New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Of murders, witch hunters and expeditions IC thread

The warrior raises his head for just an inch.

"As...prrr...nnnts....Thrrrr....U....Mrrrrkd....As ...prrr...nnnts....frrrrrr......nowwwwww?"
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-09-29 at 07:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #392

The initiate nodded. "I'm sure the city authorities will have much and more to say on the subject of your fate. If either of you wish to return to Sigmar's embrace before justice is served, then you'd best say so soon. I will gladly hear your confessions." She didn't have much hope, but these Nordenians had been Sigmarites once. However far they had fallen, perhaps at least one could still regain a measure of what had been lost. Other matters demanded her attention now, and she motioned for the raiders to move slowly toward the watchmen. They should be enough to keep the beaten men in check.

With that done, Karina picked her way through the bloodied rainwater toward the palace guard. As far as she could tell, he had been the only one on their side injured in the fighting. It was either extraordinary luck or divine intervention, and as she remembered the force behind the warrior's brutal blows, she couldn't find it in herself to care which.

"You fought well. How is your arm?" She asked, gently. "May I tend to it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal Check (assuming the guard lets her take a look at it): (1d100)[98] vs. 33

3. - Top - End - #393

Eugen Waibel

"Do you ever tire of being so observant, Ulrich?" he asked, mostly in jest. He was right, of course, as always. Who knew what dark powers his mutations granted the warrior? While it was unlikely that he regenerated, since he would have been much harder to take down if his wounds from the other battles today had healed by now, why take a risk? With his sword almost at the warrior's throat, he'd be quick to cut it when the warrior made a suspicious move... and Eugen prepared for a powerful movement.

Eugen turned his attention back to the warrior, trying to discern his words.

This was probably the longest conversation any imperial citizen had ever had with a Chaos Warrior. Up until now, he hadn't considered it to be possible at all. Most didn't.

"So there are two Aspirants, warrior? Thr and Mrkd?" He wasn't sure what he had anticipated. The warrior's speech wasn't too clear, so "Thr and Mrkd" was probably all he was going to get.

"Where can I find them? Try to speak their names more clearly, warrior. I will release you then." It was time. Not only because he could possibly regenerate, at Ulrich suspected, but also because he'd promised him a warrior's death, not slowly bleeding to death.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2013-09-30 at 04:54 AM.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

4. - Top - End - #394

HalflingPirate

"Nnnnoooo....thrrrr! Ooonnnn....tw....thrrrr! Cn't...nam....Thrrr....As...prrr....nnnnts.....U.. .frrrth?

5. - Top - End - #395

HalflingPirate

Meanwhile, more volunteers arrive and a group of watchmen officially arrests the Nordenians for herecy, betrayal and multiple murders. The culprits do not accept Karina's offer. It is clear that they consider themselves dead already as they are taken away.

Karina's attempt to aid the wounded man fails and he howls in pain. "Thank you sister, but I'll visit a physician later. You have done enough already in this place"
    he says wth a grimace.

The rain's fury and power lessens gradually,until it becomes a light drizzle.

6. - Top - End - #396

Eugen Waibel

In one fell swoop, Eugen cut the warrior's head from his shoulders.
    With widened eyes, he glanced down at the corpse. He swallowed hard.
    He had panicked.

Had Ulrich heard that? Hopefully not. Possibly. Still, it wasn't true.
    Wasn't his action suspicious, then? He had to force himself not to look over to the scholar, to see how he reacted.

The impact of the blow had caused the massive warrior's body to fall over as well, now it lay on the floor in a puddle of rainwater and blood, the severed head a little further away.
    Aghast, he reached up and touched his moustache, looking if it was in order.

He should have said something like 'For Sigmar' before beheading him. That wouldn't have been suspicious. How he had done it was strange.

"For Sigmar." he said, a little too late.

"Sister Karina was right. He's probably not a very good source of information." Eugen mused, putting the shield on his back, then cleaning his blade with a piece of cloth and putting it back into its sheath.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

Gabrielle hadn't been thinking much past the coldness in her bones. She decided from there to get something more weatherproof, mostly to avoid a cold. She wasn't sure why she hadn't already if she were honest!

Even so, their task was done now and the rain seemed to be letting up. They had survived two brutal encounters in one night, something most people of the Empire wouldn't have done against the forces of Chaos. Still, just being thankful for being alive was enough for her.

"We need to decide what to do next,"
    she mentioned to the group, looking more like a drowned animal that a noblewoman. "With any luck this is all over for now and we can continue investigating. Though I'm still troubled by what we've seen."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

"I'm not observant enough by half, I reckon" it was a tight smile while watching the warrior.

He wasn't sure what the warrior was saying - and honestly the words of a madmad were something that he didn't want to hear - in some ways a curious mind was an invitation to corruption. Of course a closed one missed things.

Eugen had seemed to act oddly - but given the situation he could not blame him. Breathing out as the warrior feel, "should burn him to" he said with a better smile.

Nodding to the noble woman, "firstly I have a promise to keep".

Walking to the Andreas and Ulla - "this man was engaged in criminality - however his actions tonight show him to be true, despite his mistake. If he is to be tried I would defend him - but I would advise that instead he is allowed to provide his accomplices, and offered probation within the watch - with the barest of stipend - to make up for his misdeeds" offering the man a tight smile "the city will need people that can face the enemies of the Empire in the future" looking to Ulla "so I would consider it at the least", he would offer his assistance to the man regardless - such was his word after all, but he would prefer not to have to do so. The others in that group could swing.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Law: (1d100)[27]
    Charm: (1d100)[58]

9. - Top - End - #399

HalflingPirate

Ulla looks ambivalent. The shcolar's speech was not the most eloquent, but the law is the law.

"That's a risk, sir. Still, we are grateful for your actions and you are right to speak of the regulations. He is on probation until the Captain decides what is to be done."

Andreas is shocked. "Blimey, I'm a watchman".

Meanwhile, the warrior's armor pieces prove to be difficult but not impossible to remove.

10. - Top - End - #400

Eugen Waibel

Gabrielle was freezing, it was obvious to him when Eugen turned his attention to her as she began speaking.
    "You should take my mantle." he simply said, removing the cloak from his shoulders an putting it around Gabrielle's. It wasn't much to look at, at least not any more, but still, it was warm and not too wet on the inside. Better than nothing. He gave her a little, reassuring smile.
    "Maybe we should talk to Syrcora next." Eugen suggested. "I have a feeling she knows quite a lot about the situation here." At the very least, it was quite interesting that she had shown up here at the warehouse just in time.

But before that...
    "True." Eugen answered to Ulrich's suggestion to burn the Chaos warrior. "We shouldn't let his armour go to waste, though." he continued, crouching down next to the corpse, trying to remove the warrior's gorget first. It was difficult, but possible.

If there were three Aspirants in the city, what had happened this night might have been a mere foretaste of what was to come, he thought. They all had to get some more equipment. They had been lucky up until now, but such luck never lasted, he knew that from experience. Selling the warrior's armour should cover some costs.

11. - Top - End - #401

Karina nodded gravely to the guard, turning to respond to Gabrielle and Eugen. "I hope that this night's foul work is spent," She replied. "but somehow I doubt it. Wasn't there word of trouble at the palace? As much as I'd like to speak with Syrcora, it may be that we're needed elsewhere."

She smiled a little as Eugen offered the noblewoman his cloak. The Sister hadn't missed the way the mercenary looked out for Gabrielle in little ways. As far as she was concerned, that was all to the good. He was a formidable fighter, and though Gabrielle certainly held her own during the night, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have Eugen watching her back. She was less pleased with the way he went after the dark warrior's armor.

"I know it doesn't...appear tainted," she said doubtfully as he pried at the gorget. "But looks can be deceiving. That steel is steeped in untold acts of malice and blasphemy. The only safe trophy from a follower of Chaos is a rousing tale by the fireside."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

Nodding to Ulla, and turning to Andreas "make the most of it", with that he walked back to the others, and overheard the end of the conversation.

"Aye, the armour might be normal - it might not, would you trust anything that the flesh of a mutant was held within. I would not" he said flatly.

"I would say we should stay here - another attack may not occur, but if he and they were supposed to report it very well might - or if the fire was intended as a signal", shrugging "but there are no good options here".

13. - Top - End - #403

Eugen Waibel

"We could probably ask them about the castle." With a nod of his head, Eugen gestured at the watchmen taking the cultists into custody. "But I doubt the watch would send guards and volunteers to the warehouse if the castle was still under attack."
    He put the gorget to his side, then took to taking off the warrior's gauntlets, only stopping for a second when Karina expressed her concerns.

"I'm not looking for a trophy, Sister." he calmy explained. "The warrior told me there were three more aspirants in the city of Norden. Some might have been killed elsewhere tonight, but we can't be sure. I doubt it is over."
    He looked at her thoughtfully.
    "We'll need money. Since the Templar won't pay us, but we'll still be on the frontlines of his fight, this might be the only way we can afford any equipment. You wield your hammer well, even admirably so, but I know you would feel better about facing the enemy with a shield and some sturdy leather protecting your body - as would everybody else." He looked at Ulrich, then at Gabrielle. Axel wore some armour, just like him, but even the two of them could be armoured better.
    "Up until now, we were lucky. I'd rather have some protection when that luck runs out."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

Gabrielle smiled faintly at Eugen, thankful for his mantle. It was significantly warmer than what she was wearing already, and was thankful for the mercenary's kindness. She understood what Eugen meant too, and a plan formed in her mind.

"I've got it. We take the armour to Syrcora and ask for something in return to aid us. She then gets to extract an artifact as per her mission. Then we go to the castle, which is much more fortified, and learn what we can unless we do before then."

It wasn't a foolproof plan at any rate, but it would get them moving again. Gabrielle was more worried that inaction would harm things more than doing something at all. Even if it wasn't the right thing.

15. - Top - End - #405

Karina frowned, considering. She still wasn't entirely comfortable with the thought, but Eugen's thoughts seemed well-reasoned, and if the armor did turn out to be cursed, the elves had been dealing with such things far longer than the Empire. Perhaps they would know how to contain such things. had not Magnus the Pious entrusted their people to guide the Empire upon the treacherous path of magic?

"I...suppose." She said, hesitantly. "We can do little good for the city if a lucky stroke ends our lives, and the plan seems sound enough. But how are you sure the elf will agree? What 'mission' do you mean?"

16. - Top - End - #406
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Axel returned to the group hearing the group discuss what they should do next he tried his best to ignore the beastly warrior's decapitated corpse lying on the ground.

"If Ulla and the rest think they can handle things without our help, we should get moving better to be where we can do the most good than to stand around waiting on maybe's and could be's. If that elf woman said she had business for us perhaps we should go see her, the castle would be the most well defended area in town unlike the warehouse here I'm sure they will manage fine."

It seemed like the best course of action to him, the nobles already had the means to keep themselves safe but the rest of the town wasn't so lucky. With the militia not showing up they had only the town watch and the group to rely on to keep them safe.
    Last edited by Lt. Tibbles; 2013-10-02 at 06:37 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

The noblewoman looked to Karina and attempted to placate her with a smile. She understood why she would be nervous; the idea of Chaos was that it was chaotic. Anything could happen to that armour, but Gabrielle also understood that there were people in the world suited to dealing with such terrifying things.

"Syrcora's mission here is to gather artifacts from people like those we fight. Since she also wanted to meet us, I think she may have something that'll shed light on this whole situation. I'll be honest, I am just speculating but... What solid leads do we have yet?" she said with the faintest of smiles.

18. - Top - End - #408

The sister thought for a moment, then nodded. She was still unsure, but as Gabrielle said, they didn't have many leads. "As you say. I'd like a chance to talk with the elf, at least. If she has many dealings with artifacts of Chaos, perhaps she knows something of those markings we found at the murder scene...or who might have struck down the watchman."

The thought that someone had used sorcery to murder an unsuspecting man frightened her deeply. A blade in the back might be guarded against; a witch on the battlefield could be identified and faced. But an assassin who used the fell powers of Chaos to strike from the shadows? It could be anyone, and there was little defense save for blind luck and faith.

Thankfully, they seemed to have a surfeit of both.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

He sighed "if it is tainted it should be destroyed, if it is not tainted it is not an artefact. And the markings brand it as tainted even if no fell power is within it" he wasn't going to win this, he lacked the personality to convince them - it was sadly depressing.

"Take it if you want - but you have my warning about it, if you are caught with it a hanging would be a mercy" deciding to make one more attempt "we have shown ourselves to be true against the enemies of the night" looking to Alex and Katrina "would either the watch or the church be willing to sponsor us so that we can be armed - the watch saw us this night, and the church witnesses the aftermath of the battle with the hounds - and there goods would not reek of dark dealings".

Returning his gaze to Gabrielle and Eugen "I can of course not stop you on this course - but I will take no gold or payment from the workings of the Enemy" he, he might want to learn magic if he could - but that was different than this.

20. - Top - End - #410

Karina gave Ulrich a thoughtful look, considering the idea. The scholar had shown exceptional courage during the fight with the warrior...but his greatest asset definitely seemed to be his mind. "I'd like to speak to the elf first, the better to assess her intent. We're hardly selling this to an ironmonger or mercenary company - the elves have much knowledge of the Enemy. She may know how to lock it away or destroy it safely. If her intentions seem...less than honorable, Ulrich, then rest assured I shall stand with you. The church might indeed help us, but we'd have to work openly. Von Neurath might not mind that much - after tonight, he can hardly keep the presence of Chaos in the city a secret. That might be all to the good, though. Look at how they reacted."

The sister gestured at Andreas and the watchmen.

"Confronted by the worst threat to our souls that the world has to offer, and what do they do? For the most part, stand their ground. Fight. Win. And not an hour before, one of them was a petty criminal working against us! Certainly, his comrades fled, but there is steel even in the lowliest thief, if one knows where to look. We could rouse the city, set a fire in them, search out these Aspirants and drag them into the light!" Karina was growing more excited now. Intrigue, murder in back alleys, old hatreds left to fester in secret...these were not things she was comfortable with. But standing with Sigmar's heirs against the darkness, a hammer in her hand and faith in her heart? That was a different matter. "It would have to be done carefully, so as not to incite a mob, but if the city stands united, there will be no rock they can hide under!"

21. - Top - End - #411

HalflingPirate

At last, dawn has arrived, pushing back some of the shadows and hailed by seagull cries. The Nordenians still hesitate to leave their homes, though, leaving most streets eerily empty and quiet.

The Asurian Wonders store is clearly the greatest oddity in the docks of Norden. This imposing building is made not of stone or wood but of actual marble, its columns severe and plain if expertly built, its frieze depicting armored elves on chariots. The huge gate is particularly imposing and two armored guards bearing spears and shortbows are standing next to it, opening the gate as you close by. Evidently, Syrora was expecting you.

The elf is standing behind a large counter. She has changed into a different white cloak and wore a pair of silver earrings. Around her there are dozens of locked glass cases securely displaying a great variety of necklaces, pins, tiaras and many other kinds of jewelry while the floor is covered by a large mosaic depicting a lone tower on a bare isle. There are no windows-the store is lit by an array of lamps. Syrcora greets you with a polite gesture.

"Welcome to the Asurian Wonders. Apologies for not wishing you a good today, but we both know it will be anything but."

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

He had lost this one - so he let it go, arguing would not help him here.

Once they were away from the guard "hold a second" he took out the knife found in the warehouse - "found on one of the raiders, I didn't want to say anything in front of the guard. I believe it is ritualistic, perhaps sacrificial - almost certainly not magical. I will need time to look into the markings" looking to each of them "but if you see any markings similar to this, it is likely ill news. I would say to keep an eye around town".

"I would have mentioned earlier - but we have been busy".

If they wanted to see it he would pass it around, before carefully returning it to his pack.

Entering the shop he took a glance around - chiefly for anything that would show the woman to also be tainted, there were stories of evil elves after all.

"Morning" he muttered, it had been a long night, and now he had to tolerate the day.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d100)[75]
    Knowledge (Magic): (1d100)[57]

23. - Top - End - #413

Eugen Waibel

Eugen had continued to collect the warrior's armour, the plate, the chain, and even the leather underneith. Out of the breastplate, he constructed a makeshift box so that he could carry the other components more or less easily. Last, he put the greataxe in as well.
    He was thankful for Gabrielle's support, and her suggestion of bringing the armour to Syrcora probably was what had convinced Karina of that course of action. Well, Ulrich was still opposed, but if he really didn't want any money out of it, there would be more left for the rest of them, so that actually went to his advantage.

It was fairly interesting that he would carry around a sacrificial dagger when he was so strictly opposed to carry around tainted objects, but Eugen didn't say anything when Ulrich showed them what he had found.

The 'Asurian Wonders' was quite impressive indeed, and Eugen removed his hat and politely nodded at Syrcora when she greeted them, before discreetly looking around again.
    Obviously, it was Gabrielle who Syrcora really trusted, so it was probably her who should talk to her.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2013-10-04 at 04:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

Asurian wonders was not what Gabrielle had expected, but then, she was never sure what to expect when it came to elves. It seemed she'd managed to sway the group into going there first, though even so, she hoped that she wasn't proved wrong by how stable the castle was. She really didn't want to return and find a smoking ruin.

Even so, she tried to pay little attention to what was on offer in the shop and concentrate on talking to Syrcora. Even though the elf deigned to greet them, she really wish she had left the part about it being anything but a good day out.

"Thank you for the welcome," Gabrielle began. "We've come to discuss what it is you wanted to see us about. We also brought armour worn by one of the warehouse assailants, hoping you might have some safe place to put it."

25. - Top - End - #415

HalflingPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Ulrich notices that all locks are made from a specific alloy based on alchemically treated bronze, which facilitates the application of arcane lock spells.

Syrcora raises an eyebrow. "A full set of armor? Intriguing. Please lay it on the counter...

Yes, I was looking for you. Your baron's martial law has locked a chaos aspirant inside the town. Those beasts live and breath for the chance to become champions of their kind. The procedure varies, but for followers of the so-called Blood God it susally implies dozens of ritualistic killings through a specific *blessed* weapon. I can handle the weapon should I gain access to it but I'm no warrior.

Learning to what happened to foolish Asrai who keeps marring imperial impressions of my people would be desirable as well."

Syrcora opens a drawer, taking a large magnifying glass and some sort of dust, which she springles on the armor. About ten minutes pass as she checks its parts, walking around the counter and sometimes muttering in her native language.

"Hm...I don't see any sign of arcane properties, but the forces of Chaos can have an insidious influence. I would like to look into the matter furtherly. Would you wish to part with it? I coud offer a monetary incentive-say, 650 Karls?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Last but not least, you get 240 xp points each! Please note your advences as usual .
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-10-04 at 08:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416

Eugen Waibel

Meticulously, he did as Sycora told him, putting the various components of the armour on the counter, then stood by watching the elf woman.

650 gold coins! That was a better price than he had expected, a price that probably wouldn't have been met by any other trader in Norden, considering that the armour was used... and had symbols of chaos on them.
    For a short second, he considered haggling, as he usually always did... but elfs were fickle people, and he didn't dare insult her. Did elfs haggle, anyway?

650 gold coins... that would be, well, Ulrich had rejected his share - though Eugen wouldn't have been surprised if he reconsidered - so if everyone got 100 there were 250 left, and again 50 for everyone 50 left, and... well, about 160 for everyone. 162 and some silverlings.

That would be a good amount, enough for a shield, leather armour and the better part of chain as well - for everybody. Or whatever else they considered needed. Who could doubt him now?

Well, Gabrielle was leading the conversation, so it probably would be uncouth to interrupt it now. He just hoped Gabrielle shared his opinion on the money offered.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2013-10-04 at 09:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

"To me, six hundred and fifty karls would be fine. But it's best to ask my friends, really. By right they did more damage to the warrior than I did, so it's their choice," she said, looking to the others with a smile. It was their prize after all; Karina, Ulrich, Eugen and Axel all had a part to play in the warrior's downfall. She'd been busy with the werewolf during that time.

Besides, she didn't really know what to do with that kind of money herself. Maybe put it towards some more protection? Maybe a new weapon? She wasn't sure herself, but if she was allowed any of the money, a cloak or mantle for when it rained wouldn't be far off her list.

28. - Top - End - #418

Karina's eyes widened slightly. Six hundred and fifty karls! That sort of money could do a lot to aid their cause. She didn't think she had ever seen six hundred and fifty karls, let alone thought of selling something for that sum. The thought was tempting...and that worried her.

"A fine offer," she said, as casually as she dared. "And your insight on the cultists is helpful as well. If I may ask - how do you intend to protect yourself, in case the armor should prove tainted? I would not wish that on you or our consciences."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

Arcane locks - interesting but not unexpected for a shop with a mage he considered.

His eyes snapped to the elf at the mention of the knife - should he show her, her advise might be useful indeed, he had intended to rely on Magda.

When she confirmed the armour as likely junk he accepted it but than heard the figure who paid that for what was stated to likely be junk?
    . His mouth dried - with that money he could pay his tuition, he could get more books for his courses, he could ... be tempted, his eyes narrowed, as the others spoke.

He wanted to learn the arts of magic - if he could not resist the lure of gold he would be doomed against the forces that he was to master.

"No Gabrielle - I relinquished my claim on that" he supposed Eugen had truly earned it as he had scavenged it from the warrior, but it was not his place to say that either - the man's claim was his own.

Still the oddity of it meant he would trust his gut and keep the knife to himself and away from the elf.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Axel always marveled when he saw the Asurian Wonders the building was marvelous if not a little too flashy, but he supposed that's just how elves are. This being the first time inside the store the halfling was more than a little excited. He let his mind wander while he studied all the various items that Syrora had on display, it made hard to keep his attention on the conversation until the elf made her offer for the warrior's plate armor.

650 Karls!? Axel's jaw nearly dropped to the floor Gabrielle was right in getting the group to see this elf woman and Eugen also for bringing along the plate. When Gabrielle mentioned if everyone was ok with the price the halfling tried his best to keep the excitement out of his voice and remain professional.

*Cough* "Ahem, yes that seems like a fair price."

Hearing Ulrich still refuse his share surprised Axel, the man kept his word but still he worried for Ulrich.

"Perhaps you should reconsider at least get some armor Ulrich these aren't common thugs we're dealing with we can't rely on chance to keep us safe.

"Learning to what happened to foolish Asrai who keeps marring imperial impressions of my people would be desirable as well."

"You're talking about that fella that's locked up Siltherion right, you know him?"
    Last edited by Lt. Tibbles; 2013-10-04 at 01:53 PM.