New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Elselund: Chapter One--New Frontier (IC)

"*giggle* Thank you, Mister." Calliope waves to him as he walks away. She turns around Hassan disappears from sight, walking back over to Yve. ~I'm done, guys!~ She calls out over the collective. ~I guess it's time to go.~

The young woman glances around, searching the crowds for any sign of the mysterious man Aeir mentioned. She doesn't spot him, but she does spot a man in glimmering scale mail that shines like dragonhide in the evening sun. Callie tugs on Yve's sleeve and points towards the man. "Do you think Grimes sent him?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolling Perception

(1d20+10)[23]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Arum listens to the gunsmith, and seems to be mulling over his words."I think you for the advice, gunsmith. I will search out this man, Davos, as well as these chroniclers, to see if they may be able to give me more information. I may well be back to procure some powder from you, though I should wait until I know what needs to be purged with flame. Arum fishes out a gold piece from his pouch, For your trouble, and the information. I thank you, smith, and may Pelor always light your way."

He heads back outside the shop, to meet back up with the group.
    ~Good work, Calliope. I'm sure that what you did for that man will earn us some good will in this new land. Now then, I believe it is about time for us to begin preparing for our dinner invitation. Yve, I think you would likely know the most about what we need to do for that. Any advice?~

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Amras watches Arum as he leaves, he straightens himself up. "So, have you decided upon the next course of action then?" Adjusting his dark glasses underneath his hood.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Closing the door to the gunsmith, Arum addresses Amras,I have, yes. My party and I have an invitation with the local powers for dinner, and it's getting about that time. First things first, we need more information. The smith was kind enough to start me on that path, and hopefully our hosts tonight will be able to do the same. I'm sure you would be welcome to join us, if you would be so inclined.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

"Local Powers hm? I don't mind joining, it would be rude to the party not to."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"All right then, friend. Now, if you'll follow me over here, I'll introduce you to the rest of our companions." Arum turns toward the Yve and Calliope, and begins to lead Amras over to them, "There are two more to meet; you already know myself and Aier, he gestures back toward the Elven lady, "The remaining two are Yve and Calliope."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

The man in ceremonial armor approaches the group.

"Knight Arum. Lady Yve and retinue," the man says in clipped tones, "I am Otto Richter, personal aide to Lord-Commander Grimes. I bid you welcome to his estate. I am to be your guide.

Richter pauses to think for a moment. "Is the talented healer one of your retinue? There is a task that she could assist with that requires some manner of discretion..." he trails off.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Calliope approaches Arum and the tall elf beside him. She glances up at Amras, pink eyes full of curiosity. The young woman extends a hand to the newcomer. "Pleased to meet you! I'm Calliope. What's your name?"

Callie can't help but overhear Otto addressing Arum and Yve and she turns around, curious and concerned. "I think I'm the one you're looking for. My name's Calliope Everlost. Do you need my help?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Richter bobs his shaven head towards Calliope. "There is a matter you may be able to help with, but such should be discussed over dinner, in a less public venue. If you were not already with the knight and the Lady, then I extend a formal invitation to you as well."
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Amras watches the conversation quietly, as Calliope turns her attention
    to the other person. Amras gives Richter a once over, his glasses concealing his eye movement and analyzing the other people he has yet to speak a word to.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Yve gives a slightly wolfish smile.

Calliope is ours. Do we have time for me to get freshened up?

The blonde woman gestures down at her travel stained armor and man's clothing.

Otherwise I can head out now if your company won't be offended by my current state.

~Hmmm, I'm not really sure what he needs me to be, not spoiled noblewoman, but maybe mercenary or wise ruler? either way I'm going to have to play this by ear. I'll try to warn you if I need to do or say anything outrageous but otherwise I think we can just be ourselves.

Yve turns to Amras

So you must be the newest member of our company. I'm Yve; I tend to do the talking. You'll have to tell us about your mission over dinner.
    Last edited by Recherché; 2014-02-04 at 06:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Richter nods with approval upon hearing that Calliope is indeed a member of the group

"Certainly there is time to make a good presentation, that is part of why I arrive with an hour yet. Lord Grimes has given full use of his estate's facilities for that very purpose," he said. Otto then leans closer with a conspiratorial whisper and adds "and likely has spent the most in Elselund on modern plumbing and comforts too."

He stands straight once more. "Though if you have your own preferences and quarters, I can meet you there in an hour."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Yve doesn't even try to keep the delight off her face at the mention of plumbing after months on the ship where privacy was limited and hot water even harder to find.

Let me go get a few things from the ship and then I will gladly come with you sir.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wouldn't bother, the mission I have is simple and droll. I'm more interested to what brings yourselves to this land."

Amras turns to Richter bowing cordially, "Thank you for the board and meal, I would like to hear more details on this as I am relatively new here."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Yve gives a short laugh.

I'm not sure I believe in simple and droll. Everything has meaning becuase everything has cause and effect and if you go up or down the chain far enough you're bound to get to something of world shattering importance. The key is to find the truth behind the simple and droll and to find the lever point where a single word can change the path of history.

~What do you think guys, is he really that clueless or is he playing the deep game and I just revealed my cards? I'm betting on the former but things could get interesting if the latter is true.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

~You just revealed a card. His Lord told him to find out what he could about us. I thought I passed that on...~ Aeir's tone is definitely sarcastic, but it's also kind. ~Don't worry though, you didn't reveal all that much. But let's put it like this. When one of the High Elven Lords sics a (possibly) bodyguard on you, it pays to be extremely careful. Just...trust me on that.~
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2014-02-06 at 05:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Arum turns to Otto and offers a hand, "Ah, welcome to our company, Otto. We are truly grateful for your lords hospitality - would you accompany us to the ship for a moment, or prefer to wait for us here? The lady Yve has a few things left on board that we need to grab before we head to Lord Grimes' estate. I know we all look forward to making ourselves presentable as soon as possible, though."

~You're alright, Yve. I may have set several of our cards on the table due to my temper earlier. I'm sure the elf will be watching us closely though, and I'll do my best to let you do the talking.~

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Calliope looks over at her friends, then glances cautiously at Amras. ~He seems okay to me... but alright. I'll keep quiet around him.~

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Yve hurries back to the ship and grabs a large pack out of her bag and heads back with Richter.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    Yve gives a short laugh.

I'm not sure I believe in simple and droll. Everything has meaning becuase everything has cause and effect and if you go up or down the chain far enough you're bound to get to something of world shattering importance. The key is to find the truth behind the simple and droll and to find the lever point where a single word can change the path of history.

~What do you think guys, is he really that clueless or is he playing the deep game and I just revealed my cards? I'm betting on the former but things could get interesting if the latter is true.
    "The lever point where a single word can change the path of history hm? I've never been one to worry about history. It'll do what it does anyways so who am I to try to change it?" Amras laughs a little amused by Yve.
    Last edited by Nightraiderx; 2014-02-07 at 03:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Upon everyone's return from the ship, Richter nods and beckons the group to follow.

"If we are all in agreement I shall lead you to my lord's residence so that you may prepare for the banquet. If you have any questions about the town I would be pleased to answer them along the way," he says as he begins to lead your group down the cobbled streets of the high market. Above, the sky has begun the redden in hue, shot through with veins of green by the persistent aurora. Along the streets, workers set witchfire alight along the lamp posts and in the distance the symbol of the sun begins to glow a sullen red as it is heated upon the temple spires.

Grimes shakes his head and sighs. "It's rather wasteful, and should be unnecessary this far from the forest," he said.

Otto leads you through the market, ever upwards along the winding paths of Volna until the shops give way to well maintained houses, thatched cottages and masonry, not the scrap and flotsam of old vessels but new construction.

"This is high town," he explains. "Volna has grown prosperous since its founding and we can afford to expand the town's privilege and prestige." He points ahead to a gated mansion at the top of the vast hill. It is magnificent, a sprawling construction that could be called a palace had it been located in the old world. Three stories, with a central tower, all of grey stone and wrought iron. Torchlight glows in every window, and at the top of the tower one burns far brighter with the argent light of witchflame- and lots of it.

"That is the house of Grimes, and I will lead you to it's guest quarters so that you may make yourselves ready"

A footman in house livery-- the same worn by Richter-- pushes open the double mahogany doors and Otto leads you inside. A polished hardwood floor with a rich carpet runs down a great entry hall, drake oil lamps burn in wall sconces and the severed heads of some of Elselund's more wild fauna adorn the walls, spaced with maps, tapestries and portraits in gilded frames.

Otto leads you to a door to the left of a grand sweeping staircase. Turning left he leads you down another hallway-- less ornate than the entry, but still adorned with portraits and souveniers; masks of alien design, fine arms from Chellende-- until he reaches a door near the end and ushers you forward.

"This room is for the men, and the one opposite for your ladyfolk. I shall return in forty-five minutes, unless you feel that more time is required." With a nod, he leaves.

Inside the men's guestroom, you can see Captain Hamish, first mate Samir and Galston talking among themselves. As soon as Otto leaves, Hamish turns towards you and asks "Did you learn anything?"

[any questions you had for Otto during the walk will be answered as if the walk is still happening]

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Calliope stares in wonder at the burning emerald sky. ~It's beautiful.~ Her words are partly mental and partly a whisper. "Why is the sky this way?" She asks. When the nighttime sun begins to glow she glances at it, confused. "Is... is that supposed to protect the people? But it's so small. And not very bright either. Do the other towns have little suns, too?"

Calliope marvels at Grimes estate. "It's so big! How many people live here? You could fit a thousand sailors in a house like this!" She waves at the footman and once inside watches the taxidermied heads with something approaching reverence, as if they could spring to life at any second.

When they turn down the hallway plastered with masks and artworks Callie lets out a little scream that her mental net barely contains. ~Masks! I love masks! I lost my old mask in the sea, but some of these look just like it? Can I have one?~ She speaks non-verbally, unsure of who to ask.

Calliope takes a few tentative steps towards the ladies guestroom, waiting for someone else to take the first move.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

[again, time borkery]

Otto smiles at Calliope's innocent question. "I don't know about the sky, perhaps one of the library sages does. This land is magical, and its beauty is almost consolation enough for the terror of her nights. As to those nights, the arts of men and arms when allied with the light of engineering keeps us safe, though the church makes claims to that role. While the knights were here I could even believe it," he says nodding towards Arum.

"They say it is lit by the faith of Pelor's children. It grows brighter as their ritual beats on. Does it protect us by it's light? I cannot say. I spoke to one of the book-people, and he says its strength is not in its light but in the belief people have in it, so who can say. They may have shrines in other towns, and Chedwicke has a great cathedral, but Volna has become the second bastion of Pelor in this land." he says with a bit of a grimace.

When you reach to doors of the manor, Otto chuckles a bit at the question. "Lord Grimes lives here, as does his mistress, and a staff of about forty, though it is partially devoted to being a governmental office and secondary watch barracks, which increases the number a fair bit. Grimes said there was too much empty space and moved his work in with him. It could comfortably fit two hundred, and in a pinch far more, thought likely not a thousand, though i suppose they are used to being cramped aboard those ships"

Calliope: After Otto leaves, you step towards the ladies room. The floorboard offer out a creak and you hear rapid footsteps and the door is flung open by a haggard woman in grey robes clasped with a silver book and quill sign. "Milord, his condition is only worsening-" she she exclaims before realizing that you are not the intended recipient of that information. She composes herself "I'm sorry pay that no mind, i thought you were another. I am Mirabeth, I take it you are guests of Lord Grimes?"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

"So how did they manage to build a town here with the forest the way that it is? How was it founded, who did find it? How long has this place been... I'm sorry that's probably alot of questions at once to answer." Amras scratched the back of his cloak a bit embarrassed.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

What a perfectly horrible opportunity; I need the information but the questions I ask will reveal much about me both to Grimes and to the elf. Do I ask the questions of a ruler, a manipulator, a socialite, a warrior or something else altogether. this would be so much easier if I could guess what our host wants of us and me in particular.

So far he knows that I'm imperious. He knows that I can be persuasive. The captain seemed interested in the fact that I do not balk when challenged or when the situation seems dangerous. So how do they view me? A noblewoman? I doubt that most rulers would be enthusiastic to welcome someone like me if they knew what I was trained for unless they were very sure of my allegiances, very sure of their position or very desperate. Grimes doesn't know exactly who and what I am; he can't be sure of me. His position here is threatened at least somewhat by the church so he's not that sure of his position. He wouldn't have stayed in power this long by being a fool . . . . Conclusion: He's just that desperate.

Which means Grimes will not going to turn me away simply because of the questions I ask. He can't afford to. But it also means that things are bad and I need all the information I can get. the only limiting factor is Amras, and he's too politically naive to understand the nuances of the questions I ask. He will report them too his master, but they will be lacking context. He knows me as a manipulator based on the information I already let leak and the difference between ruler, socialite and manipulator is always slight. he does not know me as a warrior. So that's what's safe

I don't suppose you keep a census, Richter? It would most likely be the fastest way to answer all my questions at once. Otherwise I'm bound to keep you going for hours.

Yve lets out a soft laugh to make sure that the slight innuendo registers in Richter's mind. Just a little bit of tension to grease the wheels of social interaction.

On a more immediate note, who are the actors in this performance? What can you tell me about prominent families and important individuals?

~I'm sure I can find you a mask at the market Callie. Oh and I'm sorry if you overheard that bit of rambling in my head. I tend to do that when every word counts.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Arum stays quiet and walks along with the group, seemingly lost in thought.

Once inside the compound, he perks up a bit and looks around with eager eyes. ~You know, masks aren't a half bad idea. Calli, if I don't get to the market with you, make sure to get one for me as well. Never know when we may need to hide our faces. Or, perhaps, to dawn new faces from which stories can grow. Hmm...

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

~It's okay, Yve. You can talk - er, think - all you want. I'll listen.~

~I'll make sure to get a mask for you too, Arum.~

Calliope takes a few steps forward, smiling at Mirabeth. "Yeah, that's us." The young woman extends her hand to the haggard lady. "I'm Calliope Everlost. Pleased to meet you!" Callie leans to the side, looking past Mirabeth to the open door. "Is something happening? Is somebody hurt?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

[let's do the time bork again!]

Amras:

Richter grins at your questions, it's a quick and savage grin at that. "It helps that my ancestors had the good sense to stay away from the forest," he chuckles. "Leave that to the damn fools in Lughsande to live on the cursed border, wearing masks to the forest cannot see their faces. No, my dad was an unabashed pirate who saw the opportunities afforded by legitimate trade and offered a ship to the first Lord Grimes, Gustav. Gustav commissioned two ships and got some drakers on board with the idea. Those five ships founded the first permanent dwellings in Volna. Gustav was the smart one of the bunch, knew all about business and offered dirt cheap land which drew more like minded men here. Died rich as a king and left it to his son, though the other founders are far from poor. That was maybe 23 years ago?"

Yve:

Otto has an easy grin, and it washes across his young face again. The cold professional facade he wore at first meeting is just that- a facade only. "I'll not run out of breath that easy," innuendo casually filling his voice as well. "As to the big families, you'd be looking at some of the four founders, Lord Grimes and Ichabod Lyev- he was one of those whaling captains. The circle of merchants are more of a guild, half democracy and half chaos, but as an imports trust that have unmitigated power. The churches hold power, the librarians less and more limited to how the commons feel about them. The Pelorites... well, you saw. Those are matters I should not be discussing though, I'd not preempt my lord.

Calliope:

Mirabeth reaches out and timidly clasps your hand for a moment. Terror fills the young woman's eyes as she realizes that she has spilled more than she should. "Nothing of the sort!" she stammers, he cheeks going red with embarrassment. "Everlost? I've never heard that name before. Where are you from?" She is painfully obviously trying to change the subject.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Yve returns Otto's smile though with a touch of shyness now that isn't entirely feigned. As she listens to him she traces over her lips with her finger in a gesture of concentration that neither her father nor any of the tutors had every managed to completely eradicate.

Well okay then. Can you go over demographics and economy? Who lives in Volna, what are they're races, professions, ages and religion? What are their worries and concerns? do they have any strong opinions or prejudices I need to be concerned about?

Where do you get your money? What do you need to trade for and who do you do business with?

You said the Merchant's circle is chaos, what do you mean by that? Also what can you tell me about the librarians?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Richter pauses for a moment and collects himself, as if mentally checking off figures.

"Demographics? Volna is likely the biggest colony outside of Chellende, though we didn't have anywhere near the start they did. Between the main town and surrounding farmsteads, we must have a good nine thousand souls. Now we don't have import restrictions... or didn't I should say, so there is good profit in trade with the old world. In fact, maybe six thousand people are employed between draking and sea trade, alongside the associated professions. We supply the drake oil that most lamps in Elselund rely on, and they breed here like nowhere in the old world, so we do brisk trade there as well, given that the wars have cut heavily into their own production. The rest are farmers, food has to come from somewhere after all. We have our share of craftsmen and of course the militia is a thing, though with out population having even a thousand men at arms is a bit difficult. We trade with Lughsande for alchemical reagents that only the forest can provide, and you'd best imagine those fetch a kings ransom back in the old country given the risk in obtaining them and the pain of transporting them."

We're mostly human, followed by orcs, though hobgoblins fleeing the conquest make up a fair portion of low-town. Almost no elves here, save the horned one and his lot," Otto trails off for a moment to glance towards Amras. "Probably a few catfolk, but they're more rare than the elves here"

[Human 60%, Orc 30%, Hobgoblin 10%, everything else negligible]

As to religion, that's become tricky lately. Pelorites made up the majority of the population, though not by much, and none too devout either. The followers of Aelu would be next, insofar as you can call them organized religion. They're a bit quieter about their faith now, as you can imagine. Religion is something that Lord Grimes will let you know more about. Beyond those two, Vassily, the shipwreck god has the biggest following, the church isn't ready to piss off the sailors that bad yet.

[Pelor 35%, Aelu 30%, Vassily 25%, all other 10%]

When you mention prejudice, Richter grimaces. "I'd like to think that a bunch of pirates and refugees fleeing from inquisition would be above that, but I'm a bit more realistic. If Sir Arum wasn't a knight I'd tel him to watch his back. That conspiracy crap has made it out here as well. You won't get it as much from the sailors- anyone who spends enough time on a ship knows better than to piss off the man sleeping two feet away who might chuck you overboard.

I reckon it doesn't help that there are a lot of hobgoblins in the circle of merchants. That lot is the business sense of Volna, they set prices for exports and imports and write the trade treaties. They are not very popular given their propensity to price small competitors out of the market. They demand a cut from most of the local businesses who grudgingly pay up lest they get undersold and fast."

Otto lets out an exagerated sigh and raises an eyebrow. "See, not even out of breath."