Barbarian in the Playground

Default ONE squad of axemen?

1) Divine gem.
    2) Absolutely huge.
    3) 'Oooh' reaction from Morbit.

1) Gems are less rare in Erfworld?
    2) Large squad of axemen.
    3) Discovery made a long time ago?
    4) Hard to convert so much jewlery into hard cash ----> military might.

But even so, one squad of axemen for such a large ruby? I just got out of Medieval Total War II and it just doesn't seem right. I could make people go die for me at a much cheaper rate then that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: ONE squad of axemen?

I think it's meant to disenchant the reader. Normally it'd be a fantastic find, perhaps never even sold if it's a relic of the old days of creation. But, of course, greed, corrruption and war gets in the way and the godly gem is merely pawned as quick as it can be and some more warriors hired for the war.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm gonna say it's likely the proceeds of the gem went to many other projects in addition to the axemen. You know—roads, schools, tax cuts, the marbit ruler's new bathtub, and so forth. When it came time for militrary expenditures, the chunk from the diamond went to a unit of archers, two units of cavalry, and—hey! Look at that! Just enough for one more squad of axemen.

And it's the axemen that saved the day. So we're really only concerned with that particular expenditure. The rest don't really matter so much, so they don't get any special mention.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

It's quite possible that we haven't heard the last of what exactly the gem has bought, I have a feeling it isn't the last we've seen of that gem, and what role it still has yet to play in the Grand Scheme of Things(tm).
    Alynn the Yellow Eyed

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

it reminded me of star craft?

One extra Gem means one extra squad of Axe men, or other appropiate rush unit, it can screw up your star craft game. the whole thing i get this creepy feeling that the RTS gmes i've played have been manned with little tiny people and i wonder what kind of gawd that makes me

but just a silly thought
    On the first day of Dnd my dm gave to me
    http://filbolg.wordpress.com/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Note the comic...
    It may say one "squad" of axemen, but that "squad" looks more like a small army, if one assumes the group of marbit axemen on the right flank to be the squad mentioned. The way that one marbit chops the spidew, it looks like marbits don't spare quality in training either.

Even so, if that's all that the gem did, it's more of a macguffin than the Arkenhammer is.

Logos:
    One should hope. Ender!
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Well, you didn't catch the other take on this.

The gem did fall off of one of the "Elvis"-Gods (is that like Elder Gods or is that too much of a reach) capes. How much do you really think a rhinestone, even an enormous divine rhinestone, is worth?
    "I was working on a case. It had to be a case, because I couldn't afford a desk. Then I saw her. This tall blond lady. She must have been tall because I was on the third floor. She rolled her deep blue eyes towards me. I picked them up and rolled them back. We kissed. She screamed. I took the cigarette from my mouth and kissed her again."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's a cool rhinestone.
    da King's rhinestone

Yeah, I'm going with the 'large squad, well trained', 'other projects' and 'pawned off really fast'.

RTS games... gawd?
    Awww... now I feel sorta guilty, but I was a good leader. .. most .. of the time. Who am I kidding.