New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: To the Tower! (IC) [Dragon Age]

wrapping up round one
    Six arrows fly.

Though Thomar brandishes his shield, two shafts slide round it, slithering jingly through his light mail to thump home in his torso.

Cambion, likewise, receives two shafts to the torso. The heavy leather armor reduces the wounds to mere grazes.

Halendor, unarmored, fares worst - two long arrows, from the back, pierce him.

Saras and Rhys leap left from the road bed, tumbling into shadows, scrambling up the hill slope. Others flee up hill from them, clattering through brush and darkness. Shouting.

Spoiler: status update
    Show

{table]init|name|hp|stance|plan
    18|Ivonne|full|short sword, guard up (D 15)|charge
    -|Orhild|full| ? | ?
    16|Halendor|-17|staff, staggering?| ?
    -|Saras|full|bow in hand|running away
    -|Rhys|full|bow in hand|running away
    -|bandits|full|bows in hand|running away
    -|Thomar|-4|sword and shield|charging
    11|Cambion|-1|sword and shield|charging[/table]

round two: START
    Ivonne reaches the foot of the hill, sword in hand. There's no stealth going on above her, just pure flight. But given the brush and the shadows, she would need to strain her eyes to Perceive how many people are where. It sounds like one or two people coming through the brush from her left. Turning a bit that way, she can see Halendor collapsing.

Cambion and Thomar are just about even with Ivonne.

Orhild is behind them and they aren't presently focused on what she is yelling.

Halendor is behind them and he just took two arrows hard.
    Spoiler: Actions ?
    Show
    to be resolved in initiative order.

Things Ivonne, Cambion, and Thomar don't know: Where are Saras and Rhys? Are they charging up and over the hill? Or cutting across the slope? Why are they charging now, instead of hanging back to take potshots at the ambushers? Some kind of Dalish bloodlust?

Something Halendor knows: his back hurts really bad.
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-12-16 at 10:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Halfling in the Playground

On Tick 11...

Cambion Drops to his knee planting Sword and Shield into the Dirt Road before drawing his Bow, Carefully picking his target as he nocks an Arrow into place.
    He is vaguely aware of Orhild shouting and attempts to listen while focusing on his task.

Spoiler
    Show

Nothing will change, this is Cambions Reflexes in action
    Minor Action: Ready - Stowing Sword and Shield and Drawing Bow
    Minor Action: Reload - Loading Bow
    Perception: (3d6+2)[5][6][1](14)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Using the cover of shadows Ivonne hides in the brush, trying to locate the nearest enemy and assess the situation. She also tries to hear Orhild.

Spoiler: 2 minor actions and perception roll
    Show

Minor action 1 - Ivonne hides in the brush. She rolls dexterity (stealth). Since she has Scouting talent which allows her to re-roll a failed dexterity (stealth) I'll just roll twice - and we'll use the best roll, ok?

(3d6+3)[6][1][1](11)
    (3d6+3)[2][4][6](15)

Minor action 2 - guard up +1. So her Defense until the end of round is 14.

Perception roll (-1 modifer for Guard up is already included) (3d6)[4][3][5](12)

Ivonne tries to find out how far in yards is the nearest enemy (and what kind of armor is he / she wearing) and what is Orhild yelling?
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-17 at 10:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184

wrapping up round two

Orhild is yelling "Back to the wagons! Damned Dalish! Damn Desta! Back to the wagons! ROLL ON!"

Ivonne finds good cover and scans the brush. She catches the silhouettes of five long-eared folk with bows, scrambling up over the top of the hill and away.

Halendor ... is not doing much. He kneels in the road, clutching at his side and at the arrows in his back. It's hard to read facial expressions by moonlight, but one might say he looks puzzled.

Thomar, like Cambion, sheds his shield and sword, unslings and strings his bow; scans the hillside with an arrow on the string. "Nothing and no-one," he growls.

Cambion, also scanning the hillside, spies a long-eared female crouched in silhouette at the crest. As he unthinkingly reaches for an arrow, she departs.

"Back to the wagons!" shouts Orhild.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Seeing that the attackers are withdrawing, Ivonne leaves her hideout and rushes to Halendor's side.

"Come on, we have to go" she says, helping him to stand up. She guides Halendor toward the wagons as fast as possible.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-17 at 08:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186

Cambion growls an agreement with Thomar before Acting upon Orhilds orders - releasing the tension in the Bowstring, but hooking the Arrow with his thumb he removes his Sheild and Sword before Backing away, still scanning the area ahead...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception(3d6+2)[6][3][5](16)
    Last edited by curst_rein; 2013-12-18 at 05:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187

The bandits are gone.

Ivonne and Cambion and Thomar realize, also, that Saras and Rhys are gone.

Ivonne somehow manages to scoop up her bow while supporting Halendor back to the lead wagon. Orhild reaches out and casually snaps off the arrow shafts sticking out of Halendor's back. "The chirurgeon at Tewars' Bann can pull the heads," she says. "Halendor, lay on your stomach on top of the load, it's sacks of salt, it's kinda soft." Her voice is tired and soft. She looks around at the other drivers, and at Tuaiss and Sidney, who stand with their swords still out. "Let's move on," she says. "Nothing to be done here. They seem to have taken what they wanted, or changed their minds about what they wanted. Let's get up the road before they change their minds again." Looking at the three remaining armed crew: "Ivonne. Cambion. Thomar. Wagon tops, bows out, arrows on, watch both sides of the road. It's all night to Tewars' Bann."

Spoiler: The wagons roll forward
    Show
    Ivonne and Cambion each should make eight perception rolls. I'll be making some WM checks.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Ivonne climbs on a top of a wagon. Once there she pulls out her bow and puts arrow on a string. She looks out for any threats.

Spoiler: 8 Perception rolls
    Show

(3d6+1)[2][2][6](11)
    (3d6+1)[6][1][3](11)
    (3d6+1)[6][6][3](16)
    (3d6+1)[2][3][3](9)
    (3d6+1)[6][2][4](13)
    (3d6+1)[2][6][3](12)
    (3d6+1)[5][3][5](14)
    (3d6+1)[4][6][2](13)
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-19 at 09:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Cambion quickly checks on Halendor before preparing to take his post...
    "Hal, I... I'm sorry - I tried to get the Archers Attention... but.. What Happened? I didn't hear any attack from the Rear"
    Cambion slips his Brandy Flask into Halendors grip and lays a soft hand on his shoulder
    "Rest my Friend, Rest and Heal"

Cambion slings his Shield and takes his position, as he readies his longbow he calls to Orhild
    "Where are Saras and Rhys? What happened"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Checks
    1:(3d6+2)[1][6][1](10)
    2:(3d6+2)[4][3][1](10)
    3:(3d6+2)[1][4][3](10)
    4:(3d6+2)[2][1][5](10)
    5:(3d6+2)[1][1][2](6)
    6:(3d6+2)[3][4][2](11)
    7:(3d6+2)[2][1][4](9)
    8:(3d6+2)[3][2][2](9)

10. - Top - End - #190

Orhild appears unwilling to answer, but she does. "They left with their kin," she says. "Shot your friend, first. I reckon that was to show their loyalty to Dalish folk, over us."

The moonlit wagon ride continues over miles and hours of gradually rising always straight road. Ivonne points out to Cambion and Thomar deer, bats, night birds, owls, bunnies, sheep, goats, and one cow that trots about half a mile mooing after them. As the moon sets west, and the eastern sky brightens grey, the wagons reach a place where a large gravel road runs west at a right angle from the main road. The wagons turn off and the creaking of the wheels becomes a gentler crunching noise.

After another half hour the eastern sky is pink and orange, and the wagons have come next to stone walls just a bit higher than Cambion's head where he stands atop the wagon. He is sleepy and stumbling as the oxen lurch back against their ox tree, halting the wagon.

"Here," says Orhild wearily. "One of you, run to the gate and fetch the chirurgeon!"

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

It took Halendor almost half hour to stop mumbling to himself. He was furious, mostly at himself. He let his guard down, and he got what he deserved. This would have never happened a year ago. He never should have started trusting people. Shoot in the back by his companions? That was so embarrassing. He can't even do anything about it. No way he can use his healing skill or his magic, and not like anyone here knows even basic first aid. Still, there is one thing he can do, play the victim, and hope to score a few points that way.
    After many curses and mumbles he shifts back into his regular demeanor and turns towards Orhild.
    "So, I made a great impression, right?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eulalios View Post
    Orhild appears unwilling to answer, but she does. "They left with their kin," she says. "Shot your friend, first. I reckon that was to show their loyalty to Dalish folk, over us."
    Ivonne says nothing when she hears about the elves' fate. However one look at her face is enough to tell that Saras and Rhys' betrayal hurt her deeply.

"Here," says Orhild wearily. "One of you, run to the gate and fetch the chirurgeon!"
    "I'll go" Ivonne volunteers. She lowers herself on the ground and rushes towards the gate, trying not to show how tired she is.

13. - Top - End - #193

As he stumbles Cambionsuddenly realises how tired he actually is...
    No time for rest... he thinks to himself...
    Drawing upon his Mental resolve and Physical Resistance the young Warrior tries to remain Alert and Ready for action...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Willpower {Self Discipline} = (3d6+4)[1][3][6](14)
    Constitution {Stamina} = (3d6+4)[5][4][2](15)

14. - Top - End - #194

When Halendor finds breath to speak during the long wagon ride, Orhild chuckles: "Drink up, that's good brandy your friend gave you. Yes, you made a good impression, right enough. It was a fine spell you cast, making the big fellow glow like that. Sure frightened those Dalish, what might you do next. ... The chirurgeon ull fix you up good. Last time I hire an elf."

Tewars' Bann, grey gloaming. Light breeze.

At the gates, as Ivonne runs, Orhild calls "Straight through the barnyard, to the main hall! The chirurgeon has a room above the hall!"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

At the gates, as Ivonne runs, Orhild calls "Straight through the barnyard, to the main hall! The chirurgeon has a room above the hall!"
    Ivonne follows Orhild's instruction. The girl is very sleepy. She can't wait till she goes to bed. However, she needs to find help for Halendor first. That's the only thing that keeps her awake.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-20 at 07:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

It's not hard to find the curmudgeonly surgeon. He's working in the hall, under the light of a floating wisp of power, which trails a tendril to another man who is sound asleep on a bench.

The surgeon is stitching an ugly gash on the burly forearm of an ugly man. He greets Ivonne curtly - "what?" And when she explains, he shrugs. "is he conscious? Then I've two worse off, yet to be seen, and the circle fellow here is tapped... But you say your fellow is a mage? Get him in here, if he can heal I'll fix him next."
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-12-22 at 08:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"My companion can't walk. And he's a bit heavy." Ivonne replies, knowing well she would probably fall asleep if she had to go back to the wagons.

She looks at guy who is sleeping on the bench "Surely, you can send two men with a stretcher for him."

Spoiler: Communication (Persuasion) roll
    Show

(3d6+4)[5][2][3](14)
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-22 at 08:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198

The surgeon isn't looking up from his stitching but he inclines his head precisely toward the sleeping figure. "If he moves, I lose my light to work. Go get two of the watch from the barracks, or get your own friends to help. Did you come on the caravan? Not much other reason why you'd be here, after what's happened. Hurry up, get your friend! ... and listen, a stretcher, that's foolishness. I'll do more damage digging out the arrowheads, and fix it after, than you could hope to do just dragging him by his feet. Well, most likely." All this without looking up from the stitching, but with a sardonic grin toward the end.
    Last edited by Eulalios; 2013-12-22 at 08:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Ivonne shakes her head with resignation. "Don't go anywhere. I'll be back soon" she says to the surgeon. Then she leaves the hall and heads towards the wagons.

"I found the surgeon. He's busy and he wants us to bring Halendor to him" Ivonne tells Orhild once she reunites with her companions. The girl looks like she is about to fall over from tiredness.

20. - Top - End - #200

Cambion throws himself from the Caravan and walks to where Halendor lays in rest - carefully sliding the Mage onto his shoulder before turning to Ivonne
    "I can take him in" Cambion states "You should rest"
    Striding towards the Bann with a look of Determination the young Nevarran whispers to Halendor
    "Don't worry Hal, you'll be up, and getting Annoyed with me again, in no time"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by curst_rein View Post
    Cambion throws himself from the Caravan and walks to where Halendor lays in rest - carefully sliding the Mage onto his shoulder before turning to Ivonne
    "I can take him in" Cambion states "You should rest"

"Thank you."
    Ivonne says with gratitude in her eyes. "The surgeon is in the hall."
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-23 at 10:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202

"The surgeon is busy," Orhild says.

"What? Why? What was he doing?"

When Ivonne describes the scene in the hall, Orhild shakes her head. "This sounds bad. I know you're tired, but please, go learn the details - from someone other than the surgeon! - while we unhitch and rub down and feed." To Cambion: "Thank you. I am sorry for my part in this." To Halendor: "And I am sorry, young man. I will make sure you are well taken care of."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"The surgeon is busy," Orhild says.

"What? Why? What was he doing?"

When Ivonne describes the scene in the hall, Orhild shakes her head. "This sounds bad. I know you're tired, but please, go learn the details - from someone other than the surgeon! - while we unhitch and rub down and feed."
    "Alright" Ivonne agrees with a weak sigh. "I'll talk to the guards."

"Let's go" she says to Cambion.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by curst_rein View Post
    Striding towards the Bann with a look of Determination the young Nevarran whispers to Halendor
    "Don't worry Hal, you'll be up, and getting Annoyed with me again, in no time"
    A faint smile appears on Halendor's face, after hearing Cambions words.
    "I never thought I will be looking forward to that."

To Halendor: "And I am sorry, young man. I will make sure you are well taken care of."
    "I'll live. It's not like that's a first time. Though I never did get one in the back."
    Last edited by Philemonite; 2013-12-23 at 11:25 AM.
    Show

LGBTAitP

25. - Top - End - #205

The morning passes with Halendor laid out face-down on a trestle table in the hall, Cambion snoozing with his head on the table next to Halendor and a big bowl of porridge. Ivonne tracks down one of the dozen or so men-at-arms, before taking a nap herself, and learns the following:

• The Tewars have been gone about three weeks, doing business in the "city"
    • The Tewars re-established the bann only about five years ago; before then, it had been fallen in near-ruin, the hall roofless, the barns and workshops mostly broken.
    • During the several decades while the bann was abandoned, freeholders continued to farm round-about, and did what they could to maintain arms for common defense. They got along tensely but peaceably with the Dalish, and on one memorable occasion about twelve years back, the freeholders and a local Dalish clan together drove off an Avvar raiding party.
    • However, since the Tewars returned and established a "proper" bann, with outriders to maintain the boundaries, relations with the Dalish have been increasingly fraught.
    • Recently, there was an incident between a widowed freeholder and a Dalish lass, which led to confrontation between the freeholder's grown children and the lass's clan. Dalish blood was spilt, and last night's bloodshed and theft of cattle are seen as an attempt to collect the blood-debt.
    • Fortunately, no-one was killed on either side; the guards are hopeful that this climactic battle will put the whole issue to rest.

"Prob'ly relates to the ambush you met," drawls one of the guards as he knuckles crust from the corners of his bloodshot eyes. He scratches his beard. "I guess they might have meant to send a message. Not sure what."

Right around the time that the slumbering owner of the mage light awakes, the surgeon has Cambion haul Halendor out onto another table that has been set up in the bright summer morning of the courtyard. The surgeon has Cambion pin down Halendor's shoulders, then gets to work, deftly yanking the arrowheads, then squirting some kind of stinging liquid into the wound. "Can you heal yourself, now?" he asks Halendor. "Then maybe get to it with some of the others?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"Prob'ly relates to the ambush you met," drawls one of the guards as he knuckles crust from the corners of his bloodshot eyes. He scratches his beard. "I guess they might have meant to send a message. Not sure what."
    "They couldn't have chosen a worse target. We're just passing through." Ivonne replies, yawning.

Once Ivonne wakes up, refreshes herself and buffs the scuff on her boot, she heads to the hall so she can share the information with her friends.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-12-23 at 05:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Right around the time that the slumbering owner of the mage light awakes, the surgeon has Cambion haul Halendor out onto another table that has been set up in the bright summer morning of the courtyard. The surgeon has Cambion pin down Halendor's shoulders, then gets to work, deftly yanking the arrowheads, then squirting some kind of stinging liquid into the wound. "Can you heal yourself, now?" he asks Halendor. "Then maybe get to it with some of the others?"
    "I can, I am skill at both mundane and magical art of healing. My neck doesn't bend that way, so I couldn't take the arrows out, but I can take it over from here. I would ask what happened here, but I'm to tired to understand your answer anyway. I will try to help the others, if I can." Even though his tone shows aggression, he facial expression actually shows exhaustion.
    "Cambion, can you find some Orlesian wine? I will need a lot of it to wash down the embarrassment. Once I am finished here, of course."
    Having no time to waste, exhausted almost to the point of passing out, he quickly casts a simple healing spell, hoping that would be enough to sustain him. He then moves on to the other patients, trying his best to help them.
    Show

LGBTAitP

28. - Top - End - #208

"I'll see what they have - Worst case scenario I'll have to get the stuff I gave you from the Market"
    Cambion places his hand on Halendors shoulder and smiles warmly,
    "I'm glad your ok Hal"

Striding from the Infirmary Cambion makes a quick trip to the Caravan to reclaim his Sword and Shield, Sheathing and Slinging them accordingly before heading off towards the Main Hall looking for a Serf or Guard to direct him to the Wine Cellar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (3d6+2)[3][6][2](13)

29. - Top - End - #209

Cambion has no trouble finding the steward, who is bustling about making sure that brunch gets fed to the several dozen people sheltered within the walls of the ring fort. However, he finds it impossible to persuade the steward that a fine bottle of Orlesian wine should be turned loose from Lord Tewars' cellars to his foreign northern hands.

Halendor's hands, meanwhile, are busied with healing himself and a steady stream of stitched-up folks whom the surgeon sends him.

Ivonne rejoins her companions and explains the story she's learnt from the friendly / sleepy man at arms. He trails along, introducing himself as Edgar. After a short while, another man at arms joins the group, sitting wearily on a bench near where Halendor is working. His name is Thomas, and he shares Cambion's darker northern coloring and mellifluous accented Trade Tongue.

Spoiler: ooc question / relevant rolls
    Show

check OOC thread for these.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Thomas rises to his feet as the rooms attention falls on him. He relates his story well but with a hint of frustration, as if it's one he's told half a dozen times since it happened. "Hey, as the lady said my name is Thomas. I suppose you'll be wondering about that little scrape last night. Well you see this Dalish woman was getting all upset about some supposed killing a few nights before. She brought a few of her kin around and they went about taking a few heads of cattle of the widow McDowell, though the mooing seems to have woken the widow's Boys.

There was a bit of a melee, though it seems that everyone holding something sharp didn't know what to do with it. After the dust settled a number of the herd were missing and more than a few of the widow's boys had gotten a cut or two. No dead is something of a blessing, though I wouldn't count on it happening a second time.
    Last edited by Red Moldova; 2013-12-26 at 04:40 PM.