New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC

Halsaephus

Hal welcomes the healing energies, adding a new scar to his growing list.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    Taliesn

Spoiler
    Show
    He also whips out the CLW wand and starts healing, starting with himself, then GoatTracker, then whoever else. I'm going to throw out ten rolls and use them up in order. Since Craft Wand requires CL 5, I have assumed that as the wand's CL:
    (1d8+5)[6]
    I'll take that one.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

Claire blushes under the scrutiny. "Er, its different for different spellcasters, based on their understanding. Its a simple spell. I can understand the basic function of armor, and my mind can enforce that effect around me. Its fake armor." She taps around her, the grey sheen popping up every few taps. "Its the knowledge that that is going to deflect say, an arrow. I'm not as sturdy or well built as the rest of you. Such precautions are necessary. I have another that does the same as a shield. Knowledge is just my font of power."
    Just finding my roots again.

3. - Top - End - #1203

Halsaephus

"Indeed, but it is still a dark mark on my honour that I spoke ill of all necromancers when first we me," Hal says.

He bends to one knee a looks at the floor.

"I pray you will accept my sincerest apology, Lady Claire."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

Searching about the bodies scattered around the U-bend shaft yields little in the way of goodies but a few things are to be found. A couple of potions on the knife wielding barbarian and the body of an ancient and long dead thief of sorts partially buried in the corner filled with choker droppings. The way up should be easy to get to as long as you can brave the wobbly rope bridge leading up to the next set of caves.

Spoiler: LOOT!
    Show

Drow Ivory Dice (300gp), Golden necklace with a figure of ObadHai (400gp), 242gp
    Potion [Cat's Grace, Bulls Strength]
    MW Silver dagger
    Studded Leather +1

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Is everyone in a fit state for another fight? If so we may continue."

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

Having stowed the liberated loot in my pack, I lead the way deeper into the caverns.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Once the rest of the party have made it up to the base of the rickety bridge (Taliesn blinks up, and I'm sure Claire just flies), Taliesn suggests, "I'm not sure how safe this bridge is, or what we may find at the upper end. I suggest that I blink up with one of GoatTracker's ropes, to guard that end and to provide a lifeline for those who may need it."

He looks to Mirriana for approval and executes upon this plan with her nod.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Moving on the party quickly get dragged up to the small cave and the rough rope bridge as Talsien blinks up and trails a rope down. The rope bridge sways alarmingly, particularly for the big goliath but soon everyone is safely across.

The tunnel leading up is pitch dark, savage runes and stick figures of the humans being killed being daubed on the walls. Eventually, after ~ 5 minutes the party reach a wide open cavern. In the light of the torches and lanterns you can see 3 tunnels leading off this larger one, two vanishing into darkness, one with a faint glow at the end. But the smell by all 3 tunnels is horrible,, a mixture of rot, dung and death. Clearly you are now in the heart of the grimlock lair!

Spoiler: choices!
    Show

Which tunnel?

9. - Top - End - #1209

Halsaephus

"I propose heading into the light," Hal says. "If I am to walk constantly to my death, I should like to at least see where I am going."

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I nod my assent. All three passages are likely to be dangerous, but at least in this one we'll be able to see. "Taliesn, you're the strongest of us. Take point. Goattracker and Hal, follow him. I'll cast a strength spell to help one of you just before we get to the light. I'm the best protected, though I probably present the least threat to the foe. I'll bring up the rear in case we walk into an ambush, I'll at least be able to hold them up until we can redeploy."

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

"Or." Claire says, indicating her Zombie, still holding a torch. "We can have him take up the front or the rear."

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I nod apologetically as I move forward in line. That zombie's disturbingly easy to forget about.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn grins and nods, willingly, as he moves to the front. "I will growl if I sense anything," he says as he shifts to predator form. He sniffs the air and starts to pad down the lighted passage, keeping alert to anything ahead.

The pack elders would be proud if they could see me now, he thinks to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show

spot (1d20+9)[19] and listen (1d20+10)[23]

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

The party move swiftly down the dim corridors towards the third and final tunnel where they can faintly see a dim red glow and the sound of some slightly insane chanting.

The long passage through the rock winds down, deeper into the ground curving slowly inwards in a decreasing spiral. The air growing musty, stale and thick with the sickening smell of rotten flesh. Eventually it opens into a wide cavern that a little in front has a small natural stage some 10ft tall, the smoke from a fire clouding the top of it and 3 grimlocks with long stone tipped spears at its base.

The shadow on top of the stage moves and the smoke parts for a second giving you a glimpse of the insane grimlock priest, red hair and red runes cover his grey flesh and most horrifying are the unnatural eyeballs that have been sewn into his otherwise empty sockets. Clutching a symbol to the lord of slaughter he begins to summon his dark magics as the 3 grimlocks form a protective ring at the base of the plinth...

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn growls, turns his head back toward Claire, with a knowing glance. You know what I'm waiting for . . .

. . . and after her touch, he springs forward. I cannot yet reach the priest, but I can make quick work of these guards while others shoot at him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I delay just long enough for Claire to cast Enlarge Person and then it's trample time.

If Claire chooses to do something else, I move forward with an ordinary trample instead, circling back to be near her for next turn.

Enlarged Trample damage:
    guard #1 (2d6+6)[13]
    guard #2 (2d6+6)[11]
    guard #3 (2d6+6)[14]

Normal Trample damage:
    guard #1 (1d8+4)[11]
    guard #2 (1d8+4)[5]
    guard #3 (1d8+4)[6]

Either way, they may each make an AoO or try a DC 12 reflex save for half damage.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

Claire draws her wands, tapping Taliesn with one, before he goes. "Dám vám růst. This one might be their leader; he certainly has the look of one."

Spoiler
    Show
    Enlarge Person on Taliesn. 4 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I briefly consider augmenting Taliesn as well, but if that grimlock mage has anything that can shut him down, it'd likely be too many eggs in one basket. Instead, I turn to Hal. "Be strong," I tell him as I place a hand over his breast. Then I move to try and force my way past the guards and up onto the stage.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Bull's Strength on Hal.
    30ft move towards the stage.
    AC 23.

18. - Top - End - #1218

Halsaephus

"I shall not fail you, My Lady," Hal says, as the holy power courses through him.

Blades out, the elf slashes savagely at the nearest grimlock.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[12]/(1d20+6)[10]
    Damage (1d8+4)[5]/(1d6+2)[5]
    (1d20+7)[9]/(1d20+6)[15] crit if needed
    Damage (1d8+4)[9]/(1d6+2)[5] crit damage if needed.
    Or then again, maybe I will fail you. Really, elves are a fickle race.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2014-09-25 at 02:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

The grimlocks all bark and hoot before Talsien swells up to twice his height as Claire blesses him with the strength and power of an alpha predator. Behind them Mirriana does the same to Hal. A jolt of energy flowing along the elf's limbs as they feel strong and energised.

Sadly it doesn't translate into action as the elf's blades are parried by a swing axe, its blind owner snarling at Hal. Talsien butts and stamps and kicks the three of them even as they retailate with their long pointed stone spears...

Spoiler: AoO
    Show

Attack (1d20+7)[8] dam (1d8+4)[5]
    Attack (1d20+7)[12] dam (1d8+4)[11]
    Attack (1d20+7)[13] dam (1d8+4)[7]

Two of the beast's close on Talsien, the third continuing to hack at the elf! The crazed shaman gesturing at the rampaging druid, a shouted command in undercommon, "HOLD"

Spoiler: grimlocks
    Show

Cleric - cast Hold Person on Talsien DC16 will negates

Charge Talisen (1d20+9)[22] dam (1d8+4)[7]
    Charge Talsien (1d20+9)[26] dam (1d8+4)[12]
    Attack Hal (1d20+7)[12] dam (1d8+4)[7]

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

Claire winces as she sees Taliesn take spear blows. She turns her attention to the Cleric, pointing, shooting a ray of green energy at him, praying it would hit. "I krást vaše agilní!"

She commands her Zombie to charge forward, to try and get between Taliesn and the other attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I cast Ray of Clumsiness on the Cleric.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+3)[10]
    Dexterity Penalty: (1d6+4)[10]
    EDIT: OH COME ON. I need to prepare Cat's Grace at this rate because I am losing on some MAAAAAJOR utility at this rate.
    Zombie uses charge action against a Grimlock. I don't know its attack patterns.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6]
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-09-25 at 01:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1221

Halsaephus

The wild swings miss their mark, and Hal barely ducks under a wild axe swing in return.

'I shall not let you make me a liar," he says mildly, stabbing again at the blind beastman.

Spoiler: Stabbo!
    Show

Stab stab(1d20+7)[24]/(1d20+6)[7]
    Damage (1d8+4)[11]/(1d6+2)[8]
    (1d20+7)[25]/(1d20+6)[23] crit if needed
    (1d8+4)[12]/(1d6+2)[5]crit damage if needed

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I get out of here alive, I am totally going to swing a deal with Claire for daily castings of Mage Armor. The AoOs were pathetic, but those charges both struck home.

will save: (1d20+4)[6]

Assuming I succeed, since I cannot add more die rolls to a post later:

trample #1 (2d6+6)[15]
    trample #2 (2d6+6)[16]
    trample #3 (2d6+6)[15]

EDIT: Fudge! Those damage rolls would have cleaned them out, but instead, I'll just watch the rest of the proceedings.

As I understand the spell description, I make a save when the spell is cast – on the Grimlocks' turn – which I have failed. Then I may try again as a full round action on my turn. Assuming that's so, I'll do a follow up post for my turn.

The Grimlocks' spears draw blood and Taliesn becomes rigid as the priest's spell takes hold of his body.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2014-09-25 at 02:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn pt. 2
    Mustering all of his will and rage, Taliesn strains to break free of the magical bonds holding him in place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    will save (1d20+4)[5] Be kind to us, RNG, as we slaughter the forces of slaughter.

Edit: the only number less than my original save?? That does it. I'm converting to RNG atheist.

Edit #2: Yay, zombie! Yay, Hal! Someone put some popcorn into my mouth and move my jaw up and down?
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2014-09-25 at 02:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Goattracker, take an unengaged one!" she urges the goliath, recognising the seriousness of the shifter's plight. Abandoning her plan to reach the shaman, she instead strikes at one of the three grimlocks not already engaged by Hal, the zombie or Goattracker. Attacking from her position closer to the stage, she might even be able to distract the creatures by flanking...

Spoiler
    Show

Move to threaten preferably two of the grimlocks and flank if possible.
    Attack:(1d20+5)[14]+2 if flanking.
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]
    AC 23

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

"I will save you my friends!" The Goliath attacks the nearest enemy with his mighty club!

Spoiler
    Show
    Move up and attack!

A: (1d20+8)[11]
    d(2d8+6)[11]
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

In a great display of skill and daring the party dash back cutting and slashing at the wounded and battered grimlocks. Hal's delicate strike chopping out a throat and Mirriana stabbing the second solidly in the chest sending both dead to the floor. The last, about to slash open the paralysed shifter's throat is toppled from behind as a 4 armed zombie tackles it to the ground, teeth and claws tearing strops off flesh from it. Goat sadly missed, swinging at the cleric atop the slope but the laughing mad man danced back out of reach.

Gesturing, eyes still rolling crazily in the empty sockets he cackled manically before summoning a great spinning whirring mass of teeth and claws of evil force that hovered around Claire's head slashing at her.

Spoiler: Evil
    Show

3 grimlocks felled! wow.
    Cleric: spiritual weapon on Claire (1d20+7)[18] dam (1d8+3)[7]

27. - Top - End - #1227

Halsaephus

Seeing their advantage, Hal tries to close in on the spellcaster. Off-hand on guard, he stabs with his main blade.

Spoiler: Magically-enhanced stab!
    Show
    (1d20+9)[27] to hit
    (1d8+4)[5] damage
    (1d20+9)[25] to crit hit if it be needed
    (1d8+4)[10] crit damage if so required

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Troll in the Playground

Claire

Claire screams as the claws and teeth shred at her, and flies upward. She raises her hand, firing again at the Eyeball'ed Grimlock "I krást vaše agilní!"

She commands her Zombie to keep attacking.

Spoiler
    Show
    I cast Ray of Clumsiness on the Cleric.
    Ranged Touch Attack Roll: (1d20+3)[14]
    Dexterity Penalty: (1d6+4)[7]

Please please please please.
    Edit: Please please please please let this hit.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2014-09-30 at 06:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Abomination! Time to die!"

I hurl myself at the grimlock, attempting to pin it beneath my armoured bulk.

Spoiler
    Show

Charge!
    Grapple!

Step 1: AoO vs AC21.
    Step 2: Melee Touch Attack (1d20+7)[26]
    Step 3: Opposed grapple check: (1d20+5)[18] Unarmed Strike (Gauntleted, Lethal) (1d3+2)[4]
    Nice!
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2014-10-01 at 03:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

GOATTRACKER

"The might of the mountain shall thunder down upon you like an AVALANCHE!"

Spoiler
    Show
    A: (1d20+8)[19]
    d (2d8+6)[16]
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC