New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [Pathfinder Gestalt] (IC)

The combat in our area over, the adrenaline begins to cook off of Dušana. She stands in awe of the raging brawler and the rapier-wielding wizard with the sharp teeth. "Never in my life have I seen such powerful shows of physical and magical might. I am in your debt, Kurgol, Celiss. If you were not there at the festival ... and near me at that ... I no doubt would be one of the fallen here."

Shortly thereafter, the witch will scavenge the bodies for anything worthwhile. Just like a hedge mage - you never know when you'll find something useful.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

"Twarn't nothing," says Kurgol.

Celiss looks Dušana over. "Mage armor as a witch, as was charm person. But, I'm unfamiliar with your nature magic. Druid, I estimate, and the burning disarm was used to good effect. It would make sense to have such complimentary skills for life in a cottage. Your skills were useful, but only in keeping yourself barely alive. You have no real skill in combat, so next time something happens like this .... you run."

The nobleman comes out from hiding, and then falling to his knees in grief for his dog, gratitude for the heroes, and general confusion. He thanks the heroes profusely, and as he does his eyes finally look to Dušana. "You, you were amazing ... never mind your friend. You made such use of your physical friends to shield you, and were smart enough to know how to position yourself with the last goblin. You made an incredibly resourceful trick with such an otherwise lowly summon. But most of all, your beauty ruled the battlefield. What is your name? Of course, what are all three of your names?"

"I'm Celiss Nightrom. This is Kurgol. This here is Dušana."

He glances around nervously for more goblins. "I'll be in town for a few more days; I'm staying at the Rusty Dragon to the south, and when you get a chance, I'd love to talk to you more and perhaps reward you properly for saving my life."

While obviously talking to the three of you, he still has trouble taking his eyes off of Ms. Essert. He looks to his hunting dog and sighs before taking his leave.

From the goblin commando, you scrounge up Small studded leather, a Small masterwork horsechopper, a small wooden shield (Small), Small shortbow, and 20 small arrows.

By this time, the battle has been decided. Surviving goblins flee north in droves, in some cases preferring to leap to their certain death off cliffs rather than be captured. Several of the little menaces are in fact caught alive, but they prove useless when interrogated; none of these goblins know much more than that they were given orders to kill everyone in town and burn down the place. None of the captured goblins can even remember their leader’s name, apart from the fact that he was one of “you longshanks." Their leader was on a secret mission to the town’s graveyard—that much most goblins can say, but none of them know what that mission was. It was secret, after all!
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-09-28 at 02:25 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana offers Aldern her hand to kiss, and she blushes when he does so. Most people stay clear of her except when they want her services. There have been those in town, the misogynists and cat-callers, that have tried to get the better of her, but a well-placed charm usually holds them off. Even if they resist, the casting of magic is a fine deterrent for those that would attempt to ravage her.

But right now, she's thinking of a few scenarios and settings in which she just might not mind being "ravaged" by Aldern. She tries not to reciprocate his looks, and seems coquettish, but as she leaves she is definitely checking him out, barely biting the lower part of her lip.

She finally turns her attention to Celiss. "Believe me, I have every intention of running. I have never killed anyone before, and I feel funny. I think I might follow Kurgol's example and get drunk tonight. But first, I have never seen either of you about ... though I don't come into town that often. Perhaps I could be your guide while you are in town? There is no one I know of in my circle-of-one that is any kind of magician, and I'd love to talk shop to you if you are willing to give me some tutelage while I act as a humble guide."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

4. - Top - End - #34

Of course he has his hand out in case yours is proffered to him to kiss!

Kurgol says, "Sure, I could use a way about town, even if it's just to help me when I'm sober ... which means when I'm out of it."

Celiss watches the exchange between the two star-crossed lovers, looking on with a stoic face yet amused inside. After he leaves and Dušana makes her request, Celiss cracks the slightest smile. "Well, if you can make such an impression with all of the well-to-do here in Sandpoint, I guess it couldn't hurt. I'm from Cheliax, a far cry from where I was raised and did most of my early adventuring and study."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think we should find Mayor Deverin or Sheriff Hemlock and show him this one that we downed, and then the war chanter. There are a few goblin hunters that come into town every know and then, and maybe there's some intelligence to be gained."

Dušana leads the other two, trying to find the mayor or the sheriff (if they'll see the group). In the meanwhile, "Kurgol, I've never seen your equal in strength. Are all half-orcs that strong? What about that weaponless fighting? I've heard stories of monks, but you seem more like a fantastic brawler?"
    Current Games

6. - Top - End - #36

"Har-har!" Kurgol slur-laughs. "I'm as strong as my kin come, but they are no less ferocious!!"

On the last word, he shouts it out to the sky, raising both fists in a bent arm pose as if lifting something. "I'm from Kaer Maga, though originally of Shoanti stock. And id'd'd be my plesher to take you as my guide."

The sheriff comes to you before you to him, mainly because he checks among the dead. Celiss has a severe attitude and a professional demeanor about such things and shows the war chanter and the commando in the specific places you fought them. He gets your names and Celiss gives a report of the three battles the three of you fought.

The sheriff notes the small horsechopper Dušana is holding onto. He frowns. "This is still made of cast-off metal as with the dogslicers, their short swords. But these two ... their gear is of good quality. And the horsechopper here worries me, because it is of very good quaity. That means that either someone is arming them, or given its make they possess a very capable weaponsmith.

"May we keep their arms and armor? The town will compensate you, especially for the intelligence value of the larger blade. Given what living goblins have told us, the grave of the priest that died in the fire five years ago ... Ezakien Tobyn ... well his remains were stolen. Please try to keep this quiet. The mayor and Father Zantus have been informed, but we hope to avoid further distress to the people of Sandpoint.

"Ms. Nightrom, put a leash on your drunken friend. And you, Dušana ... just try to stay out of trouble; but I am proud of you. Most of the townsfolk might begin to respect you more after today."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana beams with Sheriff Hemlock's compliment. In coming days, she will be as personable as she's ever been .... until someone deflates that, which won't take much given how sensitive and self-aware she is.
    Current Games

8. - Top - End - #38

Father Zantus finds the heroes and heals Kurgol of his wounds, nods thankfully to Celiss, but still is put off by the pagan.

As Sandpoint recovers from the attack and buries its (thankfully few) dead, the citizens do their best to get on with their lives. The cathedral is consecrated the next day during a much more subdued and indoor ceremony, but by the end of the week, the goblin attack is remembered mostly with chuckles. Now that the terror of the raid is over, memories of goblins accidentally lighting themselves on fire, getting stepped on by horses, or drowning in rain barrels that were only half full in the first place render memories of the raid in an almost comical light. But one thing the locals haven’t forgotten is their new heroes. The newcomers Celiss Nightrom, Kurgol, and Sandpoint's own Dušana Essert!

Their names soon become household knowledge. Everywhere you they go in town, locals welcome them. A simple walk down Main Street might result in local baker Alma Avertin charging out into the street and press a fresh-baked loaf of bread into the arms of the skinny Dušana with worried comments that she must be starving. A visit to the Hagfish brings an immediate round of cheers, applause, and a round of drinks on the house (and likely a challenge to drink from Norah’s tank). A trip to the Sandpoint Theater might have Cyrdak Drokkus trying to talk Dušana into auditioning for his new play. A stop at Savah’s Armory is greeted with an instantaneous offer of 20% off anything in stock. Certainly not everyone in Sandpoint wants to be the heroes' new best friend, but they certainly start to feel more than welcome.

Kurgol does indeed try to take the drink from Nora's tank. He pays 1 silver for the chance to drink the horribly foul-smelling and thick scum from the hagfish's tank. He almost vomits it out, but manages to keep it going and suck it down! Kurgol is awarded with the pouch of silver that all those who have tried before him since the last winner tried had been reset. In 10 years, only 28 have won and each get their name carved onto the beam above the aquarium, and Kurgol is 29. He gets 74 silver coins.Speaking of which, I will divide the party's "compensation" for the weapons and armor of the fallen that are given over to the sheriff.

Each of the three heroes stay at different places. Dušana, Celiss asks if she can stay with you at your cottage. She has magics to help keep your place clean, and is willing to discuss more arcane theory with you.

Bad news ... horrible news, in fact ... reaches the girls' ears as they go into town the next day. Throughout the past two days, despite his temperament and "classic half-orc good looks" Kurgol has been seen as quite "available" ... his muscles inspiring awe where his face cannot. Little trinkets were left where he slept and many young women were seen looking after him after he walked by. His bravery and success at the Hagfish gained him much notoriety among the lowly.

Well, last night he was seduced by a story of dire rats in her father's basement. Ven Vinder, Shayliss' father, came down to find them as Kurgol was jumping out of a cot she had set up there. If Kurgol was faster, he might have gotten out with no issue, but Ven was faster and slugged Kurgol. That was it, Kurgol lost his temper and instead of fighting with normal fists, he began to use deadly blows while Shayliss hid in the corner. Ven Vinder isn't any skilled adventurer but he knows his way around a fistfight, but he had no chance against the drunken, raging, unarmed monster. He was killed, and Kurgol ran out. Ven had called for the sheriff when the fight first started, and Kurgol bolted out of town.

With one of the heroes showing his true color as nothing but a murderer, Celiss and Dušana suffer a drop in reputation, especially since Ven was a well-liked man. Sheriff Hemlock sends a message to Magnimar with a description of Kurgol. Knowing how powerful and dangerous the half-orc is, he dare not send out guards to try and hunt him down and bring him to justice.

Celiss tries to make everything right with Shayliss (who before this there had already been rumors) and her sister Katrine (rumored to be "shacked up" with one of the men that works at the lumber mill, and her overly protective father was up in arms about it). She gives the family 200 gp, and then matches that 200 gp to a fund given to the church to help with the families of those that fell in the Sandpoint Raid. Such generosity is met with well, and she repairs the damaged prestige to the two women adventurers. However, Celiss makes no attempt to hunt down Kurgol. "I have no skill in woodcraft, and from what you've told me, you have no skill in tracking. And if we find him, I fear that just the two of us could do little to stop him."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana has no intention of becoming an exotic attraction in a play, no thank you, Mr. Drokkus. Still, there is a feeling inside that she is finally becoming accepted. It seems that most people find her half-elven looks, white hair, and purple eyes strange but beautiful, but a play would make her look like an attractive side show attraction.

She is horrified by the events surrounding Kurgol. And yet, despite helping in the goblining, his actions are not totally misunderstood. He is constantly drunk, physically powerful, and quick to anger. Out of instinct he could kill and then flee when what he'd done dawned on him. It's too late now, though. He murdered, evil or not, with a terrible motivation. Dušana writes him off and will be very wary if she sees him again ... including trying to enlist aid in capturing him if possible.

400 gp? Wow. Speaking of which, she'll want to brew some potions in her cauldron in downtime. Since she seems to have the cash, she'll ask Celiss for some funds to provide potions for both.
    Current Games

10. - Top - End - #40

Celiss is very impressed that despite your basic level spellcasting ability, you can brew potions. She notes your skill with your cauldron. She is also impressed with your ability to stretch a gold piece in making potions, especially since it is coming out of her purse. It is a regular "sewing circle" of gossip in telling what you do know about Sandpoint to help Celiss know more. Meanwhile, you brew while she scribes, and both of you also talk shop about magic.

The first time she meets Radish, you are very careful to make sure Celiss is not touched, but Celiss tells you that poisons cannot affect her. Sure enough, the passive toad does nothing when Celiss touches her, and the wizard is unharmed.

Two days go by, and you are able to brew two CLW potions for the equivalent of 47 gp and 5 sp, but much of this is more an effect of materials you gather in the woods. Meanwhile, after shopping in town, Celiss scribes burning hands and expeditious retreat for 25 gp of materials, and gives them to you. "I might ask for them back, but you need a littlle more punch in a pinch, and an escape if all else fails. And just in case you were thinking it, I have enough defenses that you should keep both potions you brewed."

I assume you perform your readings each day? Celiss doesn't go in for this fortune telling B.S., so she never asks for a reading.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

No one has ever given her anything so amazing and powerful. This was a sign that Celiss has definitely accepted her for any future endeavor. She is sure to thank Celiss, but not to do so overly much. It seems the wizard is stern and she doesn't want to press it.
    Spoiler: Harrow Draw
    Show
    Suit: (1d6)[5]. Card (1d9)[7]

EDIT
    The Eclipse (lawful evil, Wisdom) represents self-doubt and
    loss of purpose. This card afflicts those with faith in the divine,
    as their talents can wane under this stress. It can also indicate a
    loss of way along a path
    . If misaligned, it can augur an unheralded
    ability coming to the fore or a concealed location revealed.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-09-29 at 12:18 AM.
    Current Games

12. - Top - End - #42

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [PF Gestalt] (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Wisdom, how fitting for someone who needs to make sure they aren't totally lost.

Aldern Foxglove comes a-riding one morning to Dušana's cottage to speak to the women. Before he returns to his house in Magnimar in a few more days, he was hoping to go on a boar hunt in nearby Tickwood, and invites both ladies along (but his attention obviously goes to you). He knows that you respect nature, but he's not sure if you eat meat or not; he promises that the boar will not be killed just for sport but will be eaten at a big dinner prepared by none other than Ameiko, whom the ladies simply must meet.

Celiss smirks, understanding what it means to be a third wheel. "I have some studies for today, Mr. Foxglove, but perhaps you could entertain Ms. Essert ... get her out of the cottage and away from the cauldron?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana purses her lips, trying not to blush but failing as she looks away ... some. "I would love to, but as long as you promise that such a hunt leads to a meal. Don't worry, brave lord Foxglove, the boar here are no bigger than a dog. That way, we won't worry about anyone getting seriously injured, and nothing will go to waste."

She can't contain her giddiness, and laughs freely with him.
    Current Games

14. - Top - End - #44

Aldern claps his hands in delight. Aldern gladly buys Dušana her own mount from Goblin Squash Stables, then eagerly leads her and his three manservants west over Tanner’s Bridge and along the southern banks of the Turandarok River.

It’s a two mile ride to the Tickwood Ford, just north of the upthrust limestone escarpment known as the Devil’s Platter. Despite its ominous name, Tickwood is actually a relatively safe woodland, one well known to be the home of wild boars, deer, and perhaps one or two firepelt cougars—no goblin tribes dwell within its boundaries.

The ride to Tickwood takes about a half hour. Aldern is a charming conversationalist, well-read and with a seemingly endless cache of stories about the high life in Magnimar. He's more interested in Dušana, though. Despite being a part-time resident of Sandpoint, he travels in circles far above your own.

Who are you? Where are you from? How long you they been fighting goblins? Do you have any harrowing tales of their adventures? His attention seems like friendly flirting. His attention is friendly at first, but growing increasingly ardent the more he knows you. No one has ever paid as much attention to you as this man.

The boars of Tickwood aren’t all that fierce—no more than a riding dog, and the catch is made a little easier with your help. Aldern invites you back to the Rusty Dragon that evening, where he hands the boar over to Ameiko to cook for a big dinner.

Anything to note for you?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Happy to talk about herself and have a man listen, she gives away the goods, even if it comes back to bite her later ...

"My name is Dušana Essert; my Varisian name means 'spirit,' and my sylvan name means 'axle,' probably because I am sort of a bridge between human, elven, and fey interests that keep life in this area rolling smoothly? Hahaha. Anyway, I know my father was a Varisian diviner who moved to Sandpoint in his prime, and my mother was an elven sorceress of some type that died in childbirth with me. He divined from his Harrow deck that he should take me to a group to a faerie ring that his intuition led him to, and to leave me there. Considering my white hair and purple eyes - features definitely not seen by any of my people on either side - it was taken as an auspicious, or even inauspicious sign - but it meant something.

"I am a fey foundling, and was raised from only a few months after birth by the good fey of the forest that hide near Sandpoint. They taught me the lore of the land and about the Green Faith, though I also have a draw towards my people's worship of Desna. I have been able to draw some meager power from the land itself. Though I don't quite have the solid sense of nature as other druids, I can see things that no one else can see. I can see my friends the fey when they are invisible, and I can see other creatures that oft do not wish to be seen or noticed as human. My magic also comes from the power of the land.

"I have an intuition about what are called 'ley lines' and am able to draw upon them. This may be similar to seeing the unseen. My arcane abilities are minimal, a little offense and defense, though I am able to mix a variety of druid and witch brews in my cauldron. I feel a pull towards divination, though I am in no way what anyone would call an actual diviner. Nevertheless, I am very good at reading Harrow cards and am a skilled fortune teller."

When he asks about fighting goblins, she replies, "Oh, I've been fighting goblins for ... let's see if I can think back that far ... oh, yes, several days." *laugh* ... "No, I've only come into town for supplies and for fortune telling. In fact, most people come to my cottage when they want simple potions, and they usually bring goods and consumables as much as they might bring money ... and those things are much more useful."

She looks a little more rueful as she rides. "The fact is, Lord Foxglove, I have never killed anyone before. Animals, yes, but only when I needed meat; and even then sparingly since I don't need much. But when I cut nearly clean through that goblin ... however evil he was ... well, I've had some dreams about it that are disturbing."

"Harrowing tales, hmmm? No, not so much. The fey took care of me in that I was raised in the woods and was taught kindness, but I was not taught weakness. So, it was a sort of 'tough love.' I had to find ways to survive on my own once I learned to hunt, forage, and build a shelter. It was only when times were really hard that my forest-friends would come to lend a hand. I'm not an adventurer, so that's as harrowing as I've gotten. Living in the Tickwood here, I was actually lucky to be entirely distanced from the Unpleasantness of five years ago."

Dušana enjoys the hunt, and gives the noble any tips or pointers for hunting he might need later. With this hunt and the death of his dog in the attack, it is obvious he loves to hunt. She is quite taken by Ameiko as a person. The woman's exotic beauty, grace, and skill is once again touching higher circles.

If Aldern is any kind of gentleman, he'll escort her home. She asks his manservants to stay back a distance once they get near her area. Now, if he seems to be gentlemanly and simply wants to drop her on the step, fine. If he wants a kiss, she'll kiss him and it will be passionate.

However ... if she can lead him to a ring of toadstools she knows of nearby, she will. It is her turn to take the lead if she does, and unless he objects she will slip off her bodice and let fall fall her clothes, and then ... if he's willing and she truly hopes he is .... she'll make love to him with great vigor. Animals do as they do without ridiculous mores such as marriage, but her sapient nature allows it to be more creative and wonderful.

Of course, she should've used that day's Wisdom bonus somewhere, because she just made love to a man ... on the ground .... under a (What kind of moon? Please say full.) full moon ... in a faerie ring of toadstools. Can anyone say, "fertility rites?" What happens, happens, but she is so infatuated with this man she truly believes that in just one day she has learned to love him.

She'll respect his ability to leave if it is still night, and it is autumn and probably cold. But she is willing to make a fire for them to spend the rest of the night together. Nonetheless, it is autumn and perhaps he should go. She'll give him a ribbon or other devotional to take with him on his trip to Magnimar.
    Current Games

16. - Top - End - #46

Spoiler: Birth
    Show
    "Such exotic birth ... Varisian and Elven. Proof of your insight and spirituality."

Spoiler: Fey Foundling & Ley Lines
    Show
    "Fascinating. Stories exist of babies given up - or even stolen - by creatures of the older world and the forest. I always thought them to be just that. Stories. No doubt your life holds a great destiny in store. To see what cannot be seen or sensed, to be one with the land, and insight into the future. I am good at reading people, being one with parties, and insight into the future of politics. I don't know that I am much more than that."

Spoiler: Adventuring
    Show
    "Oh, but to watch you when you saved me, rescued me. It was like a dance, and your white hair was as clouds soft atop while your scythe stormed below. But now, you are a blooded goblin-slayer. With all of your gifts, how can fortune and fate - two things you know well - not find you?"

Spoiler: Death & Promise
    Show
    "I understand," he says softly. "I nearly killed a man in a duel, but a priest was on hand and saved him in the nick of time. It was something I had to come to terms with ... what if I actually had killed a man?

"I am so sorry I was such a coward, but in truth the very nature of goblins are terrifying to me because of stories my governess would read me when I was young. You must think me and utter dolt. I promise you, Dušana Essert, if every you are near and are in need of my sword - be it ever so unpracticed - I shall leak my life's blood to the ground to repay you. Even then, had you not saved me, I blush to admit that I was so taken by you when I first saw you that I would brave a hundred goblins to get one more chance to see your beauty."

You and Aldern enjoy the feast with Ameiko, and take to each other fairly well, and already she is like a sister.

After the feast, in taking you home, he is restless. He is out of sorts as to leave you with a kiss, but you solve that issue as you lead him to your private bower in the forest. Since you like to drink in the sights and senses of your forest, you usually move about casually with your spirit sight. The fey know your mind, and brownies and grigs come out to fluff up the turf and grass in the ring, and a dryad even makes sure the vegetation is especially verdant and soft.

You kiss him madly as you both struggle to get the rest of your clothes (and mainly his) off, which masks the sound of a pixie consecrating the ground for fertility as the full moon looks down through a thin veil of mist. It is the most amazing experience you have ever enjoyed. Pain at first, and there are some issues that are resolved at first; he is incredibly understanding. He doesn't say, but you know, that he is a man of the world; but you don't say, and he knows, that you are a virgin. He is gentle and strong, measured and wild, compassionate and bestial.

When both of you are entirely spent, and he can barely stay conscious, he calls for his horse that already had camping equipment for "any occasion he might need." The two of you spend the night in a wonderful afterglow aside the small fire you make, and drift off into a thick, wonderful sleep. Sometimes, you are plagued by strange dreams and portents, but your half-remembered dreams the next day will be of bliss.

You give him a string of beads, decoration for your hair that you wear near your ear. It has no intrinsic cost, not really. But it was left as a gift for you by some unknown fey in your bower when you were a teenager, and now it is a love token for this man. I imagine that between the both of you there will be the "I wish you didn't have to go/ that I could stay" bit, but he has business in Magnimar and he must go. He claims he will write sheets and sheets to you, every day, and is sure to give you directions for letters.

"I shall return, Dušana Essert, and if I the stars see that it might be so, and that my family might approve, perhaps one day you might be known as Lady Dušana Foxglove."

He will give you a fine necklace, give you a heroic bending down kiss-from his-horse, and ride off.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-09-29 at 08:52 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SWWOOOOONNNN!!!

I can barely think straight (or possibly even walk straight) in walking to the cottage. I will bounce around all giddy, but pull out my Harrow deck right away. I'd like to do a full out Harrow reading: "Will Aldern Foxglove and I be wed?"
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-09-29 at 09:19 PM.
    Current Games

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The first draw is definitely about love, so Charisma. There is a possibility of CON for home, but I think that is more post-marriage.

Dušana pulls the nine crowns from the deck, and shuffles them.
    Spoiler: Draw
    Show
    (1d9)[1]
    She pulled The Empty Throne.
    Spoiler: The Empty Throne
    Show
    The Empty Throne (lawful good, Charisma) has a sense of loss that is palpable. The ghost signifies that those who are gone will always be with us. They taught us important lessons, if only we choose to listen. This card can bring information from a far-off or ancient source.
    While an excellent card for her in general, Dušana is very confused by this card. "Was there someone I held a crush for that I don't remember? Does this deal with my father; he didn't teach me any life lessons. I know some of the fey are no longer here, but the vast majority will long outlive me. Perhaps it means that I will need to learn more before I am ready. More questions than answers; but I knew that.

"Oh, it makes sense that this is harder for me to read myself than somebody else. It so makes me want to bias the result.

"Oh! I and Alvern need to learn more about each other before we rush headlong into marriage! Too many weddings have been too quick before, and those 'ghosts of the past' are doomed marriages."

Now it's time for the actual spread. She puts the card and the other back in the Harrow and shuffles them all. She the lays the spread. She lays down the positive, unclear, and negative cards in order of past, present, and future.

Here we go ...
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-09-29 at 10:15 PM.
    Current Games

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Positive Past (LG)
    Show
    (1d6)[1], (1d9)[9]

Spoiler: Unclear Past (LN)
    Show
    (1d6)[3], (1d9)[4]

Spoiler: Negative Past (LE)
    Show
    (1d6)[6], (1d9)[4]

Spoiler: Positive Present (NG)
    Show
    (1d6)[5], (1d9)[7]

Spoiler: Unclear Present (N)
    Show
    (1d6)[5], (1d9)[1]

Spoiler: Negative Present (NE)
    Show
    (1d6)[6], (1d9)[6]

Spoiler: Positive Future (CG)
    Show
    (1d6)[4], (1d9)[2]

Spoiler: Unclear Future (CN)
    Show
    (1d6)[6], (1d9)[9]

Spoiler: Negative Future (CE)
    Show
    (1d6)[3], (1d9)[4]
    Current Games

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Negative Future (CE) is a repeat.
    Spoiler: Reroll
    Show

(1d6)[3], (1d9)[4]

(1d6)[1], (1d9)[6]
    (1d6)[2], (1d9)[9]
    (1d6)[3], (1d9)[5]
    (1d6)[6], (1d9)[9]
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-09-29 at 10:39 PM.
    Current Games

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Cards & Breakdown, Tossing Out Spurious Cards
    Show
    Positive Past (LG) = The Cyclone (O)
    The Cyclone (chaotic evil, Strength) Dusana’s intelligence, not connection to nature, has done more to define her and her ability to tear through problems.

Unclear Past (LN) = The Brass Dwarf (T)
    The Brass Dwarf (lawful neutral, Constitution) shows an azer who represents invulnerability to a current danger. Although others might fall, he remains hale and strong. The Brass Dwarf can also mean a failure or dark fate for one, which in turn might save all others around him from a greater danger.

Negative Past (LE) = The Marriage (P)
    The Marriage (lawful neutral, Charisma) shows that a union might bring forth new power from both parties, or it might be a ruinous joining
    of that which should never have been united. Once wedded, the two cannot be parted. This is the card of permanent change. Either way, actions have already taken place that are immutable and likely unpleasant.

Total Past Analysis: “What we did in my bower cannot be undone, but we are both intelligent and forebearing so whatever is to come is something I can handle.”

Negative Present (NE) = The Betrayal (T)
    The Betrayal (neutral evil, Charisma) is selfishness incarnate. Envy twists the spirit and leads ultimately to devastation. It can also indicate a person whose loveliness hides an evil heart. Beware Aldern, for he may actually be terrible underneath, even if that is just being self-centered and not truly loing. Perhaps that envy may also come from herself, so she has to be very careful to give him space or being the terror.

Total Present Analysis: “This is truly terrifying. I am worried that he will betray me in Magnimar as he is far from me.

Positive Future (CG) = The Wanderer (P)
    The Wanderer (neutral good, Intelligence) is a collector. Perhaps it is Aldern’s ability to see past the person that the rest of Sandpoint has “discarded” and to make good use of her.

Unclear Future (CN) = The Liar (P)
    The Liar (chaotic evil, Charisma) is love at its most treacherous. This is not the love that moves mountains, this is the love that rips the heart in two and causes lovers to leap to their deaths. This lamia can mean obsession, unrequited passion, or doomed love.
    Oh, no!

Negative Future (CE) = (P)
    The Uprising (chaotic neutral, Strength) represents being caught in the clutches of something much more powerful than you. It is an overwhelming strength that often crushes what comes in contact with it. The crown held high signifies an overthrowing of a leader of some sort. In the spread, it indicates a force much stronger than Dusana.

Total Future Analysis: Aldern will use me to make me believe he loves me. Again, he will “use” me.

Totaled Reading: "With my wits and will I have overcome issues before. Aldern will not be a good husband, and will definitely lead me to heartbreak and ultimate doom."

Dušana has a tremendous cry, running off to her bower to be alone. She will cherish the time they had together, but she knows that the cards have spoken time and again that she is doomed. Since her first drawn card was a Crown, she'll have CHA-based bonus.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-09-29 at 11:06 PM.
    Current Games

22. - Top - End - #52

Celiss is annoyed as can be. Though she is a little over a decade younger than Dušana, she is human and would have gone through this phase ... if she hadn't been dedicated in a monastery studying unarmed combat and magic. Still, she lets Dušana have her illusions about her "magic" cards.

Little time to lament, however.
    Spoiler: Monster in the Closet
    Show
    Alergast and Amele Barrett are a typical Sandpoint family, with two children (little Aeren and baby Verah) and a loyal dog named Petal. They were present at the Swallowtail Festival, where Aeren saw a goblin light a cat on fire and then caper around the burning remains - the poor boy hasn't really been the same since. Every night, his howls of terror send Petal into a barking fit, and when his parents investigate, Aeren claims a goblin came out of his closet. Alergast checked the closet dutifully but found nothing, and ever since the kid's complaints about the "closet goblin" have grown more and more tiresome to his parents. Yesterday, Alergast threatened to make Aeren sleep in the woodshed if he couldn't learn to "be a man" and sleep through an entire night without telling stories.

All of this is told by a tearful Amele Barrett; she approaches Dušana's cottage in a panic, clutching baby Verah to her chest with one hand and clinging to the back of Aeren's shirt with the other. Celiss calls for Dušana, to make sure she understands what's happening.

Amele goes on to say that, last night, Alergast didn't go to soothe Aeren when he had his night terrors. But then, a few moments later, they heard poor Petal cry out in pain and Aeren's screams turned shrill. This time, Aeren wasn't having nightmares. Amele pauses, takes a breath, and then shows you Aeren's arms. They're covered with fresh little bites ... about the size a goblin might make.

When Alergast burst into the room, he found a goblin crouched on his son's chest. Petal was dead, a knife deep in his ear, and the goblin was frantically trying to chew off Aeren's arm. Alergast attacked the goblin and chased it back into the closet, where it clambered into a hole it had cleverly hidden under an old fur. Alergast flew into a rage, and as he started tearing apart the closet in an attempt to get to the goblin, Amele panicked and fled the house with her children to seek your aid.

Celiss says simply, "We'll look into it. Dušana, arm, arm and out! We have a family to save and a goblin to kill, if Alergast hasn't done so already."

When you get to the Barrett house, you find it disturbingly silent. Upon reaching Aeren's room, you find Alergast Barrett on his belly, having crawled into the closet. He doesn't move, and Celiss has you cast stabilize on him, just to be sure. Neither of you are healers.

You pull back Alergast from the closet, and find him quite dead, the flesh of his face and upper torso eaten away. An instant later, an insane goblin shrieks in rage at its stolen dinner and leaps out of the hole to attack. Dušana is ready for trouble, but Celiss is a little taken aback.

S1T13: The goblin takes a quick look at the both of you, but for Celiss he seems to have a deep hatred and lunges at her with a crude knife that looks like a shiv, hitting her in the left thigh with all of might, but only doing 1 mod. It's as if he struck into here and yet the blow was absorbed minus a very little bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, you ran Celiss, so you should remember her DR 5/ good or magic.

S1T7: Dušana, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-09-30 at 01:56 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana is shocked, steps back, and casts mage armor on herself.
    Current Games

24. - Top - End - #54

S1T7: Dušana is shocked, steps back, and casts mage armor on herself.

End Surprise Round, Begin Round One ...

R1T20: It doesn't take long for Celiss to regain her bearings and to get into a defensive technique. She begins casting a spell, not heeding the goblin's failed attempt to exploit an opening. She touches her finger tips and a gout of flame erupts forth to burn it for 14 fire. Clothes and other things in the closet begin to burn. You can take a FRA to extinguish things.

The goblin has fallen.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Use Aeren's bedsheets or whatever I can find to put out the fire.
    Current Games

26. - Top - End - #56

As you put the fire out, Celiss draws the goblin out into the room and breaks its neck to be sure. Celiss calls down to Amele and says, "The goblin is dead."

Amele thanks you both profusely until she discovers her husband's fate, whereupon she has a complete breakdown. Fortunately, the commotion summons Sheriff Hemlock, who takes his customary grim expression.

"Thank you both," he says to the two of you. "I'll arrange for the family to stay at the cathedral for the next two days while Alergast is buried."

Amele's sister from Magnimar soon arrives in Sandpoint to take the distraught family back south to live with her. You are present when she collects the broken family, and she shoots you both a cold glare and mutters, "Too bad you heroes weren't a little more thorough in your 'heroing.'"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana doesn't know what to say. She knows there was nothing she could've done to prevent this murder, but as one of the town's two new "heroines" she feels failure much more keenly.

She goes back to her bower, and cries even harder. One goblin wasn't hard to kill, and the raid failed miserably. But what if there were more? Much, much more?

And in her own self-absorbed sorrow, another emotion creeps in when she thinks of the creature in the closet that ate a father's face and tried to eat a young boy's arm off .... fear.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2013-09-30 at 02:25 AM.
    Current Games

28. - Top - End - #58

Spoiler: Grim News from Mosswood
    Show
    Spoiler: Hemlock Asks for Help
    Show
    The following day, Sheriff Hemlock seeks out the two of you. He asks you both to join himself, Mayor Deverin, and a person he names as Shalelu at the town hall, explaining he's got some news that might interest them. Celiss, eager to prove herself to the upper echelon of the local law, has you come with her.

The meeting takes place in a comfortable office on the second floor of the town hall. Hemlock introduces both of you to the mayor (Kendra Deverin) and she gratefully thanks both of you for the help you provided Sandpoint during the raid.

Hemlock introduces Shalelu to the PCs as an “unofficial member of Sandpoint’s town guard” (an introduction that causes the elven woman to smirk) and the PCs to Shalelu as “Sandpoint’s newest crop of heroes.” Hemlock explains that Shalelu has been a thorn in the side of the local goblin tribes for years, and that few in the region know more about them than her. He goes on to recap her report that Sandpoint hasn’t been the only place in the region that’s had goblin troubles. In short, there’s been an increase in goblin-related raids along the Lost Coast Road, particularly in the dale between Nettlewood and Mosswood. Only a day ago, a farm south of Mosswood was burnt to the ground by a group of goblins. Shalelu was thankfully nearby, and while the farm couldn’t be saved, she did rescue the family and drive off the goblins; the family is staying at a nearby farm for now, but the goblin problem is obviously not going away.

At this point, Hemlock cedes the floor to Shalelu, asking her to tell you what she told him.

Spoiler: Shalelu's Report
    Show
    “Belor’s told me of your work against the goblins—well done. I’ve dedicated the last several years of my life to keeping them from causing too much trouble around these parts, but they’re tenacious and fecund little runts. Like weeds that bite.

“Anyway, there’s five major goblin tribes in the region, and, traditionally, they’re pretty good at keeping each other in line with intertribal squabbles and the like. Yet from what I’ve been able to piece together, members of all five tribes were involved in the raid on Sandpoint. A fair amount of the Mosswood tribe goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and there was a lot of chatter about the ‘longshanks’ who killed so many of them. Now that I’ve met you, it seems obvious from their descriptions who they were talking about. Seems like you’ve made an impression.

“In any event, the fact that the five tribes are working together disturbs me. Goblin tribes don’t get along unless they’ve got something big planned, and big plans require big bosses. I’m afraid that someone’s moved in on the goblins and organized them. And judging by these recent raids, what they’re organizing seems like bad news for all of us.”

Spoiler: End of Meeting
    Show
    After Shalelu’s speech, Sheriff Hemlock announces that he’s taking a few of his men south to Magnimar to see about securing additional soldiers to station at Sandpoint for a few weeks, at least until the extent of the goblin threat can be determined. While he’s out of town, he’s asked Shalelu to sniff around Shank’s Wood, Devil’s Platter, and other places where goblins live to see if she can discover anything else about what’s going on. He would also like the heroines to maintain a public presence in Sandpoint over the next few days, if they don’t mind. “The locals seem to have taken to you,” he says, “And seeing you around town will do a lot for keeping worries down over the next few days. Even you, Ms. Essert, are finally gaining acceptance for your strange gifts."

Celiss is more than professional and accepting of the responsibility, and will need your help, not to mention for the people to see you more and the people of your own town to see you in a position of responsibility entrusted by the mayor, the sheriff, and the locals who know Shalelu came in earlier than expected (which spells ill when it comes to goblins).

Once the meeting is over, Shalelu asks to join you both for dinner at whatever inn you happen to be staying ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2013-10-01 at 12:49 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup. Dušana's definitely up for this task. Though, she is a little piqued at Sheriff Hemlock's parting statement. Condescending, much?

"Shalelu, the town itself has traditionally not accepted me unless they wanted a potion or a fortune read. I do not fully understand my arcane powers, but I am branded a witch. If that's what they call me, that's what I am. I have gotten my father's Varisian birthright for fortune telling though. Also, I am a menhir savant ... similar to a druid, but less of a connection with animals so much as the magic inherent in the land.

"But he asked us to be a presence, especially while you're gone. I have enough for myself for the Rusty Dragon for some time, though I don't intend to reside there. Celiss, will that do?"
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #60

"I'm not sure I understand," says Shalelu. "Do you have a place outside town? Since Hemlock is still here, I am sure we can enjoy the peace of nature rather than the dirt of town. Sure, I have a room at the Rusty Dragon for free, but staying at someone's house in the wilderness (not so much farms) feels much better.

"Also, I am interested in these gifts you have, to know how best they may be employed - just as I am interested in what you have to offer, Celiss."
    Show