New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

How about a beheaded medusa?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

I think a Beheaded Minotaur is actually cooler... I just like the picture.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would it be possible to have a Soul-trapped template (Cause of "Death" being having your soul stolen)?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

From the Capital punishment page of Wikipedia:
    Current methods
    Decapitation
    Electrocution
    Firing squad
    Gas chamber
    Hanging
    Lethal injection
    Stoning

Past methods
    Blowing from a gun
    Boiling
    Breaking wheel
    Burning
    Crucifixion
    Crushing
    Disembowelment
    Dismemberment
    Drawing and quartering
    Elephant
    Flaying
    Garrote
    Immurement
    Impalement
    Mazzatello
    Premature burial
    Sawing
    Scaphism
    Slow slicing
    Suffocation in ash
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2013-10-29 at 07:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #365

Thanks for all the responses. There were some interesting and humorous ideas in there.
    Beheaded Hydras and Medusas wouldn't work particularly well, as their staple abilities wouldn't function. They make sense, except that they wouldn't be "executed"... they would be "slain". That's the issue I keep coming around to. I made the template for creatures sentenced to execution, specifically, which means that only creatures which would be tried and convicted qualify.
    The beheaded minotaur also has a tactical advantage in his local terrain. The twisting tunnels of a labyrinth allow him to corner panicked creatures more easily, granting him effortless coup-de-gras attempts. His ghostly ability to shortcut through the maze means that escape is hopeless and futile.

Can I do a pair of spectres as my "sample creature"? I'm thinking something like Bonnie and Clyde, sentenced to death in different ways on the same day. One hanged and one buried, or one burned and one drowned.

Also, I'm debating a beheaded nobleman 3/ranger 10 with a direwolf companion. Been reading the Game of Thrones books recently.

Regarding the list of execution methods, I see some interesting methods in there, and many I don't even know. Stoning, Firing Squad, Dismemberment/Drawn and Quartered, Disembowelment, Flaying, and Impalement would all work. Perhaps the Sacrificed and the Soul-trapped could become the Accursed, those slain by dark magic and vile rituals.

Edit: Ok, so I'm looking through some of the Bestiaries, pulling out anything that comes to mind. Here's a list of my current ideas ~
    1. Bonnie & Clyde (two criminals killed in different ways, working together)
    2. Beheaded Bogeyman (Particularly nasty fey, CR 10 with quickened phantasmal killer... this thing would be terrifying.)
    3. Blistered Dryad (Her tree torched by an evil lord when she tried to defend her forest against ravagers.)
    4. Quickling (Fast little fey, executed for thievery, I love these guys)
    5. Entombed Medusa (her victims broken into rubble and used to bury her alive)
    6. Beheaded Minotaur (After being trapped within the Labyrinth for decades, a new king decides to end the creature's life, and sends his executioner into the tunnels)

I'll probably do the Entombed Medusa, though some of the others look like fun, too.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2013-10-29 at 10:57 PM.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

YESYESYEYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!

I finished something! I've cobbled together my longest "short" creation ever: it took 4 Pages in Word, but it's finished.

I PRESENT:

The Handyman, fearful master of all Columbia!

Please critique at your pleasure.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Can I get a promise from you guys that if I give another week for XX, that there will be three complete entries? It's the 30th, tomorrow is the last day and I don't like not having enough entries for a voting thread.

And Sam, I'll give a full run down tomorrow, but my preliminary read through makes me feel that Heart Vial is too abusable (and thus this thing isn't really CR 15) and that Vigor Resistance should just be SR that also applies to Vigors.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2013-10-30 at 07:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368

Yay
    Kindred are done. Seriously worried I wouldn't have time to complete it cause of the mental stuff and exams. Definitely not one of my better homebrews but I'm so happy I was making something again.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Can I get a promise from you guys that if I give another week for XX, that there will be three complete entries? It's the 30th, tomorrow is the last day and I don't like not having enough entries for a voting thread.

And Sam, I'll give a full run down tomorrow, but my preliminary read through makes me feel that Heart Vial is too abusable (and thus this thing isn't really CR 15) and that Vigor Resistance should just be SR that also applies to Vigors.
    Yeah, it's basically SR. I was just trying to make it more interesting than straight up "SR" because the Handyman does technically have a lot of resistance to it in the games.

I put in Heart Vial because I was worried that with ludicrously high Touch/Flatfooted AC, in addition to a lot of attacks, it might tend too high. Plus, that is the only place to really damage the big boys in-game. How would you recommend changing, and what CR do you think it is?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it's basically SR. I was just trying to make it more interesting than straight up "SR" because the Handyman does technically have a lot of resistance to it in the games.

I put in Heart Vial because I was worried that with ludicrously high Touch/Flatfooted AC, in addition to a lot of attacks, it might tend too high. Plus, that is the only place to really damage the big boys in-game. How would you recommend changing, and what CR do you think it is?
    I'd say change the Heart Vial to give a debilitating debuff if a critical hit is successful. It's just pretty easy to hit AC 27 at level 15 with only a -6 penalty.

For example:

• 18 in Strength at level 1, with a +2 race and a full BaB class.
    • Add +1 to Strength at 4th, 8th, and 12th, adding in either a +4 spell or something else for a total strength bonus of +8 and an attack bonus of +15 from the class. That's +23 before anything else and is an 85% chance to hit.
    • A -6 penalty only drops this to a 55% chance and this is again with no other real buffs to attack bonus, such as feats, weapon enhancements or other benefits.

As for what CR it'd actually be with those stats, you'd have to do analysis of what could survive a few rounds with it and only hit an AC of 33 50% of the time or less.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

How about that for one turn after you hit the Heart Vial (with the called shot), you and all allies may make critical hits as normal? I could also increase the penalty, if necessary.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

12. - Top - End - #372
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

That would be so wonderful.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

By my count, we have four complete entries, plus Dawnbringer, who's about to pull of some last minute epic, if I read correctly.

That makes a full contest, right?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

14. - Top - End - #374
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

By my count, we have four complete entries, plus Dawnbringer, who's about to pull of some last minute epic, if I read correctly.

That makes a full contest, right?
    Something came up today. But I should hopefully be finished tomorrow or the next day, which is why I was really happy tanuki said about extending.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll extend it, since I know we'll have enough entries.

And is the Handyman immune to critical hits?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll extend it, since I know we'll have enough entries.

And is the Handyman immune to critical hits?
    That should be under Special Defenses. The reasoning behind this was straight-up realism. In the game, you cannot ever score bonus damage, other than hitting the heart vial.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

That should be under Special Defenses. The reasoning behind this was straight-up realism. In the game, you cannot ever score bonus damage, other than hitting the heart vial.
    I just did a quick read and haven't had the chance to fully read it. Honestly don't know if I will get a chance, with all the homework I need to do. @.@

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

I just did a quick read and haven't had the chance to fully read it. Honestly don't know if I will get a chance, with all the homework I need to do. @.@
    Real life can be an ass sometimes. I totally understand!

I'm just hoping ZHDarkstar can finish his Teaching Assistant...

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, new contest is up folks, but don't forget that the last one is open till the 8th (if you still have an entry to complete or still want to submit something).

I'll update everything else when the 8th comes and goes.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, I already have my entry started, but I have a question with regards to future contests: would it be possible to make a Mythic Path for an entry, or even to augment the main entry? Because I really like mythic and have wanted an excuse to make a path for a while... Heck, if it's permitted to make one to augment the main entry, I might make one for my entry to the current contest, as I've got an idea of how to make it, haha.

21. - Top - End - #381

I got called in for some overtime the last few days, and ever time I've been home, my laptop hasn't been able to connect to the internet. I need to reset the router, but my room-mates are watching a stream of the Japanese P4-A competition right now, so I'm kinda SOL. I'm on my GF's comp for 20 minutes while she's asleep, before driving off to work, so no time today.
    Anyway, I say all that to say thanks for the extension; I'll submit a sample creature (Entombed Medusa) as early as possible.

Edit: The Teaching Assistant is done, I thought. He's got space saved for more stuff, overflow and the like, but the class is done. The seemingly blank spaces in the class table are because the class takes the statistics of the class it emulates.
    Last edited by gr8artist; 2013-11-03 at 09:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

I already have a fun entry idea for Madman in a Magic Box. The Companion PrC. Although I'm considering making it one of those classes where you pick a new ability from a list every level. Thoughts?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Ok my Viashino is essentially done apart from the fluff. I will be adding the fluff later on today, and if I think of anything else before the 8th I may add onto it.

24. - Top - End - #384

Ok, my entry is done and the sample creature is up.

I think I'll do Sontarans (race) for the Dr. Who contest. Tough little Homonculi with armor and weapon proficiencies, + Str and Con, - Cha. The trouble will be their weak spot... I don't know how much it's worth, race-point wise, and I'm not sure if it should be a "facing" mechanic or a "flanking" mechanic. Opinions?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Ok, my entry is done and the sample creature is up.

I think I'll do Sontarans (race) for the Dr. Who contest. Tough little Homonculi with armor and weapon proficiencies, + Str and Con, - Cha. The trouble will be their weak spot... I don't know how much it's worth, race-point wise, and I'm not sure if it should be a "facing" mechanic or a "flanking" mechanic. Opinions?
    Perhaps have them take extra damage on critical hits and/or sneak attacks?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps have them take extra damage on critical hits and/or sneak attacks?
    But it's an instant unconcious effect...

Perhaps if they're flanked, someone can make a called shot, with a chance to knock them out? Or, all criticals knock them out, when flanking, or...?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

27. - Top - End - #387

Well, I am going to make Cybermen. I think I'll make it a template for
    Spoiler
    Show
    any humanoid (Since as of Nightmare in Silver, they can latch into non-humans, such as the Doctor.)
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

But it's an instant unconcious effect...

Perhaps if they're flanked, someone can make a called shot, with a chance to knock them out? Or, all criticals knock them out, when flanking, or...?
    At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. The Sontarans are one of my favorite alien races on the show.

29. - Top - End - #389

Was next months theme chosen yet?
    I may as well start on that now, since I don't like Doctor Who.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Was next months theme chosen yet?
    I may as well start on that now, since I don't like Doctor Who.
    No. I'm waiting for XX to formally close before starting the decision process for that.