Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown - OOC II

The Bloody Crown – OOC II

We are not little men, and there is nothing that we are afraid of except Drink, and we have signed a Contrack on that. Therefore, we are going away to be kings.
    -
    Peachey Carnehan, The Man Who Would Be King (Rudyard Kipling)

IC Thread
    IC Thread II
    IC Thread III

OOC Thread I

Welcome to the second OOC thread for the Bloody Crown, our WFRP 2E campaign set in the Border Princes. Our intrepid PCs look forward to many more adventures, having overcome the perils of bandits and... well, mainly more bandits.

Rules of Posting

Spoiler
    Show
    Activity:
    • Expected rate of posting is at least once per day.
    • If you don’t post in 48 hours, I will take control of your character to move things along - usually making them agree with the others or stay in the background.
    • If you don’t post in a week, I will set your character's Fate Points to zero and start looking for ways to kill them off.

Going on hiatus with prior warning is absolutely fine: the above rules apply to unexpected disappearances. Drop me a notification before you’re going away/losing your internet access/what have you, and I’ll happily play your character as an NPC until you can return. If you disappear without warning, I will start badgering you.

Rolls:
    • Make all rolls using the forum dice roller, either in a spoiler-box in the relevant IC post, or in a separate post in this thread.
    • Some rolls (mainly ones at which you should not know whether you have succeeded or failed, and Tzeentch's Curse for spellcasters) I will make in secret.
    • As a time-saving device, I will roll all initiatives at the start of an encounter, allowing you to get straight to your actions rather than waiting about for each other.

Combat:
    When in combat, do not wait to post in sequence of initiative: post whenever you are free to post. If your actions depend on someone ahead of you in the initiative order, you can leave conditional OOC instructions. I will conduct my rolling for each combat round in this thread, and post an IC summary that signifies the end of the current round & the start of the next.

In combat I will use a grid map, which I will post an updated version of along with each turn's GM update.

Spoilers
    A spoiler titled 'X Only' is intended only for the eyes of the player playing the character X. Please don't read 'em if they're not intended for you - you could spoil some surprises.

Finally, as a general guideline: if in doubt, make a post. Situations do often arise where two people each think they're waiting on the other before they can post. Similarly, if you think you're waiting on someone else, or if you just want to know something before you make an IC post, ask in the OOC. Particularly if it's me. I do forget things, and I do need prodding some times to wake up!

Game Rules

Some handy links:
    Combat Crib-Sheet - A reference sheet for most things that can happen in combat.
    Hit Location Chart - a quick reference for when you want to know where you've hit someone.
    Imperial Coinage - useful for understanding the prices listed in the rulebook.

I have some house rules, which I will include here for completeness' sake. If you're still familiarising yourself with the core rules, don't worry too much about these: they are mostly here to clarify questions of wording, or fill gaps that the core rules just don't cover. I am not re-writing anything.

Miscellaneous House Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    At Your Mercy: Should one character be at another’s mercy (i.e. in a hold with a knife to their throat/back), the character holding the other hostage may make an attack against them under this condition. The attack will automatically hit the location of the hostage-holder’s choice. The damage is resolved as normal: however, in addition, it triggers a Critical Hit of the same value as if the victim had been at 0 wounds when the attack was made.

This condition applies solely at the GM’s discretion, and cannot be triggered simply by moving into contact with a character and declaring that you are holding them hostage: they must first either be overpowered by force or successfully snuck up upon.

Magic In Melee: Spells with multiple-round casting times require a concentration test every round that the spellcaster is engaged in combat.

Magic missiles may not be cast out of combat, although they may be cast on the wizard’s own attacker/s.

Point Blank Shots
    Symmetrically to the -20% penalty for shooting a missile weapon at long range, a shot at Point Blank range (within 6 yards/3 squares) receives a +20% bonus. Pistol-type weapons fired in close combat do not receive this bonus.

Swift Attacks
    All-out Attacks and Guarded Attacks can be made in conjunction with a Swift Attack, each remaining a Full Action and allowing the attacker to attack a number of times equal to his Attacks characteristic. The +20% from an AOA only applies to the first attack made; the -10% from a Guarded Attack applies to both attacks.

Critical Hits: ‘Medical Attention’
    Wherever the rules specify a condition “until medical attention has been received,” this refers to a successful Heal test.

Mounted Combat House Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    • A rider and mount move as one unit. The rider essentially substitutes the mount's Movement score for his own; the mount acts as an extension to the rider at the rider's Initiative.
    • Mounts are split into two categories: trained for combat, and not trained for combat.

Failure Modes: Ways To Fall Off Your Horse
    • In combat, when riding a mount not trained for combat, making any of the following actions requires a Ride Check:
      • Charge Attack
      • Disengage
      • Jump/Leap

If the check is failed, the desired action may not be taken, and a half action is lost. If the check is failed by three degrees or more, the mount throws its rider and bolts: he will require a Stand action to get back to his feet, and may suffer falling damage if the mount is tall enough.
    • A rider who does not have Ride trained must test Ride (Ride being a Basic Skill) to perform the following actions, regardless of whether his mount is combat-trained:
      • Run (test at +30)
      • Jump/Leap

If the check is failed, he falls from the saddle, as described above. If the check is failed by 3 degrees or more, the mount also bolts.
    • In a situation where an untrained rider is riding an untrained mount, the second list takes priority over the first (i.e. should the rider fail a Ride check to induce his mount to Jump/Leap, he will fall from the saddle regardless of his degrees of failure).
    • Should a mount be killed while still being ridden, the rider must make an Ag test. A pass means he falls freely to the ground, exactly as if he had been thrown; a failure means he falls under the mount's body. Freeing himself is a full action, requiring a successful Strength test – he cannot stand or move from the spot where he has fallen until he is free.

Fighting From Horseback
    • When attacking enemies on foot, being mounted grants the Higher Ground bonus (+10%).
    • A mount counts as another friendly character for the purposes of Outnumbering.
    • Opponents in combat with a mounted combatant may choose freely to target either the rider or the mount.
    • One may not use the Dodge Blow skill while mounted.
    • When making a Charge Attack, a mounted character may make the attack at any point in his movement. The two squares before the attack is made must still be in a straight line, and there must still be at least two squares between the start of the move and the target for the move to qualify as a charge. Using the remaining movement to move on and out of contact does not trigger a free attack from the target.
    • If the rider made a Charge Attack, a combat-trained mount may make a Charge Attack alongside him. Otherwise, if the mount and rider have moved no further than would be allowed by a Half Move, it may make a Standard Attack; if it has not moved at all, it may make a Swift Attack.
    • Untrained mounts will not attack alongside the rider.
    • While mounted, the following actions may be combined with a Half or Full Move:
      • Aim (missile weapons only)
      • Standard Attack (missile weapons only)
      • Cast
      • Ready
      • Reload
      • Use a Skill

Should any of the above be taken as extended actions (e.g. a casting or reload time of more than one Full Action), they require a successful Ride check to avoid automatic failure.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-14 at 10:55 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    Threads: I, II, III
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Threads: I, II
    Ill Met By Morrslieb
    Threads: I

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown - OOC II

The Broken Reaches Gazetteer

Our game takes place in a corner of the Border Princes known colloquially as the Broken Reaches. Known for their difficult, rocky terrain and the many small kingdoms that war over the territory, the Reaches are far from any form of civilisation beyond that safeguarded by the local lords. Sheltering in the shadow of the World's Edge Mountains, from the Reaches is it not far to the arid wastes of the Badlands in the south.

Below is the hex map:

Spoiler
    Show

The scale will be set at one hex being approximately 7 miles long. Therefore, the average movement speed of the party for a full day's march will be three hexes, although this will be significantly affected by terrain.

I will use a Cartesian coordinate system to refer to hexes. To work out the coordinates of a hex, count up through the hex rows to determine the y-coordinate, and then count left to right along the row itself to determine the x-coordinate. You begin the game in hex (5, 20).

Geography
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shepherd's Valley

Shepherd's Valley nestles in the shadow of some of the largest and most impassable rock formations of the Black Karst. Watered by the few streams that flow down from the Raven Hills, most of the valley is still quite wild: it is only around Duke Edouard's capital of Alvarran that the valley people have given up the shepherd's life for more settled agriculture. Coarse jokes about the precise relationship the people of Shepherd's Valley have with their sheep are common in the lands over the hills.

The road that runs through Alvarran, however, is far more cosmopolitan. Funnelled through a narrow cleft in the Black Karst at Pieter's Pass, whoever controls the pass controls half the trade routes to the south. It is also the safest and best-kept road for people coming from the north: in summer, Alvarran is often crowded with travellers and merchants from the different nations of the Old World.

The Raven Hills

Tall, craggy and forbidding, the Raven Hills breed craggy and forbidding folk. Insular and primitive, they have dwelt in the hills for as long as any of the lowlanders can remember. The hills provide poor living, and through much of the Broken Reaches' history the hill tribes have depended upon raiding their neighbours for survival. Many border princes have asserted dominion over them: none have succeeded in changing their nature. More than a few have met their end trying, their bones picked clean by the ravens that give the hills their name.

Life in the hills is short, and the hill tribes have developed a morbid religious sensibility, venerating Morr above all other gods. Some outsiders who have visited have brought back queer tales of strange rituals and customs quite divorced from any worship of Morr known in the civilised lands of the north.

The Uplands

Situated on a shelving plateau to the north-east, the Uplands sit with their back to the World's Edge Mountains. On a clear day, it is said that from the towers of Bunthafen one can see the smoking peak of Thunder Mountain - the volcano the dwarfs call Karag Dron.

Like Shepherd's Valley, the Uplands are a gateway to the north. Unfortunately, the road that runs north from Bunthafen runs close to the mountains: merchants from Tilea and the Empire prefer to take the Alvarran road, where they have less chance of being abducted by Night Goblins and do not have to walk in the shadow of an active volcano. Those who do come by the east road come infrequently and in armed caravans. Dwarfs sometimes come with them: the World's Edge are the dwarfs' home territory, and it is said that they were the ones that built the road in the days of their empire.

The Black Karst

A forest of sharp-toothed limestone crags, the Black Karst is a strange place. Named for the sooty streaks that run through the stones - perhaps the relics of some ancient fire or volcanic eruption - the rock formations of the Karst jut up from the ground like the broken teeth of a shark, creating a maze of twisting paths between them. Where light can penetrate the natural labyrinth, stunted trees grow in the poor soil, their saplings sprouting in cracks and crevices on the higher flanks of the rocks.

An easy place for an ambush, and an even easier place to get lost, the Karst has been a natural barrier between the warring princes of the Broken Reaches since time immemorial. There is no living to be made in the shadow of the stones, and so they remain a wild place. Those who wish to cross do so either through Pieter's Pass, or by boarding a boat at Putbad and travelling down the Azril.

The Giant's Teeth

While the living in the Raven Hills in hard, the living in the Giant's Teeth is non-existent. Taller still than their neighbours, their sharp crags are little more than barren rock, scoured clean from the west by sandstorms coming off the Pale Waste. Precipitous and perilous, they are prone to frequent rockslides. There are no known passes through these hills, and the locals in the surrounding lands tell stories of all manner of monsters living there to frighten their children.

The Downlands

The jewel of the Broken Reaches, the Downlands are a fertile flood plain surrounding the broad sweep of the river Azril as it makes its way down from the Karst and into the Bracken Mere. Border Princes have warred over these lands for as long as anyone can remember; fortunately, their 'battles' have generally been too small and petty to do any lasting damage to the land itself.

Sitting in the centre of the Downlands is the town of Savonne. The largest and richest for miles around, it sits on a lode of gemstones that some say the dwarfs first opened up, centuries ago. Dominating the fertile countryside and sitting squarely in the centre of overland and river-bound trade routes, it is the prize all border princes aspire to. Despite the formidable natural defences of the Black Karst and the Giant's Teeth, most of them do not hold onto it for very long.

Thornwood

South of the Downlands, the Thornwood sprawls over a far larger region than it ought to. Covering rolling hills and hollows with a carpet of forest, many princes have seen it as a resource to be harvested. Most of them have been disappointed: the trees do not grow as tall or as straight as honest northern trees, and their wood splits and warps at the least opportunity. Most attempts to settle in or around the forest have met with limited success, as the soil is surprisingly poor. This is particularly pronounced in the forest's southern reaches, where the woods are wildest and humans seldom walk.

Despite its ill reputation, the road from Savonne runs south through the Thornwood. Perhaps this is simply because it has no choice, other than to plunge into the Bracken Mere and sink. The recent discovery of gold at Handrich's Cross, however, has given many people an incentive to take the forest road.

The Bracken Mere

A vast swamp that sprawls between the Giant's Teeth and the Thornwood, the Bracken Mere is where the river Azril ends its life. By its border with the Thornwood, the marsh remains wooded - as one goes west, however, the trees die off, giving way to endless reed-beds.

There are no certain paths through the Mere - or if there are, the local guides who know them keep them determinedly secret. Local legend says that the Mere was the site of a great battle in ancient times, and that the bog is still choked with the bones of the fallen. The truth of this is up for question, but the local swamp-skimmers do sometimes dredge up strange bronze blades and rotted chariot-wheels from the mire.

The Hidden Vale

Nestled between the rolling hills of the Thornwood and the jagged rocks of the Black Karst, the Hidden Vale represents one last strip of fertile land before the badlands of the south. Although tiny, its size and position make it highly defensible, and the recent discovery of gold at Handrich's Cross has made it highly profitable too.

Funnily enough, throughout much of the history of the Broken Reaches, the Hidden Vale has gone untenanted by any major warlord. Some attribute this to its obscurity, claiming that it is possible for a man to walk within half a mile of the Vale on either side without even realising it is there. Others say there is something unwholesome in the water or the soil that drives people away. The inhabitants of the Vale do have a reputation for congenital madness, but most attribute this to inbreeding.

The Dead Hills

Rising clear of the Thornwood's southernmost reaches at the bottom of the Hidden Vale, the smooth, rounded summits of the Dead Hills are a rocky, sand-blown desert. No-one knows why nothing grows there, but one does not have to travel far before even the lichen begins to recede.

People tell tales of the lost city of Nath, of sorcerers of the Black Caliph who blighted the hills with their magic. Others speak of the Lost Library, and the meddling of wizards. Only one thing is agreed: the Dead Hills are a fearful, desolate place where only a fool would tread.

The Iron Claw Hills

An arid expanse of scrubland, broken by rocky ridges and low, rolling hills, the Iron Claw Hills are the last boundary between the rest of the Reaches and the Badlands beyond. As such, they are infested with greenskins - namely, the Orcs of the Iron Claw tribe, and their goblin retainers. This is the fearsome clan that spawned Gorbad Ironclaw, and if the orcs beyond the hills were to unite, they would pose a military threat far greater than any border prince. Thankfully, they seem mostly content to fight among themselves - nevertheless, for humans living in the Iron Claw hills, periodic greenskin raids are a fact of life.

Last Water

Sheltered by a crescent of high ridges from the surrounding Iron Claw Hills, Last Water is an island of green vegetation and fresh water in the midst of an arid wasteland. So called because it is the last opportunity for travellers to stock up on water before entering the Badlands proper, the black soil of the region is curiously fertile in comparison to its neighbouring lands. A few small streams flow down off what the locals call the Black Hills, making some limited agriculture possible.

The peace of Last Water, however, is fragile. With the Iron Claw Hills before them, the Pale Waste to the west, and the limitless expanse of the Badlands at their back, the people of Last Water must be ever on their guard for greenskin raids. Two narrow roads connect them to the wider world - without these arteries of trade, life in Last Water would be even harder than it already is.

The Pale Waste

A waterless desert of blown sand, the Pale Waste is remarkable for being even more lifeless and desolate than the Badlands surrounding it to the west. Few landmarks in the Waste stay in the same place for long. Without a skilled navigator, it is easy to wander for days within a few miles of the same point, and it is difficult to find a skilled navigator who will willingly enter the Waste.

Among the people of the Reaches, it has a fearful reputation, the locus of all kinds of peasant myths and superstitions. People speak of ancient ruins hidden by the shifting sands, relics of the lost civilisation of Nehekhara. More than one adventurer has been tempted into the Waste by the lure of Nehekharan gold. Few have ever returned.

The Powers That Be
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jarl Rorik Wolf-Risen
    A fearsome Norseman, Jarl Rorik has a reputation as a warrior of great strength. The Jarl has established himself as a bandit lord among the tribes of the Raven Hills: their raiding ways suit him well.

Duke Edouard
    An expatriate Bretonnian of noble birth, Duke Edouard has held onto power in the Broken Reaches for some time - an achievement not to be sniffed at. He is responsible for extinguishing the careers of several other local lords, and rules with a firm hand.

Count Eberhard Groz
    A man of common blood from the Empire, Eberhard is a career soldier with a talent for command. He has secured his kingdom around the old fortress of Bunthafen: those who think a man of his breeding is not fit to rule over others will have a hard time dislodging him.

Prince Belehir
    A High Elf of Ulthuan, Belehir was known only as a deadly sword for hire - until, that is, the town of Savonne was engulfed in the frenzy of violence known as the Beheading of the Wolf. The peasants say that when the bloodshed finally ceased, Belehir was the only one found alive in the throne room. What he saw inside the mad duke's keep he has never revealed, but he accepted the rulership of Savonne with a strange sense of duty. Since then, he has kept the town safe, despite several attempts by his neighbours to topple him. He is widely distrusted, and many ask what business an elf has ruling over honest men.

Grand Commander Mathau Evatt
    A leader of the Knights Mariner, few understand what brought this templar of Manaan this far into the arid, landlocked south. Nonetheless, here he is: he and his followers have founded the stronghold of Manaan's Keep, and seem to see it as their sacred duty to nurture the flow of trade in the region. Many say the Grand Commander is a little eccentric, which as everyone knows means mad and rich.

Capitano Muzio Sforza
    A Tilean condottieri of supposedly high-born origins, Captain Sforza is a young and ruthless contender for rulership of the Marches. A military commander with a fine strategic mind, he is matched only by his dazzling wife - an object of envy for many of the other lords.

The above is already known by anyone with Common Knowledge (Border Princes), and easy to learn for anyone who doesn't. Further details about individuals and places will be dispensed on a case-by-case basis, through information-gathering, Knowledge checks, and sometimes by default for characters born in the region. Don't assume that everything is the same as it was described in the original thread!

Setting Information Acquired By The Party

The town of Alvarran

The Wiki (use it!)

Inn Prices
    {table]Inn | Private Room | Common Hall | Meal | Wine | Ale | Bath
    Il Calice D'Oro | 16s | 10p | 5p | 1s (bottle) | 2p (stein) | 1s[/table]
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-02 at 06:33 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

3. - Top - End - #3

Dramatis Personae

The Party
    RossN Adelbert Schreiber
    TheSummoner Sieghard
    -Sentinel- Elsabeth Holt
    LeSwordfish Ludovic Stubbs
    NorthernLad Viggo Hirtzel

NPC Index

Spoiler
    Show
    The Court of Duke Edouard Alvarr

Duke Edouard Alvarr A stern man of military bearing, Duke Alvarr forged his domain from territory that was previously claimed by multiple feuding warlords. Originally hailing from Bretonnia, he travelled for some time with a mercenary company known as the Storm Swords. He does not suffer fools gladly.
    Janos Forkbeard A native of Alvarran and a survivor of the previous regime(s), Janos Forkbeard is Alvarr's chancellor and chief administrator.
    Henri Ducos Duke Alvarr's Master of Horse. Ducos is a taciturn man with a face only a mother could love.
    Eugen Jager A lieutenant of Duke Alvarr, nicknamed "Alvarr's Bulldog" by the people of Alvarran. Jager is known for his stubborn loyalty and his harsh discipline.

Subjects of Duke Edouard Alvarr
    Sergeant Marat The commander of Duke Alvarr's garrison at Hartmut's Fall. Marat is an old soldier with the scars of many battles - including several missing fingers.
    Father Jurgen Hechsler A Sigmarite priest, Father Hechsler was displaced from his temple in Alvarran when the building was appropriated by Duke Alvarr to construct the Chapel of Our Lady Victorious, and turned to drink. Adelbert found him a placement at Elmridge, with the help of Janos Forkbeard.
    Brother Odo An extremely pious grail pilgrim, and the custodian of the Chapel of Our Lady Victorious in Alvarran. Some might describe Odo as a little touched in the head, but not to his face: he is a large, strong man, and carries his old morning-star everywhere he goes. Odo claims he is the one who discovered the remains of the legendary grail knight Sir Leodoric the Just under Alvarran Castle - remains which are now enshrined at the chapel. Odo likes to encourage visitors to his chapel to seek the dead grail knight's blessing. He also likes to hug.
    Father Vengist Alvarran's resident priest of Morr. With the aid of his assistant Berthold, Father Vengist tends to the Garden of Morr outside the city walls. He takes a dim view of the folk worship of Nahorek, and is unfriendly towards wizards.
    Madame Rosmerta Morte A barber-surgeon with a faraway air, who is perhaps a bit keen on amputations. 100% legit.
    Herr Leiber Madame Morte's entrepreneurial housemate and business partner. Sells 100% legit meat pies.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Hall of Jarl Rorik Wolf-Risen
    Jarl Rorik Wolf-Risen Ruler of Morr's Seat.
    Hakon Blood-Song Alluded to by Eugen Jager.
    Wadim Alluded to by Kelda Wave-Born
    Kelda Wave-Born Encountered by the party leading a small warband of hill-folk in the south of the Raven Hills. One of Rorik's Norscan retinue.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Company of Captain Mufio Sforza
    Captain Mufio Sforza Tilean mercenary captain, and Lord of Last Water. Campaigned in Araby before coming to the Broken Reaches.
    Irene Sforza ("la Bella") Sforza's wife. Her beauty is renowned throughout the Reaches.
    Daniele Barbaro Priest of Myrmidia, and Sforza's only religious adviser. Has a liking for Arabyan coffee and a flexible attitude to the truth. Elsa's newfound patron. Nicknamed the "old goat" by Viggo.
    Abdul Al-Makir Treasurer, tax collector and paymaster of Sforza's forces. Joined the Captain during his Arabyan campaigns, and has a retinue of Arabyan mercenaries. Has a reputation as the man who can get you anything... for a price.
    Giovanni Carraciolo Commander of Sforza's Tilean pikemen, the Iron Company.
    Esteban de Valdes Commander of Sforza's Estalian swordsmen, the Brotherhood of Magritta.
    Makeda Commander of Sforza's Southlander mercenaries, the ahosi of Danxome.
    Balthus Bianco Renowned physician, and personal doctor to Irene Sforza. His apprentices work as army surgeons for Mufio's mercenaries.

Citizens of Last Water
    Filomena Owner of the Happy Serpent brothel. Travelled for a long time with Sforza's army and supposedly enjoys good standing with the Captain. Has a fearsome reputation among the prostitutes who work for her. Did not take well to Viggo's amorous advances.

Free Agents
    Spoiler
    Show

Karl the Carter A travelling trader who makes a living transporting goods between the settlements of the Broken Reaches. A taciturn man, he seems to know his way around a crossbow.
    Sir Tancred du Bahorel & Chlodbert A questing knight from the duchy of Bordeleaux, Sir Tancred has come to the Broken Reaches in search of the Grail. He is accompanied by his trusty page Chlodbert, who is the only one of the pair to speak Reikspiel.
    Johannes Klammenberg & Udolf A man of letters from the town of Maylhof, in Stirland. Klammenberg is travelling the Broken Reaches by coach, and claims to be carrying out some historical research for a wealthy patron. He is escorted by his silent coachman, Udolf.
    Thengdrim Ungdrinaz A Dwarf Slayer, encountered by the party in Alvarran. He blames Elsa for getting him turfed out of the Gilded Beetle, when it was in fact all Viggo's fault.
    Armin A stern but seemingly charismatic priest who has become the self-appointed leader of the village of Greasy Drop. Is hailed as having saved the villagers from famine and bandits, but has an unnerving enthusiasm for blood sacrifice. Calls his god "Ahalt".

Other NPCs by location

Elmridge
    Gant (village elder) [deceased]
    Flitch (bowyer)
    Heloise (shepherdess)

Hartmut's Fall
    Ortholf (barber-surgeon)
    Thibault (armourer)
    Arnulf (spearman)
    Fauchard (archer)

Alvarran
    Donar (keeper of a farmstead near the city)
    Sister Mathilde (priestess of Shallya) ['orribly murdered]
    Rabelais (gambler)
    Herr Geiger (gambler)
    Felix, Ulf and Marquand (lads about town)
    Yonec (cobbler) and his wife, Elspeth
    Herr Schiller (candlemaker)
    Mad Gustaf (adventurer?)
    Baldred (travelling merchant)
    Pepin (carter, employed by Baldred)
    Sorin & Skender (tribesmen from the Raven Hills, employed by Baldred as guards)

Greasy Drop
    Adva (peasant)

Turnpike Hollow
    Gautmar (village leader/bandit chief)
    Akela (wise woman)
    Kashto (inexperienced ambusher)
    Nahab [deceased] (particularly inexperienced ambusher)

Sermena
    Massimo (retired Tilean mercenary)
    Eena Tumblebright (halfling, miner)
    Norbert "Nobby" Burrows (halfling, looks after the inn for Gill)
    "Old" Gill Brandyhill (halfling, village elder, proprietor of the inn)
    Odo Stubbs - Ludo's father (mine owner)
    Petra Stubbs - Ludo's younger sister (mine administrator)
    Theda Bramcot (halfling)
    Lisbet (halfling)

Mirino
    Marek (Innkeeper at Il Calice D'Oro)
    Shandor (peasant)
    Mihai (smith)
    Paulo & Marko (apprentices to Doctor Bianco)
    Chiara (seamstress)
    Kaja (peasant boy) and his mother Mirjana.
    Natasa (goatherd)
    Talbert Tallfellow (court representative for Sermena's halflings)
    The Iron Company
    Giuliano (Pikeman. Adelbert's nemesis, makes fun of him in front of the ladies)
    Luca (Pikeman. Adelbert's nemesis, makes fun of him in front of the sentries)
    Beppe (Pikeman. Elsa's one-night stand)
    Orfeo and Cesar (Pikemen. Elsa's bodyguards for her "mapping expedition")
    The Brotherhood of Magritta
    Felipe, Miguel & Valentin (Estalian mercenaries)
    The Ahosi of Danxome
    Oseye & Etunu (Southlander mercenaries)
    The Happy Serpent
    Abelie, Serafina, Nadiyya, Reena, Nuri, Nadia & Aisha (Prostitutes)
    Pietro (Mute bouncer)

Caerfort
    Jacen (lodge keeper)
    Orderic (village elder)
    Abelard (young villager, does sentry duty in the tower)
    Dhuoda (goatherd)
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-06 at 05:20 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

4. - Top - End - #4

Timekeeping

This game will keep track of a detailed IC calendar. This will function both to track the time of year, and as a countdown to the end of the game: once three IC years have passed, the game ends. Most major NPCs will have timetables that they will adhere to in the absence of PC interference. Concentrating on one small region may leave you blind to threats evolving outside that region.

Note that this means I fully expect your characters to spend a fair amount of downtime doing unremarkable things, where days or weeks can be glossed over in a couple of posts. Three years of real-time PBP play would take forever! If you have some trade skills or whatnot, and feel like applying them to earn some money in a town you pass through - or anything of that ilk - then go right ahead. If the rest of the group want to go on an adventure and you want to take some time out, then that's fine too, although you should be advised that an adventure might take a long time to be resolved due to the pace of PBP play.

We'll be using the Imperial Calendar, since it is the most detailed. Below are the details of the Imperial year:

The Imperial Calendar

The Imperial year lasts 400 days. It is divided into twelve months, with six holidays not considered part of any month. These are picked out in bold.

Hexenstag Witching Day
    Nachexen 32 days
    Jahrdrung 33 days
    Mitterfruhl Spring Equinox
    Pflugzeit 33 days
    Sigmarzeit 33 days
    Sommerzeit 33 days
    Sonstill Summer Solstice
    Vorgeheim 33 days
    Geheimnistag Day of Mystery
    Nachgeheim 32 days
    Erntzeit 33 days
    Mittherbst Autumn Equinox
    Brauzeit 33 days
    Kaldezeit 33 days
    Ulriczeit 33 days
    Mondstill Winter Solstice
    Vorhexen 33 days

Every Old World culture has many holy days and festivals scattered throughout the year. Details of these can be found in the Tome of Salvation (p.144), a sourcebook on religion and priestly careers. Local practices vary widely, but I'll be trying to remember the big ones and maybe throw in a few regional ones too.

The Imperial Week

The Imperial week lasts eight days.

Wellentag
    Aubentag
    Marktag
    Backertag
    Bezahltag
    Konigstag
    Angestag
    Festag

My GM posts will have date stamps - if an IC day goes past and I forget, remind me!

Alright, that's everything. Please make your first post in this thread a re-posting of your character sheet; I will edit the links in the table at the head of the previous post as the new versions go up.
    Last edited by LCP; 2014-04-06 at 05:28 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Sieghard receives a bonus 100 for leading a very successful ambush party and subsequently intimidating Gautmar into backing down.
    Woohoo!

I think I'll use 100 to advance BS to 49 and save the other 100 for now.

Still need to account for rations eaten and the pay Baldred is giving us, but I'm going to save that for the end and do it all at once. Otherwise I should be up to date.

------

Sieghard

Career: Mercenary
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 155 lbs
    Appearance: Brown Hair, Blue Eyes, Long scar on his left arm.
    Star Sign: Wymunt the Anchorite (Sign of Enduring)
    Doom: When the bell doth toll, it doth toll for thee.
    Experience: 50/850 (Current/Total Earned)

Main
    WS BS S T AG Int WP Fel
    41 49 41 31 42 36 34 29

Secondary
    A W SB TB M Mag IP FP
    2 12 4 3 4 0 0 2

Armor Points - Full Leather Armor, Mail Shirt
    Head: 1
    Body: 3
    Arms: 1
    Legs: 1

Spoiler
    Show
    Base Stats
    Main
    WS BS S T AG Int WP Fel
    31 39 36 31* 37 36 34 29

Secondary
    A W SB TB M Mag IP FP
    1 12 3 3 4 0 0 2

*Shallya's Mercy

Advance Scheme
    Main
    WS BS S T AG Int WP Fel
    10/10 10/10 0/5 0/5 5/5 - 0/5 -

Secondary
    A W SB TB M Mag IP FP
    1/1 0/2 - - - - - -

Advances
    Mercenary: +10 WS, +10 BS, +5 Ag, +1 Attacks (Free Advance)

Talent-Based: +5% Strenth (Very Strong)

Skills Purchased
    Mercenary: Haggle, Search

Talents Purchased
    Mercenary: Strike Mighty Blow

Skills
    Common Knowledge (Brettonia, The Border Princes), Dodge Blow, Gamble, Gossip (+10% Mastery), Haggle, Perception, Ride, Search, Secret Language (Battle Tongue), Speak Language (Reikspiel), Swim

Spoiler
    Show
    Human: Common Knowledge (The Border Princes), Gossip, Speak Language (Reikspiel)

Mercenary: Gamble, Common Knowledge (Bretonnia), Dodge Blow, Ride, Gossip, Haggle, Perception, Secret Language (Battle Tongue), Swim

Talents
    Human (Random): Very Strong, Night Vision

Mercenary: Rapid Reload, Sharpshooter, Strike Mighty Blow, Quick Draw

Trappings:
    Wearing: Shirt, Breeches, Belt, Worn Boots, Leather Skullcap, Leather Jack, Leather Leggings, Mail Shirt, Hooded Cloak (Dark Blue)

Weapons: Sword, Dagger (Tucked in his belt), Shield, Crossbow (26 Bolts), Bow (10 Arrows)

Misc:
    Backpack - Blanket, Wooden Tankard, Wooden Cutlery Set, Tattered Cloak, Rope (10 Yards), Wolf Pelt, Bottle of Copher Vintage (Spiced Arabyan Wine), Rations (6 Days), 2 Waterskins (Full), Silver Wolf Coin from The Happy Serpent, Coin Purse (4gc, 2s, 2p)

(Last updated post timeskip to the 28th. Gambling not yet accounted for.)

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard was born in Danford, a small village west of the Broken Reaches on what was then the contested boarder of Jarl Rorick's lands and the territory controlled by Lord Halvard. He was the middle of 5 children. His father was a member of the local militia.

When Sieghard was 12, men loyal to Lord Halvard raided Danford. Sieghard's father was slain, his mother and siblings either killed, taken, or fled. When the raid was over, Sieghard picked through the wreckage. He found a scant handful of coins and a sword abandoned in the ruins. He swore revenge against Halvard and those who served him.

Three years later, Lord Halvard would be slain in battle against his rivals in The Border Princes. His death would have absolutely nothing to do with Sieghard.

With his home destroyed and family lost, Sieghard joined with a few of the other survivors and traveled north. They stole as they needed to and robbed when they could get away with it. Eventually the group found themselves in a small town. Some found new lives, Sieghard and a few others joined up with a band of mercenaries.

Sieghard had no experience. He was not expected to survive long. Only the fact that he already had his own (stolen) equipment had convinced the mercenaries to take him. Whether through determination or pure luck, Sieghard managed to survive, even when the mercenary company was destroyed on a poorly chosen job.

Having no other skills, Sieghard continued to work as a sword for hire. Sometimes with a group, sometimes independently, he sold his skills to whoever would pay.

His fortunes turned sour yet again, Sieghard found himself headed towards the village of Elmridge in look for a bit of work. The most recent mercenary company he served with was all but wiped out so he is going there in hopes of making a bit of money on his own until he can find a new group to sign on with.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2014-04-09 at 11:48 AM.
    Quick link for Forum Emblem Rules

Megaman 9: Mr. Perfect Challenge
    I DID IT!!! I FINALLY DID IT!!!

Megaman 10: Mr. Perfect Challenge
    I DID... Ya know what? It's not nearly as hard as 9 was...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Ludovic Stubbs

"Adventurer. By trade. When the opportunity arises."

WS BS S T Ag Int Will Fel
    18 41 21 21 49 48 27 47
    0/2 - - - 0/2 2/2 0/2 1/1

Attacks:
    Wounds: 4/8
    Move: 4
    Fortune: 2/4
    Fate: 3

Skills: Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry), Charm, Common Lore (Halflings, Border Princes), Concealment, Evaluate, Gossip, Perception, Pick Lock, Read/Write, Scale Sheer Surface, Search, Silent Move, Speak Language (Rijkspiel, Halfling, Classical, Khazalid), Trade (Miner),

Talents: Specialist weapons training (Sling), Night Vision, Resistant to Chaos, Mimic, Sixth Sense, Tunnel Rat.

Gear: Clothes, cloak, dagger, backpack, blanket, cutlery, tankard, walking-stick (hand weapon), lamp and oil, 10ft rope, two sacks, crowbar, wide-brimmed hat, Sling and ammunition, 3GP, 0SP, 13CP, one sheet of vellum, two candles of dark wax. Rubbing of Madam Morte's broken brooch, rubbing of symbol on Alvarran sword.

Career: Tomb Robber

Advances/Stat Changes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shallya's blessing on Strength, swapped Agility and Weapon Skill.
    +5 int free advance
    +5 int 100xp
    Charm as elite advance 200xp
    +5 fel 100xp
    Luck 100xp
    Silent Move 100xp

Background
    Spoiler
    Show

Height: 4'2"
    Weight: 115lbs
    Hair: Dark Brown
    Eyes: Hazel
    Star Sign: Dragomas the Drake (Sign of Courage)
    Doom: "Follow not the steps of Dragomas."

The small man fed the small dog a scrap of chicken and smiled up at the two mercenaries. They exchanged glances. “Say all that again.” Nosewood said eventually.

The small man gave an indulgent chuckle. He was a middle-aged halfling, short, stout, wearing faded breeches and shirt under a battered, brightly coloured jacket, and a wide-brimmed flat cloth hat. "My name, good sirs, is Ludovic Stubbs. Yes, indeed, that Ludovic Stubbs. Born in Last Water, in the lands of Capitano Sforza, grew up under vicious attacks from the undead, the greenskins, and the ratmen of the wastes. Killed a dozen ratmen defending my fathers farm. But that wasn’t enough adventure for me, oh no. Back when I was a strapping lad, I needed more. Turned my love for adventure into a love of the open road. Took to raiding barrows and tombs. Hundreds of crowns worth of artefacts I took from them, sometimes right under the nasal cavities of their old inhabitants. Some of those tombs are Morr’s own house, let me tell you. Hidden blades, sharp as needles, poisons that have only matured over time. I took jewels from dragon’s eyes, with barely scorched feet. I’m the only halfling to return alive from the slopes of the red pyramid. I’m an entrepreneur: I gather, collect, and sell the antiquities these tombs hold. And now I wish to do your little band the honour of joining it.”

The two mercenaries gave each other another look. Ludovic pretended to ignore it, and fed the dog a bit more chicken. “This here is Stoutheart, by the way. I’m sure he’d wish to join too.”

“Where in these lands do dragons dwell?” Nosewood began.
    “Oh. Around and abouts.”
    “For a man with hundreds of crowns to his name, you certainly were unwilling to pay for your own meat.” Nosewood’s companion, Dullhelm commented.
    “I, ah, prefer...”
    “Ratmen don’t really attack from the wastes.”
    “These ones were, ah, misplaced...”
    “And nobody returns alive from the red pyramid.” Nosewood was very firm on this. Ludovic blanched briefly, but seemed to rally and drew himself up to his full height. “I did.”
    “No you didn’t, halfling.” The two mercenaries stood. “We’ve seen enough.” Dullhelm nodded. “You can pay for your own damn meat.”

Ludovic stood, (pulling the chicken away from the dog) and squared up to the men. “I am a legitimate businessmen, and i will not accept these aspersions on my character.”
    “You are a liar, and a grave robber, and we will not sully the honour of our company by...”
    “Please!” The impassioned plea caught the attention of the entire bar. Ludovic looked briefly embarrassed, then continued. “I want to be an adventurer. All my life i’ve been sneaking around in old barrows and stealing trinkets from corpses. I want excitement. I want adventure. Won’t you let me join?”
    Nosewood shook his head. “We don’t take liars.”

After the two men had gone, Ludo sat down again. The dog whined at his ankle, and he threw it another piece of chicken with a sigh. “Ah well, Stoutheart.” he said. “We live and we learn.”
    He drew a scrap of parchment from his pack and crossed “Nosewood’s Irregulars” off a long list.
    "Meeting the Ramkin Swordsmen in half an hour." he commented. "Perhaps they won't ask so many questions."

Going to pick up another Int advance for Ludo, and continue to save the rest for when I can move into the Theif class.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2014-05-12 at 12:05 PM.
    - pl_crusoe - plr_Jackal - Tumblr - @LeSwordfish - Portal Buttons -
    -Adopted map - #72hrmap - Writing - Twitter - Original Portal mechanic -
    - Dark Heresy: Lost and Gone Forever -

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

a.k.a. Beatrix Hildebrand

Race: Human
    Career: Apprentice Wizard – Bright Order

Description: Elsabeth is a young woman of average height and dark complexion, with a wealth of unruly, soot-stained red hair that no comb or soap seems to have touched in weeks. Her most striking features are her amber eyes and the swirling red tattoos adorning her narrow face. The tattoos extend to most of her body, but her face is the only part showing any skin – her clothes consist of a well-worn black leather coat reaching her knees, open at the front; decidedly unladylike horsehide pants; a belt made of interlocking brass links; thick leather gloves of the fire-resistant kind used by blacksmiths; high boots; and a wide-brimmed hat that appears to have caught fire at least twice in the past.

When working as a court wizard in the service of Captain Sforza of Mirino under the name of Beatrix Hildebrand, Elsa makes a better effort at grooming; she could actually look like the noble-born lady she is were it not for her tattoos. She wears an elegant dark red-dress made for warm climates and replaces her boots with sandals.

As one can expect of a Bright wizard, Elsa is fiery, passionate, stubborn and reckless. She walks and acts like she owns the place and never sugar-coats her words; of her noble upbringing, she seems to have retained only the arrogance, not the manners. Overconfident and eager to prove herself, she is the kind of person who would never back down from a challenge, no matter how foolish or pointless.

Background: Born the sixth child of a minor Altdorf noble house that was too impoverished to have any power but too proud to mingle with commoners, Elsa’s marriage prospects were rather few. Being raised with only male siblings had given her a wild, rebellious temperament that did not help matters. She first revealed her magical potential at age fourteen, when she foiled an attempt to marry her off to a suitor three times her age by setting the man’s forked beard aflame. At that point, her parents gave up on her, scratched her off the family tree and sent her off to the Bright College, where wizards from all the Empire and beyond studied the Lore of Fire.

Elsa turned out to be gifted with a strong will and seemingly instinctive control over the red wind of Aqshy, but proved hopeless when it came to anything remotely theoretical, owing to her intellectual laziness and lack of discipline. No amount of chores would keep her from talking back to authority figures, neglecting her studies or sneaking into the boys’ dormitory at night – in fact, punishing her appeared to make her only more aggressively unruly. Things took a turn for the worse when she got into magical duelling; a tradition that is tacitly encouraged among Bright Order students, but in which she would engage with somewhat excessive enthusiasm, causing more property damage and visits to the infirmary than any other Bright College apprentice in living memory.

Disaster struck near the end of Elsa’s junior apprenticeship, when she challenged a fellow student, Theo (with whom she had an escalating feud for reasons long forgotten by both) to a secret duel at midnight on the roof of the college building. She turned up at the duel half-drunk and with only tenuous control over her powers. The short but incredibly violent exchange of spells ended with Theo burned to a crisp and Elsa on the run from her masters. The fugitive apprentice is now looking for a place away from the Imperial law’s long reach, and the Border Princes seem like such a place.

Two months ago
    Spoiler
    Show
    Midnight…

Lurching drunkenly on the rain-slick tiles of the roof, acting more on instinct than skill, Elsabeth dodged the narrow stream of blue fire at the last second and only just managed to keep her footing. With her mind, she reached out to Aqshy – the Red Wind was rather slippery in this kind of weather – to shape it into a hurried counter-attack; she just needed to buy a few heartbeats to regain her bearings. Her retaliation took the form of a blinding yellow light meant to mimic a fireball. It succeeded in making Theo throw himself flat on the roof, his cloak and staff raised defensively in front of his face. Elsa used that precious time to plant her feet more solidly, slam the butt of her staff on the tiles and channel Aqshy into something more powerful.

An alarming smell of burning leather reached her nostrils and a searing pain dawned around her left ear. Her concentration broken, she released the Red Wind from her grasp and took off her wide-brimmed hat. It was, as she half-expected, on fire – her dodge had not quite been fast enough. Swearing like a sailor, she slapped it repeatedly against her leather coat until the fire was put off, leaving a blackened area where the brim and the crown met. So it was not made of real dragon hide after all. She would need to have a little chat with that seller tomorrow.

She felt the tug on the wind of Aqshy before the spell hit, but had no time to prepare for it. Her staff suddenly became hotter, so hot that she could feel it even through her leather gloves. She dropped it with a startled yelp, looked up, and found herself facing Theo without her channelling implement. The young man’s wet, unruly blond hair was plastered to his forehead; only one bright blue eye was visible. His staff pointed straight at her face and crackled with aethyric energy. The combatants paused a dozen yards away from each other, panting from the longest duel between apprentices in recent Bright College history. Both of them were pushed to their physical and mental limits, their clothes torn and singed, sporting a variety of burns that would have brought down anyone not attuned to Aqshy’s fiery touch. The lights of Altdorf spread out in every direction under and around them, but the college grounds were dark and silent, as it was well past curfew.

Both of them knew who had the advantage now. Theo might as well have been aiming a loaded crossbow at an unarmed person. Not that a staff was necessary to cast spells, but after all the wine Elsa had had tonight, fine manipulation of the Aethyr would be difficult and reckless without one.

“Yield already, Elsa,” sighed Theo, exasperated. “You wanted this stupid duel, I gave it to you, and I won. You’re taking this whole argument to a ridiculous–”

Thankfully, Elsa did not need finesse, only brute strength – in magical terms, she was something of a thug. All she did was send a sudden wave of the Red Wind towards Theo, whose staff was still gathering the ambient Aethyr. Theo’s sentence died in his throat when he realized that he was now channelling more magic than his staff could handle.

“Boom,” said Elsa solemnly.

Theo’s staff exploded in a blinding yellow light, sending splinters of wood in every direction. The young man was blown off his feet with a shout of alarm. When the burst of hot air reached Elsa a split second later, it felt more like a physical blow than a wind. She only barely remained standing, for which she was glad because she thought she must look pretty damn impressive, right now on the roof, with her leather coat billowing in the rain and her red hair flying free. Her only regret was that there was no one to see her. She put her still-smoking hat back on, retrieved her staff from the nearest edge of the roof from which it had nearly fallen and immediately began to channel Aqshy into a fireball. She had never once lost a magical duel against a fellow junior apprentice, and she was sure not starting now.

“Alright, either get up or give up, you wimp,” she snarled at Theo. Casting a spell at a downed target was against the rules, as was casting while you were down. Elsa was usually no stickler for rules, but duelling was serious business.

Theo made a gurgling sound and, still lying down, drew the Red Wind to himself. Cheater, was Elsa’s immediate, furious thought. She released the fireball. It raced towards its target and, though it must have taken only a heartbeat to cover the distance, it was long enough for Elsa to realize what a mistake she had made.

As the fireball illuminated Theo, Elsa had a glimpse of his bloodied face and ravaged hands. The explosion of his staff had taken several of his fingers, at least one of his eyes and much of his nose and jaw. His last spell, Elsa just had time to figure out when she saw burns forming on his hands, was a standard cauterization spell to stop blood loss. His mouth broken and full of blood, Theo was unable to conjure up a shield against the fireball. He was too wounded to even roll out of the way. His remaining eye widened in horror.

The fireball hit him full-on and lifted him off the surface of the roof. He flew, on fire from head to toe, and ended his course against a chimney in a sickening crack of bones. He came to rest in a sitting position, presumably – hopefully – dead before he hit the ground.

Elsa just stood there in the rain, stunned, as she stared at her handiwork. Then, without checking on her fallen classmate, she turned and ran.

Primary Characteristics %
    Weapon Skill 31
    Ballistic Skill 26
    Strength 30
    Toughness 31
    Agility 34
    Intelligence 45
    Willpower 48
    Fellowship 34

(Shallya's Mercy on Weapon Skill. Strength and Agility swapped around.)

Secondary Characteristics #
    Attacks 1
    Wounds 4 / 10
    Strength Bonus 3
    Toughness Bonus 3
    Movement 5
    Magic 1
    Insanity Points 2
    Fortune / Fate Points 1 / 1

Skills %
    Channelling 58
    Common Knowledge (Border Princes) 45
    Common Knowledge (the Empire) 45
    Gossip 34
    Magical Sense 58
    Perception 45
    Read/Write 45
    Search 45
    Speak Arcane Language (Magick) 45
    Speak Language (Reikspiel) 45

Talents
    Aethyric Attunement
    Fleet Footed
    Petty Magic (Arcane)
    Savvy
    Very Resilient

Armor: None

Trappings: Quarter staff, spear, pick, dagger, common clothing (incl. overcoat and wide-brimmed hat), red dress, sandals, backpack, tent, rations for 6 days, two waterskins, bottle of brandy, pair of dice, 20 yards of rope, vial of oil, tiny bell, brown hair dye, printed copy of The Practical Pyromancer, Third Edition, map of Mirino and the area, parchment, ink, tattoos, two scarecrows
    Gold: 12 gc and 56 p

XP: 25 / 850
    Advances: +5 Ag, +10 Int, +10 WP, +5 Fel, +1 Mag, Common Knowledge (Border Princes)
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-09-28 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Wine + scarecrows bought, +1 shilling won

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    NaNoWriMo 2014 word count: 20,976

#stopgamergate2014

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Is it okay to buy Common Knowledge (Border Princes)? I know Elsa hasn't travelled all that much, but she must have learned a few things from talking with Sieghard, Ludo, Baldred, Sorin and Skender during the trip.

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

#stopgamergate2014

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert Schreiber

Career: Scribe
    Star Sign: Vobist the Faint - Sign of Darkness and Uncertainty
    Birthplace: A Fortified Town in Averland
    Appearance: 5'7", 135 lbs, brown hair, grey blue eyes, missing tooth.

WS:(36) BS: (31) S:(31) T:(33) Ag:(50) Int:(46) WP:(43) Fel:(36)

A:1 W:13 SB:3 TB: 3 M: 4 Mag:0 IP: 0 FP: 3 2

Skills: Academic Knowledge (History), Common Knowledge (The Empire), Gossip, Speak Language (Reikspiel), Perception, Read/Write, Secret Language (Guild Tongue), Speak Language (Breton), Speak Language (Classical), Speak Language (Tilean), Trade (Calligrapher)

Talents: Linguistics, Acute Hearing, Resistance to Poison

Trappings:
    Knife, a Pair of Candles, Wax, 5 matches, Illuminated Book, Writing Kit, Common Clothing, Cloak, Dagger, Backpack, Wooden Tankard & Cutlery, Short Sword, Digging Tools, one weeks rations, ancient copper eye pendant, a necklace/collar made from gold and coloured glass beads, the ends are made to resemble the coiled heads and necks of snakes, a pair of lapis lazuli earrings, shaped to mirror the solar disc motif.

5 Schillings and 12 Pfennigs.

70 sheets of parchment, 10 bottles of ink.

Mail Shirt, pouch containing 81 Gold Crowns

XP:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Earned: 825
    Spent: 800
    Current: 25

Advances:
    Spoiler
    Show
    + 5% to Int (Free Advance)
    + 5% to Fel
    + 5% to Int
    + 5% to Ag
    + 5% to WP
    + 1 Wound
    + 5% to WP
    + 1 Wound
    + 5% to Ag

Background & Personality:
    Adelbert was born in Grenzstadt, Averland the second oldest child and only son of the prestigious Schreiber family of scholars. His older sister Gabrielle became a Priestess of Verena and a career in the universities of Nuln, the church or perhaps even the colleges of magic in Altdorf seemed open for the young man. Unfortunatly his father's harmless gambling habit became, well less harmless. The Schreiber family went into debt and while Adelbert's younger sisters retained enough clout to marry well Adelbert himself could no longer afford to study at Nuln. Fortunately he was more than well read enough to become a scribe first in Grenzstadt, then Averheim.

Adelbert is actually a very good scribe especially mastering foreign languages but he is not thrilled by his dull life copying books. At the very least he would prefer to be writing his own work rather than simply transcribing that of others. He has travelled south to the Princes in the hopes of appealing to the vanity of a local noble and being paid to act as their chronicler, and perhaps write a book on the local ruins that would be the toast of Nuln. Anything would be better than his dusty office back in Averheim.

Perhaps thanks to his elder sister Adelbert has a definite interest in the gods and his studied much of them, especially minor and regional deities - though the streak of rogue in him is impressed by Ranald. His personal specialty (other than languages) is ancient history and he is modestly famous in Averland for translating an Ancient Reman history from Classical to Reikspiel.

In person Adelbert is on the short side of average and slender, with nimble fingers (he is justly proud of his clean, flowing style of writing.) He is fond of attractive women, well read ones for preference and is rather vainer than might be expected for a scribe. This has led to him rarely smiling with his mouth open because he is very concious of the front tooth he lost in a tavern brawl when an elegant blonde lady turned out to have been married to a milita sergeant. He has a deadpan, sarcastic and self deprecating sense of humour and tends to value it highly in others.
    Last edited by RossN; 2014-04-30 at 07:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Viggo Hirtzel - Entertainer

Birthplace: Hochland, Nr Hegig
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Hair: Blonde
    Eyes: Dark Brown
    Star Sign: The Two Bullocks
    Distinguishing Features: Lazy Eye

Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo is a young man, barely seventeen years old by his reckoning although he has no way of knowing his exact age for sure. Like most young men his lack of years sits heavily on his shoulders and he is not averse to lying outright about his age. To this end he has made an ill advised attempt to grow what he believes is a dashing moustache and goatee beard, it is far from dashing and the blonde wisp of hair that coats his upper lip and chin only serves to accentuate his youth.

Just above average in height and very lean, Viggo would describe himself as rangy, whilst gawky and gangly are probably better suited to describing his build. He has a tendency to walk with a slight stoop to his shoulders, except when performing, at which time he is wont to puff out his chest before adopting what could only be called an arrogant swagger.

With a tousle of blonde hair, eyes of deep brown and a nose as yet unbent by physical trauma Viggo could be considered good looking, the effect is slightly ruined by his left eye which has a mind of it’s own and often wanders off in improbable directions. Although this does not effect his eyesight in anyway it does often give people the impression that he is looking elsewhere.

With the flaxen fluff that clings to his lips and the perhaps too delicate cast of his jaw line folk would struggle to describe Viggo as ‘masculine’. This is again at odds with his own impression of his appearance, as Viggo tends to see himself as an archetypical blonde haired bard, from the stories, who woos damsels with his dashing good looks and frightens off hordes of Orcs with nought but a stern look. He has recently shaved off his moustache and goatee.

His ‘good’ set of clothes are finely made but completely impractical, these are what he tends to travel in mainly though as he believes it is the type of attire the Bards in his tales would wear. A bright red cloak with no hood, but which carries fine embroidery around its edges, indecently tight, bright yellow leggings and an eye jarring bright green coat all serve to make him stand out in a crowd. He has a pair of highly polished black knee length boots which he fastidiously keeps clean, they are his pride and joy. They are the boots of a hero.

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo entered the tavern with a sullen slump to his shoulders, his bright red cloak served to keep the rest of his garishly bright clothes dry but his hair was sodden and plastered to his face and he felt chilled to the very marrow. He brightened somewhat as he surveyed the inns inhabitants, ahh a fine audience he considered as his eyes alighted briefly on each patron. It was obvious to his trained eyes that these salt of the earth men were sorely in need of their spirits brightening, and who better to serve that need than I? The clientele were uniformly dour in expression, most were heavily armed and yet none wore any type of uniform, unfriendly eyes turned to greet the flamboyantly dressed stranger and the hushed whispers that had filled the interior fell silent as the young lad strutted towards the bar. Any sensible person would have thought twice before entering this establishment let alone creating a scene.

Strutting to the bar Viggo addressed what he supposed was the innkeeper, he was after all stood behind the bar and wearing an apron, with an extravagant bow and an overly exuberant flourish of his cape. Unaware of the torrent of rain that sprayed from his cloak across those nearest him and the angry grumbles that followed, Viggo pitched his mellifluous voice for all to hear. “Good Innkeep, Ranald favours your establishment, for tis I, The Marvellous Viggo!” It had taken him many hours of agonising before finally settling on the appellation Marvellous, but everybody knew that a famous Bard could not be known simply by his given name, even his younger snot nosed brother had known that. Viggo sometimes missed the warmth and security that travelling with the circus provided, they were after all his family, but the troubles up North had soon put paid to his summer of youth. Most of the men and a good number of the women too had marched off to war leaving the infirm and the children to move the circus southwards away from the blight of Chaos. Viggo had travelled south with them, until his mother suggested that he hone his prodigious skills on the road as a wandering Bard, she had always known that Viggo secretly hankered to live a life like the heroes from one of his tales and now she had given him the opportunity to do so. Henrik, his mewling younger brother, had said that their mother had wanted Viggo to leave because she could no longer afford to feed him and that the remaining circus folk were fed up with dealing with the complaints that arose from Viggo’s performances. But what did Henrik know, he was only a baby?

Viggo didn’t seem to notice the blank stare of the bemused innkeeper or the snort of derision from one of the other customers. “For a free room and board, I will amaze and astonish your patrons with tales of thunderous charges and deeds of stoic heroism”, this supposedly grand declaration was spoiled somewhat by an errant croak mid-sentence, damn cold he mused “I can astound and baffle the mind with death defying trickery and almost supernatural skill”, with a grand gesture Viggo made a throwing dagger bloom in his hand. Well that was he had attempted anyway. The damn dagger had been too tightly secured up his sleeve so it nicked his finger as he drew it, with a yelp he had let go, launching the knife into the air. An even deeper hush followed as every eye in the inn turned to follow the arc of the knife as it flew across the room before embedding itself into a rough hewn, beer stained floorboard just inches away from a leather boot owned by a particularly grim looking fellow. “Errm Ah Ha, and comedy of course!” intoned Viggo as the man and his friends stood and approached. It was definitely intoning and not squeaking thought Viggo, “Ahhh perhaps you’d all prefer that I play you a little ditty on the flute?” he enquired hopefully, shooting a look of pure anguish at the now smirking barkeep.

Viggo did not put up a struggle as he was hoisted into the air, a man for each limb, it would have been unseemly, besides he did not want to hurt any of them. “Verily, I know what you good men need! Card Tricks! Everybody loves a good card trick eh?!” A single solitary card drifted to the floor, loosed from shaking fingers as the men carted him towards the doors, “Wait, my knife! I need my knife!” He yelped as one of the other bruisers quickly held open the door for his princely procession, “No, No, No! Not in the pile of horse sh……”

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    I took Shallya’s mercy on Ag and swapped Strength with Bs

Stats WS BS S T AG INT WP FEL
    Starting 37 38 28 22 31 31 34 33
    Advance 0/1 0/2 - - 0/2 - 0/1 1/2
    Current 37 38 28 22 31 31 34 38

Stats Attacks Wounds SB TB Move Magic Insanity Fate Points
    Starting 1 12 2 2 4 - - 3
    Advance - 0/2 - - - - - -
    Current 1 0 2 2 4 - - 3

Skills: Animal Care, Charm, Common Knowledge (Empire & Border Princes), Gossip +10%, Hypnotism, Perception, Performer (Musician & Storyteller), Ride, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language (Reikspiel) +10%, Ventriloquism

Talents: Ambidextrous, Mimic, Public Speaking, Quick Draw, Sharpshooter, Specialist Weapon Training (Throwing)

EXP - 25 / 525

Fortune Points: 3 2 1

Weapons: Short Sword, 6 x Throwing Knives (2 x sleeves 1 x back of belt 3 x in coat), 2 x Dagger (1 x boot 1 x belt), Bow, 10 x Arrows.

Armour: Leather Vest - 1 AP Body

Wearing: Common Clothing (Plain Coat, shirt, breeches and worn cloak), Good Boots & Blue Cap incl Feather

Misc (Pockets): Deck of Cards, Flute, Razor,

Carrying: 1 Lit Torch

Backpack: Good Clothing (Garish Colours: Shirt, Yellow breeches, Green coat and Red cape), Blanket, Wooden Cutlery, Tankard, Tinderbox - 6 Strikes, Snares x 2, Fish Hook and Line, Torches x 1, 2 days Rations, 2 x Waterskin - Half Full, Rag Doll, Pouch, (x ancient coins)

Purse: 2 Gold Crowns, 7 Silver Schillings, 33 Brass Pennies
    Money Pouch: 7 Gold Crowns (Imperial Coinage)
    Last edited by Northern Lad; 2014-05-13 at 04:14 AM. Reason: deduct fortune point & wounds

11. - Top - End - #11

Spent my 100 xp on the Public Speaking Talent.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    Is it okay to buy Common Knowledge (Border Princes)?
    I'll allow it as an elite advance, for 200XP.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder... Does Sieghard have any clue what a mirage is?

Common knowledge vs 36 (+/- any modifiers you see fit) if needed.
    (1d100)[17]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Added a page for Turnpike Hollow to the Wiki. I'll do one for Greasy Drop later - unless anyone else wants to give it a shot.

15. - Top - End - #15

Hmm... seeing as the Border Princes is mostly not desert, and Sieghard doesn't come from these parts, I'm going to say that that doesn't fall under the umbrella of Common Knowledge. Sorry.

Of course, his common knowledge can still tell him that where there is water, there should be greenery growing around it, of which he can see none.
    Last edited by LCP; 2013-10-18 at 04:55 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I'll make the same Common Knowledge test. Target 45.

(d100)[40]

Hmm... seeing as the Border Princes is mostly not desert, and Sieghard doesn't come from these parts,
    People could still hear about mirages, right? It's hardly an exotic or outlandish thing.

#stopgamergate2014

17. - Top - End - #17

It's hardly an exotic or outlandish thing.
    It's the kind of thing that the average Old Worlder, living and dying within a short distance of the town or village in which they were born, would never encounter. Exotic strangers might pass through and tell stories about it happening in foreign lands (and those stories would be mixed up with stories of heat-induced hallucinations and your usual "daemons did it" lines of reasoning - the mechanism behind mirages is not understood at this point in history); that doesn't make it Common Knowledge for the area.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Daemons did it is the explanation I had in mind if Sieghard did know about them. =P

I wasn't asking if Sieghard knew what they were and why they happened, just if he knew they were a thing. Doesn't really matter though.

Also, is it safe to say Ludo will be taking over Elsa's watches now? Somehow he lucked out and got to get the full night's sleep before, but now that we have injuries...

19. - Top - End - #19

If Ludo consents that seems fair to me.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, he's fine with that. More time to mope.

EDIT: Is knowledge of mirages a reasonable Common Knowledge for Ludo? If nothing else, he grew up near here, he should know whether a watering hole exists there or not.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2013-10-18 at 07:36 PM.
    - pl_crusoe - plr_Jackal - Tumblr - @LeSwordfish - Portal Buttons -
    -Adopted map - #72hrmap - Writing - Twitter - Original Portal mechanic -
    - Dark Heresy: Lost and Gone Forever -

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Now that we have a new OOC thread, can we link it from the first page of the current IC thread, for convenience's sake?

Also, does anyone remember Baldred's first appearance? It's hard to Ctrl+F your way through all these spoiler tags.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2013-10-20 at 11:03 PM.

#stopgamergate2014

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

It was right at the end of the first thread. I'll try to find a link.

Edit: Here we go. First post Baldred was mentioned on. It was on page 50 of the first IC thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Deludoed

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert's errand at the castle had taken perhaps longer than it should have, to join up with caravans leaving today. The sun was already well up, and the early risers had already departed; the marketplace was now a bustle of traders hawking their wares, most of them settled in for the day. Only the largest wagon trains and the sleepiest travellers had yet to get underway.

Adelbert found a group of half a dozen who claimed to be travelling to Handrich's Cross by way of Savonne, still loading up their two heavy carts with iron and and tools for the villagers there. Four men and two women, they seemed wary of him at first, but soon seemed to decide that the strangely-dressed scholar meant them no harm. They were locals, but seemed to have more Empire blood in them than most. Their leader was a stocky, ruddy-faced man named Dietmar. Most of them seemed to be armed in some fashion.

Sieghard found the Arabyan merchant who had offered him wine a couple of days before, who directed him to a man named Baldred, who was one of his partners in trade. Hunting him out among the stalls, Sieghard found him harnessing a team of mules in the shadow of one of the houses that bordered the market square. A lean man with a shrewd face, he seemed ready to brush Sieghard off until he spotted the mercenary's arms and armour; then he seemed to take a moderate interest. It transpired he was taking the west road to Sermena.

Elsa found a woman who was coordinating the corralling of a great herd of sheep and goats, all headed for Savonne. Her name was Bellane, and she seemed to have little time for the young woman asking her questions; she had hundreds of animals and at least a score of humans to watch over. The whole convoy stank, as livestock are like to do, but they did at least offer safety in numbers.

Viggo, meanwhile, had found a far more interesting figure. Alone but for his horse, which looked half-starved itself, he was asking passers-by whether they would like to join his expedition. When Viggo stopped to ask where he was going, his wild eyes lit up.

"Ah, that's the thing, my friend! No further than Turnpike Hollow... at first."

He leaned in and lowered his voice. His breath was not pleasant, but Viggo forced himself to listen.

"You saw the falling star? It fell out in the Waste, everyone's saying so. Wyrdstone, my friend, that's what it is. Enough to make a hundred men richer than kings. They say there's ruins out in the desert, too, old tombs bursting with gold. I had a map once, but the duke's men took it away." He shook his head, and looked into Viggo's eyes. "South as far as Turnpike, and then... west."

He stretched out his arm in front of him, eyes focused on the middle distance like a man who can see his destiny. That or a man who had stood too long in the sun.

"What do you say, lad? Do you want to make your fortune?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2013-10-20 at 11:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I find it kinda funny that Adelbert wants to go look at the ruins, but the moment Elsa says something that gets Sieghard onboard for a ruins visit, he no longer thinks it's a good idea.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

He does want to look at the ruins but on reflection he'd rather come back at full health and with a properly equipped party.

Also Elsa turned things from a discussion into an argument so he's not in the compromise mood anymore.

25. - Top - End - #25

Hey guys,

Sorry for the unannounced delay - I've been stricken down by some horrible bug. I'm taking a sick day today, though, so I ought to be able to catch up a bit.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. Get better soon!

------

Lets see... Pay and rations...

We met Baldred on the 8th and started the trip the same day. Last day was the 16th. 9 Days worth of pay, so 1gc 7s for Sieghard. Got a meal at Greasy Drop and a goat at Turnpike. He ate before we left and today isn't over yet, so I'm going to call that 7 days of rations.

So... What's the plan from here? Do we stick with Baldred for a bit longer, spend some time in Sermena, or head straight for Mirino without the Isolici detour?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes, hope you feel better LCP.

Did we all have the same rate? I admit my memory is hazy...

As for further plans i want to do a headcount of who else can speak Tilean?

28. - Top - End - #28

Sieghard was on three schillings a day, while the rest of you were on one schilling a day. Elsa's pay stopped and Viggo's pay started the day after Turnpike Hollow.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Chapter I
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ah, yes, just rechecked now thanks.

30. - Top - End - #30

Get Well Soon LCP.. nasty bug going around up north too at the moment that has left my home like a plague house over the weekend. Fingers crossed it seems to have missed me!

Viggo's pay started the day after Turnpike Hollow.
    So just to confirm did Viggo get his 12 schillings refunded plus an extra 4 Schillings pay?

No sprechen sie Tiliean I'm afraid RossN!

So... What's the plan from here? Do we stick with Baldred for a bit longer, spend some time in Sermena, or head straight for Mirino without the Isolici detour?
    I'm happy for Viggo to lay up in Sermena for a while, if that's what the wounded members of our party would like. Ludo at least might be likely to take the opportunity to catch up with friends and family I presume LeSwordfish?