New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default [PF] Dragon's Delve - Team A (In Character)

Any inquiries regarding gathering information about the Dragon's Delve or a place for a traveler to stay would have you pointed to the Lost Shepherd. The sign over the front door of the Lost Shepherd Inn lives up to its name, showing a robed shepherd with a crooked staff but no flock. The building is well tended to and kept in good repair, but looks like it has seen a lot of years pass.

Inside, the taproom is warm and comfortable, fires crackling in hearths spread through the room to ward off the early evening chill. The room is populated, but not crowded with perhaps a dozen townsfolk scattered among the different tables. There is a doorway behind the bar, which from the sounds seems to lead to the kitchen. A closed door on the back of the room, likely leads to either the owners quarters or private offices, and a flight of stairs up leads to the rooms available for rent.

A middle-aged halfling with black hair slicked back into a ponytail and a gold-toothed smile bustles behind the bar, giving a nod as you enter and a young human woman is moving out among the tables with a serving tray to busy to notice new arrivals.

To one side of the room, an older dwarf who looks rough and tumble and heavy armor and a greataxe beside him roars with loud laughter, holding court before several peasants. Its difficult to tell if they are amused by his story or just by his antics.

Sitting back in one of the corners you can spot a tall elf, wearing loose fitting clothing, picking at a plate of food with a knife and fork, appearing to purposefully ignore the rest of the crowd.

Finally, sitting at the bar itself is a broad shouldered middle aged human. He has short brown hair and a scar across his jaw, with a longsword on his hip and longbow perched beside him.

The room is welcoming with several large open tables and well worn chairs awaiting claim.
    Last edited by Richter; 2016-08-05 at 04:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Dragon's Delve - Team A (In Character)

Quinn Nazari

Being new to the adventuring lifestyle as he was, busy taverns and roadside inns never ceased to amaze Quinn; each night they filled with a new amalgamation of races, professions, and lifestyles all coming together to create an environment that was truly unique. Shaking off the chill of the outside air he returns the halfling's nod and takes quick a quick glace around the room as he begins to make way toward one of the empty tables near the wall. Noting the dozen or so inhabitants he wonders where each of them might be from and what brought them to the Lost Shepherd.

Unslinging his backpack and shortbow he places them against the wall near his chair and flops himself down, the wooden seat being quite the reprieve after a day on his feet.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Do either the dwarf or the scarred man sport any sort of colors or insignia that I'd recognize?

For your use if needed: (1d20)[4]
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aaron steps in out of the waning sunlight, a weary smile on his face. Looking about the common room his smile grows a little wider at the sight of the happy people around him. "It is so different from the dour expressions you might find in Cheliax," he murmurs to himself before seeing a familiar face. Walking over to Quinn's table he asks, "Mind if I join you?" before settling carefully into a chair and ordering a light meal from the serving maid as she passes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hopton enters the building with a gait that seems to declare ownership of all within his field of vision. He finds a seat at the bar, and returns the tender's nod. "Evenin' pal! Let me start wit ha pint of whatever you brew around these parts. I've more than a day's worth of dust to wash out of my gullet!" From his elevated vantage point, he takes the time to turn around in his seat, taking in the sights and sounds of early evening at the Lost Shepherd. His eyes linger warily on both the muscle-bound human to his right and the ludicrously-armored Dwarf, but neither command his interest for long.

He offers a short whistle of appreciation as the serving made walks past. "Heya, sweetheart! What's on the menu tonight?" He smirks at his own two-edged jibe, both seriously interested in food and seriously interested in... other things.

Turning back to the barkeep after her response (or lack thereof), he smiles. "I can't even begin to say how comforting it is to see so many of the small folk about. Your little town has already won my heart!" He raises the mug of ale in a one-man toast, and takes a swig.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

Mildly lost in though and just soaking in the atmosphere of the place, Quinn hadn't even noticed the entrance of someone he recognized. "Ah ha!" he exclaims at Aaron's request. "Of course! Barely settled in here myself, just starting to get comfortable." He explains as they attempt to flag down the ever-busy server as to each order a small meal. "Quite the crowd this evening eh?" He remarks, his comment punctuated by another hearty outburst of laughter from the grizzled dwarf.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Knowledge Nobility DC 10(Untrained OK) - Scarred Man
    Show
    The man has a small crest on his tunic that indicates he is likely the sheriff.

Spoiler: Perception DC 15 - Elf
    Show
    The elf without armor or weapon and doesn't look very muscular, but nor do you see any pouch that you would expect to carry spell components either.

Spoiler: Perception DC 10 - Dwarf
    Show
    The dwarf is just wrapping up a story about his time in the delve.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show
    The dwarf's hands are scarred and calloused to the point that he must have been striking thing constantly, far more than would make sense for a warrior. Much more likely a woodcutter or miner.

The server glances over her shoulder at Hopton and looks like she's about to say something sharp when the barkeep interrupts by slapping down a mug of frothy ale in front of him. "Sure thing, chap. Lots of folks like to pass through here. Big. Small. Don't matter much. So you and your friends passing through town, or passing through..." As he trails off he gives a bit of an eye waggle.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show
    A middle-aged human peeks out from the kitchen area for just a moment when the waitress is hit on, a protective glance, though he disappears back into the room when the bartender intervenes.

The serving girl takes much more kindly to Quinn just waving her over, and she ducks over to the table and flashes a smile. She's pretty, though not beautiful by any stretch and probably in her early 20s. "Newcomers? Name is Taran. What can I get ya?"
    Last edited by Richter; 2016-08-06 at 10:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Archibald climbed wearily from his spot on the wagon, his joints aching from the long journey, unaccustomed to day-long walks and sharing a seat with bags of beets. He also notice, a bit ruefully, that the other travelers that he'd come to know on the trip seemed little worse for wear. That unflappable halfling, for instance, had disappeared almost as fast as the caravan-master could point and say "tavern".

Which actually sounds pretty good, Archie thought to himself. At the very least, I need to keep those fellows in sight.

The thought of wasting time here in this backwater town until someone else capable came along was almost as unbearable as the thought of braving the Delve without bodyguards. As impatient as Archibald is, suicidal he is not.

A short walk later that did little to ease his aches, Archie pushes open the door to the Lost Shepard. Several of his traveling companions had already made themselves comfortable; that Cheliax noble Aaron visiting with the waitress, and Hopton already mug in hand at the bar. The other patrons Archie dismissed for now; if the were of any importance, he'd find out in due time. He certainly had more pressing things to do than deal with that tin-can of a dwarf and the grating, raucous laughter coming from his entourage.

Archie pulls himself straighter, and decided to join Aaron at his table. As fun as it was to talk with Hopton, he would leave that for when he had the energy to deal with the halfling's excess of it.

Impressions are everything, thought Archie as he stepped up to the table with as much dignity as he could muster. With Aaron occupied with the waitress, Archie turned to the other man seated at the table.

"Greetings sir, may I join your table?

(Unnoticed by Archie is the large red stain on his lower back. The casual observer could infer that he was either recently stabbed in the kidney, or had leaned up against a jostling bag of beets for too long)
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-08-06 at 03:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

In Asmodia's experience, there's exactly two ways to enter a tavern. You can either make a normal entrance, sliding quietly into an empty seat, or you can make the biggest entrance. Tempting as it is to go make a splash, the little halfling got there first and it'd be impolite to just eclipse him like that. So a more subdued approach it is.

Asmodia returns the bartender's nod and beelines for the laughing dwarf. Dwarves were pretty good at finding treasure, right? It stood to reason. And finding treasure was why she was here, wasn't it? It was indeed! With a smooth motion she pulled out a chair from the table and plopped down into it, catching the dwarf's eye as he took a breath. "Ho there, friend! Heard any good ones lately?"

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perception check: (1d20+3)[23]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

(when the waitress gets around to Archie)
    "Yes, if you would, I'd like a hot meal, a warm bath, and a cold drink, preferably in that order."
    As Archie turned back, he caught sight of the other traveler he'd had an eye on. Asmodia, the other one from Cheliax. He'd come to know here as a force of personality on par with Hopton... though perhaps with a bit more guile. Noting her taking a seat near that dwarf, he almost felt sorry for him. Well, at least if the windbag knew anything pertinent, she'd get it out of him.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

[Upon Archibald's arrival]

Quinn responds with a slight nod of the head and a sweeping 'by all means' gesture of the hand toward one of the still empty chairs at the table. "Of course, of course! Sit, relax!" A grin spreads across his face as the man sits and he snaps his attention briefly back to the server who seems to have noticed them and is heading their way. "Fancy your timing the both of ya, just in time for some food."

[Once the server is at the table]

"Good evening Taran." Quinn starts, giving a small smile before continuing. "Name's Quinn, a bit new 'round here I suppose, and just looking for a quite bite and a good drink." He extends a hand and motions towards Aaron first then toward Archibald, he considers introducing them but figures it best not to steal their thunder.

Once the introductions are done and she begins detailing the food options, Quinn will order a simple meal like chicken and a cheap ale to accompany it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hopton smiles all the wider as the waitress' look and poignant lack of response. A short bark of a laugh is interrupted by the introduction of a tankard of ale to his field of vision. "Marvelous! I'll have to make a mental not to commend the service!" He extends a wiry hand in greeting with a wink. "The name's Hopton! -And may I ask who has the pleasure of being my first acquaintance in this charming town?"

Gazing at the tankard as if it were a long-awaited lover, Hopton takes a deep breath and spends a full 9 seconds with the mug against his lips- bottom in the air. A few stray trickles make their lazy way down the small man's chin, as an empty mug resounds hollowly with the bar. An expression of near-unbridled ecstasy hangs upon his easy smile as a wiry arm draws sleeve across his face.

"Ahhhh. That. Was a magnificent start! Can't hardly say how it tasted, so I think I'll need another- ah, but with food this time! Shall I- ahh..." Hopton affects a thoroughly false look of embarrassment as he tips his head in the direction of the waitress. Still facing the barkeep, he competes the thought: "Shall I make the request of yonder lass?"

His meal duly ordered, Hopton turns to his nearest fellow patron: the scarred human. "Ho there, friend! Pray tell, how might an amicable fellow make merry without finding himself afoul of neither the good senses nor the lawful authorities? It seems prudent to ask a local, after all- and it wouldn't do to get in hot water before half the town knows your name! Haha!"

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

As Archibald and Quinn speak, Aaron nods with a smile, silently taking in the sights of the common room. It is only when Taran asks for his meal order that he speaks. "I'll have whatever your special is tonight, along with a light ale, please," he tells her, continuing to silently watch as the halfling from the caravan - "Hopton, that was his name..." - and Asmodia each enter and go their different ways. He seems content to listen at the moment, his eyes constantly moving about the room as he takes in the sights.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (Nobility) (1d20)[12] (Untrained)
    Perception (Elf) (1d20+3)[11]
    Perception (Dwarf) (1d20+3)[6]
    Perception (Cook?) (1d20+3)[23]

He notes the cook's (?) protective glance at Hopton's comments regarding Taran with a satisfied nod, apparently pleased at the man's protectiveness.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Pulling himself straighter, Archibald announces, "I am Archibald Ironfist, of the Taldor Ironfist line", more for the room's benefit than the serving maid's.

(After orders have been taken)

"Quinn," says Archie as the waitress leaves, "if I may impose, I have a few questions about some comments you made earlier. More precisely, the rumors surrounding the old duchy that was once near here. While I've read a thing or two about it myself, those accounts were... thin, at best."
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-08-08 at 04:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The dwarf raises a brow at the newcomers approach and gives a gap toothed grin. His voice is gruff and think with the smell of alcohol as he replies. "Supposin' that depends on what you mean by good, or by lately, eh?" He chuckles some at that, as if amused by his own little joke, and several of those who were listening to his stories manage to fade their attention back to their own tables, the newcomer giving them a reprieve from having to listen. "What tales do you seeK? I've battled, explored and woven tales all over this area and below, if you catch my drift. I always enjoy sharing a story, if you are happy to share some ale."

The waitress nods her head to Archie with a smile. "Sure enough, though an offer for a bath comes with a room. Common room closes in a few hours, so depending on your bath you might want to shuffle your priorities. 5 silver pence a night for a room, no more than two guests to a room, Judello can give you the key." She pauses in her practiced spiel to nod towards the Halfling behind the bar. "Taproom closes at tenth bell, there is a back entrance for guests. There is a kettle stove outside the shared bathrooms where you can ready yourself a bath." She nods her head to Quinn and Aaron with another smile. "Certainly, I'll get a tray and pitcher brought over for you and your friends."

The halfling behind the bar shakes Hopton's hand with a grin. "Names, Judello. Pleasure to meet you, certainly, always welcome newcomers especially the adventuring sort. Never know when they'll actually return with some coin to spend." He winks at that, taking the tankard back and refilling it below the bar. "The lass handles the tavern proper, but I can deal with requests here. I assume your friends and yourself need a room?"

When Hopton's attention turns to the tall human, he turns to him and gives a small nod and a smaller smile that doesn't look as if it comes very naturally to him. His voice is low and slow, but it seems he's clearly educated. "Making such a request is a good start, I imagine, though if you are one of the trickle passing through following after tales of glory and gold then you likely already lack those same good senses. We are as quiet a town as we can be, don't fight, don't steal and don't rabblerouse and you should do fine. Weapons are a necessary evil in these parts, so you'll have no trouble with them on your person though I expect them to remain properly sheathed while you are in the town proper. I spend much of my time with the farms surrounding, they deal with most of the worries, so if you have any questions flag down a constable, they'll help you out."
    Last edited by Richter; 2016-08-08 at 06:05 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Hopton's grin only widens at Judello's amicable response. "Well, I brought more than enough for a few days, and I can assure you: you're near the top of the list of folks who'll know if I find more!" His eyes narrow in honest interest "Now, when you say return, from whence are you referring?" As Judello looks ready to answer, Taran walks by- distracting Hopton.

"Ah.. Miss! Miss? I- uhhh, I was serious, earlier. I'd love to know what meal you have prepared. I've journeyed far the last few days, and am in desperate need of finer fare than hard tack and crusty cheese." He offers the serving girl his most winsome and disarming smile, before making an order and turning to the scarred fellow- his previous question lost in the bustle of keeping bar.

He listens to the man respond, responding jokingly, "Hmmm, I enjoy a good fight, but wouldn't dare start one, stealing is cruel and dirty, but.... I'm quite fond of rousing rabble, if you know what I mean! Hahaha!" The man's forced smile and steady speech continues onward, and Hopton's eyes grow ever more wary. "Waaaaait a second..." The Halfling eyes the taller, serious man, with an expression mixing disbelief and the attitude of a cornered cat. "You said you, personally, expect them sheathed? You, ah..." A few long seconds tick by, as Hopton thinks over his previous words.

"BAWWW HA AHAHA!!!" A wheezing gasp of breath is all Hopton can squeeze between the uproarious laughter. "Hahaha! You're the-" gasp "You're the bloody-" gasp "the sheriff?! Bahaha!!!" gasp

The little man all-but falls to the floor, tears streaming down his face as he laughs at his own spectacular social faux-pas. One hand holds desperately to the bar's surface, belaying his wiry frame. Still sniffing back the tears, he chokes out a question. "Did I- did I introduce myself? You can call me QUINN! BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" The wooden thud of Hopton making contact with the floorboards puts only a brief paws in the small man's mirth, as his hiccuping laughter continues on the floor.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Harhoult View Post
    Pulling himself straighter, Archibald announces, "I am Archibald Ironfist, of the Taldor Ironfist line", more for the room's benefit than the serving maid's.

(After orders have been taken)

"Quinn," says Archie as the waitress leaves, "if I may impose, I have a few questions about some comments you made earlier. More precisely, the rumors surrounding the old duchy that was once near here. While I've read a thing or two about it myself, those accounts were... thin, at best."

Spoiler: Perception roll
    Show
    Perception roll determining how much of the sheriff's and Hopton's dialog I caught:
    (1d20)[15]

The explosive laughter from Hopton interrupts Archie's train of thought.

"Though that may have to wait until there are fewer halflings about besmirching your character"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taran View Post
    "Certainly, I'll get a tray and pitcher brought over for you and your friends."
    "Much obliged, we're looking forward to it for sure." He says clapping his hands together in subdued excitement and then rubbing his palms together as he turns back to his companions.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    "Quinn, if I may impose, I have a few questions about some comments you made earlier. More precisely, the rumors surrounding the old duchy that was once near here. While I've read a thing or two about it myself, those accounts were... thin, at best."
    Quinn's interest was suddenly piqued. He was still trying to get a feel for Archibald as the pair hadn't spoke to any great extent during the caravan journey, and he was certainly eager to find where the man's curiosities lay. "Of course, not often that tavern table conversation drifts into realm in which I have the expertise." He gives a sly dart of the eye toward Hopton at the bar chatting it up with the bartender and anyone who will listen. "Usually folks just want a good drink and to do some boasting eh? What sort of questions are on your...." He trails off as the explosive laughter from the bar suddenly attempts to trump all other noises in the common room.

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    "Though that may have to wait until there are fewer halflings about besmirching your character"
    "That would seem to be the case..." Quinn mutters to the table as his attention turns to the ruckus currently unfolding at the bar. It was his luck after all that something like this would happen at the least opportune time. "At least he had the common decency to pull the stunt within earshot rather than we find out about it in the worst of ways eh? Who's turn is it to go pull him out of a mess this time?" His worries that this might some how mar their standing with the sherrif, and the town proper, were only overshadowed by the sinking feeling that this might somehow delay his first real meal in some time.

'Couldn't he have waited until we'd had a full meal and a good nights rest...?'

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Aaron watches and listens, smiling at the foolhardy joke developing. "Sometimes you wonder if the good luck is worth having them around..." he says to Archibald, gesturing at the halfling rolling on the floor. "He's only had one beer too!"

With an aloof decorum practiced over many, many social events with his family, Aaron deliberately observes without engaging in the tomfoolery he knows Hopton loves so much. "This will likely get more entertaining before it gets less..."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Judello looks surprised by the question, and is just about to answer when the laughter starts. The sherriff, for his part, takes the outburst in stride. He leans back against the bar again on his elbows, giving a slight shake of his head. "Don't worry about introductions. If you are like most adventurers in these parts, I won't need to learn your names."

Taran passes by, setting a steaming stew and fresh mug before the laughing halfling before continuing on to drop a large tray, along with a pitcher and several tankards at the main table. The Sheriff casually picks up the mug from beside Hopton's plate and takes a long pull from it before speaking to the waitress. "Quinn here will be needing another."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The sheriff's first words come like a shot to the gut. Hopton's laughter quickly subsides, and he scrambles back into his seat. "You wound me, good sir!" But his interest has obviously been piqued. "So... You're saying you get a lot of adventuring traffic? Is it all about that ehh... what was it called? Some cavern one of my caravan-mates kept blabbering on about, or an old abandoned castle or something? A... duck, uhhh ducky- no, that's not right.."

"A duchy?"
    "Yes! That's it! A duchy! An old abandoned duchy! That's where all the adventurers go, eh? And what, most don't come back?" Just as Hopton reaches out for it, his tankard is procured by the sheriff. Frowning in mock disbelief and dejection, the Halfling settles for a bite of stew as Judello fills another mug- at the sheriff's deadpan request.

Hopton can't help but release a laughing snort around a mouthful of stew, as the man calls him the wrong name. For a moment, it looks like he might choke as a laughing fit threatens to overpower his hunger- but in the end, Hopton's belly prevails. His breath regulates and he swallows the bite. One finger projects almost accusingly, "Well, you'll see. I'll go check out this Duchy thing, and be back before you know it! You better not forget me!"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Archie stifles a laugh behind a gloved hand at Hopton's antics,hoping anyone watching would mistake it for a yawn. The halfling's antics over the last week or so had often gotten a smile out of Archie (not that he'd admit it).

The sheriff's indifference, however, irked Archie's elitist side. His face did a few small cold things that would have made those more familiar with him take a step back.

"Even if you do not note our names now, you will come to recognize our prowess in due time. I swear this on the name Ironfist!"

Archie paused and took a breath. Calm yourself. Deeds, not words, move these people... and you've none yet. Attempting to back down gracefully, Archie had a thought and smirked a bit. Perhaps he could get in a jab at Hopton after all...

"Besides, I myself look forwards to the day when the deeds of "Quinn" are echoed far and wide; though he best master staying on his seat first."

That out of the way for now, Archie turned back to his meal, a bit embarrassed from his outburst. Some sort of stew, with fresh bread on the side. After a cautious sampling, Archie digs in with barely contained gusto.
    Spoiler: Diplomacy roll for sheriff, if needed
    Show

[roll]1d20+4[/roll]

(The attentive observer would notice that Archie has left his gloves on for the meal.)
    Last edited by Harhoult; 2016-08-09 at 06:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Aaron listens as the sheriff speaks, before stepping forward and saying, "Sir - I couldn't help but overhear that you represent the law in town, but I did not catch your name. How would you like to be addressed, should we have need of you?" Looking at both Hopton and Archibald he continues, "Please excuse the antics of my two companions - we have been traveling for several days and they are clearly itching to make trouble of one kind or another. The halfling is not, in fact, named Quinn at all. That gentlemen," he points to the real Quinn, "...is so named. The halfling is Hopton, and Archibald Ironfist is the passionate one at our table. My name is Aaron Tanessen, and should you have need of a willing arm, either to help around town or in your work, please consider me. I have much work to do to improve my family's reputation and remove the stain of Cheliax from our bloodline..."

Then, after listening politely to the sheriff's response, Aaron excuses himself to continue eating. He seems unaware of Asmodia's presence, though it is not clear if he would have presumed to introduce her without her permission in the first place.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Diplomacy rolled in OoC - 22

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Asmodia studied the dwarf, her eyes flicked down to the man's tough, calloused hands. Those were the hands of a day laborer, not the adventurer he'd claimed to be. Part of the local color, presumably, given the other's reaction to his story. Braggarts still told interesting stories, of course, but -

Well, having her erstwhile traveling companions making such a scene seemed more important. Asmodia gave the dwarf a practiced wink that promised more attention later before turning on her heel and heading for the other table, flashing the sheriff a quick smile. "And I'd introduce myself, but given your stated preferences that might be somewhat rude. I'll just have to remain a mystery. Now, I don't suppose you've heard anything interesting lately?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Had to type this on my phone, power went down at my place last night which was a fun surprise. I'll fix any grammar/bbcode problems once I get an actual keyboard. Not super happy with this post but don't want to hold everyone up anymore either.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hopton's mouth falls agape at Aaron's admission. "Aw, you spoilsport!" A distinctly more sullen Halfling resumes consuming his meal. Despite the ousting, the food is still good, and the company is pleasant enough. Of course, Judello smirks more than a little- having previously been intruded and overheard the tirade.

Hopton looks up as Asmodia saunters towards the bar, offering the woman a bigger-than-genuine smile. His eyes wait till hers are averted to more obviously admire her frame and poise. "Judello!" Hopton calls. "My beautiful friend here is distinctly lacking in the ale department! Be a pal and rectify that for me, won't you?" Hopton offers the Aasimar a wink, and ostensibly returns to focusing his attention primarily on the food. The canny observer might notice more than a few stolen, appreciative glances.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The canny observer might have to top a stealth check of (1d20+12)[15] or a bluff check of (1d20+8)[19], if such a check is appropriate to hide his chauvinistic appreciative behavior.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The halflings light questions cause the sheriff to take a sad look on his face and shake his head slightly. "You really don't know what you are getting into do you? You'd best learn quickly as this isn't an area to fool with. There are creatures here not found anywhere else and monsters flock in numbers to the delve. Most adventurers don't come back. You are in the fallen duchy. We were ruled by a duke and duchess a century ago, from a castle overtop the entrance to the delve. Until they were found to be cavorting with devils. The people overthrew them and burned the castle down. That was the last true government this region had, which is why we hold that name. If you wish to be technical, we fall under the sway of Mivon, but they lose more tax collectors than they earn in this area, so we aren't quite worth their attention."

"We see a lot of your kind come through here, and not many come back. Those who do certainly don't normally stop running this close to the delve. So my friend, keep your sense of humor about you," He nods a moment towards Archie "Think your name will protect you, but don't think that going below is a joke." As he finishes his speech he takes up his mug again, drinking deep from it with a look that clearly says he's given this talk often and seldom had it taken to heart.

He sighs some at Aaron's question, pushing up from the bar to give a nod of his head towards him. "The name is Erro Mansan. I am the Sheriff in these parts. I understand the need for a ruckus, tensions are often high here and people need to release them somehow. But I've seen too many people lost to not giving this area its proper respect. You seem to have your wits. Don't let your friends make that same mistake." To the rest of the questions, he gives a small smirk. "There is often trouble around, though if I'm doing my job most of that is stopped before it reaches the village proper. If you deal with any of the bestial host or something that has roamed into the area, I'd certainly appreciate it. If you need help, I am most often out of town, so it may be easier to find my constables."

Judello places out a mug before Asmodia, giving a bit of a nod, though he seems to stay out of the way of the sheriff. The sheriff gives a bit of a shrug of his shoulders at the question. "If you want rumors of the delve, you were already talking to the right person." He nods a bit towards the dwarf, then again towards the elf in the back corner. "If you want facts, Felstor's likely to be better help. My concerns have been more of the surface sort. As I said, we get a lot of trouble here you might not see elsewhere, adventurers aren't the only ones who seem drawn to the delve. Damnable Host has been growing strong again of late, I suspect they have new leader that has been riling up the troops and bringing in some new members. I had to deal with an ogre the other day along with the orcs and goblins that normally make up their rank and file. Been having some issues with more classic brigands too, though I can't imagine what their thoughts are. If you're a local, you probably don't have much and if you aren't then you at least think you are an adventurer and not the best target. Fools, all of them."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hopton shrugs, for the moment either legitimately or falsely affecting a more somber presence. "All due respect, I'm not so sure anything in life isn't a joke- most of them bad ones. I may try my hand to this delve you're talking about- not out of any recklessness or bluster, but to see what I see. One way or another, I'll life free, find my fortune, and just maybe- if I get the chance- give a little payback." He raises his tankard, in something resembling acknowledgement or self-mocking toast.

A smirk floods back into his face. "At any rate, I see two options for tonight. First, we could sit about, moping about one thing or another- gods know there's plenty of source material. Or, we can enjoy a hot meal, a soft bed, some fine ales-" he inclines his head to Judello- "and celebrate! TO LIFE, FREEDOM, AND TREASURE! Judello! Next round's on me!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hotpon's tab: 2 ales for himself, 1 for the sheriff, 1 for Asmodia, +1 more each, for whoever in the tavern wants one (brings the current total to at least 5, as Hopton is going to have a third).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

(After Hopton's proclamation)

"Hear hear!" Archie raised his glass to the halfling.

Dispite what Archie felt about Hopton personally (the erratic, eccentric, crude thing he was), he couldn't help be infected by his cheer. For the first time in months, Archie felt that things might be looking up. If there was a quarter of the treasure in the Delve that the bards spoke of, he would soon be a very, very rich man. Far richer than he'd be gaining wealth in any legitimate way, anyhow. Rich enough to hire mercenaries, good ones and...

But that was a thought for another time. Besides, a few things the sheriff had said nagged at Archie.

He didn't recognize the name Ironfist? Does that mean Roland didn't come here after all? Or, if he did, didn't come back?
    No. He is too strong for that. Besides, the sheriff himself said he doesn't try to remember names. Perhaps someone else recalls...

Archie sighed into his drink. Well, that happy moment didn't last long. Archie glanced around to take his mind off of ... unpleasant topics, and settled on Quinn.

"Ah yes, that's a version I'd not heard before. Consorting with fiends? Certainly... imaginative. What I heard was more a straightforwards peasant revolt brought on by taxes or whatnot. Though I suppose they needed more justification after the fact..."

Archie grimaced as more painful memories surfaced. He banished them best he could by finishing his ale with a flourish.

Perhaps this wasn't the best conversation to start. Best be thinking of the future and keep moving forwards. That damnable Hopton was right. Either I can mope on what's happened, or charge forwards. Life, Freedom, and Treasure, indeed. Lots and lots of treasure.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Aaron watches and listens as Asmodia joins the discussion, raises his glass to Hopton's toast and has another round too. Wearing a thoughtful expression he sits for several moments, concentrating and thinking. "Sheriff, I am unfamiliar with this 'Damnable Host' group - are they somehow involved with the Delve?" he asks the man between bites of his meal.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The sheriff smirks a bit, though he does nod his head a bit to the toast. "Fair enough, and I wish you luck in that adventure. Be safe in your search for all those things."

Aaron's question brings a sigh to the Sheriff, though its clear that he is more comfortable speaking of those sort of details than the thoughts of revelry. "The Bestial Host is a monsterous cult that worships Lamashtu and has been a thorn in the side of the area. We aren't sure of the leadership that spawns them, but they have an impressive collection of creatures that stalk the surrounding areas and the dungeons itself. They don't seem to want much more than chaos, but you should be on your guard for them. Whatever has brought them together does a good job of it, you'll see gobbos alongside ogres alongside subhumans. I've even dealt with a troll or two and some giantkin among their ranks. They are a dangerous force."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quinn Nazari

[Prior to the Sherrif's speech]

Quinn puts up the good fight of not letting the halfing's antics get the best of him, even if it was his name being tossed around like a plaything. He enjoyed a good joke and a free spirit as much as the next guy and just hoped that their somewhat unconventional introduction to the town (and more importantly the sheriff) wouldn't leave a bad taste in folks mouths. He imagined that for places like Bridenford could easily tire of the steady stream of caravaning adventurers dreaming of only gold and glory... and as much has he dreamed of those things he didn't want to be pegged into that particular stereotype in a negative light.

Being pointed out by Aaron brings him back into the conversation and he gives the mime of tipping a non-existent hat and an earnest smile; he opts not to cut a word in edgewise as the man continues speaking with the sheriff.