New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default 3.5 Feats That Don't Exist That Should

So, I want to make a feat.
    A feat for High STR/CON characters that simply just don't care about that fireball.
    Potential thought:
    You may choose to automatically fail the Reflex save, taking normal damage. You lose any benefits from (Improved) Evasion, but may instead take a swift action to move your movement speed.

General purpose being to floor it through the blast, willingly taking the damage in exchange for being closer to the caster.
    Thinking I might call it "Bounce it off Your Pecs"
    Maybe put it in Races of Stone.

Tl;dr, ITT: Feats we wished existed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Feats That Don't Exist That Should

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli View Post
    So, I want to make a feat.
    A feat for High STR/CON characters that simply just don't care about that fireball.
    Potential thought:
    You may choose to automatically fail the Reflex save, taking normal damage. You lose any benefits from (Improved) Evasion, but may instead take a swift action to move your movement speed.

General purpose being to floor it through the blast, willingly taking the damage in exchange for being closer to the caster.
    Thinking I might call it "Bounce it off Your Pecs"
    Maybe put it in Races of Stone.
    So something like this...

Face the Fire
    Prerequisites: Constitution 15+
    Benefit: When you would be asked to make a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw. If you do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

One feat I wished existed? Quick Sheathe.

Because seriously, why is that not a thing?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was just thinking about Quick Draw, actually, and how strange it is that the fastest way to select a new weapon/free up your hands in combat is to drop what you're holding.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    I was just thinking about Quick Draw, actually, and how strange it is that the fastest way to select a new weapon/free up your hands in combat is to drop what you're holding.
    Well, think about it. How do you drop something? You open your hand. Is there anything that could be faster than that?

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    One feat I wished existed? Quick Sheathe.

Because seriously, why is that not a thing?
    Honestly as a DM, I would House Rule that they're synonymous.
    I probably butchered the spelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    So something like this...

Face the Fire
    Prerequisites: Constitution 15+
    Benefit: When you would be asked to make a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw. If you do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects.
    Maybe not call it "Face the Fire," simply because it would apply to Cone of Cold and other elemental effects.
    Does that seem ludicrious though? I think it makes sense..
    Edit:
    by "that" I am referring to the feat concept, not the changing of the name.
    Last edited by PraxisVetli; 2013-09-17 at 04:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Maybe not call it "Face the Fire," simply because it would apply to Cone of Cold and other elemental effects.
    Does that seem ludicrious though? I think it makes sense..
    Face the Fire was the best non-cheesy name I could think of for the effect. I think the rules made it pretty clear that it worked for non-fire effects.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Face the Fire was the best non-cheesy name I could think of for the effect. I think the rules made it pretty clear that it worked for non-fire effects.
    touche.
    Would you allow this feat at your table? I'm DMing a campaign and a few of the players have been pushing for such a feat, I want other's opinion before I decide to let them have it.
    To me it seems fair, barreling through rather than dodging. It makes sense, when has the Frenzied Berserker ever actually thought of dodging something when the squishy annoying guy is just right over there, begging to be axe'd?

9. - Top - End - #9

Feats that allow for tanking. There's one in Drow of the Underdark that allows you swap places with someone, but it's one feat really. I wish there were more, like ones that let you make AOO against foes not striking you, or let you apply attack/spell DC penalties when the enemies attacks/spells don't include you as a target.

10. - Top - End - #10

I'd have no problem with that feat, I'd honestly consider it a little underpowered (although the corner cases of using it to escape a Web or Grease are funny).

In one of my campaigns one of the characters had a custom feat that let him 'cut out' a chunk of AoEs if he voluntarily failed the save and survived the blast. So basically, if you were behind him in a cone-shaped region, you were shielded from the blast.

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateCaptain

For Trailblazer:

Greater Weapon Kata
    Prerequisites: Weapon Kata, +7 BAB
    Benefit: The character has learned to strike harder and faster by studying the way their body works. They add any unarmed damage of which they are entitled to their normal weapon damage, so long as they are not wearing a heavy load, and not wearing armor or wielding a weapon which they do not have proficiency with.*

Spoiler
    Show
    Wish I hadn't gone 4 sessions in a game before realizing the Trailblazer Monk doesn't get this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

As an feat chain from Face the Fire, what about 'Melee Counterspell':

Melee Counterspell:
    Req: Face the Fire, BAB something-or-other

When you Face the Fire, if you end your movement next to the caster of the effect you can also make a single melee attack against them at full BAB.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

touche.
    Would you allow this feat at your table? I'm DMing a campaign and a few of the players have been pushing for such a feat, I want other's opinion before I decide to let them have it.
    It is highly situational and isn't that useful (since it basically means one is going to be taking a lot of damage or have other issues when one uses it). I'd be fine with it.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

14. - Top - End - #14

Would you allow this feat at your table?
    Probably not. It's a rarely utilizes feat that becomes very powerful (as it breaks the action economy) only in a very particular set of circumstances. Add that the characters most likely to take it are very unlikely to pass save DCs against high-level abilities, so this is basically no penalty at all for the effect.

I'd also be concerned about allies firing low-damage AoE abilities to give their buddies extra move actions, and denying that capability via the feat rules would feel awkward.

So I probably wouldn't allow it. Not because it's to strong, but because it's either useless or oddly swingy, and it interacts strangely with a number of weaker and/or allied effects.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably not. It's a rarely utilizes feat that becomes very powerful (as it breaks the action economy) only in a very particular set of circumstances. Add that the characters most likely to take it are very unlikely to pass save DCs against high-level abilities, so this is basically no penalty at all for the effect.

I'd also be concerned about allies firing low-damage AoE abilities to give their buddies extra move actions, and denying that capability via the feat rules would feel awkward.
    Well, that convinces me to go with no also then, which is too bad because the idea is cool. The action economy issue is a serious one an I don't know how to make up for it in any sane way. And the fact that it would apply primarily to people who would likely fail the save is also serious.

But there really should be some way to get something similar to work. I'm not sure though how to do it mechanically. Maybe restrict to a five foot step? Butt then it will likely be too weak.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    But there really should be some way to get something similar to work. I'm not sure though how to do it mechanically. Maybe restrict to a five foot step? Butt then it will likely be too weak.
    The easiest fix is to allow it as an alternative to making a SUCCESSFUL save: opt to take full damage (half damage if you have Improved Evasion) in exchange for closing the distance (maybe with a single free attack). You'd shunt it into the realm of Rogues and other fast characters, which would make the damage meaningful, especially as they'd be completely evading it otherwise.

I'd also probably specify that effects created by your allies do NOT give you the ability to use this ability.

Couple it with maybe a minor Reflex boost or a minor speed boost to make sure the feat is granting you something even in non-optimal conditions.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

17. - Top - End - #17

Metamagic with downsides other than altered spell levels.
    Increase dice size but take static penalty, increase area but drop the DC, etc.

Ranged equivalent for Power Attack (thank you, Pathfinder).

Spell equivalent for Power Attack.

Feats that grant class features, to reduce dipping.
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

18. - Top - End - #18

I don't actually think the action economy issue is all that bad - movement alone isn't very powerful, and an ally burning a standard action to give someone else a move action (albeit in a weird way) is kind of a bad trade usually - there are already ways for someone to burn a standard action to give someone else an extra attack or even a full round action (thank you White Raven Tactics...).

Also, what's wrong with the alchemist and gnome barbarian making a 'rocket-powered-gnome' combo with some alchemist fire? I guess it doesn't fit the tone of some games.

Now, if there's some PrC ability somewhere that lets you make a full attack every time you move, then it becomes an issue.

19. - Top - End - #19

SolithKnightGuy

Martial Spellcasting.

Fighter 8, Monk 8, Rogue 10, Barbarian 10

Choose one spell that a sorcerer of your level would normally be able to cast on the list below.

You may recreate this effect a number of times an encounter equal to your Con Mod (minimum 1). This ability still grants saving throws which the DC is 10 + 1/2 ECL + Strength or Dexterity mod.

(I would make a list of spells that can be explained as Ex... Like disintegrate = hitting really hars or plane shift = cutting the fabric of time and space).
    [/opinion]... Usually.

Weapon Skills (Rough Draft 1)
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Weapon-Skills

Coming soon! Some 8 Bit Sub-Classes!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ings)-(WIP!!!)

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Martial Spellcasting.

Fighter 8, Monk 8, Rogue 10, Barbarian 10

Choose one spell that a sorcerer of your level would normally be able to cast on the list below.

You may recreate this effect a number of times an encounter equal to your Con Mod (minimum 1). This ability still grants saving throws which the DC is 10 + 1/2 ECL + Strength or Dexterity mod.

(I would make a list of spells that can be explained as Ex... Like disintegrate = hitting really hars or plane shift = cutting the fabric of time and space).
    This isn't a bad idea but I think it'll be more palatable if you call it something like 'Mythic Deed' or 'Legendary Ability'.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

The easiest fix is to allow it as an alternative to making a SUCCESSFUL save: opt to take full damage (half damage if you have Improved Evasion) in exchange for closing the distance (maybe with a single free attack). You'd shunt it into the realm of Rogues and other fast characters, which would make the damage meaningful, especially as they'd be completely evading it otherwise.

I'd also probably specify that effects created by your allies do NOT give you the ability to use this ability.

Couple it with maybe a minor Reflex boost or a minor speed boost to make sure the feat is granting you something even in non-optimal conditions.
    This.

Also, more mobility feats in general. I think the way to make monks/rogues better in combat would be to make them feel like what they are-agile combatants that can jump through anything to kill.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, about the following version then:

Ride the Explosion
    Prerequisites: Dex 13+
    Benefit: When you succeed on making a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw, and take an additional 1d6 damage of whatever type of damage the effect does. If you chose to do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects. Also, you get a +2 bonus reflex saves for any effect that allows a reflex save for partial damage.

That still allows one to do stunts with your players rocket blasting you around, but the extra damage should help prevent that being used too much and that's not exactly a great tactic anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8artist View Post
    Metamagic with downsides other than altered spell levels.
    Increase dice size but take static penalty, increase area but drop the DC, etc.

Ranged equivalent for Power Attack (thank you, Pathfinder).

Spell equivalent for Power Attack.

Feats that grant class features, to reduce dipping.
    Some of these are easier to do than others. Metamagic could be awkward if it isn't done carefully. Something like the Metamagic material components might do it (Heck being able to do so in a setting where that doesn't otherwise happen might be a reasonable feat itself.)

But how about the following:

Mage Draining Spell [Metamagic]
    Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st level arcane spells.
    Benefit: A Mage Draining Spell may only effect a spell that has allows a save and spell resistance. When you cast a mage draining spell you must also sacrifice a spell slot of at least the same level of the spell cast. Any spellcaster who fails their save against a Mage Draining Spell loses one spell slot or prepared spell randomly selected of their highest level. If they have multiple spellcasting classes this occurs separately for each class.

I like the feats instead of class levels idea, and I don't know if these would do a decent job. More editing and balancing may be required.

Sneak Attack
    Prerequisites: BAB 3+, May not have any sneak attack damage.
    Benefit: You gain 1d6 sneak attack damage just as if you were a first level rogue.
    Special: If you ever gain sneak attack (such as taking rogue levels) this feat immediately stops functioning, but you may choose at that time to replace this feat with any fighter bonus feat you meet the prerequisites for.

Magician
    Prerequisites: You may not have any class levels that grant prepared arcane spellcasting.
    Benefit: You have learned some small skill in magic similar to, but not as fully trained as a wizard. Chose 3 cantrips and a level 1 spell slot from the sorcerer/wizard list. You gain 2 spell slots, a level 0 spell slot and a level 1 spell slot. You may prepare and cast spells from a spellbook just like a first level wizard but may only prepare the spells you chose. You do not get any bonus spell slots from a high ability score, but use your intelligence to determine your save DCs (if any). If you take this feat at first level, you automatically receive a spellbook containing your chosen spells.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you add an additional 3 cantrips and an additional level 1 spell to your list. Also, if you ever gain any levels in wizard or any other class that prepares arcane spells, any copies of this feat cease to function. However, you may immediately replace any copies of this feat with metamagic, item creation, or spell focus feats that you meet the prerequsite for.

Note: The above feat can also be fluffed as a feat for an apprentice wizard.

Lesser Sorcerer
    Prerequisites: You may not have any class levels that grant spontaneous arcane spellcasting
    Benefit: You have learned some small semblance of sorcery. Chose 1 cantrips and a level 1 spell slot from the sorcerer/wizard list. You gain 2 spell slots, a level 0 spell slot and 2 level 1 spell slots. You may cast spells spontaneously using these spell slots just as if you were a first level sorcerer with spells known. You do not get any bonus spell slots from a high ability score, but use your charisma to determine your save DCs of your spells.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you add an additional cantrip or an additional level 1 spell to your list of spells known. Also, if you ever gain any levels in sorcerer or any other class that spontaneously arcane spells, you instead lose your spell slots granted from this feat and treat the spells given as extra spells known.

Pious Soul
    Prerequisites: You may not have any class levels that grant prepared divine spellcasting.
    Benefit: You have a small ability to channel some divine force. Chose 1 cantrips and a level 1 spell slot from the cleric list. You gain 2 spell slots, a level 0 spell slot and 2 level 1 spell slots. You may prepare and cast spells these spells just like a first level cleric. You do not get any bonus spell slots from a high ability score, but use your wisdom to determine your save DCs of your spells.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you add a cantrip and an additional level 1 spell to your list of spells you may prepare. Also, if you ever gain any levels in cleric or any other class that prepares divine spells, you immediately lose the benefits of this. You may immediately replace any copies of this feat with Skill Focus Knowledge(Religion), [Divine] feat, Improved Turning, or Extra Turning, Natural Spell, or a metamagic or item creation feat. You must meet meet the prerequisites for the new feat.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

23. - Top - End - #23

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    This isn't a bad idea but I think it'll be more palatable if you call it something like 'Mythic Deed' or 'Legendary Ability'.
    Thanks, oh yeah the name was more or less a cop out haha.

But magic has always been this untouchable thing when really many of the effects can be explained through Ex abilities but WotC doesn't want to disturb the sacred cow.

I'm going to write up this feat sometime and may even write up a template of sorts to add onto mundanes so that they automatically gain this stuff.

But its off to bed with me.

Edit:

Magic Eater

Choose a number of spells equal to Con Mod (min 1) + ECL (when you gain levels you may select more spells). You are immune to all effects of these spells.

Creatures brought forth by using summon monster/nature ally can't touch you but a monster called can.

When you are targeted by spells you are immune to you gain a number of temp HP equal to spell level + caster's spell casting modifier. You may take this feat one additional time but gain [con mod] additional spells added to list of immune spells in addition.

(I lied and wanted to post this... This is based off a really cool soulmeld).
    Last edited by Perseus; 2013-09-17 at 10:33 PM.
    [/opinion]... Usually.

24. - Top - End - #24

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Hmm, about the following version then:

Ride the Explosion
    Prerequisites: Dex 13+
    Benefit: When you succeed on making a Reflex save for partial damage, you may instead choose to voluntarily fail your saving throw, and take an additional 1d6 damage of whatever type of damage the effect does. If you chose to do so, you may immediately move up to your base land speed towards the source (or caster, if applicable) of the effect. You may only take this action once per round, even if you are forced to make Reflex saves against multiple effects. Also, you get a +2 bonus reflex saves for any effect that allows a reflex save for partial damage.

That still allows one to do stunts with your players rocket blasting you around, but the extra damage should help prevent that being used too much and that's not exactly a great tactic anyways.
    I can dig that, especially since it grantsthe ability to move, not a move action. Stops people from abusing Belt of Battle with it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

Also, I know I'm off-topic'ing my own thread, but man, I wish the Heal Skill wasn't so useless.
    Though I did once find a table that allowed points per rank in Heal; points could be spent on Synthentic Cure type Spells.
    It was meh, we tried it in a campaign, end result was so long as you kept Heal capped, you were essentially half you Character lvl in Cleric. With way less spells per day.
    And it was just flat too much hassle.

26. - Top - End - #26

27. - Top - End - #27

I think Magic Eater is too swingy, and it basically forces the people playing a Fighter to go and learn everything a Wizard could do to them to decide what handful of things they don't want the Wizard to do to them. Its also kind of poorly explained why somehow 'not being magical' translates to being 'antimagical'.

For that matter, its a really good feat for Wizards too - take it for Dispel Magic and you can no longer be counter-spelled, etc. Or for anyone really.

Quote Originally Posted by PraxisVetli
    Also, I know I'm off-topic'ing my own thread, but man, I wish the Heal Skill wasn't so useless. Though I did once find a table that allowed points per rank in Heal; points could be spent on Synthentic Cure type Spells. It was meh, we tried it in a campaign, end result was so long as you kept Heal capped, you were essentially half you Character lvl in Cleric. With way less spells per day. And it was just flat too much hassle.
    In my last campaign there were status conditions that flat out required a certain number of ranks of Heal to remove, and you could resolve most status conditions (Nauseated, etc) with a Heal check. People still didn't take Heal, but there were a few times the party wished someone had.
    Last edited by NichG; 2013-09-18 at 12:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    For that matter, its a really good feat for Wizards too - take it for Dispel Magic and you can no longer be counter-spelled, etc. Or for anyone really.
    Yeah...that could be an issue...

29. - Top - End - #29

SolithKnightGuy

Yeah...that could be an issue...
    Of course there would be exceptions, that was a first draft I wanted to throw out there.

The thing about feats is that they are so underpowered that people make new ones balanced with the old ones.

Feats really really need a boost in power and they need to not have draw backs unless they are really good. Spellward shirt gives you immunity to a ton of spells changeable each day so Magic Eater isn't that crazy. Plus dispell magic is usually only used by players cause when a DM uses it it is considered being a bad DM (all jokes aside DMs don't use it all that much I've found, to troublesome).

However for magic eater and magic eater 2 (both prototypes) they will drop your caster level by 4 or 6 mage slayer does.

Magic Eater 2

Choose three schools of magic. You always take half effect/duration/penalty from any spell in these schools. Any positive effect from a spell in these school are not affected. When targeted by these spells you gain a number of temp HP equal to Spell Level + Caster's casting Stat.

Taking this feat reduces your caster level by 6.

Improved Save
    Fighter 8, Rogue 10, Barbarian 8, Ranger 10

Choose Fort, Ref, or Will. You gain a good progression on your save table. Recalculate as if class always had this good save progression. This feat may only be taken once.
    [/opinion]... Usually.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't restrict the class feature ones that if taken you exchange them for something...

I would go:
    Backstabbing:
    Prereqs: BaB +3, Dex 13.
    Benefit: You gain +1d6 Sneak Attack damage like the Sneak Attack ability of the Rogue.
    Special: This feat may be taken multiple times.

Something giving you spontaneous casting is already there, albeit it is a faerun feat. That feat slightly pimped would be a pretty decent feat to get on a Totemist to dip Dragon Disciple.

Maybe make the special thing for the caster classes be that they get an extra 1st level slot(in case they know all their list give them a +1 CL on their chosen spell).
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman