New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [nWoD] Campus Vigilantes 3: The Root of All Evil

"Clever girl." said Jacob with a chuckle.

"So any plans tonight? I was going to ask if you wanted to grab a cup of coffee later, although after what happened just now I would not be surprised in the least if you avoided hot coffee for a bit." said Jacob as looked around to see if anyone was around them.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam leans down and kisses the top of her head, "I know, but he has moments where I just want to hit him..."

He chuckles, "Glad to know what your priorities are. You know, people keep saying that. Even had one guy bet I could 'pin a fly to a tree from a hundred yards without killing it.' I've never actually tried to hit a fly. I wonder if it's actually possible..."
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah takes a seat with his friends, merrily munching on his doughnut. "Oh right, Frosty and friends," he casually muses. "Meant to send some emails back about that, but I was a bit more preoccupied with, y'know, almost losing my leg in that, uh, snowmobile accident," he says, dropping his voice a bit further, in case anyone is trying to listen in. "I'll tell you guys what all I know later, once we can get the group back together."

"Anyway," the scholar shrugs, "Think I should go try to help bail him out?" he asks, quickly stuffing the last of the doughnut into his mouth as he awaits feedback from his companions.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Adam

"Sure is... in theory," argued Allison. "You just need time and a sh*tload of arrows. Anyway, if you do reach the Olympics, remember I was one of your fans before it was cool."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't guarantee this conversation will go anywhere hugely interesting unless you take it there yourself, but if you're fine with casual talk, so am I.

Conrad

Danny seemed a bit taken aback by Conrad's fast talk.

"What? Uh... oh, sure," he mumbled. He turned to the gaggle of archery club members who were mostly hanging around the table for each other's company: "Hamid, can you take care of the booth? Thanks. I'll be back in a few."

He followed Conrad across the crowded room, looking somewhat unsure of himself. The door to the backroom turned out to be locked.

Jacob

"Tonight? I'll mostly be proofreading and laying out the paper's first edition of the semester for Wednesday," answered Ellen as they entered the arts and humanities building. "Unless my boyfriend manages to convince me to leave it to someone else and take a break," she added, a bit pointedly and with an apologetic smile, as if suspecting Jacob to be hitting on her.

Spoiler
    Show
    I support romantic relationships, but I can't always serve them on a silver platter.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-23 at 06:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #95

AssassinGuy

"Ah, I'm sorry about not being clearer. I meant it strictly as friends. Thought you were probably dating someone. You seemed focused on your work but not someone who was married to it. And no problem, some other time then?" said Jacob with a friendly nod.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lol Sentinel. Jacob was planning to try and get her relaxed and see if he could get some more info out of her in an less tense setting.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Success! Well at least so far. Conrad could not feel better. While his persona had been shoddily hobbled together and his explanation slightly confusing, sheer gumption got this sorry sucker to follow him. Hobbling his way towards the door to the backstage, he rattled it and found it locked. "Aw, shucks..." He said in a frustrated tone. While he could try to pick the lock, one might get suspicious of a nerd journalist, or nerdnalist performing illicit activities. After all, Conrad knew when to act and when not to. He had to think fast... And act faster! "Wait... I know a place... Sorry about all the waiting, Danny."

Conrad moved as quickly as he could out of Tyler Hall proper. He was aware of a basement that was rarely occupied and fairly easy to get into. The Custodians tended to leave it wedged open slightly because getting a key into the lock was too finicky. Limping down the halls, he makes sure that Danny follows him, the soul of congeniality. From his sachel, he brings out a small notepad and a pen in preparation as they enter the door to the basement.

While windowless, the place didn't seem nearly as grungy as expected. Conrad always expected basements to look at terrible as possible. As the two of them entered, he slid the door shut and locked it. "Sorry Danny. I really wanted an interview... Let's have it, shall we?" With a whip of the hand, Conrad brought his cane sharply onto the archer's foot, leaning in close and whispering, "I'm going to ask you questions and you're going to tell me everything you know, and if you make any sound outside of answering that question, there's going to be a lot of pain. Do you know how hard it is to pull a bowstring with a shattered wrist? Or would you prefer to lose the nerves in your arm entirely? Nod quietly if you agree. If not... Well... I'd hate to see what would happen in the meantime."

Spoiler
    Show
    Manipulation+Intimidation for verbal coercing
    (7d10)[4][2][5][8][9][8][1](37)
    (3d10)[1][4][4](9)
    3 Successes. Poor Danny.
    Last edited by Enoich; 2013-08-23 at 07:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hah. The volley theory. Gotcha."

Adam checks the time, making sure how much time he has left before his first class (something about neurology, stupid morning classes), and debating making that appearance at the team table, or just spending more time alone with Allison.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm cool with just skipping over it, sitting out unless someone or something needs his attention.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

Spoiler
    Show
    Resolve + Composure for Danny: (4d10)[3][3][4][6](16)
    10-again: (2d10)[8][2](10)

Danny swallowed hard and nodded frantically.

Jacob

Ellen smiled. "Heh, sorry... misunderstanding. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions."

They reached the newspaper's office, which was closed at this time. Ellen drew a key from her pocket and opened the door. The smallish room was a mess of papers, books, old computers from the pre-flat-screen era, pinboards covered with newspaper clippings and pictures, empty soda cans, and candy bar wrappings; there was barely enough room to move around. Ellen carefully picked her way to what was presumably her desk, opened a drawer and took a black Nirvana t-shirt from it. She then grabbed a sheet of paper from the desk and handed it to Jacob.

"Oh, read this and give me your honest opinion. It's the article I just wrote about a Maxwell student who won the Illinois archery tournament." As soon as Jacob looked down at the paper, Ellen quickly changed into the clean t-shirt. "Heh, sorry, just needed an excuse to keep you distracted. Want something to drink?"

She opened the small fridge by her desk. The inside was filled with soda cans and energy drinks. She selected a Mountain Dew for herself.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-23 at 09:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

Leon keeps scanning the room. He notes Adam still sitting with Allison, and he spots Conrad lead Danny off toward the door to the backstage area, and then to the basement. "Well, that seems to be working out. Here's hoping Conrad can get the information we need."
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jackpot

It was a beautiful feeling, control. People didn't nearly have enough of it nowadays. There was so much chaos in this world and most people were just drifting in the tides. Conrad never liked the water and preferred to be in complete control whenever possible. Licking his lips, he keeps his eyes upon the boy. He's scared shiftless... Perfect time to grill him.

"All right, Danny Boy. I hear you've been a busy one... busy busy boy. I sniffed around and heard about a couple snowmen you were handling. Turns out inside were human hearts. I can't imagine what sick, depraved creature would think to rip out a heart just to fuel their own devices, but... I think you might know... Now, tell me. Who gave you the hearts. And remember, if I find out that anything coming out of your mouth isn't gospel truth, I'll be coming back and..." His cane taps faintly at the boy's shoulder, "I hear an injury can ruin an athlete's entire life..."
    Last edited by Enoich; 2013-08-23 at 10:21 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

AssassinGuy

"Red Bull, thanks." said Jacob as Ellen handed him the drink. He looked down at the article Ellen had handed him. He saw that a Pre-Med student named Adam Correll had recent won the Illinois State Archery Tournament and potentially qualified for the Olympics.

"It's good. Enough excitement and hype so people recognize the value of the achievement but nothing that isn't built on hard facts. Solid journalism," said Jacob, rather impressed with the quality of the article as he handed it back to Ellen.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah continues to just casually sit with his friends, although he does take a moment to go snag another doughnut. He returns with a cheery smile, casually munching on the baked good as he casts the occasional glance over at Conrad and his interrogation. Since he seems to be doing alright, Jonah opts not to interrupt.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

His face obviously pale even in the dim light, Danny spoke quickly in a trembling voice: "Trust me, man, you're way in over your head. This isn't some wannabe pot dealer you can beat up with a few pals. I'm being honest here; if I just wanted you out of my hair, I'd send you straight to that fµcker with no warning."

He gave Conrad's cane a nervous glance. "You'll have to go through a middleman first, anyway."

Jacob

"Why, thanks," said Ellen, dimples appearing on her cheeks as she smiled. "You know, after the Halloween business, Adam would stand a decent chance of winning the election if he weren't the shy type. I mean, he's a hero and everything, but I tried to interview him right after the tournament, and I can see there's no way he can make it through a debate. Pity. He seems like a nice guy to me, but being nice just isn't enough."

She pressed the chilled can of Mountain Dew against her reddened hand to dull the pain. "Know what I think, though? I think more competition this year just gives Michelle a better chance. People aren't that stupid; they'll know the new candidates are just in it for the money."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-26 at 09:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #104

AssassinGuy

"There are lots of nice people in the world. How many make it? America creates a system that encourages ruthlessness, lying and backstabbing. Our own society simultaneously worships psychopathy in CEO's, lawyers and politicians and demonizes it in law breakers. It's a zero-sum game in the end." said Jacob thoughtfully as he took a swig of the energy drink.

"Yeah. She can say that she isn't in it for the money, she's doing it because she genuinely cares. She has two years of essentially 'free' work to back up her claims. I'm guessing there will be a lot of initial candidates but maybe 4 or 5 will make it to the end. Even then, only 2 or 3 will be serious candidates that could win."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

The boy was being reticent, that's for sure. Conrad didn't feel in the mood to go around a bunch of middlemen, but apparently he was going to be in deep trouble if he chased around a serial killer...Well... Duh? But he couldn't look nonplussed, especially in the face of a witness, so he closed in, the sparks of fury in his eyes at this punk's insolence. "What do you think? A fella selling hearts would be a cakewalk? Of course he's going to be dangerous. What I don't understand is why a kid like you decided to get involved with this. I'm starting to lose my patience, and when I lose my patience, things get hurt..."

A moment passed as Conrad composed himself, letting out a breath. "I want you to give me all the information you can, not only about about this middleman but the seller. Did he harvest them just to give them to you, and was he also peddling brains and courage? Can't trust you with a pen. You have to tell me. Tell me everything you know, or else I'm going to get cross."'

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

"I... I know almost nothing about him," Danny stammered, cringing away from Conrad. "I don't know his name or where to find him. I was blindfolded while they drove me there; the guy's real paranoid. Anyway, he was selling lots of stuff. Weird stuff like pickled lizards and stopped clocks, all expensive as hell. If you want to see him, you've got to go through Rebecca first. I can get you in touch."

Jacob

Ellen laughed. "I liked your little editorializing there. My newspaper could use people like you."

Others

Matthew was still on his computer with the others nearby when a purple-haired tornado whooshed by their table.

"Hiiiii there," said the newcomer breathlessly. "I'm Ashley Parsons. I'll be running for prez. I mean, Michelle's nice and all, but she's been there for literally forever, and I think it's time for change, don'tcha think? Anyway, I've got big plans to make the campus go green. Y'know, recycling, tree-planting and stuff, 'cause the way Maxwell's going right now, we're literally shooting ourselves in our own graves... er, I mean, anyway... I'd also like to put pressure on the biology program to make them stop using lab animals, 'cause would you believe the things they do to them? There's a documentary I saw once, where... Oh, nevermind. Also, the cafeteria doesn't have enough vegan options. We need to fix that. And I mean, tuna sandwiches? Tuna fishing's not sustainable!"

She handed them campaign flyers riddled with cringeworthy typos and went on without missing a beat:

"Oh, for the record, they're printed on recycled paper, so please, when you're done with them, recycle them again, 'kay? There's not much on them right now, but I'm about to start a Facebook page for my campaign and I'll also have a Twitter and everything, so I'll keep you in touch. Anyway I've gotta run, I have literally a ton of these flyers to distribute, but it's been a pleasure talking with you, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice for a bright future and clean planet for our kids and grandkids. It starts with us, folks!"

She darted off before she could further defile the word literally.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-08-27 at 06:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah looks down at the flyer he has been handed, tilting his head curiously. "She literally needs an editor," he mutters to himself. "Seriously, her proofreader needs to be shot. Wonder how she'd feel if she knew how much paper she's wasting on these faulty flyers, hm?" he muses.

18. - Top - End - #108

Leon chuckles at Jonah's comment. "Does it surprise you? Look at her. Purple hair, bubbly personality, incorrectly abuses the word "literally," talks faster than a hamster on speed and has less of a clue what she's talking about. And she's a vegan." Leon states her status as a vegan as though it's far more heinous than any of the other qualities he had listed. "Still, I'm almost tempted to support her bid. Anyone to take Michelle down."
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

19. - Top - End - #109

AssassinGuy

"Oh I'm not sure I'm cut for journalism. I'm too selfish. But I'm sure there's someone like me with the right mindset. We all have talents and some people are just better suited for certain fields. I just think that talent ought to be cultivated and I hate seeing it wasted. It's good to see you perfecting yours." said Jacob as he nodded towards Ellen. He finished the Red Bull and looked around for a recycling or trash bin.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

As far as Conrad could tell, Danny was not lying when he said he didn't know much. He looked genuinely terrified.

"It's... maybe half an hour's drive from here, but I don't know the direction," Danny went on, as if hoping more words would placate Conrad. "It's in a basement with boarded-up windows. The seller told me to call him Mr Grey, but it sounds like something he came up with on the spot. Rebecca just calls him Sir. Creepy-looking old man, foreign accent..."

Jacob

There was a trash bin, but no recycling bin. Jacob knew there were recycling bins in every hallway, though, especially in this very building, which was ruled by the most militant members of the school and referred to by some students as the People's Republic of Arts & Humanities.

"Well, I'll be going back to Tyler Hall now that I've changed clothes," Ellen said. "Got other people to interview."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

21. - Top - End - #111

AssassinGuy

"I'll show myself out then. I still have a couple books to pick up. It was nice talking to you Ellen. If you need anything just give me a call." said Jacob as he gave her his phone number, nodded and smiled.

He went into the hall; and sure enough, found a recycling bin for the can. He walked towards the nearest bathroom. Once inside he checked to see if it was empty. If there were people inside, he waited until it was empty before sending texts to Michael and Michelle.

To Michael
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heading to the bookstore. Have to grab some supplies. Will meet you for lunch off campus.

To Michelle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ellen inviting all candidates to public debates and speeches this week and next. Will reveal dirt on any candidate that doesn't come. Don't think she has anything on our conversation. Will help with preparation if needed.

"I really need to get a burn phone soon..."
    Last edited by savior indra; 2013-08-28 at 05:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Keep the boy talking, seemed a good strategy. Any bad cop knows that the actual pain is only temporary, but the threat of more pain gets people spitting out anything and everything they know. Conrad's frustration did not ebb and he kept it a low simmer as he began to think. This Mr. Grey fellow was sketchy as hell and showing up with a blindfold hardly seemed his idea of a party, but if this foreign freak couldn't be reached by any other way, so be it. The major concern seemed to be if he was brought to Mr. Grey right now, there wouldn't be any backup. No crazy A-Team action that would get him out of danger. No, no... He would need to get everyone together.

"You've been very helpful, Danny, I appreciate that, but something doesn't add up. We've got this paranoid old coot selling hearts and a middleman to get to him... How the hell did you wind up meeting with this Rebecca in the first place? I know you had your reasons, even if they were stupid, but how did you get from Archery Club to Buying frozen hearts?"

"Oh yeah, almost forgot. You have Rebecca's contacts? I can't trust you enough to set up an interview without giving up too much. I want to find out this operation myself and it'd be in your best interests to let me purchase in peace, capisce?"

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    But was she hot? , He asked curiously XD

Almost unable to contain his laughter through the entire exchange Matthew starts checking his computer as soon as the purple tornado leaves their table.

" Man that was hilarious! I'm gonna see what's up with her right now "

He says as he starts combing the net for information about "Ashley Parsons"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam stares blankly at the purple tornado, blinking through his confusion. As she blows on to ravage other tables, he looks down at Allison, "Well that doesn't instill much confidence in the competition, now does it?"
    -Odentin

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad

Danny's ears reddened. "I, uh, used to do drugs. I always knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. I ended up meeting Rebecca. She was selling drugs I'd never seen before. When I bribed her enough, she introduced me to her supplier, Mr. Grey. He doesn't just sell drugs, though; his other stuff is way more interesting."

"Rebecca's not hard to find, she hangs out near the bus station. Homeless chick with a black hoodie and dreadlocks and piercings. I'm sure you've seen her before."

Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed, Conrad knows Rebecca by sight. She never say thanks when people give her money; then again, she never asks people money in the first place.

Jacob

Michael answered Jacob's text with a perfunctory Ok.

Michelle answered: Ha sounds like her ill be there of course [sic]

The waiting lines at the bookstore were pretty long, as could be expected at this time of the semester.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I don't have much to say. Maybe I'll come with with something, like a character popping up.

Others

Matthew easily found Ashley's highly-active Facebook, Twitter and deviantART pages, all of them open to the public and filled with sickeningly sweet inspirational pictures and sayings. She was an art student and was interested in the environment (that much had been obvious earlier), gender and queer politics, bird-watching, indie music, paranormal romance and Wicca. She was also a teensy bit too open for comfort about the details of her polyamorous love life; Matthew wondered how long that candor would last once the campaign picked up some steam.

The next candidate to make an appearance to their table was Max Hodges, an on-and-off member of the RPG Club and exuberant drama student. He thrust a sheet of paper right under Adam's nose, and Adam saw at once that it was Max's form for becoming a candidate. Max already had three signatures out of five.

"Will the all-conquering Halloween Hero do me the honor of endorsing my bid? For I cannot submit this form with just any loser's signature, now can I? No sir, I want to truly blow away whoever will be processing the paperwork! I want them to think: Why, if none other than Adam Correll supports this handsome Max Hodges fellow, so shall I!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Adam's free hand impacts his forehead with enough force to leave a red mark before running down his face. Despite his exhasperation, he does sign the actor's form, giving the man an amused smile and shake of the head, "Good luck."
    -Odentin

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Jonah raises an eyebrow at the girl's web profiles. "Interesting... Not the worst potential candidate, I'm sure..."

When Max shows up, Jonah gives a meek smile and wave, staying out of the way for the time being.

28. - Top - End - #118

Leon scoffs as he looks over Matt's shoulder at the webpages. "Well, if she's not the worst, I don't want to know who is. What's this "paranormal romance" bollocks?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Finally... Paydirt!

Conrad was familiar with the homeless chick, although he never realized her name was Rebecca. She always seemed too creepy to approach and he never felt desperate enough to try and take a tumble with her. Also, there was a fair chance he would be stabbed mid-coitus. Still, if that was the connection and she was so expressible, it was a perfect series of events. While this Mr. Grey will be difficult to contact, at least he wouldn't have to go through Danny any more. His usefulness had certainly ended.

"Perfect... I appreciate your cooperation with this little conversation and I only have a few things to say before we blissfully part ways. Firstly, don't try to follow me out and jump me, thinking me unawares. I have connections the likes of which you don't even realize and I'll be more-than-willing to cripple you in an act of 'self-defense'..."

In a flash of the hands, Conrad flipped his cane so the business-end was pointing into the boy's gut, "Secondly, forget this ever happened. Life your life in blissful unawares, and get off the drugs, kid. You can't be more than twenty. You have the rest of your life to fúck yourself up. Anyway, it'll keep you out of a dealer's hands... Not to mention the heart's business... Keep your nose clean."

After a brief pause, Conrad grinned briefly as the jab became a hard shove into the boy's solar-plexus, a striking blow akin to a small rubber fist as he leaned in close to whisper in Danny's ear, "Oh yeah... You better not let this Mr. Grey know anything about what went on here. Because I know where you are, your classes... Where you fúcking sleep. Just be a good boy and do your archery. If I hear that you aren't keeping clean or that you are involved with this kinda shít again, You'll suffer... It won't be quick, and it won't be nice... Stay in school..."

Letting the kid collapse to the ground with his blow, Conrad unlocked the door to the basement, slipping his way out unawares and leaving the door slightly propped open. Such a hit could knock the wind out of you for a good while and Danny wasn't likely to leave any time soon. The gambler decided to slip into his usual attire, taking a casual walk outside of Tyler hall, whistling and twirling his cane, slipping around the back and pulling out his smartphone. He had been given a couple numbers at his inundation. He had received Leon's phone number somewhere in his initiation and it seemed silly to stay in that hall with a potentially pissed-off archer. Conrad waited for the dial tone patiently, staring up at the bright January sun. Gonna get hot soon... Who's gonna burn?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Matthew shrugs.

" Beats me. Maybe she wants to get it on with a vampire or something you know Twilight style? . Typicall teenage girl stuff. Still... It does seem interesting enough, i feel she would be... easy to manipulate..."