New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars D20 - Freelancer(IC)

After a last look out at the nebula, the dockmaster hobbles back over to the computer terminal, his boot clanking with each step. After a moment or two of punching in information, the computer ejects a small optical chip.

The dockmaster hands over a cheap chip with the next 20 days of freight shipments on it(I'll post OOC). He shrugs a little at the personnel question and says, "Well, I don't have any major staffing changes showing on my system. I know the boys haven't had much leave, so it may be a bunch of individuals just planning some much needed vacation. Probably planning to head over for the expansion week celebrations. Down near the mess hall they've got a message board where you can trade stuff. Usually people looking to hitch rides to nearby systems will post something there."

The man scratches his chin and says, "Of course a several of the boys have their own ships, they may be planning to pile into some old bucket."
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"Thanks," Evayn says. Taking the chip, he asks, "Which way to the mess hall? And, just out of curiosity, what's going on over there?" he jerks his head toward the hatch outside. "'The games,' I assume? What's going on with that?"

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ogre in the Playground

The dockmaster tips his head to the side and mutters, "The mess halls down thata way. Follow the smella burnt food." At the games question, he raises an eyebrow and says, "'The games'? Nothing I am aware of. The men certainly have a passion for sitting around and playing cards. They do try to organize mini tournaments whenever we've got freighters docked, nothing spectacular, but just enough to scam the '20 credit entry fee' off bored ship hands."

He locks the terminal and clanks back over to the view port and says, "If you think of it as entertainment you'll be fine, but don't expect to win your money back. Only the top three players will win anything at all. It can be fun, if you make it past the first round."
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"Oh, is that all?" Evayn asks, some disappointment evident in his voice. He was never one to turn down a good game, but getting scammed by a bunch of miners wasn't what he had in mind. That'll have to wait for Bespin I guess, he thinks.

"Thanks for your help," he says to the dockmaster, then turns to leave the office. Once back in the hall, his attention is again drawn to the hatch. "Let's take a look," he says to Kaff, already headed towards the hatch.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

Evayn and Kaff head over and take a look out of the nearest view port(which is pretty far down the hallway). Nothing out of the ordinary going on. A couple small patrol craft fly a slow circuit around the base. The nebula spins in the not to far distance. The large planetoid fragments still shield this base from the main shipping lane through the nebula.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Evayn and Kaff

Having checked out the view, Evayn and Kaff head down the hallway towards the group gathered in and around an open hatchway. When the arrive, the find 'the games'. The cafeteria seating area has switched into saloon mode. A bar is setup off to the right where human in civilian cloths is selling mixed drinks.

The tables are still being arranged for the mini tourney they have planned. Those tables which are setup already are being quickly occupied from the ranks of the people standing around. You can see your 'friend' in the spiked shoulder pads sitting at a table in the middle of the room already.

A couple women in blue uniforms are bringing trays of wrapped snacks and sandwichs from the food preparation area out to a table they have setup on the righthand side of the tournement area.

The whole seating area is quite large, perhaps 30 meters by 50 meters and other than those tournement participants is empty. The tournement portion, where the tables have been moved around, is perhaps 15 meters square with enough room for 100 participants(4 to a table, with 25 tables).

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

Evayn looks doubtfully at the makeshift card tourney. "I don't know... might be fun later on," he says with some hesitation. "Let's go finish up our work and then head back." With that, he heads off to find the mess hall and the message board to look for passage requests, and perhaps to post a notice himself advertising passage.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

The message board, as Evayn and Kaff find out, is quite low tech. It is paper notes stuck to a 'sticky board', a bulletin board made of some sort of dark blue adhesive.

Evayn and Kaff weed through the various posts, most of them offering goods in trade : Cerean Lute for trade, Needed 'Red Senator' from Alderaanian Chess set, Dagobah'n Pet Swamp Rat with Cage for Trade, etc.

Eventually, they home in on the section of posts of people looking for rides. Several people have posted ride offers for the trip to Bespin, Evayn and Kaff may want to include their own offer. The three posted offers have stated prices for the one-way trip of 54 credits, 52 credits, and 51 credits.

Evayn does locate the following ride requests :
    1. Captain Luthor is looking for someone to pickup his wife, 2 children and household goods and bring them from Alkes to Zibal.
    2. Gwen is looking for a ride to Varonat.
    3. Doctor Trenaught is looking for a ride from Zibal to Caroline
    4. Lt. Byleed is looking to have his 'personal starship' brought from Pulcherrima to Zibal.

Regional Map(for reference)
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-11-07 at 05:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

Evayn posts a message near the other ride offers; "Transport to Bespin, 15 credits per day (average trip length, 3 days) in communal area. Three private cabins available; 150 credits per day." He leaves contact information for the Mule, makes a mental note of the other information on work, and prepares to return to the ship. "At least we know somewhere we can always find something to do," he comments.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

"Yeah," Kaff replied. "Do you want to offer that Doctor a lift as well? Caroline isn't that far from Bespin. There are probably more people there who want to go to Bespin as well."

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"Good idea," Evayn answers. "Is there contact information for him? We'll try to get in touch soon--I'll have to ask Kera how much longer that would take for the extra hop. We may lose Bespin-goers if there's a stopover to add time and money to the trip. Either that, or let that leg of the journey be free of charge." Evayn checks the notice for contact info, then looks back down the hall. "Let's check with the quartermaster next. See if he's got any spare furniture."

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Evayn and Kaff dig back through the posts looking for the good doctor's post. After a minute, they find it.

Ride Needed 500 Credits
    Caroline System
    Time to use up all my vacation time. Need a private room so I can continue my research analysis enroute.
    Doctor Trenaught (X56-R73B)
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-11-10 at 04:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

Making a note in his datapad of the doctor's information, Evayn begins walking to the quartermaster's area. On the way, he activates his comlink and hails the ship. "We're about to head to the quartermaster's. Need anything else for the repairs while we're there?" he asks. "Well... anything that I'll be able to identify or ask for..." he adds, remembering the pile of what looked like garbage that Daine brought back the first time.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Over the commlink to Evayn: "Nope, we're all set. Until we break something else, anyway. Or find the next set of jury-rigged repairs, or get shot again."

Kera takes the wire when it's offered and heads up to the bridge to start working on the offending dataport.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine leans back from the console in the engineering bay for a moment as he raises his comm. "Some 10T-C power couplings would be nice," he says. "Its always good to have a few spares."

He chuckles softly then moves out of the engineering alcove to find Kera and see if she needed any help with the data port. "Remember, splice the same color wires this time, no running power through the receive contact," he says, grinning at her.
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.
    Santanya: Its an addition. I need my fix.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

Giving Daine a scowl that is only just barely not a grin, Kera says, "Don't you have anything better to do than to tell me how to do your job? Do you want to do this? Because you can do this and I can supervise and make the obnoxious comments if you want." She cuts off a section of wire after measuring it twice. "That's really a more efficient division of labor, as it plays to both of our strengths."

17. - Top - End - #1067

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine chuckles softly. "Well, if I do it, how will I ever learn to critique you?" he asks, grinning and glancing down at the data port. He chuckles and drops down rotating under the console to get at the wiring and holds out his hand for the tool. "Hmm, not a uncomfortable spot."
    DarkLadyoftheSith: Its not a Santanya post if there's not an edit at the end of it.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"10T-C power couplings," Evayn repeats uneasily. "Got it," he says, and switches off the comlink, then begins muttering the words over and over, trying to lock it in his mind. "I knew I shouldn't have asked. Chairs. Chairs I can do," he says to no one in particular as he makes his way to the quartermaster.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

She presses both the tool she's using into Daine's hand, but keeps the wire for the moment. After ducking back underneath the console herself, she just lies on the floor next to him, one arm folded so her hand is behind her head. She rests her elbow of her other arm, the one on Daine's side and holding the wire, on the floor, holding it so he can take the wire whenever he's ready for it. "So, we're not getting paid, but we can still buy stuff if we want it and can afford it. This is kind of a weird situation, yeah? I mean, I've always just been paid. Well, promised pay, anyway. Or," she grins, "you know, Cap Shanze let me live on his boat and fly it sometimes."

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Evayn and Kaff head back to the quartermaster's stock room again. When they arrive the quartermaster is busy with two men in white lab coats and black pants and well polished black shoes. He nods at you, smiles, and then returns his focus to the other customers.

Evayn and Kaff look around a bit and eventually find the furniture section. They've got several varieties, from galaxy standard folding chairs, to stackable fixed leg chairs, to hover chairs(with no legs), to nice dining room sorts of high backed chairs, to a used captain's chair(which is large with padded seat, seat belt, nearly a dozen foldout control models, computer screens, etc. You also find a selection of benches, couches, and other seating choices.

Prices
    Spoiler
    Show

Folding Chairs(metal, no padding) - 10 credits each
    Stackable Chairs(composite, no padding) - 12 credits each
    Stackable Chairs(composite, with padding) - 18 credits each
    Hover Chairs(100+ hours of use per battery pack) - 275 credit each
    Dining Room Chairs - 150 credits each
    Captain's Chair - 650 credits
    2 meter long Bench - 15 credits each
    2 meter long used couch - 70 credits
    3 meter long new couch - 350 credits each (only 2 available)
    Hanging 'net' swing chairs - 40 credits each
    Hanging 'triple decker' cots - 180 credits each
    Floor mat(1 meter square) - 1 credit each
    Padded Floor mat(1 meter square) 3 credits each
    Foldup Cot - 4 credits each

Mule :
    Spoiler
    Show

Mule came equipped with 18 fold out sleeping racks(really its 6 triple decker ones).
    The floorspace of the Mule's cargo area is a little over 100 square meters.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

Evayn proceeds to pick out 20 each of the better-looking metal folding chairs and foldup cots. "Even this may be overshooting it, from the number of other offers. Still, I suppose we can always come back if we need more." He waits as necessary for the quartermaster and attempts to negotiate a slightly better price for 'buying in bulk.' Regardless, the cost is easy to bear at this point, given the current 'business account.'

Diplomacy - (1d20+11)[26]

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

As Evayn and Kaff haul their gear up to the counter, the quartermaster approachs from behind with a small hover cart. He helps them load up and then pushes the cart up the counter. While he walks he says, "Decided not to go into mining? Looks like you've arranged some passengers. Heading somewhere warm I hope. Boy, I could really use a couple days on the beach... anyway." He looks over what they have, weighing Evayn's suggestions and says, "Tell you what, I'll throw in 5 folding tables for the recommended price of 280 credits, or if you really don't want the tables you can take what you have for 240 credits? Deal?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-11-16 at 06:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073

AssassinGuy

Daine

Daine chuckles as he works on the data port. "Oh if he could see you know," he says, grinning slightly. "It is weird," he adds after a moment. "But on the other hand we have a stake in this boat, not just the promise of getting paid." He begins stripping the ends of the wire and gauging the piece needed to replace it. "Besides, the foods good, and there's decent people as well," he says with a smile, plucking the wire from Kera's hand gently. He smiles looking towards her. "Doesn't feel like a dead end."

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"Sounds good, we'll take the tables." He pays the man the 280 owed, thanks him again, and sets out with Kaff to return to the ship with the furniture.

{Are there tiedowns or racks on the ship or anything? Should we be concerned about storing these things?}

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"Oh, I forgot," Evayn says. He returns to the quartermaster and tells him, "I just remembered. My engineer says we could use some more... uh... 10T-C power couplings, if you've got some lying around."

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera

"Nope. It sure doesn't." She grins at Daine. "You would have liked him." A pause and a wider grin. "He would've beat you with your own wrench for messing around with his little girl, but after that you would've got along great." She sighs a little and the grins fades quickly. "He knew, you know. He knew and he made sure I wasn't there when it happened. Whatever it was. I wish I knew what happened. If he got shot down, or arrested, or what." Then she shakes her head and drops the rest of the wire on Daine's chest. "Doesn't matter, though. Never mind." She sits up, taking care to not hit her head on the console. "I'm gonna go clear out my cabin. I'll try not to mess up your stuff too much."

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

The quartermaster says, "10T-C power couplings? Hmm.. I'm not familiar with some of these older ship parts. Lets check the system." He logs into the nearby terminal and pokes around for a minute or two. He then says, "I don't any of those. I do have a Rothana B-83 Power Coupling which claims to be state of the art and has the same interface specification as the 10T-C. You want some of those? I've got a whole case of them. If they don't fit, your engineer can probably jury rig an interface, but he he can't you can always bring them back. Just don't break'em. Lets see.. 6 each, or 2 for 10 credits?"

The quartermaster walks down an aisle, hangs a right and down a couple meters then gets down on his hands and knees and pulls out a couple small fist sized boxes. "So.. how many you want?"

Kaff's eyes kind of glaze over while looking at the nearby power couplings, clamps, I/O ports and such. Then he notices the various boxes of grenades across the aisle from the power couplings. His eyes brighten as he browses.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-11-17 at 03:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

Evayn ponders the unfamiliar jargon, wondering if it makes any difference; Daine had asked for 'a few spares, so... "Let's go with four of 'em, I guess. He didn't specify." He doesn't bother to quibble over the cost, transferring another 20 credits. He glances over at Kaff, waiting to finalize the purchase in case he decides that proper and thorough security must include grenades.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Orc in the Playground

Kaff

Some might consider that Kaff would be unhappy as he had essentially been brought along as a kind of beast-of-burden. However, Kaff didn't really mind. If he'd been left back at the ship he'd have been worried about what was happening to Evayn while he was away. Here, he knew that Evayn was fine, there was no danger, and the only price he had to pay for this peace of mind was hefting a few things.

When he saw Evayn looking at the grenades and then glancing at him, Kaff knew what the Captain was thinking. "Well sir, it's your decision but just consider that grenades are not exactly a good weapon to use on a ship, especially your ship. Still, the decision is yours."

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Evayn

"I suppose they aren't, but I trust you to use your judgment to apply the proper amount of force with the proper tools when it's appropriate. We certainly could've used a few back at that freighter. Why don't you go ahead; get yourself something nice."