New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2.5 - Snowed In

[This is a ultra-short solo adventure reserved for Odentin. The third true instalment of the series will require a bit more preparation.]

December 21

Maxwell University, Chicago

It began snowing at around three in the afternoon on the last school day of the winter term. By four, most of the city’s snow blowers were hard at work; all flights out of O’Hare International Airport had been cancelled or delayed, to the distress of anyone who needed to be in New York or LA for Christmas. By five, news anchors were reporting the largest snowstorm the area had seen in a decade. Maxwell University’s students completed their last exams in a hurry in hopes of catching a bus before all transportation in the Windy City became hopelessly paralyzed.

As always at this time of the year at this latitude, night had long fallen by six o’clock. By then, the campus was almost entirely deserted except for some staff and a few harried students who still needed the library to finish an essay due at midnight. The red brick buildings of Maxwell University were bathed in the glow of Christmas lights – holiday lights for the politically correct – reflected by the thick carpet of snow. And the storm still showed no sign of abating.

Adam Correll was among the last students on campus; these past few weeks, his archery practice had taken some time away from his studies, forcing him to work extra hard and extra late to pass all of his courses. He had just handed in his last essay to Mr Milliken as the elderly teacher was about to leave his office for the holiday. Many people thought Adam needed to get his priorities straight. For his part, Adam knew that all his hours spent sticking arrows into targets this week had been well worth it: tomorrow night was an Illinois-wide archery tournament, to which he had earned a spot by having the best average accuracy in Maxwell University’s archery club. The Illinois tournament, in turn, was an important rung in the ladder to the United States’ Olympic archery team.

The last of his schoolwork now behind him until mid-January, Adam hurried to the sports building to retrieve the competition bow he stored in his locker before the place closed down for the holiday period. Except for a grumpy-looking janitor on the first floor, the entire building, while still nominally open, was every bit as deserted as the rest of the university. Once he got his bow and arrows back, Adam began to head out, but stopped when he heard sound from the archery practice room, just around the corner. He peered inside and saw a short, slightly-built girl with short blond hair and glasses shooting arrows at a target in quick succession with an intent expression on her face.

Allison Keating; of course she would be here, snowstorm or not. Allison had a few predictable patterns, one of them being that she trained in archery every evening of the week between five and six, not a minute more or less. It was a habit she had imposed on herself last year while patiently preparing to unmask and take down the murderer of her brother Ian. Now, despite the killer being in a psychiatric ward until he was fit to stand trial, Allison clearly saw no reason to stop training.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-06 at 04:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Campus Vigilantes 2.5 - Snowed In

Adam swallows hard and shakes his head, trying to get the pounding of his own heart out of his ears, Now or never. Last day of term. Now or never...

He pushes the door open and enters the practice area, remaining silent until she finishes her set. Once she does, he clears his throat, to get her attention, "Uh, hey Ally. You're here a bit late, aren't you?"
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-03 at 11:00 PM.
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Allison started at the sound of Adam's voice, but recovered quickly, blew a stray lock of hair away from her face and gave Adam a warm smile.

"Oh, look who's talking - the one who always trains until ten. So I hear you're in the tournament tomorrow?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-03 at 10:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I said he waits for her to finish.

He smiles, blushing, "I live on campus, now. I have an excuse." He clears his throat again, finding it (and his mouth) rather dry, "Yeah, I am. The, uh, the Olympics commission said I have to. Don't really wanna go out in this weather, though." A third time, he has to clear his throat, and he reaches back to see if he left a water bottle in his pack, "So...uh. You heading home for the break?"
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-03 at 11:00 PM.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oops, sorry. Fixed.

Allison looked half embarrassed, half sad.

"Uh... not really. I mean, it's not like I have a better place to be than here. My family was never really the same since... you know... the Halloween Massacre. I can't begin to explain what it was like to get asked by everyone what it's like to have a murderer in the family. My parents ended up divorced, my father went back to Seattle... and they didn't even go to Ian's funeral, 'cause all the media were there. I never forgave them that, and they never forgave me for going anyway. So yeah, a Christmas party with them would be pretty awkward."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-03 at 11:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam nods knowingly, "Don't have to explain. Dumb question, I'm sorry." He shifts his pack and tries to breathe through the bloodflow in his head, "So, um, I mean, if you're not, um. Hm. Me an' Leon got the new place set up and, y'know, he's back east for the break and, um, if you wanna, y'know, come over and, maybe, uh, hang out? Y'know, over the holiday, gets lonely...I'll shut up now..."

Adam hangs his head and sighs, Stupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidst upidstupid...
    -Odentin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Allison grinned. "Sure! You know, I'll miss Leon. I really wanted to spend another night with him before he left, but I was a bit too shy to ask."

There was a beat.

"I mean, uh, for playing Super Smash Bros. on the Wii, like we did just before the Halloween party. I don't mean to imply there's anything, uh.......... anyway, I'm told he already has a girlfriend back home."

She looked down, nervously fingering the head of an arrow as if she now contemplated driving it through her own eye. Clearly Adam was not the only one with an awkardness problem.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-04 at 09:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam reflexively smiles along with her, though this quickly fades as she speaks, and a small "Oh." escapes before the beat...

"I had, uh...kinda meant it...as a....date.... But if...." he doesn't finish his sentence, only releases a soundly defeated sigh.
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-04 at 11:21 AM.
    -Odentin

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Allison froze and turned wide blue eyes towards Adam.

"A... date? As in, uh, date-date? I... uh... I mean, yeah! Sure!" she blurted out, a blush coloring her cheeks. "I'm absolutely okay with that! What do you suggest? I mean, we'll do whatever you want regardless, but... Shut up, Allison."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam's face brightens considerably, "R-really? I...I mean, awesome. Cool. Uh....I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now...uh."

He looks around, as if searching for help, "Well, like I said...you can come over and hang out, if you'd like. I-I'd cook, but I just got the place, and I don't want it to burn down..." He chuckles nervously, "Or we could go out to...somewhere. I'm sorry...I don't know what I'm doing...."
    -Odentin

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"R-really? I...I mean, awesome. Cool. Uh....I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now...uh."
    Allison chuckled. "Makes two of us."

"Well, like I said...you can come over and hang out, if you'd like. I-I'd cook, but I just got the place, and I don't want it to burn down..." He chuckles nervously, "Or we could go out to...somewhere. I'm sorry...I don't know what I'm doing...."
    "Hanging out is okay," said Allison hurriedly. "We can order pizza or Chinese and watch Game of Thrones on my laptop, or something. Unless, uh, you think it sounds nerdy and lame - then we'll do something else. But I mean, we must have common interests and hobbies besides archery, right?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, no. That sounds great...I think I've missed a few episodes..."

He pulls his phone and checks the time, "Anyways, I should probably be getting home..."
    -Odentin

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure!" Allison quickly finished packing her bow and arrows. "Can I walk with you for a bit?"

It was 6:14 according to Adam's phone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam smiles, "Of course. Not going very far, though. Just to the parking lot. I'll walk you to your car, though..."
    -Odentin

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks! I don't have a car, but I live right next to the campus."

Each of them carrying their bows and arrows, they headed out, chatting about the tournament tomorrow. Allison's eyes twinkled with joy, as if she could scarcely believe the number one archer in the club had asked her out. As they were about to leave the building, however, the snowstorm outside had turned into a veritable blizzard; they could scarcely see thirty feet ahead. The snow on the ground was piled knee-deep. Even a short trip in this weather seemed daunting.

Allison sighed. "Let's stay close, okay? We don't want to get lost." She smiled shyly. "Can we hold hands?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam chuckles, "Sure. Would you like my jacket, too?"

Looking out into the storm, he sighs, "And I can give you a ride home, too, if you'd like. Right now I'm glad I got a Jeep with four-wheel drive..."
    -Odentin

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The corners of Allison's lips quirked up. "Keep your jacket, but I'll say yes to the ride."

They held hands and started advancing through the snow. It was very slow progress, and it was not long before their boots were filled with meltwater. With the snowflakes blowing in their faces, they had to keep their gazes down, straight ahead. It did not take long for the sports building to disappear behind them, but Adam was sure they had not gone more than fifty yards.

Without warning, Adam felt Allison's hand stiffen in alarm. He followed her gaze and saw indistinct movement in the snow about ten yards straight ahead. Suddenly, the surface of the snow broke, as if to reveal something underneath... but the only thing that arose from it was more snow. In mere seconds, the rising mass of snow grew denser and asserted a vaguely human-like shape, standing about seven feet high, with powerful arms and a large head but no visible legs; the bottom part of it simply merged with the snow on the ground.

Adam caught more movement from the corner of his eyes and saw another such shape emerge some ten yards to the first's left - the two of them now forming a roughly equilateral triangle with Adam and Allison. Both creatures suddenly charged towards the humans, moving with deceptive speed and silence on the snow despite their bulk.

"What. The. Fµck," Allison muttered.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let you act before Allison. Be advised that the deep snow halves your movement; the two snow monsters have no such restrictions.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-04 at 10:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

In one swift movement, Adam drops his pack, flips his bow around on his arm, nocks an arrow, and draws it back, levelled at one of the...things. His eyes and face harden, and his voice rings out, "You really want to face down the two best archers in the school"

Spoiler
    Show
    No quick draw, so take the turn to 'ready' the bow and reflexive to ready the arrow...
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-04 at 11:12 PM.
    -Odentin

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"...Looks like they do, yeah."

Allison's voice trembled a bit, but her hand did not. She drew her shortbow like lightning, nocked an arrow with practiced ease - speed shooting being her specialty - and let fly at the snow golem on the left.

Spoiler
    Show
    Allison does have Quick Draw, as well as the Rapid Nock merit from Fighting Style: Archery. She can draw, nock and fire in the same round.

Dex 3 + Firearms 3 + bow specialty 1 + Damage 2 = 9. (9d10)[6][1][3][9][7][4][10][7][3](50)

10-again: (4d10)[9][1][6][4](20)

3 successes. They count as bashing damage, since the golems are made of snow and have no vital organs.

Oh, and bedtime for me! To Be Continued...

The arrow took out a fist-sized chunk of compressed snow from its target's head, but the snow golem kept coming, undaunted. The two of them were now almost upon the humans.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-04 at 11:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Got my editing done too late. Fuggit.

Adam smirks and shifts his aim, letting fly at the one with an arrow already sticking out of it, leaving the one closer to himself for later...

Spoiler
    Show
    Dex+Athletics+Archery Spec+Bow+Willpower
    4+5+1+3+3=16
    (16d10)[8][6][8][3][1][7][1][6][7][7][1][5][6][9][6][9](90) - 4 damage.

"Get back, Ally. These things aren't slowing down..."
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-04 at 11:56 PM.
    -Odentin

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Adam's arrow planted itself to the fletching into one of the creatures; the monster just kept going straight ahead, as if hit by a paper plane. Heedless of Adam's command, Allison did not move an inch from where she stood - she had just noticed that both of the golems were clearly heading towards Adam alone. A hard expression on her face, she nocked another arrow and shot at the already damaged snow golem. This time her arrow tore a significant chunk of snow out of the golem's head, almost smashing it off its shoulders.

The charging golem was slowed down a bit; just enough for Adam to avoid a mighty but clumsy swipe of its arm. The athlete, however, was not nearly fast enough to escape the other golem as it threw himself bodily upon him in a bear hug that knocked the breath out of his lungs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls in the OOC thread. Adam is now grappled.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-05 at 04:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam ducks deftly under the arm of the damaged Snowman...only to maneuver himself into the waiting arms of the other one. Mentally cursing himself, he twists around, using his bow for leverage to wrap his arms around the thing's "head" and kicking for a leg, hoping to overpower and take control from the beastie...

Spoiler
    Show
    Overpower attempt, Immobilize maneuver.
    Str+Brawl-Frosty's Str+Willpower
    2+1-3+3=3.
    (3d10)[3][8][2](13) - 1 Success. Whew.
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-05 at 06:51 PM.
    -Odentin

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Adam managed to kick his way out of the mass of snow that now tried to smother him and, with great effort, succeeded in forcing it to stay down... just in time to give a clear shot to Allison, who had drawn back several steps and already had another arrow nocked. Her next shot caught the prone golem in the chest and tore off a large chunk of it. The creature did not even seem to notice - instead it raised a mighty fist and punched Adam in the face. It did not hurt much more than a large snowball, but it was enough to make Adam recoil. Before the athlete could recover, the second golem, attacking from behind, threw much of the snow composing its base at the athlete's legs to keep him from shifting his feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first golem broke free and the second grappled Adam.

Roll perception (Wits + Composure), at a -3 penalty for being in combat and having urgent matters to attend to. I suggest you do it before you decide your action for this round.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-05 at 08:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam grunts and shakes the snow off of his face, muttering about...something.

Wits+Composure: (3d10)[6][2][6](14)
    10 Again: (2d10)[4][8](12)
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-05 at 09:05 PM.
    -Odentin

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam twists around and attempts to immobilize the second snowman, as well, but fails, "This one, first!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Accidentally deleted the post. Failed the roll.
    -Odentin

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"C'mon, die already!" Allison snarled at the first snowman, loosing another arrow.

The projectile only clipped the shoulder of the creature on the left. Once more, the monster ignored it and concentrated instead on seizing Adam, but the young man managed to twist out of its way despite still being in the grip of his other opponent. Before he could break free entirely, the second snow golem clamped a powerful hand around Adam's face, filling his mouth and nose with snow. Slowly it worked its fingers up Adam's nostrils and down his throat, causing the student's head to pound in agony at the cold.

Through the haze of cold and pain, a detail caught Adam's eye. The first snowman's chest, blown open by one of Allison's arrows, had something in the middle that had just been laid bare - a black, shrunken heart, which looked disturbingly like a human heart. And it was beating.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-05 at 10:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam coughs and tries to shake himself free, or at least free enough to grab the trench knife out of the back of his jeans, though the pain and panic leave him unable to find the grip.

Spoiler
    Show
    Overpower: (3d10)[1][5][2](8) to draw his knife....and that's it.

Fark.
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-05 at 10:53 PM.
    -Odentin

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Letting out a frustrated breath, Allison shot another arrow, but it went wide. In the meantime, the damaged snowman finally managed to get a solid hold of Adam again, while its companion kept trying to suffocate the student with snow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam panics and flails wildly, trying to get free of the deranged THINGS trying to kill him...

As he frees himself, he coughs out to Allison, "The heart! Shoot the heart!"

Spoiler
    Show
    3-4+3=2. Ugh. Risking Willpower to try to escape...

(2d10)[4][8](12)

Edit: OH AND THE HEAVENS SMILE UPON ME THIS ROLL!
    Last edited by Odentin; 2013-08-05 at 11:29 PM.
    -Odentin

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 2.5 - Snowed In

Allison's eyes narrowed. She nocked another arrow and shot it, but missed the mark entirely.

The golems were not relenting. They piled themselves onto Adam like football players, seemingly not even noticing Allison shooting at them for a while now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: