New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dreams of Greener Grass

Quote Originally Posted by Subproject54 View Post
    I would say this is an important factor to consider: different cities are better suited for different career paths. To name a couple examples: for the movies, it's all about Chicago and Hollywood, for video games or the latest hot tech it's all about San Fransisco/the Sillicon Valley (although Denver is becoming quite popular too), for the military or government D.C. is the place to be, etc.
    Wait, what? Chicago is part of the film industry?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    Wait, what? Chicago is part of the film industry?
    Hugely so. A significant portion of Hollywood movers and shakers live in Chicago, not to mention some of the best film schools in the country are there. If you want into Hollywood, you could move out there and be dirt poor while trying to catch a break, or you can go to a Chicago film school, still be dirt poor and then try to catch a break. With the latter option, you're at least in college a good portion of the time. I've digressed: the bottom line with Holloywood, like any other industry, is that it comes down to who you know and Chicgo is intricately tied to film because the people who make them love and live in Chicago.
    Hello, I'm Finlam: content creator for D&D5e and writer.
    Playable Slimes for D&D5e
    >>>So You Want To Be A Slime?<<<

5eHeroic - Make high level D&D feel heroic and fun again.

-Game Content-
    Roleplay Warm-up - Exercises to get into Character
    3 Traps to Get Your Players Excited
    GM's Easy Creation Kit (G.E.C.K.)

-Character Builds-
    Building a Super SAD Tank - Using a Paladin/Hexblade to build an unstoppable tank.

Let's chat sometime.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow guys, the way you talk about all these American cities make me want to go there! Sometimes with all these news about the bad economy and stuff, we tend to forget it's still a land of opportunities. You wouldn't hear that about our old European cities, unfortunately.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe we can start some sort of citizenship exchange, where if you can find a willing partner in another country, you can trade citizenships.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

yuk Re: Dreams of Greener Grass

Allow me to put in a plug for Utah. I live in north eastern Utah by the Wyoming and Colorado border and while there is almost no public transportation of which to speak of, we have a handful of lakes that all offer fairly good fishing and mountains where you can go hunting elk and all sorts of other critters during the fall. if you are a sucker for snow to, we definitely get our fair share sometimes even getting blocked into the valley, (we are completely surrounded by mountains, making it extremely difficult to escape from here if you want to visit family during Christmas.) But that means we have many good ski resorts close by.
    Salt Lake City and Denver Colorado are both only three hours away, so if you want to escape to a heavily populated area for the weekend you can. Almost all the people in this area are independent and just want to be left alone, but no one that I have run into will ever treat you poorly and if you are broken down anywhere (which, working in the oil fields here, happens to me more often then I care to admit to my boss) I always can find someone who is willing to help either get me unstuck, or willing to give me a ride back into town.