New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Multi Classing and Class Features

My group is talking about Multiclassing, and we are wondering if we could get some input on why class features don't cross over.

We have an Assassin that wants to Multiclass Rogue, after hearing that Shroud doesn't level as well as other Striker Features out there.

The group and the GM want to know some of the arguments that would say why we shouldn't Houserule that out, and permit Multiclass Class features to cross over to Core Class Powers.

Maybe some examples when specific combos would be too powerful?
    "Can somebody stop the world and let me off?" - Slamm-0

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Multi Classing and Class Features

Quote Originally Posted by Joval View Post
    My group is talking about Multiclassing, and we are wondering if we could get some input on why class features don't cross over.
    I believe you're either misunderstanding how multiclassing works, or you're talking about hybrids. MC'ing to rogue lets you use sneak attack on any power, not just on rogue powers (as long as you have CA and are using a proper weapon), but only once per encounter. So it crosses over just fine, it's just restricted to once per combat.

That said, the assassin is simply a weak class, and multiclassing to anything is not going to fix that. The best approach here would be simply to rebuild the character as a Rogue instead - the rogue has the exact same fluff that the assassin does, but mechanically speaking a rogue is a very good striker and an assassin is just not.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    the rogue has the exact same fluff that the assassin does,
    Except for the spooky-shadow-magic part.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Except for the spooky-shadow-magic part.
    It's much easier to add spooky-shadow-magic fluff to a rogue, than to make an assassin mechanically effective.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

As for specific class feature combinations that might be overpowered with house ruling, consider a Fighter multiclassed to Paladin who both Combat and Divine Challenges the same foe, every round forever (because you house ruled that he could use both together, as in the original classes, with no interference ).

Suddenly, that creature's taking a -4 to attacks against anybody but you, gets stabbed for shifting away or leaving your threatened space, and gets stabbed AND takes automatic damage for attacking the squishy character next to you. Add in feats to improve your marks a bit, like Potent Challenge, and suddenly your monsters had better not think of attacking anyone else... even if they have the chance to coup de grace someone else... because they won't survive long enough to make the strike and they'll surely miss even if they do.

In addition to that, the Fighter gets Lay on Hands on top of all his other self-heals, can Channel Divinity with the best of them, qualifies for everything Paladin Related (as some things require you to be of a class and have a class feature)...

Would it break the game? Maybe not. Would it have unintended consequences? Absolutely.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Marks are different in that they explicitly call out that they override each other... but there's nothing in-game that says a Fighter/Paladin who Divine Challenges his target can't also make use of the Combat Challenge retribution as well (since Divine Challenge is an automatic effect with a specific kind of mark, while Combat Challenge works off of any mark the Fighter imposes).

And can go into Champion of Order to hit a guy three times for violating his mark.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2013-10-14 at 06:31 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Marks are different in that they explicitly call out that they override each other...
    Quite true, but if we're already houseruling away things that are inconvenient to let you make full use of multiclassing class features, why stop before combining the marks? I've certainly made stupider calls while homebrewing. :-P

Point is, you do have to be careful about removing rules... 3.5's Multiclassing rules were widely regarded as being too lenient in the combinations they allowed (and inconsistent in the few places they did limit you, like with Paladins), and that's the reason for the limitations to the system in 4E.

If you do decide to waive the rules here, you're going to need to contend with all those complications. Some still won't work thanks to technicalities (which you may or may not want to also waive), while others will work far too well. The point is, as soon as you say this is okay, only your dilligence will police those thousands of unforeseen combinations.

However, if you say that the guy was a Rogue the whole time... well, you only have to deal with Rogues. One of those sounds easier to me. :-P