New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past IC 3

@Luthon: As the haunting music continues to be heard amongst the trees, you take back your cloak and wave a feather as you begin to levitate and fly back towards the place where you might have been attacked, leaving Rentse and Alex behind.

The canopy is extremely tall. You realize you could reach the top and be flying above the forest, but that would be an exercise in futility, since the canopy is so thick, seeing anything from above would be impossible.

You decide to fly through the trees, as silent as possible, until the haunting music can no longer be heard.

You finally reach the site of the battle, but find the camp ransacked.

Everything taken. Except for a book.

You do spot Violet who sits against a tree as the sound of a wave echoes down the poorly traced path.

@Alex & reintse: Alex carries the young lad in his arms and spreads his wings as he begins flying through the tall, dark trees and towards the music.

The webs get in your face as you fly through the trees and you can spot owls, pixies, and a young fawn cocooned against trees. dead now. Their body bereft of blood long ago.

Then, a clearing, marked by mushrooms and covered in thick webbing against a large tree. In fact, the area is rather small, but towering oaks with silver lining dot the clearing, which is completely dark.

There, standing still, you spot Meic. He looks quite nervous as the music seems to echo through the treetops.

@Archaidous, Aradia & Irrally: Seeing as the path is blocked by the thick trees, you decide to walk along this natural wall of wood, hopeful to find a way to turn around and check the source of the music.

All three start shoving away long patches of cobweb as you keep on your path.

A growl can be heard above as a dry mummy, captured in a cocoon tries with all its might to escape, but is unable to do so. Completely helpless and about 80ft. up in a tree, between two branches.

Whatever caught it, must've decided it would not make for a tasty meal.

Then, scuttling a few feet away.

Too quick for anyone to notice.

You all turn your around as something quick darts between the trees.

And that music continues on...as if calling you in. Drawing you ever closer.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-08-15 at 03:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Violet, letting the spell lapse, casts blur, sings a short song, and chases the mummies, hoping to catch them, and re-acquire the parties equipment.

As she closes on them, she tries to quietly remove the backpack from the rearmost one, silently lifting it from him, and dumping it in her own bag, thinking that allowing these creatures to steal their items was... wrong.

(1d20+26)[37] hide
    (1d20+18)[34] move silently
    (1d20+14)[30] sleight of hand
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Meic thank the gods we found you. Alex says flying over to his friend. Luthon went off to get our belongings as well as our guide, do you know where the others are? Alex asks as he draws his sword, completely nude now that the cloak had been taken back once more.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Irraly and Aradia stood behind the wizard she almost jumped as she heard the sound of one of those mummies, and when she saw it all tied u she looked to the others. This is not good. Whatever lives here has been blessed by the Queen of spiders, we should surly..... thats when she heard it, the unmistakeable sound of being hunted, like prey. A fly in a spider web, and a very big fly at that. They are leading us, if we turn back whatever is out there will attack, and I bet if we move forward we will find our allies, in a very similar situation... Irraly says extremely worried as she watches the shadows.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

When Lúthon sees Violet, he fires a quick spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Message.

"Violet. This is Lúthon. If you want to talk, just whisper. Grab Meic's spellbook if you have somewhere to put it. I have a spell active that can locate items... If you need to see me, let me know. I have a spell that should let you do that too."

After watching Violet disregard his words due to the sheer speed at which she took off after the mummies, Lúthon then picks up Meic's book and focuses again on Alex's Bag of Holding, then flies towards it.
    Last edited by sparky9042; 2013-08-15 at 12:10 PM.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

@Violet: You fly, blurred and hopefully, well hidden.

The mummies are moving towards what you can guess is the direction of the Eastern Coven or further north, but that is hard to tell.

The mummies growl at the air as one speaks out.

"The way out is over yonder! Master has given us our orders...we march until dawn!"

Puzzled at this news you stealthily place your hands around the bulky haversack, strapped tight around the mummy's back and try and pull it off as silently as possible.

With a click from the buckle, the haversack comes out and drops you to the ground as the mummies stop on their tracks and turn around to look at you on the floor with Luthon's pack.

"That's the one I stepped on earlier....and alone."

@Luthon: You fly with a spherical veil of illusion towards the location of your haversack and stop a few feet away as you see the eight mummies looking down at Violet on the ground with a bag on her and all the monsters looking down at her.

That's when you send in the message to her, alerting her to your presence.

@Irraly, Aradia,& Archaidous: You keep moving through the wall of trees as the cobwebs get thicker and thicker.

At long last, you find a turn in amidst the trees and see there is a hill and a slope leading down, marked by mushrooms and more sticky strands.

You can see different kinds of animals cocooned and dead within the the strands.

Fresh kills. Among them, a few shimmerlings from the swarm hours ago. A bear cub, and a few mallards.

The slope goes down some 100ft feet and, through more delicate webbing, you can spot Alex, Reintse and Meic at the foot of a tree.

The song keeps echoing through the trees as you swear one of the largest trees moves, but only for an instant.

Shadows cover the canopy, allowing no moonlight to seep here.

@Alex, Reintse & Meic: Finally reunited, you see that the young lad and the nude paladin have finally caught up with you.

That's when a voice is heard from somewhere above. A female's voice. Very ancient and in Sylvan, so not all could understand it.

You are not of salt and sand...hmmm... you smell fresh. Alive.

@Luthon & Violet: The mummies begin to close in on the bag and the little fey, but you believe you have the advantage:

Spoiler
    Show
    Luthon

Mummies x8

Violet
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-08-15 at 01:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

As Alex hears a voice from above he looks around trying to see anything in the darkness as he speaks in Celestial, and then repeats in common if there is no reply. Please great creature of the fey woods do not harm us. We were sent here to stop the ones of salt and sand. Those who are destroying the woods, and along with it the creatures of the woods. From the Webs I assume you would be the great Enoka or one of her broad. Alex says bowing his head as he makes a clear sign that he is not going for his weapon. The Covens have asked us to save these woods, including your kind. After all what forest can grow without a spiders touch? Is it not they who keep balance in check. Alex says kindly to the female voice, not really sure if it was her or perhaps something that had been caught long ago.

8. - Top - End - #428

As Irraly looks on and sees the gentle slope she is happy to see her friends, but as a large tree seems to move she stops everyone, her hands going a mile a minute forgetting she was not in the underdark.

Spoiler
    Show
    She is wording out that there is something big down there and that they should wait their to see what happens, but well no one knows this as no drow sign language.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: As the song continues, you notice things moving around you.

Big things.

Bigger things.

Silently crawling down the trees or descending on silver threads.

The voice replies, now in Common.

Balance, yes... Those that trail salt and sand have broken it. And now I hunger. My family hungers. The deer and bears are gone, reduced to a crusty shell. My kind goes thirsty. But now I have three that have so gladly volunteered to save my brood, unless...

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Alex watches as the creatures descend from all around gulping he looks to where the voice comes from. They have destroyed your home and made you hungry. I can understand that fair one. But if you kill those who have come to help you who will stop the ones of salt and sand who destroy you food? When you are so hungry that you can not move they will come. They know you are strong, and they fear you because of it. Look at the forest around you and how few of his minions have come here great creatures. Alex says speaking to them all. Who will bring you food if those that offer aid to you are instead used as food? Who will bring back the days where your brod and you were all happy and well fed? Please at least allow me a meeting with you, I shall lay down my sword here and now to prove I mean no ill intent and only wish to talk so that we both may have what we wish. After all as the saying Goes Victory to the Spider. As it is they who are the patient hunters who know when to strike. So please allow me, this mortal who does not deserve such an honor to gaze upon you and try to find a way to please you as well as keeping my friends and my own lives. Alex says before laying his sword down by his feet.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Lúthon summons a thick, heavy cloud of fog covering the mummies, leaving Violet just outside and the mummy potentially attacking her just inside. Afterwards, the elf descends rapidly to where Violet is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Solid Fog as specified.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

12. - Top - End - #432
    Firbolg in the Playground

Archadious is happy to see the others again, but he notices the surroundings and resists calling out to them. He sees them looking anxiously around them and speaking with something. Archadious narrows his eyes then holds his hand or gesturing for Irraly and Aradia to not go any further.

"It seems those 3 are conversing with something or someone. My guess is that it might be Enoka or her brood. I would recommend staying in hiding so that we might gain the element of surprise should we need to come to their aid."
    He then sucks behind the nearest tree and attempts to conceal himself, all while maintaining a watchful eye upon the others below.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+6)[17]

Readying a fog cloud spell should Alex and the others come under attack.
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

@Luthon: You fly down towards Violet as the mummies turn around to notice their comrade and his stolen pack.

Immediately, you conjure forth a blanket of fog that obscures all vision.

The mummies growl as one goes straight for Violet and throws its slat encrusted punch into the ground.

Fortuntely, it leaves a withering dent a few inches away from her.

The other mummies start moving, albeit slowly, out of the fog.

You can hear one of them gulping down something.

@Archaidous: You watch Alex, Meic and Reintse converse with some voice from above and decide to hide as best as possible against a nook between the trees.

Then, you feel it, like soft rain...

Silent webs that fall upon you from above, unnoticed.

@Alex: The voice laughs and it echoes through the treetops.

You wish to see me? Only a few have had the chance to do so and live to tell the tale: The fey with the autumn hair and the golden goddess and her guardians. Everyone else knows that walking into my domain does not bode well for them.

@Reintse: As the shapes in the shadows begin to descend silently around you, the voice addresses you.

You are the one who traveled with Her... yet she has been gone for so long. You are the one called Steiner. Her bard. I so wish to learn a new song...

An extremely large shadow covers the clearing as what you thought where trees begin moving around, clearly legs.

The voice does not come from it, however...

I hunger, yet I am a musician myself. Teach me a song..and perhaps we can reach an agreement.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

As the voice laughs and seems to echo throughout the treetops Alex bows his head. We had no choice great queen of spiders. Had we not used magic to get away the creatures of sand and salt would have gotten us, and then we to would be like them. Alex gets ready to say more when he hears her request, an odd one, but he would not say anything just yet, instead to allow the boy to make his own choice.

15. - Top - End - #435

GreenSorcererElf

Violet places the bag into her haversack, and seems to vanish into the mists, flying up, away from the mummy trying to kill her.

(1d20+26)[30] hide
    (1d20+18)[23] move silently.
    If needed(should not be, but...) (1d20+10)[21] tumble
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

16. - Top - End - #436

Irraly had been remaining silent all this time to afraid to even move a muscle as she waited and listened to the voices in the clearing. A Song? Something so simple, perhaps this is not one of Lolth's children after all. Irraly thinks to herself as she signals for Aradia to get Archaidous free, handing her her blade if needed be.

Next the drow unclothes herself praying to her goddes to guide her steps as she pulls out her harp and begins to play, lights dancing around her, all purple in varying shades of color as the she begins her song.

As the song begins, and the strings are strong by soft delicate hands, all that can be seen in the darkness are alluring lavender eyes, and pure white hair in a movement of color. A voice of an angel rings out in undercommon sing of struggle, darkness, and strength. An old chant they had used to pray to Lolth she seemed to change into one of beauty to not the goddess of the drow, but instead to spiderkind in and of itself. Slowly dancing and weaving in and out of all that gut in her way. Like a leaf on the wind, switching course when resistance was meet. As the song ended Irraly was standing in the center of the grove with her harp in hand and called out to the voice which had lured her friends in. Will the song I have sung for you suffice great mistress of arcanoids? I could always sing you another if you wish until we find one you like. Irraly answers in common not sure if the creature spoke the language of the deep.

Spoiler
    Show

Dance (1d20+7)[9]
    Sing (1d20+7)[24]
    Harp (1d20+6)[22]

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: As the tall shadows move above you, lifting their legs as thick and tall as trees, a being descends some forty feet above you on the great tree, covered in webs.

She looks elven, of medium size. Quite attractive and nude. But with a chitinous armor on her arms and shoulders, apparently growing from her, not placed.

She has long hair, down to her waist in copper colors. Her lips are painted black and you can´t help but notice she has six slits on her forehead, like scars.

The woman looks at you from above as many spiders begin to descend around the web covered clearing.

"I am an ancient one, mortal. A spirit that has existed here for a long time. I am Enoka and you have stumbled upon my traveling family. An odd choice. The more sentient ones leave my Hollow when they see the signs, yet you have come here, disrobed..."

The spiders begin to move around you, but not closing in as Meic looks up to the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Know. Arcana to ID her

"Such sacrifice is rarely given to me. I was last offered that during Windemere's reign, to appease me. Now I hunt, but to see the Golden One's guardians here...and not that mad one..."

@Violet: With much luck, you manage to take the Haversack with you and fly above, away from the growling mist.

@Luthon: With the spell still active, you determine where the bag is...

It's inside one of the mummies. Swallowed.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Reintse was shaken. Again he was mistaken for his father, but while he corrected even Balion when he made that mistake, Reintse wasn't too keen on correcting that... Glit began changing his glow, decorating the nightly forest in many colors as Reintse opened his mouth, embarrassing himself with a Sylvan poem he tried to recall hearing from his father.

"Do not falter, my little one,
    For the night's gentle caress.
    It's silky touch, never gone,
    For a moment, do not fess.

Embrace the wind's chill,
    The moonlight's shine.
    Can you feel the thrill,
    Surrounded by divine?"

He tried to continue, but his voice finally failed him, but the drow had stepped in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform - (1d20-1)[6]

Glit: Aid Another: (1d20+2)[15]

What?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

19. - Top - End - #439

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, flying out of the fog, tries to locate the mummy with the bag, recognizing it from the slash in it's bandages left by Alex's attack.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

As the beauty descends from above Alex is almost taken aback, was this why mortal men tried to come to the fey woods? He asked himself looking upon her and bowing his head. Must beautiful and gracious Enoka me being here disrobed is a matter of timing, and I hope you do not feel disrespected by such. Had I known I would have worn something befitting a noble of the forest as you and your brod must be. he says seductively as the demon in him seemed to enjoy what it saw. As for leaving who could turn away from such a lovely song, and a even lovelier voice. You are truly gifted to have such a voice. Alex says looking up once more at her, though as he had learned as a kid never looking directly into her eyes, as she was higher up then he was. I only hope that you can forgive us our trespasses. though a sacrifice it all depends on your outlook on such a thing. I will not offer up myself to you as food, but I can offer to you my serves until our time in these woods are over. Alex says with a charming smile as he looks upon her body but never meeting her eyes to not show her disrespect.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

@Reintse: With Glit as your faithful companion, you begin reciting a verse to this ancient Forest Dweller.

Enoka listens from above as Glit orbits around you, granting you some assistance, that your performance may be adequate for this strange fey.

Enoka´s smile turns to a grim expression as she looks down at you.

"Steiner has lost his edge, it would seem... eat them."

As the spider begin to move in for the kill, a different dance and song echoes through the web covered forest as Irraly begins to play her harp.

Enoka' raises her hand as the spiders stop their advancement and listens as you watch the scars on her forehead open to reveal an extra six eyes.

@Irraly: As you strum your harp and begin dancing the cobwebs swirl ominously around you as tiny spiders descend from the treetops and surround you in mid air.

The collsal spider above you lowers its eight eyes as stands motionless to yoru song.

In fact, Enoka´s brood crawls around you. You are not sure if they are going to pounce on you or are mesmerized by the music. Perhaps a reminder of the one who taught their mother her very first song so long ago.

With eyes shut, you dance around the arachnids, as you once did so long ago in Erehlei Cinlu. Your white hair brushing past the cobwebs as the purple light from your song illuminates in an eerie glow the ancient's den.

Once the song is done, you bow to Enoka as the spiders begin to retreat back to their trees.

The Ancient spider watches with amazement as she looks down at Reintse, Alex, and Meic.

"I had not heard such music....in a very long time, dark one. You have made this mother very happy."

@Alex: You look at Enoka and try to determine what she is.

Enoka is an aranea. A forest dweller. A shapeshifting spider with sorcerous abilities. They are said to be very cunning and some, the oldest at least, are able to gather around a large group of monstrous spiders to serve her.

This one, apparently, also enjoys the powers of a bard.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2013-08-15 at 04:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442

GreenSorcererElf

Violet thinks about following them, but, alas, realizes that nothing that she can do can succeed, due to the strangely heavy weight of the bag. Naked, she flies back to a tree, after retrieving the remaining spellbook.

Spoiler
    Show

Looks like no equipment for Violet.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Lúthon picks up Violet's Haversack, then takes a quick step away from the fog and casts a spell on himself, turning invisible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grabbing Haversack, taking 5 foot step back, casting Invisibility.

24. - Top - End - #444

It was my honor Enoka, mother of the spiders of the fey woods. Irraly says with a smile. Perhaps I could return some time to teach you some others when the mummies are gone and your children are not hungry. Irraly says keeping a open posture and her harp in hand. I have only been here in these woods 74 years and yet I am sad to say I have never meet you before. Your home has a beauty to it with all your webs. Where I come from you would be honored and praised as a goddess, and your webs would be asked for as a gift to make clothes. Irraly says explaining about her home city to the great spider.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

@Irraly: Enoka watches you from high abover her tree.

"Those...salt mummies. Many of my brood have fallen to them. There is no body left to poison. No blood to nurture from. One was left outside this camp as a warning, but I was told a group was seen traveling not too far from here."

Enoka watches her brood move around the trees.

"You have taught me a new song to appease my family in these dark days. Tell me, child. What would you like? Ask, and ye shall receive it. Enoka does not forget what was offered to her."

@Alex: As your praise Enoka, the Aranea's eyes fix on you as the hulking spider above you, as large as a forest itself looks down at you with its eight monstrous eyes.

"A mortal, nude and asking to mate with me? hahahahahhaha! You amuse me. The last mate I had was a most pleasant one...but he could not get awaty from my web soon enough."

@Luthon: With the mummies still in the fog, you take a few steps back and guise yourself invisibly.

Your spell allows to see which mummy has the bag in him. Whether it was swallowed completely or not, is a different matter.

The mummies growl as they farther away from the fog.

The one that almost killed Violet steps forth, but he isn't the one who took the magical contents. That one must be inside the fog.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

If I were not trying to save your home right now Enoka I would be thinking about taking you up on that challenge. Alex said with a kind smile showing that he knew she could catch him. Perhaps the next time we meet? he added a question clear on his voice.

27. - Top - End - #447

GreenSorcererElf

Violet, after ensuring that the mummies are out of sight, flies, naked, to some of the grass at the edge of the clearing, and starts weaving herself another dress of grass, the blades almost seeming to glow as she weaves them into place.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss
    Ileana, Godlings

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Lúthon focuses on the nearest Haversack instead of Alex's Bag of Holding, and if he can see it, uses his boots to teleport to it and grab it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a charge on the Dimension Stride Boots to teleport to the nearest Haversack. If I can, move to pick it up.
    Last edited by sparky9042; 2013-08-15 at 07:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449

As Enoka explains what has been going on with the salt mummies Irraly nods. It may be the same group we had to flee from. It was a very large group, 8 strong in total, and they caught us by surprise while some of us slept. Irraly says before thinking for a second about the boon she had been given. You are very gracious Enoka and your children are lucky to have a mother like you. Irraly says thinking of her own mother who would rather see her dead. Turning her soft Lavander eyes up to her the drow smiles before asking I ask that you may allow any with a password of my choosing that I must say now be allowed to pass without harm through your domain. As long as they bring an offering in return fitting of one as grand as you. This way you can always learn a new song for your children, or be brought food when these dark times have passed. Is this an acceptable request Enoka, or do I ask for to much? Irraly asks, clearly trying to be diplomatic in her approach and willing to ask for something else if Enoka were to ask.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

@Alex: Enoka looks down at you and smiles as the titanic spider covering all of you looks down its its eight eyes.

"Gordigule may have an issue with that, mortal. She is my eldest daughter. Hopefully, when this monster is put down, all will grow up as big as her."

@Irraly: Enoka's eight eyes fix on you as she nods.

"You have my blessing, dark elf. If my brood you shall find along your path, they will not attack you. I cannot, however, say the same for those that travel with you. My children are driven by instinct, and that instinct now is to feed. I shall relocate my brood elsewhere in the forest- there is clearly nothing else left to eat here."

Silvery webbing extends from Enoka and this one disappears in the treetops.