New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread III: As the Erf Turns

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Partly. I don't remember reading anything defining The Space as a 'bar' (I read it as just a conference room or something)
    No, no. That would be the KEY BOARDroom.

You just can't escape the puns.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-02-24 at 04:33 PM.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    No, no. That would be the KEY BOARDroom.

You just can't escape the puns.
    I see what you did there.

3. - Top - End - #423

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Well, I'd a made a grave comment about the line they were feeding us, but most of you wouldn't get it (I'm old school - class of 33 ASR). This this shift in focus is getting out of control though, so let's just return to the story, kay?
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Any word of when Chapter 3 will begin? These text passages are nice but I was mainly in it for the comic (sorry if this is heresy).
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

Rob declared some time ago that yet another Kickstarter (#3? I've lost count) would be required before Chapter 3 would begin production.

6. - Top - End - #426

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    By the way, is it just me, or are the jokes particularly insidious in this side story. I found it frankly embarrassing how long it took me to get Hunt & Peck and Prince Creen.
    Oh.

Oh, man.

I missed that one.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Rob declared some time ago that yet another Kickstarter (#3? I've lost count) would be required before Chapter 3 would begin production.
    He's pushing his luck a bit isn't he? I that's what thought the Erfabet incentive one was for, but I'll admit to not really paying attention.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    He's pushing his luck a bit isn't he? I that's what thought the Erfabet incentive one was for, but I'll admit to not really paying attention.
    No, the Erfabet kickstarted was just to pay David to learn how to draw Erfworld.

Is that it? $9600 seems steep for a 36-page picture book.

Well, in addition to the book, if this project is funded then David will also illustrate the epilogues to Erfworld Book 2 "Love is a Battlefield." Each of those pages will have 2 color panels and about 250 words of text. Those will update at least 4 times a week, starting at the end of Book 2, and will run for about 25 pages. We may include a stretch goal to make audio/video treatments of those pages as well.
    If this project succeeds, then there will be a second Kickstarter this year to fund Book 3 in much the same way.
    The extra money was to fly David to Gencon to meet fans or whatever, and to pay for a new website. In fact they reiterated right before the Kickstarter closed that they are planning on holding off on the Book 3 Kickstarter for a while to take care of everything else (all the text updates and epilogue stuff I guess).

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Simon View Post
    I've seen worse. There was a fan on reddit who complained about the latest release by Terry Goodkind, having spent several hundred dollars on a swanky leather special edition, and he and 200 or so other fans hadn't gotten an update on them for four months, after being well over a year late. The real point though was that this was by no means a deal breaker for the fan, who simply wanted his merchandise and had no intention of dropping Goodkinddespite his poor conduct. Considering the four fans who spent I'm not sure what quantity of money for a several psge short story, Rob might have lost some fans, but the core base is still willing to fund this despite the continued issues.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

New update.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm. Some answers, but also new questions. Still unsure where this is all going.

I'm guessing though that mere superstition is not the actual reason why King Posbrake doesn't want Delkey to know that they hired a Predictamancer. More like, he doesn't want Delkey to know that Homekey knows... whatever, but most likely that the imminent attack is coming from Delkey.

This said, interesting that after we kept discussing how Predictamancers are in this weird position where oftentimes, they aren't all that useful, and only make for a really grim story for everyone to whom they Predict - now we learn that Erfworld dwellers actually see it the same way.

I hope this story will give us a little more information on Predictamancy and its intricacies.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #431
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    New update.
    Spoiler: new update discussion
    Show
    Fact is, given the inevitability of unending warfare in Erfworld (Parson's intervention aside), Predictamancy can only predict horrible, depressing downfalls of even the mightiest empires in the long run. Since short-term details are explicitly vague and murky and long-term details are gloomy at best, I'm not surprised by the perception of predictomancers as described.

Enough people repeat the perception and it becomes a belief. Enough people worry about the belief and it becomes a superstition.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly I kind of enjoy the text updates more than the comics, if only because they update so regularly and with so much more story.

There are a lot of interesting details about food and clothing that make Erfworld seem a bit less gamelike and a bit more earthlike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey! We actually see predictamancy giving a useful and actionable item here. Not only did they save Digdoug, but I strongly suspect that the loophole of having a golem isn't a loophole, it's the purpose of predictamancy. Given a negative prediction you don't try to fight it, you try to make it come true in the stupidest most technical way possible. The next time Posbrake is told all living units will be killed in a city, he'll probably hire a croakamancer to make a bunch of zombies.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-02-26 at 01:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Peck did say the One Golem "may even have been intentionally hidden" so maybe Lady Chains got some silent news as well. Posbrake might not have the only one to try to make the best of a bad situation.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2014-02-26 at 03:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The extra money was to fly David to Gencon to meet fans or whatever, and to pay for a new website. In fact they reiterated right before the Kickstarter closed that they are planning on holding off on the Book 3 Kickstarter for a while to take care of everything else (all the text updates and epilogue stuff I guess).
    Do you think Rob will need to start another kickstarter to give Arthur Chu a pay-rise?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2014-02-27 at 09:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Do you think Will Rob need to start another kickstarter to give Arthur Chu a pay-rise?
    No, it'll be to hire and train a new voice actor, since Chu won't need the job anymore.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

This has been bugging me:

How exactly did King Posbrake contact this predictamancer? He has only one unit that can enter magic kindgom, and that unit wasn't the one that contacted the predictamancer.

Unless the predictomancer predicted that his services would be needed, and then came through the portal to make the deal?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post

How exactly did King Posbrake contact this predictamancer? He has only one unit that can enter magic kindgom, and that unit wasn't the one that contacted the predictamancer.

Unless the predictomancer predicted that his services would be needed, and then came through the portal to make the deal?
    Eh, I doubt it. I imagine he could've just written a letter and thrown/dropped it through the portal, I don't think the portal can croak things that weren't alive to begin with.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

He has only one unit that can enter magic kindgom, and that unit wasn't the one that contacted the predictamancer.
    I doubt entering the MK is required since that would mean that unless a caster came to you, you wouldn't be able to hire one at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Rulers of a side have access to powerful thinkamancy. Think of how Charlie is able to be reached by any side's warlords who think long and hard enough about him.

I suspect that kings/rulers/overlords have the ability to reach out and negotiate contracts with the Magic Kingdom on a contractual basis. Otherwise the only employment MK casters would get would be through popped casters or cold-calling sides, neither of which is a steady-enough flow of schmuckers.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

20. - Top - End - #440

They do have a sending hat, apparently, so maybe he sent a letter to the MK employment office.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Rulers of a side have access to powerful thinkamancy. Think of how Charlie is able to be reached by any side's warlords who think long and hard enough about him.

I suspect that kings/rulers/overlords have the ability to reach out and negotiate contracts with the Magic Kingdom on a contractual basis. Otherwise the only employment MK casters would get would be through popped casters or cold-calling sides, neither of which is a steady-enough flow of schmuckers.
    This is what I think. Perhaps the MK keeps a few thinkamancers on duty to facilitate these deals. Ruler contacts thinkamancer "operator" who connects him with the appropriate caster?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe he used Charley's thinkamancy service. In one of the summer updates it's mentioned anyone can contact him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    No, it'll be to hire and train a new voice actor, since Chu won't need the job anymore.
    I think he's won ~180k. That is an impressive chunk of change, but not nearly so much that I'd imagine him retiring.

The question is if he'll want the job, and at what price. Price tag notwithstanding, doing voiceovers for Erfworld seems like a good job to keep, even if you're wealthy -- it's a minimal time investment, you don't have to commute, and he probably enjoys it.

All speculation, of course. Maybe he'll be too busy enjoying his celebrity status as long as it lasts.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-02-27 at 03:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Halfling in the Playground

New text update.

Spoiler
    Show
    That bit about the ashen skin signamancy is interesting. I wonder what other "otherworldly" traits signamancy can give you?
    Long-time lurker, new member

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That Signamancy seems familiar somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    That Signamancy seems familiar somehow...

That is not a good sign.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    That is not a good sign.
    Spoiler: I know right?
    Show
    I knew Carnymancer, ashen skin, bushy hair, top hat with cards sticking out sounded familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Calling it now
    Show
    The carny's gonna offer to screw at some point and he's gonna say yes because Alice.

And then the carny will screw them OVER
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-03-03 at 05:17 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This will end well.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

for who?

text
    Spoiler
    Show