New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Aegis Tristalt In-Character

Each having heeded the call of your king for an audience, you enter into his castle. A small keep on a raised hill in Capital City. The guards, having been briefed to expect you, allow you in. Those astute in the ways of the realm realize that you have not been asked to relinquish your arms; a bizarre alteration in protocol. Each of you upon arrival is ushered into a lavish waiting chamber furnished with gilded couches, portraits of past royalty and a table of exquisite delicacies. Soon, the four invitees have arrived. One of King's elite guards, a tall man in polished, ceremonial plate bearing his families' crest and a crimson cloak, ushers you in to see the King, eyeing each of you in turn.

As you enter the King's private chambers you sense immediately the gravity of this meeting. The King lies in a magnificent bed made of fine wood and adorned with silken sheets, juxtaposing upon his body, worn fragile and withered with age. His eyes alight at the sight of you, he welcomes you in a hoarse voice strained by his condition:

"Welcome. I mean not to waste your time with pleasantries, so I shall get straight to the point. As you know, I am without heir, and though my reign has been a long and prosperous one, my time is nigh. Soon, I will not be here to lead our fair country of Solum. I fear that should our country be without strong leadership, war will be rekindled with our neighbor country, Bellicus. So, I sought the counsel of my trusted adviser and now I invite you here before me. He told me that the great heroes of Solum from the tales of my youth had been reincarnated in you. Who better to entrust my kingdom? My legacy?

Verily, I give you this task, in the name of your king and country; one of you must prove yourself worthy, or find someone worthy of the throne. In order to prove with absolute certainty that you are worthy of the throne, I implore you to find the legendary relic, the Potentia, fabled to have once struck down the monster, Tyrannus, the dragon feared even by the gods, and with its power, exalt our fair nation and rule it justly.

I know not where the Potentia may lie, but I can inform you that in the tombs beneath our very feet waits the first step on this arduous journey. But be wary, the tomb was sealed some time ago when it was urged by my adviser, but not before two guards were lost to its depths. In this you will do me twin favors, both putting my mind to rest regarding the future of my kingdom, and making safe my soon-to-be resting place. Upon completion of this first service, I will grant you each a single item from my personal treasury or an equivalent favor of your choosing. Should you have any questions for me, I will entertain them, but be quick, for even this exertion taxes me gravely."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-25 at 02:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt In-Character

Kasha

"I will strive then to be quick. Is it known what might dwell in the crypts? Or are there traps and snares that might delay us? Who also is this adviser you speak of?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Wraith

Wraith walks into the room, wishing for the hundredth time that he could just do this part as Nathaniel. The lights, open room, and guards wasn't something he was used to encountering while masked. He didn't even know if the old king knew who he really was, all of which made the paranoid bandit very uncomfortable.

Still, he need to put a good show on for the rest of the heroes. "Great plan, my liege," Wraith said mockingly. "Betting the entire kingdom on who's the best at killing things and stealing magic items. Why didn't you just make it a pie eating contest? Considering how round most nobility is, that sounds like the most reliable way to measure who's fit for royalty." Despite himself, Wraith chuckled at the double entendres.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The King takes each remark in turn.

"I know not what lurks in the shadows of the tombs of my forefathers, but whatever it may be it wields a foul magic. Those posted to guard its entrance fell to something akin to illness. When they were to receive healing from the clergy, they instead grew weaker and died. Seeing no need to risk other men, and hoping to prevent this horror from escaping, the tomb was sealed. This course of action was at the behest of Consilia, my trusted adviser. Should you wish to speak with her, simply inform Martin Convectus, my guard who saw you in."

Then, hearing the Wraith's commentary he ponders it seriously for a moment.

"Despite my age, I always try to see what wisdom may be gained from the words of others. If you believe that peace may be achieved in this method, then please, elaborate. But do not waste your breath uselessly before your king. Martin already expressed his misgivings about allowing you to walk unfettered through the castle, and I'm certain he would be pleased to take you in should your intentions here be to mock my offer."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-25 at 10:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A man stands near the back of the crowd of adventurers, listening to the king's request. He has Gray skin, white hair, and gold eyes. Along his arms and hands, and even on his face, there are white tattoos, that seem to almost have a sort of mist coming from them, dissipating before it can reach the ground. at his back is a curved blade, bearing the same coloration to it's owner, as if they had some sort of connection. Potentia, huh? I've... Heard of it. You say you don't know where it is, yet you also say that we must go down into these crypts to get it. Is it down there, or not? And if not, then why are we going down there? he pauses a minute, then continues, in an apologetic tone, Sorry if what I said sounds offensive. I am simply confused, is all.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Wraith eyed the king, looking for signs of a smile. "We both know I neither want the crown or could hold it, even if I did. So here's the deal for when I get my hands on that sword. Since it's way too hot to outright sell, I'm gonna make maps with hints and stuff and sell those, probably for 20 thousand a pop. Make it whole big thing with the smartest bloke in the kingdom being worthy or some nonsense. If that's gonna be a problem, tell me now. Don't wanna start my little venture only to have palace guards confiscate all the maps."

Grinning inwardly, the outlaw played it out in his head. Every impossibly rich and underhanded noble in the kingdom will start killing each other for worthless scraps of paper, leaving the field wide open for the ideal king to make positive changes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

In spite of her quick questions, Kasha is obviously interested in the story of this relic, "What makes you think that the search starts in the tombs?"

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+15)[33] for knowledge about the Potentia

Knowledge (History) (1d20+14)[21] for anything useful about the tombs and their history that would explain needing to be sealed up. Using 1 inspiration point for a +6 bonus.

Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-26 at 01:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The King listens intently to the adventurer's comments, and turns to each of them one by one.

To Trasil and Kasha he responds:
    "The weapon itself is not within the tombs. But I believe that among the graves of my forefathers rests a clue to its whereabouts, my grandfather did a great deal of research into the Potentia, and he took his research to his grave, quite literally. The notes are contained on one of the tapestries near his sarcophagus.

To the Wraith he responds:
    "I've arranged a pardon for you, should you choose to participate in this task. I will instruct the Convectus twins to stop hunting you for past crimes, though it will not shield you from future crimes. No one else will know what transpires in this room otherwise, other than us and what knowledge Consilia has, should you plan to sell maps to the Potentia, I shall not hinder you. Though I am not so sure that the weapon is a sword."

Spoiler: Kasha's Knowledges
    Show

Arcane: The Potentia is a weapon of immense power from ancient legends said to be the only thing capable of hurting the first tyrant, Tyrannus; a dragon so mighty that it wrest control of the world away from the gods themselves. Supposedly the weapon's power would let you slay even gods. However, this legend, for the most part, has been lost.

Tyrannus was supposedly a dragon of immense size, dwarfing the Great Wyrms of the present. Supposedly it could crush a whole town under a single claw, or wipe away a country with a single exhalation of its breath. It enslaved the whole world under its reign at one time.

History: The Potentia legend is a superstition coming from a kingdom so ancient its name is no longer remembered. Supposedly the founder of that nation was first to set up laws and give rights to humanoid and similar species, something unknown to the world before, during the reign of the monster Tyrannus. Somehow the Potentia and that nation are connected, but how they are intertwined is knowledge that has long been lost.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-26 at 03:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Wraith had to visibly stop himself from snorting. Of course the legendary dragon slaying relic is a sword. It's always a sword.

His questions answered, he then began to study everyone else in the room, dismissing the palace guard almost immediately. A warrior with unknown powers, though he didn't exhibit any of the usual signs of incredible arrogance that came with being more than a simple sellsword. The elf is also seemingly standard, a mage by the looks of her, though he'd seen more than one trained fighter disguise themselves in fancy robes only to throw them off and kill everyone charging towards the unprotected caster. The last one was different. Wraith would call him a giant if he hadn't seen how big they really got and the man's face wasn't twisted up in an ugly expression. Considering his own impressive skills and powers, there was no telling what they were all truly capable of and even less what their intentions were.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

"Very well. I have no other questions, and I apologize for taxing your majesty with those I did have. I am prepared to see the entrance to the tomb whenever the others are."
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-26 at 01:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I would venture to say that i, too, am ready to enter the tomb.
    Extended Signature

Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

"Let's get this over with."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As you head from the King's chambers, Martin signals to some other guards to take his post and he beckons you to follow him, he shoots a menacing glare toward the Bladed Wraith, but leads you towards the tombs' entrance. His stride never breaks as you pass by portraits of former royals, tapestries depicting great battles and other fantastic tales, an open door to a room where the walls are filled to the brim with all manner of scrolls and books organized onto shelves.

"I don't know why the King has decided to let you rabble wander here armed, or why he doesn't have me take those wanted among you in for their crimes, however I take no delight in meaningless loss of life. So, consider this a fulfillment of my obligation to you as citizens. I do not believe it safe, nor a worthwhile venture to go into the tombs. Though I will not stop you should you choose to proceed. If you should need anything before your venture into the tomb, I will request it from our castle's quartermaster on your behalf.

The door has been blocked off by wall of iron, but we have one of our gifted waiting to open the path for you. I will have a group of men near the entrance, ready to slay anything that comes through the portal, but I earnestly pray it doesn't come to that. The gifted will be ready to reseal the portal should the need arise, and if anything comes forth and any of my men die that blood will be on your hands."

Eventually you reach a spiral stairwell down, as you move to enter the stairwell a group of six men, armed to the teeth, wait for you to pass and begin to file in behind you. The stairwell is wide enough that four men could stand shoulder to shoulder, and as you descend further, the smell of freshly lit torches greets you. As you reach the magnificent entry hall to the tombs, you see the visage of former kings carved into the very walls. Ahead, next to a large iron slab, sits a female half-orc, bizarrely dressed in an unadorned robe and wizard hat.

"Ah, you came." she stands to greet you "I am Sharumph, and I have gifts for you brave 'nuff to go into the tomb." she picks up a small wooden box and clicks the lock open, revealing four brightly glowing stones and offering them to the group. "Place a stone around your head to light the way. I wish you happy hunting! I will make a path whenever you are ready."

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show

The stones are dull grey Ioun stones, which have no effect other than to orbit your head in the manner of an Ioun stone. These stones have had continual flame cast on them. In effect they're everburning torches that don't require your hands.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-27 at 01:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha takes a stone, "Thank you. I am ready."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"A stone that circles one's head, with a light on it? Most astonishing. I'll take one." the swordsman says as he plucks one from the Half-Orc's outstretched hand.
    Extended Signature

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

"Thanks, but I'd rather not announce the exact location of my skull to any would-be attackers." Turning to his compatriots, Wraith began to formulate a strategy. Casting an eye towards the group of armed men, Wraith spoke. "It's pretty clear there's going to be some big nasty in the tomb. To keep it from eviscerating us, what are the two of you capable of? I don't want to step in front of fireballs or accidentally stab a summoned pet. For myself, I'm best attacking from the shadows and will create magic darkness or mist, so be prepared for that. Don't need magical healing or enchantments, but can't really provide either one.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Heracles accepted the magic stone with a look of amazement, surprised at the things in civilization, yet also irritated. He didn't know half the things around him, and he felt rather stiff and caged in the throne room with the brightness and color and stares. He wasn't even listening to the king most of the time. All he really discerned was that something was in the tomb, a hint to a weapon, and that for some unknown reason he is entrusting the throne to...these people. Reincarnated or not, the king has some sort of ulterior motives.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha puts the stone away, in case it is of use later, "I can assist and help provide healing to all of you. I also have some few other minor magical tricks."
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2014-07-27 at 12:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hrrm, well, I can fight with my sword. Oh, and fly! You see the swordsman kinda float into the air a bit. "And, i can do a fairly... Peculiar thing with spells. I can channel them through my sword. And, I can heal each of you, once per day, with a Cure Moderate Wounds spell. And, quite uniquely, I can hand one of you my sword, and you can use it with ease, as though you had taken training in the use of such a unique sword. In addition, you can cast my spells, and other things. However, when this happens, I am... Not in my body. Instead, I'm in the sword. He pauses for a moment. "I think that's it.
    Extended Signature

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Martin stands near the back of the room with his men-at-arms gripping their weapons.

Sharumph stands with a silly grin and fiddles with her wizard robe. She opens a side compartment and retrieves a tightly bound scroll from her box before closing it with the one stone remaining and clicking the lock back into place. Seeing the group noticing the scroll she indicates it with a finger and says:
    "Just in case path needs to be blocked again. I hope not though.
    When you say you're ready, I will break the iron block. I don't hear noise on the other side, so I don't know what is behind it."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

It had been a while since he'd delved a dangerous dungeon. Smiling behind the mask, Wraith gave a short nod.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Heracles snapped out of his stupor, before nodding.
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between his shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style."
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    As the old saying goes, "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby get his ass wrecked."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil takes out his Katana, ready for anything that comes this way.
    Extended Signature

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha stands ready, scimitar in hand.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sharumph slips the scroll into her sleeve and positions herself in front of the iron wall and takes a wide based stance. She presses one hand against the iron and balls the other up into a fist, placing it a mere few centimeters from the barricade. She inhales deeply and as she exhales, she punches the slab with her fist, releasing a "HEEEIA!". Very unconventional for a Wizard, however, when her fist meets the metal it spontaneously shatters! While the iron falls, causing a cacophony, she immediately runs away, past your group and towards the safety of Martin and company.

As the iron veil gives way you peer into the darkness. It appears to be an enormous subterranean hall with large empty slots on either side, presumably for sarcophagi for royalty. You feel the stale, chill air flow out from the crypt, a strange silence following the noise of its opening. Who knows what horrors lurk in the shadows?

There is no obvious movement within your view through the doorway.

Show

We're beginning a dungeon crawl. We'll be using Theater of the Mind style combat, since updating maps and what not slows things down considerably, in my experience. Generally, since we're not using maps, dungeons will be relatively simple in layout (not labyrinthian unless on request) though should you choose to search for it, there should be lore or plot related things within all dungeon-type events. Approach this however you see fit. Always remember, I try to reward cleverness!
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-27 at 08:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

Kasha uses detect magic and peers into the open tomb.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Kasha detects no magic (other than your group) within 60ft of the tomb's entrance, and looking in, can see that raised rectangles of stone rest in the large openings on the sides of the hall. These sarcophagi not presently in use and have nothing covering their tops. Otherwise, this entrance of the hall is unadorned. Sconces hang from the walls, but the torches that once lit this area have long since burned out.

Show
    Make a perception/spot roll, feel free to do this proactively in the future, since me not having to ask for it is nice, and I'll give circumstance bonuses as long as it's not being abused ridiculously, like rolling every post even when nothing is going on.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2014-07-28 at 12:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Trasil scans the area in front of him, looking for anything that might look suspicious.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[24] spot.
    Extended Signature

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Peering into the hall before you, Trasil notices that the floor, ceiling, and the side areas have been coated in some kind of semi-transparent webbing. He quickly notes a slight movement from from within the chamber, uncertain if it was his imagination or a trick of the light and dust. Long spindly legs with numerous joints are barely visible behind the two nearest Sarcophagus. Judging by the size of the legs, the hidden creatures may be a match for Heracles' size.

The eerie moment of silence breaks as Martin goads you onward:
    "What are you waiting for? Go on."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Kasha

"If you are impatient, feel free to go in before we do, soldier. I prefer to look before I leap."

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (1d20+5)[12]

Also, are we using Perception instead of individual skills?