New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default The Afterlife : Fires of Hell (5th Edition) Chapter 1

The darkness of death begins to dissolve, and you are overwhelmed by an inexpressible peace and contentedness. You find yourself walking along a light tunnel towards a brilliant white light that emits warmth and love. At the end of the tunnel you are surprised to notice several of faces of people you've never met before. Before you stands a beautiful, human-like creature with long, feathery wings. He glows with an inner power that makes it hard to look at him, directly.

As those gathered have assembled, he says "You may be slightly disoriented right now. That will pass. As you no doubt have guessed, you are all dead. I prevented each of you going to your final resting place to make you an offer. An item of some importance has been stolen. Its disappearance could result in an embarrassment to some dieties that will remain unnamed. What I offer you is the opportunity to be resurrected with all wounds healed and full of strength and vitality as the adventurers your heart truly desired in your mundane lives. All I ask in return is for you to locate this stolen item and return it here. You are, of course, free to decline this offer. In which case you will be released to continue to the outer plane that is your final destination, where your soul can spend the rest of eternity in peace.

What was stolen is a deep blue globe roughly one foot in diameter called the Dragon Globe. It was stolen by a gang of devils. The thieves are known to have gone to the first layer of Hell. You will start your quest close to the location where the thieves arrived. You will be met by Herfik the Silent. He knows the plane and can help guide you. He will give you a magical brass chain that can return you here when you have finished your quest. If you return here with the Dragon Globe you will be returned to wherever you wish on the Material Plane. Because you are now dead, you cannot be killed while on this quest, rather you will be enslaved by the devils here, so you must not allow that to come to pass. To succeed in this quest, you must avoid attracting any unnecessary attention."

He looks at each one in turn, making eye contact before asking "Do you accept this task?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Afterlife : Fires of Hell (5th Edition) Chapter 1

I... Eva looks around, tentatively. Yes. Yes, I accept.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Dave couldn't believe it. He was dead and being offered an adventure? Was this some sort of weird fever dream?

No, that was rediculous. Dave knew dreams, and this was a divine order, not a dream. And there was only one thing he could say to a divine order. Certainly, my lord.""
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Peren's eyes's fluttered open. He was in a near panic when he saw surrohndinfs he did not reognize. Gathering his thoughts he walked down the tunnel, until he reached the end. He saw several others he did not know. The thing that caught his eye though was the visage of this winged being. It's words echoed in his ears as he spoke. Once the being finished his speech, Peren stood there dumbfounded.

Could this be? A chance to do some good? He wondered if the offer was too good to be true and quite taken aback when two offered their services so readily. Not really thinking through what he was goin to say, Peren spoke.

"What you offer is everything I could have ever wanted, but I don't know who you are. A being willing to delay my soul's final destination so that some gods can save face? That's all any of us know about you. These two," Peren gestured to Dave and Eva, might be willing to risk their souls without hesitation but I must know more before I agree to this. I won't ask who the gods were that messed up, but I must ask who you are. And I think we should know the exact importance of this Dragon Globe."

As soon as he finished speaking, he realized the weight of how he spoke, but still waited for a response.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vice lingered in the tunnel, treading forward carefully, while drawn forward with a sense of intensity, of want. Of the possibility of a chance to not drawn to the depths of hell. Stepping out into the light, listening to the words that rang in her head, she let out a sigh of relief.

"I accept! Anything to get out of that... darkness. And when one's soul is already damned by her..." she grimaced, "...heritage, I would gladly take any chance to show otherwise." She raised her chin proudly, striding forward further out of the tunnel before her eyes widened with shock at the male elf's words.
    Last edited by Haliax; 2015-07-16 at 11:48 PM.
    Take life by the horns and live it to its fullest. But stop once in a while to bring aboard some guilty pleasures and to enjoy a sunset.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"My name is Maloshi, I am a Deva from Celestial." He answers seeming unbothered by the questions, "the stone holds the soul of an exceedingly righteous paladin, Belvor IV, king of Furyondy. He and his noble knights are responsible for slaying innumerable evil dragons while he ruled. Trapped, not only is he no longer allowed to pass, but he cannot be raised or resurrected. Additionally, it can be used power extremely evil and destructive magic in the wrong hands. And currently, it is in the wrong hands.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Dave's thoughts were still whirling. Was it a trick, after all. He'd wanted to be a hero his whole life, so was someone just using that to get him to do great evil. The supposed Celestial even admitted the orb they were supposed to retrieve could be used for evil. If only there was a way to be sure...

Spoiler: Divine Sense
    Show
    TO reiterate, using Divine sense to sense celestials, fiends, and undead within 60 feet. Unlike Dave , I trust the deva, but it would be nice to confirm it in character.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Larzzral View Post
    "My name is Maloshi, I am a Deva from Celestial." He answers seeming unbothered by the questions, "the stone holds the soul of an exceedingly righteous paladin, Belvor IV, king of Furyondy. He and his noble knights are responsible for slaying innumerable evil dragons while he ruled. Trapped, not only is he no longer allowed to pass, but he cannot be raised or resurrected. Additionally, it can be used power extremely evil and destructive magic in the wrong hands. And currently, it is in the wrong hands.
    Wait- Eva asks. Won't retrieving the orb just leave the soul still entrapped? Wouldn't it be better to destroy the orb and free his soul?

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: Divine Sense
    Show
    Maloshi is an angel

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Bahrash didn't understand where he was at first but he did realize that it was certainly much easier to breath now. Now water wasn't filling his lungs. He did understand that he wasn't near the sea anymore and the implications of that scared him a little inside. As he walked forward he saw more people ahead of him. They weren't his people, certainly. None had scales. He approached cautiously but not cowardly. If what he suspected was true, there would be no point in delaying the inevitable. He heard what the angel above them said about being dead and his heart sank. So it was true. He listened as the others speak about the offer. Finally, he put in his two coppers,

"I don't mean to question but why us? Certainly there are more qualified souls for a task such as this. How would we even start? I don't know about you others but I've no experience in fighting or adventuring. I'm a simple fisherman. Don't think me ungrateful for such an offer as this. I've just got no special talents or skills for fighting devils."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

As Peren listened to Maloshi's reply, his face grew sullen. He regretted speaking the way he did, but could not find the words. As the deva finished, he nodded in silence as his agreement that he would accept this task.

At the sound of the others, he was a little surprised when Eva chimed in, considering how willing she was to volunteer. Still, both she and Dave offered good questions, and listened for Maloshi's answer. However, he had already consented and that was not going to change.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Wait- Eva asks. Won't retrieving the orb just leave the soul still entrapped? Wouldn't it be better to destroy the orb and free his soul?
    "Destroying the orb would have very severe consequences. You'll bring it back to me and I will take it to those who can properly and safely remove it."

Quote Originally Posted by snowman87 View Post
    "I don't mean to question but why us? Certainly there are more qualified souls for a task such as this. How would we even start? I don't know about you others but I've no experience in fighting or adventuring. I'm a simple fisherman. Don't think me ungrateful for such an offer as this. I've just got no special talents or skills for fighting devils."
    "Ah, but you will discover you do have that power, as some already seem to have." His eyes wander towards Dave, a slight smirk on his face, "and it is because you are so unassuming that makes you perfect for this task. Your respective afterlives won't miss you not showing up, the likelihood of someone resurrecting you and disrupting the task is minimal and the fiends you will be slipping past won't be noticing you simply due to your history. No, you are exactly what is needed and that is why you were chosen."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Bahrash considered the being's words but not for terribly long. The situation was what the situation was. Delaying wouldn't change it. Bahrash wasn't scared of eternity. He was sure it was a grand thing. He just wasn't ready for it yet. Maloshi had been right, he did want to adventure. His life had not been wasted but he yearned to do more. Maybe now he could. Since the Deva had mentioned having power, Bahrash swore he could now feel more dragon within him than he ever had before. "All right, then. If it's people who volunteer that you want, I'll be among them."

14. - Top - End - #14

Eva smiles, a bright, innocent look on her face. So we're all agreed! I'm Evangaline-Eva, for short. Who are all of you?

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Dave didn't know how to describe it, but somehow in is bones he knew that the divine being was indeed an angel. It wasn't like being overwhelmed by power. It was just...a fact.

"Oh gods. he really is an angel" Dave grabbed the spear thing-a glaive?-tightly. "DOn't ask me how I know, I just do.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vice huffed, moving her gaze from Peren to Dave. "What made you think he wasn't in the first place? There are demons and devils in the world. Something has to balance them out." She sighed and shook her head, moving her hair back over one of her horns before looking over the crew assembled, taking note of the fellow seafarer.
    "It is what it is though. I'm Vice. I guess it would help to say I worked as a spotter on a trade ship. Might've even run across your port once or twice." She nodded her head in the direction of the Dragonborn.
    Last edited by Haliax; 2015-07-17 at 03:07 PM.
    Take life by the horns and live it to its fullest. But stop once in a while to bring aboard some guilty pleasures and to enjoy a sunset.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haliax View Post
    Vice huffed, moving her gaze from Peren to Dave. "What made you think he wasn't in the first place? There are demons and devils in the world. Something has to balance them out." She sighed and shook her head, moving her hair back over one of her horns before looking over the crew assembled, taking note of the fellow seafarer.
    "It is what it is though. I'm Vice. I guess it would help to say I worked as a spotter on a trade ship. Might've even run across your port once or twice." She nodded her head in the direction of the Dragonborn.
    "I'm Bahrash, of the Delmirev tribe. I doubt you would have stopped at our village. It is quite small and of little interest to outsiders, aside from a few traders that arrive each season."

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm from Verdest, Eva says. It's a little city, and kinda poor-or at least I could never find work. I... So, who're you? she asks Dave.

Wait-Maloshi-I have to know. Is Yugo okay?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2015-07-17 at 04:30 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Peren seemed quite distracted. He knew they had been chosen for a great task, and here they were casually introducing themselves to one another.

We don't even have the equipment for this, he thought. Then he noticed the weapon. How long had he been holding that? Did it just appear? Or have I been in too awe of my surroundings and new purpose. Peren continued in silence as he pondered this.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm from Verdest, Eva says. It's a little city, and kinda poor-or at least I could never find work. I... So, who're you? she asks Dave.

Wait-Maloshi-I have to know. Is Yugo okay?
    The angel looks at Eva curiously. Then answers, "I do not know of the person you speak."

21. - Top - End - #21

Yugo. He's my pet mouse.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Vice stopped looking at the others for a moment and turned her head towards the Deva after hearing Eva's words.

"To add to that... what happens if we run into any of our kin again? Will they remember us? And what's going to happen to us once we've completed this quest? Will we get to have the chance to continue to stay alive or will we be ushered on?" She fidgeted slightly, swaying from one foot to the other in sudden nervousness.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few moments, Peren finally came out of his head and down from the awe. He turned to Maloshi, and mad his concerns known.

""I'm more concerned about the tools we have..or lack thereof necessary to complete the mission. You've stated we have the power, some us that we have not yet begun to explore. However, some of us don't have the equipment or weapons should they be required. Or is it like our powers and are things we must discover?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yugo. He's my pet mouse.
    The angel almost looks stunned at the revelation, then answers, "I'm sorry but human souls are all I was tracking. "

Quote Originally Posted by Haliax View Post
    "To add to that... what happens if we run into any of our kin again? Will they remember us? And what's going to happen to us once we've completed this quest? Will we get to have the chance to continue to stay alive or will we be ushered on?" She fidgeted slightly, swaying from one foot to the other in sudden nervousness.
    " After completing this task, you will be returned to life. You will be known to your family, though likely changed with the completion of your task. And your newfound abilities will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by kladams707 View Post
    ""I'm more concerned about the tools we have..or lack thereof necessary to complete the mission. You've stated we have the power, some us that we have not yet begun to explore. However, some of us don't have the equipment or weapons should they be required. Or is it like our powers and are things we must discover?"
    "You will be supplied with basic provisions, do not worry. They are waiting for you where you will begin your task. There also will be a city nearby and you'll have some funds supplied for whatever else you may desire.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Peren nodded, his mind steeled for the task at hand. Now is the time to do what you've always wanted he thought. If his heart could pound it would, from a mix of bother excitement and nervousness. He too a deep breath and exhaled. Finally, he spoke. "I'm ready. What of the rest of you?".
    Last edited by kladams707; 2015-07-19 at 04:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Before we leave, do you have any advice for us in this task?", Bahrash asks, "Or can you tell us any specific challenges we should prepare ourselves for?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Or anything about our powers, for that matter, Eva adds. I can't think of anything I could do to help against devils.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Dave, still overwhelmed by everything that he had been told and had felt, just nodded. Looking closer, the stick he grabbed was just a stick, so he tossed it aside in embarrassment.
    Last edited by Estralita; 2015-07-19 at 05:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Larzzral View Post
    " After completing this task, you will be returned to life. You will be known to your family, though likely changed with the completion of your task. And your newfound abilities will remain."[/b]
    Vice let out a quiet sigh of relief at the Deva's words, nodding her head. "That's good to hear. It will make things much simpler in the long run." She looked at the others, then down at herself, blinking with surprise that her hands were shaking. She smiled sadly, shaking her hands after a moment, trying to appear confident. "Well I guess I'm with the others. Best way to deal with the unknown is to go straight at it. I'm ready."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Each of your new abilities are based off of the person you were or skills you possessed in life. If you find yourself thinking you can do something, it is likely the altered part of you trying to do so. ((While it may surprise them their first time using the their skills, spells, etc, your character can do so without issue and won't believe they can do something that they can't.)) as for other advice, that is hard to say. Listen to Herfik the Silent, though don't give him or anyone else you encounter your full trust. Only trust yourselves and one another. Other than that all I can say is, don't die, it will not be pleasant if you do. But I am quite confident in who I selected and so I am confident in all of you."

With that he begins fading from view as your surroundings brighten immensely. You squeeze your eyes shut until the brightness fades away.

You open your eyes to a rocky wasteland, stretching out endlessly to mountains along the horizon in all directions. Their jagged peaks stab up into the blood-red sky. The air is hot and still. It smells of rot and decay. The ground is a jagged amalgamation of dirt, bones, metal, and volcanic soil – all caked in blood. It appears to be littered with the detritus of countless battles. Here and there you see blood trickling out of the ground in vein-like streams. The sky is starless, full of choking smoke, and it glows a dark red due to balls of flammable gas that are floating about or streaking across the sky, randomly exploding as fireballs. The exploding of these fireballs are the only sounds you can hear, apart from the occasional distant screams that seem be coming from all directions.

You are in Avernus, the topmost layer of Baator. You are in the Nine Hells.

Last edited by Larzzral; 2015-07-19 at 08:28 PM.