New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Game of Ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    To her credit, Moonshine doesn't lose her composure entirely (she doesn't even look very surprised), but she stops in place and opens her mouth uselessly to respond a few times.

"Now now, usually dumbfounding her with well-placed innuendo is my job."

So of course that's the dramatically appropriate time for Feathergrin to make an appearance. Moonshine's expression changes in a heartbeat; she immediately puts on a paladinic demeanor that Luna can see through like glass. Not only is she unpleasantly surprised to see her husband, she's equal parts P.O.'ed and terrified.

The bard approaches, apparently blissfully unaware of her inner turmoil, and offers the pair a polite bow. "Good afternoon, m'ladies."

"You're here," Moonshine says tonelessly. "How did you find us?"

"I was able to track your shadow displacement with a telescope, from fragments of iridium, and a dash of sparkling water on the cobblestones."

This is met with a pause ad tightening of pegasi jaws. "And the real reason?"

If he didn't know something was wrong before, he does now. His eyebrows only drop fractionally, but clearly her mood is spreading. "The gardener told me...am I interrupting something deeper than I thought?"
    Luna glanced at Moonshine briefly, her mirth rapidly disappearing from her eyes, before turning towards Feathergrin. Moonshine would do well to heed the sudden air of concern radiating from the Princess of the Night. "No, you're not, Master Feathergrin. It is a pleasure to see you. What brings you to the palace?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Luna glanced at Moonshine briefly, her mirth rapidly disappearing from her eyes, before turning towards Feathergrin. Moonshine would do well to heed the sudden air of concern radiating from the Princess of the Night. "No, you're not, Master Feathergrin. It is a pleasure to see you. What brings you to the palace?"
    "I...I came because I was told to stay away." His features harden, and he moves closer, concerned more with Moonshine than the princess towering next to her. "And to ask the whys of it, I suppose."

She sighs hopelessly. "It would have been too much to expect that you heed me, then?"

His confusion, it seems, is growing by the second. "I would have. But Snow told me everything. You thought she wouldn't? We've never kept anything from one another. You had to have known I'd come, so why?"

"I had hoped...that you would stay, and do your duty." Voice in danger of breaking, her head lowers itself in shame.

Throwing all caution to the winds, Feathergrin steps directly in front of the pair and raises her head with a hoof, forcing their eyes to meet. "Listen to me. You are my duty. I didn't come running halfway across Equestria to tell you I felt betrayed or that you were wrong; I did it because I knew you needed me." He moves he hoof downward, placing it on the side of her belly. "I knew you both needed me."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

"I...I came because I was told to stay away." His features harden, and he moves closer, concerned more with Moonshine than the princess towering next to her. "And to ask the whys of it, I suppose."

She sighs hopelessly. "It would have been too much to expect that you heed me, then?"

His confusion, it seems, is growing by the second. "I would have. But Snow told me everything. You thought she wouldn't? We've never kept anything from one another. You had to have known I'd come, so why?"

"I had hoped...that you would stay, and do your duty." Voice in danger of breaking, her head lowers itself in shame.

Throwing all caution to the winds, Feathergrin steps directly in front of the pair and raises her head with a hoof, forcing their eyes to meet. "Listen to me. You are my duty. I didn't come running halfway across Equestria to tell you I felt betrayed or that you were wrong; I did it because I knew you needed me." He moves he hoof downward, placing it on the side of her belly. "I knew you both needed me."
    Luna tilted her head as the exchange continue. Then glanced at Moonshine first, then at Feathergrin. "It seems like you two have a lot to talk about." She smiled a little. "One that even a Princess has no business in overhearing. Now, if you'd excuse me..." She straightened herself, and gestures at her Night Guard to follow her.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Comforting folds of shadow appear to follow the princess of the night down the stone paths and lengthy hallways that make up this portion of the palace, encroaching at a generous pace and enclosure matched only by her guards, ever silent and ever watchful, on either side. If she finds her gaze drawn to the floor, her eyes would sight upon a very interesting phenomenon. Pieces of the dark to her side appear to be melting off from their places, coalescing into a full form at her hooves. The image manifests as a hoof-sized reverse crescent moon, a perfect color- and photo-negative of her cutie mark, and the calling card for a shadow-message from a very particular lunar priest.

Trading off with the light streaming in from the windows, it pulses in place three times and splits into five equal fragments, dispersing back into the depths of darkness like a pitch-black river of glass. A brief message that is traditional enough, in some circles, even for someone so...functionally non-traditional as Moonlight. It's common enough to Luna's eyes, and possibly those of her guards, for there to be little mistake to the gesture.

If you aren't in a suitable location for a conference call, find one - will contact in fifteen minutes.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Comforting folds of shadow appear to follow the princess of the night down the stone paths and lengthy hallways that make up this portion of the palace, encroaching at a generous pace and enclosure matched only by her guards, ever silent and ever watchful, on either side. If she finds her gaze drawn to the floor, her eyes would sight upon a very interesting phenomenon. Pieces of the dark to her side appear to be melting off from their places, coalescing into a full form at her hooves. The image manifests as a hoof-sized reverse crescent moon, a perfect color- and photo-negative of her cutie mark, and the calling card for a shadow-message from a very particular lunar priest.

Trading off with the light streaming in from the windows, it pulses in place three times and splits into five equal fragments, dispersing back into the depths of darkness like a pitch-black river of glass. A brief message that is traditional enough, in some circles, even for someone so...functionally non-traditional as Moonlight. It's common enough to Luna's eyes, and possibly those of her guards, for there to be little mistake to the gesture.

If you aren't in a suitable location for a conference call, find one - will contact in fifteen minutes.
    Luna tilted her head to one side, pausing only briefly to read the message, before dispersing the shadows with a quick flare of her horn. "Curious," she spoke to no one in particular. The moon princess continued her thoughtful strides, but instead of the right that would take her back to the bustling core of her palace, she strode forward instead to the observatory; one of her favourite hangouts when she sought peace and quiet.

Princess Luna raised her hoof as she passed the double doors, signalling to her faithful bodyguards that she should be left alone. Her Night Guards needed no further instructions, and took up positions outside the room, their stoic expression never wavering. The oaken doors swung shut with another brief flare of the princess' magic.

Now alone with her brooding thoughts, the Princess wandered over to her telescope, gently running her hoof against the lovingly polished wooden rim, reminiscing about the days long past. Then she pushed those fleeting memories, and closed her eyes. A tendril of thought pulsed through the shadows, and towards Moonlight. "What is it?" Her tone was warm, curious, despite the terse message.
    Last edited by Grif; 2015-02-18 at 05:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Luna tilted her head to one side, pausing only briefly to read the message, before dispersing the shadows with a quick flare of her horn. "Curious," she spoke to no one in particular. The moon princess continued her thoughtful strides, but instead of the right that would take her back to the bustling core of her palace, she strode forward instead to the observatory; one of her favourite hangouts when she sought peace and quiet.

Princess Luna raised her hoof as she passed the double doors, signalling to her faithful bodyguards that she should be left alone. Her Night Guards needed no further instructions, and took up positions outside the room, their stoic expression never wavering. The oaken doors swung shut with another brief flare of the princess' magic.

Now alone with her brooding thoughts, the Princess wandered over to her telescope, gently running her hoof against the lovingly polished wooden rim, reminiscing about the days long past. Then she pushed those fleeting memories, and closed her eyes. A tendril of thought pulsed through the shadows, and towards Moonlight. "What is it?" Her tone was warm, curious, despite the terse message.
    "Any luck, Sir?"

Moonlight holds up a hoof to silence Striker, still peering intently into the pool of shadows undulating slightly with each of his breaths, sucking in the meager light provided by the candles of his tent. "Make sure I don't die by some incredibly unlikely circumstance."

He dips his head into the pool, and miles away, a shadow facsimile, pitch black in color but sharing every detail with the unicorn to whom it belongs, slides out of a patch of darkness a few meters from Luna. It opens its eyes, displaying grayed-out irises, and like a knife slicing through silence...

"...Damn it, hang on."

The shade disappears, and the moon priest slides his head out of the shadows, murmuring a few choice recriminations against stacked magic. His horn glows softly, and when the simulacrum returns to the observatory, its eyes have returned to Moonlight's natural blue. He clears his throat softly. "Forgot to add the prism display. Incidentally, you're very hard to see in black-and-white."

He takes a seat casually, aligning himself near the telescope. Unfortunately for his countenance, the bags under his eyes have also transferred through to the shadow image. However, he manages a slight smile, as though just being there is making the week better, which it probably is. "I wanted to give you a status update. Wasn't sure if that was Rose and Stormshield with you, so I decided to sidetrack you into a room where we could be alone with no witnesses, and I'm positive that sentence would hold up out of context.

We're about nine miles from Canterlot. No word of change from Justified about Coconut or Joyous. But...we just got word about Stoutheart and Solace. Bad news travels fast. Should we adjust? I'm not sure we want anypony using the Motes as part of this."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

"Any luck, Sir?"

Moonlight holds up a hoof to silence Striker, still peering intently into the pool of shadows undulating slightly with each of his breaths, sucking in the meager light provided by the candles of his tent. "Make sure I don't die by some incredibly unlikely circumstance."

He dips his head into the pool, and miles away, a shadow facsimile, pitch black in color but sharing every detail with the unicorn to whom it belongs, slides out of a patch of darkness a few meters from Luna. It opens its eyes, displaying grayed-out irises, and like a knife slicing through silence...

"...Damn it, hang on."

The shade disappears, and the moon priest slides his head out of the shadows, murmuring a few choice recriminations against stacked magic. His horn glows softly, and when the simulacrum returns to the observatory, its eyes have returned to Moonlight's natural blue. He clears his throat softly. "Forgot to add the prism display. Incidentally, you're very hard to see in black-and-white."

He takes a seat casually, aligning himself near the telescope. Unfortunately for his countenance, the bags under his eyes have also transferred through to the shadow image. However, he manages a slight smile, as though just being there is making the week better, which it probably is. "I wanted to give you a status update. Wasn't sure if that was Rose and Stormshield with you, so I decided to sidetrack you into a room where we could be alone with no witnesses, and I'm positive that sentence would hold up out of context.

We're about nine miles from Canterlot. No word of change from Justified about Coconut or Joyous. But...we just got word about Stoutheart and Solace. Bad news travels fast. Should we adjust? I'm not sure we want anypony using the Motes as part of this."
    Princess Luna chuckled a little. "You were always the cautious one, Moonlight. Some might even call that paranoia."

In response to the question, Luna shook her head. "It has already been taken care of. Still, it would be wise not to engage with either side for the moment. Stoutheart looks to be out for blood, and inflaming that in any manner is folly. Solace can take care of their own, and they already have Lunatic sniffing around on their behalf. What they don't need is more attention, which is what the Moon Motes will draw if they openly declare support." She paused, her brows creasing as she searched for any other options. "No. Let's play this safe. Report directly back to me in the palace. We'll see how this pans out over the next few days."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Princess Luna chuckled a little. "You were always the cautious one, Moonlight. Some might even call that paranoia."

In response to the question, Luna shook her head. "It has already been taken care of. Still, it would be wise not to engage with either side for the moment. Stoutheart looks to be out for blood, and inflaming that in any manner is folly. Solace can take care of their own, and they already have Lunatic sniffing around on their behalf. What they don't need is more attention, which is what the Moon Motes will draw if they openly declare support." She paused, her brows creasing as she searched for any other options. "No. Let's play this safe. Report directly back to me in the palace. We'll see how this pans out over the next few days."
    "Understood. Should we take Tunnel 5 or wait until dusk to move in? And I don't know why in Your name I'm forwarding this, but Glister wants to know if there's going to be any wine. Apparently we ran out three days ago when Hammerfall said something about accelerating our bonfires.

...On an unrelated note, they also need more tents."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

"Understood. Should we take Tunnel 5 or wait until dusk to move in? And I don't know why in Your name I'm forwarding this, but Glister wants to know if there's going to be any wine. Apparently we ran out three days ago when Hammerfall said something about accelerating our bonfires.

...On an unrelated note, they also need more tents."
    Luna shook her head. "Tell him..." The Moon Princess had to suppress an untimely giggle. "... tell him, that I'll personally open a bottle of wine for him when he reaches the palace. I'm sure he'll enjoy the vintage I choose. Oh, and Hammerfall is invited as well. We can discuss the matter of tents there." Moonlight might discern a mischievous glint in her eyes, even through their shadow link.

Then as quickly as it appeared, her mirth dissipated. "On more serious matters, I'll let you use your best judgement. Try not to get into trouble along the way. And if any noble give you lip, you have permission to invoke my name."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Luna shook her head. "Tell him..." The Moon Princess had to suppress an untimely giggle. "... tell him, that I'll personally open a bottle of wine for him when he reaches the palace. I'm sure he'll enjoy the vintage I choose. Oh, and Hammerfall is invited as well. We can discuss the matter of tents there." Moonlight might discern a mischievous glint in her eyes, even through their shadow link.

Then as quickly as it appeared, her mirth dissipated. "On more serious matters, I'll let you use your best judgement. Try not to get into trouble along the way. And if any noble give you lip, you have permission to invoke my name."
    "How nice of you to note how much I deeply enjoy invoking your name. But I doubt it'll be necessary; there aren't many with the status or the heart to question what I do with the Moon Motes. If I had to pick a group to infiltrate the palace...it wouldn't be them, but they'll do well enough."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

"How nice of you to note how much I deeply enjoy invoking your name. But I doubt it'll be necessary; there aren't many with the status or the heart to question what I do with the Moon Motes. If I had to pick a group to infiltrate the palace...it wouldn't be them, but they'll do well enough."
    "Very good." Princess Luna smiled again, and looked up into the sky, staring absently into the distance for a few moments. "Is there anything else that requires my attention?"

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not directly, but you should know that I'm pretty sure Feathergrin is coming back to Canterlot. He dropped off the divination just before we left Bridle Shores." His eyes scan the room one, slowly, and he sighs. "I never thought I would miss the palace so much. But I'm glad to be coming back to you." Whether the slip was intentional or not, he doesn't make a show of correcting himself. "Sanctified must be going mad without somepony to put him into time-out."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not directly, but you should know that I'm pretty sure Feathergrin is coming back to Canterlot. He dropped off the divination just before we left Bridle Shores." His eyes scan the room one, slowly, and he sighs. "I never thought I would miss the palace so much. But I'm glad to be coming back to you." Whether the slip was intentional or not, he doesn't make a show of correcting himself. "Sanctified must be going mad without somepony to put him into time-out."
    Princess Luna did not bother correcting that little slip as well, oddly enough. Instead, she replied, "Well, the palace could do with more poines that actually have their head screwed on right, that's for sure. Also, I just met Feathergrin. Moonshine has some unresolved issues to work out with him at the moment."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Princess Luna did not bother correcting that little slip as well, oddly enough. Instead, she replied, "Well, the palace could do with more poines that actually have their head screwed on right, that's for sure. Also, I just met Feathergrin. Moonshine has some unresolved issues to work out with him at the moment."
    Dead silence and stillness. In fact, one could be forgiven for assuming that the connection stalled for a moment. "I see. Well, I hope she doesn't break him; bards are hard to replace. Did he seem more oblivious than usual when you saw him?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Dead silence and stillness. In fact, one could be forgiven for assuming that the connection stalled for a moment. "I see. Well, I hope she doesn't break him; bards are hard to replace. Did he seem more oblivious than usual when you saw him?"
    "Not that I noticed, but I wasn't particularly paying attention. Though you probably should be assured that Feathergrin will be fine, given that you'll be a grandparent soon," Princess Luna chuckled. "Mothers don't break their husbands this early. At least in my experience."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not that I noticed, but I wasn't particularly paying attention. Though you probably should be assured that Feathergrin will be fine, given that you'll be a grandparent soon," Princess Luna chuckled. "Mothers don't break their husbands this early. At least in my experience."
    The image of Moonlight phases out, leaving the room empty. Several minutes pass before the shadows part to reveal his simulacrum again, and apparently he forgot to renew his ocular prism spell in between bouts of what must have been, based on his rate of breath, particularly strenuous calisthenics. "I...need to go. We'll be in touch, and I'll see you tonight, at the latest."

When he fades out again, it is to Striker and Cover eying him with perplexed expressions. "I don't think I've ever heard some of those before. Might write them down; never hurts to diversify your curses."

"We get naps, and then we march. This tent is as permanent as it gets. I need to...walk."

Both Motes watch the Moonbringer pace away. Striker grunts confusedly. "Well, you heard him. We're out by dusk - spread it."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

The image of Moonlight phases out, leaving the room empty. Several minutes pass before the shadows part to reveal his simulacrum again, and apparently he forgot to renew his ocular prism spell in between bouts of what must have been, based on his rate of breath, particularly strenuous calisthenics. "I...need to go. We'll be in touch, and I'll see you tonight, at the latest."

When he fades out again, it is to Striker and Cover eying him with perplexed expressions. "I don't think I've ever heard some of those before. Might write them down; never hurts to diversify your curses."

"We get naps, and then we march. This tent is as permanent as it gets. I need to...walk."

Both Motes watch the Moonbringer pace away. Striker grunts confusedly. "Well, you heard him. We're out by dusk - spread it."
    Princess Luna stared at the empty space that the simulacrum once occupied, her brow again slightly creased in thought. "Interesting..." she mouthed out loud. Then she straightened, taking one last wistful look at her telescope and the afternoon sky, before opening the double doors to the observatory and showing herself out.

A long night awaited the Princess.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

It was not an unfamiliar realm that Moonshine found herself in when she drifted off to sleep that night, nor some frightening apparition hissing portents of dire warning in her ear. Instead, her eyes closed and opened again, and she beheld the interior of a simple cottage, moonlight streaming through a solitary window to cast a dim glow over a dripping candle that adorned the table. That she was dreaming didn't surprise her. What was peculiar was that she knew it was a dream at the time of the event itself. She had skills, some of them magical, but falling into nocturnal lucidity was never one of them.

"Have a seat." Moonlight's voice is brusque as his face appears from shadow, already sitting down next to the table.

"This is our old house..." the paladin murmurs. "I haven't been here since...father, am I in trouble?" Her voice takes on a tone of honest incredulity.

"Yes." Apparently the moon priest doesn't have it in him to lie tonight.

Moonshine holds her ground. "Are you upset because it is his, or because I didn't tell you?"

Moonlight sighs and reaches under the table, pulling out two glasses and a bottle of, appropriately enough, her namesake. Well, she doubted that the illicit beverage was what he had in mind when he named her, but the suitability of the choice wasn't lost on her. "Confused, not upset."

She eyes the drinks he pours warily. "Will that work in here?"

"It's a state secret, but yes. Alcohol, opiates, anesthesia, congress..."

"Father!" She blanches in shock.

"They're all replicated in the dream state," Moonlight continues as though nothing had happened. "Depending on how rough you are, some function might slip in the conscious world, but the positive effects of those are all mental, anyway."

"I...would argue against some of the positive effects of that last one being purely mental..." Moonshine nickers, still blushing.

Moonlight shrugs. "Conceded. Point is, have a blast. No addictions or poison tonight."

Moonshine surprises herself when she reaches for the glass and downs the contents in a single gulp. The drink tastes like sour corn, and she's tipsy almost immediately. "Eurgh...how s-strong izzis?"

Moonlight's eyebrows hit his mane. "As strong as you want or expect it to be...what's your experience with this?"

"Ahhh...celebrashuns before my vowsh." Moonshine admits anxiously.

"You mean before your liver or your divine resistance to toxins was fully developed? Figures." He sighs. "Which of your friends talked you into that? Was it Mullfield? I should have a stop by his mind and-"

"Father..." Her repetition of the identified, while sterner, is somewhat diluted by the slurring of speech. "It was twelve yearsh ago. I don't think Mullfield even remembersh my mane." She pauses and hiccups softly. "Erm, name. Ughh...why are you here?"

"I want to know why you didn't tell me. This isn't exactly the kind of situation a father dreams of experiencing. I had to find out from Luna, and I'd much rather that situation had been reversed."

"I only knew jusht before you left..." Moonshine's ears flatten and she sits defeatedly down on the ground. "But the...time wasn't right, I...wanted us all to be here, to have time and mind to be happy."

"I think we would have been happier to know you weren't hiding anything from us." Moonlight states flatly. "I don't have sympathy for Feathergrin at the best of times, but that must have hurt. Especially since Snowstorm had to give him the five-minute version."

Her eyes fill with tears, and she can't bear to look him in the face. "How did you...?"

"You weren't the first one I visited tonight. You tossed and turned for a good hour before I finally got you in here." A pause. "Incidentally, he has wildly unrealistic expectations of what you'd look like in lingerie."

Dark-hued cheeks turn scarlet. "You didn't hit him again, did you??"

He shrugs. "Like I said, it's all mental; the bruise won't take."

She finds herself downing another glass of liquid to see if it will make the embarrassment go away. It doesn't. "Whyyyyyy..."

"It gets worse. I'm coming back to Canterlot with the Moon Motes."

"You shtopped to get me an honor guard?!"

"Hm? Oh, no, they're incidental. I'm not going to foalsit you, Moonshine. I make it a point to not act down to anypony who could beat me in a fight."

Moonshine furrows her brow. "You look over Sunshinesh shoulder all the time..." At a brief 'ahem' from her father, her eyes align themselves back into place and she snickers despite herself. "Ooh."

"We understand the whys. And you have better pattern recognition than Feathergrin, so it won't happen again. Just make good use of us; whatever duties you may think we have were just usurped by your wellbeing."

Maybe it's the alcohol. Maybe it's bitterness. But her tone becomes spiteful against her will. "You're sho shoft with your wordsh shumtimesh."

The priest stands, and the table evaporates into mist. For a drunken moment, Moonshine fears she's gone quite too far. But then she smells night lilies, feels a warm presence around her barrel, and realizes that she's being embraced.

"I'm not easy to love, or to know." He murmurs, and she feels a wetness slide down her shoulder. "I run on...calculations. But I do love you, Little Moon. Both of you, now. That never changes."

She feels a kiss on her brow, and he takes a step back. "Father..." she whispers.

"I'll see you in the morning. Sleep tight." With a wave of the hoof as sudden as her appearance, he is alone. The cottage fades away in place of an open field, giving him a perfect view of an everfull moon. A better place. A peaceful place.

It is a long time before he finds the strength to speak again, and this time he can't keep the abject weakness out of his voice. "Are you there...?"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

It is a long time before he finds the strength to speak again, and this time he can't keep the abject weakness out of his voice. "Are you there...?"
    As if on command, the air around Moonlight darkened perceptibly, as if a veil of shadows descended on him. He suddenly find himself wrapped in warmth, as if there was somepony who had reached out from behind to hug him. Then just as quickly it disappeared, just as Princess Luna herself strode up beside Moonlight, seemingly appearing out of thin air. "I am always here, my faithful priest" the Princess said softly. The alicorn paused and gave him an apologetic nuzzle on the cheek. "I suppose I should apologise for that slip of tongue. Alas, my haste in wanting to congratulate you on your new family member seemed to have backfired."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

As if on command, the air around Moonlight darkened perceptibly, as if a veil of shadows descended on him. He suddenly find himself wrapped in warmth, as if there was somepony who had reached out from behind to hug him. Then just as quickly it disappeared, just as Princess Luna herself strode up beside Moonlight, seemingly appearing out of thin air. "I am always here, my faithful priest" the Princess said softly. The alicorn paused and gave him an apologetic nuzzle on the cheek. "I suppose I should apologise for that slip of tongue. Alas, my haste in wanting to congratulate you on your new family member seemed to have backfired."
    Her presence seems to strengthen his composure, if only slightly; he appears less weary, but leans gratefully into the contact nonetheless. "Positions reversed, I probably would have done the same. It may not be easier, but it feels...safer when it's from you. Gave me time to brace myself, too." He gives her a playful smile. "This will sound especially foalish to you, but I can't help feeling that I'm too young and...unreliable to be a grandfather. I don't know whether I can give them the support they deserve from me. Sunshine is better at familial tasks than I, by far."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Her presence seems to strengthen his composure, if only slightly; he appears less weary, but leans gratefully into the contact nonetheless. "Positions reversed, I probably would have done the same. It may not be easier, but it feels...safer when it's from you. Gave me time to brace myself, too." He gives her a playful smile. "This will sound especially foalish to you, but I can't help feeling that I'm too young and...unreliable to be a grandfather. I don't know whether I can give them the support they deserve from me. Sunshine is better at familial tasks than I, by far."
    Luna chuckled softly. "Nopony is prepared when it's their time to be a grandparent, dear Moonlight. I seen it all too many times. Some put on a brave face, some panic, some cry happily... but never prepared." She paused, her ears lowering slightly. "And then there are times when I wonder if I would ever get to experience that joy..."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Luna chuckled softly. "Nopony is prepared when it's their time to be a grandparent, dear Moonlight. I seen it all too many times. Some put on a brave face, some panic, some cry happily... but never prepared." She paused, her ears lowering slightly. "And then there are times when I wonder if I would ever get to experience that joy..."
    He gives her a slightly amused side-eye. "I seem to recall volunteering to take you halfway once or twice. You're right, though - it's not something you really make plans for, especially since it's entirely out of your hooves. I can't very well blame Moonshine for it, and I can't watch the foal as closely as I watched her. I'm...support. At least when I was raising her I could default to protectiveness when I didn't know what I was doing. ...Oh, by Your horn, Feathergrin is going to be a father."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

He gives her a slightly amused side-eye. "I seem to recall volunteering to take you halfway once or twice. You're right, though - it's not something you really make plans for, especially since it's entirely out of your hooves. I can't very well blame Moonshine for it, and I can't watch the foal as closely as I watched her. I'm...support. At least when I was raising her I could default to protectiveness when I didn't know what I was doing. ...Oh, by Your horn, Feathergrin is going to be a father."
    Princess Luna let out a very unprincess-like giggle. "Fear not, dear Moonlight. I think he's actually taking it better than you. Poor stallion is actually looking forward to it. Bardic instincts is no substitute for experience, I fear." Then Princess looked up at the moonlit skies, her turquoise eyes gazing at the field of stars that now filled the sky. "You're marching tonight, yes?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Princess Luna let out a very unprincess-like giggle. "Fear not, dear Moonlight. I think he's actually taking it better than you. Poor stallion is actually looking forward to it. Bardic instincts is no substitute for experience, I fear." Then Princess looked up at the moonlit skies, her turquoise eyes gazing at the field of stars that now filled the sky. "You're marching tonight, yes?"
    With safety comes comfort, and with comfort comes relaxation. Secure in the dreamscape, next to his Princess, years of bitter escape the priest like a gunshot in an empty room. "He doesn't understand the concept of responsibility period. Zaros is the only one of his siblings who isn't an implement of chaos, and he's the one that tried to kill you. And regardless of anything I do, my grandchild is going to spend most of their life under the hoof of that...criminal."

He sighs softly, a muscle in his jaw still twitching. "I...I can't hate him absolutely. That he tries to be better for her is...comforting. It means more than he thinks it does. But I don't know if she'll keep him in line.

Did I...pass over a question? I know I do that when I rant; I'm sorry."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

With safety comes comfort, and with comfort comes relaxation. Secure in the dreamscape, next to his Princess, years of bitter escape the priest like a gunshot in an empty room. "He doesn't understand the concept of responsibility period. Zaros is the only one of his siblings who isn't an implement of chaos, and he's the one that tried to kill you. And regardless of anything I do, my grandchild is going to spend most of their life under the hoof of that...criminal."

He sighs softly, a muscle in his jaw still twitching. "I...I can't hate him absolutely. That he tries to be better for her is...comforting. It means more than he thinks it does. But I don't know if she'll keep him in line.

Did I...pass over a question? I know I do that when I rant; I'm sorry."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Note, I'm going by the notion that chaos isn't inherently bad. It's the extremes of both chaos and order that should be avoided.

"Yes... yes you did,"
    Princess Luna said with an small, amused smile, glancing down at her high priest. "Moonlight, perhaps your fixation on the his inherent talent for chaos is getting a little... how would I put it, unhealthy. Has he not served the Crown well since he joined? Perhaps a number of regrettable incidents, but I'd think his contribution overall are a net positive, yes?" Luna's voice was soothing, trying to reassure her old friend. "Have faith in your son-in-law... and your daughter. They would thank you for that."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes... yes you did,"
    Princess Luna said with an small, amused smile, glancing down at her high priest. "Moonlight, perhaps your fixation on the his inherent talent for chaos is getting a little... how would I put it, unhealthy. Has he not served the Crown well since he joined? Perhaps a number of regrettable incidents, but I'd think his contribution overall are a net positive, yes?" Luna's voice was soothing, trying to reassure her old friend. "Have faith in your son-in-law... and your daughter. They would thank you for that."
    "He hasn't served the crown," he growls through gritted teeth. "He's served himself. That Moonshine happens to be an extension is a happy coincidence. Everypony seems willing to forget that he's spent most of his life learning how to lie. He could burn half of Canterlot down around our ears before we thought to looks his way, unless we're wary. And if no one can be impartial, then someone has to be biased in the other direction."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

"He hasn't served the crown," he growls through gritted teeth. "He's served himself. That Moonshine happens to be an extension is a happy coincidence. Everypony seems willing to forget that he's spent most of his life learning how to lie. He could burn half of Canterlot down around our ears before we thought to looks his way, unless we're wary. And if no one can be impartial, then someone has to be biased in the other direction."
    "Straight and narrow as always, dear Moonlight." Princess Luna said with a little sigh, flicking her starry tail. "Sometimes I wonder how you ended up serving me, and not my sister. Your forthright attitude would suited the Sun well enough." Then she gave him a lopsided grin. "But still refreshing, nonetheless. Perhaps you are right. Feathergrin is indeed pursuing his own goals. But thus far, he demonstrated he, at the very least, considers service to the Crown to be perfectly aligned with his own interests." She looked up again, at the moon. "And I'm quite willing to ensure he continues to hold that view."
    Last edited by Grif; 2015-03-30 at 10:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"Straight and narrow as always, dear Moonlight." Princess Luna said with a little sigh, flicking her starry tail. "Sometimes I wonder how you ended up serving me, and not my sister. Your forthright attitude would suited the Sun well enough." Then she gave him a lopsided grin. "But still refreshing, nonetheless. Perhaps you are right. Feathergrin is indeed pursuing his own goals. But thus far, he demonstrated he, at the very least, considers service to the Crown to be perfectly aligned with his own interests." She looked up again, at the moon. "And I'm quite willing to ensure he continues to hold that view."
    A hoof finds its way to the side of the princess' face and nudges it gently aside and down, guiding it to oversee Moonlight's smirking face. "I saw what I wanted to become in you. Somepony I could aspire to walk beside. I'm not the best suited for the task, and I'm...lucky to be where I am now. But I didn't get here by being powerful, or flawless, or idealized. I'm fairly sure I'm none of those things. But I can say that I'm devoted to you, and it's that strongest piece that led me down this path. Even if I were blinding gold, a master of light magic, put on a pedestal as the perfect fit for the Church of the Sun, I'd still be with you. Otherwise...it wouldn't be me. I can't change that any more than I can change my cutie mark...in fact, it is my cutie mark.

If I seem straightforward, it's because I'm comfortable here. If you tried to tell Eclipse what you just told me, he wouldn't be able to process it - I didn't serve as one of your spymasters because of my good looks. But I've never held anything back from you and I don't plan to start. I owe you more than honesty, but it's a good facet to maintain. It's...surprisingly exhausting, having to spend most of the day hiding something, if not outright lying. I can't deny being...'straight and narrow' once in a while doesn't feel right."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

A hoof finds its way to the side of the princess' face and nudges it gently aside and down, guiding it to oversee Moonlight's smirking face. "I saw what I wanted to become in you. Somepony I could aspire to walk beside. I'm not the best suited for the task, and I'm...lucky to be where I am now. But I didn't get here by being powerful, or flawless, or idealized. I'm fairly sure I'm none of those things. But I can say that I'm devoted to you, and it's that strongest piece that led me down this path. Even if I were blinding gold, a master of light magic, put on a pedestal as the perfect fit for the Church of the Sun, I'd still be with you. Otherwise...it wouldn't be me. I can't change that any more than I can change my cutie mark...in fact, it is my cutie mark.

If I seem straightforward, it's because I'm comfortable here. If you tried to tell Eclipse what you just told me, he wouldn't be able to process it - I didn't serve as one of your spymasters because of my good looks. But I've never held anything back from you and I don't plan to start. I owe you more than honesty, but it's a good facet to maintain. It's...surprisingly exhausting, having to spend most of the day hiding something, if not outright lying. I can't deny being...'straight and narrow' once in a while doesn't feel right."
    Princess Luna looked right back, a warm smile gracing her regal lips. "Of course, young Moonlight. That I understand. Sometimes I forget I juggle so many masks that it just comes naturally to me, these days. Only in dreams... well, sometimes not even in dreams, do I actually let down my guard." Her eyes seemed quite distant for a moment, before she blinked.

"Now where was I... oh yes, you were going to march tonight, yes? I'm getting reports of unusual disappearances all around Canterlot. Would appreciate if you keep a lookout on the way."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Princess Luna looked right back, a warm smile gracing her regal lips. "Of course, young Moonlight. That I understand. Sometimes I forget I juggle so many masks that it just comes naturally to me, these days. Only in dreams... well, sometimes not even in dreams, do I actually let down my guard." Her eyes seemed quite distant for a moment, before she blinked.
    "You can always let your mane down in mine."

"Now where was I... oh yes, you were going to march tonight, yes? I'm getting reports of unusual disappearances all around Canterlot. Would appreciate if you keep a lookout on the way."
    A moment of disappointment crosses over his face, but he quickly and dutifully shifts his demeanor toward a more businesslike bent. "From what sources? Usually 'disappearances' just mean some young roans decided to sneak out of the estate with a rival house's 'liaison'."