New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Gahad IC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gahad IC

Spoiler: Edward, Icarus, Chain
    Show
    Raymond brings Edward to the scene silently, letting the picture speak for itself, and listened. Listened closely, and when Edward came back from the other room, Ray said, "interrogating the corpse, you say?" While saying this, he draws the sword he'd been carrying with him since the ceremony, and placed the point gently in Hans' corpse. Let's see where this takes us... He makes sure that Edward is here to see what comes next, and waits for him as necessary, and does it slowly, but deliberately.

Spoiler: Icarus, Chain"
    Show
    Now I'm lost, what can you do that helps us in this regard? Though the place sounds like a nice option.
    "Don't give the Dungeon Master any ideas"
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Raymond, Edward, Chain
    Show

The sword pierces the dead man's chest easily. After a long, tense moment Hans twitches, fingers clutching at air and eyes fluttering open. His lips part and his jaw works with a groan. The dead man wraps his hands around the blade carefully and speaks in the same voice he had when he once lived.

"Ask two questions, and I shall answer."

Spoiler: Raymond
    Show

"Thou shalt only receive two answers, confer with the scarred one and choose good questions" The sword's voice is thick and syrup-y with the whisper of magic, though it still appears as the plain, serviceable blade it always has in Raymond's hand.

"Mine own suggestion, refrain from questions that can be answered simply."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Are you asking these questions In character and out loud or out of character?:O And like I said, who knows, Raymond's not asking enough questions!:P

Spoiler: Chain
    Show

Casting Speak with Dead. I am not automatically relaying their questions, but I'm not asking anything until they voice them.
    "Fear Vs. Hope. Hardly an even match"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man you see at your door is not in a guard's uniform (probably a smart move, given today's events) but you've seen him in one before.

Lady Iria he says, politely My name is Albert. Please forgive the intrusion. Commander Sebastian sent me to collect you. He has questions for you, regarding what happened in... on the podium, this afternoon.

You're not in any trouble!
    He says, quickly. He seems scared of you, though he is trying to hide it. He was sent, seemingly alone, to collect a wizard from her tower. That might scare anyone with a limited understanding of magic. It's just, because of the fog, not many witnesses... You understand.

So the man is here for you, then. He probably doesn't know that you have Rue and David safely locked away in your tower. The longer he stays the more likely he is to find out, but if you go with him the question of whether or not you can successfully lie to Sebastian arises.

(ooc: if you lie, accompany it with a Bluff check )

Edward
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Spellcraft" - (1d20+9)[29]
    You recognize the effects of the spell, though Raymond made neither the gestures nor spoke the words to intone it.

It's called Speak with Dead and it's, well, it's necromancy - a practice abhorrent to the Good Gods (and to Obad-hai, who you revere) and against nature's cycle.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2013-10-05 at 12:34 PM.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Not Iria (sorry)
    Show
    "What the..." says Edward from the edge of the door. Too late, though. He did not see nor hear the spell being cast, only grasping the meaning of his word when the full effects of the spell manifested: the corpse animates and speaks, sending a jolt of revulsion through Edward's spine.

He does not approach, wary, his brow contracted in a frown. In his book, someone capable of conversing with the dead is just a small step away from having them up and running about. Was this what his "instincts" were warning him about?

"This is the third time today that I've seen you do things you are not supposed to be able to do, and this one is particularly troubling. Perhaps it would be best if you explained yourself first, and quickly, for we have yet to decide upon the questions we need answered."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: not Iria
    Show
    Spoiler: Icarus
    Show
    Raymond's a smart man, not a very wise man...

And it was an OOC question, answered by your post.
    Raymond, who seems strangely at ease, looks casually at Edward, and his face immediately takes on a more concerned expression. "I'll be happy to answer your questions, in a more private setting, but right now we have a matter of getting the information we need." He kept his sword-arm completely still, in lieu of moving the sword-point further through Hans' chest, making new cuts. He then thinks of the questions they might want to ask, gathering the most information possible from them.

"I'd say we want to ask a question in the form of 'tell us everything that happened here 10 minutes prior to your death'. And one question pertaining to a specific individual we both know of." He purposefully made this a bit ambiguous, but understandable to Edward, in the off-chance that there were people listening. Though in the chance that there was someone listening, they probably already knew too much anyway, but any information kept from prying ears is good.
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

No Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Edward might not be entirely confortable with the current situation, but he is nothing if not pragmatic. He decides to take things in stride and think about the questions first, and worry about the questioner later.

"Well, then. I will let the matter drop for the time being, but I will have you know that I am more than a little disturbed by that.

Moving to the matter at hand, I've been in the kitchen and I what I saw suggests that two people were dining together tonight here, but only one body remains. The other might either be a whitness or one of the killers.

I'm telling you this because, as far as my knowledge goes, answers from corpses are rarely as detailed and informative as one might wish, and the more direct the question is the clearer the answer one gets. Perhaps we should start with the identity of the killer, and depending on the answer maybe inquire about that other person that was here..."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: not Iria
    Show
    Raymond, though still as he his, shifts his weight during the discussion on the questions. "So you suggest for the first question something like 'What is the full name and title of all the people that were involved in the battle today resulting in your death?' and for the second something akin to 'What was the full name and title of the person here with you right before the attack on you (other than possibly me), and what was the nature of the relationship with this person?' That would be specific enough, I recon."
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Still not Iria :D
    Show
    "Something along those lines, yes. I'm afraid I only have an academic knowledge of the functioning of the spell, never having used it myself... Let's start with the question about the name of the killers, or killers. We should probably make our final decision about the second question after hearing the answer to the first"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: not Iria, again...
    Show
    Ray nodded at this comment from Edward and turned his head back to the corpse on the floor. "My first question is thus: What are the full names and titles of the people directly involved in your death?" Though he tried to be specific, he also didn't want any possibly valuable information to be excluded by the wording of the question, so made it direct as well, to get the most useful answer possible, at least in his eyes.

Spoiler: Icarus
    Show
    Everything that Ray says and is after the ':' is the question, just in the case it wasn't obvious yet.

Spoiler: "Everyone who's already reading the larger spoiler anyway, OOC
    Show
    The weekend is over once more, and I will default back to my busy week schedule of few posts, assume I'm okay with Edward's possible second question if it's along the lines of what Ray has already said as an option for such.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

10. - Top - End - #190

Spoiler: Raymond and Chain
    Show

The sword takes a moment after Raymond gives the first question, clearly mulling it over for weight or any flaws. After a moment it 'speaks', though only Raymond and the Corpse can hear.

"Awake fully corpse, and attend thy current purpose! Whom was it, by Title and House and Name, that hath slain thee and laid thy body low?"

"That's because you think of hope as something light and fragile. My version of hope has calluses and dirt under her fingernails and isn't past bringing brass knuckles to a fight."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Not Iria
    Show
    Han's voice comes from his corpse - an eerie sight, given how obvious it is that the man is dead.

I was slain by the Commander Sebastian, and by a number of men with him whose names and ranks I do not know.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

12. - Top - End - #192

Griffon

Chain only:
    Spoiler
    Show

Iria keeps her features imperious despite this unexpected and very badly timed development. She does put on a look of irritation and disdain for the man's benefit. "Does the Commander intend, then, to answer my questions regarding what he may or may not know of the disaster that befell us this afternoon? For his sake, I certainly hope so." She fixes the messenger with a cold gaze, her pale face made paler by grief and stress. "Wait here. I shall need to change briefly"-- she's still wearing the gown splattered with her nephew's blood-- "but it will take no more than three or four minutes. Do not come inside; the room is trapped."

She leaves the nervous lackey at the foot of the stairs, closing the door in his face, and bounds up the staircase as fast as she can, stopping along the way in her actual bedroom to gather up a set of her usual wizard's robes -- the red brocade with the intricate geometric gold-thread designs, she thinks, remembering all the blood. What does the pompous bloody fellow want? Is this a trap? Oh Gods, I had no time to prepare new spells, no time-- She heads to a drawer and pulls it open, revealing a hodge-podge of those alchemical ingredients and potions she keeps in here rather than upstairs; she hesitates over these briefly and then slips a valuable potion of invisibility, a vial of cure light wounds, and a small smokestick into her belt pouch. She then checks to make sure the massive armoire in the corner of this room is as empty as she remembers it, and yes, apart from a couple of moth-eaten old robes, there is room for the Queen and the baby to hide if need be.

Iria then heads up the stairs to Rue and David. After stepping into the room she hastily explains the situation to the Queen, then sets her features in a grim expression. "To be blunt, Rue, I do not trust Sebastian's motives in wanting to question me, because I trust very, very few people today. I will come back as soon as I am able... if they do not imprison me." Or kill me."You must stay here with David. As you know the front door is trapped. The mechanism is simple; do not step on the welcome mat, but look for a tiny alcove in the wall to the left of the door and push down the button inside it until you hear a click. Only open the door to myself, your brother or Edward."

Iria takes a deep breath, looking around to see if she's forgotten anything. Her eyes light upon her spellbook. If only... but no, there's too great a risk they might take it from her. Instead, she picks up her only other dagger (generally used inappropriately to cut her food) and slips it out of sight behind her belt pouch. "All right. The door below this one is unlocked; in that room is an armoire big enough for you and David to hide in if you can hear anyone other than us entering. You can also reach the roof by climbing the stairs. Naxos has a pigeoncoop up there - he was breeding them - and there are various pieces of junk you could hide in or behind." She pauses for breath. "Leave the window to this room open, and the downstairs room if you can. If something happens to me and Thought can get free, he will come to tell you what has happened."

She reaches for the younger woman's hand and squeezes it. "Your brother and Edward will be back soon, with food. I will return as soon as I'm able."

With that, Iria is down the stairs again, dressed much more like herself, feeling both angry - how dare this petty soldier-beaurocrat disturb her, today of all days? - and worried (could he have been involved somehow? It was so well-organized, so planned; it must've taken many people and great preparation).

When she gets down to the front door again, she opens it, gives her haughtiest look to the servant before stepping across the mat, then casually resets the trap in such a way as to make it look like she's just reaching for her keys. Once outside, she locks the door, and turns to the lackey. Thought, on her shoulder, screams at him wordlessly.

"Well," says the wizard, "Take us to your master."

Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-10-07 at 06:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Iria
    Show
    Albert waits patiently for you to get your things - not least because he is now quivering in fear of you. He doesn't respond to your questions, assuming from your tone that they were rhetorical in nature.

Rue pays close attention to your instructions. The woman might not be as smart as you are (of course, few people are) but she's intelligent enough to recognize how important what you're saying is, and to do what you say. When you squeeze her hand she squeezes back; With Sebastian, take on an air of haughty superiority. Pretend that you're better than everyone else because of your parentage - he responds to that kind of thing - but agree with whatever he says if you possibly can. If you make him think you're 'on his side' he won't look as deeply at you. She takes the opportunity to pull you in for a quick hug thank you. Be careful. We'll come for you if you're not back by sunset.

When you return Albert is waiting almost exactly where you left him. He leads you, quickly and in silence, to the Guards' barracks on nearly the opposite side of the palace grounds, built into the wall nearest the city proper. When there he opens the door for you, announces your presence to Sebastian (even though he is less then ten feet away at a round table in the empty common room) and hurries off, presumably relieved to be away from you.

Ah, Lady Iria Sebastian says with a smile. He stands for you, as is proper for a gentleman welcoming a lady, and pulls a chair out for you near his. You notice that he is wearing armor and has his sword still strapped to his hip. It's not a plaything and he's not an amateur - you're quite sure he could kill you with it, should he need to. Please excuse the intrusion. I find myself needing to speak to many people in a very short amount of time.

Assuming you sit, he returns to his own chair and continues speaking without giving you much chance to respond. If you don't mind, my lady, I'd like to ask you a few questions about this afternoon - and about this morning. I am given to understand that you were originally scheduled to go hunting before dawn with the then-Prince and a number of others including Commander Luca. Is this true?

14. - Top - End - #194

Griffon

Show

Iria has always believed Rue to be an intelligent girl -- she would have made a good pupil, if her birth had made her fate any different -- and so she takes Rue's advice regarding Sebastian seriously. She nods, gives a hint of a tired smile at Rue's promise to save her if need be, then pecks the Queen on the cheek and is down the stairs and off with Albert. She holds herself even more straight than usual as they walk, glad these particular robes are clean and that thus, with her height and her alien ears and her aristocratic profile, she can count on cutting something of an impressive figure in her wizard's finery.

When she is ushered into Sebastian's office she gives the commander a barely-visible fraction of a nod in acknowledgment, maintaining the imperious expression she's been wearing since she left the tower. "Indeed, Commander, I expect you do," she says coolly at his explanation of how many people he must see. She sits at his indication, gracefully and regally, her bearing that of someone of the highest birth, never mind her elven mother.

She listens to Sebastian's question and then nods, her expression still coolly imperious. "Yes, indeed I was. You are always well-informed, Commander. ...How unfortunate that you were not informed of what was to occur this afternoon." From Iria's point of view, this man, at the very least, has lost her her nephew and contributed to this disaster through incompetence, and, in the worst case, was part of the conspiracy against the royal family. She finds she cannot entirely hold her tongue.

Thought makes a low sort of mmmmmmring noise, odd for a raven, but Iria has been silently exhorting him to stay as silent and dignified as he can, and for the moment he does, gripping her shoulder and training one gleaming eye on the Commander.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sebastian glares at you with anger in his eyes. You fear for a second that he'll physically lash out at you. Instead he says, with uncharacteristic coolness Yes. How unfortunate that I'm not blessed with the magical ability to see the future. Alas, I am only a guardsmen and not some powerful wizard.

He doesn't give the dig time to land. Instead he continues but as I was saying. We have reason to believe that my immediate subordinate, Commander Luca, was behind the plot that lead to Michael's murder. I wanted to confirm that he was there this morning when Michael was informed of his father's death, and so had time to issue these orders He holds up a number of closed scrolls which we found on the guardsmen we captured. They bear his signature, which we tested against previous orders that he'd issued.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2013-10-10 at 10:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Griffon

Show

Iria doesn't seem physically frightened by Sebastian's anger (though Thought spreads his wings momentarily, nearly knocking his mistress in the head). She does wince internally at the reminder of her own failure, and allows herself to look properly chastised for a brief moment before smoothing her features and regaining her dignity. She spends a second berating herself for not following Rue's advice before responding, her tone still poised (despite her opening apology), though a bit less cool than before.

"My apologies, Commander. I spoke in haste. My nephew and grandnephew's deaths have affected me badly, as I'm sure you'll understand." Perhaps the reminder of her relationship to the former King will help repair the damage; her impression of Sebastian has always been that he's easily impressed by such things.

But now to move on to the question of Luca, and whether Sebastian is being truthful... and onto trying something magical the wizard has only tried once or twice, years ago during her training: casting a spell while pretending not to. Time for serious concentration, Iria. The half-elf frowns deeply in apparent concern at Sebastian's information, mutters something that she hopes will sound like a muffled imprecation, shifts in her seat as if tense and makes a quick gesture meant to look like an expression of surprise or disgust. "Commander Luca! By the Gods!"

Then it's time for serious mental compartmentalization: attempting to hold a conversation while trying to divine the Commander's thoughts. Iria hears herself speaking while keeping her eyes on the man, straining to pick up on his thinking. "Luca - yes, I remember him there this morning. He offered condolences." Afraid of losing the spell, she doesn't speak further for the moment, or ask to see the papers.

OOC:
    Ok, I hope this isn't completely insane, though I suspect it is - I can't tell if it's potentially against the rules, either. I have no idea what concentration DC would be in this situation, but here goes nothing.

Concentration check: (1d20+4)[8]
    Bluff, if needed: (1d20+1)[2]
    Diplomacy, in case that might help: (1d20+1)[20]

If the spell works Iria will attempt to hold it for the full three rounds needed to detect surface thoughts, so here are more Concentration checks in case by some miracle this works and those are needed:
    (1d20+4)[10]
    (1d20+4)[5]

ETA: Oh well. I guess it was worth a shot?
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-10-10 at 08:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Sebastian
    (1d20+5)[24]
    (1d20+9)[22]

Iria
    (1d20+2)[11]

You attempt to pass your casting off as a harmless gesture. It's difficult, and you fumble it when you change the pronunciation of a few key syllables, but worse - you don't fool Sebastian.

With surprising speed and unexpected ferocity he lunges across the table, grabs your wrists and pulls you forward. Your ribs hit the table's edge when he slams your arms down against it. It hurts - you'll probably have bruises there later - and he leans his body weight into the grip he has on your wrists, holding them immobile.

Instinctively you try to pull back on your arms but it's like trying to bend steel. You are thoroughly trapped.

As violent as his actions are, Sebastian doesn't yell. Instead he leans in until his lips are very close to your pointed ear and whispers very calmly; you're a highborn lady. I'd like to treat you gently, and with respect, as a man of my station should. But I can't do that if you go trying to cast spells at me.

So, here is what is going to happen. I am going to let go. You are going to sit, and you're not going to try any more magic trickery, and I am going to go get you some food - because I'm sure you're hungry
    you actually are quite hungry, now that he mentions it, but your ribs also ache from the table's edge and your dignity is frayed and we're going to have a very civil conversation in which I ask some polite questions and you give some polite answers. Do you understand? He doesn't let go just yet. Instead, he gives you time to respond.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2013-10-11 at 10:29 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Not Lady Iria
    Show
    "Well, it's nice to have direct confirmation. We'll have to make a rrangements to preserve the corpse, just in case. A devil's advocate could argue that Sebastian got wind that Hans was plotting to kill the king, confronted him and slain him in self defense, before hurrying to the great hall to try and save the day... Thoughts?

Regarding the second question, I'm still hoping to find a witness to the scene, but if you came up with a better question go ahead and ask."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #199

Griffon

Show

Iria is smart enough to stop struggling after her first instinctive attempt; she obviously can't do anything against the man physically. She hears Thought screech as she's attacked and he flaps off her shoulder, and she manages to send him an instruction to quiet down, not to provoke. She then finds that she is beyond fear, now -- in fact, her reaction as she goes passive is white-hot rage so encompassing that she cannot think at all for a moment, and she barely hears Sebastian's words. He may have nothing to do with what happened today. His claim that it was Luca may be true. But he is the Commander of the guards who betrayed her family; he is the first person to successfully attempt violence on her person today, which irrevocably mixes him up with the assassins in her mind; the dignity that is so painfully important to her is intolerably bruised; she is going to kill him.

But she does hear his words, and if there's to be any killing of anyone (except her, if she's not more careful) it's certainly not going to be now, much as she'd like to melt this brute's face off. So she responds, mastering her voice so that it stays deadly calm, so that the man won't have the satisfaction of hearing a waver he might misinterpret as fear.

"Indeed, Commander, you have made yourself quite clear. If you will let me back up, you will have your answers -- and food would be most welcome, thank you." From her tone, you'd never know she's pinned to a table; speaking of the food, she might've been responding politely to the fulfillment of a request she made herself.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know if any rolls are needed here? Just in case:
    Bluff: [roll]]1d20+1[/roll]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+1)[13]

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Raymond mulled over the answer of the corpse unsurprised, and looked to Edward in disbelief. "A devil's advocate could say that, but it would be blatant lies, and moreover a waste of question if we ask such. I therefore recommend the following as our second question: 'What was the full name and title of the person here with you right before the attack on you (other than possibly me), and what was the nature of the relationship with this person?' as I suggested before." Raymond tensed a bit when he said this, almost made angry by the comment Edward had made. He took a small step to the man when he finished speaking, but quickly remembered the sword still in his hand and stuck in Hans' chest, then stepped back again. "I also know for a fact, that Hans' loyalty was unquestionable. His death has only confirmed this for me."

Show
    Though we're not doing much else other than talk, it helps me stay in character if more than speech is incorporated into the IC post, as otherwise we might as well have the discussion OOC...
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "Of course it would be a bunch of lies. What else would you expect from someone who has the word devil's in his job description? Still, the burden of the proof rest on the accuser, and we must make sure to cover all possibilities. That's all.

Go ahead and ask your question.I was not suggesting otherwise, but merely pointing out the possibility, so we might be prepared if it comes up."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward, Raymond, Icarus
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Genius View Post
    What was the full name and title of the person here with you right before the attack on you (other than possibly me), and what was the nature of the relationship with this person?
    As phrased, this would be two questions.

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sebastian releases you and leaves you, alone, in the guard's main hall.

(ooc: I'm going to give you the opportunity to do stuff! You don't have to take it but it's there)

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Raymond nodded in grim determination and approval when Edward confirmed his thoughts. So, Hans, our second question is: 'What was the full name and title of the person here with you right before the attack on you (other than possibly me), and what was the nature of the relationship with this person?' He said this as he turned back to Hans, and his face twisted as he was suddenly once again aware that the man was, in fact, dead.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

24. - Top - End - #204

Show

"The spell allows but two questions, and thou hast already asked one of them. Not three questions" The sword's voice reminds with a sigh in Raymond's mind, and goes silent as it waits for a better idea for a question.

Show

I really couldn't think of how to word that question any better in a way that helps us from what you gave<_<.

Last edited by Snacs; 2013-10-13 at 06:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "It's not working. Try and rephrase it to: 'What was the full name, title and relationship to you of the person here with you right before the attack on you (other than possibly me)?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #206

Show

"Whom, by title and House and business, didst thou speak with other than Sebastian and Raymond prior to thy slaying?" The sword said finally.

Last edited by Snacs; 2013-10-14 at 06:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Raymond, Edward and Icarus
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few seconds more pass when Hans says nothing, then

No title. No house. A nurse.

Then the corpse seems content to say nothing.

28. - Top - End - #208

Griffon

Show

Iria sits, composed, dignified, with her hands folded neatly in front of her... until Sebastian leaves. Then she's on her feet, quickly exploring the room and letting off a little steam. She lets herself briefly fantasize about caltrops and acid orbs and magical flames and what all those things could do to the big man, but quickly pushes those thoughts away. All right. What's here? A big table. A closet. Steps. Very little else. I could escape. He didn't lock the door; I'd have heard it. "Leave!" squawks Thought, pacing up and down the table, bobbing his head at her in an urgent way. Iria shushes him. He knows exactly where to find us, Thought. And he'd find Rue; no one must find Rue until I know who we can trust.

In her circuit of the room, Iria pauses in front of the closet, tempted to try opening it. No. Not enough time. She makes her way back to the table, looking down at the scrolls Sebastian earlier claimed hold the proof of Luca's treachery. Luca. Really. She hadn't known Luca terribly well by any means, but it's difficult to imagine the man coordinating this -- not that anything that's happened today has been less than absurd.

Iria picks the scrolls up and examines them closely, wishing she had more experience studying forgeries. While she's at it, she mumbles a couple of magic words to herself and makes a pass over the paper, hoping to sense whether anything arcane has happened to it.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Detect Magic on the scrolls (since Detect Magic involves a 60-ft cone, I assume she'd be casting it on part of the room, as well? but the scrolls are her focus). She'll keep it up as long as it takes in order to get as much information as possible (if there is any info to be had) -- unless she hears Sebastian about to come back in, in which case she'll immediately drop the spell.

Some checks that seem potentially useful:

Appraise: (1d20+5)[21]
    Decipher Script: (1d20+4)[5]
    Knowledge (local): (1d20+7)[13]
    Spot: (1d20+2)[19]

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scrolls are not magical. In fact, nothing in the room is magical. This isn't particularly odd; magic is fairly rare.

There are two scrolls. One, dated about three weeks ago, is a fairly standard order regarding a change in routes signed by Luca.

The second is much less ordinary. There is no date on it.

The King is dead and his Bastard Son is set to ascend the throne tonight. For the memories of those we lost in the Lehi conflict, we cannot allow the usurper, the false king with his traitorous queen, to hold the crown! We will strike this afternoon before the sacred jewels ever touch his tainted head!

In the name of Gahad! In the name of the True King!
    -Commander Luca
    And the signatures of the two are completely identical, no matter what form of scrutiny you use.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "Ok, we have a possible witness we should seek out. Let's stop by the kitchen, grab some food and go back to discuss priorities together. Our time is not limitless, and my stomach is rumbling"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika