New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Of murders, witch hunters and expeditions IC thread

Gabrielle and Eugen lay down in their respective beds. As it turns out, the mattresses of Castle Norden's bedσ are way too soft. People practically sink in them. Still, it is not too long until Gabrielle falls asleep. Eugen finds it a little harder to adapt, but he surrenders himself into Morr's arms soon enough.

Gabrielle dreams of being hunted. Scores of flying monsters fly behind around her, crying for her to stop and join them. Some of them sound like her father. She just can't get them off her...

Eugen dreams of might and power, of victory and glory. He feels the surge of strength and wrath that filled him when he fought of Wolfgar the mercenary as a strong, authoritative voice assures him that he could feel like this again very, very soon...

And suddenly they're woken up. At 4 a.m. Nothing good happens when you're woken up at 4 a.m.

It is no other than Johannes von Neurath himself, along with his nephew Siegfried and guard Rudolf. They are armored and armed to the teeth.

"It is time for action. A group of unknowns just tried to spring or silence Siltharion the elf. We will hunt the foul infidels and bring Sigmar's justice to them. Your job is to gather the rest of your group and look for any suspicious activities in town. Everyone breaking curfew is a suspect. Do you understand?" says Johannes von Neurath.
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-28 at 03:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242

HalflingPirate

Axel drinks his beer in peace. Brigitte won't accept his money for his food and drink and thanks hin omce again. He returns at his home, at last, has a bath and gets to sleep. Nothing bothers the halfling's peaceful rest...

...that is, until he's woken up. At 4.a.m. The grand truth that Nothing Good Happens When You're Woken Up At 4 a.m. is once again confirmed as a watchman's bell rings and a young woman shouts "4 a.m. and all's not well at all!" before she knocks on Axel's door.

The halfling recognises blue-eyed Ulla Schneider with her short copper hair, one of the Watch's few female members. She speaks very quickly and anxiously.

"Axel, thank Ulric! Sorry to wake you up but it's all gone to hell-the walls were breached! The marshal is nowhere to be found, so the captain ordered us to search for the invaders! He also wanted the militia to help but only the marshal has the authority to do it, so Drolufson told him to stuff it, the captain was insulted and attacked Drolufson and the dwarf knocked him out cold. It's all chaos out there. Axel...five of us died from arrows and we didn't even see them. Me and a few of the lads are making patrols and have been asking help from any willing militaman...as a son of Norden, will you help us? The entire city might be in danger! We need you and anyone you might trust!

Here, have those two torches. I must go and meet my squad at the south gate. Ulric protect you!"

Ulla turns and leaves in a hurry.
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-27 at 02:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243

Karina bolted upright at the first noise at the door, one hand reaching next to the bed for her hammer. She only relaxed her grip upon seeing the innkeeper and her unexpected guest. As she listened, she wondered if she was still trapped in the nightmare. She took a deep breath. Was there time to summon her companions? No, likely not. The crime was still fresh, and it was time she saw this killer's rituals with her own eyes.

"Of course, lad. Allow me a moment to dress and then you may take me to the body. Are you armed?" Without waiting for an answer, she turned to Jonas. "I won't ask you to break curfew, sir, but if you could get a message to..." She paused. Eugen and Gabrielle were at the castle - chances are the innkeeper wouldn't be able to get a message past the guards, even if he could find someone to carry it. "To Axel or the scholar Ulrich, I'd be grateful. The halfling's at home, and I think Ulrich went back for lodgings at the Tower."

A silent prayer to Sigmar flashed through the sister's mind as she began to cast about for her gear. She hoped the others were having a more restful night than she was...

4. - Top - End - #244

Eugen Waibel

Eugen sat up in his bed, exhausted from the rude awakening. The dream he had had was slowly starting to slip away, but he forcefully brought it back. It had been about his fight with Wolfgar, he had been reliving it, the feelings he'd had. Then that strong, authorative voice, the promises of victory and glory...

A feeling of dread crept in, as Eugen suddenly realised that it hadn't been a nightmare. Far from it, actually. It had felt good, somehow right, and it was true... he had felt like this yesterday, when he had defeated that amateur. No, when he had killed him.

Another powerful knock at the door brought him back to the here and now, and he rose to answer the door. It was the witch hunter with his retinue. The sight startled him somehow, but he managed to stand and listen.

The discipline he had learned in the regiment kicked back in. "At once." Eugen answered mechanically, then went back in the room to put on his clothes, leather jack and chainmail armour with fast, but controlled movements. He grabbed his weapons and shield, and donned his feathered hat last, stepping out into the corridor.

Somehow, he was eager to fight. He was looking forward to bring Sigmar's justice to those infidels. With his sword.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2013-08-28 at 03:38 AM.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Axel groggily awoke to Ulla's shouting getting up he answered the door, listening to her report the halfling's eyes widened in disbelief.

"Yes of course Ulla I'll go get my gear, Sigmar protect us!"

Running back into his room Axel put on his gear along with the militia's tabard, heading to the door he hesitates before opening it bracing himself for the worst he steps outside and begins looking for other militia members to help out.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

As soon as her head hit the pillow, Gabrielle was just happy to have somewhere to rest. The day had been long for her, at any rate, and she couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt. Eugen didn't deserve the treatment from the substeward. She'd wanted to say more but exhaustion had just took her over. She'd curled up and fell asleep almost instantly.

Unfortunately her dreams were no place to rest. No, nightmares. Flying creatures... Chasing her. Join them? Never! She wouldn't. Would she? Her father... Why was he there? It made no sense.

Johannes von Neurath's interruption was almost like a weight off her shoulders. She hadn't quite sprung into action, but she'd pulled on her clothes and made sure she had her weapons at her belt. She had plenty of them, yes, but she favoured her foil the most of all. The main gauche ended up more as an offhand.

Gabrielle almost stumbled into the hallway, her mind whirling, when she caught sight of Eugen. He looked ready for this. She couldn't help but break a grin; old habits really do die hard. Still, their objective was clear... To find the others. She hoped they'd fared better.

"Ready?" she asked him, starting to make her way towards the drawbridge. "If we're lucky nothing else has happened... Then again, since when are we lucky?"

Despite what was happening she thought it best not to have her horse with her this time. If she had to enter buildings and such, it wouldn't be easy to leave him outside. No, he'd be staying at the castle. Besides, they'd probably not run into any trouble.

7. - Top - End - #247

Eugen Waibel

"It was a short night, but yes." Eugen replied. Gabrielle herself seemed a little exhausted, but she didn't seem scared, despite the fact they would be hunting cultists that night. She probably expected them to be long gone, and he was inclined to agree.
    He gave her a pained grin. "True, we're not. What remains is to find out in which way we are unlucky tonight - either the cultists are long gone or all hell has broken loose in Norden."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

He was at least more amused by Brigitte now that she had simple over looked him entirely rather than snubbed him.

"Indeed pastry for you, and some spices for Adelbert - and a bed would be welcome, thank you", in truth he had wanted to study more but sleep was probably wiser.

Taking a minute to recover from being woken "News. None good I am afraid - the Rotschwert company is engaged in murder from the tales this may be frequent or an accident - but some enjoy it, animals are aggressive - as are people, there is a elf that wishes to meet us and another that is jailed".

He blinked the colours from his eyes as he spoke.

At the word assumption he looked at her "I have an unlikely theory - if the murders are ritual components than this could be all part of a cataclysmic event - but that is something for more knowledgeable than me to consider".

"I will return to the tavern and see if they can be located" nodding to her "thank you for your hospitality".

With that he moved off to the tavern.

9. - Top - End - #249

HalflingPirate

The cold night unfolds in confusion and hesitation. From far away shouts or the occasional bell can be heard, but the active watchemen are evidently too few-a light too small in a town drowned in darkness. Some torches and lamps are lit and immediately extinguished, windows are fractionally opened only to be barred again by terrified citizens. No one dares to come out.

One after another, the members of our group gather.

At Karina's words Rudi Ackerman panicked. The cleric's will and warm words eventually managed to calm him and he agreed to lead her to the place of the murder.He is clearly in no shape to fight even if her had a weapon though.

Axel tried in vain to call upon the members of the militia that lived close to him, but somehow Borun Drolufson had already sent word, ordering the militiamen to stay at their homes and protect them instead of joining the watch until the Marshal or the Baron give the command. It seems to him that it was what most of them wanted to hear. Thankfully, Axel soon met Karina heading out of the Twopenny Inn with a shivering young man.

Jonas the inkeeper went and found Ulrich himself. Although a comical sight in his coat, bed gown and sleeping hat, he seemed resolute and led the student quickly to his comrades.

Eugen and Gabrielle didn't actually meet anyone breaking curfew. the occasional group of watchmen told them of shadows with feline reflexes and demonic accuracy. Still, the mercenary and the noble met no civilian or assailant themselves until they joined their companions.

You are now standing in the northeastern side of Karolineplatz, next to the huge statue of the former Baroness. The alley that Rudi mentioned is just around the corner, about twenty meters from you.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Seeing Karina, Axel runs over to her calling out.

"Sister! I'm glad to see you're safe it looks like things have already gotten outta of hand, the walls have been breached, the Marshall's missing and Drolufson knocked out the Captain of the Watch, and 5 of my comrades in the militia have been killed by unseen snipers!!!"

The halfling did a quick turn around running his hand through his curly and swearing under his breath, the thoughts of which of his fellow militiamen had been killed swarmed inside of his head. How many of those 5 were his close friends? The thought of losing more people to the cult put a heavy weight on Axel's heart, he took a moment to compose himself before noticing the others, approaching.

"This is bad, we need to root out these invaders and put a stop to them before they kill anyone else!"

11. - Top - End - #251

HalflingPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Um...the dead were watchmen, not militia men. Of course, Axel may have simply been confused or he may have truly considered the watch to be the militiamen's brothers in arms. Just saying .

12. - Top - End - #252

"They're not the only ones, Axel," Karina replied grimly. "May Sigmar guard their way to Morr's embrace." She waved the others over as they approached, keeping one eye on Rudi. He seemed jumpy, and if something unexpected happened she didn't want him fleeing into the night. If the watch or militia didn't arrest him - or, Sigmar forbid, shoot him down in a fit of nerves - something else might be waiting. On top of that, she still wanted to question him for details.

"Ulrich, I'm glad the innkeep found you. Eugen, Gabrielle, good to see you both here. Sigmar has gathered us together once more. This lad - " she placed a steadying hand on the boy's shoulder. " - Is Rudi Ackerman, the brother of one of the girls I spoke with earlier. He's found another body, cut into four pieces." She grimaced. "And Axel says there's someone inside the walls killing folk. I don't know if they're connected, or if the murderer's trying to use the confusion as a cover."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

Smiling at the sister "good to see you well with all the grief that seems to be occurring tonight" turning to a frown "I have it on good authority that this is all a deception - or I suppose a distraction. But we should see the body" two woman, and two fighting men "in case of an ambush I should take point" looking to Axel and Eugen "in case I got shot it would be better for you to be healty to deal with it than the other way around".

He didn't like the plan as it involved him likely getting shot - but if one of the others got shot he would likely be shot afterwards anyway, where they might be better at dealing with the attacker.

"Shall we" he directed to the alley with his hand before moving up.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

Gabrielle was thankful that Eugen and herself made it to the others with no troubles at all. From the sounds of it, things were just getting worse with each passing moment. And she was sure Axel said something about the Marshal when they arrived...

Even so, what really took her by surprise was Ulrich's offer to go in front. He was being brave... Perhaps a little foolhardy, but she saw where his thinking was coming from. She had a greater respect for him already. Still, they were no way near out of the fire yet, and she didn't want to tell him not to make his choice.

Instead she followed on, drawing her weapons and keeping them close, should the worst happen.

15. - Top - End - #255

Eugen Waibel

"You're braver than I had assumed, Ulrich." Eugen said with a mixture of surprise and contemplation. Or he was simply suicidal, he was a younger man than him, maybe Brigitte's rejection had weighed heavier on him than he had let on.
    "But we're not desperate enough yet to need a bait."
    Determined, Eugen raised his shield and stepped forward. "I'll take point." He felt confident. If those cultists were still at the scene of the crime, they wouldn't have anything to counter him.

16. - Top - End - #256

HalflingPirate

The group enters the dark, cobbled alley. The corpse of the slaughtered man lies at the far end of the alley, his blood smearing the walls in a stylised pattern and somehow still pulsing. Four dogs have already found the unlucky man and begun devouring his flesh and licking the blood: a mongrel boxer, a doberman, a mastill and a german shepherd mongrel. As you enter, the dogs raise their eyes at you, their eyes flash red...and they cease to be representatives of the canine race.

Suddenly, the boxer grows a blood red mane of hair, not unlike a male lion's. The mastiff grows powerful ram horns.The doberman's flesh hardens and stiffens, and in a few seconds it becomes a living, breathing creature of solid gold. As for the shepherd...it howls in pain as large lizard wings sprout from its back, its head becomes elongated and grows horns, its eyes turn pure crimson without any whites and its fur thickens.

All four leave the corpse and turn their attention to you in malice and hunger. The battle is now on!

Spoiler
    Show
    All dogs but the shepherd are currently 8 squares away from your vanguard(the shepherd is 11 squares away). The alley is 4-squares wide.
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-30 at 08:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257

HalflingPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:
    Axel: (1d10+46)[49]
    Eugen: (1d10+23)[28]
    Gabrielle: (1d10+41)[50]
    Karina: (1d10+41)[49]
    Ulrich: (1d10+31)[35]
    Boxer: (1d10+30)[34]
    Doberman (1d10+35)[42]
    Mastiff (1d10+30)[36]
    Shepherd (1d10+36)[42]

Initiative order:

1. Gabrielle
    2. Axel
    3. Karina
    4. Doberman
    5. Shepherd
    6. Mastiff
    7. Ulrich
    8. Boxer
    9. Eugen

Gabrielle, you're up!

Oh, I almost forgot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At the end of the encounter, we're rolling for Insanity...
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-30 at 02:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

At first Gabrielle was only disgusted by the mutilation, and the dogs came second in her mind. After their change, well... She felt a little more uneasy, to tell the truth. She'd have to pick a target, because there was no way these 'dogs' looked friendly.

The only one that didn't make her feel completely sick was the boxer. Rapier first, she moved in to attack the beast, hoping to bring it down quickly. Gabrielle hoped that this would be easier than it looked. Throwing caution to the wind, she charged at the beast, fear being pushed to the back of her mind for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charging, rolling WS to hit
    (1d100)[74]

19. - Top - End - #259

HalflingPirate

Gabrielle's valiant assault was not quick enough in order to strike the mutated beast...

It's Axel's turn!

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Axel was horrified by what he saw, never in his life had he witnessed magic before and yet here it was this...heresy had been preformed right infront of their very eyes it was enough to make his stomach turn 3 times over. As the halfling watched Gabrielle take a stab at the boxer his heart sank just a bit as he watched her miss, they were fast, and here he was hoping that the process of their mutation would've slowed them down at least for a time. Saying a quick prayer to Sigmar under his breath Axel raised his bow pulled back took sometime to aim and let loose an arrow right in the Shepard's direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aimed Standard Ranged Attack
    (1d100)[8]
    Target 56

21. - Top - End - #261

HalflingPirate

Despite the poor illumination, Axel's arrow strikes true piercing the shepherd's body!

Damage: (1d10)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The damage rolls already include armor point and TB reduction, which is why Axel's roll became a +0 instead of a +3 for the bow.

Go Karina, go!
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-31 at 02:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262

For a moment, Karina stood frozen in shock. "The Enemy is upon us." She whispered, watching the beast's vile transformations. To think that something so unnatural could happen right before her eyes...suddenly, as Gabrielle charged forward and Axel fired, the fear was gone. There was only righteous fury. Could she let the others stand without her?

"Rudi, get the watch!" She urged, pushing the young man back as she surged forward. Her eyes locked with the doberman's as she raised her hammer. "For SIGMAR!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Charging the doberman: (1d100)[18] vs 46

Damage roll (if applicable): (1d10)[10]

23. - Top - End - #263

Spoiler
    Show
    Wheeeeeee, Sigmar's Ulric's fury! Relevant rolls:

To hit: (1d100)[31] vs. 46
    Damage: (1d10)[3]

24. - Top - End - #264

HalflingPirate

The doberman tries to grab Karina's arm between its jaws, but there is no stopping to her righteous fury. With a mighty swing she smashes its right leg, causing a shower of blood. It dies seconds later.

The shepherd flaps its wings and flies behind Gabrielle trying to catch her open, whereas the Mastiff rushes at Karina, more like a bull than a dog. Seeing the flying doberman, Rudi whimpers and slips.

Spoiler
    Show

Doberman:(1d100)[83] Bite damage, if applicable:
    (1d10-1)[1]
    Mastiff:(1d100)[58] Bite damage, if applicable:
    (1d10-3)[5]
    Gabrielle's parrying attempt, if applicable:(1d100)[100]

Both the priestess and the noble stand their ground successfully!

Ulrich, time to lead the counterattack!
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-31 at 09:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulrich

Seeing the mercenary want to take point he shrugged "your area of expertise not mine, so if you think it is best", the man did have a shield after all and likely more training in dealing with dangerous situations.
    It irked a little, but logic must prevail.

The dogs turned monsters were ... interesting. It seemed in some cases like direct chimerism - which if they also bred true would be worrying.

Seeing the other act he stepped up himself racing in to assist the Noble woman with the Boxer who looked like it might be thinking of attack.

He was not a great sword man - but hopefully he had picked up the basics on the road.

Spoiler
    Show

Weapon Skill (Target 52 (+10 charge, +10 Outnumbered 2 to one on the Boxer*): (1d100)[91]

Damage: (1d10+3)[4]

Incase of Ulric's Fury:
    To hit: (1d100)[61]
    Damage: (1d10)[2]

*Not sure if it counts as outnumbering given the shepherd - but since he is not the focus of the attacks I think it might be all right.

26. - Top - End - #266

HalflingPirate

Ulrich's plan was sound, but the execution was not the ideal. The boxer turns its attention to him, roars and attacks him!

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d100)[84] Damage: [roll]1d10[roll].

Ulrich is prepared, though, and stays away from its jaws.

This is a job for Eugen!
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-08-31 at 12:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267

Eugen Waibel

That... unnatural sight was not what he had expected. That dark, twisted creatures, their shrieks and claws and horns... he had never seen anything like that. He felt sick inside. For a moment he stood still, in defensive, and watched the others storm in beside him.

It was just a moment, but to Eugen, it seemed like an eternity... That dreadful, winged creature landing behind Gabrielle finally brought him to his senses.

Eugen rushed in, striking fast and viciously at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know whether I'm close enough to do a glorious swift attack again, If I'm not, just take the first roll and damage as a charge attack instead.

(1d100)[96] vs 39
    (1d100)[93] vs 39

Damage: (1d10)[10]+4
    Damage 2: (1d10)[5]+4

28. - Top - End - #268

HalflingPirate

Eugen boldly charges forward, only to be pushed back by the creature's left wing! The former shepherd snarls at him then turns its focus on Gabrielle
    once again.

Go for broke, Gabrielle!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Gabrielle

Gabrielle's miss made her curse under her breath. The low light wasn't helping things, but as it happened, it seemed Karina and Axel were on form. Ulrich was doing well, despite having as much luck as herself. Eugen was also trying, but that damn Shepard was causing some major problems. In the back of her mind, she felt sick... It had wings. Like her dream.

Even so, she took aim with her rapier, trying to bring the beast down as quickly as possible. Part of her just hoped that whatever corrupted them wouldn't be passed on..

Spoiler
    Show

Aimed attack (+10% WS): (1d100)[73] vs. 40

30. - Top - End - #270

HalflingPirate

Despite her attention to detail, the Shepherd blocks Gabrielle's blade with its horns.

Time to show us what a militiaman can do, Axel!
    Last edited by Teucros; 2013-09-01 at 05:26 AM.