungrily, almost ominously, and you have to close your eyes for just a moment to calm yourself. You are old enough, calm enough in yourself to recognize these as no threat to you, yet, all the same, you dislike being so.. surrounded by them. Luckily, Benassi is spry for his age, leather shoes creaking softly as he traverses both sets of pews, and leads you down the far wall. Near the front of the church, another, smaller door is opened quickly, and the old priest steps outside, and waits for you to exit before closing the door behind him. You are outside again, the breeze brisk, and the last remnants of fog are dissipating even as you watch.

A covered walkway runs parallel to the church walls, and you go less than fifty feet before he once stops at a small open archway to your left. The wan light of his lantern illuminate an old but sturdy staircase, winding it's way up and to the right around the room, while a pair of heavy ropes dangle, swaying gently in the breeze.

The messenger, he says for you to ascend to the top of the stair, and look down on the canal to the northeast. He did not say why, the priest chuckles nervously. Perhaps he, too, recognizes the strangeness of these instructions, but he still looks perplexed rather than alarmed or alert. If it's all the same to you, he adds, I will return to Sister Agnes to see if I can be of any assistance to your lady-friend. You should take the lantern, he offers, holding it out to you, the stairs, they are quite dark. Looking up, the bell-tower is quite tall, easily 100 feet high, significantly taller than the church itself, it's stout stone walls covered arbitrarily in moss and lichen. Not much further ahead, is another garden, though this one is more of the vegetable variety than the plants and paths and hedges of the one near the church entrance.

Your knowledge of the area tells you that there is a narrow, winding street on the opposite side of the church, with a small plaza overlooking the canal, with another small landing for boats. Several street vendors frequent it,selling knickknacks and other sundries, and several warehouses occupy the far side of the street, surrounded by old tenements which are placed haphazardly anywhere they could be thrown up.
    Last edited by pife; 2014-01-12 at 05:06 PM.