New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC

Halsaephus

Armour removed, Hal dives down to assist removing the blockage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim check
    (1d20+2)[4]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Naberius the Non-Linear Problem Solver

The handsome wizard looks on at the scene, bemused at the pair attempting to shift the blockage. He draws a finger along the wand of Shatter resting in his robes and smiles good-naturedly at Mirriana and Goattracker.

"It's too bad there isn't a safer solution to this predicament. I'd hate for anything to happen to them while they are down there mucking about. Great decision on the Summon, by the way. Very elegant."

He pauses for a moment and looks pointedly down at the pair in the water.

"...I may have another solution to that blockage, if they are unable to shift it. How long do you want to give them?"
    “If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches." -Rainer Maria Rilke

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not so sure Shatter would actually work. The stuff is probably not "crystal, glass, ceramic, or porcelain," (though we'll let you know if it is), and merely "sundering" other objects would not necessarily remove the blockage. At least at our house, the toilet is as likely to need attention on account of "many small objects" as it is for "a few large objects."

4. - Top - End - #424

yuk Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC

Water-logged Hal

Even more dispirited than before, the sputtering samurai struggles to get back to dry land.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4] dog elf paddle back to entrance.

What did you expect, Hal? When did you ever not brush off swim class?
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

The Goliath flashes a wry smile at the Elf as he slowly removes his armor. Once fully in the buff, Goattracker dives into the water to use his awesome might to pull free the blockage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim Check: (1d20+4)[16]
    Strength Check: (1d20+4)[22]

Last edited by Felhammer; 2013-10-30 at 10:43 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"The summoning only worked thanks to that Pearl of Power. That was an exceptionally useful find! I'd give them another few minutes, you know how guys like to show off," I remark to Leila/Naberius.

I nudge the pile of Goattracker's discarded attire with my toe, and idea beginning to form. Whilst I've come to respect my fellow cleric's combat prowess, his personal hygiene leaves a lot to be desired. Adventuring with him isn't so bad as long as I can keep at least a five foot distance between us.

"What do you reckon? If I tip it in we can get him bathed and laundered all at once! Or do you have a prestidigitation prepared today?"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2013-10-31 at 08:19 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Naberius the Light Bringer

"To be honest, I was more concerned with being lost down here in the dark and cold. I prepared two spells of Light and that minor scrying spell. I'm fairly certain I can clean him while he sleeps, though."

He emits a girlish giggle and covers his lips with his hand. It would be quite endearing, if the laugh wasn't strangely twisted by his baritone pitch.
    “If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself, tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches." -Rainer Maria Rilke

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I consider pitching Goattracker's clothes into the pool anyway, but assaulting him with magic while he sleeps does seem less conflict inducing. With a shrug, I retract my foot, leaving the pile of garments un-drenched. I share a smirk with Leila over our covert plan, confident our exchange has not been overheard by the submerged goliath, then go back to watching how progress on the blockage is coming along.

I'm beginning to feel better. I don't know why. We may not have found my brother, or even the full extent of the cairn yet, but that was the first time I've felt like joking in days. It feels good!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2013-10-31 at 09:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429

Halsaephus the Damp

Pulling himself from the water, the brooding young (by elf reckoning) samurai avoids eye-contact with anyone. He sees the smirks on Lady Mirriana and the bound spirit possessing Leila's mouth, presuming he is the target of their mockery.

Sulkily he re-dons his armor.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Wounds healing in displays of curative magic the party once more turn to the problem of the flooded room. With the rippling light from the magical spell the debris covering the ancient drainage system seem to be predominantly beetle husk, chunks of stone and long hardened bits of leather from ancient aprons that have compacted into a solid mass blocking drain. Even as Leila/Naberius considers the use of shatter Goattracker, naked and magnificent leaps into the water to join a damp and elf-paddling Hal and the shifter. Between the shifter and the massive goliath there is a crunching noise as the mass shifts and a with a whooshing gurgle the whole rooms begins to drain once more.

Although the water foams and rushes down the drain it is not enough to drag anyone down to a wet and damp death...

Even as the water's drain away and get to ~ 5ft deep mark suddenly Goatracker and Marten can see the figure perched in the left hand doorway. Decayed flesh and twisted bones cover a figure in what was once a nice robes, a tattered Seeker star on the front of the robes a likley source for this living dead! The ghoulish survivor who had been hiding out in the water hisses before moving to strike!

Spoiler
    Show

Water draining
    Rounds 1+2 = V.difficult terrain 4 squares = 1 or swimming
    Rounds 3+4= difficult terrain (knee high) = 2 squares = 1 square
    Rounds 5+6 = normal., just puddles

The ghoul is ~35ft away and looks surprised to be suddenly exposed

Its 45ft away from the stairs with Mirriana, Bernard, Leila and a damp Hal.

Initiatives
    Goattracker (1d20+1)[8]
    Hal (1d20+6)[10]
    Leila (1d20+6)[22]
    Mirriana (1d20+5)[9]
    Marten (1d20+2)[3]
    Bernard (1d20+3)[7]

GHOUL! (1d20+2)[19]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Naberius the Opportunist

Naberius eyes the Ghoul warily and draws on his vast arcane knowledge.

"My friends! Stand ready, an undead flesh-eater approaches!"

With that rather obvious update, he fishes out a vial of acid and hurls it at the ghoul!

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Religion: (1d20+7)[10]
    Readied action against him attacking someone.
    Casting Grease on him if he swings in melee. DC: 15 or fall prone.
    Last edited by RaviStrife; 2013-10-31 at 04:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Reacting as quickly as I can I grasp my holy symbol in hand and attempt to intimidate the ghoul into retreat. "Turn undead!"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

The ghoul hisses a sharp hiss as the water is receding, a long scaled and clawed hand rubbing a tarnished golden ring on its finger. It hisses and gestures at the massive naked monster of a goliath and a beam of blackness flies forth...

Spoiler
    Show

As the water is still deep the grease spell wouldn't have an effect yet.
    You can retake your action if you want Leila?

Ray Enfeeble (1d20-1)[18] Touch (including cover bonus from the deep water) -- Strength damage (1d6+1)[4] for 2 minutes

14. - Top - End - #434

Halsaephus

Opting to eschew his armor, Halsaephus with thinblade in hand closes onto the abomination.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full move, meaning 2 squares I think (am unarmored thus 12 AC and 30 movementaltogether)?

Also, ghoul or ghast? Between that and the no sleep in the last room it is almost cool to be an elf!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

The naked Goliath reels from the onslaught of dark mysticism. He turns his head slowly towards the Ghoul, "FOUL ABOMINATION! YOU SHALL NOT HURT MY FRIENDS!" The Goliath then begins casting his signature spell - Enlarge Person.

Spoiler
    Show
    Goat casts Enlarge Person, which has a casting time of 1 Round.
    DMing:

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Ghoul, I come for you! My claws are sharper, and my jaws are stronger.

The four-legged shifter slogs through ten feet of water before blinking out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the ghoul looks closely enough, Taliesn has teleported to a point 10' from the ghoul but completely under water. I think that at least gives me cover against it?

Also, for the record, although it doesn't matter this particular time, my initiative modifier is +4 since I traded for the Quick Reconnoiter feat.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

"Time to make some Ghoulash!" Bernard says as he loosens an arrow.
    Spoiler
    Show

To hit
    [roll]1d20+4[roll]
    Damage
    [roll]1d6[roll]
    forgot slashes I was not very smart and already made roll in OOC instead of just adding them .
    Last edited by Handsome Goblin; 2013-11-01 at 10:47 AM.
    Currently Playing
    -Bernard

18. - Top - End - #438

Halsaephus

Wading in towards the ghoul, Hal stabs out with his blades.

Spoiler: Samurai Attack!
    Show
    [roll]1d20+2][/roll]/(1d20)[4]
    damage (1d8+2)[9]/(1d6+1)[4]
    Crit if rolled 18-20 [roll]1d20+2][/roll]/(1d20)[4]

Huh. To the OOC!

Everyone remember Ziegfried from Final Fantasy III?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-11-01 at 01:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I lower the holy symbol, an exasperated look on my face.

"Really Bernard, goulash? That's your pre-asskicking one liner?"

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

The flask of acid hisses noisily as it splashes over the ghoul, dead flesh sloughing off old bones as the caustic chemicals bite into the creature. Even as that happens the young female cleric holds forth the holy symbol but deep in the caverns and her power is weak and the ghoul is not affected.

Even as his muscles shrivel and fade the goliath grows larger, slowly becoming a towering figure 12 feet tall. Bernard and Marten and Hal all move to assault as well. Hal splashing through the water and Marten advancing with a combination of splashing and blinking. A lone arrow floating over the beast's shoulder...

Spoiler
    Show

Mirriana and Leila to go again before the ghoul can come a munching!

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Naberius

Naberius fishes out another vial of acid and hurls it at the abomination!

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the long delay here. I could not, for the life of me, think of a better move.
    Last edited by RaviStrife; 2013-11-03 at 06:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I'm about as impressed that the Ghoul has ignored my admonishment as I am with Bernard's pun. Holding my symbol higher, I try and channel the will of my deity again. "Turn undead!"

Spoiler
    Show

Turn check: (1d20)[10]
    Turn HD: (2d6+3)[8]

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

The ghoul hisses as another vial of acid splash onto soaking into its ancient bones searing flesh and biting deep into wizened flesh as it begins to resemble a figure of molten flesh.

The water continues to pour out of the drain, the water slowly becoming knee deep allowing slightly faster movement. The ghoul hisses and waves a hand towards Leila, a pair of molten black balls of dark magic lashing out towards the wizard and hitting with frightening force...

Spoiler
    Show

Magic missile (1d4+1)[2] and (1d4+1)[2]

Water is now knee deep so difficult terrain as opposed to v.difficult terrain

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So if Goat is 35 feet away, it would take a total of 14 squares to get over to the creature. Goat is unarmored, so he moves at 30 feet a round. Goat also has a natural reach of 10 feet now.

If I move double my speed I move 60 squares divided by 2 for the water, so 30 feet. Add that to my reach and I am now in melee range!

I am going to charge the creature and attack with my first!

Oh wait, no, I can't. Difficult Terrain stops charge actions. Oh well. I'll just run up to the creature.

Oh wait, can't do that either. So... I will walk up 15 feet and intimidate!

No, IIRC, undead can't be intimidated (makes sense, zombies don't really care if you are packing a knife or a rocket launcher).

So... I will just walk up 15 feet and look awesome!

GOATTRACKER

The Cleric finishes chanting his prayer to Kavaki. The already behemoth-sized Goliath grows into a leviathan-sized creature. With a deep, thundering voice he yells, "Have at thee, foul creature of the night!" Goatracker rushes as far forward as far as he can towards the mangled grotesque.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: my full distance, 15 feet in difficult terrain, forward.

Last edited by Felhammer; 2013-11-03 at 03:54 PM.
    DMing:

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Determined to see the ghoul off, I make one last effort to turn it. Distaste for getting my feet wet and concern for Leila prevent me from advancing, but I do draw my sword.

"Turn undead!"

Spoiler
    Show

Turn undead:
    Turn check: (1d20)[19] Turns CL +3. 5HD of ghoul, start running!
    HD to be turned: (2d6+2)[6]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2013-11-03 at 04:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

As the water continues to drain away, Taliesn rises from beneath and bounds across the final 10' between them to snap at the ghoul with his jaws.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to go the 10', then attack:
    to hit: (1d20+4)[16] damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Edit: Ghoul: it's what's for dinner!
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2013-11-03 at 05:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Naberius

Naberius mutters to himself as he searches for his third and final vial. He hurls it at the Ghoul while shouting "The third time pays for all!"

Spoiler
    Show

Still glad I picked these up. Someone remind me to make some scrolls, later.

Attack roll (1d20+2)[18]
    Damage (1d6)[3]
    Confirm (1d20+2)[3]

Sorry I've been so sloppy woth this encounter, guys. This grease is burning a hole in my pocket.

28. - Top - End - #448

Halsaephus

Pressing ever onward, the elf moves closer to the ghoul.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full movement.

If this get me within striking range...

(1d20+4)[20]
    (1d8+2)[8]
    I gotta get me a truedeath crystal.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

Bernard winks at Mirriana and then fires another arrow at the ghoul.

Spoiler
    Show
    To hit
    (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage
    (1d6)[4]
    Currently Playing
    -Bernard

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

There is savage crunch as Marten's teeth shear into the creature's arm tearing the left arm free of the melting and hissing body. Before the ghoul can strike with its paralysing touch the glowing light of Mirriana's faith washes over it and it turns to flee...

Moments later another flask of acid slams over its head, the skull melting under the caustic assault before with a dull thunk an arrow tears into it black heart and it topples forward dead (again).

The looting starts moments later as the last of water drains out of chamber over the next minute revealing a floor covered in slime and dirt and a half eaten body washes out of the right hand chamber, armour with a seeker star on the mouldy chest, a red glass and copper lantern strapped to its waist and a short sword poking from a broken scabbard that seems undaunted by the mould and water.

Spoiler
    Show

Loot on the dead body
    Red Lantern
    MW Leather armour
    Short sword +1

Loot on the ghoul
    Golden ring with Seeker symbol (~200gp)
    Belt Pouch 2pp, 38gp, 55sp
    Spell Bones (as spell book but carved on bones)
    Hand of the Mage