New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DoTA 2 One: Not to be confused with DoTA 1 Two

Any advice for a newby?
    I've played LoL before, so I understand most of the terms... But I figure it couldn't hurt to find out what(if any) major differences there are between the two, gameplay-wise.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can't spam spells nearly as easily in lane as in league, mana is at a much higher premium.

Denying allows you to freeze a lane in one spot indefinitely if you're skilled enough.

The jungle camps can be 'stacked' and 'blocked'. They respawn at 0:30 and x:00 if there's nothing in a certain area around it. If you can pull all the creeps out of the area by drawing aggro and moving away, you can cause another camp to spawn there, and use aoe abilities to take the camp down faster. Conversely, if you stand (or place a ward) in the area, no camp will spawn there at those times.

Trees are destructible.

There are no summoner spells/masteries/runes.

Randoming gives you bonus gold.

Towers work quite differently than in league. They have a much longer range, but deal much less damage (still dangerous though). The aggro works differently, towers have a list of priorities for what they attack. First it checks for enemy units attacking an ally hero, then enemy units attacking itself, then enemy unit attacking allied units, then it goes by distance, closest unit (so if you're closer to the tower than a creep, you start getting attacked), closest hero, then closest catapult. You can prevent yourself from drawing tower aggro by being farther away from the tower than any creep, not attacking the tower when it changes targets, and a-clicking on an allied unit.

There's a lot of other little things, but those are the major ones.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Offsite guide to DotA for LoL players. Warning: long
    Last edited by Bucky; 2013-12-30 at 12:15 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

The important thing to remember, is that you suck. Seriously, you are like the worst thing that -ever- happened to the game. Blind, deaf, starving monkeys stuck in a barrel in Taiwan play better then you.
    So, no matter what the community says, its an improvement.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

I started messing around on it a couple weeks ago.

The most trouble I've had with it is the shops. The itemization is weird. I will say one of your first purchases should be a courier.

You WILL feed to begin with. The power difference between champs in LoL and Dota is... ugh.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post

The most trouble I've had with it is the shops. The itemization is weird. I will say one of your first purchases should be a courier.

You WILL feed to begin with. The power difference between champs in LoL and Dota is... ugh.
    Do you understand why a courier is a good purchase?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post

Especially if you play a support

(though, couriers are shared by the team, so you only need to get one if no one else has already)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a game recently where one of my opponents left the game and their character became invincible and stood inside our base hitting creeps as they spawned and heroes when available. Does anyone know what happened and what I can do about it?

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do you have the replay ID of that game? If you post that we can see what happened. Sounds like a bug though, try reporting it.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Any advice for a newby?
    I've played LoL before, so I understand most of the terms... But I figure it couldn't hurt to find out what(if any) major differences there are between the two, gameplay-wise.
    Besides what Litewarrior mentioned ...

- The lanes are set up differently than in League -- Radiant's lanes are generally similar to Blue's (ADC + Support(s) bot, strong midgame hero mid, offlaner(s) top), but Dire is flipped north/south compared to Purple (i.e. ADC/Support top, offlane bot).
    - Junglers are much less common in DotA. A second support is usually preferred.
    - No GP5 items.
    - AP is not a thing that exists. Most abilities scale only according to their own level.
    - Besides the main shop in the base, there are four additional shops with different item availability scattered roughly along the river. The two "side shops" on the outside edges of the map focus on items useful for the laning phase, while the "secret shops" closer to mid carry components for late-game items that are unavailable in the base.
    - You can open the shop interface while in-lane (but outside one of the four side/secret shops) and buy items. They will be held for you at the base until you go back to pick them up ... or have the courier deliver them to you.
    - DotA's tooltips are much less explicit about what skills, items, or buffs will or will not stack with each other. Generally, you're limited to one pair of boots, one +MR item, one "Unique Attack Modifier," and one copy of each buff that creates icons above your health meter.
    - There's a lot more CC available. For example, Shadow Shaman + Naga Siren + one Scythe of Vyse + perfect timing can lock down a lone opponent almost completely for upwards of a full minute. Meepo can immobilize a target permanently ... or at least until one of his clones runs out of mana.
    - Unlike LoL's "pets," most summoned units in DotA are fully controllable. One (Lone Druid's bear) even has item slots of its own!
    - No buffs available from killing jungle creeps. (But see next point)
    - Every two minutes, a rune spawns at one end of the river or the other. It grants one of several temporary buffs -- Invisibility, double AD, massive amounts of regen, max movespeed, or two illusionary copies of your hero.
    - No recall function. (But see next point)
    - While there are no summoner spells, many items have similar effects:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Town Portal Scroll: Consumable; use for a building-target-only Summoner Teleport.
    - Boots of Travel: Full-power Summoner Teleport on a 65-second cooldown.
    - Blink Dagger: 1200-range Flash on a 14-second cooldown.
    - Diffusal Blade: Apply the active to an enemy for an Exhaust, or to an ally for Cleanse. 8 second cooldown, but can only be used 8 times (plus another 8 after upgrading to Diffusal 2).
    - Arcane Boots: Summoner Clarity-like effect (flat +135 MP), 55-second cooldown.
    - Mekansm: Summoner Heal-like effect (flat +250 HP and an armor bonus), 45-second cooldown.
    - Phase Boots: 4-second Ghost, 8-second cooldown.
    - Dagon: Silly-expensive item that grants a hero-targetable Smite on a short cooldown. (The more gold you invest in the Dagon, the higher the damage and lower the CD.)
    - Pipe of Insight: AoE 400-HP Barrier with longer duration, but only blocks magic. 60-second cooldown.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone else furious that they stayed up to watch DK vs iG in a best of seven series and they randomly took a three hour lunch break at like midnight (afternoon in China). Then after they came back, DK started winning and they ended up playing all seven matches. Ugh...
    I play 3.5 DnD, WoW TCG, Warlord CCG, and DOTA 2.
    Phantom Lancer Ava by Sgt. Cookie!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

How do you rebind keys, and have the camera follow your controlled unit?The rebinding keys thing is less of an issue than the camera, since it's more a matter of convenience, but the camera issues are keeping me from being able to do the tutorial...
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-01-02 at 12:22 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

Key rebinds are in the configuration menu -- click the "gear" icon in the top-left corner when outside of a match.

I think the hero chase-cam toggle is to double-click your portrait (between the map and your skill icons). It's a little aggressive about keeping your hero perfectly in the center of the frame, though -- the way it constantly readjusts itself while laning makes me seasick, and it makes it so you can't check what's happening in another part of the map. I much prefer enabling Cursor Edge Panning so I can use the mouse to quickly adjust my view (also in the config menu) and double-tapping 1 or F1 to recenter on my hero as needed.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

I personally use the mouse-screen-edge pan with space selecting my hero (so I can double-tap space to refocus).

Also, if someone wants to play with me, I'm Penguinizer on steam. Feel free to poke me here, on steam or Djinn In Tonic's mumble server.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lunix Vandal View Post
    I think the hero chase-cam toggle is to double-click your portrait (between the map and your skill icons)... I much prefer enabling Cursor Edge Panning so I can use the mouse to quickly adjust my view (also in the config menu) and double-tapping 1 or F1 to recenter on my hero as needed.

Double tap and hold your hero control group key (1?) for the same effect.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll probably go with the auto following camera option, since that's what I'm used to in these sorts of games.
    With regards to hero selection, are there any to avoid/specifically aim for as a newbie? And, for anyone here who also plays LoL, are there are heroes that play a bit like Veigar? =3
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-01-02 at 11:31 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

You should definitely play Invoker, Rubick, or Meepo. No, they don't require dozens of hours of practice, that's a slander, and your team will love you for the pick. Forever.

On the other hand, there are such diffucult heroes as Drow, Riki or Luna, that can be operated by even drunkest and most finger-less lumberjack, due to them only having two skills each. Sadly, they're not recommended either, as they're carries, very fragile one at that, if you don't know what you're doing.

Hmm, I don't know, I'd try someone like Vengeful Spirit or Bounty Hunter? They can be played both as semi-carry and semi-support, have escapes, and both have good ranged options and can greatly help team even if all you do is to throw swap or bounty from time to time.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I'll probably go with the auto following camera option, since that's what I'm used to in these sorts of games.
    With regards to hero selection, are there any to avoid/specifically aim for as a newbie?
    Avoid Meepo and Invoker like the plague. Seriously.

Personally I'd recommend Earthshaker or Juggernaut, both of whom can be exceedingly powerful and can also be played as supports. Maybe bounty hunter - he's a good semicarry/ganker and Track is a pretty good ultimate for amassing huge amounts of gold for your team.

Oh, and Jakiro. Love Jakiro.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-01-02 at 12:11 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #319

Planetar

With regards to hero selection, are there any to avoid/specifically aim for as a newbie? And, for anyone here who also plays LoL, are there are heroes that play a bit like Veigar? =3
    I'd avoid heroes that require you to control more than one unit at first. Heroes like Meepo, Lone Druid, Chen, Enchantress and Visage would be best to avoid as their units have their own spells and keeping track of everything at once is a real pain. Other heroes that control more than one unit in an easier way are Nature's Prophet and Phantom Lancer who both can spawn units that last a medium-short amount of time and all you really need to do with them is select them as a group and attack-move.

Also I'd probably say avoid Invoker if you haven't done your reading up on him, casting his spells is pretty much a mini-game in itself and he can have some micro (controlling multiple units) elements depending on how you want to build him.

For Viegar like heroes I'd probably suggest something like either Lina or Skywrath Mage. Lina's W is essentially Leona's ult in League she has one other AoE damage ability and her ult is a huge single target nuke. You'll generally drop your stun on people and follow up with your other two damaging skills which will be enough to take out anyone without decent defensive items. Lina is mostly played as a support due to her ability to deal huge sums of damage without items and has a strong lane presence due to her stun so expect to be buying a courier at the start of the game, upgrading it to flying as soon as possible at the three minute mark and buying wards throughout.

Skywrath Mage is almost the opposite to Lina skill wise, three (mostly) single target abilities and one large AoE ult. He usually spams his Q in lane which is a slow moving homing damage ability, he also has an AoE ability which homes in on one hero and when it hits them deals damage and slows in a small AoE, a single target silence and a bit AoE ult which deals a large amount of damage but is however split between the amount of heroes caught in it. He needs large amounts of mana to use his skills frequently (his ult at rank 3 costs 800) and his Q has a damage multiplier based on your intelligence so he often will farm up a lot of Intelligence items and go mid.

There are quite a few Veigar like heroes in the game with AoE CC and Nuke damage but those are the two I'd mainly suggest for starting out. Disruptor is another hero like him that springs to mind due but is more CC focused (hence the name) and less Nukey.

One thing to watch out about as Skywrath Mage if you pick him up is a hero called Anti-Mage, his ultimate deals damage to you and people around you according to how much mana you're missing so late game when you have say 2000ish mana and have cycled through your skills he'll able to potentially one shot you with it. I had great fun when Skywrath was released picking Anti-Mage whenever I saw one.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

To run through the heroes available in the generally newbie-friendly "Limited Heroes" mode used at the end of the tutorials:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Note: LoL champ/item names referenced to point out what a given skill is similar to, not necessarily exactly the same as.
    Name Typical Roles Q W E R
    Bounty Hunter Assassin/ADC Single-target nuke Crits + Slow on-hit once every few seconds (passive) Stealth + bonus damage Mark hero for vision and +gold on-kill
    Death Prophet Mid/Support Cone-shaped nuke AoE silence +Movespeed and buff Q+W+R (passive) PBAoE DoT that affects buildings
    Dragon Knight ADC/Mid Cone-shaped nuke Melee-range stun +Armor +Regen (passive) Gain ranged attack and splash damage
    Drow Ranger ADC/Mid Double-strength Ashe Q Linear silence + knockback +Ranged damage for team (passive), active spreads bonus to nearby ranged creeps +LOTS of AS, AD, and armor when out of melee (passive)
    Juggernaut ADC/Support Spin2Win + magic immunity AoE Heal-over-time Crits (passive) Fiora ult (can hit same target with all attacks)
    Lich Support AoE unit-target nuke + slow Armor buff, slows enemies attacking buffed ally Kill allied creep to regen mana Brand ult (up to 10 bounces!)
    Lion Support Linear AoE stun Single-target Slow+Silence+Disarm Channeled mana steal High-damage single-target nuke
    Omniknight Support Heal 1 ally, nuke AoE around them Give 1 ally magic immunity Slow nearby enemies (passive) PBAoE physical immunity and +HP regen
    Razor ADC PBAoE nuke Steal AD from 1 enemy +movespeed, retaliate for enemy spells (passive) Rapid small nukes and -armor on nearby enemies
    Sand King Support Dash + stun + nuke Channeled PBAoE DoT + stealth Melee applies debuff that makes dying enemies explode (passive) Short channel, then Rammus ult that grows over time
    Sniper ADC AoE damage + slow Chance for +AD and ministuns (passive) +AA range (passive) Caitlyn ult (can't be bodyblocked)
    Sven ADC/Support AoE unit-target stun + nuke AA Cleave (passive) AoE +movespeed and armor buff Large +AD buff (+200% at rank 3!)
    Tidehunter Support/Mid Single-target slow + nuke DR and CC reduction (passive) PBAoE nuke + AD debuff Gigantic AoE stun + nuke
    Vengeful Spirit Support Single-target stun + nuke Linear skillshot armor debuff PBAoE damage buff (passive) Urgot ult (no channel time, no buffs/debuffs, can target allies)
    Viper Mid/ADC Ashe Q + DoT +AD vs. low-health enemies (passive) +MR, retaliate vs. all damage (passive) Single-target slow + DoT
    Warlock Mid/Support AoE debuff; damage on 1 target splashes to others Single-target DoT or HoT Channeled wide-AoE slow Yay! TIBBERS! (Quadruple-radius Annie ult. With stun.)
    Windranger Support/Mid Single-target stun; can chain +1 target for +duration Caitlyn Q Haste and 100% evasion to self; slow nearby enemies Maxed AS vs. one enemy but -AD
    Witch Doctor Support Brand ult; low damage but stuns PBAoE HoT toggle Small-AoE DoT (scales with damage on target) Channeled high-damage DoT
    Wraith King ADC Single-target stun + nuke + slow PBAoE +lifesteal (passive) Crits (passive) Heal-to-full slotless Guardian Angel, PBAoE slow when used (passive)
    Zeus Mid/Support Chain lightning, weak but spammable Single-target reveal + nuke Wide-AoE nuke on-cast, scaled to enemy HP (passive) No-channel Karthus ult

All of these heroes have bots programmed for them, so you can often pick up some item/skill build tips by watching what they do in a "Practice With Bots" or "Co-Op Vs. Bots" game.

And as for heroes to avoid:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Broodmother: Somewhat fragile and reliant on her stealth. Her pets require good management skills or else they'll feed large amounts of gold to anyone with Cleave or an AoE nuke.

Chen: Relies on knowledge of the jungle's layout, luck with the spawns, and then skill at independently controlling his mind-controlled creeps to avoid feeding them away.

Earth Spirit: Currently the "Losing-est Hero in DotA," largely due to his normal spells being low-damage and awkward to use. Vaguely similar to Syndra. Highly reliant on effective positioning and battlefield awareness.

Enchantress: Similar to Chen, with some tweaks that make her stronger in the lategame. Still shares many of his drawbacks, however.

Faceless Void: Void's ult (an AoE stunlock) can very easily make or break a teamfight. More often break, since it also stunlocks any ally that wanders into the area.

Invoker: Everyone's mentioned him so far as the hero to avoid, and for good reason. He's the "I'd rather be playing Magicka" hero, with ten different spells whose Q+W+E+R patterns all need to be memorized to use him effectively.

Io: Relies very heavily on map awareness, communication, and effective itemization. Without all three, he's pitifully weak ... and without a good carry to latch onto, weaker still.

Legion Commander: Kill an enemy with her ult, gain a permanent AD bonus! ... Die during her ult, and your enemy gets the bonus instead.

Lone Druid: Reliant on his pet ... which is independently controlled, has another six item slots to fuss over, and has a massive gold bounty if killed (sensing a pattern here?).

Meepo: Not only are his actives a bit unwieldy, but you also have up to five of him running around, all of which are controlled independently. If one dies, they all do.

Naga Siren: Naga's on this list mostly due to the throw/troll potential of her ult: a 7-second AoE stun ... that gives everything hit complete immunity to damage for the duration. Many is the AoE wombo-combo that has been ruined by an inept Naga.

Puck: High mobility, but extremely fragile until you learn to properly (ab)use his 50% uptime Zhonya's.

Rubick: While picking him as a new player isn't nearly as much of a throw as some of these others, effective use of his ult requires at least basic knowledge of what everyone on the other team can do skill-wise.

Storm Spirit: Hugely reliant on mana management and on precise execution of his spell + autoattack combos.

Visage: The pets summoned by his ult are controlled independently, very weak to autoattacks, and (you guessed it) give a large gold bounty if killed.

SPECIAL MENTION:
    Drow Ranger, Riki, and Sniper: Yes, two of them are in Limited Heroes mode. Yes, all three are "OP HAX" in low-to-mid-skill games once they have some farm. But unless and until they start snowballing, all three are very fragile and vulnerable to getting run down and flattened. Of course, this also applies to most other Agility carries ...
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2014-05-14 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Fix, fix, fix, fix the broken tables!

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Lunix Vandal: That is a wonderful list for anyone coming here from League. Nicely done.

All I would add is that the Lich armour buff also slows people who hit the recipient, Wraith King ult slows enemies near him when he resurrects, and that Sven ult (mostly just to make a point of how ridiculous it is) is a 100/150/200% AD buff.

But yes, fantastic resource. May I share it with a few others getting started on the game?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

Be my guest. Adding your suggested changes now.
    Also fixed a bit where I thought Lich could Sacrifice jungle creeps. He can only do that if you have an allied Chen/Enchantress/Helm of the Dominator controlling it.

A few other perennial favorites for All Pick:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name Typical Role Q W E R
    Abaddon Support Damage self, heal ally or harm enemy Grant shield to ally AA slows target, allies attacking target gain +AS and movespeed (passive) Turn all incoming damage into healing for a few seconds (active, but passively activates at low HP)
    Bane Support/Mid Large AD debuff (-120 at rank 4) Nuke 1 enemy, heal self for damage dealt Single-target debuff; sleep + small DoT, transfers to attacker on-hit, reactivate to remove from yourself 5-second channeled stun + large DoT (like Warwick ult, but from range)
    Crystal Maiden Support AoE nuke + slow Single-target root + disarm + DoT Team-wide +MPR, 2x effect on herself (passive) Channeled Anivia ult centered on self
    Dazzle Support Single-target slow + stun + DoT Make 1 ally immune to dying for 5 seconds "Chain lightning" version of Omniknight Q Wide AoE +/- armor buff/debuff, strengthens over time
    Disruptor Support Single-target reveal and AoE DoT Return enemy to where it was 4 seconds ago After short delay, create enemy-impassible ring (like a non-stunning Veigar E) Wide-AoE DoT and silence, damage increases over duration
    Earthshaker Support Linear stun, creates barrier for 8 seconds afterward Large +AD buff for next attack (+400% base damage at rank 4!) Using skills creates an extra PBAoE stun + small nuke (passive) PBAoE nuke, each target hit creates another AoE that deals 1/4 damage
    Gyrocopter ADC/Mid/Support (no, seriously, he's that versatile) High-damage PBAoE DoT, damage is split across all available targets Destructible, targeted homing missile that stuns and nukes Next several autoattacks hit all visible enemies in wide AoE 2-hit Ziggs ult that slows
    Jakiro Support Cone-shaped slow + DoT Long-range linear stun, 1/2 second delay Adds AoE debuff to AA that deals DoT and -AS High-damage linear DoT
    Keeper of the Light Support Channeled AoE nuke that hits in a wide line; damage based on channel time before canceling Debuff one enemy: lose a percentage of mana per distance moved, stun if reach 0 MP Restore large amount of MP to self or ally, like ally-target Soraka E Self-buff: Q is channeled by an invincible pet (so you can move and cast during the channel time), adds D and F. D: Teleport any allied hero to your location. F: Wide-AoE knockback and AA accuracy debuff.
    Kunkka ADC/Mid Cho'Gath Q Massive AoE cleave with bonus AD once every few seconds (passive) Mark enemy hero's location; hero is returned to that location after a few seconds (reactivate to send back early) After 3 sec delay, wide-AoE nuke + stun a fixed distance in front of you. Allies in the projectile's path have half of all incoming damage delayed for 7 seconds, when it is applied nonlethally.
    Lina Support Cone-shaped nuke Leona ult (entire AoE stuns) Using skills grants +AS and movespeed (passive) Large single-target nuke
    Ogre Magi Support Single-target nuke + stun Unit-target DoT and slow +AS and movespeed buff Using skills has a chance to fire multiple times in one cast, raises mana cost of Q, lowers cooldowns on W + E, adds AoE to W (passive)
    Shadow Shaman Support Cone-shaped nuke (max targets limited by skill rank) Single-target Slow + Silence + Disarm (same as Lion W) Channeled stun + DoT Summon tight ring of 10 Heimer turrets (enough room in the middle to trap an enemy hero)
    Skywrath Mage Mid/Support Single-target nuke, scales with Int Unit-target AoE nuke + slow Single-target silence and magic resist debuff Small AoE that does high DoT, split across all heroes in area
    Slardar ADC +Movespeed, but incoming damage is increased PBAoE Stun + Nuke AA has chance of stun and +AD (passive) Single-target reveal and massive armor debuff (equivalent to -150 LoL armor at rank 3!)
    Spirit Breaker ADC Global range; charge to target. Procs E on target and on all enemies touched during charge. PBAoE +movespeed buff (passive) AA has chance of stun, knockback, and +AD based on movespeed; proc gives temporary +movespeed (passive) Gapcloser + nuke, procs E on target
    Ursa ADC PBAoE nuke + slow Maxed AS for next several attacks Infinite-stacking Warwick passive (no lifesteal, passive) +AD buff based on current health
    Venomancer Support Linear DoT + Slow AA applies DoT + Slow (passive) Heimer turret; has your W at 1/2 strength, no limit to number placed Large, high-damage PBAoE DoT; but it cannot reduce enemies below 1 HP
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2014-04-01 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Fix, fix, fix, fix the broken tables!

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

You know, come to think of it, while I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner, Outworld Devourer and Legion Commander are kind of Veigar-y, aren't they?

Only as carries, I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

The two heroes I always start people off on are Keeper of the Light and Lich. They both have built-in mana refills so you can stay in lane, they have nukes to harass the enemy heroes or use to last hit/push, and they're both ranged heroes so you don't have to worry about awkwardly taking too much damage or dying from creeps.
    I play 3.5 DnD, WoW TCG, Warlord CCG, and DOTA 2.
    Phantom Lancer Ava by Sgt. Cookie!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    You know, come to think of it, while I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner, Outworld Devourer and Legion Commander are kind of Veigar-y, aren't they?

Only as carries, I guess.
    A little bit, yeah. Pudge and Silencer also have the LoL-hypercarry-gain-power-on-kill vibe going. (Especially when you have Silencer as ADC, OD as mid. Every kill Silencer is involved in increases the damage of Silencer's AA + W and OD's ult, and Silencer can spam for-flipping-ever with impunity thanks to OD's passive. *shudder*)
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2014-01-03 at 02:23 AM.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think Sniper is one of those characters where it depends on the experience of the player. If a player has a lot of experience with games like League of Legends, or even just stutter step micro from Starcraft, they'll be fine. If a player really hasn't done anything like that before.... not so much.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

27. - Top - End - #327

RedWizardGuy

In an unrelated story, Purge is going pro. Him and a few other guys calling themselves Team Zephyr flew down to South Korea to help out Blitz after his last team broke up. They're going to be taking part in the NSL Season 3 qualifiers, and it's honestly anybody's guess how well they'll do.

Spoiler: Team composition:
    Show
    Corey (Carry)
    Blitz (Mid)
    SexyBamboe (Offlane)
    Purge (Jungling/2nd Support)
    Eosin (Support)
    Last edited by Teln; 2014-01-03 at 09:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

I like how my sarcasm post said the same thing as everyone else's, just in 5 times shorter form.

I was looking at my screenshots today, and was reminded about one of my most wall-banging experiences with DotA 2. Guess what happens when someone abandons match in zero seconds? Before he even picks hero?

This
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    [
    I was looking at my screenshots today, and was reminded about one of my most wall-banging experiences with DotA 2. Guess what happens when someone abandons match in zero seconds? Before he even picks hero?
    Wouldn't that just give him an abandon, letting you leave the game and it not counting as a loss since the left early?

30. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not sure bots capitalize on missing players.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Greatest nonsensical poem ever= Lewis Carroll: Jabberwocky

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl