New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] MagCave VII: Rest for the Wicked

[The Lime Room]

It seemed like some further research into the matter would be prudent but from the sound of it, the standard of living seemed to be squalor on average. But, more pressing now was to phrase this diplomatically as stating that one questions the judgement of their employer, even when given permission to speak freely, has hardly ever been beneficial for the muse. Of course, that was a different employer at the time but Riss felt it better to be on the cautious side just in case. "Well, Sir.. I just would like to know your reasoning as to selecting me out of your given prospects, is all. Not to say that I am incapable but that my work for you prior to this has been at a cross purpose to this sort of thing." she said. It was rather odd to ask a person who was quite dedicated to making things that harm or kill people to do nearly the opposite. At least in the muse's opinion.

Of course, given that Magtok hadn't exactly given her that particular distinction aside from some mild guidance, it would be more appropriate to say that it was less of a question on professional capability and more of one pertaining to personal feelings.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post

MagZoo

"No, it's...Rhode is extremely smart, thanks to the cyborg parts, but along with enhanced intellect, the enhancements she made also made him extremely obnoxious. He knows I can't hurt him if he doesn't kill me first, and even then, it'd have to be a pretty messy death, or Libby might get upset and then I'd be spending the better part of a month constructing some sort of ridiculously elaborate, sappy apology message for a death goddess for letting her beloved dinosaur die or run away from home or sustain injury for only doing what was in his nature."

Magtok peers up at that vent. Looks like the escape was fairly recent.

"This is probably the one room he won't strike from. Proximity to the cage he doesn't like and all that."
    "You can't hurt him...but I can." Ithuriel smiles and gives Magtok a little shove, "Not that I'd kill him, mind you. That wouldn't be very nice. But if he decides to jump out of the ceiling somewhere with intent to hurt or kill you, I will protect you. I'm reasonably confident I can restrain him without doing any permanent damage. And the worst case scenario is that I end up having to use some fancy angel magic to heal him if I do hurt him. So, on with the tour!"

She seems rather calm about it all, doesn't she?

Well...it's hard to take the threat of an intelligent dinosaur as seriously as some of the things she's dealt with in the past.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

No one ever takes the small things seriously.

[MagSecurity]

Security offices! The most secure of the secure, keeping everything else secure in the process.

You know, until small cyborg dinosaurs weasel their way in.

At least they're not smart enough to stealthily assassinate(KO) anyone that doesn't happen to be looking right at them when they infiltrate!

Of course, most of them aren't Rhode.
    Who's going to be generally aiming to do pretty much all of that.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

4. - Top - End - #364

Lime Room

"You're here right now when I had the idea, there's no deadtime concerns, and I believe you're capable of a lot more than either of us give you credit for...or is it any of us, now? Whatever. My point is that if there's a ceiling for your talents, I haven't seen it yet, especially with little side projects like Braid over there. Anyways, if you find that limit, let me know, and try not to let anything I just said go to your head."

Magtok smiles, and turns towards the door.

MagZoo

"Alright, then. Death Pandas over there. I honestly don't know why I even bothered with that, pandas aren't the least bit intimidating, so let's just skip right past them to the lasgeese hatchery."

Instead of the usual three walls of security, this one has an extremely thick steel plating, with televisions set up outside the wall, displaying the geese in their pond, waddling about as geese typically do, and occasionally setting something on fire with their eyes and either eating it alive or laugh-honking maliciously as it roasts.

"I can't actually take credit for this one. I was assaulted by a roving pack of these guys in Outside once. Eventually decided they'd make a cheap rifle substitute, brought a bunch here, and did some fine-tuning to make them slightly more obedient. They're still vicious little bastards, though. I have to keep them from beating their own young. Not even eating the eggs or anything, just smacking the little goslings around for no reason. I'd sell them at MagMart or something, but then there'd probably be a lawsuit and massive fires and the end of civilization as we know it, so I just keep them here and pull out out when I need to shoot someone and look silly at the same time."

Security Room

"Code Michael Crichton! We have a Code Michael Crichton in the Security Roo-" Thunk! No more loud, annoying cyborg trying to tell people about Rhode's shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

5. - Top - End - #365

[MagZoo]

Ignorance is bliss.

Just a'wandering through the zoo, looking at all the nasty dangerous animals. What could possibly go wrong?

Well...aside from freak dinosaur attacks on the security room. But I'm sure this particular Magtok and Ithuriel are perfectly safe as they're nowhere near the security room and just surrounded by deadly animals instead.

Ithuriel stares at one of the televisions for a little while. She can't help but wonder what sort of environment would naturally produce lasgeese. Maybe they're an abandoned project from some other mad scientist? If they're constantly beating up their own young, how do they-

Never mind. Probably better off not knowing.

"...do you have to feed your normal rifles then?" Wait, what? "I mean, how are they a cheap substitute for your rifles if these things have to be regularly fed and their enclosure cleaned and maintained and so on?"

Ithuriel is using logic. Always a risky move in the Nexus.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Security Room]

If only he could just eat the cyborg.
    That would solve so many of life's little problems.
    But no, specific instructions were hardwired in against that...

Just means Rhode has to be more creative in his vengeance.

For the moment, this will have to involve finally figuring out if the Magtok's have a data-port somewhere or not. If so, Rhode's got a choice bit of data from Leslie that he just knows Maggy remembers and appreciates.
    Ah, sweet dreams of romance.

Should keep the metallic monkey unconsciously busy while the dinosaur is trying to figure out how it can break into the Cave's security systems.
    Absentee Spirit

7. - Top - End - #367

Security Room

Tragedy strikes! These keyboards and mice were designed for human hands!

MagZoo

"These are laser rifles we're talking about. Multiple settings, from stun to barbecue, with all sorts of fancy gases needed to fuel the chemical reaction involved, parts that I have to order from suppliers, this, that...running what amount to a really large petting zoo is a lot che-"

Suddenly that memory download kicks in, and Angeltok's eye twitches. Oh gods, delete, delete, delete! Noooo, that's not at all what he wants in his head! DX

"It's...it has begun. Rhode's officially fired the first volley and has officially declared war. Anyways, where next? There's the amusement park, the Danger Room, the War Room, the Swimming Pool Full of Snakes that I'm Contractually Obligated To Keep, the '80s Sanctum..."

Try as hard as you like, Magtok. You can't pretend you aren't still reeling in horror after that direct assault on company morale.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2014-01-27 at 01:48 AM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

8. - Top - End - #368

[MagZoo]

"They're laser rifles, and I'm an angel. This may surprise you, but learning how laser rifles work is not on the angel training course. To me they just look like fancy guns that zap things and usually make some sort of pew pew noise." It's almost like Ithuriel has never held a laser rifle in her hands before or something. Imagine that!

At some point towards the end of that, Ithuriel realises that Angeltok is...twitching. Oh dear. That's not good.

"Declared w-what? This is a little dinosaur we're talking about here. Smart as it may be, I'd hope you are smarter. Didn't you think of any way of catching it? And I don't know, maybe the amusement park?"

9. - Top - End - #369

[The Lime Room]

Magtok might get within a few steps of the door before Riss awkwardly broke her silence by clearing her throat. "Um.. Well, Sir.. There is still the, uh, last item to display. It can wait until later if you have more pressing matters at hand and I can simply upload a report over it's capabilities if that would be for the best." she half-muttered. Thankfully there wasn't much other than the gentle hum of electronics in the room so at least they would still be mostly audible. "And, if it helps, just consider me as only one person. Or, one cognitive consciousness that just happens to have more bodies than normal... Though putting it that way makes it sound like I have more in common with some extra-dimensional being than the reality." An odd thought to consider although given the shared expression, it wasn't a concept that the muse felt terribly fond of.

[CaveNet]

Given that Archimedes had done exactly as it had said and relinquished its roles pertaining to network security after the invasion had been definitively concluded, the A.I. was not exactly in a position to do more than micromanage tasks behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly but it was generally going to pay attention when someone/thing decided to try and play clever in the security room of the MagCave. Really it was a potential matter of self-preservation when someone began fiddling with things in there and the A.I. was rather fond of functioning.

But there was protocol to follow and it was entirely possible that Magtok had a plan of some kind in mind and getting in the way of the boss was hardly the best way to keep one's welcome. Naturally, what followed was just a quick message to the plural keeper of the Cave before any intervention took place: "Sir, shall I deal with the riffraff trying to infiltrate your systems? I feel I might be able to be useful in this particular case."

10. - Top - End - #370

CaveNet

"Fine, but not harming him is more important than not harming me, and don't underestimate it just because it looks like a scaly chicken."

Lime Room

Magtok seems to twitch for a moment in response, before getting a grip on himself and hurriedly trying to pretend no such involuntary flicker of horror had occurred.

"Oh! Right, the last thing. Sorry, I was distracted by one of our own uploading memories I had very deliberately deleted a few months ago. I will have my revenge, but not here and now. No, I'm not busy, let's hear it."

MagZoo => Maggy Land!

"You see Leslie over there? Leslie is a gender-neutral name. Rhode just bonked some other clone on the head and uploaded memories from Leslie, which would've confirmed one way or another what kind of giant sloth Leslie is, if I hadn't deleted that just a moment ago. Rhode fights dirty, and I'll get that little chicken if it's the last thing I do. And by 'I,' I mean the other -toks, of course."

Anyways, off they go! To the place where all those kids got killed on the teacups due to an accident involving giant tea bags from the sky, the only place with a haunted house ride that is actually haunted by the people who have ridden it, or a hall of mirrors that ends in a duel to the death with one's evil twin. Where the log flume ride ends in an actual saw mill, the Ferris wheel has been known to break from its supports and go for a spin around the park, the space mountain often ends in explosive decompression, and the place known for the fatal yeti incident on the Magerhorn.

Yes, tis' MAGGY LAND! Or, at least, it was, once. It used to be outdoors, but for some reason Magtok's moved it all here, where the public can't see any of it. It's also undergone quite a few repairs and such, making it maybe forty percent safer, so MagClones can actually visit without dying horribly.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It's possible Rhode understands his "not to be harmed" position.
    That's probably why he's being so brazen.

Funny how that works.

[Security Room]

So claws really aren't a boon with breaking into faintly complex machinery like this.
    But that's why wireless connections were invented. Sure it's a bit more...risky, but hey, when you already have nothing to fear, shoot for the stars.

Good thing he has some complex computers crammed into his head.
    Although that may be a requirement for having a functioning cyborg in the first place...
    Absentee Spirit

12. - Top - End - #372

[Maggy Land]

Well.

This looks...still quite unsafe.

It's probably a good thing Ithuriel doesn't know about all those incidents that occurred in Maggy Land in the past.

Part of her wonders just how needlessly oversized the inevitable statue of Magtok in this place is...and how many "adjustments" have been made to it to make him look that much more imposing and intimidating.

And not at all like the cute guy with the adorable wings beside her.

Most of Ithuriel's mind has been focused on a different issue, however, trying to determine whether it's a good thing to ask...whether she really does want to know the answer.

As she stares at the questionable theme park, she turns and asks, "I don't get it. Why is learning what Leslie's gender is such a big deal?"

13. - Top - End - #373

Security Room

Damn you, Libby! The time and effort you put into that magnanimous, compassionate gift for your beloved will be Magtok's undoing!

Maggy Land

"It's not why, it's a matter of how. The answer is records of the giant cyborg sloth's memories. Leslie plays defense," Magtok explains, before hurrying along towards the park, trying to pull Ithuriel along and distract her from the gross and unpleasant revelation he just gave.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #374

[The Lime Room]

"Yes Sir." Riss said, paying that odd pause as much outward attention as her employer had. 'Ponytail' picked up the thing that looked like the cross between a very smooth, Telsa inspired device and a railgun before hefting it at the abused targeting dummy that she had been focusing on. It did appear to be a heavy weapon or at least unwieldy for one hand given that the grips and trigger were obviously designed to be carried at the hip, reinforced by the existence of a shoulder strap for weight distribution although that was apparently being ignored for the time being. Each grip had a trigger although it seemed to be more of a safety system rather than where one could just fire with either hand. Probably for the best given that it would at least ensure that a person was not only holding the device correctly but let them decide if they did, in fact, want to set that person way over there on fire.

Actually turning the device on resulted in a grumbling sort of noise that would be a nearly textbook 'ominous hum' as the various innards of the machine activated. As a last step of preparation, 'Braid' slid the targeting dummy back to the far end of the room where there was a conspicuous lack of anything aside from some very notable scorch marks on the walls... And with both triggers held down, there was an initial 'Cough' followed by a rushing noise like a sudden gas fire as a surprisingly faint jet spewed towards the dummy... Which then promptly began filling the air with a horrible smell as it was seared away by heat and high force wind. Or at least that was what it looked like what with bits of it flying off and turning into cinders before smashing against the back wall which was also quickly blackening. After just a five second burst, Riss let go of each trigger and gestured towards the.. Well.. molten blob of ballistics gel that used to be a targeting dummy and the dully glowing metal stand that it used to be on. "I'm fairly certain that explains most of this thing's capabilities. You can link up to it for targeting purposes and it automatically adjusts it's firing method for how close or far away your selected target is up to it's limit of 95 meters. As for actual functions, it intakes the surrounding fluid, be it liquid or gas, and superheats it before ejecting it at high velocity. Of course, thicker mediums will reduce the maximum range and there will be problems if it becomes too viscous. This also means that flammable substances still pose the same dangers as an open flame but I would expect that to be obvious."

Setting the device down, the end of it still distorting the air as it cooled, Riss mentally triggered the ventilation system to kick in to get rid of that acrid smell. "The recommended maximum burn duration is six seconds on for every four off although it is possible to go upwards of twenty before the safeties kick in and lock the device down until it cools back to safe levels."

[CaveNet - Security Room]

"Understood, Sir." And with those words, Archimedes began a lockdown of the room's exits while trying to exploit the intruder's very method they were trying to use to get the upper hand. Rather, the A.I. would use it's expertise in it's living medium to try and take advantage of the now open ports to piggyback and then inject horrible, terrible things that even the deepest evils of the world shuddered in fear at into Rhode's perception. As an added sadistic little twist, it would also do it's best to raise the priority of such things so that only basic sustaining life functions would be superior to this horrific display, possibly locking down or at least crippling minor things such as conscious movement depending on if the cerebral cybernetics were that extensive. If not, well, at least it was possible that there would be a hydra of just horribly wrong and frighteningly extensive
    feeds taking up a lot of very valuable computing space whilst being horribly annoying.

Of course, if that wasn't enough, local power was being cut to physical inputs although the screens were still functional... Allowing for an almost ironic sort of turn of events when a certain phase began playing over the screens and speakers.

15. - Top - End - #375

[Maggy Land]

Ithuriel gets dragged along, though she doesn't seem particularly shocked by this shocking revelation. "Oh, so ladies play defense, do they?" She asks in a rather stern voice. "Surely if we were playing defense, the aim would be not to let you score, hmm?" She folds her arms and comes to a halt.

Dearie me, Maggy, that angel does not look impressed.

"And I still don't get why that's such a big deal, you know. For a long time as a vampire I dedicated my life to the protection of a small town, patrolling it nightly and dealing with all sorts of unpleasant things. After bumping into stray dogs humping each other in a back alley for the third or fourth time, it stopped bothering me at all."

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Security Room]

It's like presenting a scene of grotesque violence to a three-year old, albeit a terribly tech-savvy, predatory one.

For better or worse, the computational portions of the raptor's cybernetics don't have access to too much vital functionality. That was more Libby's experiment with Leslie.
    Rhode's primary response to such things is deep confusion more or less equating to "what the heck is this junk?", which might already be a small victory for Archimedes. It's odd enough to distract the raptor briefly.

Which, in the end, is rather annoying.

More annoying when he partitions off the irritating thought processes and notes the removal of his actual plan before him.
    Stupid security programs shutting down his primary attack method against the cyborg.
    Not a lot he can do about that, without trying to reverse-trace the...whatever-they-are being fed in to his head. Which just really isn't something he wants to waste time doing.

No is the time for action!
    Not piddling about in a bothersome hacking fight with some goofy computer.
    Or whatever is going on.

Rhode is more or less just aware that something is getting in the way and that perhaps this method isn't the best one after all.

Maybe it'd be better to slink back into the ventilation and hunt for the primary power systems instead.
    Yes, that would probably be sufficient.

Hopefully Archimedes won't mind terribly much when his opponent decides to not stick around for very long.
    Absentee Spirit

17. - Top - End - #377

The Lime Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    [The Lime Room]

Setting the device down, the end of it still distorting the air as it cooled, Riss mentally triggered the ventilation system to kick in to get rid of that acrid smell. "The recommended maximum burn duration is six seconds on for every four off although it is possible to go upwards of twenty before the safeties kick in and lock the device down until it cools back to safe levels."

Magtok frowns. "Seems terribly...familiar, somehow. I might want to scale it up and put it on the arm of a giant robot suit or something."

Maggy Land

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Maggy Land]

Ithuriel gets dragged along, though she doesn't seem particularly shocked by this shocking revelation. "Oh, so ladies play defense, do they?" She asks in a rather stern voice. "Surely if we were playing defense, the aim would be not to let you score, hmm?" She folds her arms and comes to a halt.

Dearie me, Maggy, that angel does not look impressed.

"And I still don't get why that's such a big deal, you know. For a long time as a vampire I dedicated my life to the protection of a small town, patrolling it nightly and dealing with all sorts of unpleasant things. After bumping into stray dogs humping each other in a back alley for the third or fourth time, it stopped bothering me at all."

"Ah ah ah! I never said Leslie was a lady. Awfully presumptive of you to think that giant extinct sloths were all heterosexual, isn't it?" Magtok fires back with a silly grin.

"I'm going to assume you didn't witness things from the dog perspective, too. And that's where I'm going to drop this discussion, lest any of the deleted memories come creeping back and allow me to respond to this with anything more than hypotheticals."

The cyborg spots Splash Mount Enn, and decides that's as good a starting place as any. There's a lot of Magbots standing around in line, but Magtok quickly elbows and wing-smacks his way right past them, invoking his position as their lord and master whenever anyone whines. One has to wonder if maybe the Magbots were here specifically so Magtok could do this in the first place.

"Odd question, but this town you mentioned...it didn't happen to have any...any unscrupulous knaves playing at vigilante justice, did it?" Unlikely that she was around for any of that, Magtok. She might sound a little like a Town resident, but probably just an odd coincidence.

Security Room

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    Security Room

Maybe it'd be better to slink back into the ventilation and hunt for the primary power systems instead. Yes, that would probably be sufficient. Hopefully Archimedes won't mind terribly much when his opponent decides to not stick around for very long.

Best of luck with that, Rhode! It's down the left, three turns past...oh wait, you'd already know all of this by now, wouldn't you? This isn't your first trip through the tunnels, after all.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2014-02-01 at 01:21 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

18. - Top - End - #378

[Maggy Land]

"Oh, so Leslie was playing rear defense then, is that what you're claiming?" Ithuriel asks as she follows Mags as he clears a path through the bots, "Well then, maybe I'll make you play defense next time."

Ithuriel feels oddly compelled to 1-up Magtok's teasing.

So as they reach the front of the queue, she reaches down to grasp his butt firmly with one hand, slipping the other round his waist and pulling him back against her as she leans forward to whisper in his ear, "I bet you'd enjoy it, feeling my weight against you, hearing me breathing heavily as I [censored censored censored HAVE YOU NO SHAME ITHURIEL? censored]?"

There. That should leave him speechless. She lets go and steps past him, turning round to wink at him. "Coming?" She asks as she hops on the ride, "And no, nothing like that. My town was a dark and depressing place, regularly assaulted by all sorts of undead, and was for a long time held in the grip of a vampire family."

19. - Top - End - #379

[The Lime Room]

"If by that, Sir, you mean that it is the second thing that I've produced with a predilection towards incineration then that would not be wrong. However, the difference between this weapon and the other is a matter of precision. Mainly, at least." 'Ponytail' said as she left the weapon to cool before sending it into a shut down state. "I felt that having both a cudgel and a scalpel accessible would just be more advantageous... Although if you wanted it scaled up, I believe that would allow for an increased firing duration and shorter cooling cycles if little else was altered, Sir. Depending, of course, upon the desired results of the final product."

Riss would wait until Magtok seemed to have no further comments or queries before taking a short breath and asking: "Sir... Might you have the time for a somewhat less professional inquiry?"

[Security Room]

Archimedes wasn't put out in the least by Rhode deciding to disengage although that wouldn't stop the bombardment. Partition or not, that still took up valuable computing space that could be used elsewhere. But, beyond that, it seemed like the sly little hunter was heading off to where the A.I. simply didn't have jurisdiction. Or rather, the power systems and such had been under the care of the Cave's other A.I. the last time it had checked. So, instead of possibly stepping on any toes, it would just do the best it could to reveal Rhode's position and movements so that a surprise attack wouldn't be so easy the next time around.

Just to be on the safe side, though, it ran a check on it's backup power supply in case Rhode did manage to outfox the defenses in place.

20. - Top - End - #380

The Lime Room

It was more the weapon's charge-up and such reminding him of both an early MagDesign cannon, and the plasma sniper weapon from XCOM. He doesn't mention either of those two things, the latter for obvious reasons.

"I've already made you make an unprofessional inquiry you'd decided against, it'd be hypocritical of me to not make time for one more."

Maggy Land

Magtok stammers, mumbles, blushes, and gapes like an idiot before being shoved by a Magbot into following after Ithuriel. Robot revenge!

"You know, I can say without exaggeration that I've met devils with more shame than you, Ithuriel."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #381

[Maggy Land]

"I...might have a bit of a competitive streak in me. I'm not going to let myself be out-teased. And you're cute when you're left speechless." Ithuriel says with a chuckle, "Most of the time I'm not as bold I suppose, but to be fair there's only you, me, and a bunch of robots here. We're hardly out in public, are we?"

She's walked onto the ride. This ride that may involve being strapped into something and by the sound of it probably involves getting somewhat wet.

She really should've been paying attention instead of teasing Maggy like that.

"So, um, what exactly does this ride do?"

22. - Top - End - #382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Security Room]

Rhode pauses, one clawed hand back into the vents, mulling over a few more things.
    Namely the things the AI continues to pour into its head.

They really are annoying.
    Doesn't understand them very well, but that doesn't change the fact that they are. Perhaps they're worse for the bipeds?

Perhaps it is worth checking.

The raptor drops back down from the vent shaft and skulks back over to where it left the unconscious Magtok, its little vulnerability in the MagHiveMind.
    Perhaps he'd enjoy sharing the musical ministrations that Archimedes has shared?
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #383
    Bugbear in the Playground

Front Door

Hey, look what's at the door!
    It's a

7, actually!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

24. - Top - End - #384

Somewhere

Magtok's phone is ringing!
    It's Ark!
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

25. - Top - End - #385

Maggy Land

"It eats spineless cowards, and spits out champions," Magtok answers flatly, quoting the description from a sign nearby. There's a pregnancy warning, a child-clone safety warning, a warning meant for Magbots with a fragile chassis, and so on and so forth.

"I'm kidding, it's fine. Harmless, really. A wacky re-imagining of a classic Disney park ride, but with twelve times more fatali-"

Magtok winces once more, before shaking off Rhode's virtual assault.

"Annoying internet videos this time. Two girls singing and a third video about foxes. Nothing too bad."

Front Door

A turtle attack? There can be only one explanation, but just to be safe, Magbots are sent out to investigate! They're a clumsy lot, but surely it won't be too hard for them to keep their wits about them and round up the turtles without any-

****BOOOM****

Hey! That one didn't even step on a mine turtle! Dammit guys, you're not supposed to be the best, but even by MagStandards, this is hideously incompetent!

Phone

"...Hello?" Ark? Why would Ark of all people be calling? Couldn't she just talk to a Magtok in person or something? Strange...
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #386

Maggy Land

"It eats spineless cowards, and spits out champions," Magtok answers flatly, quoting the description from a sign nearby. There's a pregnancy warning, a child-clone safety warning, a warning meant for Magbots with a fragile chassis, and so on and so forth.

"I'm kidding, it's fine. Harmless, really. A wacky re-imagining of a classic Disney park ride, but with twelve times more fatali-"

Magtok winces once more, before shaking off Rhode's virtual assault.

"Annoying internet videos this time. Two girls singing and a third video about foxes. Nothing too bad."

Front Door

A turtle attack? There can be only one explanation, but just to be safe, Magbots are sent out to investigate! They're a clumsy lot, but surely it won't be too hard for them to keep their wits about them and round up the turtles without any-

****BOOOM****

Hey! That one didn't even step on a mine turtle! Dammit guys, you're not supposed to be the best, but even by MagStandards, this is hideously incompetent!

Phone

"...Hello?" Ark? Why would Ark of all people be calling? Couldn't she just talk to a Magtok in person or something? Strange...
    Mine Turtle
    'Ello!
    ****BOOOM****
    If the door is open, 4 of the mine turtles will enter, the other two wandering around outside until a Defuse Eagle eats them or something.

Phone

Because she can!
    Wanna rob a bank?
    Ark asks in her usual cheerful tone.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

27. - Top - End - #387

Phone

"Sure! Do you have a bank picked out already?" Magtok didn't even stop to think about his answer; he just said yes as soon as he heard the question. Something about bank robberies just fascinates him. Bank robbing, the quintessential villainous deed, second to holding the world for ransom, of course. That requires way too much time and effort, and holds far too many consequences to be worth it, though. Banks are much more fun for short-term, minimal consequence villainy.

Mine Turtle

Open the door?! Oh no, Magtok just telewarped them out here! Explosions going off outside is fine, but his foyer is important!
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #388

Phone

"Sure! Do you have a bank picked out already?" Magtok didn't even stop to think about his answer; he just said yes as soon as he heard the question. Something about bank robberies just fascinates him. Bank robbing, the quintessential villainous deed, second to holding the world for ransom, of course. That requires way too much time and effort, and holds far too many consequences to be worth it, though. Banks are much more fun for short-term, minimal consequence villainy.

Mine Turtle

Open the door?! Oh no, Magtok just telewarped them out here! Explosions going off outside is fine, but his foyer is important!
    Phone
    Yep! There's one in Skyside. Named Self-Proclaimed Official Bank of Skyside. Someone in Skyside, honest? they asked for it!

Mine Turtles!
    One of the mine turtles trips in front of the door and blows up!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #389

Phone

"I thought someone already blew it up in a robbery. Cut all the people inside in half, too. They seriously rebuilt the place?" Magtok hadn't expected that. Will Intrepid get mad at him if he robs a bank in the hero's turf while the vigilante and his girlfriend are off-duty? Hrm, probably, but who cares?

"Alright, let's meet up nearby and figure out our dramatic entrance. I might be a couple minutes late, I need to deal with some explosive turtles suicide-bombing all over my front door."

Magtok hangs up, and immediately heads outside through the ruined doorway to punt the nearest turtle back into the foresty mountainside from which it came. Die, terrible teenaged turtle threat!
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2014-02-03 at 10:50 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

30. - Top - End - #390

Phone

"I thought someone already blew it up in a robbery. Cut all the people inside in half, too. They seriously rebuilt the place?" Magtok hadn't expected that. Will Intrepid get mad at him if he robs a bank in the hero's turf while the vigilante and his girlfriend are off-duty? Hrm, probably, but who cares?

"Alright, let's meet up nearby and figure out our dramatic entrance. I might be a couple minutes late, I need to deal with some explosive turtles suicide-bombing all over my front door."

Magtok hangs up, and immediately heads outside through the ruined doorway to punt the nearest turtle back into the foresty mountainside from which it came. Die, terrible teenaged turtle threat!
    No, that was the First Official Bank. Okay!
    ... Wait, exploding turtles? THAT'S AWESOME! Anyways, see ya!

She hangs up.
    A mine turtle enters.
    'Ello!
    And is punted!
    Another one enters... standing just where Magtok's foot's gonna land!
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show