New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [NEXUS] WATCHTOWER 17: Through Cloud, Shadow, Earth, and Flesh.

Hospital Tower

“What if the alarm frightens it and it goes on a rampage?“ he asks. Beasts are notorious for doing that. However, everyoneneeds to be alerted.

“You go do that; I‘ll go to.where the thing is, in case it goes on a rampage.“
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hospital Tower]

"I think it's best you do that and I watch here. I don't actually know how to trigger the alarm." Elle has only existed for a short period of time, after all, and it's not like she has all Cessie's memories after all. Cessie probably has a fair few of those she'd prefer to keep private even if Elle could have had them. On the other hand, it's probably safe to say that Conrack, as an actual member, would have been told about the alarm at some point.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Orc in the Playground

The Spire --> Escape

As she flies, Nephrim turns to Garn and activates her mind control abilities. "You will return to your normal routine. You have not seen me and will not try to stop me. Is that understood?" She's not being especially subtle about it, as she doubts that Garn has any effective mental defences against mind control- though if he's commanded solely by a mental link with somebody else, or in a language besides Common/English, then the attempt will not be as successful.

Nephrim can be heard, despite the fact that flight may be noisy as her wings are nearly silent, and also she spent a few hundred years as a member of the Celestial Chorus, meaning she has far more control over her voice than is natural.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #574

The Spire --> Escape

Garn might not be very smart and his ability to learn still rather limited but his nature and construction protected him from other entities than his creator ordering him around.

Still he seems unclear what to do with the flying intruder and just grunts at her. He wasn't taking her (or his?) orders! The gargoyle attempts to grapple the fallen angle with his strong hands, he's still fairly clumsy in the air however so he might not succeed.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2013-11-26 at 09:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #575

[Hospital Tower]

Conrack nods. Makes sense, I guess. Even though his player doesn't have a clue about the alarm system (other than it went on while Harley was here...), it seems logical that he would know about it.

So, he leaves Elle to go set off the alarm (and maybe a megaphone or announcement or whatever) saying that there's a beast of some kind in the Hospital Tower. Though, you'll probably want to talk to Wolfbane if you want to react to it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Halfling in the Playground

[Outside --> Barracks]

A woman on a horse arrives here! Unless challenged, she'll enter the tower and head straight for the barracks as though she's been here before. Some might recognize her as Cornelia Walsh, the heavily scarred, heavily accented woman who had a brief stint as a Watch member.

Cornelia looks for Boris.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2013-11-26 at 01:33 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

[DC's Lab]

As it turns out, all these events inspired a number of things rather nicely.

For one thing, the very same method that scrambled the curse on DC would go on to become an Evolution Industries-produced anti-magic grenade system.

For yet another, DC would revisit an old favorite. Ion blasters were quite old by the psychic's standards, but seemed appropriate, given the increasing population of tech-powered madmen, and potentially they might even have more effect than normal on AMEN's pet horror, given that their tech-frying properties could very well similar in nature to that thing's weakness, especially with a few modifications.

Indeed, conflict can be very good at inspiration like that. But that's not why we're here. Or, well, it is, but it's not about those examples up there. Instead it's about replacements. After all, DC lost plenty of gear in that battle over AMEN. Most all of it, in fact. Though a number of those things were just standard EI models anyway, a few things stand out. For one, DC no longer has an extradimensional storage device. For two, DC also no longer has that black dagger of shenanigans. That's most of the portable firepower, right there. So now it's time to replace things.

Spoiler: Boring gear stuff nobody's going to read.
    Show
    Let's look at the single greatest consequence of all this. That would be the massive loss of portable firepower from the destruction of the extradimensional storage artifact. No more carrying giant guns everywhere. Obviously, this must be compensated for in some way.

Another consequence is the lack of a powerful melee weapon. Again, something that must be somehow dealt with.

Finally, there's the question of utility. With the destruction of the aforementioned extradimensional storage, much utility is lost. After all, things besides weapons go in there. Like tools and various other things.

So the question becomes: How does one compensate for all of this at once?

DC's answer to the question, it seems, is to make an entire new armor system, and then some.

It's not especially heavy or powerful. Indeed, one expects that anything decently armor-piercing or simply powerful enough will punch straight through. But protectiveness isn't even the point. Not really.

Instead, this new, overly-light, sleek, predictably black-and-dark-red high-tech armor seems to be made to be loaded with other features. Miniaturized versions of DC's signature power technology are scattered throughout the armor, giving it an energy reservoir of sorts. This power can be discharged through the palms, providing something of a backup attack, but this system also allows it to be transferred to an outside device, such as a weapon, provided the weapon is designed for such a link. Probably good for those random overcharges, thus compensating somewhat for firepower issues.

Also built into the armor are various weapon holsters. Two pistol holsters at the sides, and a pair of dagger sheaths on the forearms, probably meant for telekinetic draws. Finally, there's a belt, which in a standard cliched manner can be used to store various helpful devices.

Finally, the armor actually comes with a helmet. The helmet's silvery visor incorporates advanced scanning systems and a heads-up display monitoring the status of the armor, such as its power reservoirs.

Next up is a pair of shiny new weapon types. Probably intended to have two of them each, given the armor.

The first of the two is, naturally, a new variety of pistol, the grip designed to interface with the armor's power reservoir system. Aside from its overcharge compatibility, it is rather heavy for a pistol, and unusually versatile as well. While it is conceptually similar to the standard EI beam pistols, it incorporates a beam scatterer mode that effectively turns it into an energy weapon equivalent of a sawed-off shotgun. This combined with the armor's power reservoir allowing overcharged blasts means it offers a sizable punch against even heavily armored targets.

Similar to the pistol is the newer dagger design. Most obviously similar is that the hilt seems designed to interface with the armor in the same manner as the pistol. This may seem unusual for a dagger of all things, but the weapon is designed similarly to older EI EvM-1s, as the blade can be superheated. Unique to this one, however, is the ability to project an electrified red force-blade to lengthen the weapon, a technological duplication of what DC could once accomplish with the old dagger. This drains significant amounts of power from the internal cells, though, thus providing a good reason to use the armor's power reservoirs.

All in all, DC comes out of it feeling rather pleased.

Until...

"Wait a second...oh, ****ing hell, I made this specifically for my normal size and proportions, didn't I. Now I have to make another one. Do that now, make it pay more some other time...wait, I genelocked the old one's systems to my current genetics, have to fix that later..."

That will be done, of course. Oh, DC, how very like you it is to make specifically-sized armor to minimize the risk of it being stolen and used by someone else.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

The Day After - Wenomir's Infirmary Room

The day after things get finished, however long that's going to take, Ilpholin comes to see Wenomir wherever he is currently staying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

[The Day After - Wenomir's Infirmary Room]

Wenomir is still lying in bed at this point. He's awake, but very weak. At least the infection has stopped. There are three new scars on his face, some on his right wrist and at least one is visible on his chest above the cover he's lying under.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

DAWIR

Ilpholin pulls up a seat next to the bed after looking him over.
    "Hey."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"Hello, Ilpholin," Wenomir says, in a rather weak voice, and manages to sit up a little. "Anything you needed?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

Hospital Room

"Well I wanted to check and see how things went for starters." Ilpholin says. There's trepidation, but she doesn't show it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"I was out for a good while, and I'm still too weak to do much of anything, but I should be fine," Wenomir says. "I think we're all trying to recover after our last skirmish with AMEN and figure out what to do next, otherwise."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"That's good." Not really the question she asked, but good all the same.

"Sorry to hear they hit you hard. Glad you're going to be ok. Was the intel bad or was it just too much resistance?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"Too much resistance," Wenomir says. "AMEN put up a hell of a fight when their backs were against the wall. I was torn up by some demon thing, but what really did me in was the wounds getting infected by some god-forsaken sludge a Moff had poured on me. Never thought I'd see a Moff be an actual threat. I'm sorry to say I never got to use Mr. Squiggles' hack."
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-11-26 at 09:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"Yeah, he has really been stepping up lately. It's unlike him, but I think some sort of patriotic insanity fervor has overtaken him." Ilpholin doesn't know why. Some Yellow Road thing I suppose.

"I heard of massive explosions and earthquakes. I'm not sure it'd do much good anyways if the base got hit badly." The problem with integrating a security system with a building.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"Yes, DC was fighting their thing in the walls," Wenomir says. "He actually managed to seriously hurt it. First he it it with a huge EMP, then I think he threw it into the lava. Or something along those lines. Either way, it caused all those explosions and earthquakes. Their base is a mess right now."
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-11-26 at 09:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Hospital Room

"Oh good." Then that weakness was accurate and Ilpholin didn't send her teammates to their eldritch-based doom.

"I suppose this has helped with any decisions regarding me?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #589
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

Wenomir nods, then tilts his head.

"As far as I'm concerned, it's cleared up all doubts about your intentions and actions. But I have a feeling you're asking about DC, specifically, which I'm not sure about. Maybe we should call him here to ask."

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"No. Not really. I can handle that." Ilpholin says.

"So, I'm free to be a Watch member again and come and go as I please?" Ilpholin asks, just desiring some confirmation proof that she's no longer under 'base' arrest as it were.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"I think so, yes," Wenomir says. "Mistakes have been made, on both sides, but... it worked as well as we could expect in the end."

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"Perhaps. I'm glad you see it that way." Perhaps referring to best outcome, not the mistakes.

"Because now I'm afraid I need to put forth a condition of my own in order to justify staying here at Watch."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

"Well, what is it?" Wenomir asks. He has a feeling he won't like it.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hospital Room]

Probably not. "The posts on the Wall did a lot to sever the trust I can have in the people here at Watch. It also did a lot to paint me as a rogue agent, traitor to Watch and enemy to all. I require a public renouncement of that. Explain that I was in fact Watch's secret agent, acting under its orders to take down AMEN, and to that end I tried to lure them into a trap at Riverside."

"To show you mean it, offer up the information I gathered on all the members and make it public. Having people be aware of their capabilities to some level can only be a good I'd think. If you feel its necessary, you can even offer recompense. I will help with anything you feel is necessary that is owed the Riverside governments. Personally, I joined Watch because it didn't care about its public image. Because it would do the job no one else would. And I joined as an AMENite."
    She was always self-proclaimed evil first.

"I understand it'll be a sacrifice, but understand that not only do I need this personally as a trust thing, but that I need this as an agent thing as well. I seriously doubt I can do much good for Watch if everyone considers me an evil near-apocalyptic demon plague bringer. A traitor and a double agent are two different things." And right now Watch has her publicly labeled as the former.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2013-11-26 at 10:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    [Hospital Tower]

Conrack nods. Makes sense, I guess. Even though his player doesn't have a clue about the alarm system (other than it went on while Harley was here...), it seems logical that he would know about it.

So, he leaves Elle to go set off the alarm (and maybe a megaphone or announcement or whatever) saying that there's a beast of some kind in the Hospital Tower. Though, you'll probably want to talk to Wolfbane if you want to react to it.
    [Hospital Tower]

Well that leaves Elle alone again. She'd prefer to stay as far away from whatever this monster is, but instead she goes to position herself outside of the storage room. Hopefully help arrives soon.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Hospital Room]

Probably not. "The posts on the Wall did a lot to sever the trust I can have in the people here at Watch. It also did a lot to paint me as a rogue agent, traitor to Watch and enemy to all. I require a public renouncement of that. Explain that I was in fact Watch's secret agent, acting under its orders to take down AMEN, and to that end I tried to lure them into a trap at Riverside."

"To show you mean it, offer up the information I gathered on all the members and make it public. Having people be aware of their capabilities to some level can only be a good I'd think. If you feel its necessary, you can even offer recompense. I will help with anything you feel is necessary that is owed the Riverside governments. Personally, I joined Watch because it didn't care about its public image. Because it would do the job no one else would. And I joined as an AMENite."
    She was always self-proclaimed evil first.

"I understand it'll be a sacrifice, but understand that not only do I need this personally as a trust thing, but that I need this as an agent thing as well. I seriously doubt I can do much good for Watch if everyone considers me an evil near-apocalyptic demon plague bringer. A traitor and a double agent are two different things." And right now Watch has her publicly labeled as the former.
    Wenomir blinks, then is silent for a while.

"Hm. It's quite a request. It's not a decision I can make lightly, and not a decision I can make by myself, as I'm sure you understand. At the very least, DC needs to be involved, since he's the one who would need to renounce his words."
    Last edited by Morty; 2013-11-26 at 01:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

Hospital Tower - Cutter's transformation

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    [Hospital Tower]
    alarm .
    Darcy was just watching Real Housewives and wishing Ilpholin was with her, when the alarm goes off. She leaps up to go and investigate. Oh man, if Ilpholin is hurt, she's going to be so angry!
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #598
    Orc in the Playground

The Spire --> Escape

Nephrim is far more nimble, and manages to dodge Garn's first attempt to capture her. Nephrim would try to disable Garn, but at the moment her only weapon is her voice and that's already proven ineffective. Well, those and her blades, but those require her to get closer than she'd like.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Halfling in the Playground

Alarm

Marcus look up from destroying a sackdummy and tries to locate the source of the sound. After a moment, he takes off in the direction of the hospital tower

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Wenomir blinks, then is silent for a while.

"Hm. It's quite a request. It's not a decision I can make lightly, and not a decision I can make by myself, as I'm sure you understand. At the very least, DC needs to be involved, since he's the one who would need to renounce his words."
    Hospital Room - Wenomir

"No bigger a request than the situation I've been carelessly put in. And it won't necessarily have to be DC if it spares his pride, so long as he doesn't vehemently oppose it. There are other leaders at Watch, so it isn't terribly difficult to imagine the occasional communication error that other leaders have to step in to correct..." Ilpholin finds DC a strong warrior and invaluable asset, but questions his leadership potential.

"But I expected you would need to think and talk about it and I wouldn't demand otherwise. Just... make your decision sooner rather than later, please." Ilpholin's life is in a holding pattern right now until this is resolved. So she'd rather there not be any dragging of feet, though that may understandably be difficult.

She stands. "That's all I had to say." She says, waiting to see if Wenomir has anything to add.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast