New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: The Ultimate Conflict II

"...Right." Nasiri's face dulls to a shattered confidence of understanding as Korshim throws out words and terms far beyond her expertise. How does someone make a machine like this; a clockwork dragon powered by magic without any indication of such. Nasiri has no idea how much Wero and Zurkar had to put up with this machine back before she had even met everyone in Wero's empire. It only dawns to Nasiri's mind later that Korshim is far out of his element compared to her. He didn't and probably still does not understand how and why Sargti's government works the way it does. She probably shouldn't even try to talk about it to him anymore. Having to bear the responsibility of this is something Usabhar can do, not her.

Deciding that he is better, Nasiri flips back to her smile as she goes to see if he has been able to accurately 'process' everything she's told him. "Well then sounds like you got yourself rightside back up. Next time you want to overheat though I can throw you out in the cold instead." She makes a small chuckle. "So, now that I've shown you around and told you about it, what do you think of Sargti on a whole?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

The concept that this society is based on is utterly alien to me. He says. Why one would seek to de-centralize power leaves me to believe Usabhar is either drawing on a political philosophy of foolishness or wisdom greater than that of the High Lord himself. You also mentioned one other word: Freedom.

This word is not known to me. The way you spoke of it leaves me to believe it is the patron deity of the ability to speak unmolested, though I know this is incorrect.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

3. - Top - End - #153

SwashbucklerGuy

Nasiri is quiet, practically speechless at how Korshim is alien to this all. It shouldn't be a surprise anymore but it shows just how much the clockwork dragon will have to go before he comes to understand. There isn't a way she's gonna be able to do it tonight. It will have to be something of a long process, one Usabhar would be more determined to stick with than her. For now the issue of the heretic should be at hand. "Erm, yeah trying to explain this all is gonna take days," she puts it nicely. "For now all I ask is that you roll with it. We've got a patrol to do now; find a lost dwarf and bring him back. Based on what I know he may be related to the heretic that we keep missing. Easy enough, right?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just putting this here to try and finish off the conversation so we can do the time skip.

4. - Top - End - #154

False. We have as many leads as to his location as we did hours ago. He says plainly I suppose we might as well keep moving.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN

Evergold: The next 8 hours pass in relative peace. You receive several sendings keeping you up to date as the other gods are awakened, the loss of miracles is found to be universal, and a system of intermediaries is established.

As events unfold, it becomes clear that whatever branching of reality once allowed wishes to occur isn't functioning, either. Unlike with miracles, however, there is no immediate solution in sight.

A couple of hours into the rest, Hanali walks into the area and starts using the scrying pool, revealing glimpses of churches in various worlds as the news is delivered with varying responses from the crowd.

At long last, as the new day begins, two particular events occur. First of all, a sending it sent out through all of the stones handed out on the meeting grounds.

"Working to reinstate Wishes. If you have not been contacted regarding the new means of invoking miracles, working miracles will be rendered impossible for now."

Secondly, a small Atomie appears at the end of your rest, the small fey performing a regal swipe of its sword through the air. "Aelara Chrysopeia. Leader of the 586th battallion. I am here to guide you to today's activities."

Emanacal: 8 hours of tossing and turning up in a private sanctum result in little but dreams of pipes wearign empty dragon skins like suits and of crashing moons.

Down below, meanwhile Zurkar has had a very productive day, already repairing over 75% of the damage dealt in the recent attack. While Zurkar might have been able to accomplish more, people have been turning to him for just about everything since his father apparently vanished into thin air.

Most of the news if fairly mundane, though some news does seem a bit troubling. Wishes and miracles don't seem to be functioning any more.

Sargti: Eight hours later, the patrol has failed to find the missing dwarf or any sign of the fungus-worshiper, meaning that the traitor has either burrowed into a rock or is living outside of the structure.

For Usabhar, the period passes by without much news. The shopkeep agrees to believe in Usabhar and Keltahkonkment after some initial resistance, the new alloy finds its way into the hands of your finest crafter and finest enchanter (two individuals who unfortunately despise one another), and you spend the rest of your time on more administrative tasks (helping to arrange the trade meeting to come).

At the end of this time, Usabhar is returned the stone with two pieces of news. Urngar the Smith has discovered that the ore is metallic and malleable to some extent. Palim the Enchanter has discovered that the ore is highly enchanted (and is still blind after an attempt at Detect Magic).

The stone that Usabhar was handed at the Meeting Grounds erupts at that moment with a sending. "Working to reinstate Wishes. If you have not been contacted regarding the new means of invoking miracles, working miracles will be rendered impossible for now."
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-12-24 at 12:58 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

6. - Top - End - #156

Indigo Citadel

Zurkar was utterly exhausted.

Coordinating the volunteers, organizing the work, and offering his own manual (or supernatural) labor where he could, was working well. Very well. In fact it was proceeding at a pace that far exceeded the Prince's own, most optimistic projections.

...until the hordes came.

It was as though from a nightmare. The seething tide rolling in waves upon waves of marauding nobles, petty and inconsequential all. It was merciless, laying waste to all productivity that dared to enter the swarm's line of sight. All possibilities of progress were laid to waste as the swarm turned its attention upon the young dragon, whom now had to divide his attention to coordinating the reconstruction efforts, and fending off the Noble Hordes. His commands of "Go away" and "Leave me alone" and "That wall of solid stone I conjured in front of you was 50 feet tall! Although i'm impressed that you managed to climb over it somehow, you should understand the gesture of my conjuring that wall in front of you specifically means I don't want to talk to you" went unheeded.

Twnenty Five scrolls of Mass Suggestion, Eighty Four scrolls of Greater Geas, two scrolls of Lesser Geas (they proved to be ineffective,) twenty four Scrolls of Wall of Stone, six staves of Grease, and an uncontable number of miscellaneous other conjured magical items later, the last of the petitioners were sent on their way. Just when he thought he could get some peace, daylight arced across the horizon as the first pieces of the sun began to reveal themselves against Emanacal's curvature. Looking around, he found he was the only one still up, the other volunteers having long ago retiring themselves to sleep. Even Minaeyoch was...Tiamat knows where. It then hit him like a wrecking ball.

The Prince's limbs were made of jelly, barely able to support his own weight even while sitting down. His wings didn't even fold against his body, they sagged. His tail was also similarly lifeless, nearly devoid of feeling. His head felt heavy and eyelids were as though they were made of lead. He gasped for air, not out of asphyxiation but fatigue. A long day's work compounded upon an already stressful day, it was amazing he did not simply collapse right there and then. What remained of Zurkar's sense in his fatigue-addled mind told him to get off the street and into one of those currently unoccupied buildings he helped rebuild. Surely they wouldn't mind. Certainly it wasn't the most comfortable of places to sleep but dragons were hardy creatures, well suited to roughing it for a night without much discomfort. The transition would have been jarring to Zurkar any other circumstance but right now it didn't care. Curled up in a resting position, his tail proved perhaps the most comfortable place in the world to rest his head.

Lord Wero's Sanctuary

For the High Lord, he had a different problem.

Sleep was not an issue, and it hadn't been in years. In fact sleep had become a luxury rather than a necessity. A fact he discovered on accident and verified through several tests where he went a month without sleep to see if he would suffer the effects of sleep deprivation. It didn't even affect him. He could still sleep, it was simply downgraded to a want.

Though the dreams he experienced were...troubling, to say the least. Pipe-dragons wearing the skins of true dragons? More moons? These could not be visions of a sort. He did not suffer them before the Fourth Battle for the Indigo Citadel so it is not possible that changed. Perhaps the experience affected him more than his rational mind is leading him to believe? Is he traumatized?

Lord Wero thinks for a moment. Although it would be strange for one as old and wizened as him to possibly experience anything that would be traumatic, a rational individual should not rule out the possibility. As much as he shouldn't rule out the very real (however frightening) possibility that the Fourth Battle for the Indigo Citadel was only a minor setback for the Boiler Man. What is it that the Battle stirred up emotionally? The Moon projected a dead magic field across the world, depriving the High Lord of his magic, his greatest asset. Leaving him naked and...vulnerable.

Oh, how he hated that feeling. Truly moreso than just about anything else. He hated feeling powerless. Unable to destroy all those machines as they sacked the Citadel and slaughtered his subjects. He had failed when the Lord General had died trying to damage the continent-sized Blackball. It was within his power to prevent that death from happening, or it should have been! He hated the scum of the Eastern Alliance, who argued, no. Demanded. That the High Lord did not deserve the right to live free 150 years ago, and nearly defeated his Empire. He hated the dwarves of the Iron Citadel, what would become the Indigo Citadel, who sought to deny the High Lord what is rightfully his! He hated those...men. Those men who predate the Empire by nearly four hundred years, who found the High Lord in his infancy. They took everything from him. His name, his pride, his future...and he was powerless to stop them. Just as he was powerless to take the Citadel in the First Battle for the Indigo Citadel. Just as he was powerless against the Eastern Alliance. Just as he was powerless to protect his daughter. Just as he was powerless to destroy the Boiler Man's moon!

At that moment, it happened. All of the High Lord's hatred, all of his anger at the world, its people, and himself culminated into a single spell never before seen on Emanacal, and perhaps never to be seen again. The raw power of the High Lord's immense magical might was turned inwards. A power never before known to the High Lord infused him, giving his already immense physical might a terrifying augmentation. One not simply born of spell but of his own hate and nearly limitless rage at everything that dares to challenge his right to supremacy over all he surveys.

A lesser being would have been consumed in such a maelstrom of rage, but the High Lord was still himself. He cast aside the rage from his thoughts, however with difficulty, and looked upon himself to see his transformation. Surely enough, he noticed he was slightly larger. It was his forelimbs having undertaken the most dramatic transformation. Once powerful appendages ending in wickedly sharp claws, they were now terrifyingly muscular forelegs the long and wide sleeves High Lord's cloak only barely managed to contain. His torso underwent a similar transformation, leaving the High Lord appearing extremely top-heavy. His forelimbs don't really end in claws now so much as they each end in a four-digit appendage whose description would only be spoken of as "death" in the uncountable languages of the untold millions they would slaughter. The scales on each arm seemed to glow faintly the space between them almost radiating incandescent light as though leaking barely-contained power.

Even though knowledge of the spell was lost to the High Lord, he understood it well enough to call upon its power. It sat there as a creature at the back of his mind, urging him to lay waste to all that stood before him, promising to unlock the full potential of his newly found strength if he just satiated the Monster's need for carnage. It was easy enough to dismiss, however the High Lord sincerely worried if the presence would become maddening after a while.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-12-25 at 01:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

ITS JUST A JUMP TO THE LEFT

Greetings, Aelara. What is first up for today's activities?

Both Celestica and Rahja appear quite refreshed, and happy.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-12-24 at 09:18 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

AND THEN A STEP TO THE RI-I-I-IGHT

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Aelera." After some rest and alone time with her soulmate, Rahja is back to her serene self as she awaits Aelera's answer. It has been a crazy time since healing the general. But it has made her grow and find her true love. On a personal level, she has nothing to complain about. Far from it.

9. - Top - End - #159

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, don't know the lyrics to the song.

The hours that pass for what most people would spend asleep are instead spent in activity for Usabhar. Progress had not been as great as the paragon would have wished. Yet like all dwarves of Sargti, progress is appreciated at any speed due to their long lifespans. Life in Kulomen may be harsh, short, and brutish but the fortifications and hard work put into Sargti has made life for the dwarves considerably longer-lasting. Usabhar himself is ageless, perfectly adapted to the brutal ice found all over the land around Sargti. Years are nothing to him, therefore just as perfectly patient with progress so long as it is achieved. The revival of Kulomen can take as long as needed so long as there will be people to rightfully inherit the mythical winter wonderland that it was once known to be. So long as the dwarves are always diligent, there would be nothing wrong with time.

So it is the sudden explosion of events these last few days that has made it difficult for Sargti to adapt to. Usabhar finds it incredible how much has happened to the multiverse in just a few days. One who has infinite patience doesn't get used to it in the way that others can. It isn't so bad if it was a singular event like a battle; dozens of situations make this a very different matter. Between the assault of the strange black creatures, the world root, the Boiler Man, and Sargti's heretic issues, there is simply too much that dwarves can work on at their lenience. Even working endlessly day and night isn't enough for Usabhar to simply keep up with everything. Any person could be brought down from the stress of everything happening at once.

In these eight hours, Usabhar had come to a conclusion about the state of his kingdom. The dwarves of Sargti will not easily remove their doubt of their god. While not frail at all, the religion of Sargti is strong only by as many still worship Keltahkonkmet. For every dwarf who attracts Zuggtmoy, that's one less worshiper in the kingdom. The way to prevent that is to remain strong and avoid inciting any more doubt within the kingdom. Zealousness is essential. For this, Usabhar comes to decide that he cannot be far from Kulomen for a time, as well as not deal with anyone that cannot be trusted or is naturally against the religion. This meant for both demons and undead; Usabhar can't deal with the avolakia for this reason. He may be neglecting a potential ally and a potent metal, but he thinks it's what is best for his kingdom. Even if reliigous tolerance can be accepted outside of his kingdom, Usabhar needs to keep Sargti restricted to it's own religion at almost any cost.

When the results come back from Urngar and Palim, the paragon does not doubt their own observations. A malleable metal meant that weapons of incredible power can be made from it. It couldn't have been harnessed simply by smithing however; that would be too easy. Usabhar and Urngar would have succeeded already in crafting a new greataxe for the paragon. It's magical properties would mean that an expert in magic would be needed for assistance and Palim simply lacks the skill for that. Such knowledge is well outside of Sargti's expertise even if Palim is the greatest of the enchanters known in Kulomen.

First the stone would need to be identified by a more accomplished enchanter. Usabhar knew just the dragon for the task. He gives the stone to Nasiri, letting her tuck it tightly with her tail as she gazes upon it in wonder once more. Usabhar's orders are straightforward yet spoken in a strict tone. "You are to show this to Prince Zurkar, let him identify it if he truly does understand magic, and then return here with the results. Do not let him or the High Lord keep it for any moment of time out of your sight." The dwarf, staying in his own world, makes it very clear to Nasiri that he does not want to have to fix any sort of mess she may make, The couatl makes her response more gently. "Of course my lord," she relaxingly states as she plane shifts out of the world of Wesslorne. She lets Korshim come with her when asked.

Oh his own now, Usabhar gets set to continue his administrative tasks around Sargti. The giants have not given their concerns to him yet by the staff they have given him; neither have the azer voiced their own requests out to him. With those matters away, Usabhar takes this opportunity to prepare for the wandering peak. It's spirit should be pacified in some way before it crashes to something, most likely Sargti. The paragon goes to meet with Hrimden, greeting him with rightful respect before going to the matter at hand. "For the moment, we have time to discuss our coming plan on the wandering peak," he begins to get straight to the point. "Whatever spirit this mountain has, I suspect it will not listen to one it considers lowly if it has any sentience. May I suggest that the priests assist in my communication with the mountain? I may speak as the collective voice of our kingdom; this wandering peak will listen to us all in communicating with me." Speaking his suggestion, Usabhar lets Hrimden ponder the idea before the paragon speaks up again. "How great a force do you have in mind to bring for this instance?"

Over up in Emanacal's skies, Nasiri takes a deep breath to the wonderful air of this more wonderful world than the icy wasteland that she usually finds herself putting up with. She feels all the happier accepting Usabhar's order for it means she is in a place that at least hides all the issues it has. "Ah, what a relief," she speaks as she looks out in the distance. The view and things she can see is truly remarkable compared to Kulomen and it's snow-snow-more-snow sights. She turns to look to Korshim, still somewhat short in size. "Alright, thanks for experimenting my sizeshifting spell," she amusingly chuckles as she makes a flick of her tail to return the clockwork dragon back to his proper size.

Wasting no time, Nasiri flies down to the mostly repaired city the prince had no doubt worked hard to fix. "So much fixed already," she mutters kindly to herself. "Why can't Sargti be as technologically advanced as this world?" Her hypothetical question left hanging in the air, Nasiri searches around the town for the prince, eventually finding him in a building occupied by no one but him. Seeing the young dragon asleep through one of the windows, Nasiri removes her tailguard before knocking thrice upon the window with her tail. The stone she holds can be seen clutched by the tail, something she expects Zurkar to notice. With any luck, the prince may notice and wake up so that she won't need to sound like a crazy noble petitioner... if she isn't already acting like one.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-12-25 at 10:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

With your hand on your hips

Sargti

Korshim has as much patience as his parameters will allow (that is to say, infinity) and as such is not fatigued in the slightest in the non-completion of his current objective. Though he does wonder why they are suddenly switching gears, focusing in on this shiny rock. Nontheless, he can't skip out on a reason to visit the Prince. He is very eager to return to Emanacal, where everything makes sense.

Indigo Citadel

It took many, many taps on the window, but eventually the young dragon is roused from his sleep. Slowly, and with several death-glares shot at the Couatl, the half-unconscious Prince Zurkar eventually manages to reach the door, naked except for his characteristic gold headband. Despite his half-dead appearance belaying his fatigue, he manages a glower that just manages to be downright menacing as his sleep-addled mind completely fails to process the fact that he is being visited by a familiar Couatl and an extremely familiar mechanical dragon. Either that or he doesn't care. Go away! He growls, clearly cranky at having been interrupted from his sleep. I don't know where he went either, stop asking me!

11. - Top - End - #161

SwashbucklerGuy

You bring your knees in tight

Nasiri leans back at Zurkar's frustrated growling. She got the feeling that he'd be a little upset over her constant knocking but she has never seen him as angry as this. She wonders whether all the work in repairing the city is the cause; stress does tend to easily build up in most people. She wonders just how much she can push her subject before risking the prince using whatever artificer powers he has against her. She knows this stone she holds is important for Usabhar; had the multiverse not be in such a flux she and her lord could afford a good six to eight hours of waiting. Since this is not the case, Nasiri would need to be a little more negotiable.

Nasiri's own little way of negotiating however, is the way of being a smartass."Oh, he's currently somewhere else? My apologies, I must have gotten him confused with another dragon." The polite tone clashing once more with her words as she smiles seemingly unaffected by Zurkar's growling. "If you happen to see him, just let him know that I'm looking for a master artificer to identify this." She holds up the stone once more so that Zurkar may see it. Hopefully it's brilliance is better seen than from a window. "An easy task of his expertise, not some administrative nonsense that kings and royalty force themselves in or get forced into." She shows her teeth as she widens her smile, as if she was a seller looking to impress her customer.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-12-26 at 08:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

But it's the pelvic thrust

WHY do I get that line?

You're not clever either. He jabs back, giving the stone a rather disinterested look-over to see if he himself could not identify it.

Spoiler
    Show

Prince Zurkar's knowledge checks

Appraise
    (1d20+42)[55]
    Arcana
    (1d20+42)[43]
    Engineering
    (1d20+42)[57]
    Geography
    (1d20+42)[49]
    Planes
    (1d20+42)[50]
    Religion
    (1d20+42)[45]
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-12-26 at 08:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

THAT NEARLY DRIVES YOU IN-SA-AY-AY-NE

Celestica cocks her head to the side and looks to her soulmate....
    Are you hearing some sort of 1970s flashback?
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-12-27 at 09:56 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"Past, present and future bursts of inspiration from Shelyn. You'll get used to them, love. Time warps happen all the time."

LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!

"See?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2013-12-27 at 05:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Evergold: Aelara nods at Rahja's keen insight, though it is doubtful that she is fully aware of the anacrhonism that has just spanned worlds and planes for the sake of a musical number. Or maybe she just sees too many of the things to bother talking about them. She is one of the fey, after all.

"Are there any other guests in your retinue this day?" Asks the Atomie, pulling out her rapier (read: sewing needle) in a show of fine swordsmanship, "or have I been blessed with an easy assignment this day?"

Finally noting that Hanali is in the area, Aelara gives a polite nod before whispering over to Celestica, "I wouldn't recommend bringing the hired help. The meek would do well to remember their place, after all."

Sargti: Hrimden seems to think over this whole business, running one hand through his beard. "Beyond the authority clergy could offer a speaker, I'd think no more are needed beyond an honor guard to face what lies in the wastes. If the mountain decides to fight, we will need our full army to fight. Unless you involve yourself, of course."

From Usabhar's back, the soft voice of the Frost Giant chief can be heard, "It is time. The Jarl has prepared his gift, Paragon."

Emanacal Base: Looking out at the new stone, Zurkar simultaneously sees everything within his pockets and everything that these components could be built into, a combination of all that the item is and could be, alloyed with a crystalline light made of light and reassurance; the soothing rays of a late afternoon after falling asleep working on designs or the constant warmth of a well-tended furnace.

Beyond that, Zurkar can tell that it is crystalline, metallic, malleable, and undoubtedly magical.

Emanacal Throne Room: The last remnants of the spell leaving their marks, Lord Wero is no longer robbed of command. You are undoubtedly in charge: of your kingdom, of your family, and of your own mind.

Even now, you can see all of the evidence you would ever need to verify your command. Hundreds of the dead are strung up everywhere you turn, projections of each memory where you had exerted your command.

Killers, Traitors, Bandits, Challengers.

Here is the princess that had tried to escape not a week ago. There was the foreman who had dared expend resources on another throne. Beside them, a horrid and disgusting orcish barbarian

All who had dared question or gainsay your command have found their place. All who had tried to command or control you have learned their lesson. [b]YOU{/b] are the one in control around here.

Yes, almost certainly.
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!

16. - Top - End - #166

Indigo Citadel Reconstruction Site

Interesting... Zurkar says, looking at the crystal more closely. Lines appear around the Prince's eyes, forming the white outline of a monocle before fully forming the device. I have never seen this before. Hold it for a minute would you? I'm going to read its magical properties.

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft Check
    (1d20+42)[46]

Using Artificer's Monocle to identify the crystal's magical properties in addition to using Wondercraft to craft, and cast a scroll of Analyze Dweomer

High Lord's Sanctuary

There was no doubt as to who was in charge, who held all the power. Whose whim determines whether or not billions lived or died. Whose mere mention inspired the fear of billions more. Whose desires sundered cities, conquered countries, and dominated worlds. Whose reach extended to distant worlds and influence expanded even further still. There is no doubt. None whatsoever. He has spent centuries consolidating power, becoming the total of totalitarianism. The dictate of dictator. His words were as good as scripture. His actions were absolute. All who would challenge him died on their knees, such is inevitable of all those who continue to escape the grasp of his long arm. All those who knew Him, knew. All those who knew of him knew. Even those unfortunate enough to not sit within his sphere of control, knew. He, above all others, knew.

So why was he so uncertain?!

He knew it was not real. Perhaps the lingering effects of that unknown spell or some sort of illusion. Any man of reason could see that clear-as-day. This was false. Nothing about this illusion suggested its true presence in reality. Yet its effects were all-too-real.

The High Lord personally has killed untold millions. The uncountable number of battles the High Lord has participated in has caused immense numbers of soldiers, brutes, and criminals to die. The slaughter carried in his wake, carried by those who acted under His authority, could only be described as legendary. They were not represented here. This...macabre display were of those he personally killed. No, 'killed' wasn't the right word.

These people are different than the soldiers, brutes, and criminals. They were killed without provocation, yet their circumstances condemned them to death at the High Lord's hands. They were murdered. The Princess and his retainer didn't act to overthrow the High Lord, the Foreman merely overstepped his authority, and the day the Orc Chieftain entered the Hall of Judgment was fresh in his mind: He kneeled. He willingly swore the allegiance and feality of his tribe to the High Lord and the Empire, and in exchange he was tortured until he gave up the location of his tribe, whom where swiftly massacred down to the individual.

Was it guilt he felt? Why? The laws were clear, and if they weren't then the law will have to be rewritten to clarify the wording. Certainly these men and women condemned themselves with their actions! So why. WHY. Was he so uncertain?!

The only solace he could find in these spectres was in one noose. A large one, made of numerous, incredibly thick ropes looped around multiple times, looking as though it would hold a dragon. He knew whom it would have held, but it gave him great peace to know it hung empty. Somehow, a thought occurred to him there. If he had made that decision, if...if the Prince had not spoken out, he may have complied with his daughter's wishes and executed her on the spot. He would have lost himself there, his love, compassion, and mercy would have died with her.

No, something else died there. That's not the right thing either. Something was wounded there. Something horrible, and it's struggling to hold on. It speaks to Lord Wero now, a little voice in the back of his mind. Relishing in this museum of murder, promising peace. Freedom from this doubt and confusion if he would just...let go. Surrender to the fear, the hate, and become the being whose name is synonymous with absolute power. High Lord.

He is approaching a tipping point. The compassion, love, patience, and wisdom of Lord Wero is struggling with the hate, fear, and paranoia of the High Lord. It is a battle of control waged within the dragon's mind. The stakes: the Empire of the Eternal Eclipse.

Pulling from distraction, Lord Wero chooses to ignore the apparitions. They are not real, though they are a symptom of a more serious problem. Yesterday, the High Lord experienced numerous hallucinations that, in acting under the assumption they were real, placed him in a rather embarassing situation. To avoid further troubles, he must know what is real and what is not, then act accordingly. Though, he has a feeling he'll hear everybody he speaks to saying his name every other sentence. If no-one else acts on this, it's an auditory hallucination.

Hall of Judgment

In a flash of indigo light, a significantly more buffed-up and top-heavy Lord Wero appears on the Indigo Throne. Surveying the surrounding area for any signs of vanishing petitioners or non-existent pipes.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception
    (1d20+43)[54]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

CELESTICA

Celestica fixes the atomie with a stern gaze...it might one of the first times Rahja has ever seen her stern, its not very common.

I don't know who you are calling hired help or meek but there are no such personages here. If its Hanali you are talking about, you would do well to remember that she is a goddess and if its Rahja, then anyone who does not accord her the same respect as they do me will have to answer for it.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #168

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar listens closely to Hrimden's words as the paragon thinks over what is likely an unavoidable situation. To fight a mountain is already an issue; to do it with Sargti's entire army is only asking to bring weakness within the kingdom's defenses. Quickly he speaks to respond to Hrimden. "I would not miss that sort of battle if it comes to it. I believe half of Sargti's entire army and myself will be enough; the other half may stay to defend the kingdom. If we are to act in that way then we do it before it comes too close to Sargti."

Usabhar's words are spent quickly before hearing the staff of the frost giants speak. It has been but a few days since the paragon got it but it seems like the staff is being put to good use. Without changing his tone, Usabhar speaks calmly once more to Hrimden. "I will be away to Il'Kanaen for a short time. Continue as you wish for now." His words bluntly stated, Usabhar makes his way out of Sargti and to the frost giant fortress of Il'Kanaen.

Nasiri finds herself overjoyed that Zurkar is willing to observe the stone, no matter how grumpy he is from his rest. Even from the simple glace, Nasiri is sure that the prince had found so many more things than anyone at Sargti could. "A pleasure to do so," she sweetly responds as lies the material on her tail to let Zurkar observe it more closely. "So, what have you seen from it just at a glance? Quite the divine material isn't it? Can't believe something like this landed in Kulomen of all places." She makes simple, idle questions and remarks during this process. She often finds herself bored too quickly.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Evergold: All color seems to drain from the Atomie's face as she is scolded, shaking like a leaf in the wind. "She's a... I just... a real gooooo... bythemoonandsunhowinthemultiversecouldanyoneelseru insuchassimpletasksocompletelyjustleadtheguestsbac kfortheirmealandmakesuretheyarepreparedbythetimeth edeitiesgettherebutdoesanyonewarnmethatImightmeeta goddessNOOOOOOOOO."

*Inhales*

"Ijustgoblowingmymouthoffasnormalrightinfrontofago ddesstoimpresstheguestsandgravelyinsulthernowshewi llwarntheotherdeitiesnottocomebecauseaterriblejerk justinsultedherandeveryonewillknowthatitwillbemyfa ultandtheyllsendmebacktofurcollectionANDIREFUSETOG OBACKTOTHATLIFESOLONGWORLD"

With that, Aelara smacks herself in the neck with her weapon, clearly unsure of how best to kill oneself with a rapier.

Emanacal Reconstruction Site: As Zurkar investigates the effects of this new stone, the sheer power of the stone leaves the dragon blinded (not a normal consequence of the magic being used) as his corneas are seared with the blazing light of a thousand suns.

As far as Zurkar can tell, the rock in front of him is the magical equivalent of a neutron star, an alloy of raw arcane and divine energies with unrivaled density. Of course, in the face of more immediate pain, this info may or may not be relevant.

Hall of Judgment: Everything seems back to normal as Lord Wero returns to the hall. No grizzly phantasms, no ghost pipes, and no vanishing sycophants.

Far from it, your entourage is now the one who looks as though they have seen a ghost, seeing you for the first time since your spell was cast. Thankfully, the group is relatively small, consisting only of those who were desperate to find you and too uncreative to think of a better way to reach you (not that one necessarily exists).

"Sire?" one of them cautiously asks, looking at you with a bit of concern.

Il'Kaenen: Traveling across his nation, the Paragon was forced to waylay a hungry frost worm and small cadre of unlucky ghouls but otherwise passes the trip without opposition.

Upon arrival at the fortress city, Usabhar can see that something has changed. Walking through the city, a number of fire giants mingle among the populace, making up no more than 5% of the population but still giving off a different feel with their more vibrant clothing and relatively upbeat demeanor.

Arriving at the the Chief's abode, you can see the chief speaking with a particularly rotund fire giant, wearing large reeds laced throughout her lengthy hair and wearing a dress clearly formed from a mastodon pelt.

This strange new giant smiles at the sight of Usabhar, waving for him to join, "Usabhar," she shouts, "it does my heart good to see you once more!"

OOC: And now I am off on a vacation to the East. See you guys on the 10th.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2013-12-30 at 12:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Indigo Citadel Restoration Site

Zurkar shoots an irritated glance at Nasiri. Shut up and let me- The power radiating from the stone is...immense. Extremely immense. Far more powerful than anything he's ever seen before. Simply looking at it for a moment is excruciating! It BURNS!! IT BURNS!! -UUUUAAAAHHHGGGGHH!!! The dragon rears back, howling in agony as his eyeballs are suddenly incinerated from the intense overload. He seems to completely forget everything else as he collapses onto the ground, clutching his burnt eyes tightly, gasping and moaning in pain.

Not even a second later, Nasiri feels the air around her suddenly become significantly more hot and humid as the shadow of a massive clockwork dragon suddenly looms over her, steam emitting threateningly from its muzzle. What did you DO?! Korshim sees his protective charge injured. Unable to fully grasp at the moment the entirety of the situation, he turns his attention towards the only other party available. The construct watches the Couatl with hate, massive brass claws ready to strike down and subdue Nasiri at the slightest sudden movement, segmented mechanical tail interposing itself between Nasiri and Zurkar with no regard for the Couatl's personal space. ANSWER!! He booms again.

Hall of Judgment

Of course they would be surprised at the sudden change in Lord Wero's appearance. It would be best to reassure them for the moment. I would ask you forgive me for yesterday, I fear the stress has gotten to me. Be assured I am better rested, and although I have undergone a transformation, I am no less capable. Blatant lie. Was it? If you have business, speak.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2013-12-30 at 01:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"Aelera" Rahja begins, catching that tiny rapier and softly holding the atomie, gently leaning her against her own chest as she tries to calm her down, carefully channelling positive energy into her to get rid of any bruises and to make her feel better. "Aelera, it was just a misunderstanding. You are doing a fine job. Everything's okay, everything's okay." She repeats those last words a few more times, softly caressing the atomie's hair with her thumb. When she is calm, Rahja lets her sit on the edge of her palm facing up so she can get a look at her with a gentle smile.

"We'd be happy to have you guide us, Aelera." Also giving her her sword back.

22. - Top - End - #172

SwashbucklerGuy

Usabhar never would have expected what he found within the home of the frost giants. The frost worm was expected; it's hunger undid itself when Usabhar easily sliced it apart from the inside out. The ghouls were also expected; a few measly punches are enough to shatter them apart. Kulomen's harshness is and always has been beaten down by the paragon's own strength and resilience. No, it is always the events outside of combat which can catch Usabhar off-guard. Il'Kaenen has never housed any creature of fire before. Even in all of Kulomen it was only the azer who could count as such. To see fire giants suddenly in this place and welcomed by the frost giants is a sight needing explanation.

Despite the surprise, Usabhar keeps his stoic and focused look as he witnesses the fire giants found within Il'Kaenen. If there is some sort of downside to the fire giants being here, it hasn't become immediately known yet. The dwarf had figured they are foreigners to Kulomen; a group of giants on pilgrimage across Wesslorne. This idea become questioned when he reaches the Jarl's abode. Usabhar cannot recall the last time he had met a fire giant. Despite how he doesn't know this frost giant, it would be poor to not be considerate to a seemingly friendly giant. "It is good to meet you," he begins calmly. "I do not entirely recall your name; it has been long since I have seen a fire giant. I had not expected to meet your kind at all in Kulomen in fact." He speaks as he usually does to someone like an ally, though keeps himself from asking about the fire giant's business right away.

On Emanacal, Nasiri looks like she wants to fry her own brain. The stone had seemingly fried Zurkar's eyes and Korshim speaks as if he is about to bring his hammer down upon the couatl. She hadn't done anything wrong that she was aware about; why should she be punished as cruelly as the clockwork dragon seems to suggest? Her words stutter for a moment, in question of how she should respond so that she doesn't become a scaly pancake. "I-I didn't know the stone would do such a thing!" Her panicked eyes look on as she almost feels like she rooted herself to the ground. Running isn't going to do her any good. "I got this stone from my lord. Neither of us knew about this thing! That's why we went to the prince to get it examined! Neither of us knew it would do such a thing!" She tries to keep herself from screaming. The LAST thing she wants is for Wero to find out about this/

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Trying to stifle a laugh at the tiny atomie attempting to kill itself with a knitting needle, and still look stern at the same time, Celestica lets Rahja handle the calming of the tiny fey, still readying herself for the ball. Dealing with a large quantity of devious fey is never easy, she will have to be on her toes.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #174

Ignorance proves nothing. the towering construct sneers. With a vindictive glint in his eye-lenses, Korshim is stopped at the last-minute by a comment somehow audible over its speaker's moans.

Staff! Zurkar manages to say, freeing one arm to point in the general direction of where his original sleeping spot was. There lay several articles of the Prince's clothing and armor, including several bags. Presumably, ones that are larger on the inside than outside. Look...look through my things...for a staff. Oak wood, white stripe...across the middle. It has the Greater Restoration spell on it.

25. - Top - End - #175

SwashbucklerGuy

Nasiri freezes as much as Korshim does when Zurkar manages to speak up. In truth she was concerned the prince would fry her where she stood after whatever the stone had done to him. She herself is lucky to be given such treatment in this empire. In that case it would be horribly rude to not agree with this simple request. One needs to know their mistakes, even when they actually have done no intentional misdeed.

Nasiri simply gives a slow and shaken nod to Zurkar as she slithers away to the bags that the prince had pointed out. Her left eye kept ever so watching the fearful Korshim as her right eye looks down through the prince's stuff. She didn't want to look away from either of them as her tail carefully scurries for what she is looking for. Eventually she finds the staff Zurkar had mentioned; brilliance and craftsmanship gleamed from it's presence. "Found it," she plainly says, absolutely not in the mood to joke or kid around. "Just used like this, right?" Nasiri lifts the staff upward slightly as she tries casting the Greater Restoration spell on Korshim. She's never used a magic staff in a long time, rather relying on her own spells instead. She's reminded only now that perhaps studying the path of an artificer might be a good idea.

26. - Top - End - #176

While the whole "oh Gods what do I do?" thing might terrify Korshim or Zurkar under ordinary circumstances, the worst Nasiri could possibly do with that particular staff is heal Zurkar to death. Or possibly bludgeon him. Regardless, the aforementioned clockwork dragon watches Nasiri, unblinking eye-lenses seeing nothing in their field of vision save for the Couatl whose recklessness caused his charge such suffering. He barely even noticed a burst of white light emit from the staff, echoed in the glowing halo surrounding Zurkar.

The young dragon moans in relief as the searing pain is removed, his eyes regaining their proper form and function. Even so it's apparent he's reluctant to open them lest they come under assault again. Augh, thank you. He manages I don't think I could manage without my eyes.
    Are you functional, Lord?
    I'm fine, Korshim. And don't be so tense. Everything's fine.

27. - Top - End - #177

SwashbucklerGuy

Nasiri begins to relax as she sees Zurkar getting better following the Greater Restoration casting. It is good to see the prince prepared for any situation with his skill as an artificer. As a sorcerer, Nasiri lacks that sort of instant-creation preparation that Zurkar is capable of. Sometimes she should feel envious of this considering the benefit of preparing spells ahead of time. Other times, she feels glad she can just cast on the go as she needs to. Either way, her own magical abilities are still far below what some of her peers are capable of.

Showing her reaction gently, Nasiri begins to smile once more; her body still shakes on occasion under the chance Korshim feels like bringing down his hammer. With Zurkar fine, Nasiri imagines Korshim doesn't have much of a reason to. "Glad that you are well," she begins, giving a small, teeth-shown smile showing only the slightest bit of concern. "What in the world did you find from that stone? I hadn't known it could do that to anyone. I mean it may have happened to my lord once but it's not like a giant's sword to the eye bothers him." She makes the awkward jest as she keeps smiling.

28. - Top - End - #178

Right, the rock. No question or concern about my well-being, no "Hey Zurkar, you okay?" or "Curses! My glowing rock didn't absorb his soul!" Nope. Straight to the rock. The Technomancer half-gests half-snips. Anyways, that's not a rock. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's literally solid magic. Not Divine Magic, not Arcane Magic, Not Technomantic Magic, just....Magic. And it's been crystallized into that thing. Skrew it, i'm going to keep calling it a "rock." Judging by how perky he now seems, the Restoration spell obviously killed off his sleeplessness-induced fatigue. Korshim seems to have relaxed a bit.

Also, i'd like to know where you got it. I've never seen anything like it before, and the potential of such a material, heh. It boggles my mind! If Nasiri is really telling the truth and nobody in the Paragon's world thought, or could use scanning spells, Zurkar wonders if such a material is simply being squandered in such a place. I guess what i'm saying is: I want some!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC: And after jet-lagging for 24 hours, I am back in business.

Evergold: Aelera slowly pulls herself together under Rahja's care, careful to retain a reproachful expression under Celestica's stern gaze. "As... as I was asking before... I got off track... was there anyone else that the two of you wished to bring along?"

Emanacal Hall of Judgment: That everything is perfectly all right seems to be a hard pill to swallow, especially in the immediate aftermath of an attempted take-over, but the assembled advisers and bureaucrats eventually seem to decide that the evidence of their eyes (and whatever other divinations they possess) is sufficient.

As far as topics of immediate importance:
    • Now that you have a new, fertile moon, various factions are all jockeying for the best real-estate.
    • A figure of raw shadows was seen floating through the city below. While obviously no threat to yourself, the last shadow outbreak nearly threatened to wipe out the city as they multiplied exponentially. Thankfully, no deaths have been linked with this sighting so far.
    • A small number of clockwork dragons were found in the northern wastes last night, in a state not far from hibernation in a living creature. Interrogators are seeking direction in how to handle them.
    • A satellite town on the distant world of Urank, notable mostly for its mythryl mines, has seemingly vanished off of the face of the earth over night.

Il'Kaenan: The unfamiliar fire giant jarl, howling in laughter, "I had thought the battle-wary dwarves more attentive, Paragon. Did your tea serve itself when we met to discuss the Root? What of when your forces fought off the rhemoraz incursion so our survivors at Al'himil could escape? Will you say you did not notice us then?"

Though the Jarl and Chieftain both laugh, you are quite sure that none of that has happened. You'd probably have remembered a battle that big.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Rahja does give Celestica a somewhat more insistent look, as if saying "It's okay now, love". Given their superhuman presence, even a small gesture can be devastating to those nowhere near their power. The healer thinks for a moment. "Should we ask Selayna? I mean, she is probably busy right now, but perhaps..."