Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Sands IC

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Frozen Sands IC

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    This assumes everyone that wanted to say something before arriving has done so, and that the party has now arrived outside the target building. It also assumes that we are within sight of the door to the room (as described earlier), but not in the direct way of people.

I address the three other speakers.

"Since you three seem so eager to be beaten up and stabbed, stay here and keep your eyes on that door until I come back. I'll take a look around and see if I can find any other exits from that room."

"...and try not to pick any fights with someone other than our prospective quarry while waiting... there are a lot of guards around."

I turn to the shy girl who haven't spoken to us since we left master Ylyja's locale.

"Freya, will you join me?"

I wait a moment for a response, then I start walking away from the group, around the building. I look for access points to the room and neighboring rooms, balconies, bridges, roof terraces, and similar features, recalling the memorized map as necessary to reference this to the street and block layout. I try to look somewhat inconspicuous, but I don't go to great lengths doing so.

Show
    To put it simply, more architectural information plox. I'd love any information I may have about how buildings like this are usually laid out, if there are any patterns and if I know of them, possibly assisted by Lore as appropriate. And in case it's not obvious, yes, I (and most of the others I'd reckon) want to know if someone exits said room in plain sight.

Is "master Ylyja" correct, as he is the master of house Ylyja, or should I perhaps start referring to him by the more generic "master Eiljyr" instead?
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-01 at 11:41 AM. Reason: I seem to accidentally use QUOTE- instead of SPOILER-blocks about 50% of the time.
    Until further notice, expect sporadic breaks in posting.

Ernest Gary Gygax (1938 – 2008)
    David Lance Arneson (1947 – 2009)
    Dungeons & Dragons (1974 – ∞)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theDragonmaster
    Is "master Ylyja" correct, as he is the master of house Ylyja, or should I perhaps start referring to him by the more generic "master Eiljyr" instead?
    You may use either, but the latter is probably better, since master Eiljyr implies that he is your master whereas master Ylyja is a general term for the master of house Ylyja.

Lynn, you know from your knowledge that, generally speaking, rooms only have one entrance, but a particularly wealthy person can join multiple rooms together to use both of their entrances. The entrances themselves can be doors in the side of the building or trapdoors leading to the roof or to tunnels underground. From what you can see on the outside, this room looks like a basic one-entrance deal, but it may be different within; you cannot tell whether walls have been demolished without entering. No one exits or enters during your inspection, and you arouse no more suspicion than a couple of prolonged glances from Guard members.
    Rules for Luck
    A (failed) Shadowcaster fix
    The Sangolu: mixing D&D's greatest foes
    Gestalt theurgy

When referring to Vaarsuvius, I (try to) use they/them/their/theirs/themself. Just my preference.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolep
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonmaster
    60>80
    This, I feel, deserves a quote on its own.
    RAI trumps RAW on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    Isn't it annoying when the cocky one is actually right?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    Do the doors of the adjacent rooms face the same side of the building as the one of our room of interest?

I'm eagerly awaiting to see if Sciffy leaps at the extremely fine crack of an opening I gave him, by the way.
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-01 at 12:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Do the doors of the adjacent rooms face the same side of the building as the one of our room of interest?
    The doors to adjacent rooms are predominently on the same side of the building, with some leading to corridors that in turn lead to the rooms deeper within the structure; however, there are a few doors on the other side which might lead to adjacent rooms. You can see none on the roof.
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

When referring to Vaarsuvius, I (try to) use they/them/their/theirs/themself. Just my preference.
    Show
    60>80

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Freya looks surprised when you single her out to join you but nods following you and as you start inspecting the building from the outside she asks

Do you think there is another way out?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Somewhat relieved by Freya's break from muteness, I reply:

"It's hard to tell, but we can at least hope not."

After a few moments, I add:

"So... if you don't mind me asking, what are your skills that make the gnome master choose you for our task? You don't seem to be a warrior like the other three."

After making the initial assessment, I proceed to walk up to the base of the building, below the door to our room of interest, and try to sense any magical auras from that vantage point. Still keeping it moderately inconspicuous. After that I return to the others.

Show
    Using Detect Magic (Sp), of course, concentrating to full effect. I can concentrate and move around using it, and it's spell-like, so it won't look too suspicious. Assuming modern real-world building standards, that fifth floor should be about 40 ft. up, less if the rooms are more cramped than 9 ft. ceilings (then again, they may want to accommodate the larger races comfortably too if they don't make specific housing for them, so idk), so the 60 ft. cone should hopefully be able to cover a bit of the depth of the room counting from the wall, especially if you find it sensible to let it emanate from some more elevated part of me than the soles of my feet.

@Rolep: So, basically we can't keep an eye on every exit without surrounding the building, correct? Not that it matters, since we don't know how the presumed thief/thieves look (or if it/they even exist), or how our sought-after item looks for that matter. It could be as small as a fly or as large as the room it's in for all we know, I'm just hoping I recognize it as a blessed mirror if I happen to see it.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't matter because I assume the mirror has already been moved before we arrived .

@Sciffy: I still don't know exactly what outlandish freak of a colour you are using! Grrr!
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-01 at 02:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    [color=#FCC200] its this one ololol #FCC200 one of the ones you suggested =p

She nods

I don't think there will be... She hesitates

I mean... She suddenly goes quiet

I don't know why I was chosen.. Luna is the warrior..

She pets Luna and smiles at her. Luna is happily sitting and jogging along next to Freya.
    Last edited by Sciffy; 2013-11-01 at 05:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

NecromancerGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, basically we can't keep an eye on every exit without surrounding the building, correct? Not that it matters, since we don't know how the presumed thief/thieves look (or if it/they even exist), or how our sought-after item looks for that matter. It could be as small as a fly or as large as the room it's in for all we know, I'm just hoping I recognize it as a blessed mirror if I happen to see it.
    You're correct.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't matter because I assume the mirror has already been moved before we arrived .
    Maybe...maybe not...

Lynn feels a moderately powerful magical aura emanating from the room beside the target, whose door is rotting on its hinges and chipped from overuse. No other effects permeate your supernatural vision.
    Last edited by Rolep; 2013-11-02 at 02:45 AM.
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

Show
    60>80

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Interesting... but not necessarily of any relevance.

As we return to the others, I share what little intelligence we have obtained.

"With some luck, the room is single and only has one exit... if it's not, we can't hope to cover all possible exits without stationing three of us all around the building."

"Oh... I'm not sure if this is important, but there is a significant magical aura in the neighboring room... if they are connected, it could be some kind of a trap... I thought you might want to know, just in case."
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-02 at 11:42 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

SamuraiGuy

I take in the new information, and reply:

"Well, we all know traps are bad. We should split up. Lynn and I will investigate this source of magic and deal with it. You three take the target. Are we agreed?"

Spoiler
    Show

Changed "inspect" to "investigate". Seemed more appropriate.
    Last edited by OOPWER; 2013-11-02 at 06:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

"I most certainly do not... we have no idea what in responsible for that aura, it might be the item we are looking for, but it could just as likely be something entirely unrelated, and if it is, we have no right to break into someones home to find out... I can't even tell if it's the only magical aura from down here."
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-03 at 09:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Rekis

"At this point, if we stand here arguing for much longer, they will leave and see us here outside." I say, slowly moving forward, and starting to carefully climb the stairs.

13. - Top - End - #73

SamuraiGuy

I shrug.

"If that's what you think about it."

I walk over to the neighboring door, where Lynn indicated the magical aura was emanating, and stretch a little bit.

Spoiler
    Show

OOC
    Getting ready to kick down the door, yeah buddy!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Freya quietly says as Invictus walks to the nieghbour's door

I don't think that's a good idea..

15. - Top - End - #75

NecromancerGuy

Invictus: You hear something behind the door where you're standing click, just loud enough to hear, like a lock being released, or a trap being primed.
    Last edited by Rolep; 2013-11-06 at 02:29 AM.
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

Show
    60>80

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As Invictus walks over to stand by the neighbouring door rather than by Rekis, rather annoyed I whisper loudly at him:

"I may not immediately run over and attract the attention of the Guard, but don't expect me to back you up."

I back off a bit from the base of the stairs as well, trying not to look too affiliated with the burglar.
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-06 at 09:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77

SamuraiGuy

I carefully signal Lynn and the rest of the party to shush with a finger on the lips, and gently lay my head against the battered door and try to hear if there is anything inside.

Spoiler: Perception Roll
    Show

(1d20+2)[9]

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The dice are not with me in this medium .
    Last edited by OOPWER; 2013-11-06 at 03:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

"Let us just do what we came here to do," I try not to sigh as I speak, glancing around at the others. It would have been so much easier to do this alone. I draw my longsword, holding it easily in my hand.
    Writer, Gamer, Bookworm and general Nerd
    Currently playing Lieraewen (AKA Wen), an elven monk, in a IRL Pathfinder game (every Sunday, whoop!)
    Also playing Emelina (AKA Eli/Midget) in the Amber DRPG, IRL, a rather irregular game of near death and messing around.

I am female. Just to clarify.
    ~MN

19. - Top - End - #79

NecromancerGuy

Invictus, as your head comes into cntact with the door, you hear a muffled rustle. The door crumbles into grey shards as a hand reaches through and places itself upon your shoulder. You feel your limbs freeze up and go stiff, refursing to respond to your inpulses, and a gnome appears in the doorway, clad in undergarments and bearing a sword resting on his shoulder, supported by a muscly left arm. His voice calls out with the slur of the drunk.
    "What do you want here? I ain't got nothing for you. What you looking for?"
    His questions are directed at the crowd at the bottom of the steps. Invictus's frozen eyes look into the room, where a dull glow emanates from just beyond his line of sight, concealed by a protruding cabinet crafted of polished and enchanted elm.
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

Show
    60>80

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Freya's face turns to surprise at the scene in front of her

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Not expecting either of the girls to respond to the question, and not feeling very keen on doing so myself, I wait to see if Rekis, who after all is closer, chooses to answer the gnome.

22. - Top - End - #82

SamuraiGuy

I straighten myself out, shaking the dust from the front of my shirt. Presenting the best front I can, I answer:

"My apologies, my good sir. My employer has heard that there has been some trouble concerning his stock in this area, and I was merely performing a routine check of this particular alley. May my friend and I come in and look around?"

Show

Praying I don't have to, but should I roll something? He's drunk, so he's likely to believe anything I say, but... y'know, I figured I'd ask. Also, I'm specifying if a friend can enter so Lynn (who at this point in time is the only person I'm aware that is familiar with magic) can enter with me and we can determine if this gnome and his magic item(s?) is a threat.

23. - Top - End - #83

NecromancerGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    @OOPWER: You'd need to roll a persuasion check, but as it happens...

Invictus: You try to move your mouth, but no sound comes out. Your muscles are locked in place, and you cannot move.
    The gnome peers over the rail and looks to the trio below, and along to where Rekis is standing, about ten feet along the raised walkway.
    "Well? Why you here?"
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

Show
    60>80

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So..sorry, wrong door. We want this one

She points to the stairs

Could you release him please, sir

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Impressed and somewhat inspired by Freya's courage, I turn toward the gnome and chime in:

"Yes, as you can see our... associate... is a blunt instrument at best, he must have misunderstood our objective. We promise to shorten his longe in the future if you would be kind enough to release him."

Show
    @Rolep: If you want interaction rolls for this, pick your choice from the post below (not bothering trying to get rolls in the same posts as other stuff, can't preview or edit or do anything right).

Oh, and... not trying to fish for information about the specific effect Invictus is suffering from, so please don't tell, but in the general case, will you roll saving throws for our characters, hidden? I am only asking since it could potentially raise issues in conjunction with certain choice-based abilities like most rerolls (not mine) and reactive immediate actions (like Invictus's Moment of Perfect Mind).
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2013-11-07 at 04:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    Skill check rolls, apply as you see fit (I myself see it as trying to convince the gnome to release our friend, but you might think otherwise, so I added the "convince him of the highly elaborate lie" roll as well):
    Persuasion: (1d20+8)[25]
    Deception: (1d20+6)[12]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Aid skill
    Show
    persuasion: (1d20+6)[22]

28. - Top - End - #88

NecromancerGuy

Show
    I will roll for you when effects are not under your control, such as saving throws & any rolls that you need to make when it is not your turn; when they are your actions, such as attacks, skill checks & caster level checks, you will roll.

EDIT: Please note that the above ruling only applies when you are unable to alter the roll/block the attack through special abilities/whatever.

Also, my notes are currently unavailable to me, so I may not be able to answer all your questions/make certain actions/reactions.

He considers your words for a second, then slowly nods.
    "Yes...yes, I suppose that makes sense. I'll let your dullard go, but don't try anything."
    He grips his sword tighter and grimaces, then waves his hand. Invictus feels his muscles loosen and his brain regain control.

Show
    My friend, who has a dirty mind, is laughing at the end of this post.
    Last edited by Rolep; 2013-11-07 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Fixing errors
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

Show
    60>80

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Being in front of the door, I try to make no noise, but look thankfully at the gnome. Then I look sadly at the Dullard, my gaze full of disappointment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eye Sign language FTW!

30. - Top - End - #90

NecromancerGuy

The gnome returns Rekis's look with a nod, then pauses for a second, his head tilted slightly upwards, and backs through his doorway. The door reappears, and through it can be heard the faintest of thuds, and perhaps a clink of steel or glass.
    Rules for Luck
    Gestalt theurgy

Show
    60>80