New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Just making sure I have this straight.

Nale and Zz'dtri are badly injured, fresh out of greater dispel and fighting a vampire who's probably got a somewhat higher CR than the one they just destroyed?

My personal interpretation is that barring special attacks (or massive damage), teeth don't start flying until you are pretty close to 0 hp. (not that Rich has to follow that, it just seems reasonable)

Granted, Durkon is probably pretty low on spells by now, but he was probably a higher level cleric than Malack.

Oh, and also he's got the staff.

Seems like Nale miscalulated somewhat.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Just making sure I have this straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Aasimar View Post
    Nale and Zz'dtri are badly injured, fresh out of greater dispel and fighting a vampire who's probably got a somewhat higher CR than the one they just destroyed?

My personal interpretation is that barring special attacks (or massive damage), teeth don't start flying until you are pretty close to 0 hp. (not that Rich has to follow that, it just seems reasonable)

Granted, Durkon is probably pretty low on spells by now, but he was probably a higher level cleric than Malack.

Oh, and also he's got the staff.

I think it was more like a calculated but somewhat necessary risk, like Redcloak killing Tsukiko: Failing to act at that juncture would have meant Xykon knows the truth and the plan goes up in smoke. It's a similar thing here: If Nale just waited for Tarquin to return Malack would exact his revenge, so he took the risk of killing him and then trying to sweet talk Durkon. However unlike Redcloak with his admission of offing Tsukiko, it didn't pan out so well.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #3

GreenSorcererElf

And keep in mind that Nale has at least one more use of Dimension Door left, so he's not dead yet by any means.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

That remains to be seen.

It's not yet clear that Durkula is fighting to the death here. He may just want to rough them up for being *******s. Alternatively he may realize halfway through the fight that he needs to rescue the order instead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Similar great miscalculations:

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances." ~ Grand Moff Tarkin

"I insist." ~ Calvin Candie

"You think you have power over me? Stupid girl. You'll never stop me. You don't have th—" ~ Caleb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances." ~ Grand Moff Tarkin

"You think you have power over me? Stupid girl. You'll never stop me. You don't have th—" ~ Caleb
    "Tell Xykon of course!" ~ Tsukiko
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    "Tell Xykon of course!" ~ Tsukiko
    “I am invincible!” ~ Boris Grishenko

I’m not sure I caught onto anything that evidences that. What makes you think that Durkon was higher level?
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

8. - Top - End - #8

Resurrection.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Resurrection.
    Resurrection is a 7th level spell. You only have to be 13th level to cast it. You have to be at least 15th level to create mummies with create undead.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

He took a calculated risk. Malack had to be eliminated, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, if Nale was to secure his own safety. He then tried to sweet talk Durkula. It didn't work, but that doesn't mean Nale himself is dead - Dimension Door is still available to him. So even if Durkula ignores his friends' plight and focuses solely on the Linear Guild, Nale can at least bail.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

11. - Top - End - #11

Durkon is level 14, Malack was level 12. See the class and level geekery thread for details. Also Dimension Door might not save Nale. Where is he going to go within 800 feet at best? Even if Durkon has no spells available that might help him catch up, he can transform in a dire wolf now. Also, even if Nale manages to escape, he is still in the desert. Would not count out Z saving them with a escape spell though.
    Last edited by Zerter; 2013-08-02 at 01:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a vampire Durkon also gets Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, and immunity to the mind-affecting spells that Nale loves so much (eg, Charm Person, Suggestion).

If I'm reading the rules right, Durkon's domination gaze bypasses Z's spell resistance.

Not that I think the scene will be based on rules. I'm just agreeing that, in general, Team Nale is pretty hosed.
    Last edited by Fish; 2013-08-02 at 01:24 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Resurrection is a 7th level spell. You only have to be 13th level to cast it. You have to be at least 15th level to create mummies with create undead.
    Malack created those mummies with his staff. That's not a great indication of level, because we don't know what was involved in making the staff. If Malack had sevenths, he wouldn't have spent his last action on a paltry Slay Living. The Giant agrees that sixth level spells are the most Malack has.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post

"Oh, how it pains me to do this!"
    "Wait! I still function!"
    "Wanna bet?" ~ Starscream, Megatron

"Who disrupts my coronation?"
    "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy."
    "Megatron? Is that you?"
    "Here's a hint!" ~ Starscream, Galvatron

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Durkon can't have many good spells left, either, and he's hardly experienced at his powers.

And, of course, Nale is still under the protection of his potion.

My guess is that very little happens, Nale and Zz'drit go away and Durkon goes to help the Order.

Right now, the most interesting things, to me, is how Durkon integrates with the order and how Tarquin deals with Malack's death.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    "Oh, how it pains me to do this!"
    "Wait! I still function!"
    "Wanna bet?" ~ Starscream, Megatron

"Who disrupts my coronation?"
    "Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy."
    "Megatron? Is that you?"
    "Here's a hint!" ~ Starscream, Galvatron
    "You'll be shot for this!" ~ Hans Landa

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

If Nale was prepared to handle whatever Malack threw at him he should have little difficulty dispelling Durkon's Protection spells and watching him burn.

That said Durkon has all kinds of narrative protection going. Nale is in deep trouble.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    If Nale was prepared to handle whatever Malack threw at him he should have little difficulty dispelling Durkon's Protection spells and watching him burn.

That said Durkon has all kinds of narrative protection going. Nale is in deep trouble.
    Nale *spent* what he had prepared on Malack--or rather, Z did. The fact that he could take down one vampire cleric's protection spell does not automatically mean he can take down another one's.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

If Nale was prepared to take down Malack he will have needed to keep back contingencies. The reason Malack didn't WoR out of there was it was more dramatic to have him attack Nale instead. That does mean Z should have a few extra spells as a contingency for anything Malack did before he burnt. At the ABSOLUTE minimum he should have an extra GDM or two for Malack's spare Protection from Daylight.

He won't or Durkon will prove to be more prepared than Malack was (but not more than Malack should have been) but if Nale's plan was within one GDM of failing and required Malack to be completely oblivious it shoudn't have worked.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Malack created those mummies with his staff.
    Ah, I forgot that. Thanks.

21. - Top - End - #21

All the people who are saying they can just dispel Durkon's protection - Remember that the staff itself has more uses.

And I don't think Nale is going to be able to swipe the staff from Durkon. He's likely stronger than Mallack, and he's actually paying attention.

22. - Top - End - #22

If Nale was prepared to take down Malack he will have needed to keep back contingencies. The reason Malack didn't WoR out of there was it was more dramatic to have him attack Nale instead. That does mean Z should have a few extra spells as a contingency for anything Malack did before he burnt. At the ABSOLUTE minimum he should have an extra GDM or two for Malack's spare Protection from Daylight.
    How quickly things change. Yesterday, half the board was convinced that Z and Nale could not possibly be more prepared than Malack. Now we're arguing that Z and Nale are tactical masterminds who cannot lose?

Nale and Z are exactly as prepared as they could afford to be. There's no guarantee of backup plans, contingencies, Plan B, extra spells ... but also no ruling them out. Maybe they're prepared to fight two vampires. Maybe not.

Me, I say "probably not." But there's no evidence, no rationale for saying yes or no either way, with any more than 50% certainty. Flip a quatloo, who knows. Whatever happens next is the story Rich wants to tell, not the ideal munchkin attack scenario.
    Last edited by Fish; 2013-08-02 at 06:38 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Not necessarily. As Nale pointed out himself, he watched Malack spend his second protection from daylight on Durkon, which may be the only thing that made his plan viable.

As for the word of recall, all Z would need to prevent it is a dimensional anchor, which won't help defeat Durkon at all.

He won't or Durkon will prove to be more prepared than Malack was (but not more than Malack should have been) but if Nale's plan was within one GDM of failing and required Malack to be completely oblivious it shoudn't have worked.
    Nale did want to attack Malack before Malack could attack him, but he could not possibly have anticipated the perfect situation he ended up in. If that had not happened, Nale would have delayed the double-cross until a more opportune moment -- perhaps even delaying long enough that he could instruct Z to prepare his entire suite of spells to thwart Malack's possible protections.

That the perfect moment arrived and he seized it immediately does not mean that Nale planned for the double-cross to happen anytime soon.

Nale may not be in a situation where he can defeat Durkon.

24. - Top - End - #24

Malack didn't create mummies. He animated mummified corpses. His level was explicitly stated to be lower than Durkon's. Nale may not have prepared to kill Durkon, he just knew that he'd never have a better chance to kill Malack and it would be certain death not to. His choices in #906 were perfect. In #907, not so much.

He didn't foolishly pick a fight with a vampire cleric he couldn't win against, he avoided having a fight with TWO vampire clerics he couldn't win against, and then tried to talk his way out of the other fight. It wasn't great, but he had to kill Malack right then. The fact that he may not have had a plan for Durkon does not mean killing Malack was a mistake.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

25. - Top - End - #25

It depends what you think Nale's plan was.

Plan: wait until Malack has expended both his Pro: Daylight spells. The most likely scenario is "burned his prepared spell to cast a spontaneous infliction." Nale likely knew Malack was loath to have more children.
    Resources needed: sunlight, Greater Dispel, potion of Neg Energy Protection, Dimension Door (if GDM fails), Teleport (if Disarm fails).
    Time needed: 1 round.
    Odds: 2 dice rolls (disarming and dispelling)

Plan: wait until Malack was in the sunlight.
    Resources: sunlight, 2 GDMs, potion of Neg Energy Protection, Dimension Door, Teleport.
    Time needed: 2 rounds minimum.
    Odds: 3 dice rolls (Disarm, consecutive successful dispels)

If you assume that latter was Nale's plan, then it was a riskier plan ... but yes, he would have a backup spell.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    It depends what you think Nale's plan was.

Plan: wait until Malack has expended both his Pro: Daylight spells. The most likely scenario is "burned his prepared spell to cast a spontaneous infliction." Nale likely knew Malack was loath to have more children.
    Resources needed: sunlight, Greater Dispel, potion of Neg Energy Protection, Dimension Door (if GDM fails), Teleport (if Disarm fails).
    Time needed: 1 round.
    Odds: 2 dice rolls (disarming and dispelling)

Plan: wait until Malack was in the sunlight.
    Resources: sunlight, 2 GDMs, potion of Neg Energy Protection, Dimension Door, Teleport.
    Time needed: 2 rounds minimum.
    Odds: 3 dice rolls (Disarm, consecutive successful dispels)

If you assume that latter was Nale's plan, then it was a riskier plan ... but yes, he would have a backup spell.
    I don't think Plan 2 could have been it. I think that if Malack had cast another Protection from Daylight it would essentially hit the "reset" button on his death by sunlight, meaning dispelling it would cause him to die in two more rounds, not one, giving him another action. They took steps to make sure he couldn't cast it again, after all. Maybe Z had another GDM, but their plan was already a "worst case scenario" type of thing to only be tried because they were desperate. Well, Nale was desperate. Not sure of Z's motivations. However, counterspelling is easier than having another GDM prepared. Maybe that was the contingency and Z didn't have to use it because Malack used a spell Nale was immune to.

Edit: is that a belt of gender swapping on your avatar, Fish? On an angry-looking fighter with a short haircut, no less?
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2013-08-02 at 07:33 PM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If smashing his teeth will prevent teleport this might put a very definitive end to the calls for more Zz'drit character growth. We all know the Nale will run when things go bad.
    Last edited by luc258; 2013-08-02 at 07:43 PM.
    Team Forum Nitpickers, IFCC pawn

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

To those arguing that Nale and Z must have a plan that includes dealing with Durkon:

Running away is still a plan to deal with Durkon. Nale may have decided to try his luck on the recruitment thing because he figures they can survive long enough to escape if it doesn't work. The prize here was Malack, Durkon could have been a bonus but as long as they escape with a hp apiece it's still a massive victory.

29. - Top - End - #29

I think Nale's plan was more a general "wait for a good chance to dispel Malack's sunlight immunity", and the circumstances just turned out to be better than he had expected (daytime in a desert with no shelter in sight, and Malack specifically said he's used both prepared castings already). If he'd been forced to take a less-ideal opportunity, he would have tried to improvise somehow (maybe a trip or grapple attempt or something to interrupt recasting if a second dispel shot for the counterspell either wasn't available or failed to work.)

30. - Top - End - #30

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by luc258 View Post
    If smashing his teeth will prevent teleport this might put a very definitive end to the calls for more Zz'drit character growth. We all know the Nale will run when things go bad.
    Are you kidding? Zz'drti hates talking so much, I can hardly imagine him not having Silent Spell.