New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default 3.5 Anime Game (IC)

300 years have passed since the time of the Great War. The mighty mages of old waged a conflict that shook the foundations of the world. Arcane force and divine fury threatened to bring about the annihilation of all life. Finally, the destruction reached the point of no return. The world itself lashed out against the humanoid races as the dragons arose from their remote lairs and haunts to form a great flight the likes of which had never before been seen, and will not be seen again. Chromatic and Metallic dragons alike took wing to lay waste to the armies and city states of humanoid kind. The seemingly all-powerful spellcasters were destroyed utterly leaving their secrets lost to the ages. In a final act of rebuke, the dragons sealed away the ley lines of the world's inherent magic, though in so doing, what few ancient wyrms remained after the bloodshed of the war deprived themselves of the arcane energies necessary to sustain their life forces. The eldest and most powerful dragons slipped away into the slumber of eternity, to join the countless casualties their kind had suffered on the battlefield.

So it was that magic was lost to the mists of time, but now the mists gather once again. Twenty years ago, the expedition to the lost city of Goreyo awoke one of the great ley lines, the dragons and elves are rebounding from their losses in the Great War, and secrets thought to be lost forever are being rediscovered. A new age of the world is dawning...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1: The Island of Jibae

The door opens to reveal a derelict laboratory. Centuries of grime cover disused broken glassware and the remains of half finished magical experiments. Most of the equipment has clearly been in disuse for years beyond counting, but across the room, something is moving. Its shape is roughly humanoid, but its body made of metal rather than flesh and bone. The Warforged rummages through the remains of the lab, its red eyes scanning over the ancient room.

(Start introducing yourselves, socializing, and whatnot. The plot will be moving forward within a few days.)
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-20 at 09:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Anime Game (IC)

Kami stood at the entrance, keeping his stance balanced and even and himself between the being that moved about inside and his party but not keeping his party from being able to see in.

He was hoping this wouldn't turn into a fight, which, for him, was odd. Normally, he'd be spoiling for one right now. But with a child present, he felt compelled to at least try to temper himself some. He glanced back at the group for a second, waiting to see if any of them had any ideas on how to go about this before he did or said anything.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Intruders detected...5 total, 4 organic, 1 living construct...

The psiforged continues scanning the room.

Suggested course of action?

It bent over, picked up a piece of machinery, looked over the machine to ascertain its function, but was unable to do so due to the utter state of disrepair of the machine.

The machine was unceremoniously tossed to the side.

Are you even paying attention to me?

Yes. And I am not particularly concerned with our guests. So long as they do not initiate combat they are welcome to assist us in our research. ... How many did you say there were, again?

...Five.

Another piece of equipment would have found itself flying into the scrap heap like the previous one, if it like 26 and the psicrystal were sentient. As it turns out, typically, garbage cannot think or feel.
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

Thanks to Madcrafter for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The 'child', as it were, was indeed an odd one. For one thing, she was made entirely of metal.

Not to say she was a simple robot, like the Warforged of old, no, for this Warforged body held he soul of a young child, a little girl who had originally died in a fatal accident while exploring some ruins with her father. And so it came to pass that her father's last act was to summon her soul, and bind it to the body of an unearthed Warforged.

This Warforged was old, rusted, and small - clearly made for stealth and assassination. Yet it has been cleaned up, polished, with damaged sections being replaced with gleaming ironwood. Its head, perfectly spherical, had a mess of wires coming out of it, mimicking shoulder-length hair above a pair of glowing pale-blue eyes. A pair of metal cat ears sat atop her skull, external sonar sensors that allowed her to hear the sounds coming from within the lab.

A metal tail completed the image of some form of robotic catgirl, while extra-thick plating covered her otherwise mithril torso. There were slits on her wrists, where it looked like some sort of blades could be stored.

Yes, she was indeed odd. However, as the group approached the ruins, she showed one very human quality: curiosity. As Kami stood in front of the entrance, she tried to peek around him, instinctively staying behind him as her father had told her to do.

"Ohhh, I wonder what we'll find here," she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Maneuvers readied: Steel Rising, Moment of Perfect Mind, Sapphire Nightmare Blade. No stance active. Current Weapon Aptitude: fullblade.)

Makuta tapped Kami on the shoulder and nudged his way past, standing just inside the room but within easy reach of his recent companion.

"Here I thought you lacked any subtlety whatsoever. Color me amazed, and let me fill the sudden lack," Makuta muttered to Kami before whipping his fullblade from its half-sheath on his back and ramming it into the floor by his side, filling the room with a sudden clang.

"Declare yourself!" Makuta called out towards the warforged, apparently not caring that it could easily be interpreted as a challenge, especially coming from a man in full plate and bristling with weapons.
    Last edited by Wahrheit; 2013-08-20 at 11:24 PM.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooooh, a challenge! Lemme at 'em!

No. They probably do not realize that they are intruding here. Besides, you would shatter rapidly. I cannot permit that.

26 turns around to face the challenger. "I was sorting through these ruins. Are you going to distract me with vague unspecified threats, or shall I continue uninterrupted?"
    "By the way, do you know the best thing about magic? ... Everything." - Sarda, 8 Bit Theater

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Threats? When did I make a threat?" Makuta turned to Kami. "Did I threaten?"

He looked back at 26. "I asked first. Answer my question... wait, it wasn't a question, it was an imperative. Hmm. Okay, declare yourself, and then I'll answer your question."
    Last edited by Wahrheit; 2013-08-20 at 11:40 PM.

I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Before asking me to "declare myself", you drew your sword, then aggressively brandished it. You then called out to me with a slightly aggressive tone. Perhaps I am mistaken in labeling this a threat. However, I will comply with your request. This is, or was, the laboratory where I was created. I am an experimental warforged, Model #26 to be specific, of my creator's. I am currently in the process of gathering information about this lab and the recent magical disturbance which caused my awakening."

The psicrystal begins floating up and down among the group at the door, looking over Lal for a little bit longer than the rest.

"What business do you have here?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"Said the walking arsenal in a metal suit." Kami quipped back at the larger man in response to the question thrown his way before resuming point of the group very casually, neither assuming a stance nor so much as batting and eye at the other man. He did how ever make note of the crystal focusing on Lal, and opted to keep one eye on it.

"My Name is Kamikeri Longchild. We've been sent here to explore the ruins."
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The Warforged would notice that Lal was not a normal Warforged. She didn't even act like a Warforged that gained sentience. She acted more like a human child or a halfling in armor. She, for her part, was surprised to find another Warforged, especially one so well-spoken. She took her cue from Kami and introduced herself.

"Um, my name is Lal," she said. This Warforged, for some reason, made her nervous, she she moved back to stand behind Kami.
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Takashi brooded at the back of the group, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. His scimitars hung on the right side of his belt, and his small horns poked up through the dark hair hanging in front of his scarlet eyes. "Can't ever resist the urge to swing that huge lump of metal around can you?"
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

26 looks at the group. "I am curious...is there anything in particular you are searching for, Kamikeri?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The silver haired man an inch or so under avarage height with a build of all lean, tensile corded muscle though about it for a second before he responded evenly and soundly.

"General search, relics, knowledge, what ever there might be to be found here form before the last war with the dragons and the loss of magic."

Simple, to the point, honest, and he hoped disarming. It would not be said he wasn't at least gonna try to not punch first and not ask questions.
    "I Burn!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Makuta," he offered simply, still remaining on guard in case there were more lurkers in the dark.

He glanced at Takeshi, his stance not changing until the group could figure out what was going on. "Better to have a blade ready and unneeded than needed and unready."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Kami couldn't help but smile at this. He had a small dagger tucked inside the armor, it was accessible but it was fairly clearly more tool then weapon, though in a pinch it would do.

"Better still to make yourself the weapon in body and in mind and not rely upon things others make." He quipped once more over to Makuta with an amused smile. He had never been quite as stoic as many of his order, and he'd always had a bit more of a trigger, but for now, he was simply amused at the contrast in his approach to the sublime way compared to the others.
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Your conversation is interrupted by the sounds of squelching footsteps and voices that sound like mucus being cleared from the throat.

(Anyone speak Aquan?)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Kami perked up at the sounds, his head turning as he adjusted his angle, putting Lal to his back and himself between them and her as he did and his balance shifting to the balls of his feet as his legs spread to shoulder's with and back into his stance.

"26, these friends of yours?" He said it very softly, in the hopes it would not carry past them.

(Enter flowing Momentum Stance: Scarlet Rose. Between that and my Twin Step feat I get a +1 to AC per 10ft of movement a turn up to my initiator level divined by 3, and I don't take the -2 penalty for TWF. )
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Responding in a similar tone, the warforged says, "They are not. This is, however, a disturbance worth investigating..."

It then begins readying itself for a potential battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifesting Inertial Armor, augmenting it with 4 additional power points, for a total +6 to AC that overlaps with my armor bonus.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Lal froze up for a moment, her 'brain' rebooting as the Warforged body's programming took control. When it was done, she quickly attempted to hide next to the entry way where the sounds were coming from. She looked in that direction, her eyes glowing blue.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide check: (1d20+12)[19]

Casting Sense Magic.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2013-08-23 at 08:49 PM.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check of 23, (30 feet away, behind a door, whispering)

Skum Warblade listen: (1d20+7)[20]
    Skum Monk listen: (1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-23 at 09:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

One of the voices makes an abrupt sound, and the squelching footsteps move toward the door opposite the one you came in from. With a crash, the door is kicked in, and you are treated to the revolting sight of a revolting creature that appears to be part human and part fish, wearing something not unlike chainmail, and brandishing a long, cruel looking greatsword. Behind it is a similar creature, this one unarmed and unarmored.

Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kami: (1d20+2)[15]
    Lal: (1d20)[3]
    26: (1d20)[17]
    Takashi: (1d20+7)[21]
    Makuta: (1d20+1)[21]
    Armored Fish-man: (1d20+2)[21]
    Unarmored Fish-man: (1d20+3)[23]

Spot Checks against Lal's Hide
    Spoiler
    Show
    Armored Fish-man: (1d20+7)[8]
    Unarmored Fish-man: (1d20+9)[10]

Neither of the creatures appear to notice Lal hiding off to the side of the door that was just kicked in.

Initiative Order
    1. Unarmored Fish-man
    2. Takashi
    3. Armored Fish-man
    4. Makuta
    5. 26
    6. Kami
    7. Lal

The unarmored fish man runs forward past its companion and leaps toward 26, who is nearest to the door.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-23 at 10:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Grapple check:

Touch Attack (AC 15)
    (1d20+8)[28]

Grapple Check
    Fish-man: (1d20+8)[20]
    26: (1d20-1)[9]

Damage
    (1d6+7)[8]

The creature grabs hold of 26, forcing the Warforged to the ground and twisting a mechanical arm in a way that it was clearly not designed for. Gears grind inside 26's metal body.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-23 at 11:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Takashi quickly pulls his swords and steps between the second fishman and the rest of the room. "Kill the groper, I can hold this one off."

Spoiler
    Show
    Two move actions to draw swords (note to self, get quick draw), so no other actions right now.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Takashi quickly pulls his swords and steps between the second fishman and the rest of the room. "Kill the groper, I can hold this one off."

Spoiler
    Show
    Two move actions to draw swords (note to self, get quick draw), so no other actions right now.
    A cruel sneer crosses the creature's fish-like face, and it bellows something that might be the name of an attack in its gutteral language, bringing its sword over its head and down toward Takeshi with all the force it can muster.

Attack: (1d20+7)[9]

Damage: [roll]1d10+3d6+6[/roll] (overcomes DR and hardness)

(Bah, I did the second roll wrong somehow, but he didn't beat your AC anyway. Probably not the smartest idea to Power Attack for full on his part, but it wouldn't have mattered.)

The savage swing misses Takeshi. The tip of the sword rips into the grimy floor tile below as if it were made of paper before rising once more into the raised position of the fish man's battle stance.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-24 at 01:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Swift action: enter Punishing Stance)

Makuta whirled his fullblade into a ready position and set his feet in a rather peculiar way; it looked like it would leave him open to attack, but also let him put more power behind his swings.

"See, this is what I was expecting," he said rather flippantly as he stepped towards the grappling fish-man and warforged, a savage grin spreading across his face as he fell into a well-practiced strike.

"Sapphire Nightmare Blade!"

Spoiler
    Show
    SNB Concentration check: (1d20+12)[20]
    Attack: (1d20+9)[10]
    Stance damage: (1d6)[5]
    SNB bonus damage: (1d6)[4]
    Fullblade damage: [roll]2d8+6[/roll]
    Elemental Assault Crystal: +1 acid damage
    Last edited by Wahrheit; 2013-08-24 at 02:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

"Next time you swing your sword, please attempt to actually hit."

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifesting Astral Construct as a swift action thanks to Personal Construct ACF. Expending Psionic Focus.
    Concentration: (1d20+10)[28] vs DC 21
    Spending 5 PP to summon a 3rd level Astral Construct with Power Attack and Improved Slam Attack (Boost Construct feat).

Manifesting Vigor as a standard action.
    Concentration: (1d20+10)[21] vs DC 21
    Spending 5 PP for 25 temporary HP.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

The Karsite's Fullblade swing misses wildly, but through extraordinary concentration, 26 is able to maintain the mental focus needed to bring his powers to bear against the grappling fish-man, fortifying his body and bringing an Astral Construct into being beside the tangle of metal and scales, and swings furiously at its master's attacker.

Astral Construct's Slam:
    Attack: (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage: (1d8+9)[11]

As with the fullblade swing, the construct's fist misses the creature. Despite the attacks coming its way, the fish-man seems unwilling to release its quarry.

EDIT: (The extra rolls edited out were a bite/rake/rake grapple routine from Kung Fu Fishstick, but it's not his turn yet.)

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-24 at 03:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Kami stepped up and threw a vicious high roundhouse kick and followed through with a reversed sidekick form the momentum thrown at the Fish Man's mid section.

"If it's a fight you looking for try starting one with ME!" He called at the creature before stepping back about fifteen feet form it so that if it wanted to retaliate it would have to chase him.

(1d20+10)[21] First attack roll.

(1d6+5)[8] First damage roll.

(1d20+8)[17] Second attack roll.

(1d3+3)[4] Second damage roll.

The damage rolls assume of course that I hit.
    "I Burn!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lal swiftly emerged from the shadows, dashing past the tiefling and his foe. A blade extended from her forearm and sliced at the fishman as she passed.

The fishman swung at her, but hit only air. Lal twisted her arm and knocked the blade out of his hands, just barely managing to disarm him and toss the blade aside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiating Shadow Garrote, I get Sneak Attack damage because of my successful hide check. I provoke an AoO by moving through a threatened square and into a flanking position, and initiate a counter (Weapon Lock) to disarm him when he misses. I roll just barely high enough to make the check, one point lower and I would have failed.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2013-08-24 at 04:45 PM.
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

The fish-man gasps in surprise at the loss of its sword, then in pain as the shadowy threads of Lal's choking technique.

Meanwhile, despite facing increasingly deadly odds, the other fish man continues its attempts to break 26, tearing at the Warforged's body with tooth and claw.

(AC 17)

Bite:
    Attack: (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]

Rake1:
    Attack: (1d20)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]

Rake2:
    Attack: (1d20)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6]

The creatures powerful jaws are stymied by 26's armored body and protective psionics, but one claw does manage to leave a gash in his metallic torso.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2013-08-24 at 10:18 PM.