New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaceside

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Spaceside

Space.
    It’s big and… black. And full of… stuff.
    And just because it’s a bit out there, doesn’t mean that nothing happens!
    This thread is for space adventures, involving space ships, or alien planets, or intrepid explorers going boldly, or smugglers, rebellions fighting against oppressive empires (there’s a few to pick from), or all sorts of nonsense. It’s the final frontier, man! You don’t know what’s out there until you look.

Spoiler: Rules
    Show
    Standard FFRP rules apply. Don’t godmod, play nice, all that jazz.
    More specifically about this thread: It’s very open. I’m not against some larger ships running around, but…
    • Don’t destroy or seriously damage other people’s locations without working it out with them. Everyone, OOC, should be smiling as the station burns.
    • Please don’t be an IC bully with large spaceships. Sure, you could make a giant fleet and threaten that colony, but that’s not fun for the other person.
    • The above two are even more important when it comes to other threads. Sure, it is physically possible to drop a giant space rock on inside, but that’s just not fun for anyone. I’ll tell you right now that it will cause more OOC trouble than it will IC trouble, if you want to do it it should be worked out, ahead of time, with everyone involved. You may also want to post in the OOC thread to ensure people that this was agreed upon.

Locations: Like outside, feel free to make up locations on the fly. If you want to open a location to general use, then PM the current thread manager and ask them nicely to put your location in the OP.

Spoiler: Salmagundi Station
    Show
    Ran by: Lost_Deep
    Salmagundi is a large space station that looks like at least eight different space stations ran into each other and fused. Acting as a step between the main… mass of the Nexus and the great beyond, Salmagundi shares inside’s bizarre patchwork nature to some extent. Most things are available; a spacedock with repair and modification capabilities, cantinas (the Pulsar Pop is popular, and designed to maximize shady corners), stores where you can buy various wares of science fiction, a few places where you can stay for the night, and a lot of poorly-lit not-well-maintained corridors where the cameras don’t work well.

Getting to Salmagundi is easier than it sounds; there’s a few spaceports in inside that have relatively inexpensive shuttle services, most notably the skyway. There’s a few other spaceports in skyside, and there’s talk of building a space elevator up to the station from the flying city. Finally, for everyone else, the riftline goes up to it… somehow. Probably wormholes.

Consider Salmagundi a miniature inside, in space. You’re free to make locations here, long or short-term, and the construction varies wildly so most anyone can find a place. I’ll act as the station administration and law enforcement, but I’ll only but in if someone asks me to for the most part.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Spaceside

Salmagundi Station - Space Dock

What better place to find a spaceship than a space dock? Well, possibly a space factory, or a space battle...but that's besides the point.

Kote Atin had recently been warped to this Station, and he needed to have a ship before his companions arrived.
    The man had an imposing presence, dressed in light Mandalorian beskar'gam. The black armor hid its bearer well in the inky darkness of space, and the purple highlights only added to Atin's sinister appearance.

Obviously a capable warrior, the Mandalorian wore a sniper rifle slung along his back and a shortsword at his side.
    In case things got a bit too hairy, the warrior also had an attachment on his arm that would allow him to activate a personal ray shield.

If things all went according to plan, of course, Kote would be far away his target.

)(Interaction Wanted)(
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Salmagundi Station - Space Dock]

So is that what we're doing here?

Wandering around looking for someone selling a ship? Or is the warrior looking to charter? Because if he's looking to charter, that would probably be quite a bit easier. Actually buying a ship no doubt involves all sorts of legal nonsense unless you're the sort that doesn't mind doing things in a decidedly shady sort of fashion.

But chartering? Should one follow the signs, charter ships shouldn't be difficult to find at all!

Like that person right over there!

Hilariously enough, they seem to have set up an old fashioned sandwich board with rates written on them with a felt-pen. Why? Because sometimes low-tech solutions are just easier than the high-tech ones. And sitting next to the sign is someone quite a bit more technologically endowed than his bargain-basement sign.

An equestrian of the pegasus tribe, as it happens. An equestrian all suited up in a loose jacket and pants with ample room for his wings to stick through, wings that have been outfitted with ample cybernetic interface and augmentation implants. He's a minty green color with a loud neon-blue mane done up in anime spikes that require far more gel than is likely healthy. At the moment he's wearing a sensorium headset, bobbing his head and tapping a hoof to music only he can hear.

Does the Mandalor feel like dealing with a pony? Because if not, there are probably other people about with other ships.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #4

Salmagundi Station - Spaaaace Dock

Kote notices the pony with a raised eyebrow...not that anyone could tell, since a T-shaped visor covers the man's eyes.
    Unfortunately, he is looking to buy a ship, and there's no way of knowing if he'd take a shady deal or not. Unless you asked him, of course.

Still, the Mandalorian will head over to the pegasus, just in case he knows of any good dealers...of the ship variety.

I see you're in the ship business. Do you sell, or just work space buses?
    He's not trying to be unfriendly...he's just not trying to make friends.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station (Isn't that this entire thread?)-A dark corner
    ((What a great place to find bad guys willing to be evil, nefarious, and malicious.))

Filii sits in a chair in a chair in a dark corner next to a closed up shop. The corner is dark. Really dark. Like really dark. Like totally oh my gosh really dark like. I think you get the point. It is one of those dark corners that is just so dark only evil people and really really good paladins approach it. Like really really good paladins. Totally really like really... Never mind.

There is always a mysterious man in these corners. Usually, he is approached by evil people or really really good paladins who think he looks evil. And on a space station, Filii fells like evil people will be more common than really really good paladins.

One things is strange though. The mysterious person usually has a cloak and a hood over their face. Filii sat there wearing a full suit, complete with a tophat and a cane leaning against his chair. Strange attire for a space station, let alone a like totally oh my gosh really dark like corner.

((Interaction wanted!))
    ((By evil people))
    ((or really really good paladins))
    ((or anyone who wants to get involved with someone who sits in a dark corner next to a closed shop on a space station wearing a suit and topcoat))
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Salmagundi Space Dock

Others are indeed present! Such as the blue-skinned female Omwati with red, feathery 'hair' on her head. She's otherwise completely human in appearance, though fine-boned, large-eyed and attractive. She's wearing a loose green skirt that fades into translucency as it goes down her legs, ending just above her bare feet, and a sleeveless yellow top that reveals her belly. On her head is a peaked cap with the badge of the Galactic Empire and three long red feathers stuck into it. At her waist is a slender stiletto, but besides that she seems unarmed. A pair of battered labour droids built from the shells of B1 Battledroids and other mismatched pieces are wheeling carts piled with carts towards her berth as she watches.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7

((This thread is for any space-stuff. Salmagundi is just one location here.))

Is there a Nexus version of Craig's List? That would probably be a good place to check for space ships. Although it would also be a lot less exciting than making a shady deal (and possibly getting into a blaster fight) for one.

Regardless, the head-bobbing stops and the pegasus' visor peels back, folding into itself and revealing the equine alien's large amber-colored eyes.

He looks hurt.

But it an over the top, over dramatic and clearly faux sort of emotional distress.

"Space buses? SPACE buses? Oh man, you wound me. WOUND me! Someone call medical, I'm suffering ego trauma!" he bewails, apparently not at all intimidated by the Mandalor's presence. "I move goods and people, man. People gotta go places, stuffs gotta go places. And I get 'em there, no questions asked. It's a thankless job, maybe, but somepony's got to do it. Heh, my bird's not for sale, though, if that's what you're askin'. But you're in the market, huh? Just so happens I know a few suppliers, depending on whether you want a bucket or a bird. And, heh, depending on who you want knowin' about your transactions."

8. - Top - End - #8

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm sure you're heart broken... You can practically feel the warrior's eyes roll. Sure, he found the pony's antics amusing, but he can't let anyone know that.

I'm looking for a ship that can be piloted by just one person if necessary, can seat three to five passengers, and has enough room in the back for...cargo...
    And it'll need decent weapons on it. I don't care who it's from as long as the bird flies.

Know anybody with those specs, Hos?
    Kote asks, tapping the side of his helmet.

The Mando glances at the Omwati, following her with his peripherals. S'been awhile since he's seen one of those. Good use of droids, too.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

The 'hos' comment gets a slight glower, but that passes quickly.

"Yeah, there are a few. Ivan's Deathtrap Dealership is great if you want a little excitement in your ride," the pegasus laughs. "But at least he's honest about selling deathtraps, y'know? If you want something a little less lethal give Heir'ri's place a shot. He knows how to cut a good deal."

Well!

Looks like the Mandalor just got some useful information for free.

Isn't that keen?

"And hey, if ever need something transported for you with a bit of deniability on the side? You know who to call."

That would be him, obviously. You call the pony smuggler and he'll smuggle your goods.

10. - Top - End - #10

Kote nods understandingly.
    I try to keep myself and my crew in one piece, so I'll pay Heir'ri a visit.
    Thank you for your time.

Knowing a smuggler was always handy, in his experience.

If you ever need to get in touch with me, I'm Kote Atin...the very least he can do is offer his name, right?

Heir'ri's Place

Finally, he'd found the shop amongst all the bustle of the active space dock.
    Maybe Atin would find a half decent piece of scrap to fix up. He had the money for it.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heir'ri's Place

Heir'ri turns out to be a... odd, white-faced thing.

((Like one of these, but in less ornate clothing. Yes, they're wearing clothes.))

"Hello? Who are you? You look like you want weapons. Particle acceleration, proton, electron, meson, boson. Make your request. If I don't have it, I can likely get it. Or invent it."

12. - Top - End - #12

Heir'ri's Place

Name's Kote Atin, and I need a ship.
    Something that can carry three to five passengers easily enough, with room for cargo in the back...

Guns are a necessity, and if the ship could be piloted by a single person, that would be ideal.

The Mandalorian doesn't bother to take off his helmet. He's too busy scanning the Heir'ri to see what kind of creature he is...
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heir'ri's Place

If that helmet has been updated for the Nexus, it will come out that Heir'ri is a sophon. If it's trying to work on the database from the universe that the mandalorian is from, it won't find a match.

"Small shuttle, armed. Or, a large fighter? Defended freighter? Details. How does this sound: minimum crew 1, up to 2 gunners, three laser cannons, light turbolaser, two missile tubes, up to ten passengers, passenger space can be converted to cargo space. 30 meters long. Too large?"

14. - Top - End - #14

Heir'ri's Place

His helmet isn't fully updated to the Nexus, but it can pull data from nearby sources, so if there's any information on the sophon, Kote will get it.

Regardless, at this point the Mandalorian is well aware that he's in an unfamiliar part of space...and he's traveled quite a bit in his day.
    Still, he can't believe his luck. The ship sounds perfect for what he wants.

That might work. I'll need to see it, and you'll have to prove that everything is in working order. I don't want laser cannons with no charge, understand?
    He'll also have to see how closed off the cargo section is. Wouldn't want anything unsavory to have free reign, would we?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heir'ri's Place

"Mhm, very well, this way."

Heri will lead down a hall, and then opens a door. Inside is something that may seem familiar.

"I have an inspection document for it, it came out clean if used. It is currently configured for passengers, but I can re-configure some or all the passenger berths."

16. - Top - End - #16

Heir'ri's Place

The helmet bobs up and down in the traditional sign of approval.
    Now this is a ship I recognize.

I don't think I'll ever need ten passengers, so if you could refit four berths into something more...secure, that would be for the best. Something that can be locked from the outside, if you get my meaning.

There's no telling what kind of jobs I'll get here, and I don't want my own ship hijacked.

Now Kote's sweeping the ship for bugs and other tracking devices. Wouldn't want anyone keeping tabs on him now, would we?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heir'ri's Place

"Why do so many other races insist on using double-talk? Yes, yes, let me get an estimate."

There's no bugs or tacking devices on the ship, and it all looks fairly solid. The price the alien quotes is not bad, for a refurbished light military craft.

18. - Top - End - #18

Heir'ri's Place

Perfect. Kote fishes the proper amount out of his satchel.

We use "double-talk" so that unfriendly ears won't easily know what we're up to. That's the idea, at least.
    No telling if it works or not...

Now, this ship would leave the Mando a bit tighter for cash than he was expecting...but there should be plenty of ways to make money out here.
    Alright, where do I sign?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heir'ri's Place

"There." the sophon points a line out. Blah, whatever systems are in the area aren't letting the visor at their info. "The refit will be finished by noon tomorrow."

20. - Top - End - #20

Heir'ri's Place

Atin signs his name. No flourishes...just eight letters.

Here's half now. You'll get the rest when the ship is done. He holds out the credits.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heir'ri's Place

"Of course, of course, I'll get it done. See you then."

Heir'ri will then leave Atin to leave. Not terribly polite, but he does have things to do.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Two locationy things, mostly because they've been there for a while and it's probably not a bad idea to have them visible somewhere.

[Skysight Station]

A space station launched into orbit by the Empire years ago, little is known about the current state of Skysight Station. While not a large orbital habitat station, it sported facilities to support its pair of drone defense fighters and it was often noted that its size didn't match the profile of Imperial tech and the claimed purpose of an orbital early warning platform. Indeed, it seemed to be larger than its claimed purpose would indicate, but the Imperial successor factions have never budged on their story.

Five main events form the station's known history: Its launch, the fall of the Empire, and three other shifts reported by various individuals with orbital monitoring capability.

Initially, as the station was first launched, the drone fighters buzzed about it, keeping anyone from approaching. They were both docked at the time of the Empire's fall, and were not seen again for some time, the station evidently floating abandoned for some time.

Then, power readings from the station spiked, and the fighters returned to their vigil, except those who dared to venture near were not warned at all, merely obliterated, and survivors reported that the craft bore alterations from their previous design, notably odd, irregular black plating and unusual green plasma weapons in the place of their laser weapons. The Imperial successors denied responsibility, indicating that they were no longer in control of the station. This continued for a time before it suddenly stopped, though no one at the time dared to investigate.

Most recently, and as attentive observers have noted, not long after the Altaran Irregulars' reclamation of the Imperial mountain base now called Fortress Haven, activity has returned to the style of the Imperials, though the fighters have retained their alterations. The new management has refused to identify themselves, but have confirmed in the drones' warning messages that they most certainly are not those who took over following the Empire's fall.

The drone fighters continue to refuse to allow anyone onto the station to this day.

[UDN Orbital Array]

An orbital scanner and telescope array launched by the Altaran Irregulars, with the stated purpose of providing long-range information on potential threats from space. The array has, however, drawn criticism and claims of it being an orbital spying system in disguise, claims that the Union refuses to verify as true.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

A bit of a place.

[Wrath Spaceside Telescope]

An orbital scanner and telescope array launched by the the Flemish Defense Force(?), with the unstated purpose of astronomy. The array has drawn no criticism or even attention since it was launched years ago in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, since it does nothing but passively look outward from the Nexus, relaying information about the stars down to Skyside.

A response to a scene.

[Salmagundi Station - A dark corner]

To some, the dark is comforting. This whole station is a refuge from all the excessive daylight and florescent beams one finds at the other Riftline stops. The visitor isn't bothered by the darkness of the corner, though she moves as though she is. Slow, careful steps, one hand along the wall, now rattling the metal cover of the closed-up shop.
    "Interesting place to find someone so at rest."
    A high-pitched human voice, bright and cheery, spoken from beneath a broad cone-shaped straw hat. An umbrella rests over her other shoulder, curious, given how it won't rain here, that's pretty much assured. Jeans, T-shirt, tennis shoes. This could be any high-school kid from Hodgepodge street.

And a thing to be interacted with, for anyone who cares to look.

[Wreck]

Drifting along. An old, crumbling monument of metal, colossal, beautiful, clearly ruined. Three huge gashes mark where something physically tore open the side of the ship. Any air and items that could escape have done so, bits of wreckage have drifted away. The ship is out away from inhabited stations, away from the orbit of the nexus, slowly turning, never quite getting anywhere. Engines, torn away. Communication towers, likewise. Structural integrity, pretty okay. Hopefully.
    It's been here for years, but from the heat and electricity patterns, it's still doing...something.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2015-02-28 at 04:49 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-A Dark Corner

Filii raises an eyebrow at the girl's clothes, but he isn't one to talk. He rises, leaning on his cane.
    What's wrong with resting in a dark corner. No one to disturb you, and no one to hunt you for your crimes. What are you doing here?
    His voice is calm, as though there is nothing strange about the current situation.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

"It's daytime on the top of the station. Hurts my eyes, but half the shutter controls are broken, ya know?"
    She smiles, showing bright straight teeth. Rather sharp.
    "It's nicer down here. You've got crimes to be hunted for? Run rather a long way, haven't you?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmugandi Station-A Dark Corner

Filii smiles at the obvious lack of aggressiveness against his crimes.
    Well, that's only part of it. I was also sent on a mission by an Org I belong to. Off to recruit new members. We are running a little low on members. Even if you aren't looking for an org to join, you could help me.
    Filii smiles kindly, like he is helping a lost kid get home.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Well, she doesn't know what those crimes are. Maybe he murders and eats children. Maybe he's a carjacker. Maybe he illegally copies music. Maybe he runs a football betting pool that's slightly larger than Union regulations allow without a casino license. Carmen isn't going to judge without more information.
    "What sort of people are you looking for?"
    Carmen sets her right hand on her hip, skeptical.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck

A craft approaches! It's a Lambda-class Imperial shuttle painted dark purple, with gold lettering on the wings spelling out Wings of Silence. It will circle around the wrecked ship, scanning it for any areas where atmosphere has survived, and looking for somewhere it can safely dock. If one isn't available, it shall land on the external surface near one of the rifts in the metal.

29. - Top - End - #29

[Wreck]

Atmosphere seems to have been retained around what seems to be the port side of the ship, opposite the tears, and it much of the core, though not extending all the way to the stern.
    There's a depressurized landing bay on the lower rear area, in front of the wrecked engines but not in the maintained area. It sits surrounded by silent weapon pods, not fired or maintained in quite a while. Red lights blink on when the shuttle passes nearby, and flicker off a few moments later.
    Or they could try landing on the inner bridge at the very bow, its transparent shell shattered like a great shark took a bite out of it, and then broken away in a thousand tinier injuries until there's a flat extended space where one might fit a shuttle.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck

The ship will choose to land in the docking bay, since it at least is designed for it... Though the pilot makes a note of the bridge; if the route is blocked from here, that may prove a better version.

After landing, three figures descend the access ramp from the airlock. One is humanoid, wearing a dark blue space-suit with a clear transparisteel visor, revealing the delicate and attractive blue-skinned face of a female Omwati. Strapped over the space-suit is a bandoleer with a blaster pistol, hand-held vibro-axe and various other tools and pieces of equipment in the pockets, and she pulls a metal hand-cart with four wheels. Following her are a pair of mismatched droids; originally B1 Battle Droids, they've been repaired and maintained with spares from several other droids, then painted with a digital camouflage pattern; one purple and one yellow. Each carries a blaster rifle, though they are of different designs. "Broken, Scrap, stay here. Guard the ship."
    "Roger roger."

The Omwati pilot is looking at the landing bay for anything that may seem useful, valuable or interesting; since it is a docking bay, she is hoping for spare parts, tools or even a small ship.