New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: SW Saga Edition Thread 2: The Sith Lords

The Force Immunity trait doesn't really do anything for a droid, since the trait only blocks Force powers that target Will, the bulk of which have the [Mind-Affecting] tag, to which droids are already immune. So he'd be trading his Force Points for immunity to, what, 5 Force powers, if even that?
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Saga House Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Deadtissue View Post
    What other house rules are out there that add to the game?
    Well, I completely did away with classes...
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-12-01 at 08:27 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Stone View Post
    Amateur GM here, guys, and having a huge dilenma:

My player's party is formed by a keldorian jedi consular, a human jedi guardian, a lurmen engineer/pilot (noble and rogue) and a replicant (droid who looks and feel like a human) soldier.

Everything looks fine in the party, the Force users are playing around whit the mystic side of the story and stuff about siths and ancient story; the lurmen is feeling great piloting mechs and custom droids and always being the "party monkey" (no pun intended... really XD) and the soldier is, apparently, enjoying being like Terminator in space. Or, at least, that it what I thought.

There are some hostilities between the non-Force users and the Force-users. I am afraid they feel like second-class characters in front of the jedis, even when I totally banned stuff like "Focus Use of the Force" for balance issues. In the case of the engineer, he just shrugs and enjoy the mech and space-ship stuff. The soldier, however, in spite the fact I throw at him crazy persecutions, brawl fights and situations which dangerously looks like The Mercenaries' films, still looks with envy those jedis because "they could have done it better with their ****ing powers."

In the case of the jedis, the consular is just sitting quietly in the back-seat, trying to rely only on his persuasion and diplomacy checks instead of Force powers... at least, until someone shoot a blaster. In that case, the agressor is utterly damned. And, on the other hand, the guardian is just trying to being some kind of Anakin Skywalker (you know, the kind of players who wants to hang on the edge between light side and dark side).

Well, the real problem came when the consular learned Force's Light. On the table, I made a joke about the consular making a TPK by accident in the case he activates it in by accident. Almost every players except the consular has a Dark Side point already, by accepting Dark Side's temptations at least once. The soldier's player just laughed because he could be surely the only survivor of that... Smile which got erased when I told him he would be surely affected too.

And this is how **** hitted the fan.

He is blaming me that, since he is a droid (actually, a replicant ala Blade Runner), he shouldn't have any dark side points and not being affected by any Force-power except the ones based on telekinesis because he isn't alive. I find it funny because he asked me to play a replicant because he wanted to roleplay a droid which didn't feel like a mere objetc (in other words, he can express feels).

After this wall of text, my questions:

1.- Does replicant and hero droids have Dark Side points. From my experience from KotOR, HK-47 was practically an example about a Dark Side sentient droid but, maybe there are special rules for droid heroes about that.

2.- Should I accept the soldier's request of making him such "Force isolated"? In that case, which measurements should I take (making him spend a feat, avoiding him to use Force points, etc).

3.- How can I deal with that "Second Class Character" feel the no-Force users have? I mean, I tried to make everyone has their spotlight and area of joy (consular---> Politics, Guardian---> Duel of the Fates again and again, lurmen--->mechs and ships all the way, soldier---->Action ****). But they still feel like that. When hanging out in a pub after a session, the lurmen's player even congratulated me for making him enjoy greatly the game even when he is not a jedi but... Damn, I don't want to be congratulated, I want to make them feel heroes, not second-class NPCs which hangs out with the jedi main characters.

(Funny enough, I didn't force anyone to play another class if they wanted to play jedi)

Thank you for reading all this wall of text =P
    Quick question: Which edition of the rules are you using? WotC put out three different versions of Star Wars RPG rules: SWd20, SWd20 Revised Core Rules (aka RCR), and Star Wars Saga Edition (aka SAGA or SWSE).

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Thanks to those of you who suggested some new house rules. Good Stuff.

The classless system looks interesting and would allow you to achieve a build more quickly, does anyone else use it beside Mr. Hall?

I would worry that my players would all end up very similar as the tend to optimize a fair bit and this lends itself to everyone cherry picking the best talents/feats, is this a potential worry with the classless system?

Another question if I remove the Jedi class/Jedi prestige classes from the game but allow them to get force sensitivity and UtF Skill will that limit the impact of the force powers on the game and reduce the power level difference between force users and non-force users?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Look again at the Jedi class, notice, not a lot of the talents in the class are really about buffing up your force abilities. Most of them are about talking to people or fighting with a lightsaber. The Force Talents (which can be taken by any class, so long as the character has the Force Sensitivity feat) are really what buffs up force users.

One of the awesome things about SWSE, is that if your players know what they're doing all roughly equally the classes balance out by level 8 or so. Unfortunately at very high levels (roughly level 17+) the Force Mage builds are actually becoming a bit weaker than otherwise because of how Defenses scale.

So no, I wouldn't get rid of the Jedi, I don't think it will impact balance. Just tell your force using players to not be jackasses, and don't let them get un-modified Skill Focus (Use the Force). My scaling houserule works, or simply don't let them get it until mid levels, and you should be fine.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Dienekes,

My thought was that the Lightsaber access combined with the force powers and prestige class options was what caused them to be better than the non-force users. By taking away the Jedi class and forcing them to find training for the use and manufacture of the lightsaber I could better manage the power level of them.

Also for campaign reasons I wanted to remove Jedi from the game in general as I want to run it in the Dark Times centered around the Corporate Sector (still need to check on the timeline for that but thats my initial plan). Force users are not trained and need to keep a low profile due to the jedi being hunted down and the sith looking for recruits.

I do not think my group would try to break the game but they would certainly want access to the classic "Jedi" powers if they made a Jedi. By removing the class I think they would be more open to some of the other less typical powers and therefore more balanced approach.

Anyway thanks for the insight, you are of course correct removing the Jedi class will likely not lower the power of the force as I had hoped.

Thanks.

7. - Top - End - #517

Quote Originally Posted by Deadtissue View Post
    Thanks to those of you who suggested some new house rules. Good Stuff.

The classless system looks interesting and would allow you to achieve a build more quickly, does anyone else use it beside Mr. Hall?

I would worry that my players would all end up very similar as the tend to optimize a fair bit and this lends itself to everyone cherry picking the best talents/feats, is this a potential worry with the classless system?

Another question if I remove the Jedi class/Jedi prestige classes from the game but allow them to get force sensitivity and UtF Skill will that limit the impact of the force powers on the game and reduce the power level difference between force users and non-force users?
    I don't use Mr. Hall's classless system but I do very much like it, and would consider it if I was running more often than I do.

Removing the Jedi class is actually a really interesting way to go. I mean, as others have said, all it really is is feat tax for the players who want to play a traditional-style jedi (since they now just have to go straight soldier and buy FS and WP:Lightsabers manually), but that feat tax will limit their options; it's unlikely you could build an effective 'jedi' with both powers and good saber skills that way.

My question is; what do you really want to achieve? Balance? This is basically solved by limiting Skill Focus access in some way. Theme and flavour? For this, no matter what rules you introduce, the only way of guaranteeing is by talking to your players about what sort of game you want to run and making sure they are on the same page as you regarding what themes of Star Wars you want to bring out.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Had a somewhat unpleasant argument with ny group last night over the fighters they were buying. The party's pilot wanted R-22 Spearheads as an alternative to the A-wings that I told him he couldn't buy under any circumstances even if he waited until the Alliance introduced them. Since there were no official stats, I made my own by down-grading the A-wing.

The problem came in when the droid's player insisted that, because the R-22 was a "stripped-down" A-wing, they should get the emplacement points from the missing hyperdrive and missile tubes.

While I eventually settled the argument, it occurs to me that it would have been much easier if I'd been using someone else's R-22 design in the first place. Is there a good resource for canon ships that WotC left out?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Quick question: Which edition of the rules are you using? WotC put out three different versions of Star Wars RPG rules: SWd20, SWd20 Revised Core Rules (aka RCR), and Star Wars Saga Edition (aka SAGA or SWSE).
    Star Wars Saga Edition, I didn't like SWd20 Revised (too restrictive about classes and concepts in my opinion).

And, Gnoman, this is a little secret I am not really proud but, usually, when I don't find any stats for something, just copy-paste from another thing. Just take that A-wing, strip down, and put a little enhancement on those free slots. Then, put a blue ribbon and a "NEW 'N' TASTY" without saying a word and they will fall on the trap, enjoying it. Sometimes, players don't want a X-Wing because of the min/max fever, they want it because the aesthetics and the fluff and lore. Give them that, so.

Fun fact, the first two siths the jedis of my party faced had, in fact, their same character sheet. I just switched types of lightsaber and two power to avoid making too obvious.

I am not lazy, I just didn't expected them to fight siths that day...

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've been thinking of getting back in to Saga Edition again. A quick question, though; What did the Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Galaxy of Intrigue, Unknown regions, and Scavenger's guide to droids add that the other books (which I own) didn't? I'm thinking big stuff, not minor feats, for the record.

Also, what would you think of a house rule allowing soldiers to trade heavy and medium armor proficiency for proficiency in their choice of heavy weapons or advanced melee weapons?

hmm... A thought occurs to me. On the topic of removing the jedi class; perhaps if it was possible to trade proficiency in rifles (or pistols, if the jedi started as a scoundrel or noble) for weapon proficiency (lightsabers)? That would make Force sensitivity the only feat tax for Jedi, putting them in pretty much the same boat as any other force user (Then again, other force traditions with their own special weapons don't get that option. Of course, it's Jedi, after all). Plus, moving the jedi talent trees into the force talents would get rid of the feeling I've always had that Jedi get screwed over with regards to trained skills.

EDIT: Another question; While I like the feel of the system of giving the players two force points per session, with another force point available if they gain a dark side point, how do you and your players handle the roleplaying consequences of such an action?
    Last edited by Squark; 2013-12-02 at 12:31 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

11. - Top - End - #521
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    I've been thinking of getting back in to Saga Edition again. A quick question, though; What did the Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Galaxy of Intrigue, Unknown regions, and Scavenger's guide to droids add that the other books (which I own) didn't? I'm thinking big stuff, not minor feats, for the record.

Also, what would you think of a house rule allowing soldiers to trade heavy and medium armor proficiency for proficiency in their choice of heavy weapons or advanced melee weapons?
    They don't start with Heavy armor proficiency... additionally heavy weapons are genreally more powerfull than other choices, so giving them acces to that for "free" might not be that good an idea, but advanced melee weapons, sure, that could work.
    hmm... A thought occurs to me. On the topic of removing the jedi class; perhaps if it was possible to trade proficiency in rifles (or pistols, if the jedi started as a scoundrel or noble) for weapon proficiency (lightsabers)? That would make Force sensitivity the only feat tax for Jedi, putting them in pretty much the same boat as any other force user (Then again, other force traditions with their own special weapons don't get that option. Of course, it's Jedi, after all). Plus, moving the jedi talent trees into the force talents would get rid of the feeling I've always had that Jedi get screwed over with regards to trained skills.
    If you do that most force users can't use force powers at level 1... (and keep in mind that the Jedi class isn't restricted to the jedi concept)

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, force adepts from traditions that don't fit the jedi class (Anything apart from Jensaari, Sith, and Iron Knights, really) are in the same boat, although I can understand wanting to keep Jedi and their closely related traditions "special".

Couple of other questions;

-How much of a concern is ammo capacity? For instance, a heavy blaster rifle with a pulse charger is doing 3d12+3 damage in the hands of a character with the riflemaster feat, but you've only got 15 shots in a clip. How often is autofire going to be something I want to do with it (especially if I stuck a grenade launcher on the bottom of the gun)?
    -In a related question, does the pulse charger's damage bonus increase if you're using the weapon with the rapid shot or burst fire feats, since the damage bonus is based on the number of damage dice the weapon rolls)? This might be covered in an FAQ or errata, but I don't know if Scum and Villainy every got one.
    -While I love the personal modifications talent as a concept, is it worth the dip into scoundrel for a gun-tinkering soldier from a mechanics point of view (it does cost my first standard action in a fight, after all)?
    -Can anyone tell me how the followers system from the Clone Wars campaign guide works in practice? As in, does it work reasonably well for representing a sidekick, or does it lend itself to frustration?
    Last edited by Squark; 2013-12-02 at 02:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

*suddenly, Hyena breaks into a thread, completely ignoring an already existing conversation in favor of his own interests*
    *sadface* Are there any european DMs willing to do a skype game?
    Last edited by Hyena; 2013-12-02 at 02:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

-How much of a concern is ammo capacity? For instance, a heavy blaster rifle with a pulse charger is doing 3d12+3 damage in the hands of a character with the riflemaster feat, but you've only got 15 shots in a clip. How often is autofire going to be something I want to do with it (especially if I stuck a grenade launcher on the bottom of the gun)?
    -In a related question, does the pulse charger's damage bonus increase if you're using the weapon with the rapid shot or burst fire feats, since the damage bonus is based on the number of damage dice the weapon rolls)? This might be covered in an FAQ or errata, but I don't know if Scum and Villainy every got one.
    -While I love the personal modifications talent as a concept, is it worth the dip into scoundrel for a gun-tinkering soldier from a mechanics point of view (it does cost my first standard action in a fight, after all)?
    -Can anyone tell me how the followers system from the Clone Wars campaign guide works in practice? As in, does it work reasonably well for representing a sidekick, or does it lend itself to frustration?
    If you can't kill it with that many shots, you were not meant to kill it. Ammo rarely comes up except for things like missiles and rockets and such.

There is no errata on pulse chargers. So, the extra damage is applied to extra dice from, say, Rapid Shot. However, the attack roll penalties from the charger and Rapid Shot, etc, stack.

You can't hurt from dipping into a class, especially if you gain a defense bonus or new starting feat from doing so (or a new trained skill, if your DM uses that houserule.)

As a GM I usually do not use such systems, as I have enough to keep track of as it is.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I am 50/50. It depends on if your players are going to abuse the house rule to create optimized Melee Duelists or Elite Troopers. How much do your players try to screw you and get away with? If they are not that type, I'd be fine with advanced melee, but not heavy weapons. Remember that gives proficiency in all starship guns, too.

16. - Top - End - #526

DruidGuy

Can anyone tell me how the followers system from the Clone Wars campaign guide works in practice?
    The most polite way of answering this question involves words "it sucks". Seriously - the followers are pretty much useless, and to add insult to injury, you need to sacrifice your actions to make them... do anything, actually. You are better off shooting enemy to death yourself - and spending that talent on something more worthy.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Stone View Post
    Star Wars Saga Edition, I didn't like SWd20 Revised (too restrictive about classes and concepts in my opinion).

And, Gnoman, this is a little secret I am not really proud but, usually, when I don't find any stats for something, just copy-paste from another thing. Just take that A-wing, strip down, and put a little enhancement on those free slots. Then, put a blue ribbon and a "NEW 'N' TASTY" without saying a word and they will fall on the trap, enjoying it. Sometimes, players don't want a X-Wing because of the min/max fever, they want it because the aesthetics and the fluff and lore. Give them that, so.

Fun fact, the first two siths the jedis of my party faced had, in fact, their same character sheet. I just switched types of lightsaber and two power to avoid making too obvious.

I am not lazy, I just didn't expected them to fight siths that day...
    Jarred, if I missed it, I apologize, but you left out an important detail: What are the levels of the PCs?

18. - Top - End - #528

RangerGuy

Can I get some advice?

My friend is homebrewing a cocktail of D20 Modern and the Revised Star Wars Roleplaying Game. Basically he is going to have us take D20 Moden base classes first before taking Star Wars classes as a sort of prestige class.
    He isn’t finished with it but I’m trying to lay out an early plan for Feat distribution, assuming three levels of Fast Hero and three as a Jedi Guardian, the goal being to create a Dex-based Defense monster.

If one assumes Dexterity 18 (I’m going with a Cathar), that’s Defense 14.
    Then ...

1: Martial Arts as my first level feat.
    2: Defensive Martial Arts as my Fast Hero second level Bonus Feat (+2 to Defense).
    3: Heroic Surge as my third level Feat (as a trump card for sticky situations)
    +4 to Defense as a third level Fast Hero.
    *Switch to Jedi Guardian*
    4: Get Deflect as a 1st level JG (+1 Defense)
    5: Weapon Finesse as my JG Bonus Feat.
    6: Either Combat Expertise as my third level feat (up to +5 in defense in exchange for an equal penalty to attack), or Lightsaber Defense for a +2 to Defense.
    +4 to Defense as a third level Jedi Guardian.

So that’s either a Defense score of 27 or 25-30 depending on my sixth level Feat.
    Did I miss something in the rules? Isn’t this a decent enough build?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Couple of other questions;

1. Note that the Improved Energy Cell was updated to take only one slot. If you're worried about running out of ammo, strip the stun setting.
    2. The Pulse Charger wasn't touched by the update/errata. Run it by the GM before trying to get the bonus off of Rapid Shot/Burst Fire.
    3. In my opinion, no, it's not worth it. Tech Specialist and gear upgrades functionally represent personalization better than spending a turn tuning your gun every fight.
    4. Followers are a very talent-dependent way of becoming a minion master, unless you like sacrificing your own actions for those of a less competent ally. For more competent minions (that act of their own accord and are still less competent than another hero), the Crime Lord's Attract Minion talent is better, but the Follower system is overall simpler and available at an earlier level.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So... It occurs to me we could use a link to a compilation of the errata, web enhancements, and the like somewhere on the front page, since some of the first things to pop up on google link to defunct sites (plus, if such a link isn't present in the OP, it's not going to stop people from asking for links to the errata anyway). I eventually managed to find this, which contains basically everything Wizards ever put out on their sight for Star Wars Saga Edition apart from Dawn of Defiance. (Including previews of the system, their FAQ article, and previews for miniatures releases from after Saga was released, since they also contained stat blocks for the minis (some of which might be worth raiding). I also found A non-broken link to a download for the Dawn of Defiance stuff in the same thread.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So... It occurs to me we could use a link to a compilation of the errata, web enhancements, and the like somewhere on the front page, since some of the first things to pop up on google link to defunct sites (plus, if such a link isn't present in the OP, it's not going to stop people from asking for links to the errata anyway). I eventually managed to find this, which contains basically everything Wizards ever put out on their sight for Star Wars Saga Edition apart from Dawn of Defiance. (Including previews of the system, their FAQ article, and previews for miniatures releases from after Saga was released, since they also contained stat blocks for the minis (some of which might be worth raiding). I also found A non-broken link to a download for the Dawn of Defiance stuff in the same thread.
    Squark, PM me an email address and I will send you a great errata and master index file.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

FWIW, I don't care about ammo in Star Wars. No one in the movies reloads or declares "I'm out." Lightsabers can output tremendous power, and can do it after years of sitting in a drawer. I prefer to handwave it as "You have enough power, unless you purposefully blow up your power packs."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    FWIW, I don't care about ammo in Star Wars. No one in the movies reloads or declares "I'm out." Lightsabers can output tremendous power, and can do it after years of sitting in a drawer. I prefer to handwave it as "You have enough power, unless you purposefully blow up your power packs."
    True. It just seems like the developers did seem to have used ammo capacity as a balancing mechanic (a high powered blaster rifle like the one I described will need to reload much more frequently if you're firing in auto-fire compared to just a normal blaster rifle). On the other hand, the guy with said blaster rifle has blown a fair amount of resources into becoming a killing machine, so maybe the opportunity cost is enough.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Use the monthly lifestyle upkeep rules. Ammo is part of the cost for a warrior (IMO.)

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

It's not the cost that's an issue, really (that you can just ignore after you get a power charger), it's the action of reloading that I'm mentioning (Where are the monthly upkeep rules, by the way? I don't recall ever seeing them).

Also, am I correct in assuming that I should warn new players away from droids, since picking systems or a model is yet another challenge, and some of the droid models are, well, traps?

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's not the cost that's an issue, really (that you can just ignore after you get a power charger), it's the action of reloading that I'm mentioning (Where are the monthly upkeep rules, by the way? I don't recall ever seeing them).

Also, am I correct in assuming that I should warn new players away from droids, since picking systems or a model is yet another challenge, and some of the droid models are, well, traps?
    Look at page 141 of the main book. There's different levels of monthly expense. I have each of my PCs pay monthly, and what they paid dictates how they can present themselves that month (their clothing fashion, food and drink budget, general expenses, living space, and so on.) In the game I play in, my Jedi pays 500 a month for the Struggling grade, not because he is struggling financially (far from it) he just chooses to live simply, like a monk, and a lot of his money goes elsewhere.

In the Starships book, they have a 2000 cr per month upkeep fee for a starship. Payable by the owner, and it keeps the ship in fuel, consumables, docking fees, replacement filters, and all the basic costs involved, so the PCs no longer have to track them during play. It also, by the way, covers the captain's living expenses, if he lives on the ship like Han Solo.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally posted by IdleMuse:

My question is; what do you really want to achieve? Balance? This is basically solved by limiting Skill Focus access in some way. Theme and flavour? For this, no matter what rules you introduce, the only way of guaranteeing is by talking to your players about what sort of game you want to run and making sure they are on the same page as you regarding what themes of Star Wars you want to bring out.

I am trying to do a little of both: 1) limit the abilities of force users to keep them inline with the other classes and 2) Remove "Jedi" from the campaign as an organization.

I realize that the Jedi class is not restricted to the Jedi brand of force user but I think the players see it as such and if I remove it they will build thier own force tradition as they have to train themselves despite the feat tax.

You did answer my question with your post though I will restrict the Skill Focus UtF and remove Jedi as a starting class perhaps making it available if anyone seeks out a Jedi or other tradition to train them formally and leave it at that.
    Last edited by Deadtissue; 2013-12-03 at 07:44 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally posted by Squark:

My group used a modified version of the follower system from the Clone Wars Campaign and it worked well for non-combative characters. Our engineer and party face would use thier actions to command our battle droids. This allowed them to take a more active meaningful role in combat.

By enforcing this system the engineer and face essential to the fights as our combat oriented characters were free to use thier actions for curb stomping our foes while the droids were commanded to aid them or lay down suppresion fire.

Using it for anything else though would not be great and I do not think it was meant for sidekicks so much as party purchased mooks!
    Last edited by Deadtissue; 2013-12-03 at 09:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #539

Legacy Era: Nothing really. A bunch of handy statlines (speeder bikes I've used), but it's basically just a feat+PrC+talents source.

Galaxy of Intrigue: Adds Skill Challenges which are a structured way of doing skill-based encounters over time (such as podraces). Also a bunch of stuff for intrigue campaigns, including writeups for many underground organisations. Also has some really nice intriguey prewritten scenarios.

Unknown Regions: Umm, you're not missing much here. It's got the rules for generic Near-Humans, a fair bit of useful extra equipment, standard chunk of talents etc. Its main big thing is Hazards, which are basically just statlines for environmental hazards like blizzards, rockslides, quicksand, electric fences, lava flows, and so forth. There's a lot of them so they're very handy for ad hoc GMing. There's also a planet generator (again, useful for on-the-fly GMing) and rules for mounts... wooo...

Scavengers guide: It adds loads and loads more droid models, with loads and loads of story hooks to work plotlines around them. Personally I feel that droids are one thing that makes Star Wars feel like Star Wars so I try to sprinkle them in liberally. As well as being Starships of the Galaxy for droids, this book also has some rules which make it quicker and simpler for players to play as droids than the systems presented in the core book; representing basic types of droid as 'races' with a starting package of equipment and stat modifiers/feats. Even for experienced players, this is often still the best way of playing a droid, so it gets a thumbs-up from me.

I've always thought it odd that Soldiers don't have an option to start with Adv. Melee prof. As others have said, Heavy Weapons prof should probably be left as a feat tax.

I might consider letting Soldiers trade in Rifle proficiency for Adv. Melee in my games.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IdleMuse View Post
    Legacy Era: Nothing really. A bunch of handy statlines (speeder bikes I've used), but it's basically just a feat+PrC+talents source.

Galaxy of Intrigue: Adds Skill Challenges which are a structured way of doing skill-based encounters over time (such as podraces). Also a bunch of stuff for intrigue campaigns, including writeups for many underground organisations. Also has some really nice intriguey prewritten scenarios.

Unknown Regions: Umm, you're not missing much here. It's got the rules for generic Near-Humans, a fair bit of useful extra equipment, standard chunk of talents etc. Its main big thing is Hazards, which are basically just statlines for environmental hazards like blizzards, rockslides, quicksand, electric fences, lava flows, and so forth. There's a lot of them so they're very handy for ad hoc GMing. There's also a planet generator (again, useful for on-the-fly GMing) and rules for mounts... wooo...

Scavengers guide: It adds loads and loads more droid models, with loads and loads of story hooks to work plotlines around them. Personally I feel that droids are one thing that makes Star Wars feel like Star Wars so I try to sprinkle them in liberally. As well as being Starships of the Galaxy for droids, this book also has some rules which make it quicker and simpler for players to play as droids than the systems presented in the core book; representing basic types of droid as 'races' with a starting package of equipment and stat modifiers/feats. Even for experienced players, this is often still the best way of playing a droid, so it gets a thumbs-up from me.

I've always thought it odd that Soldiers don't have an option to start with Adv. Melee prof. As others have said, Heavy Weapons prof should probably be left as a feat tax.

I might consider letting Soldiers trade in Rifle proficiency for Adv. Melee in my games.
    Legacy does have a few neat things in it. The Force powers are useful for a Force-mage style character, the double barrel blaster carbine is fun, and the Force Hunter bounty hunter talents are great fun for Mandalorians. :)