New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: To the Tower! (IC) [Dragon Age]

late breakfast, the Chantry
    The captain has gone out with two bowls of porridge, and has returned for two more. He says to Ivonne, "Val Foret is whence I come. In the piedmont, south of the sea. The floral Foret pattern is famous on wedding gowns, my mother was a seamstress and I knew it immediately. I just was surprised to see ... "

"Did you find the weapons, captain?" Éléonore interrupts. Her reticence has vanished and she has moved a bit between the templar and Ivonne. "Does anyone - and I do mean, anyone, captain - does anyone need healing?"

The captain blinks at her in a deliberate, I see what you're doing there way. "We left the dirt birds flapping their jaws and their ears, but uninjured," he replies. "... I was surprised to see a bridal pattern worked so well on leather armor. That's a priceless farewell gift, young lady. I'd love to meet the armorer!"

mid-morning, the Yard
    Saras and Rhys have found their weapons tucked under various wagons. When they finally go to help load, Duart waves them off, gesturing to a crew of locals who already are trudging back into town. "All's done here," he says. "Like I said yetterday, the yardmaster will seal the loads now, and Master Orhild will take the wagons south right after sunheight. It's a full moon tonight, or near full, and she'll get good miles even after sundown.

"You know who told me to give you a message - to be heading back to a place where folk are freer and fairer than here. I'll tell you myself that a dirt nest wakeup usually leaves you stiller n sleep. So she liked you, whatever you did. Anyway, you're good workers and friendly enough, best luck, I told Orhild you might be trusted to ride with the wagons and talk with your own folk?

"Guess I'm talking a lot. Best luck to you Saras. And you, Rhys. Travel far."

Cambion finds himself looking down at Orhild's upturned face. From his right, he hears Hal calling.

Halendor has gathered up his gear from where he had been lodging. In passing the Sheathed Sword he recalled that he might have seen Lady Ivonne there last night, in a dress like women wore in salons at Val Royeaux.
    Not sure whether it was her, nor where she might be of the morning, he simply hurried down to the yards to speak with the caravaneer. When he arrives, he sees Cambion already there, and negotiating something.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"He's known as Master Hugo. He has a workshop near the east wall of Grand Cathedral" Ivonne replies.

Once she fills the last two bowls she says "Éléonore, I think we should go. The Revered Mother's lecture is about to start".
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-11 at 04:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

"Alas, I am without Steed - I have not found a Ferelden Mount to my taste as yet" Cambion says warmly to the Merchant, "But as to your offer of Employment - My Companion and I have Business in Ostagar, so Travelling with you would be most welcome and convienient"
    Hearing the call of Halendor, the Nevarran looks over and smiles broadly "And, Maker's Breath, What Fortune! Look" Cambion remarks, gesturing towards the approaching Mage "Miss Orhild, please allow me to introduce my Travelling Companion - Halendor, whom I was just about to excuse myself to meet"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

"Halendor Nicholas Queldari, it is a pleasure to meet you Lady Orhild" For a second his Orlesian accent became even thicker, as if he was trying to make a point. His head was still throbbing, but he tried to make a good first impression.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

As Duart gets ready to depart Saras manages to only say "Thanks you Duart." She wanted to say so much more, but for some reason words escaped her.

"Well brother, I suppose it's time to move on to somewhere new again." Saras says trying to hide her disappointment. "We should go and speak with this Master Orhild and see where that leads." Saras says an begins to search the yards for this person. "Wait, there they are!" Saras exclaims as she spots Halendor and Cambion.

Saras begins to approach them calmly.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I assume she is approaching with her brother, but I'll wait for Mr. Wentz to post that ha ha.

6. - Top - End - #96

AssassinGuy

Rhys follows behind his sister, staying quiet and keeping his frustration having to move to a new home bottled up.

7. - Top - End - #97

mid-morning, the Chantry
    The Revered Mother's liturgy went on ... and on ... and Éléonore was an attendant and had lines in the chorale, so Ivonne wasn't even able to kick her friend's foot and make her laugh, which had tided her over through so many childhood liturgies.

At some time during the morning, the templars wandered in; and now they are standing across from Ivonne, all six of them looking at her and then glancing at each other as the liturgic chant climaxes and descends to its finale. Sisters and layfolk begin to wander out of the Chantry, leaving Ivonne to wait for Élé.

mid-morning, the Yards
    Orhild raises her bushy eyebrows and looks up from under them at the Nevarran and Orlesian young men looming over her. "In my trade, and on my route, I am Master Orhild," she says firmly. "Not some Lady sidestraddle a pony, nor a Miss playing marbles."

Then she glances away, in response to Saras' hail to the two men, and Cambion - who is closest - can see her jaw drop a bit.

As the Dalish twins approach, they have no problem recognizing Orhild as the same dwarf who chanted an infamous song in the Square last night. She, similarly, seems to recognize them; and as they come up with the threesome, her jaw clamps tight. She greets them with a silent nod.

8. - Top - End - #98

RogueGuy

Please tell me that's not this "Master Orhild" Saras thinks to herself already knowing the answer. Saras continues to approach the group and begins to introduce herself to Orhild "My names is Saras and this is my brother Rhys. We've heard that you might be willing to let us ride the wagons?" Saras asks Orhild, but quickly adds "We will of course protect them when we are riding with you."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Ivonne's beauty often attracts men's attention. Normally the young woman is proud of it. However, this time it's different. First of all - here in the Chantry the only woman who should be adored is Andraste herself. Second - these men are the templars and the way they all look at Ivonne, concerns her.

Ivonne does her best to remain calm. She walks up to the altar and starts to look for Éléonore.

Spoiler: Perception roll
    Show

(3d6+1)[3][4][1](9)

10. - Top - End - #100

13th of Harvest, mid-morning, sunny and warm in the Yards
    Orhild sighs, straightens, rolls her neck, and shifts her feet to stand square with the sword-toting young Dalish woman who has now crossed her path for the second time since last sunset.

"Duart told me you've been loading all season," she says flatly. "And he told me that you and your brother were Dalish, and orphaned, which won my sympathy. He never hinted you for a fool who'd go swaggering down through town of an evening, equipped for night raiding. I guess he was blind to that.

"On the south road, though, I'll be glad to have night stalkers. You can walk the watch in turns, and the off-watch will sleep on my wagon. All the way to Ostagar and homeward, you'll list me, and you'll take my salt and bread. You can leave me one day south of town with my good word and Traders' token, plus a handful of silvers each. Sound well?"

in the Chantry
    "Come on, Ivonne, let's go," says Éléonore. "D'you think you could spare a half-hour to help me at alms, before you go hawking?"

The youngest of the templars comes hesitantly over to them, bows deeply to Élé (or perhaps to her initiate robes) and almost as much to Ivonne. He's about their own age, fresh-faced. The older five templars - the captain, another three men, and a woman as warlike as the rest - remain at the other side of the Chantry hall, jostling each other and making snide remarks.

"... hawking?" squawks the young templar, perhaps in place of something else he was sent over to ask or say. His man-voice is not quite so new to him as is his templar tonsure. "Are you invited hawking with the Lord and Lady Tewars?" His blue-grey eyes are big beneath his bushy blond brow. He looks awkwardly at Élé.

11. - Top - End - #101

RogueGuy

"Humans and Dwarfs carry weapons on those streets, so you never know when one gets liquored up and wants to cause a fight. We need our weapons for protection." Saras replies to Duart.

Saras adds "As for keeping watch we can do that, we're used to keeping watch and will be of great assistance."

12. - Top - End - #102

"Well, Master Orhild," Cambion delivers dryly "I had thought us talking as Friends and intended to introduce you to Halendor as such - You asked of my interest in joining your expedition and as of yet nothing has been decided"
    Cambion turns lightly while gesturing to Saras and Rhys
    "As Miss Saras and Messir Rhys will no doubt relate, The Honorific I applied to you was not intended to diminish, but to show, my respect"
    Straightening up again and catching Halendors concerned eye Cambion smiles and looks to Orhild gently
    "If it is to be business then, I shall leave the negotiations to Halendor and take my leave to prepare"

As Cambion walks away he can be heard whispering a Litany of Chivalry under his breath
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll chuck in a Communication, just in case: (3d6+2)[1][3][1](7)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by axharr View Post
    Orhild raises her bushy eyebrows and looks up from under them at the Nevarran and Orlesian young men looming over her. "In my trade, and on my route, I am Master Orhild," she says firmly. "Not some Lady sidestraddle a pony, nor a Miss playing marbles."
    "I have no Master." Halendor answers sharply, while trying to fake a friendly smile. "If you do not wish to be considered Lady that is your choice, and I have no problem with that, but I will not refer to anyone as Master."
    Show

LGBTAitP

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"Come on, Ivonne, let's go," says Éléonore. "D'you think you could spare a half-hour to help me at alms, before you go hawking?"
    "The woman I talked to didn't mention any specific hour. So I doubt 30 minute delay will make any difference." Ivonne replies with a smile, feeling much safer in her friend's company. "I'll gladly help you, Élé"

The youngest of the templars comes hesitantly over to them, bows deeply to Élé (or perhaps to her initiate robes) and almost as much to Ivonne. He's about their own age, fresh-faced... "Are you invited hawking with the Lord and Lady Tewars?" His blue-grey eyes are big beneath his bushy blond brow. He looks awkwardly at Élé.
    When the templar approaches them, Ivonne notices how handsome he is. He could be a bit older, but he's definitely her type.

"Well, that depands. Does Lady Tewars have red hair?" Ivonne asks.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-15 at 12:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by shaken_bacon View Post
    "Humans and Dwarfs carry weapons on those streets, so you never know when one gets liquored up and wants to cause a fight. We need our weapons for protection. ... we're used to keeping watch and will be of great assistance."
    "I was not impressed by the ease with which Desta rousted you," Orhild replies. "You will keep in mind that the south road is not so safe nor comfortable as Garrick's tavern floor, nor yet as an aravel. Can you mind that, I will hire you."

Quote Originally Posted by curst_rein View Post
    "Well, Master Orhild," Cambion delivers dryly "I had thought us talking as Friends .... The Honorific I applied to you was not intended to diminish, but to show, my respect... business then, I shall leave the negotiations to Halendor and take my leave to prepare"
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteron Questar View Post
    "If you do not wish to be considered Lady that is your choice, and I have no problem with that, but I will not refer to anyone as Master."
    Orhild shouts a contemptuous laugh. "Oh, young Gentle Men! You are so far from home, and out of place!

"We stand in Ferelden, not Orlais, not Navarre. Lord and Lady here not always are terms of respect, and to be Master is my due... As twill be yours, should you live to earn it in your trades... You, skinny young master-less lad:" (and here, she smiles quite genuinely toward Halendor): "what is your trade? Your swaggering and well spoken friend clearly claims skill of war, but what of you?"

Quote Originally Posted by black velvet View Post
    "Well, that depands. Does Lady Tewars have red hair?"
    "Not so red as yours," the youth says thoughtlessly and fervently. He blushes, which accentuates a few acne scars on his cheeks.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    t b c .. Also, com checks are fun. I rolled them for elves + Halendor.
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-11-16 at 09:27 AM. Reason: "not" -> "nor"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

"My powers are a lot more subtle then my friend's, but a lot more devastating." Halendor twirls his staff and produces a small light to demonstrate his magical talent.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If we are sticking to the rules he summons Spell Wisp. If we can improvise he spends MP to produce magical lights.
    Show

LGBTAitP

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"Not so red as yours," the youth says thoughtlessly and fervently. He blushes, which accentuates a few acne scars on his cheeks.
    "Oh, I see..." Ivonne says, blushing a shade of red that would put roses to shame. She quickly glances at Éléonore with "get me out of here" look on her face.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-15 at 11:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Asteron Questar View Post
    "My powers are a lot more subtle then my friend's, but a lot more devastating." Halendor twirls his staff and produces a small light to demonstrate his magical talent.
    Orhild is less than devastated by the flash of light. She blinks hard a couple of times and shrugs. "Good enough, then - just show me your scribbles and stamps, I'll pay you the same as your friend or these two."

Quote Originally Posted by black velvet View Post
    "Oh, I see..." Ivonne says, blushing a shade of red that would put roses to shame. She quickly glances at Éléonore with "get me out of here" look on her face.
    Élé is smiling slyly, clearly enjoying Ivonne's discomfort. "Have you hawked?" she asks while staring down the young templar. Looking panicked, he avoids her gaze - which results in him looking into Ivonne's eyes. "Y-es," he replies, "my family's bann is in the hills straight west from Redcliffe. It's a tradition that my father and the neighbor banns will hawk and feast each autumn with the Avvar chiefs."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Élé is smiling slyly, clearly enjoying Ivonne's discomfort. "Have you hawked?" she asks while staring down the young templar. Looking panicked, he avoids her gaze - which results in him looking into Ivonne's eyes. "Y-es," he replies, "my family's bann is in the hills straight west from Redcliffe. It's a tradition that my father and the neighbor banns will hawk and feast each autumn with the Avvar chiefs."
    When the young templar looks into Ivonne's eyes she blushes even more and immediately fixes her gaze on the floor. If she could she would vanish into thin air.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-16 at 06:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

RogueGuy

"I was not impressed by the ease with which Desta rousted you," Orhild replies. "You will keep in mind that the south road is not so safe nor comfortable as Garrick's tavern floor, nor yet as an aravel. Can you mind that, I will hire you."[/SPOILER]

"Yes, I suppose we got too comfortable living in a city. On the road we won't make that mistake again."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Orhild is less than devastated by the flash of light. She blinks hard a couple of times and shrugs. "Good enough, then - just show me your scribbles and stamps, I'll pay you the same as your friend or these two."
    "Here are my documents from the glorious Orlesian Circle. You will find that they are all signed by the leaders of those blood hounds they call Templars. Yes, my mission is so important to warrant the signature of Saderson himself."
    He hands her a set of documents, masterfully written by Ariana, indistinguishable from the real thing.

Spoiler: Deception, just for fun
    Show
    (3d6+4)[6][4][3](17)
    Show

LGBTAitP

22. - Top - End - #112

in the Yard, late morning
    The air is dusty and hot; the sun is brilliant in the clear blue northern sky, nearly above the Keep. Orhild has been completely satisfied by Halendor and his papers, grudgingly accepting of Saras and Rhys and Cambion. These four are busy loading their gear onto the designated wagon among the ten of the caravan. Meanwhile, Duart and his apprentices are hitching up oxen and buros. Orhild has returned into town, to bring the yardmaster from the Keep. She plans to set forth by mid-afternoon.

In small groups, two or five or three at a time, well-dressed folk are beginning to ride from town south through the yard, down the South Road up to the crest of the first hill. It is a long ride - more than half an hour - and only the continual upward slope of the ground toward the hills makes it possible to watch the riders the whole way down the road.

What will the foursome do while waiting?

in the Cold Quarter, late morning
    The part of the town just north of Bridge Street, which sits in the shadow of the Keep-hill, most of the day, is called the Cold Quarter. It is not nearly a quarter the town, only a few dozen among maybe a thousand buildings. It is home for those humans and dwarves even poorer than the elves of the Alienage, who dwell in their own privations just next the docks and the flood-prone river, at the sunny side of the Keep.

Élé and Ivonne spend a good hour passing out bread and turnips and cheese wedges from a cart pulled by an aged-looking mule. Then Élé bids Ivonne good day. "Where will you find a horse to ride hawking? And what will you do after?" she asks. "Will you be coming back to Chantry again? I think young Hurtle has a crush on you, I hope that won't fright you away!" She giggles as if she were a bright-clothed maiden just two years younger, and not become this strange quiet do-gooding woman in a plain white robe.
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-11-19 at 10:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Élé and Ivonne spend a good hour passing out bread and turnips and cheese wedges from a cart pulled by an aged-looking mule. Then Élé bids Ivonne good day. "Where will you find a horse to ride hawking?".
    "I had no idea I need one." Ivonne says surprised "I thought I'll just walk to the Yards and observe the hunt."

"And what will you do after?" Élé asks
    "I'll look for a job. I'm running out of money." Ivonne admits embarrassed.

"Will you be coming back to Chantry again? I think young Hurtle has a crush on you, I hope that won't fright you away!" She giggles as if she were a bright-clothed maiden just two years younger, and not become this strange quiet do-gooding woman in a plain white robe.
    "He seems nice..." Ivonne replies blushing softly. "...and if we met under different cicrumstances I would be more then interested. However, I'm just not ready for that kind of relationship."

"I think it might be best if I take a break from the Chantry - at least till things become less awkward." she says after a moment of thought.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-19 at 09:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Cambion returns to the Caravans with a smile and gestures to Halendor, walking over as the Mage packs away more of his belongings...
    "Hal, I found a nice little Trader from my Homeland who had not long arrived in the city, I know I sometimes cause you distress, but I wanted to say Thank you for Sticking with me" Cambion hands over a bottle of Fine Nevarran Wine (1sp) "I know you prefer Orlesian Wine, but you seemed to enjoy the Brandy I brought with me"
    before Halendor can say anything the wine is thrust into his hands with a smile and Cambion heads off into the Caravans to get ready for the journey...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Ivonne says goodbye to Élé and promises to keep in touch. After it Ivonne tries to rent a horse. However, even a half-blind gelding is beyond her reach. So she has no choice, but to walk. She heads towards the hills. As she's passing through the Yard she notices people bustling around the wagons. Among them she spots a face of a man she thought she would never see again. And yet here he is. That can't be a coincidence. Why did the Maker put Halendor on Ivonne's way for a second time? Clearly he has some kind of a plan for them.

Curious Ivonne walks up to the man. "Halendor?" she asks. "What are you doing here?"
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-21 at 11:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Cambion's gift left Halendor speechless, he wasn't really used to people being nice to him without a reason. It was Halendor's impression that his companion wasn't really the type to have ulterior motives, and that confused him. Back in Orlais people usually had three reasons for everything they do:why you say you do it, what you want people to think, and what you are actually doing it for. This people just don't understand how complexed social interactions are.

Lost in his thoughts, Halendor almost failed to notice someone calling his name. Trying to hide his confusion he turned around, only to be faced with another surprise. It was the Gilard girl that he helped arrange the transportation for. Ariana said that the girl was in town, but he never expected to run into her, especially since he wasn't staying in town for long. The girl looked good(at least good enough for someone who escaped her homeland), and for some unknown reason Halendor was pleased to see her.

"Lady Ivonne Gilard, I did not expect to run into you again. Nevertheless, it is a pleasure to see you. I am here on some official Circle business, arranging a transportation to Ostagar. What brings you to Lothering?"
    Show

LGBTAitP

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Ivonne can't help, but smile. After all, she owes Halendor her freedom and probably her life - cause she would sooner cut her wrists then give birth to Maurice's child.

"My childhood friend is a novice at the local Chantry. I came to visit her and figure out what to do next." she explains. "Un fortunately, life in Ferelden is more expensive then I expected. So, I'm looking for a way to earn some money."
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-21 at 01:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do you plan on staying in Lothering or do you wish to travel? The caravan I am traveling with could probably use another helping hand. As far as I remember you are skilled with both blade and bow? The pay is not much, but it's something. Besides, it would be nice to have another Orlesian on this trip, this people are just to simple and...bland, for the lack of a better term."
    Halendor didn't waste any time, he has witnessed the young lady's skill and he knew she would be a welcome addition to any caravan. It was just a matter of convincing Orhild that the girl could be useful.
    Show

LGBTAitP

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"I had to take a break from the Chantry. So at the current prices of lodging in Lothering, travelling sounds very tempting." Ivonne replies.

"I'm better with a dagger or short sword, but I can shoot too." she confirms. "And at this point I'll take any money they offer me."

"I know what you mean" Ivonne nods with a smile "A company of countryman would be a nice change".
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-21 at 02:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can relate to that, the Orlesian Circle provided me with far less recourses then I actually need, hopefully this trip Ostagar will provide beneficial to my finances."
    He looks around, trying to spot Orhild, but she is nowhere to be found.
    "It appears that the caravan master is not here at the moment. If you have some business to finish I can meet you here in a few hours, hopefully she will be back by then. Otherwise, you are free to come with me, I still have some last minute shopping to do, I am running low on some herbs. I am sure there is something at the Lothering market to hold your interest."
    Show

LGBTAitP