New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Forbidden Land of Sundara: Insurgency IC

"Yes! Yes! That's how a jungle should be approached. I know that there are all sorts of beings in the world and not all of them are made to actually live in nature, but those who don't shouldn't go burning it down.

"I lost some Fae friends. They stayed out of the first fighting for the most part, but when the Order started poisoning huge swathes of their homes and killing them just to make a road there were a lot who fought back."

Branna shakes her head sadly, "Obviously they didn't stop the order and a lot of them died. Those who didn't die fled deeper into the forest or have hidden around here.

"I used to feel like them - leave the city-folk to fight among the city-folk, but that doesn't work with the Order. Once they finish taking over a city they then start attacking everything else too. I don't think it's a good idea to just leave such an evil people alone until they happen to be on your own branch."

She looks at Katria a moment, the animated face stilling for a moment into careful consideration. "It sounds like you aren't happy with them either. Would you like," she paused and rephrased. "What got you so unhappy with the Order?"

There, that would be a slightly safer way to phrase it.
    Spoiler: I am playing...
    Show
    Thanks to Elder Tsufu for the awesome Mat Cauthon avatar!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Katria

Katria listens to Branna nodding consent at everything she said. When questioned a guarded look flits across her face. Katria looks around quickly making sure of no eavesdroppers. She takes a moment to look down and place her left hand into her right before looking back up. The seriousness of her gaze strikes you to the heart almost.

She leans so close you can stare into the depths of her eyes and she starts talking low enough only you hear "I was here when the fighting started, although worried, I thought the council could handle the war. When it was over me and my family was among the prisoners sent out of Kiiska. The order pushed us into the Dessert without proper preparation, or provisions. I watched as many of my friends and even my parents succumbed to the harshness of that environment. My happy and content life was shattered, my home defiled, my precious friends and family killed. when I questioned the elders about it the answers they gave didn't satisfy me. I came back with those who are determined to take back what is ours. I don't want to finish with just taking back our home, the Order of Mornay must be made to feel justice. Their threat must be greatly diminished before I will be happy."

She leans back and goes quiet studying Brannas reaction or response.
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2013-12-12 at 09:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Alchemist’s fire will be a good start, and if you have any rags and lantern oil you could spare that would help as well. Khallis, a question about this well; were I heading to it from the prison, would I be walking towards our escape route or away from it?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Branna's eyes go wide as the tale of her family's death comes forth. At the end she is nodding vigorously.

"They won't stop. I know the type of creature. Occasionally you'll find some creature that is so sick that it loses all reason and will charge about attacking everything it sees. I've recently learned how to cure those diseases in animals, but until then, the only thing I could do was kill the animal to save everything else around it."

She shakes her head and leans in, lowering her voice. "There's no herbs or spells that can heal an entire people, and so the only thing left is to take it down to save everything around it. I agree!"

She leans in even further. "Those guards weren't attacking me. They had just raped some elf and killed her husband. They were mad. Sick. The only thing to do was put them down like a sick animal."

She shrugs. "I do my part where I can. I can't cure the whole people, but where I can I'll limit the disease."
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Katria

Katria quietly listens to Branna nodding consent at various parts, she scowls when she hears about the guards indiscretions. She looks like she's contemplating something, then leans in only far enough to limit eavesdroppers and speaks in a low voice only loud enough for them two. "How would you like to be a part of our group to retake Kiiska? I'm sure we could help each other deal with the 'disease'. Either way do you know of any other rangers or druids who would be willing or able to help?"
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2013-12-12 at 09:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Branna's jaw drops for a second, and then another. Then an excited squeal escapes her lips and she gives a quick clap!

"Eeee! Oh that would be wonderful! We would ...."

She suddenly clamps her lips tight and looks around. In a whisper she leans over to Katria's ear.

"Who is 'we'? Are you part of a secret group?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Katria

Katria smiles mischievously and chuckles at Brannas enthusiasm. She looks around and tries to discern if they are being observed or listened to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    listen (1d20+10)[22] spot (1d20+3)[7]

Talking in a whisper she replies "I will divulge some specifics when we get to a more private setting. I hope you have no problem working with elven wizards?"

She leans back and resumes talking at a normal volume. "You know me, however I don't think I have ever seen you. How is that? I thought I knew most of the people who would come around and watch or partake in our festivities. Nice panther by the way. I don't think I've ever been this close to one before."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Feeona

Spoiler
    Show

Feeona's eyes widened at mention of who controlled the Steel Pits. “No, you can't. The both of you. We have to get Khallis' friends free, but it's known the half-elves aren't disciplined, and they weren't treated kindly before the occupation. What if they returned that abuse? You both might be supporting people too hungry and thirsting to run, or else too hurt. Worshippers of – of that horrible god,” and she was forever careful not to mention his name, ever since being told as a child that to name a deity was to ask its attention, “are mean, dishonest, firebugs. They won't second-guess attacking just because you're carrying wounded. Escaping towards them is nothing but risk. If that's the only way, safe a vial,” she urged.

If they put in an appearance, try to spot the smallest of the clan, and lob the Alchemist Fire at him. To engulf their weakest; that's a gesture of friendship to them.” The warrior-girl shook her head with wide-eyed disquiet. “If he catches fire, they think it their god's blessing. It's cruel. But if we have to go that way, it might be the only thing that keeps you all safe.

Spoiler: Knowledge History Roll
    Show

History roll to try and know more about the Marshal.

(1d20+8)[15]
    Last edited by Star_In_a_Sky; 2013-11-17 at 08:16 PM.
    Hot then you're cold.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

DAELRIC, FEEONA
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The well should be in a square in the opposite direction of the trail. You can see the trail being nestled between two shanty houses. It's easy to miss so look out for a red sign above the alleyway."

Spoiler: Knowledge (History)
    Show
    From her brief service in the army, Feeona knew of Field Marshal Arwell Wessing as an old man steeped in military tradition. He is in his seventies, and having hailed from a long line of aristocrats, he bore a special fondness for heavily armoured cavalry and conventional set-piece battles. His tactics during the initial push towards Kiiska were completely unsuited for the dense jungle battles and he sent thousands of men to their deaths.

KATRIA
    Spoiler
    Show
    Katria couldn't find anybody listening in on their conversation. The archers on the other table seemed drawn to their own discussions while the bartender and his daughter minded their own business.
    Last edited by Plushie Arz; 2013-11-17 at 08:45 PM.
    THE FORBIDDEN LAND OF SUNDARA

Spoiler
    Show

IC | OOC
    INSURGENCY
    IC I | IC II | IC III
    OOC I | OOC II | OOC III

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Daelric turned to Feeona ,You know, not all of Jagon’s followers are screaming fanatics. I cut my teeth under a half-orc who was one of his worshipers when I started with my guild. He was like a second father to a lot of the younger guild members. Daelric scowled as he looked Feeona straight in the eye. At least he was until the Order got ahold of him. The bastards cut him down in the street when he tried to stop them from beating one of the guild's child members to death.

Daelric turned back to Khallis, The well's position is going to be a mixed blessing. It means the guards will be drawn away from our escape route, but it'll also make it easier for the guards to put out the fire. Ah well, I suppose it's still better than the alternative. I'll just have to make sure the fire's really going before we lure them out.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Feeona

Spoiler
    Show

That monsters wear disguises, I do not doubt. That innocents have been harmed, I do not doubt. That these horrors must halt, I do not doubt,” Feeona replied with a voice low and firm and held his gaze with the uncanny ease of one that held convictions as deep as any ocean, and a will to see it done as broad as the sky. Only after this did she blink, many times over, and frown.

You've lost someone kind and brave. I'm sorry for that. I don't know that type of pain; Mornay hasn't deemed me strong enough to bear it yet. But if you're going to hear my words, please listen. I've said what I said of that god's followers, and no more than that.

Feeona had studied religion long enough to know that Jagon's followers could be described in many ghastly ways, but screaming fanatics tended not to be one. The Midnight Syndicate wouldn't have proven a constant enemy were they easily tracked and plainly fought, for the Order excelled there.

Anyway, the option remains. You two are going to be the first protecting Khallis' friends and heading into the Steel Pits. It's right you two decide then, but I still say you should save a vial. It's already been said that the half elves might well leave a fire burning. Use just one vial on a house and whatever extra scraps we might have to start the fire. With a little patience the plan still holds, but everyone is safer when we escape.” She smiled at the thought.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last post for today. Night all.
    Hot then you're cold.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DAELRIC, FEEONA
    Spoiler
    Show
    "One vial, two vials. Doesn't make much difference. Not when you've got half a jar of palm oil. That stuff burns hot." Khallis squeezed Feeona's arm. "It won't be half-elves manning the prison but Order soldiers. So you'll distract them with the fire and then meet us down in the Steel Pit trail?"

Spoiler
    Show

IC | OOC
    INSURGENCY
    IC I | IC II | IC III
    OOC I | OOC II | OOC III

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Daelric let out a sigh. It was the typical mix of platitudes and religious gibberish he’d heard several times before. The sole solace he took from it was that this time he actually believed it was meant to be sincere; Feeona didn’t appear to have an ounce of deception in her body.
    Alright, there’s no point in debating this all night. Khallis, how quickly can you get everything ready?

My Homebrew

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Baku immediately stops walking when he spots the soldiers. He tries to make eye contact with Gulbeck and shake his head from side to side with the minimum movement possible. She better understand that there are too many soldiers in this patrol for just us two. Then he freezes in place, hoping to blend into the tree trunk behind him.

Spoiler: Hide
    Show
    (1d20+17)[25]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

BAKU
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gulbeck nodded and the squad of soldiers below proceeded along the Undercity, making their presence known to half the city. The orc and hobgoblin waited until the soldiers were out of sight before moving onwards. "Elf conclave close." Grunted Gulbeck. "Keep eye for Order." Approximately half an hour later, they noticed rustling in branches approximately sixty feet away.

DM: Spot check.

DAELRIC, FEEONA
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Give me ten minutes."
    Khallis, Daelric and Feeona made their way through the platforms to the Redmaiden District. It was far quicker travelling via the elevated walkways and with the elf guiding them, they traversed dozens of shortcuts that would have otherwise been hidden among the tangle of ferns and branches. Eventually, the elevation dipped and the group found themselves back on the hard cobble of the Undercity. Wisps of Faerie Fire and conjured lights bathed the area in pale glow but the shadows of the great blackwoods and whitewoods still filled the precipices with darkness. Nearly eighty feet away and tucked below a row of timber shacks, the group could see Redmaiden Hall and the glinting spears of the three guards at the door.
    Last edited by Plushie Arz; 2013-11-18 at 05:30 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

IC | OOC
    INSURGENCY
    IC I | IC II | IC III
    OOC I | OOC II | OOC III

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

At Gulbeck's words, Baku scans his surroundings carefully, making sure to glance up and down as well as around.
    Last edited by sunwukong; 2013-11-18 at 04:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BAKU
    Spoiler
    Show

A black nightingale flew from the shrubs and into the upper branches above Baku. Gulbeck startled. "Scared by a bird. Hate birds." She grumbled, turning away. However, the hobgoblin had never seen a black nightingale before and he looked up into the branches above him. The bird was gone. In its place was an elven woman dressed head to toe in dark leathers. A midnight feathered cloak was draped around her shoulders and a black cowl covered her upper face. She sang.

It was an unearthly song, the crescendo rising to eerie heights but her voice never broke. The hobgoblin felt the song reaching the centre of his being, shaking his will.

DM: Will save.
    Last edited by Plushie Arz; 2013-11-18 at 08:48 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

IC | OOC
    INSURGENCY
    IC I | IC II | IC III
    OOC I | OOC II | OOC III

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, I tend to travel all over. I've found that most druids tend to stick to their own area, caring for it and not traveling much outside. I've always had the wanderlust. I've swing by Kiiska every few months - it's a delightful city, for a city.

"Mahb and I," she pats the panther's shoulder "will relax here for a few weeks before heading out again. I was out when the fighting first began and stayed away because I didn't want to get tangled up in city-stuff. I'm not sure that was the best decision, but hindsight is perfect."

She pauses and says a bit more deliberately, "I get along with just about everyone, elves to goblins to lizardmen. I even traveled with a wizard once - a bit odd but a nice enough girl. And I even know a few fae are probably sticking around the city's edges in spite of everything."

Back to her more boisterous speaking nature, "Yeah, I get along with lots of beings and I like to meet new people. It's part of why I travel around."

The look after her statement was more serious than the carefree sounding words, though.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Katria

Katria listens intently to Branna. "Curiosity is good, that's how we learn about the world around us."

"I fault no creature for staying out of Kiiskas war with the order, we must all make our own way in this world."

Katria leans forward a bit and lowers her voice. "I asked about the fey because I have a dryad friend that I haven't seen since before the start of all this. I just want to know what happened to her. That the order hasn't destroyed her tree or captured her for whatever reason. I guess that means I'm taking a trip outside the city here soon."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

"You truly don't understand the depth of your evil, do you?" Shenra's fingers fiddled with her binds, but seemed unable to break them. "They are no terrorist. But if you prefer to speak such words, you should know that I am. And if there was ever a larger mistake," she calmly awaited the time to come when the binds would release and kept talking to attempt to ensure the guard remained present on his stool. She calculated a handful of reactions he could take without breaking stride in conversation, only pausing long enough for a breath. "It was allowing anyone to stop you from killing me before."
    Last edited by CryWolfCorrupt; 2013-11-18 at 06:09 PM.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Shenra: Human Wu Jen(3.5)
    Awesome Avatar by gurgleflep!

Weekends will be difficult for me to post.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Feeona

Spoiler
    Show

Feeona couldn't feel Khallis' hand under the couter, but she smiled gladly for the gesture. A nod. “Distract and regroup.

Through the plant paths and bushy byways, the bastard sword that had slept on Feeona's hip would slap at a metal leg when the rushed, tussling in its wooden bed for a nightmare of striking out at the well-meaning soldiers that had been told that they would make the world a sounder place.

No one gets harmed if it all swings smoothly.

The close helmet visor was put up as she turned to them.

Who lights the fire?

Hot then you're cold.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

I’ll do it. Arson is a surprisingly tricky science, and if this isn’t done right we risk the guards putting the fire out too quickly.
    Daelric pulled his hood up and quickly walked by the makeshift prison, never breaking his pace. The only outward acknowledgement he even gave to the building’s existence was a brief nod he gave to the guards as he walked past, which he used as an opportunity to take a surreptitious glance at the building’s windows.

Spoiler: Spot Check
    Show
    (1d20+9)[25]
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2013-11-18 at 10:43 AM.

My Homebrew

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know! It's so fun to meet new people."

Though her tone is bright and cheery, Branna's volume is subdued.

"Like for example, if you wanted to meet some beings you've never seen before, I suggest the Fae. They're reclusive and I'll bet you've never met one before. They're really interesting people.

"Some of the more," she pauses, looking for the right word, "... martially inclined fought against the Order and most of those died. Many who could, moved deeper into the jungles. Unfortunately, Dryads are bound to their trees and can't flee. Any who were in the path of the Order died. Danm the order to Mechanus."

Branna's face very suddenly takes on a very sad look, dramatically, morosely, forlornly looking down into her empty soup bowl.

"I suddenly miss the jungle. I think I'll go out to reconnect. You know. Druid stuff. I might run into a Fae even. Have you heard of any Fae around here?"

She looks up with a wink at odds with her downcast expression.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    (1d20+4)[20]

Baku's yellowish eyes widen as the elf's melody begins to tamper with his mind. But Baku's a warrior who has seen his entire tribe slaughtered by the Order of the Morning Sun...surely he hasn't come this far to be brought down by some singing elf! A deep growl escapes his throat as he tries to resist the effects of the song.
    Last edited by sunwukong; 2013-11-18 at 02:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Katria

Katria winks back. She gives Branna a curious look. "You said you went out into the Jungle when you were younger and became a druid. What about your parents? Other family members? What called to you so much that you became this wild jungle expert? Do druids get together in groups or is there only a few in any specific area? Do druids just talk to animals and aid the plant growth or is it more than that?"
    Last edited by Vertharrad; 2013-12-12 at 09:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

BAKU
    DM: Baku was fascinated for the duration of the performance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the hobgoblin’s best attempts, Baku lost himself in the elf’s song and he stood fixated at her performance, paying little heed to anything else around him. He didn’t know how long he stood but her song stopped and he blinked. He could see a sardonic smile on the elf’s lips and she spoke in a throaty, alluring drawl. Nearby, he noticed Gulbeck rubbing her head with a dazed look on her face.
    “A hobgoblin and orc, high in the trees and far away from home. You are far from the Steel Pits at any rate. Hogarth won’t find any slaves here.”

DAELRIC, FEEONA
    Spoiler
    Show
    The soldiers paid little heed to the hooded man as he walked past them. Daelric took the chance to note the locations of the windows in the building. They were crafted of some stained glass and set in wooden frames ten feet from the ground. He could see a flickering light behind them and he heard the sound of men laughing inside.
    Looking around, Daelric also noticed that the shanty terraces surrounding the prison were all derelict and boarded up, as though the Order soldiers had forcibly evicted their former residents. A fire in any one of those could easily spread and threaten the structure.

SHENRA
    DM: No spells with somatic components. Is Shenra using a Stilled Spell? I also notice her character sheet is missing feats.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shendra’s bonds were tight. The guard shrugged. “Suit yourself. You’re the one getting the noose. I bet they’re going to have fun hanging you.”

DM: +200 XP to all for the roleplaying.
    Last edited by Plushie Arz; 2013-11-18 at 05:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

IC | OOC
    INSURGENCY
    IC I | IC II | IC III
    OOC I | OOC II | OOC III

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Daelric walked for a minute or two until he found an abandoned shanty that fit his needs: just far enough that the guards would be unlikely to notice the fire until he wanted them altered, but close enough that the fire would be a credible threat to the prison. Once he found what he was looking for, Daelric slipped inside and went to work, prying open windows to let the air circulate, splashing the palm oil Khallis provided near all the points of entry and spreading whatever rags and other kindling he had available over the floor. As he finished his preparations, Daelric muttered a short prayer his mentor had always offered to Jagon whenever they had committed arson, as much to spite his colleague as to show deference to the fire god.

Spoiler: Orcish
    Show
    Jagon grant power to this blaze
    And help these flames this building raze

This one’s for you, Grosh, you crazy bastard. With that, Daelric lobbed one of the flasks of alchemist’s fire into the home, and then slunk into the shadows, doubling back to the prison.

Spoiler: Hide and Move Silently
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+11)[29]
    Move Silently: (1d20+11)[12]

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

DAELRIC
    Spoiler
    Show
    True to Khallis’ promises, the palm oil erupted into flames as it made contact with the alchemist’s fire. Even at a distance, Daelric could feel the heat washing over the building and he heard the loud crackling as flames licked at the timber structure. The fire was growing and cinders rose from the burning building. He knew that in a few minutes, the flames would grow hotter and spread. The three guards at the front of the prison hadn’t noticed his presence or the fire around the corner. One soldier, a young man in his early twenties looked quizzically in Daelric’s direction but quickly diverted his attention to the empty streets in front of him.

FEEONA
    Spoiler
    Show
    “It’s burning. He’s done it.”
    Feeona could see a dull orange glow rising above the rooftops of some buildings around the corner. She waited until the glow reached a particular intensity and cinders started to rise from the flames. She could smell the acrid odour of smoke and burnt sap. Khallis gripped her shoulder. “Go now. I’ll meet you at the trail.” With a nimbleness rarely seen in humans, the elf leapt onto the trees and started running along the branches towards the complex.

Spoiler
    Show

IC | OOC
    INSURGENCY
    IC I | IC II | IC III
    OOC I | OOC II | OOC III

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Daelric silently cursed his clumsiness as he slipped behind the prison building; if that guard had been just a little more attentive everything could have been ruined. Taking great care to remain out of sight, Daelric slithered up the prison’s outer walls until he had a clear view of the prison’s entrance. Now, it was all up to Feeona.

My Homebrew

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground

"We shall see. But retribution shall be swift upon your head for the innocent lives you have taken." Her bonds too tight to wiggle out of, she leaned against the wall. Ras was taking an awfully long time to get the message back to the resistance that she was here. She sighed. I suppose an owl can only do so much to find a group its never met before... Her time was coming to an end, but surely Ona would not just abandon her when her work was so important?

Ona, please grant me one last fire. I wish only to do your bidding and correct the cycle of life. I have not a care for the pestilences that wage war on each other; I only seek to right the innumerable wrongs committed by the Order. Please. Do not extinguish my flame yet. Allow me my opportunity that the woods and earth alike shall know your righteous campaign.
    Last edited by CryWolfCorrupt; 2013-11-18 at 07:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Shenra: Human Wu Jen(3.5)
    Awesome Avatar by gurgleflep!

Weekends will be difficult for me to post.