Show
    {table=head]Player|Character
    Dunkoro|Valiaa
    bcool999|Konduren
    MikelaC1|Shiver
    Moonlitdreams|Apollo
    Snowfire|Esulan
    Lightning Fast|Gtzarith[/table]

Private Rooms never looked like much, this one being no exception. That is, after all, part of the point of a Private Room.

Given the directions of one Detective Spots, all six of you have just met up around an iron trapdoor. At the middle-low elevation of Dekatura, not far from the coastline, the trapdoor sticks square out of the ground, opened up to you. Packed earthen stairs descend a good twenty feet into the earth, to a more formal wooden door. A stout, smug, and probably rather rich human (though one couldn't tell affluence from his discreet attire) decides that the time is right, and make a quiet gesture towards the wooden door. He tries not to look intimidated by your exotic and imposing presences, but only partially succeeds. Absent from his expression, though, is curiosity. This man owned the place, the 'interested party' had footed the bill to rent it, and he is doing his job: provide service. Do. Not. Ask. That's the point.

Once everyone makes it inside (the door is fairly large, but still likely requires some maneuvering for Shiver to get through), you all see a group of seven unoccupied chairs, stationed in front of a palm-wood writing desk. Upon that desk is an open case of papers…sort of. The papers had diffused throughout the desk, moved around by the digging and shuffling of Detective Spots’s hands, his powerful and item-augmented mind juggling ideas and clues in a way that only he could. With a free claw, the anthropomorphic leopard scratches a bit of fur under his Headband of Intellect and attached Third Eye, while he moves around papers with his other paw. Smaller bits of paper are attached to each point of each claw, with tiny letters or bits of writing. He growls to himself, and then kicks up his bare feet on the desk. His tail flicks, closing the open case over part of the mess of papers.

“Welcome, welcome. Konduren! Since when have we last met? And Esulan, I love the outfit. But that’s not what we’re here to talk about.” His tail flicks two more times, and he shakes his head. He does an untrusting glare at Apollo--Spots had been hesitant to call a practitioner of Pact Magic, but it had been necessary, and a detective has to do their job. In fact, he’s still a bit hesitant overall. He’s in the same room as an illithid, an eladrin, a giant...a pure congregation of extreme minorities, excepting the one pure human, who basically didn't count because of the shapeshifting anyway.

“This is the biggest case I’ve ever taken…like I had a choice; people are banging down my door asking me to turn their prestidigitation spells back on. Ever noticed how things are starting to get dirty? I think that’s bothering people more than anything else. And I’ve been doing my job, searching for clues, but it’s not exactly easy when all the divinations are off.” He pinches a paper between opposable thumb-claw and finger, and tosses it back onto the desk. It wafts down. “I’ve called you because you all are the best that seem to function well enough under this spell. And it is a spell, I’ve figured out. Gotta pick out the real exotic citizens, at this point. Everyone’s either a diehard mage or not really up to snuff.” A sigh. Detective Spots uncrosses and crosses his feet. “It’s mostly speculation, but I have ideas. Motives, suggestions, getting into the caster’s head, that kind of thing. Because it’s difficult. Then there’s other searching, minutiae, looking at maps and the concentrations of—” At this point, he begins rifling through the papers again with both hands. “It’s weird, and that’s why I need you all. Go on, get to know each other. Where are those notes…”

Though you all have indeed just met up, you haven't much gotten to know one another before that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The End of Arcana - IC

Esulan smiles at the detective's comment to her. It wasn't as if her outfit had changed visually in longer than Spots had been alive, but compliments were rarely negative - except in very particular cases, but that was semantics. She'd picked up a bit of knowledge about the more...exotic of the menagerie that had been called here since their arrival in the city and she was quite intrigued to meet them. It was honestly quite refreshing to not have to worry about a devil or demon or something else of that type showing up as part of the group, what with their reliance on magic being on the whole about as pronounced as most of her own kind.

"Well since I've been introduced already, I might as well go first," she said, smiling wryly. "I'm Esulan, current Champion of the Eladrin Knights." She sketches a short bow. "It is good to meet you all."

In her mind, she felt Kismet observing the area around her through her senses, but she was used to that. The weapon might not like it, but being seemingly unarmed could be useful - at least that's what the tactical side of her brain said.

Spoiler
    Show
    For those who are non chaotic-good, you're probably going to be feeling slightly uncomfortable around Esulan. How you play it is up to you - including ignoring it - but the best way I'd think to describe it would be a sort of itch, like your skin doesn't quite fit right.

This being a result of the area around her being moderately chaotic and good aligned.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

When Apollo enters the indicated private room, the room lights up. Literally. There are no shadows left. A golden glyph depicting a stylized sun glows on his brow, and the same sun hangs from a leather amulet around his neck, wrought from pure gold. The light glints off the shining jewelry he wears at his ears, neck and waist. A mask that covers his eyes and nose is pushed up onto the top of his head as he offers a smile to all the occupants of the room. His hair is spiked, a brilliant red, and his wings are gauzy green and tucked neatly over his back. He is otherwise human in appearance though... more or less.

Apollo beams back at the detective's glare, then turns and sweeps a low bow to the others before stepping back from Esulan to stand a bit off by himself.

"Well then!" he chirps. "Nice'ta meet ya, Esulan. Everyone else. You too, Spots." Another nod. "My name's Apollo, of the Sliversheens - fey family extraordinaire, and all that. I'm sure you've heard of them. Myself? I work the messenger service."

Spoiler
    Show
    My other signs are suppressed for now, as I got good pacts. (in the OOC)
    Last edited by Moonlitdreams; 2013-09-04 at 03:52 PM.
    I Am A: Lawful Neutral Human Cleric (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores: Strength-11, Dexterity-11, Constitution-14, Intelligence-14, Wisdom-10, Charisma-9

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

SLISSHT

With some twisting and turning (and just a bit of swearing), the frost giantess makes her way into the room and looks dubiously at each of the empty chairs.
    not a chance
    maybe if I was half size
    no way
    would that even hold a Halfling?
    is he kidding?
    is that a twig collection?
    not that one either

She chooses to remain standing. Shes gotten used to that in Dekatura.
    When you look at her, Shiver is a frost giantess, and as such, she is almost 15 feet tall, and weighs well over 2000 pounds. She is very beautiful, even by human standards, which makes her almost incomparable by frost giant standards. She has the long blonde hair, blue eyes and white skin that is common to her race, but unlike most frost giant warriors, she disdains armour. She is carrying two giant longswords instead of greataxes more common to the frost giant race, and both of them, for she is a two weapon fighter, seem to have a black, rippling sheen to them, almost as if they were covered in oil. As well as the normal accoutrements of any wandering adventurer, she wears a great deal of jewelry, necklaces, rings, bracers, etc. they seem to be everywhere. A few of these pieces seem to have just a little bit more of a sparkle to them, marking them as magical, but the greatest majority are just mundane, although quite expensive.

She smiles at everyone present. The name is Slissht, but your tongue, it means Shiver. Either one is fine. So, who has the ale?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Without any problem or hesitance at all, Valiaa takes her place. Immediately after, the chair itself {{It's wooden, right?}} turns a little bit "healthier" as if it wasn't chopped down for the best part of 20 years.

After hearing Spot's speech she presents herself:
    I'm pleased to meet you all. I'm Valiaa. My way is the one of balance, balance in thought and in action, balance in ways of attack and ways of defense, balance between nature and magical forces.
    "You mean, more than those who believe stories of demons
    being summoned, and the ultimate war of good and evil,
    and barons who bathe in blood of virgins?"
    "Well, yes. Didn't quite buy that?"
    "I don't believe in virgins."

- Steven Brust, "Jheegala"

This sentence is false.

Thanks to Kymme for awesome avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Konduren allows the others to proceed him when entering the trapdoor. City buildings always made him uncomfortable and basements were somehow worse. He followed them in an upon seeing the chairs he took in a breath so he could sigh. Doesn't Spots know me well enough to remember that the felling of trees merely to serve as a resting place disturbs me? Ah, but perhaps I am unfair, the proprietor was probably told to expect seven so seven chairs there are.

At the detective's familiar greeting Konduren nods in recognition of old ties, but says nothing while he inspects the others around him. Konduren felt the aura of Esulan spark his fey blood and attempt to erode his long obtained discipline, but it was a minor thing at most. Similarly he recognized the far distant kinship with Apollo that exists only between fey, even fey of different types and creed. Konduren frowned slightly at the overabundant material wealth that hung off of Shiver. Like chains that hold her spirit down from enlightenment... His interest spiked as he felt the dead wood in the chair, on which Valiaa sat, come back to life as an old oak would in spring. After a moment spent lost in thought, Konduren realized that he was the only one yet to introduce himself. Years in the wilderness does not prepare one for 'civilization.' Konduren reflected as he faced the group. "I am called Konduren. I am a traveler. I don't spend much time in cities so forgive me if my manners are not to your standards."

His voice was strong like stone, but not harsh or defensive. He was merely stating facts as a solid foundation on which to build upon or leave as others choose.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

One of Esulan's eyebrows quirks upwards, first at the disappearance of shadows in the room, and then rises again further with a slightly resigned air as Apollo moves most of the way to the other side of the room from her. The golden haired woman sighs as if at herself, and then raises a hand to the clasp hanging at her neck. The green gemstone at its heart blazes with emerald light as she places her hand upon it, for a moment sending highlights rippling across the room, then fades as she grips the device tightly. The green and some of the white in the extremely visible aura around her fades, spinning inwards until it forms a shell that covers her body and no more.

"My apologies. I am somewhat unused to being in the company of those who are made uncomfortable by the presence of Arborea and who aren't trying to kill me."

She leans back, letting herself fall into a sitting posture upon the air, and eyes of a piercing blue reflect the light of Apollo's making as they look over the others in the room.

"Manners found in the wilds are sometimes far more honest than those of civilisation, Konduren," she replied with a chuckle. "So. Slissht," she pronounces the name as if the frost giant's tongue was her own, "Apollo, Valiaa, Konduren." She nodded to each member of the company in turn, before turning her gaze to the last member among them. Her instinctual reaction would be to reach for Kismet, but he didn't feel like most of his kind so she would give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

SHIVER

Shiver seems happy at the proper pronounciation of her name. Likely because too many human tongues have a bad habit of adding an extra "i" near the end of it. Mostly the ones who had a few new bruises of some kind.

So you think its a spell? Doesnt that seem counter productive? Why would someone so powerful in the arcane devise a spell that shuts him off from his source of power?

Its perhaps a bit of surprising insight from a race known more for bashing than thinking.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #9

It may be that someone has been wronged by magic some time ago, or decided it is not fair or even unnatural for some to hold so much power while others are left to their pitiful lives. He might have achieved great magical power only in order to destroy magic. He might have also been somehow forced into doing that, I don't know of much forces that could push someone into such a deed, but there definitely are some.
    Last edited by Dunkoro; 2013-09-05 at 12:24 PM.

This sentence is false.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

“Mhmm, mhmm, good to get to know each other. Konduren, don't worry; we're not doing the city impression totally-not-politics-except-it-is thing. No one has anything to prove right now.” He looked up, blinked, and figured out what had been bothering Kondruren—looking at the chairs, then the now-living chair…detective intuition told him what was going on. “Ah, right. I asked about getting some seating and that there would be seven of us, mentioned stone or metal chairs, maybe a bench, but hey! Guess where you get those? The fabricate spell these days! So they give me wooden chairs and when I asked for a large one—” He flicked his tail at the chair that could support maybe half of Shiver, “And then there’s an extra because, I swear, incompetence.” He tapped his own chair. “I figure that everyone’s scrambling to hoard resources at this point and this guy has all the furniture or somesuch.”

Rummage, rummage, rummage through the papers.

“The speculation is nice, but that’s my job. Already taken care of.” Detective Spots finally finds the paper he was looking for, and holds it up with one hand/paw. “Either we’ve got a deific-level force, possibly acting through a proxy—coerced, willing, who knows—or some archmage. And that archmage would have to be thinking way, way ahead in life, definitely not a human or other short-lived race. One would be investing so much of their life into developing the spellcasting powers necessary to do this with no personal gain to show for it afterwards. So that fraction of their life has to be worth whatever goal they’re pursuing here. This, of course, assumes one is being rational, which is not guaranteed in the case of a sorcerer but assumable for for a book-diver.” Spots set the paper down on top of the case. “More likely to be a sorcerer’s doing, then. More demographics. However. I’ve got in my notes that, when the spell was complete, one would have to dispose of the focus. All that magic has to go somewhere; it's elementary spellcraft. I assume that the caster had the foresight to engineer a safehouse for the focus after casting the spell-killing spell--consider a bunch of long-lasting mobility and transportation spells, that sort of thing.” A grin from the detective.

“Where do you store something like that, though? The best place would be where it is highly unlikely to be disturbed, but where it’s surrounded by the most terrible defenses that prevent anyone from getting to it. That means a place that is mostly devoid of creatures, but is dangerous for anyone to go to. Which brings me to the Positive or Negative energy planes. Of course, there are a bunch of ways to defend against the negative energy plane—you can be sure some vampire magi are searching it as we speak—but there are far fewer for the Positive Energy plane. But you don’t want some energon wandering into the focus as it floats around, so you stash it somewhere.”

Spots smoothed out the paper, looking pleased with himself.

“Here’s another way to store something valuable and make sure it’s not disturbed: give it to a very old dragon. It gets buried in the hoard and is never seen again. But a dragon knows about spells…except for a few kinds I found out about in a library. More research.” He scratched the desk. “A place on the positive energy plane, guarded by a dragon that doesn’t do spells.”

Detective Spots flipped over the paper, revealing a circled, curde drawing with a lot of blue and indigo on it.

“It’s called the Bastion of Souls. Sometimes an incarnum dragon camps out there. I’m not saying that our focus absolutely has to be there, but it’s the first place to look.” He flipped the mass of papers on the desk, sending them flying everywhere.

“Maybe.”

Notes fluttered through the air.

“Probably.”

One landed on his face, and he removed it with slight annoyance.

“I don't know.

It’s a hunch.”
    Last edited by Kazyan; 2013-09-05 at 05:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The Eladrin smiled slightly at Shiver's reaction to her correct pronunciation. She couldn't boast a knowledge of the giant's language though, not really. Part of her nature dealt with that. Not exactly a human tongue behind those lips, for all that it might look like one.

"When I got sent here, those who requested my sword couldn't tell me much in the way of specifics. They knew the place, but that's pretty easy in this plane, but they also told me that there is at least one archmage tangled up in this mess. No names, and you've already figured it out, but I thought you'd like to know." Esulan says in way of reply to the detective.

"And it is something to look into at least, which is more than we had when we began."
    Show

<struck dumb>

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGuy

<<If I may interject...>> A strange voice echoes in the minds of all who are in the room. A creak accompanies a tall, odd-looking figure as he she it stands up from its wooden chair. It looks odd to say the least. It wears a fancy-looking officer's uniform with some sort of magical enchantment on it, a pair of metal boots, and the top-half of what looks like a knight's helmet on its head. That's just about where the normalcies stop. For starters, this figure stands at roughly nine feet tall, and though not as large as Shiver, it is every bit as imposing, with four four-foot long tentacles, and two more which span the entire length of his body. Each tentacle has a long, metal attachment which extends them by several feet. <<Perhaps whoever caused this wishes to keep magic for his or her personal gain only? It's doubtful someone would try to create a spell of this magnitude without some way to get around its effects, to be sure.>>

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Detective Spots nods at Esulan. “I’m not entirely sure that the spell was cast in Dekatura proper, but if not, it was nearby. That trail is dead, though. We can’t exactly go scanning around with a ring of detecting magic. I’m sure the aura is still somewhere due to the magnitude of the spell...but no leads. The caster thought ahead.”

He ‘listens’ to Gtzarith. “Two special cases, if that is true.” Spots doesn’t seem bothered or even surprised by telepathy. “One is that the focus is hidden behind myriad spell-based safeguards, like prismatic spheres in a demiplane with all sorts of traps. A doom fortress, basically. If you happen to find one shooting disintegration rays at you, be my guest and take a look, but it one of those could be anywhere in the planes. The second case is similar to how a lich protects their phylactery if they’re powerful enough--they wear it around their neck and engrave the word ‘PHYLACTERY’ on it in gold, because what could anyone possibly do about it? The caster may have the focus with them at all times, and rely on the fact that they have an insurmountable advantage against any thieves, now. But then, we don’t learn much about where they could be, save for ‘not in Dekatura’, otherwise I would have found it already. Not to brag, but really, if it was here, it would be in my paws after two weeks on the case.”

Spots shrugs, and fiddles with his Amulet of Wordtwisting—he had always found it handy for stringing together complex sentence structures like this. “I still suggest checking the Bastion, first, if for no other reason than it being our only half-decent lead.”

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"It certainly sounds like something better than hanging around here doing nothing and simply hoping." Esulan notes, looking around at the rest of the group. "Although I'll admit, a great deal of Lich's often run into the problem of assuming they're powerful enough for that second method. I've disabused a few of that notion on occasion actually, so if that's what we're looking at you might say I've got a bit of related experience.

"Unless anyone has any other ideas, I would think that getting to the Bastion as soon as possible is probably in our best interest. If there're clues there, I'm sure one of us'll find them."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-09-06 at 10:26 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

<<It seems like a decent idea to me,>> Gtzarith "says", <<I'm sorry, I didn't properly introduce myself!>>

The tall ulitharid gets up and takes a bow, presenting himself to the group. <<Pleased to meet you all. I am Gtzarith: paladin and scholar.>>

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

SLISSHT

The bastion sounds like as good a place as any to start
    She looks around for a moment, but clearly does not find what she is looking for, and then looks back to the group.
    By the way, I find it always helps for everyone to know what everyone else can do. I know at our power levels, everyone loves to keep secrets, but Ive always found that makes for more trouble than its worth.
    Of course none of us have any real reason to trust one another...so I'll be the one who goes first. Im a warrior, pure and simple. Unlike most giants, I don't use a great axe, I use two long swords, and I use them simultaneously. I do have a few meager bard talents, but they aren't anything special
    #GoreMutualarejerks

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

"I have little care for secrets, just about everything about me is already known by those with any real interest in planar politics." Esulan chuckles. "But in case people don't know," she stretches out one hand, fingers twisting as if around an invisible hilt. Light fountains into being in her grasp, growing from a mass within the Eladrin's cupped palm into something approximating a longsword before fading to reveal the material that had appeared behind the light.

The haft and hilt form first, and they're clearly ornate. Gold and blue, the latter forming something very close to gemstone filigree in an ancient variant of Celestial. From that hilt extends a well-crafted but rather plain blade of white steel, and as the light fades from it those around Esulan pick out more sapphire script worked into the flat of the weapon. It's rather hard to read however, the telltale shimmer of immensely powerful magical enhancements upon the weapon are extensive.

"This is Kismet," Esulan said, then as if to the blade. "Say hello dear."

Greetings to you. A voice spoke into the minds of all present. It was strong that voice, as rich and full as Gtzarith's.

"I fight with her, both close and from afar. I will admit freely that I am more skilled at close range, but I can supply quite effective suppression when needed." She pauses, head tilting slightly as if she's counting off things on mental fingers. "As a Knight, I possess an innate skill in the Sublime Way. I am not a master, but I am adept. I also have access to my own small form of magic, one unaffected by the spell set upon us, that I have honed to enhance my prowess and lethality upon the battlefield. A few of the Illuminations to which I have access are capable of aiding allies who fight with me, but for the most part I have fought alone since taking up the mantle of Champion.

"I am also somewhat incredibly hard to kill. That's been useful a time or two." She chuckles again, then adds, "Aaand I'm also a quasi-deity, but I can't imagine that any of you didn't know that."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-09-06 at 01:38 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

18. - Top - End - #18

RogueGuy

Knowledge (The Planes about Esulan): (1d20+35)[54]

Gtzarith scratched his "chin" with one of his shorter tentacles, then raised it in a eureka position the same way a human might a finger. <<I thought I recognized you from somewhere, Esulan. I am a paladin, plain and simple: one who is trained in the ancient illithid art of body-taming, has extensive knowledge of the various creatures of this world and beyond, and martial arts. Body-taming is a martial art which combines the use of man-made weapons, or in my case, kicks and punches, with powerful tentacle attacks. With these special attachments,>> Gtzarith made it a point to show off the strange, exotic weaponry which extended off her facial appendages, <<I've an effective range of about fifteen feet in any direction. Thankfully, my paladin healing abilities haven't been hampered by the change, so I'll be able to cure any of your injuries if you are not capable of doing so yourself.>>

Gtzarith paused, their tentacles absentmindedly intertwining and wriggling as he . <<I nearly forgot: I've also got these.>> A pair of massive, angelic wings burst out from behind Gtzarith's mundane, slightly worn cape. They were very large in span, and she had to partially retract them so as to avoid knocking anyone in the side of the head. <<Paladinhood's been good to me. I used to travel to various planes now and then with my psionic powers, but I'm afraid it's not possible anymore. It'll be nice if I get those back, even if the art of body-taming discourages their use.>>

Gtzarith paused. Their "voice" became considerably more grim and solemn in tone. <<Lastly... if we do come across a foe with a brain, and I am able to grapple said foe... well, I would suggest turning away of you are squeamish. It's not something I particularly enjoy doing in good company, but it's a very convenient and easy way to end a fight.>>

To Kismet
    Spoiler
    Show
    <<I hope I am not interrupting your thoughts, but it is fortunate to hear someone else who speaks the tongue of the mind.>>
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2013-09-06 at 06:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Konduren attempts to recall any lore he gathered during his travels about Incarnum dragons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge(Arcana): (1d20+34)[38]

While thinking, he hears the others describe their abilities. He decides he might as well let his companions know what he can bring to the table. "As you might be able to tell from looking at me, I am a user of Incarnum." Indeed it can be plainly seen that an outline of a Grey Render shadows Konduren's form not to mention the pelt of a Worg that melds with his legs or the glamor of a Displacer beast that makes light shy away from Konduren enough to make it slightly difficult to tell where exactly he stands. "I draw on the spirits of the wild to fuel my soulmelds which enhance and protect me. However, I am also a monk of the Elemental Way. My Discipline is such that I have no need for weapons other than my hands and feet, and the power of my Ki allows me to preform abilities that some would call magical." Konduren glances at Shiver before continuing. "I have also sworn an oath forsaking almost all material possessions save my simple clothes and a sling that I fashioned from a spare strap of leather. This has given me a purity of spirit which grants me strength." To illustrate this last point, Konduren lifts his legs from where he stood and crosses them as though he were meditating, yet he does not fall but merely hangs there in the air.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

"Due to the nature of Incarnum Dragons, you will likely need to be the most careful of all of us if we are forced into conflict with one," Esulan remarked after a few moments of thought. "Essentia drain will hurt you far more than it will hurt the rest of us if it takes." She restrains the urge to smile at the look Konduren shoots Slissht. Celestial Champion whose arms and garb were probably worth more than your average plane of existence to a collecter, people didn't bat an eyelid. A few overstated jewels? Oh no, they must be restraining their ability to reach enlightenment. Quite beside that point that purity of spirit must be one of the most boring things in existence to try to attain whilst you were still alive. Save that for the afterlife.

Gtzarith
    Spoiler
    Show
    :Polite young thing, aren't you,: Kismet's voice replies. :And no doubt it will be of some use, although with Esulan's record probably less than I'd like. I swear, it's the same with every Champion in their first millennia...: The weapon's tone is acerbic, but more alike to that of an exasperated mother than anything else.

:Yes, yes, I know. I'm a young, rash, impetuous child who you don't even know why you chose,: Esulan adds onto the end of Kismet's words.

:You say that as if it's a good thing,: the blade replies wryly.

:Isn't it?:
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-09-07 at 10:20 AM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

<<Yes, and let's not forget their meld-shaping abilities.>> Gtzarith added, <<I believe they can also consume energy from soulmelds by biting those who use them.>>

Kismet and Esulan
    Spoiler
    Show
    <<I'm sure both of you must have immense wisdom with such a long lifetime of experiences. I must say, I am jealous that I will not have the time to see the sights that you will. I have not even reached my hundredth year, though, so I would imagine I've got another two hundred ahead of me. Or perhaps more. Like I said, paladinhood has been good to me.>>
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2013-09-07 at 11:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

My skills? They're far too complex to describe in few simple words, but be sure I'm a quite capable combatant, while also retaining the ability to use some mystical abilities, that would normally be called "magic", like conjuring a transparent ball of AEther to fly us with, constraining opponents or dealing a great deal of damage to them. I can also transform into various entities, depending on a situation.

This sentence is false.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Only if they're old enough of course," Esulan tacks the statement onto the end of Gtzarith's addition. "Then again, one expected to be able to hold an artifact of such power from those who would be sent after it probably will be that old. At least."

Gtzarith
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a pause, a very quiet one, starting after Gtzarith mentions immense wisdom. It's not aggressive or oppressive though, more incredulous. It holds for all of five seconds after the Paladin stops speaking, then is broken by giggles from Esulan.

:I think you broke her,: she stage whispers, and Gtzarith catches then edge of what feels like a mental tap on shoulder directed at Kismet. :Quite honestly, I'm not really all that wise. I know things, a lot of things, but most of my knowledge is stories and legend. And most of it isn't even mine.: She pauses. :Kismet, you alright?:

:Quite. All things...considering that is,: the sword's voice is somewhat choked, as if holding back hysterical laughter. :Esulan does however, for once, speak truly of herself. Most of the knowledge she has access to is a result of our bonding, and from that access to my own memories. I can't remember all of it all the time, even an intelligence of my nature has limits, but I've seen a lot.:

The weapon's tone turns almost melancholy.

:Much of my past is unknown to even the most avid or elderly scholar. And whilst my Chosen learn much of it, I often feel that the world one day should too, that the sages among our order should share the records they have kept for so long,: she seems to shrug telepathically. :But tales for other times. If you are as much as you seem, Gtzarith, I doubt that your journey will end at your death. The Upper Planes have much need and use for those of your power. Paladinhood, I suspect, will lead to even greater things in time.:
    Show

<struck dumb>

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"True it would probably go after me first in which case I shall be a distraction while the rest of you focus on your attacks. Hopefully, this dragon is unaware of the object it guards or has been lied to about it's purpose. If that is so we may be able to reason with it and avoid violence." Konduren turns to Spots. "Do you know how we are to get to this Bastion? If it is indeed on the positive energy plane I know of an island chain that has an unusually strong connection to that plane. The fruits that grew there were quite delicious as I recall."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ahem, yes, about getting to the Bastion, I, er, don’t, actually know how to get there. It's the Positive Energy Plane, after all." Detective Spots gets up and starts collecting his notes again, which had been blown about even more by a brief gust of wind from Gtzarith's suprise wings. "I was hoping you six could figure something out. If you insist, you can sit around and twiddle your claws while I do even more research." He scrawls down some of the information you revealed about incarnum dragons, on one of the less-covered peices of paper. "Konduren has an idea, that island chain. Anyone else know anything that might be a clue? Don't worry about saying anything stupid; just about everything that might be relevant can be a clue. I should know."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"Fish!" Esulan says, as if it's obvious. She then deliberately waits a few seconds before continuing. "It's the reason this city can still feed itself. You have incredibly large and healthy fish for this plane, and it's thought that if you follow the current they source from you'd find the positive energy plane on the other side," she shrugs. "Planar breach maybe. They happen."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2013-09-07 at 03:02 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

SHIVER

Fish? Bah. Give me a good steak any time. And a tall cold ale. That's a real meal
    Coming from a frozen land, its obvious why Shiver doesn't care for fish, the only water shes seen is frozen over.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

<<I don't care much for fish. Or steak. Or ale, for that matter. You know, you'd think levels of positive energy that high would immolate all the fish.>> Gtzarith commented.
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2013-09-07 at 04:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"Only if they went into it." Esulan says. If it's just leakage, and most don't go through - or can't - then it would explain it."

She looks over at Shiver and smiles slightly.

"You know, once this is all over, I'm taking you to a place on Arborea. And there you will try fish. And you will eat your words - after consuming the fish."
    Show

<struck dumb>

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Oh, was he too obvious? Oh well. He would have lived, but now it is gone anyway. Apollo shrugs in response to the apology.

"I have also trained among the monks of the Elemental Way." He nods to Konduren, though it is true that their training was of very different natures. He claps his hands and smiles around the group. "My skills are complex, but to put it simply, I fight with my fists and the mobility provided me by my body, aided, of course, by the many ancient entities whom I am able to contact for power."

He crosses his arms and starts to glow, unsuppressing his signs. His jaw grows in size, bulging as two long, sharply pointed tusks grow upward from it even as he still smiles. One side of his mouth becomes wider than the other, remaining slightly open. His movements stiffen, bags appearing under his eyes, which have glassed over into circular mirrors. He is surrounded by thin wisps of light blue fog, and the glyph on his brow glows all the brighter.

Then he shrugs. "Or I can hang back and harry the opponents. My powers are fairly flexible."

He tilts his head, listening to the conversation. "Why can't we like fish and steak? In any case though, I agree: it's worth checking into."
    I Am A: Lawful Neutral Human Cleric (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores: Strength-11, Dexterity-11, Constitution-14, Intelligence-14, Wisdom-10, Charisma-9