New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: DoTA 2 One: Not to be confused with DoTA 1 Two

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    We should actually make a Giantitp guild. It'll help find games as well as serve as a resource for who all is playing. I'll start it if everyone gives me their steam names and thinks it's a good idea.
    Sounds like a good idea. My Steam name's Teln, same as here. I'm also in the GitP Steam group if player search still refuses to admit that I exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be up for it, though I haven't tried playing on the american-located server and so don't know how good my ping will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63

I'll create one, as soon as I get home from the north of Scotland. It took me ten minutes to find the internet connection stuff...

On the plus side, saw otters and one incredibly curious seal.
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

So for useful sites:

http://www.dota2lounge.com/

decent trade site and also where people bet items on pro games. (really wish Valve implemented this in game but probably can't)

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Dota_2_Wiki

it's the wiki, good for figuring stuff out.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

5. - Top - End - #65

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I'll create one, as soon as I get home from the north of Scotland. It took me ten minutes to find the internet connection stuff...

On the plus side, saw otters and one incredibly curious seal.
    I like otters--they're just so cute and playful! Glad you're having fun, but can you give us an estimate on when you'll be back? I'm getting tired of pub games.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

6. - Top - End - #66

I'll be back on Saturday afternoon, but with unpacking and generally being tired out from a long drive I might not be up for a game till Sunday.

It'll be nice to get back to reliable internet. And not needing to go 50+ miles to a supermarket.
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    The best counter to Templar Assassin is clearly Rubick that builds a Radiance. That was a fun game. We got sufficiently farmed that everyone short of the Dark Seer was building carry.
    ^^ Man this guy.
    My favourite build has to be Spectre refresher rush though.
    Also I haven't really run into any leaving problems in the mid-high skill bracket. Only leavers in about 1/10 or 1/15 games, including the ones I leave. Believe me, if you abandon regularly enough, you get punished hard, my friend racked up about 6 months of low priority because he raged too hard.
    Feel free to hit me up on steam, Saruswag the Schlack, though I am Australian so any cross continent games are unlikely to end well connection wise.

Counterpicking, in my opinion, is largely about picking heroes that will nullify the use of other heroes skills. For example, Dragon Knight against Weaver. DKs massive stun will help stop weavers positional abilities with Shukuchi, and hopefully allow you to chain stun weaver to death before he can Time Lapse. Also Dragon Knights high armour counters weavers armour reducing Swarm ability and the armor reducing strategy that weaver can build for.

Another example is a split-push hero like Natures Prophet or Tinker against heros such as Clockwerk or Spirit Breaker. Both Clockwerk and Spirit Breaker have long range distance closing abilities in Hookshot and Charge respectively that can easily get in close with split push heros (such as NP and Tinker) and kill them with ease.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyrm View Post
    ^^ Man this guy.
    My favourite build has to be Spectre refresher rush though.
    Also I haven't really run into any leaving problems in the mid-high skill bracket. Only leavers in about 1/10 or 1/15 games, including the ones I leave. Believe me, if you abandon regularly enough, you get punished hard, my friend racked up about 6 months of low priority because he raged too hard.
    Feel free to hit me up on steam, Saruswag the Schlack, though I am Australian so any cross continent games are unlikely to end well connection wise.

Counterpicking, in my opinion, is largely about picking heroes that will nullify the use of other heroes skills. For example, Dragon Knight against Weaver. DKs massive stun will help stop weavers positional abilities with Shukuchi, and hopefully allow you to chain stun weaver to death before he can Time Lapse. Also Dragon Knights high armour counters weavers armour reducing Swarm ability and the armor reducing strategy that weaver can build for.

Another example is a split-push hero like Natures Prophet or Tinker against heros such as Clockwerk or Spirit Breaker. Both Clockwerk and Spirit Breaker have long range distance closing abilities in Hookshot and Charge respectively that can easily get in close with split push heros (such as NP and Tinker) and kill them with ease.
    Well getting to Tinker isn't exactly easy, what with the teleporting and such. Good Tinkers are scary things.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Well getting to Tinker isn't exactly easy, what with the teleporting and such. Good Tinkers are scary things.
    Spectre + Io short lane, Nature Jungle, Tinker Solo Mid, either Broodmother or Dark Seer long lane solo.

The ultimate in tower pushing and global manueverability.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    Spectre + Io short lane, Nature Jungle, Tinker Solo Mid, either Broodmother or Dark Seer long lane solo.

The ultimate in tower pushing and global manueverability.
    Alternatively, Shadow Shaman mid and Warlock short lane. Both build Ags and Refresher.

Goodbye towers.

Blood~

11. - Top - End - #71

RedWizardGuy

Alternatively, Shadow Shaman mid and Warlock short lane. Both build Ags and Refresher.

Goodbye towers.
    Death Prophet on mid, rush a Bloodstone, max Witchcraft, then nab Refresher. Murder towers, crush teamfights.

12. - Top - End - #72

My favorite pub trawling strategy is completely global.
    Spectre, Natures Prophet, Zeus, Silencer and Ancient Apparition.
    4 Refreshers, 4 Aghanims.
    So many random kills its hilarious. The one button hero team.

13. - Top - End - #73

By the way, the next two heroes to come out are going to be Legion Commander and Goblin Techies, in that order. I'm mostly sure (90%ish) about this.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Unreleased_Content
    Last edited by GreenSerpent; 2013-08-01 at 11:56 AM.

Blood~

14. - Top - End - #74
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    As a note, I'm trying to get a team of Mid-High level players together.

The type of people I'm looking for are people who are at least capable of winning games against Unfair bots, and understand what farm priorities and lane equilibrium are.

Add: The Great and Tasty Vincent on steam, we already have two members and are looking to fill our last 3 slots on the team.

Please and thank you. <3

Also Riki is countered by supports grabbing sentries and popping them in lane around the 5 or 6 minute mark, he's incredibly easy to counter and with the new dust buff (adds a 15% move speed penalty on people who are invisible when it hits.) invis heroes are going to see a lot less play in the current meta.

If you had to go with a support to counter riki though, I'd say grab Silencer, Riki being silenced reveals him and if you just pop last word on him when he jumps he isn't going anywhere. And given his lack of short cool down spells it's likely that he'll get hit with the disarm to boot.
    Wandering in here as a League player, it's amusing to see that DotA bots are sufficiently advanced to judge levels of skill, because League's bots are...not.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Wandering in here as a League player, it's amusing to see that DotA bots are sufficiently advanced to judge levels of skill, because League's bots are...not.
    To be 100% honest this is just to get the bar set at a level that's "Stumble over" rather than non existant.

The main thing in team composition is 100% communication and understanding people's movements and capabilities. We want people who have a base level of talent that's already there to work with just so we don't have to build them from the ground up.

While the DOTA bots certainly are "capable" at some base level, there's a lot of logic that just "Does not compute" with them, you can go invisible over and over again all day and they all but refuse to buy sentries, dust, or gem. They place wards, but only sparingly, their laning is aggressive but ultimately they always end up either over extending or sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

Though I will grant them the machine accuracy of last hitting, though that's more due to the computer always being able to check the numbers in a 100% math oriented game.

16. - Top - End - #76

RedWizardGuy

That and literally inhuman reaction times.

17. - Top - End - #77

RedWizardGuy

So, anybody watching the Third International? Rattlesnake just took the wildcard slot, beating Quantum 3 games to 1.

Apologies for the double post.
    Last edited by Teln; 2013-08-02 at 07:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    So, anybody watching the Third International? Rattlesnake just took the wildcard slot, beating Quantum 3 games to 1.

Apologies for the double post.
    Yeah, their performances in the first and fourth games were particularly impressive. Especially the Keeper in that game, pretty much all of his recalls were on time and helped. That and Storm Spirit's Zip zap zoopidy bop was good.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

19. - Top - End - #79

RedWizardGuy

Rotten showing by Na'vi, lucky for them it's just the prelims.

20. - Top - End - #80

Na'Vi seems to have a tendency of losing games before starting a winning streak, so I'm not too worried.

If you want to efficiently watch ti3:
    http://multitwitch.tv/beyondthesummi.../sheevergaming

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

just noticed the prelims are best of 2... and left wondering how in the balls ties are split with the betting.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

22. - Top - End - #82

They're basically collecting points from the prelim games, which is why a tiebreaker game isn't needed.
    On the bet sites it would seem that bets are just canceled in case of a tie.

23. - Top - End - #83

Guild is up. If you wish to join, please contact me on my Steam account "Totally Not from GITP" (minus "s).

Blood~

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Guild is up. If you wish to join, please contact me on my Steam account "Totally Not from GITP" (minus "s).
    Added, currently under the name Superman.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

By the way, the next two heroes to come out are going to be Legion Commander and Goblin Techies, in that order. I'm mostly sure (90%ish) about this.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Unreleased_Content
    Ah, the much-maligned Techies. I wonder how much rage his re-introduction to the (new) game will inspire. He probably has the single greatest impact on the nature of the game of any hero.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Ah, the much-maligned Techies. I wonder how much rage his re-introduction to the (new) game will inspire. He probably has the single greatest impact on the nature of the game of any hero.
    Through feeding? *wink*

Blood~

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Through feeding? *wink*
    Suicide Attack! gives him exp and the kill. You on the other hand, do not get exp when he kills you with it.

Yeah...

28. - Top - End - #88

I remember Techies. They were a ton of fun, and Suicide could get first blood so easily. It got really tough to do much against good players, though.

29. - Top - End - #89

I used to love techies so much. Hes such a huge pain for any team that can't be bothered with map awareness. Does Aghs still give him awesome range with his ult? Used to love that in team fights. Stun>Run, long range almost instant ults. And with that buff that gave him mine exp a while ago it became sooo much easier.

30. - Top - End - #90

RedWizardGuy

Dota2pedia says that Aghanim's gives Techies 700 range with his ult.