New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Graves of the Winged Giants IC

The skies were clear with not a cloud to be seen, but still the shadow passed over the kingdom of Haven's Vale. At first it was a flicker like the sun was sputtering out. Then it was longer, prolonged. Then the shadow flowed over the city, something immense in the sky looking down at the inhabitants like a lofty god peering down at the mere mortals below. Then it soaked in. The smooth leathery wings, the sharp whipping tail, the scales, mesmerizing in their beauty, and the flames. Oh the flames. In less then an hour the whole of Haven's Vale was filled with them. The villagers who had been safe in their routines but moments ago either fleeing into the countryside or left behind as blackened husks. Just as Haven's Vale had proved no haven, so too did the safety of the surrounding countryside disappoint as the goblins, kobolds, and orcs jump forth, ambushing them. Blood flecked casually into the brush and once more the dragon turned, flying back to its lofty lair in the clouds. The savage races followed slower, taking what they could and all the valuables they found for their dragon king would accept no less.

Such was the way of the world. Kingdoms of the lesser races such as humans, elves, and dwarfs were rare and far between, few in populace because when they got too big, dragons like Arcanzool the Flamebringer would burn them down for the treasures they had no doubt amassed and produced. Dragons ruled the world and the spires they erected for their lairs were spectacular, reaching far above any natural rock formations. Some even said they were erected with magic, but however they were made they laced the lands, each ruling over domains of varying size. Dragons weren't merely the tyrants that ruled the world however, they were the gods. These draconic deities were particularly important to the savage races, but even the lesser races worshiped them, giving offerings and cowering in the woodlands from their wrath.

Something unusual had happened however. A king, King Hendricks the third to be precise, had called to all the heroes throughout the land, offering a reward of 50,000GP of lands and holdings to any who would slay Arcanzool the Flamebringer. Furthermore they would gain the title of dragon-slayer by all and be given the title of "grand knight of the court" within King Hendricks III's lands. It was certainly a rare occurrence, but not unheard of. More often then not either the whole scheme was a trap for would-be-dragon-slayers, or loyalists were found amongst the "dragon-slayers". Needless to say it wasn't the safest proposal, but it was one with vast rewards.

The stone halls of the king's audience chamber slowly filled with guests. It wasn't a large sweeping hall for hundreds to gather in, no, such castles were but smoldering ash now. This castle was of respectable size, more like a small mansion then a castle if truth were told, fitting perhaps twenty people. still, the king looked somewhat disappointed at the rabble before him. "You are... adventurers? Heroes? Tried and tested?" he asked quizzically as if deciding whether to humor the notion until you'd left or not. With a grunt he nodded, promised the reward, and dismissed you.

Overall it was a rather dull affair, but as you collectively leave the king's audience chamber Heckle, captain of the royal guard and a man old enough he had every right to be retired, suggests that the lot of you work together rather then individually. "A dragon is a mighty beast, and not to be trifled with. You'll need every sword you can find to bring it down."

Outside the sun bears down hot, and in the distance you can still see the great mountain-lair of Arcanzool the Flamebringer in the distance, beyond the Darkswamp Woods and the Savage Plans.
    Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to bicker, plan, shop, and decide when to leave IC.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Graves of the Winged Giants IC

Amateurs

There was no getting around that point, at least, not from where Kylee stood. The wood elf wasn't prone to boasting, her profession was not which encouraged an individual to overestimate their abilities. Well, not if they wanted to live long. But that was something of the point. Hunting was Kylee's profession. She was a professional, and as she looked about at these would-be dragonslayers, all she could see was about two dozen dead men walking. Because, like it or not, most of them didn't look up to snuff.

Not to say that Kylee felt especially confident either. Sure, she'd taken down quite a few nasty beasts. Chimera's, Basilisks, Even the occasional Wyvern or Landwyrm. But a true blooded dragon? Never. When she saw the notice, she had half a mind to just keep walking, and find another contract. Oh if only it were that simply. See, put aside everything else. The bounty, the titles...all of that was fine. But if anyone got lucky and managed to down a real dragon, Kylee would be out of the job overnight. Nobody would be looking to hire her, not when some bigshot was roaming the lands. The elven maiden was no fool. She'd take a quick death from incineration over a slow one from poverty or hunger any day.

At the guards suggestion, Kylee looked at some of her associates, trying to get a gauge on them. Groups were tricky. Yeah, if you could get a solid one, it could mean the differance between hauling back a beast's hide, or getting your own backside skinned off. But a poor group was more a load-stone around your neck than anything. So she'd need to figure out who was actually worth her time, and who was just going to end up as a scrap of bone stuck in Arcanzool's teeth.

"Alright, show of hands. How many of you have ever actually been on a hunt before?" Kylee asked, getting right to the matter, her voice blunt and, if we were to be honest, more than a little abrasive. "And I'm not talking about bagging some game, or picking off a half-dead wolf either."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Atalaya looked rather stern through the whole affair, and the questioning tone of the king only seemed to emphasize the look on her. She may not have carried sword or spear, nor wear the cumbersome armor of his guard, but she was strong in her own right, her skin as strong as any of the armor his men wore and then augmented by her own spirit. She was likely stronger than most of the guardsman here, she was certainly taller than they were, pushing almost seven feet. Of course, that didn't stop her from using the incarnum based armor she normally wore in battle.

At the elf's question, Atalaya glanced at the woman, "quite often," she comments simply, "I assume there is a reason for this question?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It should be noted that Atalaya's soulmelds are not currently shaped. Mainly for fluff, since I doubt a king would want someone that looks like a giant clawed bug walking into their home, let alone their audience room.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Greco draws a miniscule book from a pocket and rapidly skims through its contents. Having found his answer the the elf's question after a few seconds (and a few hundred pages) he snaps the book closed and stores it back within his robes.

"Although I have not personally taken part of a hunting expedition, be the quarry partially undead canines or the pursuit of a recreational diversion, I have taken the liberty of brushing up on Gwylan's Last Stand. My recollection of that novel will be more than satisfactory for any trials requiring wilderness survival...although I do not consider that to be especially relevant; the need to replenish our food supplies should probably be a secondary concern given that we have been hired on as Dragonslayers and, assuming we arrive safely, we will be slaying a dragon."

With that question correctly answered, offers one of his own. "What spells would each of you prefer I cast upon you in preparation for this task? If you do not have a preference then speak up now; I will merely prepare to monitor your current condition and we will leave it at that. My magical endurance is as of yet unmatched, but the time it takes to actually cast my 'spells' is prohibitive of casting those spells mid-engagement. Especially during a battle with a dragon, or its direct subordinates."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aserith moved ahead raising his hand, there was a slight shake beneath the earth everytime he walked, as he approached the Young elf he muttered some words in terran facing towards the earth, making the shaking stop: "shut up, soon we'll be out of the City and you can come out; stop being so damn impatient."

Then he walked towards the elf, took her hand, and said with a welcoming smile: "I hace been a part of many hunts, several of them involved dragons but if I may Ask another question, ¿Why is such a beautiful woman risking her life agaisn't the jaws of a dragón?. Your boyfriend must be scared to the bones when you are not around" stupid,stupid,stupid, why did you say that?
    Last edited by neriractor; 2015-07-08 at 10:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

At the elf's question, Atalaya glanced at the woman, "quite often," she comments simply, "I assume there is a reason for this question?"
    Kylee gave the woman a once over. At a glance, she looked decently preped. Which was unexpected, but not unwelcome "Yeah, of course there is. Don't know if you saw the rest of the crowd, but I'm not exactly thrilled at their chance. Bunch of farmboys in over their heads. I'm not going to be held responsible to walking a bunch of ill prepared children to their deaths."

"Although I have not personally taken part of a hunting expedition, be the quarry partially undead canines or the pursuit of a recreational diversion, I have taken the liberty of brushing up on Gwylan's Last Stand. My recollection of that novel will be more than satisfactory for any trials requiring wilderness survival...although I do not consider that to be especially relevant; the need to replenish our food supplies should probably be a secondary concern given that we have been hired on as Dragonslayers and, assuming we arrive safely, we will be slaying a dragon."
    The next man to speak looked like a clown. Half-bald, with a ridiculous outfit on. It was enough to make Kylee fight back a chuckle. But his words were the best part. Taken the liberty of 'bushing up', eh? That's adorable. But then, what could you expect from a spellslinger? And Kylee was fairly certain he was an arcaneist of one flavor or another. More than the smell of old papers and spell components, the biggest giveaway was the attitude. The way he spoke.

"What spells would each of you prefer I cast upon you in preparation for this task? If you do not have a preference then speak up now; I will merely prepare to monitor your current condition and we will leave it at that. My magical endurance is as of yet unmatched, but the time it takes to actually cast my 'spells' is prohibitive of casting those spells mid-engagement. Especially during a battle with a dragon, or its direct subordinates."
    "If I had a copper for every guy who's bragged about his endurance..." Kylee muttered to herself, crossing her arms infront of her as she shifted her weight and listened. "Something to ward off the dragon's fire would be nice. Beyond that, any spells you know that we could use to scout the beasts lair would be useful." And after that, maybe think about staying back at the campsite Kylee thought. She wasn't going to discount the value of a veteran mage. But one who couldn't cast a spell in the middle of a fight was a liability of the highest order.

Then he walked towards the elf, took her hand, and said with a welcoming smile: "I hace been a part of many hunts, several of them involved dragons but if I may Ask another question, ¿Why is such a beautiful woman risking her life agaisn't the jaws of a dragón?. Your boyfriend must be scared to the bones when you are not around"
    Kylee blinked a moment, giving the dark elf a very cold stare.The guy was a curious sight, given that from what she'd heard, drow are damn near useless in daylight. Well, that and an entire histories worth of bad blood. But, again: Professional. Which meant no shooting anyone unless you were really certain they deserved it. But she also didn't take kindly to his comment either. "Oh, mine is a sad tale, good sir. My betrothed lover was captured by the foul wyrm, and now is kept prisoner. We were to be wed just this past fortnight, but the beast keeps our love separate. I joined this venture, that I, fragile lily though I may be, might save the man to whom I've pledged my life, and who without, I am but an empty shell" Kylee spoke, playing up her 'helpless elven maiden' voice, while also layering on the sarcasm as thick as she could, and giving a good eye-roll for emphasis. She didn't feel the need to give any sort of honest answer to his question. Her motives weren't complex, but they also didn't need to be publicized either.

"Figure we should gear up while we can. It's a long trek to where we're going. Probably best if we can do some digging 'round the drake's lair. Even with superior numbers, I'd rather not go walking in blind."
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2015-07-08 at 10:41 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

To the magician, "I will think on it, for now nothing comes to mind," she wasn't very keen on magic, but it was an advantage to have regardless.

Atalaya raised a brow at Kylee, "appearances are often deceiving, as a hunter should well know. And as is the case of myself," she replied, before a slow smirk spread across her visage and the chitin armor of the ankheg breastplate formed around her body, "most call me Atalaya the Chimera, my abilities seem to propagate the title."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    "If I had a copper for every guy who's bragged about his endurance..." Kylee muttered to herself, crossing her arms infront of her as she shifted her weight and listened.
    "I see." This is quite clearly a challenge. Earlier in the year Greco would accept this challenge and put the matter, and challenger, to rest. Earlier in the year Greco was a worst person; more volatile, more vicious, more...practical about his actions in ways that would be very unpleasant for anyone who dared challenge him. "While tales about how you acquired the copper for your equipment may prove interesting, that will have to wait for another time."

"Figure we should gear up while we can. It's a long trek to where we're going. Probably best if we can do some digging 'round the drake's lair. Even with superior numbers, I'd rather not go walking in blind."
    "My personal residence is on the western edge of town. Should we choose to scout the area over multiple trips I will not be opposed to using my home as a base of operations." Greco draws a thin leather-bound tome positively covered small arcane runes. "Resistance to Fire." He slides a thin bookmark into that page. "Invisibility." He places another bookmark in a section a few dozen pages away. "Status divination." This page is bookmarked five times. "Bestowing Invisibility and resistance to heat upon a subject is too time consuming for that to be done for each of you, so I will assume only the Wood elf wishes to be prepared in that way.

9. - Top - End - #9

"I can obtain fire resistance, given some time, even the ability to heal from flames to a degree," Atalaya replies, "I will need to meditate to alter my current options however."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jaggetha

"I've hunted once or twice - but I don't see the connection." Jaggetha says. "Nothing any of us has done in the past will prepare us to fight something stronger, faster and smarter than all of us combined. I suspect we'll all die badly just climbing the spire or as fodder to the huge army of goblins." Jaggetha scratches her chin and beams an infectious smile at the mob. She was clearly unafraid.

"I can't wait. I am Jaggetha - but my friends just call me 'Jag'." She subconsciously rested her hands on the hilt of the sword at her side. A small slit of white light escaped from inside the sword's scabbard, brightened the room.

She tilted her head quizzically at the Drow for a brief moment and looked him up and down. Satisfied he wasn't a threat (for now), she stifled an unspoken objection before she even opened her mouth but her eyes betrayed her briefly.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2015-07-09 at 01:35 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"what a rude girl, you'd think being able to run around freely without a bunch of kobolds hunting you will lead to nicer people"

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    "My personal residence is on the western edge of town. Should we choose to scout the area over multiple trips I will not be opposed to using my home as a base of operations." Greco draws a thin leather-bound tome positively covered small arcane runes. "Resistance to Fire." He slides a thin bookmark into that page. "Invisibility." He places another bookmark in a section a few dozen pages away. "Status divination." This page is bookmarked five times. "Bestowing Invisibility and resistance to heat upon a subject is too time consuming for that to be done for each of you, so I will assume only the Wood elf wishes to be prepared in that way.
    Aserith moves to were the magician standed he seems good, he could provide support where I lack it.
    "Hello fellow arcanist, I have a question:does your house count with a stable? If so I will very much like to stay there and will of course help with the cleaning. Also while I know some spells myself, including invisivility I would extremely appreciate some protection from fire, and I bet I could help you with your magical research

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    "Hello fellow arcanist, I have a question:does your house count with a stable? If so I will very much like to stay there and will of course help with the cleaning. Also while I know some spells myself, including invisivility I would extremely appreciate some protection from fire, and I bet I could help you with your magical research
    The stable has not seen use in some time, I believe. I have never personally needed it for obvious reasons." Greco rises off the ground a few inches and hovers there, illustrating the point nicely. "I welcome you to make use of the building and all of its facilities; I have no use for the place other than the alchemy laboratory I have placed in the basement and my research-library in the upper story.

Exchanging magical theory with another enlightened individual will be a welcomed change, but we are getting ahead of ourselves. We should first determine the exact conditions of the dragon's lair and acquire information about the dragon itself. Until then practical demonstrations of our abilities will need to suffice. For example,"

Thus Greco begins the to cast one of his spells. The connection to common arcane magic is obvious; transparent sigils form in the air mapping out the way magic is to fold and connect, overlapping and compressing as need be while he he conjures more runes and positioning preexisting ones, his voice guiding magic just as readily as his hands. Though the process is slow, it is amazingly efficient; no energy escapes the trappings of the spell and the framework he established early in the process is either reconstituted into a new portion of the spell or reabsorbed into his hands.

"Although this is not one of the spells requested, I believe we have enough martial combatants in this group to justify this demonstration. This spell was developed to temporarily emulate the power of Arrow Demons and Girallions, namely in providing extra arms for a stalwart combatant; I have had limited success with this and the spell will only maintain itself for little over an hour, but it is still easily one of the most useful spells in my arsenal for the martially inclined. The main limiting factor is the time it takes to cast in comparison to the time it lasts. Lady Chimera, (Atalaya, if you prefer) would be so kind?" As the spell finishes he reaches forward to touch the 'Chimera', magic buzzing at his fingertips.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: casting Girallion's Blessing on Atalaya. No spell is expended but it does take 30 minutes to cast.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2015-07-09 at 11:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The brawny woman who had sat through the meeting silently finally grunts, and nods at the original question. Been on a hunt, yeah. Manhunt. Jerk had it coming too. She spits off to one side. I figure that wasn't quite what you was askin', though.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #14

Atalaya blinks as the extra arms form, "...how does this work with a skin changer?" she asked simply, looking for all the world like she was used to having four arms, "my own method gives me a set of claws I can use."
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Atalaya raised a brow at Kylee, "appearances are often deceiving, as a hunter should well know. And as is the case of myself," she replied, before a slow smirk spread across her visage and the chitin armor of the ankheg breastplate formed around her body, "most call me Atalaya the Chimera, my abilities seem to propagate the title."
    "Chimera. Patchwork beast formed from different creatures. Fitting name. Mine's Kylee Tathmiel" Kylee remarked. While she did not personally understand the technique, Kylee was familiar enough with the principles of meldshaping that she was neither awed by the revelation, nor especially intimidated either. All it really meant for her was something to keep note off, should it become important to know. As for the rest, well, She didn't personally put much stock in the claim about appearances being deceiving. That was only true if you weren't keeping your eyes peeled and your whit sharp. No matter how hidden, there were always clues to the truth. Put those clues together, and the whole picture could be seen, clear as day. So while she might very well be wrong in her dismissal of these farm-boys, and indeed, perhaps they were actually great and powerful demi-gods walking among mortals, the elf was fairly confident in her assessment, and risked very little if she was wrong.

"A kind offer. Probably will have to take you up on that." the elf commented. "No sense in rushing things, afterall. We very likely only get one shot to succeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    "I've hunted once or twice - but I don't see the connection." Jaggetha says. "Nothing any of us has done in the past will prepare us to fight something stronger, faster and smarter than all of us combined. I suspect we'll all die badly just climbing the spire or as fodder to the huge army of goblins." Jaggetha scratches her chin and beams an infectious smile at the mob. She was clearly unafraid.
    Kylee cared little for the smile, and offered no such expression in return."No matter the target, every hunt is fundementally the same. Identify weaknesses, exploit them, and take them down. We are not hunting a god. Dragons are born, live, and die...same as everything else."

Despite her rather dour exterior, Kylee was actually fairly satisfied with the group she saw assembled. As always, her priorty was her own survival, and it seemed she could increase the odds of getting though by sticking with these would-be-dragon-slayers. Not to say she liked all of what she saw. The two spellslingers, chattering about arcane theory, we're going to slow the group down. The rest, with perhaps one or two exceptions, were confident in their strengths, but seemed to not understand the nature of what it was to take out such a dangerous contract.

"We'll be needing horses" Kylee commented, doing a quick head count "And a wagon as well, I think. Getting through the swampland will likely be slow going, but after that, the plains are open enough that we'll make up time there. "And even with the offer, I'd suggest anyone not interested in sleeping outdoors aquire a tent. We could very well end up having to camp for several nights."

"And you too" Kylee pointed at the pair of magicians. "If your discussing magial theory, I'd suggest working on a way to bind the dragon's wings. Given, the dragon will likely take to the skies, where it holds the advantage over us. But a grounded dragon will prove much easier to deal with."

16. - Top - End - #16

"We'll be needing horses" Kylee commented, doing a quick head count "And a wagon as well, I think. Getting through the swampland will likely be slow going, but after that, the plains are open enough that we'll make up time there. "And even with the offer, I'd suggest anyone not interested in sleeping outdoors aquire a tent. We could very well end up having to camp for several nights."
    "I possess a cart and a horse, we can make use of it if you wish. The cart is tethered outside. Given it's size we can likely use it as a makeshift shelter if we cannot obtain tents," Atalaya replies, keeping the lower two of her arms crossed and out of the way while she used her normal arms to gesticulate, "All we'll need is a tarp of some sort to drape over it to keep water out and heat in."

Show
    I knew having a cart would be useful!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    "All we'll need is a tarp of some sort to drape over it to keep water out and heat in."
    "I have a Tarp! Although I hope to be of more use than just providing canvas!" Says a small non-de script man from the shade of a nearby awning. The shadows aren't particularly dark or deep, but they seem to cling to him for just a moment as he steps forward. He wears basic clothes and carries himself in that smooth graceful athletic manner common to monastic warriors. A few dagger hilts can be seen protruding from numerous places on his slight form.

As he comes more fully into the light you can see that he is smiling pleasantly, although a large scar runs through his left eye and down most of his cheek, ruining the attractiveness of his face.

"I am Terryn Bleakfield, and yes I have been on my fair share of hunts although my prey is more usually of the two-legged variety. I am not unskilled in matters of wilderness survival and tracking, although I'm more than happy to follow your more experienced lead." He nods politely toward Kylee.

"I believe you will find me most useful in matters of stealth and scouting, I have some ability in the mystical arts, and a sharp blade for our foes. I'm a fair hand at locks and traps too!"

He certainly seems like a pleasant enough fellow, but there's a darkness somewhere behind his eyes that hint at a troubled past. You imagine this man to be prone to quiet brooding and melancholy when he's not trying to make a nice first impression.

He moves around the group offering a firm hand, a nod and a smile in greeting.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Atalaya blinks as the extra arms form, "...how does this work with a skin changer?" she asked simply, looking for all the world like she was used to having four arms, "my own method gives me a set of claws I can use."
    "I would presume that some measure of the magic carried in your own claws will most likely be transferred over to your new ones in a reduced form, though . At the very least you should retain those additional arms (and claws) if you manifest some form of shape-shifting magic, although we will not be able to confirm this until we have tested how my magic interacts with yours under different circumstances as your situation is a unique one."

Our solution to the dragon's flight will most likely not be a magical one. A dragon as ancient and powerful as this one will be all but immune to lesser magics like that, especially when cast by beings with less practice in the arts than it. I could not possibly usurp its control over magic, and I doubt any others of our standing will come nearly as close as I would."
    The strange man balances snark, haughtiness and educational expatiation with the ease only a lifelong scholar could muster.

"To paraphrase what another has said before I had the opportunity to do so myself, Dragons are not gods. Yes, are not nearly as mortal as we are but they are mortal all the same. They cannot be everywhere at once. They can not know everything at once.

The one we are pursuing will have a weakness. We will find its weakness. We will exploit its weakness in every way, end its life and crush its progeny before they have the chance to take vengeance upon us. All of its accomplishments, great or foul, will be undone and erased. And with this...we will ensure my name will be spoken in the same breath as True Gods, even if I never become one myself."

The accepts the offered hand from Breakfield and gives it a firm shake with scents of ozone and brimstone and pine and unhallowed graves all rolling off him waves for a moment. "Greco The Wise at your service." His magic wrestles the scents back under control and he smiles kindly at his companions.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2015-07-09 at 07:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jaggetha

Jaggetha shrugged at kaylee. "You are probably right." She paused for a brief minute lost in thought. "What do we know about this dragon if anything ? it's size? It's color? its capabilities ? Would it make more sense until we learned more to concentrate on its army of followers first?"

Jaggetha had no information on the dragon or even opinions on how to approach fighting it yet. She decided let the group consensus decide for her. She rolled her eyes at the growing side conversation between the magic-using-types and sighed deeply. There always seemed to be a couple odd balls in every batch of random adventurers ready to discuss the obscure points of conjuration or some such.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post

Our solution to the dragon's flight will most likely not be a magical one. A dragon as ancient and powerful as this one will be all but immune to lesser magics like that, especially when cast by beings with less practice in the arts than it. I could not possibly usurp its control over magic, and I doubt any others of our standing will come nearly as close as I would."
    The strange man balances snark, haughtiness and educational expatiation with the ease only a lifelong scholar could muster.
    Kylee scoffed a little. If your magic can't hurt it, maybe you shouldn't be coming along, Greco the wise she thought to herself. "If that's the case, then we'll need some sort of ballista, preferably two or three of them. Disable its wings by force, or use them to tether it to the ground."

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok'n'Roll View Post
    Jaggetha shrugged at kaylee. "You are probably right." She paused for a brief minute lost in thought. "What do we know about this dragon if anything ? it's size? It's color? its capabilities ? Would it make more sense until we learned more to concentrate on its army of followers first?"
    "Contact only says to kill the dragon: I'm not interested in dealing with an army unless I'm getting paid to do so. Even then, probably pass it up. Fighting one dragon is easier than fighting an army of hundreds. At least with the dragon, you don't have to worry about being flanked, or taken prisoner."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"We'll be needing horses"

"And you too" Kylee pointed at the pair of magicians. "If your discussing magial theory, I'd suggest working on a way to bind the dragon's wings. Given, the dragon will likely take to the skies, where it holds the advantage over us. But a grounded dragon will prove much easier to deal with."
    "well, even when I can't yet stop a dragon from flying, I believe in my spells, I have a solution to your problem; I can summon a number of steeds, I believe last time I tried they were six"

Then he turned around to shake terryn's Hand.

22. - Top - End - #22

"well, even when I can't yet stop a dragon from flying, I believe in my spells, I have a solution to your problem; I can summon a number of steeds, I believe last time I tried they were six"

Then he turned around to shake terryn's Hand.
    "We should move, rather than standing around, we can take my cart outside," she says, leading the way.

"How long do they last?" Atalaya asks the mage as she leads the way.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aserith follows the woman to her cart, she seems nice.

He looks at her (perhaps a Little too much) and then speaks " huh... It lasss.. Lasts about twelve hours the piece if my memory doesn't fail me. he then keeps walking trying to avoid her looking at his blushed Face.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Contact only says to kill the dragon: I'm not interested in dealing with an army unless I'm getting paid to do so. Even then, probably pass it up. Fighting one dragon is easier than fighting an army of hundreds. At least with the dragon, you don't have to worry about being flanked, or taken prisoner."

"How very ... mercenary of you. So you want to take an untested group up a spire and fight a dragon. Some of these men-folk look a little... anemic, under-fed and quite frankly a little scrawny. Wouldn't it make sense to see what they are capable of first against fodder." Jag said trying to be diplomatic. "Either way, how do we get the cart up the spire or ourselves for that matter? I guess we could leave the cart at the bottom but I doubt we are going to be able to climb up ourselves. Well I might be able to.. " she trailed off doubtfully.

Jaggetha hops into the back of the wagon, indicating she was ready to go. She normally preferred action to talking but she was mildly concerned about the planning thus far. She closes her eyes momentary to concentrate and looks over the assorted adventurers for any subtle clues of danger.

Spoiler
    Show

Jag will turn on her detect evil ability (and leave it on for the day) and look around

25. - Top - End - #25

Once everyone is on the cart, Atalaya actually slips the harness around herself, and then transforms into a horse covered in chitin armor, "careful of the jars back there, they're worth their weight in gold," she says in horse form, "which way to your house, Greco?"
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Kylee scoffed a little. If your magic can't hurt it, maybe you shouldn't be coming along, Greco the wise she thought to herself. "If that's the case, then we'll need some sort of ballista, preferably two or three of them. Disable its wings by force, or use them to tether it to the ground."

"I suggest we all take an interest in that 'fodder' that was discounted earlier. Every Kobold worshiping Arcanzool carries the dragon's strength and authority, every Orc wielding a sword in the dragon's name bears its weaknesses and failings." He speaks as one would to a student or a child when explaining the same lesson for the thousandth time. "We seek the weaknesses of a dragon. These beings have surrounded said dragon for generations. Its habits are folklore to them, its fears are guiding fables, its methods are law.

I propose we seek out the followers of the dragon and capture one of them at random. Stealthily, mind you,"
    He adds t oappease the irritated Wood Elf. "We can use it to acquire information about others in the group; the social and military hierarchy, the means by which they supply themselves, and so on. Then we will capture a more important subject and acquire more vital information, so we can capture a even more important subject, and so on and so forth until we believe ourselves capable of slaying the dragon by some means within our power. I expect this to take no less than a month, discounting the time we spend travelling and preparing ourselves magically. Take that time, if you wish, to acquire siege weaponry."

Having 'educated' his companions, Greco moves bside the cart and observes Atalaya's transformation.
    Once everyone is on the cart, Atalaya actually slips the harness around herself, and then transforms into a horse covered in chitin armor, "careful of the jars back there, they're worth their weight in gold," she says in horse form, "which way to your house, Greco?"
    "Proceed West by Southwest from here; skirt the edge of town until you reach the stone border, then go straight south. I'll lead you, of course, but should I need to fly there directly for some reason I would prefer for the rest of you to be able to meet me there safely."

Show
    And so we go?
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2015-07-11 at 01:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The village was quiet with the occasional person going about gardening, hauling firewood to their stores for the winter, or going about other such day to day tasks. Your party passes a small group of kids some fifty feet off playing with a sling killing small rodents for both dinner and sport. When you arrive you find the modest pot is still warm over the cooling embers of the cook-fire, but otherwise everything is as it was when you left.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Matching its owner perfectly, the house is strangely maintained; there is no evidence of vermin or pests and the floor has been swept recently, but cobwebs still clutter every corner of each room and several walls show signs of alchemical damage. The rooms are outfitted modestly and neatly with five rooms containing either bedding or furniture one could rest comfortably upon, save for the attick which is naught but filled bookcases and a single clear table with writing implements on it. The front door leads directly into what Greco has re-purposed into casual dining room with several mismatched chairs surrounding a table now occupied with several dozen tomes and pieces of parchment.

Greco produces several bowls and a fistful of cutlery from a cabinet and drops everything in a disarrayed pile atop his old notes and research. "Find someone to share a room with and arrange things as you wish. You may do as you like to become comfortable here, but do not disturb my laboratory or library. Nothing else matters" His own bowl has been covered by a thick piece of parchment with ink that has smeared into one large blotch. He doesnt even bother removing the parchment; with a tiny stirring of his magic he burns through the heavy paper and heats the bowl all at once, then finds a comfortable place to lean.

"Is anyone familiar enough with the mountain to offer information about probably dragon-thrall encampment locations? Keeping in mind that the typical need for a large supply of water might be mitigated somewhat by the presence of mages and that they only need to supplement the resources acquired by looting small towns and villages, of course."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aserith enters the House, the extensive use of caverns between the drow, leaded to him being extremely interested by arquitecture; but the exploration of the House will have to wait."yours is a marvelous home Greco. If you allow me I will love to read a couple of tomes from that Library you have been bragging about, but first could you Point me to the stable in order to attend to an urgent matter?"
    Last edited by neriractor; 2015-07-11 at 02:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Aserith enters the House, the extensive use of caverns between the drow, leaded to him being extremely interested by arquitecture; but the exploration of the House will have to wait."yours is a marvelous home Greco. If you allow me I will love to read a couple of tomes from that Library you have been bragging about, but first could you Point me to the stable in order to attend to an urgent matter?"
    "You may help yourself to any book you find here, but make sure to return anything you borrow to the correct location if it was the library upstairs. The stable you are so interested in is roughly twenty feet behind the house," he points Southwest, "next the the small shack. In the opposite direct of the well, I suppose." Greco makes no move to show his guest out, but few would expect him to given his personality.