New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Gahad IC

1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gahad IC

Spoiler: Not Iria
    Show
    As soon as Hans had answered the second question, Raymond retrieved the sword and re-sheathed it at the place now almost reserved for solely it after using it not-so-ceremoniously earlier that day. He then shifted the position of his shield to a more comfortable one, and turned back to Edward. "Seems like a sound plan; food then back to my sister for conversation." Unless Edward objects, Raymond quickly got a blanket from Hans' bed and draped it over the man, so serviceable even in death, and marched out of the room and on to the kitchen in his usual pace, once more forgetting not everyone had such a large step.

Spoiler: iTookUrNick
    Show
    Raymond's speed is still 40ft (and he's hustling), so unless you want to run half the time (or rather, one-third of the time), you'd better have Edward say something to him.

Why do this? Because, well, it seemed enough like Raymond to do so.
    "Don't give the Dungeon Master any ideas"
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward, Raymond and Icarus
    Spoiler
    Show
    (ooc: I'm going to jump a little bit, if that's okay.)

It's a fairly short walk from the Royal Guard's Barracks to the Great Dinning Hall. The front lawn is still littered with wounded and priests are going back and forth between them. Somber looking men and women are working to move the bodies and servants dash about doing gods only know. So once again it's easier to go through the back door.

The kitchens are eerily empty. You get them to the dinning hall without incident. There the food that was supposed to be a feast and celebration for the new King is instead being consumed by tired, thoughtful and morose people of all ranks either eating alone or in small groups. You are not the only ones packing up dishes to take elsewhere and no one is really paying attention so you can gather up enough food for five without causing a fuss.

From there the walk back to Iria's tower is uneventful as well. But when you knock and call for the Wizardess it's Rue who lets you in instead.

Oh, thank the gods you're back she says. A guard came a little while ago and took Iria for questioning. She hasn't been gone for too long, but I told her that if she wasn't back by sunset we'd come for her.

At this point, sunset is half an hour or so away.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

Avatar by Serpentine. Ezeze-doll by Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Halfway through walking back to Iria's tower, Raymond realizes he was walking a bit too fast for Edward to keep up comfortably and slowed his pace. Having arrived at the tower, and finding that his sister had to grant them access, he looked concerned. "Has anyone else come here since that time? Did anyone see you here?" He immediately moved inside after Rue had disarmed the traps and made to close the door as soon as Edward had entered. He went upstairs then, wary for the traps they encountered the first time.
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup"
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving inside you notice that Rue's got a dagger tucked into her belt. Well, that's good at least. Maybe. If she knows how to use it.

I don't think anyone has seen me? And no, no one else has come since.

The guy that came and asked for her was really polite about it. If we rush to Iria's aid and she's not in trouble she might find herself in trouble very quickly. If she needs us and we don't show up, though...
    Rue lets the sentence hang, unwilling to finish it.
    "Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound true." - Isaac Asimov (Second Foundation)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Chain
    Show

Iria furrows her brows as she examines the scrolls and, very carefully, determines them to be -- as far as she can tell -- authentic. Or, at least, the signature on the damning scroll certainly seems to match Luca's signature on the older scroll. If only I'd ever had enough reason to see his signature to know for sure that both of these are actually his. Thought squawks something that sounds like commiseration. He flits here and there in the room, looking for food.

The wizard puts the scrolls down where Sebastian left them and slowly makes her way back to her seat, thinking. So. It's perfectly possible Sebastian is telling the truth -- or believes he is, anyway. Gods damn it, I wish I'd been able to pull off that spell. She winces at the memory, feels another flash of hot rage and humiliation, and again briefly indulges in a fantasy involving applying flames to certain sensitive parts of the Commander's body before turning her attention to the real problem at hand.

Michael a bastard -- ridiculous. How could anyone believe that, given how much he looked like his father...? I remember Tatiana holding him after he was born. But she's been dead a long time, I suppose, and the dead are easy to slander. Iria grimaces, looking across the table at the scrolls and suddenly feeling very tired. The living, too. Whose interest would it serve to accuse Michael of illegitimacy? ...Well, anyone who wanted to usurp his throne, obviously. Would Ferdinand do such a thing? She passes a hand across her eyes in fatigue. Why bother with false claims when you can just kill people straight out? ...Oh, Iria, you know no one wants life to be that simple.

Thought hops to stand on the table near Iria and tilts his head, looking at her with one eye. "Gotta leave here," he says. "Hungry." She feels him nearly mention the baby before remembering that he's not supposed to; she nearly scowls at him, but then sighs and pats his head with one finger. Thank you for being so good today, Thought. I'll give you a treat when we go home, I promise.

Meanwhile, where is that man? Is ever coming back? Her stomach rumbles.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "This is less than ideal" comments Edward at the news. He's still a little winded after matching Ray's pace, even if the distance they travelled was not long. "Ok, change of plans: finding and extracting lady Iria is our top priority. Chances are she's in the city guard HQ. We should start from there."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sebastian gives Iria time to cool off; maybe he is smarter than he appears at first glance.

When he comes back in he holds in front of him a large platter of food - meats, cheeses, vegetables and bread - and places it before you. After he does so he takes a small piece of meat, chews and swallows it. He doesn't comment any further before he sits across from you with a polite smile on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright. Rue nods But, uh, what if she's not in trouble? Maybe you guys should come up with some sort of cover story to explain why you are looking for her? Something with a little bit of urgency and weight to it, so anyone who has her can't just tell you to come back later, but something that's not easily verifiable either...

8. - Top - End - #218

Griffon

Show

Iria's ribs smart again at the very sight of Sebastian and it takes a bit of an effort to keep her face smooth, but, of course, she's had years of practice hiding her true feelings. She notes his gesture regarding the meat, looks him in the eye, and gives a fraction of a nod. "Thank you, Commander." Her tone remains as neutral as she can make it.

He only tasted the meat, so gods know whether the rest of the food is safe, but the sight of it makes her even more conscious of how much she's starving. Sebastian doesn't need to resort to poison to kill her, and she finds she doesn't care much right now about the various other reasons someone might have for poisoning her. Still, Iria avoids the cheese and vegetables, as tempting as they look, and improvises a sandwich, piling a generous helping of meat onto some of the bread.

Despite her hunger she thinks she manages not to be overly indecorous about bolting the first few swallows. After she's eaten those, she slows down enough to hand Thought a cold cut and address the officer. Speaking with her hands is an old, old habit, but she tries to keep them still, to make no gestures that might be interpreted as spellcasting. She keeps herself busy with the sandwich and indicates the scrolls with her chin.

"As I imagine you knew I would, Commander, I took the liberty of examining those in your absence. That is a very disturbing document indeed, and I am shocked. Is there any indication of where Commander Luca might have heard such slander about the King? I suppose he might have invented it himself, but why?"
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "That is a valid concern. Let's think of something on our way, Ray. Please stay put, your majesty"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    As reluctant as Ray is to leave his sister alone, again, he decides that there's no other way and starts to make his way downstairs and leave again, but not before physically saying goodbye to his nephew and sister in the appropriate manners. Once downstairs and outside, he begins talking, "I suppose a possible excuse could be that we need her help with interrogating the prisoners, as she has magical abilities to detect if we're being lied to." When he finishes speaking, he adjusts his pace as he finally realizes Edward had to run to keep up with him, but doesn't make it any slower than necessary.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sebastian pales. You read the what now? He pulls the scrolls close, protectively. Alright, maybe you were giving the man too much credit. He continues anyways I don't much care where Luca heard what. I only know that the common-born rat is a traitor and that he's going to hang for it.

What I want to do right now is to establish a timeline for where the man went and what he did between hearing of King Joseph's death and executing Michael's murder, to find any accomplices he had. So tell me what you know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rue seems upset to once again be unable to help, but she doesn't question the wisdom of the plan. She lets the two of you out past the traps again, then rearms them behind her.

12. - Top - End - #222

Griffon

Show

Iria is, fleetingly, a little surprised by Sebastian's own obvious surprise at her examination of the scrolls -- she is a diviner, after all, and he seems relatively canny -- but she tries to hide it. She nods at his question and chews thoughtfully, going back over the events of the morning in her mind (and handing Thought, who's already scarfed down his beef, another slice). "Indeed, Commander, that seems only reasonable. It has been a chaotic day... let me see." She pauses for a moment to chew another bite and order the events of the morning in her mind.

At this point, Iria sees no reason to lie to Sebastian, so, when she speaks again, everything she says is the truth as far as she can remember. "Father Fidel came to tell us of King Joshua's death just before we set out, as I'm sure you know. I remember Luca offering his condolences right away." Her mouth twists bitterly. "He seemed sincere, the wretch." Did Luca really do this? If so, did he plot it alone?

She takes a deep breath and keeps going. "I turned my attention to my nephew, as one might expect. He issued various instructions. Luca offered to come back to the palace with him..." she trails off, hunting for Luca's exact words, then goes on. "...in case of any 'would-be assassins.' Those were his words." Michael had also said something about Luca's grievances with Sebastian, hadn't he? Iria isn't sure why, but she decides to keep that particular tidbit to herself unless Sebastian asks about it. "The King demurred. He ordered Luca to go tell you there would be a ceremony at the Palace tonight, and a number of guardsmen would be required in the Grand Hall. Luca then asked to borrow a horse, and left in the direction of the Palace. King Michael asked Master Edward and Father Fidel to inform Queen Jessica, and then he and Raymond rode off in turn."

Iria finishes her sandwich and eyes the platter of food as she concludes, stress and grief warring with what's left of her hunger. For the moment, she doesn't take anything more. "The King had ordered me to tell Majordomo Williams to meet him, so I rode for the Palace myself. I did not see Commander Luca again, or the King, until the ceremony."
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "I would rather not have tipped off our opponents on the fact that she can do that, should they be ignorant of it, but it is probably the strongest argument we can muster."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Raymond looks a bit distant when he says the next part, though perfectly focused on both walking at a brisk pace and keeping conversation. "I do agree it is information they need not know, but also possibly information they already know, and as you have said, our best excuse to get her out of there peacefully." Once they'd agreed on their course of action, Ray kept walking to the barracks of the city guard uninterrupted, though when he had his hand to the door to knock, he looked back and said quietly "Of course, actual conversation is never a bad thing if it helps our cause." He seemed deep in thought as he said this, as if having a quarrel with himself, and then knocked on the door quickly, expressing a sort of urgency.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Iria
    Spoiler
    Show
    I see. You've been very helpful, my Lady.

Sebastian remains silent for a moment then begins speaking again in a slower, more deliberate tone. Lady Iria. I regret the need to have been rough with you earlier. Though you are a powerful spellcaster and I know little of magic... No, that does not excuse my behavior. I apologize. It would pain me deeply if you did not feel safe in my company, or did not feel that you could come to me for protection if you needed it. We were both shamed by what happened in the Grand Hall today and shame begets anger, but if we start fighting amongst ourselves...

He is cut off abruptly by a knock at the door. With a quick excuse me he raises from the table and crosses the room to answer it.

Everyone

Sebastian, in full armor with a sword at his side, answers the door to Raymond's knock. Seated at a table behind him with a platter of food is the Lady Iria who can in turn see Prince Raymond and Master Edward standing in the doorway.

Is there a problem? Has something happened? Sebastian asks with worry in his voice. Heralds at such a late hour rarely bring good news, and after the events of the day...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward is about to answer, but decides against it. Judging from earlier interactions, he suspects Ray would stand a better chance of successfully interact with the captain. He stands ready to support the knight if the opportunity arises.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Raymond, completely unsurprised the by aura of innocence worn so naturally by this man, was unfazed. "Yes, in fact, there is a problem, and yes once more, something has happened." This was all he said before he entered the room without further invitation and let Edward in after him. He didn't so much as try to reach for his own sword, just to seem more trusting and give Sebastian more reason to believe his cover isn't wasted. Once inside, he went to stand by the table, with his own body roughly between Iria and the man, before he spoke again.

"However, we need lady Iria on a matter relating to our ongoing investigation into the murderers of the King." He then, slowly, turned to lady Iria and explained in slightly more detail. "We need some questions answered and think that with your help we have the best chance of them being answered correctly." Though he purposefully made everything he said as vague as possible, so as not to be untrue and have someone catch him on lying, but so that it could still be construed by Sebastian as something he could help with, possibly triggering him into helping them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Comments on Ray's vocal expressions: Sebastian is the Problem, and something has happened is literally just about always true.
    'a matter relating to our ongoing investigation': We need info about Sebastian
    'some questions answered': like "what does he know?" and "what is he doing."

Sublime avatar by Edwin.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

You... Your investigation of the King's murder? Sebastian's voice is filled with rage and incredulity. It's understandable, this is technically his jurisdiction.

The guard wheels back on his heels to keep Raymond within his sight, turning his back on Edward in the process. By whose orders? You are exceeding your authority, Prince. He spits the title at Raymond, a reminder that he is not of Gahad - regardless of how long he has lived here.

Edward
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't Ahaziah explicitly tell you guys not to let Sebastian know that you were investigating, since he's got a lot of pull in the armed sections of the palace's residents?

Just saying.
    Last edited by Ezeze; 2013-10-22 at 05:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Griffon

Iria lifts a delicate eyebrow at the sight of her two recent companions (is that slight relief on her face, just in passing?). She carefully folds the napkin with which she'd been eating it and places it on the table as Raymond comes to speak to her.

"Indeed," she says, nodding slightly, when the Prince is finished. Is he trying to tell me Sebastian is the problem? Very interesting.She is about to continue when Sebastian interrupts indignantly. She rises from her chair but does not make a move to leave the room.

Instead, she smooths down her robes in a studied manner. "Surely, gentlemen, it is only understandable that, as among those most concerned, we should all be keen to solve this case. Of course, one understands the proper channels wish to be respected, but, as the Commander just conveyed to me, I do hope we can all work together." She looks at Thought and he flaps his way to perch on her shoulder. "In any case, I am afraid that as far as I'm concerned, good sirs, my powers have been essentially exhausted for the day. They will be of use to no one's investigation until I have had extensive rest and the chance to study in my tower."

She looks at Sebastian. "Commander, if I may take my leave? You, of course, know where to find me should you have further questions or if I may be of some further use."
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Frack. This is not what Edward had in mind when he thought Ray would handle things better. Something must be done to defuse the situation, and possibly reassure Sebastian that his position is secure. He speaks in a conciliatory tone.

"Gentlemen, please, let's all keep our composure. Captain, you are of course correct in your indignation: this is your jurisdiction, and the case is yours. No one, not even the Price here, denies that.

However, the tragedy that befell our nation today bear heavily on Prince Raymond's shoulders, as he was tasked with protecting the king. The queen regent granted him permission to personally look into the matter as a chance to redeem himself, and perhaps make peace with his failure. She did so because she thought the prince would so anyway, so rest assured that Ray is not trying to take your place in this!

Chance willed that we overheard your messenger mentioning your success in capturing the rogue guards. We thought it would be a good idea to come here for information; your position makes you a likely source of information regarding the culprits. At the same time, lady Iria witnessed the incident from a vantageous position, and we thought she could help clear a few details. Since she did not answer her door, we came here, as we would have done if she had."

Show
    I think I managed not to lie at all within my speech, even if I certainly cut it close.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebastina exhales heavily. To Edward's explanation he simply replies I see. Then he turns to Iria.

You may, of course, take your leave My Lady. Might I escort you back to your tower? The walk is a long one, and it will probably be dark before you arrive. The man seems genuinely eager to be of assistance.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

Raymond tried to act completely unsurprised by the man's outrage, and when Edward explained the situation in as sensible a way as possible, Ray was relieved the more cunning of the two of them had decided to attempt to resolve his anger. When he almost mumbled "I see" Ray kept looking at him, a bit intrigued, yet happily surprised that he was so timid all of a sudden. At once, when he proposed to walk Iria to her tower, he felt he had to cut in. That's not a good idea, let's put a stop to that. He then spoke with the same solid voice as before, as if uninterrupted.

"Actually Sebastian, I feel we should have the honor of escorting my lady Iria to her home, we will have things to discuss in any case, and we're heading out regardless."

Show
    Wait wait wait, wait wait wait, wait wait; His jurisdiction? How is the murder of a Royal not in the jurisdiction of the head of the Royal Guard, but instead of the City Guard? Do tell.
    Sublime avatar by Edwin.

23. - Top - End - #233

Griffon

Sebastian wants to walk her home? Where Rue is, and might answer the door? And now Ray is jumping in as if to fight Sebastian for this dubious honor, making Sebastian more likely to persist? Iria needs to put a stop to this immediately. She raises another eyebrow at the men, trying to keep her face essentially blank, with a hint of tired amusement. (She's so tired, in fact, that, despite her annoyance, the amusement isn't even all that fake. They're arguing over who should protect her on the walk home, the day she was nearly slaughtered onstage with much of her family? Really?)

"I appreciate your concerns for my safety, gentlemen, but I assure you, though I am undoubtedly depleted by today's events, I am far from defenseless. If anyone attacks me he will regret it, and I would far prefer to take myself home. An evening walk alone to contemplate the day's events would be most welcome; in any case, it is my custom to walk the grounds after dinner." This is the truth, and any of the men present may have seen her doing so on more than one occasion.

She pushes herself up from the table. Thought squawks and shuffles his wings, adjusting to her movement and resettling himself on her shoulder. "In any case, gentlemen, should you have more questions, you all know where to find my tower." Turning away from Sebastian so that he won't see her, under the guise of fiddling with her robes a bit more, she shoots Edward a look she hopes will convey that he and Ray should meet her there in a little while.
    Last edited by Cognomen; 2013-10-26 at 02:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

"The lady hath spoken, and it would be unseemly not to heed her words. We shall thus adjourn this meeting for the time being, and convene here again on the morrow."

With that, Edward opens the door to lady Iria, chivalrously showing her forward with a bow and a poised arm.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #235

Griffon

Iria nods at Edward's courtesy, and looks to Sebastian to make sure he won't stop her from leaving alone.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming he doesn't, she'll be heading straight back to her tower.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Sebastian inclines his head slightly - not a bow, but a gesture of respect to be sure. As you wish, My Lady. I hope you don't doubt the sincerity of what I've said. His tone and posture are those of a model gentleman.

He then turns his attention to Raymond with a glare on his face. As for you. I shall answer any questions you have in the morning. Get out.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Ed does not wait to be asked twice. He puts a hand on Raymond's shoulder and maneuvers the pair out of the room.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #238

Griffon

"Indeed, Commander, I shall." Iria acknowledges Sebastian's courtesy with a fraction of a nod; her face remains impassive.

Once she's out the door and away from the Commander's gaze, however, that changes, and a deep scowl etches herself on her features, visible periodically in the light from lanterns or torches. Thought launches himself off her shoulder and flies towards home; a couple of screeches of "Bad man! Bad man!" can be heard floating down from the night sky before he makes it to the open window of the tower study.

Iria walks briskly (even angrily), addressing Edward and Ray as she goes. She pitches her voice to avoid being heard by anyone else who might be near. "Gentlemen, let us get to my tower; we have much to discuss, but not out here."

Once she gets to the tower, she opens it and deal with the traps, careful to reset them after the two men enter (assuming they come in with her). She makes her way quickly up the stairs to her study, hoping to find Rue safe and sound.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Rue is indeed safe, and is happy to see that you are the same. She welcomes you, then mostly stays out of your way - perhaps partially because of the scowl on your face.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward looks about little until he spots what he was looking for:
    "Ah, finally. We are about to discuss matters of great import; shocking revelations will be made. It would not do to go through that on an empty stomach". He smiles to the others, passing the food around, then finds a chair for himself, careful not to disturb the stacks of written parchment lying around.

To the young queen: "Thank you for waiting on os for this meal your majesty: we are honored for your kindness, even if we must counsel you to put opportunity before properness in times such as these."

To Lady Iria: "I assume, by virtue of your 'friendly chat' with the captain, that you are the bearer of the most interesting news among us. Would you care to share first, or would you rather hear from us first?"

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika