New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: [Nexus] Trog's Tavern CCXLVI

Everyone's getting in on the fun now!
    A little fire bolt, a little ice whipblade, and then lots of running away.

Unfortunately, someone has already tried the fire thing and it didn't work out so great.
    There's a little green spark from the lizard, which arcs through the blue-flames to greet the bolt. It passes into the lizard's "fur" and is lost, seeming to just propel the blue flames ever higher.

Likewise, the ice slash is interfered with as well. Not as...effectively, but similarly.
    It does exactly what it set out to do. Carves a slim line through the arm of (recently Sunder-mauled) cotton, which falls to the ground a foot or so away.

However, rather than harmlessly melting away once it hits the ground, it stays. A faint-haze of blue fire now wraps the ice, sustaining it in the absence of its creator. Not exceptionally dangerous, unless someone trips over it.

Meanwhile, that slashed cotton!
    The blue-fire upon it winks out, but the cotton then proceeds to begin crawling towards Romeo much like a massive inchworm.
    Oops?

After Sunder and Shawna so casually retreated (each with their respective disrespectful parting shots), the lizard is left rather alone.
    Which is unacceptable to its wrathful disposition.

So it leaps after Sunder, a now bear-sized ball of coldburning death-fluff. Probably be less scary if claws of ice weren't beginning to form on its feet.

Meanwhile, up on the ceiling...
    Shawna can probably get a clear view of the scores of other plush animals lining the rafters, staring rather intently at the scene below.
    Not joining, or interfering.
    Just...watching.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #422
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Glad to meet you!

Aw. I was hoping to find her. She hasn't summoned me in days. Some other guy did though! He was nice. He gave me a free sword!

Buddy points to his tail, where a shortsword is imbedded in.

Shift looks at the sword with an experienced eye.

" 'S a nice weapon. How's the balance on it?"

He honestly doesn't know a thing about swords, but if they are anything like glass in their making and handling, balance is important.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NatsuGaki View Post
    Shift looks at the sword with an experienced eye.

" 'S a nice weapon. How's the balance on it?"

He honestly doesn't know a thing about swords, but if they are anything like glass in their making and handling, balance is important.
    I don't know. Never used a weapon before.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Pfft. So what's the point of a sword? But don't sweat it, I've not used a melee weapon in fifteen years."

He digs in his bag and holds up a small marble.

"I normally work with these."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

Creepy plush animals...

Sunder has a number of things going for her that the lizard doesn't. The first and most obvious quality is the face that her flight magic is powered by Sir Issac Newton spinning in his grave.

With a flick of her wings she repositions, placing herself above the leaping monster and neatly avoiding the pounce. Just as quickly (and just as impossibly) her momentum reverses and she launches herself back down to deliver a quick one-two punch to the giant lizard's spine.

Not that it actually has a spine, mind. But sometimes it's the thought that counts.

Oddly enough the first attack will whiff completely should all go as planned, simply passing through the cold-fire aura. Which may very well shatter the cold fire aura and leave little inert bits of it scattered all over the floor.

The second punch is a bit more straight forward in its intent, namely blasting the plush to dust.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #426

Marbles? Cool! I mostly aid Invidia by squeezing or hugging until the guys fall asleep.
    Uh, Buddy... They aren't sleeping...
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

"Activating program."

The ball of coldburning death-fluff may be surprised when there are suddenly two solid metal walls (or partial walls, not like they cover the whole place) on opposite sides of it. These are holograms, of course, but they are solid as anything else is. Force effects are neat like that.

The walls then rush together to try to crush the abomination between them.

"Here I am a holographic goddess."

Well that's worrying.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

8. - Top - End - #428
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Marbles? Cool! I mostly aid Invidia by squeezing or hugging until the guys fall asleep.
    Uh, Buddy... They aren't sleeping...
    Shift shakes his head.

"Not marbles, mate. Bombs. Look like marbles, function in a manner close to that of a grenade."

He is slightly amused at the Friend Demon's disillusionment.

"They fall asleep? You have skills."

9. - Top - End - #429

Shift shakes his head.

"Not marbles, mate. Bombs. Look like marbles, function in a manner close to that of a grenade."

He is slightly amused at the Friend Demon's disillusionment.

"They fall asleep? You have skills."
    Cool! Explosions are awesome! Especially if you're walking away from them, then it looks really cool!

Apparently the Netherworld has TVs that air channels on the other side if the 4th wall.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Well, if it's someone like me, it doesn't look all that cool."

Shift rather enjoys this demon's positive outlook on things. He could get used to hanging with those from the Netherworld.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Troll in the Playground

Shawna's attention is drawn by the Flock, but she makes no move towards them.
    They don't attack, she doesn't attack.
    Kinda like the Red and Green Lanterns got to be after awhile.

Shrike, meanwhile, giggles madly and tries to give Fettina a peck on the cheek.
    "Weellll, it might be. Iffin ya want it to..."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

12. - Top - End - #432

"Well, if it's someone like me, it doesn't look all that cool."

Shift rather enjoys this demon's positive outlook on things. He could get used to hanging with those from the Netherworld.
    At least slightly cool though!

The only funny ones are the Friend Demons (Some know how to break the 4th wall. ).
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2013-10-18 at 09:24 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

13. - Top - End - #433

Bad cotton! Bad! No crawling!

Romeo flicks his wrist and the precariously perched chair flies at the blob of cotton. It swings downward and hard trying to smack it into the floor and pin it. It tries really really hard.

At the same time Romeo takes a breath and lets magic fill the hand clutching the staff.

One spell, then another. One spell, then another. Always a spell ahead. Just like the board games he's been taught.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Trying to squish the plush amidst walls and punches of doom.

Pow! Sunder...punches out the blue fire aura?
    How does that work? No one knows!
    But there are little bits of blue ember going everywhere.

That second punch is a little more expected.
    The back of the lizard tears open in a violent spray of fluff, revealing a churning vortex of green sparks and white cotton, which seems rather eager to accept her hoof.

She probably remembers the ugly sensation of undeath's energy. The dollbeast is full of it, and a moderate measure of it will be retaliating against her leg should it continue onwards.

...and then, because the lizard really can't fly or change directions well.
    It's going to be horribly crushed by a pair of holo-walls.
    Sort of regardless of Sunder reducing a large portion of it to fluffy dust.
    Or if she's actually gotten out of the way.

Meanwhile, the apprentice is attacking a cotton blob with a chair!
    It's pinned to the floor!
    Then it tears itself in half and a smaller portion resumes the chase for Romeo's leg.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

15. - Top - End - #435

Glomp.

Getting her limbs glomped by horrible undead things is never much fun. Or at least puffy constructs seething with the vile power of undeath. Thankfully Sunder's gauntlets offers some degree of protection to her limbs. They are, after all, designed to absorb energy. Even spooky energy. But they're meant more for sharp impacts, not a saturating quagmire of deathly power.

Like, say, the sharp impact of a holographic wall.

Sunder zips up higher, possibly dragging the lizard with her, to avoid getting crushed like a bug. Sadly she doesn't get fully clear and the walls clamp tight on her gauntlet.

The brick red pegasus is now stuck fast.

She begins swearing fluently in Dwarven while flailing at the lizard with her free arm. Lots of quick, shallow jabs. Not about to get caught again.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

"Adjusting."

Gaps suddenly form in the walls.

The gaps are shaped and sized specifically to allow that caught limb free without getting rid of the walls entirely. Hologram shenanigans are convenient sometimes!

The walls will then resume smashing if possible.

"Preparing contingency program 'Demon Child-1.'"

Wait, what?
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

"Please state the nature of the contigency programming," Shawna states, her own voice flatly monotone and emotionless in nature.

As a second plasma blade slips into her free hand, and ignites.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

18. - Top - End - #438

Of course it breaks in half. Just pinning the thing would be easy, wouldn't it.

This next part would be simpler, but you take what you can get. The magical power in his hand transfers in it's entirety to his index finger, making it glow feintly to the naked eye. Tossing the staff into his left hand, he stumbles back and pulls his leg up and away, now balancing on his back leg and the staff. Romeo points down at the cotton blob.

There's a ripple from all of the air trying to squeeze into a single space, then a glint of ice condensing at the tip of his finger.

Like water from a fire hydrant, cold air and frost jet from Romeo's finger at high pressure. He tries to linger on the blob in front of him for a second, letting the frost batter and soak the ball, before moving onto the pinned blob. There's much more staying power than the last ice spell, mostly because there's so much more ice than a few crystals.

When the spell finishes, Romeo jams the numb finger into his mouth. He also inhales deeply. One last spell before he's out, so he has to make it count.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Harald's Tina

Tina accepts the headset, flashing Harald a gleaming white smile. They're slipped over her small ears easily. As the symphony carries on, her eyes begin to grow wide and watery. She stares blankly into space, completely consumed by the music.

She'll listen till the very last note has faded to nothing, then finally take off Harald's headset. Tina blinks a few times and says, "Um. Wow. Harald, that was... something else."
    "I know... he was a great friend of mine. He was killed in the first attack on me."

He sighs, finishing his fourth glass and ordering a fifth.
    Doctor Harald avatar by MethosH

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Shrike, meanwhile, giggles madly and tries to give Fettina a peck on the cheek.
    "Weellll, it might be. Iffin ya want it to..."
    Tina smiles sweetly, her cheeks brightening even further when they get smooched. "Oh, fer sure. I mean, didja have a guy in mind? I've got a couple..."

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDM View Post
    "I know... he was a great friend of mine. He was killed in the first attack on me."

He sighs, finishing his fourth glass and ordering a fifth.
    "Oh, Harald, I'm so sorry," Tina says, genuinely saddened. She furrows her brow and reaches out to touch his shoulder gently. Though she also might be using this as an excuse to see if his muscles are as solid as they look. >.>
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, Harald, I'm so sorry," Tina says, genuinely saddened. She furrows her brow and reaches out to touch his shoulder gently. Though she also might be using this as an excuse to see if his muscles are as solid as they look. >.>
    Oh, they are. Possibly even more.

"He could have run. He chose to stand by me. I don't think I'd have escaped without him. He was my greatest friend and I will never forget him."

He finishes his glass and orders yet another.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442

Tina will let her hand linger, then. And be respectfully silent, if at least for a few moments longer. She's never experienced anything like that - no epic stories or heroic sacrifices.

"You don't have to keep drinking those, y'know. You've definitely proved your point," Tina says, offering a sympathetic smile and turning toward him on her barstool. "I mean, unless it helps..."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tina will let her hand linger, then. And be respectfully silent, if at least for a few moments longer. She's never experienced anything like that - no epic stories or heroic sacrifices.

"You don't have to keep drinking those, y'know. You've definitely proved your point," Tina says, offering a sympathetic smile and turning toward him on her barstool. "I mean, unless it helps..."
    A little of his tension eases under her touch.

"I wish. I've never been drunk in a century and a half. I don't think it's actually possible for me to get intoxicated, but I'm going to try."

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444

Tina laughs pleasantly, a noise like windchimes, her hand patting his upper arm. "Well damn, then, don't get wasted on that stuff. Hey, Cosmo, two Iames Agonia's please!" The glasses arrive in a roundabout manner, just as soon as the grumpy NPC gnome quits grumbling about mentioning him specifically. She raises hers toward Harold, smiling a flashy smile. "Cheers."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tina laughs pleasantly, a noise like windchimes, her hand patting his upper arm. "Well damn, then, don't get wasted on that stuff. Hey, Cosmo, two Iames Agonia's please!" The glasses arrive in a roundabout manner, just as soon as the grumpy NPC gnome quits grumbling about mentioning him specifically. She raises hers toward Harold, smiling a flashy smile. "Cheers."
    He grins back and raises his glass in return.

"Cheers."

The empty glass is placed on the bar in short order.
    Last edited by GrandDM; 2013-10-19 at 04:51 AM.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446

"We'll get you drunk, mister, count on that," Tina says, this time ordering a couple of Black Shadows. A very chilly mixed drink. "Here, I never get tired of these." She really doesn't.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We'll get you drunk, mister, count on that," Tina says, this time ordering a couple of Black Shadows. A very chilly mixed drink. "Here, I never get tired of these." She really doesn't.
    "Looks like I'll be paying, because I'm going to run you up quite a tab."

He grins, and drains about a quarter of the Black Shadow.

"Not bad."

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448

"Oh, if you insist," Tina says, not bothering to mention she's got cash to burn. Why not let the centuries old scientist pay? He's probably loaded. "So... you said you're augmented so that you can't get drunk. What else is augmented?" She gives his bicep another squeeze. Dayum. "Like, these?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2013-10-19 at 05:34 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, if you insist," Tina says, not bothering to mention she's got cash to burn. Why not let the centuries old scientist pay? He's probably loaded. "So... you said you're augmented so that you can't get drunk. What else is augmented?" She gives his bicep another squeeze. Dayum. "Like these."
    He chuckles, flexing his muscles slightly under her grasp. A glint in his eye suggests he's testing how far he can go.

"Well, let's see... aside from the muscular development and alcohol processing, my skeleton is fused with a particular isotope of the plating I use on my robots. It's a lot stronger, but unstable when isolated. My reactions are fast enough to let me catch a fly in midair, I can sprint a hundred meters in five seconds without even getting out of breath and I heal at a very high rate, although I have to take in a lot more energy to fuel it. Also, I have a neural implant that allows me to communicate with Mastermind and my robots internally. The implant transfers my mind to another body if I die or if I choose to do so. I think that's everything..."

He grins.

"Well, everything to do with raw abilities... there are a few other things too."

There's the glint again.

Nexus

CHB
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450

Judging by the way Tina's smiling, he could go a very long ways. What he's saying is very impressive and all, but Fettina knows his type - they like to brag about their toys before anything else. Her eyes fall half-closed, and she leans closer as if to listen better. "Like what?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters