New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The "Tales of" Series

It seems like there's two different aspects of feeling rushed: story and gameplay. Some recent titles lean more towards one than the other.

3DS Name: Rezzy, FC: 0104-0343-1530

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

Fire Emblem Fates Castle Address
    05107-66614
    62592-54117

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

I was going to say that Vesperia wasn't rushed, but it did feel really incomplete. I can't argue with the derpness that was the third act.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
    I was going to say that Vesperia wasn't rushed, but it did feel really incomplete. I can't argue with the derpness that was the third act.
    Due to how horrible the last 1/3 or so of the story is I really hope that it was due to a rushed job and not the writers just running out of ideas.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulm11 View Post
    Due to how horrible the last 1/3 or so of the story is I really hope that it was due to a rushed job and not the writers just running out of ideas.
    I would have been forgivable if the enhanced edition for the PS3 fixed it, but from what I've heard it doesn't.

One thing I liked about Graces was the future arc which wrapped up a lot (but by no means all) of the loose ends.

Lots of bred Pokemon, complete list on my Gym Leader Page of the Giant League Wiki, PM me if you'd like to trade for one.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

5. - Top - End - #515
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

I kind of just stopped playing after I beat Alexei. I'm like "Okay, I beat the main bad guy, I'm done," mostly because everyone says the story falls apart in act 3 and I was getting pretty mad at how I never had enough skill points to equip the skills I wanted.

On another note, Sodia is a terrible person.

R.I.P Zz'dtri. You'll always be the best the LG ever had in my opinion. 'Tis a shame you weren't defeated by V in an epic battle of wizards.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demolator View Post
    I kind of just stopped playing after I beat Alexei. I'm like "Okay, I beat the main bad guy, I'm done," mostly because everyone says the story falls apart in act 3 and I was getting pretty mad at how I never had enough skill points to equip the skills I wanted.

On another note, Sodia is a terrible person.
    I'd still finish it for completion's sake. Sort of like a Trekkie will still watch the bad movies at least once.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

7. - Top - End - #517
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ulm11 View Post
    There were a couple of earlier signs that they were running low on either time or money:

"All right, guys, let's approach the gigantic floating fortress!"
    "Woah, we're really doing a great job dodging all those weapons and things!"
    "Yes, indeed, a most exciting and action-packed aerial battle is certainly taking place just off-screen!"
    "Your exclamations of shock and amazement are oddly informative! Why, if I were hypothetically unable to see this scene, I probably still wouldn't be missing out on anything at all!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    There were a couple of earlier signs that they were running low on either time or money:

"All right, guys, let's approach the gigantic floating fortress!"
    "Woah, we're really doing a great job dodging all those weapons and things!"
    "Yes, indeed, a most exciting and action-packed aerial battle is certainly taking place just off-screen!"
    "Your exclamations of shock and amazement are oddly informative! Why, if I were hypothetically unable to see this scene, I probably still wouldn't be missing out on anything at all!"
    Once the white haired pretty boys took over the plot everything went to hell.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As people have pointed out, they're pretty much the same thing. If the plot fizzles in the third act and just gets dumb, the options are:

A) The team didn't really have enough time to put together a 'real' third act and make it good
    OR
    B) They just somehow never had any ideas for how to wrap the game up and couldn't figure any out, so muddled along as best they could.

B seems extremely unlikely, so we are left with A, which is basically "We didn't have time to finish the game."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Airk View Post
    As people have pointed out, they're pretty much the same thing. If the plot fizzles in the third act and just gets dumb, the options are:

A) The team didn't really have enough time to put together a 'real' third act and make it good
    OR
    B) They just somehow never had any ideas for how to wrap the game up and couldn't figure any out, so muddled along as best they could.

B seems extremely unlikely, so we are left with A, which is basically "We didn't have time to finish the game."
    Since the rerelease did nothing to fix those shortcomings, I'm leaning more towards B.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Since the rerelease did nothing to fix those shortcomings, I'm leaning more towards B.
    I don't know. I don't think rereleases even GET story writers. I mean seriously. Does Patty even do anything in the plot? Does playable Flynn? The answer is apparently "no, they're just there for humor and the occasional character skit"

The "rerelease" was probably done on a shoestring budget, possibly with orders not to change anything too major. To my knowledge, Graces F is the ONLY time Namco has EVER attempted to 'fix the plot' with a rerelease, and even then, they didn't CHANGE anything as far as I know, they just...tacked on some stuff at the end.

I mean, seriously, it wouldn't have been HARD to make 3rd act Vesperia less stupid.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Airk View Post
    I mean, seriously, it wouldn't have been HARD to make 3rd act Vesperia less stupid.
    I hear Aspio gets destroyed or something and I'm very confused as to why Rita's still there at the end of the game.

R.I.P Zz'dtri. You'll always be the best the LG ever had in my opinion. 'Tis a shame you weren't defeated by V in an epic battle of wizards.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I hear Aspio gets destroyed or something and I'm very confused as to why Rita's still there at the end of the game.
    er, what? Still where?

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

Palma Costa is destroyed in ToS, but it seems like it's back to normal in ToS2. I guess there's different degrees of destroyed. It takes quite a bit to wipe a town off the map.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think the entirety of Palmacosta was destroyed. The docks and harbor definitely were, but I think the downtown/recreational area was spared, save for debris. Would have been nice to go in there anyway. We got to go into destroyed Luin, why not Palma?

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think the entirety of Palmacosta was destroyed. The docks and harbor definitely were, but I think the downtown/recreational area was spared, save for debris. Would have been nice to go in there anyway. We got to go into destroyed Luin, why not Palma?
    Maybe it was just so they didn't have to code for another zone.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

17. - Top - End - #527
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Maybe it was just so they didn't have to code for another zone.
    THEY DESTROYED PALMACOSTA?! WHEN?!

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

THEY DESTROYED PALMACOSTA?! WHEN?!
    When the world tree goes crazy.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

19. - Top - End - #529
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

When the world tree goes crazy.
    Oh yeah...I don't know why, but I always forget about that part. Do you ever return to Palmacosta after that? I don't feel like I did.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Orc in the Playground

Oh yeah...I don't know why, but I always forget about that part. Do you ever return to Palmacosta after that? I don't feel like I did.
    Nope. You can't even enter it if you wanted to.

EDIT: I'm not correcting my grammar.
    Last edited by Shekinah; 2014-02-05 at 12:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. You can't even enter it if you wanted to.

EDIT: I'm not correcting my grammar.
    Do we ever find out what happens to Neil or Chocolate's mom? They never really address it.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

Do we ever find out what happens to Neil or Chocolate's mom? They never really address it.
    Beats me. Come to think of it...

Spoiler
    Show
    It would really suck if Chocolate's mom died after we saved her, considering Lloyd and Genis killed her grandmother/saved her from a fate worse than death. Kinda makes the whole thing rather depressing.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

Beats me. Come to think of it...

Spoiler
    Show
    It would really suck if Chocolate's mom died after we saved her, considering Lloyd and Genis killed her grandmother/saved her from a fate worse than death. Kinda makes the whole thing rather depressing.
    I forget if they ever address it in the sequel. I've only played ToS2 once, so I don't remember it as well as most of the others.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

24. - Top - End - #534
    Orc in the Playground

I didn't play ToS2 at all, so beats me.

Oh, the new ToS game comes out this month, doesn't it? What day?

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't play ToS2 at all, so beats me.

Oh, the new ToS game comes out this month, doesn't it? What day?
    February 25, I believe.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

26. - Top - End - #536
    Orc in the Playground

Decided to start a new playthrough of Legendia. It helps when dealing with the mess of pregnancy, since I don't have to worry about dealing with other people like I do in an MMO.

Grinding eres stones is still a pain, though.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Symphonia Chronicles finally gets released Tuesday. Unfortunately for me at least, that's my busiest day of the week. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up during lunch.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

I decided to look at the Game Trailers comparison of graphics for ToS and ToS: Chronicles. The changes are subtle. The Barbie doll faces are still there, but they're a little less noticeable. The black lines around everyone's physical profiles are now gone and facial movements are smoother.

Also, you apparently get extra costumes if you have costumes for Graces and Xillia. I can't verify this yet, but either I or Rezzy will once we start playing.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone else picked up ToS:Chronicles?

We should start our new play through today. I wish I could transfer my new game plus over from my old GameCube save, but I guess that's a little much to ask for.

05107-66614
    62592-54117

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

I'm skipping it, personally. I still have the originals of both games, and see no reason to buy a new copy of them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis