New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default A Tangled Web We Weave (IC)

Prelude, RY 100

It's been a busy night at the office. The tents of the Crimson Panoply glow like paper lanterns with the light of lamps and firegems and Essence, beneath a starry twilight; the city of the gods never grows truly dark. In the arch of the heavens above, a baleful crimson spark burns bloodily triumphant. Mars leads, for the present, in the Games.

In the first moment you've had to yourself in several hours, a familiar yet unexpected voice calls your name.

The man turning the corner from one of the battle-fields looks rather out of place in this setting. His flyaway hair is a faded azure, sticking out at all angles; his weathered bronze skin speaks of long journeys beneath the Southern sun. He is dressed in a flowing robe suitable for the desert, woven of undyed cotton; even here, amid war-gods more concerned for lethality than aesthetics, his attire appears almost garishly plain. His clear blue eyes have an absent quality to them, like his mild pleasant expression.

All in all, he looks like a mouse among wolves. (Which goes to show that appearances mislead. Or alternatively, that mice are not to be underestimated.) But you have known Aumin of the True Heart for much of your life, and seen his blue eyes focus and sharpen, felt the weight of his silences. He's been absent from Yu-Shan more often recently: business, generally unspecified, in the South.

But he is present now, and hardly silent, as he waves to you cheerfully, and strides over. "Lotus. I'm glad I caught you here. How's work going?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to make up what you were working on, if you wish to talk about it. This is about to be an Invitation, but feel free to chat first.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-02 at 01:51 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A Tangled Web We Weave (IC)

"Pretty well, actually." Lotus says easily, pushing the sheathe of papers he'd been studying away from him on the desk. A quick glance at the topmost piece reveals a meticulously edged graph and several lines of neat text. "We think there's a Terrestrial bloodline running through the Sarcin tribe, a migratory bunch currently headed for the southern coast. They've had a spate of unexpected Exaltations recently anyway, and they've promptly gone raiding against their nearest neighbors. Which, of course, means that I have to double-check all the adjusted forecasts for the regional conflicts."

The young Shieldbearer wears a comfortable cotton outfit reminiscent of a cattle drovers, over which is an open buff jacket of quality leather. On his feet are chunky walking boots, which stand revealed as he props both feet up on the desk and grins at his Sifu. "I'd offer you a drink, but I'm afraid my salary doesn't stretch to any particular extravagance just yet. So, what is it that makes you glad to have caught me here right now, anyway? I don't think we have anything scheduled."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Aumin steps into the office, pushing the door half-closed behind him. "Sarcin tribe? Where are they at the moment?" He walks over to look down at the forecasts, taking in the graph with a single brief glance. "Not related, but I picked up a few interesting things, this last trip - some poetry, some musical scores. Remind me to show them to you sometime..."

He shakes his head, and turns his gaze back to his student.

"But that's not why I was looking for you. It's nothing official - but I just got back into town, and Chejop wants to chat."

The Joybringer's smile is faintly impish as he delivers that - perfectly deadpan - line. After a moment he adds, "You're invited to sit in, if it wasn't clear from context."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aumin calls Chejop by his first name, at least in private and informal settings. Pretty much nobody born after the Uprising does so.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

"Huh." Lotus says idly, tilting his head back to peer at the ceiling of his office for a brief moment. "That one actually came close."

He is, of course, referring to the long-standing game of sorts that Sifu and student like to play. There are few rules, and no standing record of who has the most points, but the general objective has always remained the same - cause your opponent to lose his composure. Bonus points for exceptionally entertaining reactions on the other person's part, and for doing so while remaining properly deadpan.

(Lotus appreciates, in a half-realised way, that his Sifu likely has ulterior motives for participating in such an immature competition. The leading theory is that it better prepares him for life among the gilded barbs of heavenly society.)

A properly detached response thus formulated and delivered, Lotus calmly tilts his chair back further, almost crashing to the floor before managing to roll over in such an instinctively coordinated way as to place him on his feet and the chair back under the desk, without disturbing so much as a single sheathe of paperwork. He makes it look easy.

"Well, lead on then. Assuming you don't want to keep him waiting in order to score some obscure political or philosophical point."

Spoiler
    Show
    I like to imagine that when one is a Chosen of Battles, and thus has a kind of fate-mandated gift for athletics, that such stunts become fairly common-place. Also, Lotus is a playful sort.

We will be able to tell that the campaign has reached it's penultimate stages when he finally drops the act and starts taking everything seriously.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"You may want to lose the hiking boots beforehand," Aumin advises, rather dryly. Of course, this is coming from a man who's just tracked three different colors of sand all over the polished red stone floor of the young Shieldbearer's office. If he approves his student's composure, it barely shows; just the faintest crease of a smile. "Anys and Chejop both prefer a little more formality than I do."

"Go make what preparations you think necessary. We're meeting at the Pavilion of Lingering Fragrance, in -" His eyes go distant for a moment, "- forty-seven minutes, now. I'll see you outside the teahouse."

With that, Aumin turns back to the door, humming a soft and rather haunting tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's anything you want to do in-between, let me know. If you want etiquette information beyond common knowledge, roll me an Int+Socialize check and tell me what you want to know. You are aware that this is probably acting as an entrance exam for your sifu's faction.

On anything but a botch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This meeting is probably at the "professional reception" level of dress code. The conventional choice would be to dress fairly smartly. Nothing is stopping you from showing up in casual attire, but you may need a certain degree of personal poise and self-assurance to pull it off, and it's possible you might get some raised eyebrows from the Elders by doing so. Or you might not! You've heard a lot of stories about Chejop and Anys, and you've met them both, but you don't know them well.

The Pavilion of Lingering Fragrance is a famous and ancient teahouse and garden. It favors elegant simplicity and natural beauty; its grounds are quite extensive. Given its location, and the competition for real estate in Yu-Shan, that spaciousness is a stronger sign of its owners' wealth and influence than any garish jewel-studded decor. Your sifu has taken you there occasionally on special occasions, to enjoy the music and conversation in the main room, and stroll through the gardens. The teahouse also has a number of private gardens and tea rooms, but you have probably not been inside any of them. (They are extremely expensive, even by the standards of Yu-Shan, and some are reserved on a permanent basis.)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-02 at 05:39 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler
    Show
    I have made a discovery! When you have a job, finding the free time to write lengthly PbP posts is hard.

Lotus gives a pointed look at his Sifu's own distinctly less than formal attire, before shaking his head and sauntering out of the room.

"I'll be there."

-8-

And, precisely forty-five minutes later, so he is. The relatively short time frame does not especially allow for elaborate preparations - no visits to heavenly tailors for uniquely stunning outfits, no quick checks with various fellow agents of Fate and friendly gods to determine appropriate etiquette or pick up interesting rumors... barely enough time to change clothes and quickly inspect his appearance in a mirror.

On the other hand, though, no time to work oneself into a small knot of terrified nerves either. Lotus makes an art out of appearing supremely unconcerned with anything the world might throw his way, but even he has to admit to some apprehension about the coming event.

In the end, he settled on what the Realm generally referred to as the 'Patrician' look. A sensible outfit of pale green silk edged with silver thread, designed with the sole aim of appearing rich and successful without conveying the arrogant bluster that might irritate a more powerful neighbor. Understated elegance, all the way - definitely his preferred style.

Of course, there are many possible messages one could interpret from such a choice of appearance, and Lotus has no doubt that at least a few of them will occur to those he is about to meet with. It might be interesting to see how they react.

Oh, who is he kidding, of course it will be interesting. This little chat is quite likely going to determine the course of his life for the next several centuries at the least. It is almost impossible, in light of that, to dismiss any of it as unimportant...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Aumin is waiting at the flower-wreathed stone arch that marks the entrance to the teahouse's grounds. It is set partway up the slope of a hill - in Creation, it might be called a mountain. Either way it affords an excellent view of the brilliant many-colored skyline of the city, stretching out in all directions. The neighborhood is residential, wide streets paved in green and white jade winding between the luxurious manses of prominent gods.

The Elder Chosen of Serenity looks Lotus over, and smiles faintly. He seems to have gotten rid of most of the sand, and he's replaced the robe with a loosely belted light brown gi over shirt and trousers. The fabric is still plain, but finely-woven, and holds soft subtly varying shades of color. That said, his hair is still a mess.

"Good," Aumin says softly, as he steps through the curtain of trailing flower-strands; they release a delicate perfume, honey and vanilla and the scent of earth after rain. "Now, your role here is to prepare and serve the tea. You're not expected to speak, unless you're asked a direct question." A slight twitch of his lips. "Pay attention to what's said. There will be a test."

Everything is a test. Aumin used to say that often, early in Lotus' training.

The front part of the garden is a series of terraces leading up to the main teahouse, small streams trickling down them in a glittering cascade. It is remarkably quiet here, despite the city below; the soft silvery echoes of wind-chimes can be heard, and the lilting song of a nightingale.

Aumin takes a winding pebbled path, one that he has not previously pointed out. Ordinary pebbles, such as one might find in any village in Creation, not the chips of polished jade common in Yu-Shan's parks and streets. It curves around the flank of the hill, and upward.

A minute or two of brisk walking through a cypress grove brings the pair of Sidereals to an open glade and a small lake, its unruffled clarity reflecting the stars. The grass here is a pale golden color, as if bleached by winter, whispering dryly in the wind. Beds of reeds are planted around the lake, and small trees, skeins of delicate white flowers hanging from their stretching branches. A small tea room with a thatched roof is built a little way out over the water.

The older Sidereal gives Lotus a last faint encouraging smile, and leads the way inside.

The room is as simple inside as out. Five large windows admit the glow of the city and the stars, supplemented by lamps at the corners of the room - mundane, not Essence-fueled. Smooth mats of woven rushes cover the floor, except for the tea-hearth built into the center. An alcove near the door holds a scroll, the Old Realm calligraphy slightly faded.

Tea bowls, several small urns of tea leaves, and the implements of the tea ceremony are arranged next to the hearth. However, of more immediate importance are the two people seated on the mats.

The oldest Exalt in the world (well, perhaps barring some half-chimera Lunar ravening at the edges of the Wyld) looks up at the newcomers. "Ah, Aumin. Welcome."

Chejop Kejak's voice is a warm and flawless tenor, despite his wrinkled face and gray-and-white hair, tied back in its usual tail. He is dressed even more simply than Aumin: in swathing robes of green and white, without adornment.

"We're still waiting on Holok," Anys Syn adds, a faint note of impatience in her voice. The Elder Shieldbearer is wearing a long elegant mantle, ivory silk patterned with a spray of flame and flowers coalescing into a dragon of fire. Her dark hair is bound up with intricately carved combs the color of bone. Lotus will note the iron calluses on her hands, the way her fingers move slightly even in idleness, reminiscent of nothing so much as the twitching of a feline predator's tail.

"You should know better by now, Anys, than to expect punctuality from Shajah. I expect he will be late to his own funeral. But no matter; it will give Aumin's student time to make the tea." The oldest Exalt in the world smiles - encouragingly? - at Lotus. His piercing green eyes sweep over the young Chosen of Battles; the briefest of glances, but still, not much escapes that gaze. "Unfolding Lotus of Gentle Summer, if my memory serves?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If you had more to say or do during the walk over, let me know and we can go back a little - or if it doesn't require a response from Aumin, just describe it in your post.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-03 at 11:10 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

"It does, sir." Lotus says politely. Not that there was much chance of the elder Sidereal being wrong, of course - Chejop Kejak's memory and attention to detail is infamous among those who know of him. "Though typically, 'Lotus' suffices."

The tea ceremony is one of Creation's oldest and most respected institutions, and there is no way Lotus could have possibly passed his training without knowing how to conduct it. There are many hundreds of variations, of course, depending on possible circumstances, but it is perhaps for the best if he sticks to the simpler versions for this. So he settles down and begins making the tea, mindful of his Sifu's warning.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Lotus it will be, then."

Aumin closes the reed door and walks over to sit down cross-legged next to Anys Syn. The three Elders turn their attention to each other, although Lotus is uncomfortably aware that any deviation from the proper ceremony will be instantly assessed and catalogued by three pairs of appraising star-speckled eyes.

"So?" Anys asks after a moment.

"Need we wait?" Chejop's voice is quiet.

Aumin sighs. "No, unfortunately."

Anys' hands grow still. She folds them together. "I'm sorry. I know you were close."

Aumin just shakes his head slightly. For a moment there is silence, except for the faint hissing of the heating water.

"Will you...?"

"I spoke with Lusa, who saw him depart - since then, nothing. Not even from the Lunars, or at least none who are willing to talk." The Chosen of Serenity shakes his head more firmly. "His daughter is a gifted child, but impetuous. She won't serve, if you were considering it."

"How do you judge his current replacement?" Only mild curiosity touches Chejop Kejak's tone.

"Likely much as you do, Chejop. Ambitious. Moderately competent, but not capable of accurate self-assessment; this position is beyond him."

"So. Resentment. Both ways?" The Shieldbearer's voice is clinical.

"Yes. Best that way, I think. Lusa has a dream, one worth pursuing against the odds..."

"Odds that Wong will ensure it faces?" A small rueful smile touches Anys' lips.

"Stability. Lusa will channel discontent." Aumin shrugs, half apologetically. His hand traces a small coiling symbol on the mat. "After the God Wars..."

"Necessity," Chejop corrects gently. After a moment, both Anys and Aumin incline their heads to the Chosen of Secrets.

There is silence for a little while. All three of them turn to watch the tea being prepared. Lotus' hands move deftly, with no wasted motion - and despite his choice of a simple ceremony, with more than a little artistry. Elegance in simplicity, as with his choice of clothing.

The delicate aroma of the uncrinkling leaves is wafting warmly through the tea room as the reed door swings abruptly open, letting in the breeze off the lake and a dark-haired, violet-eyed man clad in mail and fur and leathers, and smelling like he hasn't bathed in at least a month.

He groans at the scene. "Maidens, I'm too late."

"You are certainly late," Anys returns. "And you look and smell like you stepped out of an Icewalker camp - or perhaps a costume party at the Cerulean Lute. Was Yaogin in the mood for exotica?"

"Hah. Very funny. And in my absence you're having the boy brew that -" The newcomer steps forward and snatches up the urn of tea leaves, reading the elegant characters written on the side. "Chejop, for the love of Venus, why?"

"I enjoy Silver Needle. So does Anys. So does Aumin." Chejop Kejak is not smiling. There is no hint of a reaction in his expression at all, in fact.

"Tastes like grass in boiled water," the Chosen of Endings grumbles. Despite this condemnation, he pulls off his sword-belt and drops it in the corner of the tea room, then walks forward to seat himself between Chejop and Aumin.

"Here, boy, once you've finished with the grass tea, brew us some of this." He fishes in the noisome pockets of his greatcoat and comes out with a handful of long, tightly twisted greenish-black leaves, which he presses into Lotus' hands.

"Shajah, you realize that taste of bitter nails is not intended as an encomium, yes?" Aumin's voice is amused.

"It's good for you. Clears the head."

"You would know," Anys mutters.

Shajah waves a hand at the Chosen of Battles, and focuses on Aumin. "How long have you been back from the South?"

"About an hour and a half," Aumin answers evenly.

"... ah. Sorry." The Reckoner glances away. "If it was good news, I suppose...?"

"Yes. So, no."

Shajah reaches out to clasp Aumin's shoulder for a moment. "You tried."

"It does not help to know my best was insufficient." For a moment Lotus' sifu looks very weary. "But it'll function, still. Just... not as well."

"Many things aren't as they once were," Shajah agrees quietly, and seems to miss the brief flash of something not easy to describe in Chejop's emerald eyes.

"So tell us better news, Shajah. How fares the Realm?"

"I'm sure Anys and Chejop can answer that better. Maybe even the kid here." Shajah grins over at Lotus. "But get your cups of grass tea, and I'll tell you what's been happening in one household, anyway..."

"Was Py right?" Anys' question is sharp.

"Short answer - yes. Long answer - yes, but not the whole story. And yes, I banished the damn thing."

"Tea would be welcome," Chejop interjects. "Lotus, if you would pour?"

Anys settles back, although her fingers are twitching again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Parsing conversations between people who've known each other for millennia, have a huge amount of shared context, and are extremely good at reading each others' body language seems like it might be a frustrating experience You may roll Int + Lore, Int + Occult and Int + War to figure out exactly what they're talking about, and Perception+Socialize/Investigation for general reading of emotional states.

I'm going to pause for a moment here in case you want to write a reaction post. If you would rather I just continue, let me know.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-04 at 06:19 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Lotus doesn't say a word as he listens to the conversation, though one eyebrow does arch slightly at the alternate brew the Reckoner evidently prefers. At Chejop's request ('order' implies a much more formal setting and chain of command, and great stock is placed in appearances in Yu-Shan), he moves smoothly to pour the tea for each in turn, starting with Anys Syn and working his way around.

He doesn't hurry, though. Hurrying invites mistakes, and there is no need to take the risk.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm good with just parsing that myself, actually. As I understand it... they're talking about Swan Dragon, the lost Censor of the South. 'Wong' would be Wong Bongerok, his ambitious replacement, and Lusa would be the founder of the Court of the Orderly Flame. It's fairly clear, though I will grant I did have to read it pretty carefully.

Feel free to continue. Rather fun to read, actually.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Once everyone has their tea - Chejop breathes in the scent with a small smile of simple pleasure, in contrast to Shajah, who rolls his eyes and takes a polite sip with a look of strained tolerance - the Reckoner continues.

"It was Sondok, Anys, as you guessed."

"Fools," the Shieldbearer mutters. "The Kalisi girl?"

"Her mother, actually."

"I'd thought Ascera had better sense."

"Their lands were ruined by the Sword. Ascera may have only been fifteen when the Contagion struck but that's old enough to remember what her family once was -" He looks around at the others; if there's sympathy in their eyes, Lotus cannot see it. Shajah sighs. "Look, I'm not defending her, but - ah, never mind."

"Did they have access to -"

"No." Shajah cuts Aumin off hastily, with a momentary glance at Lotus. "No. Fortunately. They recovered one of those damn tracts, with the ritual."

Anys puts a hand to her forehead and rubs at her eyes. "Tell me they were not that foolish."

"... sorry, Anys."

"What did they hope to gain?"

"Ah! More interesting. They were out of favor with Taras Chamin. They seemed to think they might use her power to gain leverage over him."

"Taras is no infernalist," Chejop says softly. "Unless you have something new...?"

"No, but he's ambitious." Shajah looks at Aumin, explains, "He didn't commit much of his strength in the last attempt against Lookshy, watched while the Empress' Guard was butchered. Fancies himself a daimyo, as his father was."

"Not a problem if it's isolated, we said last time," Anys says crisply. "So I presume it's not?"

"Vondy made a lot of friends during the Contagion. I suspected, before - but the Kalisi had gotten further, managed to acquire some documentary evidence. I took them back off Sondok before I sent her home." He pats his coat pocket, which rustles.

"All right, I'll put Py on it."

Shajah nods, but adds, "We'll need agents on the ground as well, as soon as Py finishes his analysis - or earlier. Nobody wants the Sword used again -"

"She would not -"

"Not a useful speculation," Chejop says, mildly. "We will ensure it does not reach that point."

There is, again, a silence as everyone sips at their tea, lost in their own thoughts.

"How are your new Charms coming, Anys?"

"Well," the Chosen of Battles says, shaking her head as she comes back out of her reverie. "The post-Contagion cohorts are starting to reach the point where they can help in research and development, although we still need more people. It would help if we didn't need to keep sending our best off to spread the good word. I'm leaning toward just stabilizing on cosmetic changes to the old Charms, to make the in-group distinction clear - they worked well enough for the Shogunate. Although so many of the recruits are so young... the Essence edge is hurting more than it helps, so I'm inclined to keep working on the variants that remove it."

"Hmm. Have you tried -"

Aumin leans over toward Anys, and the conversation becomes very technical for a while, with Chejop also interjecting here and there.

Shajah passes his cup to Lotus. "While those three chat about monasteries, how about you brew us some kuding? You might find you like it."

The tea-leaves, steeped in hot water, don't smell like... anything, really. The taste, though... bitter is right. Shajah drinks it with every evidence of enjoyment, and asks for more, and Anys takes a single cup, but Chejop and Aumin decline.

The conversation descends from the esoteric heights of Essence theory not long after that - although Anys does stand up to demonstrate one kata to Aumin. The kata doesn't look difficult, and she performs it as casually as a child clapping her hands, but turning it over in his mind afterward, Lotus cannot perceive the slightest imperfection or even potential weakness in the Elder's flowing motions.

The discussion subsides into the minor news and gossip of Yu-Shan, Anys and Chejop filling in Aumin and Shajah. One of the Celestial Lions has been accused of laxness in the pursuit of his duties, and there is a rumor that Golden Reverie might have an interest in the misdemeanor in question. Shining Pale Spire, the famed landscaper, has finally managed to get permission to remodel the Avenue of Dreaming Hyacinths, after a 140-year-long approvals process. New restaurants and theater companies with good reviews, and old favorites that have closed. The easy conversation of old friends, who can forget for an hour that the weight of the world rests on their shoulders.

Eventually Shajah stands up. "Well, we're out of kuding and my bed is calling."

"I recommend also listening to your bath's calling," Anys says dryly.

"I'll get to it! Anyway, I had a bath yesterday, the Caracal is in flood this time of year." He bows slightly to the others. "Aumin, Chejop, it was good to have this time to speak." He smiles briefly at Lotus. "Let me know if you develop a taste for kuding, lad." He retrieves his sword-belt, and saunters away into the night.

"I'm heading back to the office," Anys said, unfolding herself and standing with the same effortless grace she showed in her katas. "Aumin, will you accompany me? That idea about the excision might just work..."

"Of course, Anys. Gladly." Aumin scrambles to his feet. "Chejop, same time next week?"

"Until then." Chejop Kejak's smile is brief but warm.

And then Anys and Aumin are gone, and it is only Lotus and Chejop in the small room. The Oracle shows no sign of standing up.

"Will you stay a while, Lotus, and converse with an old man? Have a cup of tea - good tea, not that travesty Shajah drinks. I swear he does it simply to try to annoy me."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

"I can see why he likes it." Lotus admits, his first full sentence in over an hour. He does, however, pour some of the Silver Needle for himself and settles himself down into a comfortable position. "Not, perhaps, my favourite blend... but a bit of variety is important."

So, here we go. Let's see if I manage to avoid screwing this up massively. Not taking the opportunity to potentially jab at the man who just left should be a safe enough investment.

Also, that stuff does have a certain appeal. Might look into getting some more of it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Silver Needle tea is light and fragrant, with a slightly spicy aftertaste. Chejop Kejak looks briefly toward the window as he drinks, giving the younger Sidereal time to relax. (Or to tense up even further. One or the other.)

"Your sifu gives good reports of you," the Oracle says mildly, after a moment. "It is quite an honor to be instructed by him, you know. Aumin does not take many students."

"Has he told you much of the Age when the Solars ruled?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-04 at 09:03 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

"And I hope one day that it is considered a mark of prestige for him to be known as my Sifu." Lotus responds evenly, without a hint of shame. He is ambitious, of this there is no doubt. The only question is whether his ability can support that ambition, or will be outstripped by it.

"As for the First Age, yes, he has. And, of course, there are the standard texts we need to consult for training purposes." Lotus pauses for a few moments in contemplation. "It sounds like it was a glorious time. It also sounds like it was not worth the price."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"A worthy goal. All teachers should hope that one day their students will bring honor to their name, and then surpass them." The old Sidereal's voice is soft. His green eyes are... not. Piercing, it's said, and indeed it's easy to feel skewered by them.

"Not worth the price. What specific examples do you feel demonstrate that? Conversely, if it was glorious - what glories might have tempted you to call that price well paid?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-04 at 09:17 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

One edge of Lotus' mouth curls up into a slight smile as he meets Chejop's gaze. The Chosen of Battles have often been renowned for a confrontational attitude, and he actually feels strangely better at the sudden spike of challenging interest.

"My Sifu did mention there would be a test." he says quietly, holding the small cup of tea firmly in his hand but not drinking from it. "What would you have me say here, sir? I am no armchair general. I will not give an answer on such questions lightly, especially when I have only the benefit of hindsight and speak to one who lived through it."

A sip of the tea, measured and controlled. "It is enough for me to know that the decision was a difficult one, properly considered and then agreed to by an overwhelming majority of the Fellowship. It is enough that the plan worked. If you would speak philosophy over tea, I would ask that you chose a more recent and directly relevant topic."

But I wonder if you will...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Chejop Kejak raises an expressive white eyebrow, but smiles faintly. "It is said," the Oracle muses, after another sip of tea, "that those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Another sip. His voice is relaxed, untroubled. "Do you think the plan worked, past tense? That it's over and done? The gods who work beside you would disagree, and they would be right. The Vision of Bronze is a journey, not a destination reached, and on that journey - the principles that guided us then are not obsolete, nor irrelevant. They shape the decisions we make every day - and we in turn are shaped by what we choose to value, and the purpose we choose to serve."

He reaches out to briefly knock his cup against Lotus', as if in a toast. "You are defined, Shieldbearer, by what you choose to defend."

"If you want a more contemporary example... hmm. Why should we lend our strength to the Empress, and the Realm she is building?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

"Hmm. An interesting point." Lotus concedes, his expression thoughtful. "I suppose looking at the world as a mere series of discrete steps is less than wise. I shall bear that in mind for the future."

"As for the Realm... it is a tool. Perhaps the best one possible." he says after a moment. "Creation needs a unifying force to drive it, a strong foundation to rebuild itself upon. The Realm provides that force."

He smiles thinly. "And, of course, even if we didn't support the Realm, there is a strong chance that it would come to rule the world anyway. Supporting the winning side is simply... efficient."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"The center of Creation needs to be strong, yes," the Chosen of Secrets assents. "In more than one sense. At the most basic level, the Pole of Earth is what holds the world against the Wyld. But as for a unifying force... why do you consider that important? What would be wrong with a world where each nation was left to go its own way, where the Blessed Isle and the Threshold alike were the patchwork domains of various warlords? Some would say it worked well enough for the Shogunate. I presume you have studied the Lookshy campaigns, and how they ended, and thought about the implications for perceptions of the Realm."

"As for your second point... some things cannot be changed, and some are not worth changing. The first are rarer than often thought. Would you agree it's important to distinguish the two?"

Spoiler
    Show
    These are leading questions, of course. Chejop isn't arguing for what he believes.

And yes, this is going to segue into a discussion of what Shajah and Aumin and Anys reported.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

"Because Creation cannot afford such an irregular arrangement. Not right now, at least." Lotus says after a bit of thought. "The Shogunate had the population, the infrastructure and the resources to sustain a patchwork existence without collapsing under the weight of the weaknesses such a system brings with it."

He takes another sip of the tea as he marshals his thoughts once more. "One day, when the population has returned to it's prior heights and all that was lost has been rebuilt, allowing Creation to split apart into so many separate states may be feasible, or even inevitable. But for now, we need as many resources as we can muster to work in the same direction, rather than against one another. The Realm provides, to my knowledge, the best means available to organise that rebuilding effort."

He smiles at the second point. "'Give me the serenity to accept what cannot be changed, the will to challenge that which must be, and the wisdom to distinguish between the two'. As guiding principles go, I have heard worse. Just because we can do something, does not mean that we should."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"True. But nor can we hesitate to do what must be done. Both errors can be fatal, and not simply for those responsible."

Chejop pours himself some more tea, and offers the bowl to Lotus. "What is the Realm, in your view? The Blessed Isle? The followers of the Scarlet Empress? The home of the Sword of Creation? Something else? You speak of unity and organization, but most of humanity does not live within the Realm's borders, by any definition... how is that unity to be accomplished, and maintained?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-05 at 08:28 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

"Right now? The Realm is simply an empire, expansionist and powerful. It holds advantages few others can boast, true, but at it's heart it is still little more than that."

He takes the proffered bowl, and once again takes a measured drink before continuing. "In time, though, I would like to see it become a Dynasty. An ideal, held up across the generations, something around which all of Creation revolves. As for how that should be achieved... peacefully, if possible."

A slightly self-depreciating smirk. "Not a common viewpoint among the Shieldbearers, but then, I don't actually like war very much. I would much rather see smaller nations willingly joining the Realm for the prosperity and protection that it can offer, than see them crushed under the heels of the Legions. Common interest binds a people together with far greater surety than any amount of force, and there is a lot the Realm could offer it's members."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Right now - the Realm is the Empress." The Elder's voice sounds almost... pensive. "Her strength is its strength, and its weaknesses..." He takes another sip of tea.

"We have been accused, sometimes, of diminishing Creation in order to save it. Of accepting less, when we should have striven for more. And it's true, to a degree. The Vision of Bronze was not, ever, without its acknowledged costs."

"But the glories of the... First Age, you called it?" He chuckles softly. "So be it. They were false, in the end, as their makers. Hollow as blown eggshells, and as fragile, in the absence of the Solars; glittering gaudy gifts to decorate a dead end, to tempt the world into overlooking their lethal cost until it was too late." He looks away, toward the window, and the colored glow of the city lights. "I suppose it must be difficult, now, to realize how hard it was to see."

"We must not seek to equal them, Lotus, we must seek to do better. If it is the test of a teacher that his students surpass him, then it is surely the test of a craftsman that his creations endure, and even grow greater, when he is no longer there to attend them."

"In crafting the ideal you imagine, the peace that you foresee... there are many reasons we are spending so much effort on the Immaculate Order. To train those who will keep the Terrestrial spirit courts from running amok, and hunt down the foes that would try to murder your vision in the womb, yes - but not only for that. In time, the Immaculate teachings may become the heart of a shared culture, and shared beliefs." He takes another sip and adds more quietly, "And shared memory, that the past not repeat itself."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

"I had wondered why the texts placed such an emphasis on reincarnation." the young Sidereal murmurs. "But a religion that encourages thoughts of legacy and continuity, of duty and systematic reward... yes, I can see the value in that, when it comes to building a new age.".

A unified world, where mortal and Exalted and spirit all work together, guided by a shared philosophy... a fine dream to work towards, and one which needs methodical planning rather than hopeful risk-taking. "

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Legacy, continuity, yes - and they are also meant to encourage adherents to make the world better in small incremental ways, within their own communities. To build the future where they are, with the tools they have available, rather than dreaming of largesse from uncaring gods or distant heroes."

"More tea?"

After Chejop has refilled his cup, he continues, "So. All this said... tell me what you took from the conversation earlier."

Lotus suspects that the vagueness of the question is deliberate.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-06 at 02:22 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

"Several things." Lotus says, ordering and double-checking his earlier conclusions in his mind. "My Sifu has been absent on undisclosed missions in the South for some time. From the comments made, I would infer that he was searching for an old friend, speaking to those who last saw him and trying to track down where he may have gone. He... had no luck."

A sip of the tea. "You mentioned that his replacement was 'Wong', which I suspect means 'Wong Bangerok, Celestial Censor of the South'... and the less popular replacement for Swan Dragon, who was well regarded by his many friends. It appears that my Sifu was among them."

A pause, to see how close his current understanding comes to fact.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Elder nods slightly, approvingly. "Good. You are correct, so far. Wong was initially appointed as a temporary replacement, after the Contagion, but his position seems likely to become permanent, unless another candidate wins sufficient support. Or, of course, unless his predecessor makes a reappearance. Swan Dragon was an exemplary Censor, with wide support in both the Terrestrial and Celestial courts. Your sifu has invested considerable effort in trying to quell the so-called 'God Wars' in the South, amongst the displaced courts; the task would have been much easier if Swan Dragon had survived the Fair Folk invasion."

"But please, continue."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-06 at 05:47 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"There was a mention of someone by the name of 'Lusa', which I believe is an Ifrit of some renown." Lotus continues, nodding, though he seems less sure of himself. "I understand that he has some sort of plan, quite likely an extraordinarily ambitious and long-term one, but it brings him into conflict with Wong Bangerok. I confess that the exact specifics escape me, though."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Hmm." The Elder nods slightly. "For now, thanks to your sifu's work, the situation is stable. Not ideal, but stable. Still, when you observe the South, remember what you have heard."

Chejop sets down his teacup. "One small secret that you may find useful, though. Lusa Seragon is indeed an ifrit, old and powerful and wealthy and skilled. He is also your senpai, senior student of the same teacher. He studied the Art of Meditative Discussion with Aumin for many years; I believe both found their conversations fruitful. However, neither have let this be widely known."

"Now, moving back to more immediate matters, as you requested earlier -" A faint smile. "Shajah's report. Tell me your inferences."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

"The subordinate families of the Realm are jockeying for power and influence, and some of them haven't been as discerning in their choice of allies as we might like." Lotus summaries briefly, though he does look momentarily embarrassed at the reminder of his previous words. "I am not too surprised. The Empress rules, that much is clear - she has the Sword, and the will to use it - but as yet she doesn't have much in the way of a truly extensive family to fill the other ranks in the power structure. So everyone is trying to grab the nicest spots for themselves, or ingratiate themselves with those who are most likely to."

He shrugs, just slightly. "I recognised a few of the names, though I can't say I'm especially familiar with any of them. Vondy, I know defected to Lookshy during the last clash between them and the Realm. It sounds like this Taras had some links with him, and that the Kalisi were intent on using evidence they'd acquired for leverage over him. Which... would actually have been an intelligent and workable plan, if they hadn't brought Sondok into it."

Anoher pause, and a faint frown. "I can't say I think well of the intelligence of anyone who summons an unbound Second Circle demon like that. I assume it was unbound, unless one of those experimental programs to break the Dragon-Blooded into the Sapphire circle worked without anyone noticing."
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2013-10-07 at 06:34 AM.